PDA

View Full Version : lesson 1: Questions and Answer Thread

Wazeeri
7th October 2008, 00:41
Dear All,

Please don't post in the main lesson thread.

That is only for brother AceBase.

All questions should be posted in here otherwise the thread will get cluttered and it will be difficult for anyone joining later to catch up.

Jazakallah

Wazeeri
7th October 2008, 02:01
AceBase Bhai

Are you typing the homeowork or have you forgotten to post it?

Wazeeri
7th October 2008, 02:02
BTW

I love the format
Doesn't take up too much of our time and still we come away with something to practice and learn.

Jazak Allah.

shabs100
7th October 2008, 02:03
guys has homework been given yet?

Wazeeri
7th October 2008, 02:05
I think Ace is typing it up.

Ace Base
7th October 2008, 02:08
Please bear with me a few minutes. the missuses need help with their uni coursework!!!

Ace Base
7th October 2008, 02:26
Homework has been posted please note that Question 6 has now been changed.

mamoo gogo
7th October 2008, 03:02
Akhi, is there any extra credit?

Ace Base
7th October 2008, 03:14
Akhi, is there any extra credit?

Question 7 carries three points. The rest of the questions carry two points.

Ace Base
7th October 2008, 03:33
New bonus question in Lesson 1 thread.

Please attempt it if you can!

Ace Base
7th October 2008, 03:55
Mohsin 786

Akh, May Allah reward you for the zeal and for being the first one to submit homework.

However, you've made a few mistakes. Perhaps you'd like to re-read the lesson and attempt again?

Mohsin
7th October 2008, 03:57
Oh dear really? Ok then, why not :)
Thanks AB

mamoo gogo
7th October 2008, 04:03
Akh Ace Base, can you post more on the Anis Sorosh-Ahmed Deedat incident either here or in the TP section?

pakistanbest
7th October 2008, 04:14
AB is a great teacher, Inshallah i will do my homework on wednesday. Thanks AB for your time and help

pakistanbest
7th October 2008, 04:15
btw where do i do my homework and how do i submit it?

Mohsin
7th October 2008, 04:21
btw where do i do my homework and how do i submit it?

Please use an Arabic keyboard to answer your questions. Ace Base wont accept anything else.

You may use one here: http://www.arabic-keyboard.org/

One you've completed your homework, you PM Wazeeri or any other moderator designated for this task.

All the info's here http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=62498

Ace Base
7th October 2008, 04:33
Akh Ace Base, can you post more on the Anis Sorosh-Ahmed Deedat incident either here or in the TP section?

In Surah Maryam Allah reports Easa alhis Salaam as saying, ''Peace be upon me the day I was born, the day I die and the day I shall be raised alive''

Anis Sorosh translated this as the ''die I died'', indicating Jesus peace be upon him died just as the Bible claimed.

My eldest daughter is five MashaAllah and even though her mum is English, she knows enough Arabic to know the difference between die and died.

Who was Anis trying to fool?

I'm all for ''lets be gentle with the disbelievers'' but when they try and pull a fast one like this it just shows them up for what they really are. If their Deen is the truth then why the need to lie and misguide? Or perhaps he really can't speak Arabic in which case why is he debating with Deedat claiming to be an Arab Christian?

mamoo gogo
7th October 2008, 05:05
JazakAllah Khair, Akhi.

Ace Base
8th October 2008, 00:56
Very few are attempting the 8th bonus question. So far only Genghis has attempted it with a very interesting answer.

Come on lads, Wazeeri, Momo, Merc, MIG; I know you can give it a good go. No cheating from the Hadith books though!!! Allah is watching you!

pakistanbest
8th October 2008, 02:59
i am trying to do the homework but when i use the keyboard on that google arabit link, the letters are displayed in english, is this how they are supposed to be displayed?

Mohsin
8th October 2008, 03:09
i am trying to do the homework but when i use the keyboard on that google arabit link, the letters are displayed in english, is this how they are supposed to be displayed?

