PDA

View Full Version : Filmmaking for Social Change in Pakistan

moiz
30th January 2009, 21:31
The British High Commission Pakistan in association with London International Documentary Festival (LIDF) has ventured on a unique project called “Filmmaking for Social Change”. The project aims to provide potential avenues to young Pakistani Filmmakers to develop and screen documentaries on issues that concern them as a Pakistani.

Check the following two links...

http://ukinpakistan.fco.gov.uk/en/working-with-pakistan/projectsnew/channels-of-change/

http://ukinpakistan.fco.gov.uk/en/working-with-pakistan/projectsnew/channels-of-change/trainingproj

:)

moiz
30th January 2009, 21:52
The British High Commission has selected 12 Pakistani students and trained them in a 5 day workshop at the Sheraton Hotel Karachi. I'm one of those 12.

The 12 students are now divided in 4 groups of 3-each. Every group will be making a documentary on the hardcore issues of Pakistani society. The films will inshallah be screened at the London International Documentary Festival 2009.

The subject of my social documentary is the life and experience of a kid in juvenile jail. My aim is to know the horrors those children go through at the jail. I'll be trying my level best to make this 'non-issue' an 'issue', inshallah! Please pray for me and my film. And if you are in London, you should watch it in the festival.

Thank you!

12thMan
30th January 2009, 21:52
something Pakistani Arts or culture minister should be promoting, but instead it is the British.

good luck moiz

DHONI183
30th January 2009, 22:04
Great project mate:)!

Good luck brother:19:!

Islamabadi
30th January 2009, 22:05
The British High Commission has selected 12 Pakistani students and trained them in a 5 day workshop at the Sheraton Hotel Karachi. I'm one of those 12.

The 12 students are now divided in 4 groups of 3-each. Every group will be making a documentary on the hardcore issues of Pakistani society. The films will inshallah be screened at the London International Documentary Festival 2009.

The subject of my social documentary is the life and experience of a kid in juvenile jail. My aim is to know the horrors those children go through at the jail. I'll be trying my level best to make this 'non-issue' an 'issue', inshallah! Please pray for me and my film. And if you are in London, you should watch it in the festival.

Thank you!

i think this is a non issue...considering all other problems pakistan have

moiz
30th January 2009, 22:31
Definitely it's a non-issue! But, I'm trying to make it 'an issue' !!!

Just because there're so many problems in our Pak Sarzameen, it doesn't mean that we should not talk about those children of poor families who are being kept in the prison cell for stealing Rs. 150 for ages.

You know, there are many cases of poor kids who stole Rs. 150 and are in prison for 20 months when their punishment should've been of 2 months only. And this is not the end, their case has not yet been filed. So, they'll get a 2 months punishment (if some angel will complete their case) from the court after spending 50 months in prison. And can you imagine what these children will do IF released from the prison without any academic career? Children are our future! I can't even imagine the repercussions on our society. Juvenile jails are the institutions of crime. They nurture 'future' criminals.

I can't be silent on this.

I've planned to criticize...

1) those NGOs who take thousands of $$$ from different foreign agencies on the name of kids and keeps it.

2) those lawyers who are shouting for CJ Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudry but not for the poor children in prison cells.

3) those politicians who make promises.

4) those journalists who are talking about almost everything in the media except the children (our future) who are in prison.

5) those Mullahs who are busy in Tableegh for their own agendas but don't care about the poor children.

INSHALLAH!

moiz
30th January 2009, 22:53
Thank you DHONI183 and 12thMan !

If Pakistani Arts and Culture Minister would've been promoting it, we would've been quite PTV like.

At the workshop I learned to make 'critical' socio-political documentaries. Thanks to Patrick Hazard and Peter Fraser who came all the way from London only for us!

Vegitto1
30th January 2009, 23:28

Are you being serious or was that brain-****?

12thMan
30th January 2009, 23:36
I didn't even know there was a separate (meaning not part of regular jail) juvenile detention center. It will be interesting, but some of the things will be common for someone who was sent to jail 18+. Also try to find out if there are any well off kids/people in the prison, or do they have a special one for them and how differently they are treated

30th January 2009, 23:44
nice try .. but social change or change of any sort isn't gonna come to pakistan until we get a real secular education system in place ... obama are you listening ?

ali110
31st January 2009, 00:15
Good work Moiz and a very interesting choice of topic and ppl who are just criticizing for the sake of it, please consider that he is at least trying to bring an attention to a very important subject which is all neglected among CJ and other non-issues.

moiz
31st January 2009, 21:11
I didn't even know there was a separate (meaning not part of regular jail) juvenile detention center. It will be interesting, but some of the things will be common for someone who was sent to jail 18+. Also try to find out if there are any well off kids/people in the prison, or do they have a special one for them and