Have to clicked in the ' letter Transliteration Example: 3lm => علم box in the top right hand corner?

pakistanbest
8th October 2008, 03:18
Have to clicked in the ' letter Transliteration Example: 3lm => ??? box in the top right hand corner?
clicked but still it appears in english

Oxy
8th October 2008, 03:54
AceB

Is it possible to use a larger font when you are typing out the text in Arabic - I'm struggling to make out what you aretyping - although the larger font is easier to work out.

Thanks.

Also, it seems to me so many 'learners' already are well-versed in Arabic...where does that leave ABSOLUTE NOVICEs like myself?

Is it worth us doing this - I dont want to get left behind if this isnt really a 'beginners' class

Ace Base
8th October 2008, 04:19
AceB

Is it possible to use a larger font when you are typing out the text in Arabic - I'm struggling to make out what you aretyping - although the larger font is easier to work out.

Thanks.

Also, it seems to me so many 'learners' already are well-versed in Arabic...where does that leave ABSOLUTE NOVICEs like myself?

Is it worth us doing this - I dont want to get left behind if this isnt really a 'beginners' class

Akhi, you can use as large a font as you like. You can increase the font size both in the virtual Arabic keyboard and when typing up your homework.

As long as you can read the Araic alphabet and write out words that you see, you'll be fine. Just focus on the grammer rules more than the vocabulary. The secret lies in the grammer not the words.

Genghis
8th October 2008, 05:37
Akhi, you can use as large a font as you like. You can increase the font size both in the virtual Arabic keyboard and when typing up your homework.

As long as you can read the Araic alphabet and write out words that you see, you'll be fine. Just focus on the grammer rules more than the vocabulary. The secret lies in the grammer not the words.
I think what Oxy is talking about is if you can increase your font size in your lesson. I would also like this, it just makes it easier to read.

Size 7 for all arabic looks good.

eg.
فى

If its not too much to ask for. Jazakallah.

Oxy
8th October 2008, 05:46
I think what Oxy is talking about is if you can increase your font size in your lesson. I would also like this, it just makes it easier to read.

Size 7 for all arabic looks good.

eg.
فى

If its not too much to ask for. Jazakallah.

Thats excatly what I meant AceB / genghis. The font size in the lessons is too small - and as its a foreign language, makes it even moe tougher than it is!

Momo
8th October 2008, 11:13
Very few are attempting the 8th bonus question. So far only Genghis has attempted it with a very interesting answer.

Come on lads, Wazeeri, Momo, Merc, MIG; I know you can give it a good go. No cheating from the Hadith books though!!! Allah is watching you!
Sorry brother Ace Base; was mostly away from my PC for a couple of days. Have sent my answers to MIG, Wazeeri, and Oxy (of course no help taken from any Hadith book :) ).

One question to our teacher Ace Base though:

What is the best policy regarding a'raab (vowels) for a learner? We don't normally use them while writing urdu (except in maybe primary school), and I believe Arabs don't use them either.

But aren't they very important when they come at the end (nunation: an, un, in) because they help in distinguishing between case (nominative, accusative, and genitive)?

Will it be advisable to only specify things like nunantion sounds and shadda, and abbreviating the rest (because we know urdu and pretty much know how to pronounce most words (except the nunation bit above).

It's one of the countless blessings of Allah that as opposed to other Arabic literature, Al-Qur'an comes with all vowels. So most of us Alhamdulillah have no difficulty in reading it per se. Understanding is another matter though, and I hope this course (followed by individual efforts on the part of all pupils) goes some way in addressing that issue.

May Allah reward you for your efforts.

Ace Base
8th October 2008, 18:29
Sorry brother Ace Base; was mostly away from my PC for a couple of days. Have sent my answers to MIG, Wazeeri, and Oxy (of course no help taken from any Hadith book :) ).

One question to our teacher Ace Base though:

What is the best policy regarding a'raab (vowels) for a learner? We don't normally use them while writing urdu (except in maybe primary school), and I believe Arabs don't use them either.

But aren't they very important when they come at the end (nunation: an, un, in) because they help in distinguishing between case (nominative, accusative, and genitive)?

Will it be advisable to only specify things like nunantion sounds and shadda, and abbreviating the rest (because we know urdu and pretty much know how to pronounce most words (except the nunation bit above).

It's one of the countless blessings of Allah that as opposed to other Arabic literature, Al-Qur'an comes with all vowels. So most of us Alhamdulillah have no difficulty in reading it per se. Understanding is another matter though, and I hope this course (followed by individual efforts on the part of all pupils) goes some way in addressing that issue.

May Allah reward you for your efforts.

I've checked all homework submitted so far and without revealing too much at this stage I'll say this; Akh Momo, if you choose to immerse yourself in the language you'll be speaking, writing and reading Arabic to a very, very high level in two years time, InshaAllah.

The case is dependant on certain grammer rules which shall be taught over time. It is what determines the nunation.

Once you understand these rules you'll not need the vowels.

Actually, you can always tell an Arab from a nonArab from whether or not he is able to apply the right nunation in the sentence.

Once a brother from Hizb At Tahreer came to me and started discussing politics and eventually khilafah.

Whilst he was extremely well-versed with western politics it was obvious that he was ignorant of Islamic history and lacked intimacy with the meaning of the Quran and Hadith.

He proceeded to tell me how Wahhabis are the source of all evil, how Afghanistan was the only Islamic country in the world, how King Fahd (he was alive at the time) was a kaafir, how the Muslims had become kaafir for working for as policeman or teachers as they were receiving a salary from the government, how Ahadith should not be relied on, on how it didn't matter whether you ate with your left hand or your right hand, how most of the Sunnah's were just cultural prefrences of the Prophet with no religious significance, how the Azaab of the Qabr was just a myth, et cetera.

After he had his rant I asked him how he was so confident in all the claims he was making. He replied it was due to all the ''research'' and reading he had done for years and years.

''But, akhí'', said I, ''you don't speak any Arabic, so how did you manage to reach all the conclusions you have researching a deen that is in a language you don't understand?''

''What you really mean to say, akhi, is that you have read books upon books written by people who have an agenda and you are merely parroting their opinion. You have read the books of Nabahani and he claims what you are claiming. If you had read the books of Ibn Taymiyyah, you'd be claiming what he claims. Either way, you are incapable of forming a truly independant opinion on any matter because you are unable to approach the Deen. And you can only approach it if you have the tools. And you don't even have the basic tool''.

To which he replied angrily, ''you people want to make Islam a monopoly for Arabs and scholars. I don't need a scholar (irony, eh?), Allah has given me an intellect. Plus I know all the basics of Islam so I'm qualified to research and form my own opinion''.

''In that case, akhi'', I responded, ''you'll be able to tell us why Surah Al Fatiha starts with 'Alhumdulillahi....and not Humdulillahi'? What is the need for adding the Al?''

Needless to say, the self-proclaimed scholar changed the subject (he started to speak about Chelsea having a good chance of lifting the Premiership title that year).

MIG
8th October 2008, 19:19

Needless to say, the self-proclaimed scholar changed the subject (he started to speak about Chelsea having a good chance of lifting the Premiership title that year).

Heretic.

tahaqureshi
9th October 2008, 05:33
Ace Base akhi, when will the homework results be up?

Momo
9th October 2008, 13:49
I've checked all homework submitted so far and without revealing too much at this stage I'll say this; Akh Momo, if you choose to immerse yourself in the language you'll be speaking, writing and reading Arabic to a very, very high level in two years time, InshaAllah.

The case is dependant on certain grammer rules which shall be taught over time. It is what determines the nunation.

Once you understand these rules you'll not need the vowels.

Thank you Akh Ace Base. We shall all try to do our best, Inshaallah.

Actually, you can always tell an Arab from a nonArab from whether or not he is able to apply the right nunation in the sentence.

Once a brother from Hizb At Tahreer came to me and started discussing politics and eventually khilafah.

Whilst he was extremely well-versed with western politics it was obvious that he was ignorant of Islamic history and lacked intimacy with the meaning of the Quran and Hadith.

He proceeded to tell me how Wahhabis are the source of all evil, how Afghanistan was the only Islamic country in the world, how King Fahd (he was alive at the time) was a kaafir, how the Muslims had become kaafir for working for as policeman or teachers as they were receiving a salary from the government, how Ahadith should not be relied on, on how it didn't matter whether you ate with your left hand or your right hand, how most of the Sunnah's were just cultural prefrences of the Prophet with no religious significance, how the Azaab of the Qabr was just a myth, et cetera.

After he had his rant I asked him how he was so confident in all the claims he was making. He replied it was due to all the ''research'' and reading he had done for years and years.

''But, akhí'', said I, ''you don't speak any Arabic, so how did you manage to reach all the conclusions you have researching a deen that is in a language you don't understand?''

''What you really mean to say, akhi, is that you have read books upon books written by people who have an agenda and you are merely parroting their opinion. You have read the books of Nabahani and he claims what you are claiming. If you had read the books of Ibn Taymiyyah, you'd be claiming what he claims. Either way, you are incapable of forming a truly independant opinion on any matter because you are unable to approach the Deen. And you can only approach it if you have the tools. And you don't even have the basic tool''.

To which he replied angrily, ''you people want to make Islam a monopoly for Arabs and scholars. I don't need a scholar (irony, eh?), Allah has given me an intellect. Plus I know all the basics of Islam so I'm qualified to research and form my own opinion''.

''In that case, akhi'', I responded, ''you'll be able to tell us why Surah Al Fatiha starts with 'Alhumdulillahi....and not Humdulillahi'? What is the need for adding the Al?''

What is worrying is that we have far too many self-proclaimed 'mavericks' having these kinds of thoughts (and their number seems to be growing at an alarming rate).

It's funny (actually tragic) that whereas most people (rightly) feel that they are not qualified to comment or improve upon the theory of relativity unless they ground themselves in the fundamentals of physics; the same people have absolutely no qualms in commenting freely upon subjects such as tafseer of Qur'an and islamic jurisprudence, without any training of any sort. What audacity!

So the science of islam is nauzubillah lower than a lowly bachelors course in commerce (because even business schools don't let you enter if you don't have the required prerequisites)? May Allah guide us all. Ameen.

Momo
9th October 2008, 13:51
A very important point. May Allah guide us all.

MIG
10th October 2008, 01:24
Apologies for deletions but lets stick to the lessons and related discussion pls.

pakistanbest
11th October 2008, 04:48
sadly cause i dont have proper Internet connection, i tend to to use my ps3 for surfing the net thats why i tend to post less on pp. ps3 internet is very limited so sadly cant start the classess yet but Insh'Allah when i get internet on my desktop computer then i will try my level best to learn the worlds greatest language.

really sadened that i cant take part in the classes at this current time due to Internet problems but Inshl'Allah soon i will be able to

mamoo gogo
12th October 2008, 10:11
Akh Ace Base,
Should I give the homework to Akht Wazeeri, or should I just send it directly to you?

MIG
12th October 2008, 10:38
Akh Ace Base,
Should I give the homework to Akht Wazeeri, or should I just send it directly to you?

Careful pls -

Akh = short form of Brother
Akht = sounds like short form of My Sister ( Ukhti...)

Wazeeri will not take lightly to such gender change.

mamoo gogo
12th October 2008, 10:46
Careful pls -

Akh = short form of Brother
Akht = sounds like short form of My Sister ( Ukhti...)

Wazeeri will not take lightly to such gender change.
Thanks for clarifying......

.....Wazeeri's gender :))

shabs100
14th October 2008, 21:01
any word on the next assignment and also the results of the previous one?

Ace Base
15th October 2008, 02:23
Homework has been checked. Not one person got all answers right, although a few came very close.

Answers shall be up tomorrow, InshaAllah together with lesson 2.

shabs100
16th October 2008, 18:18
Ace bro, any updates on when lesson 2 will be posted?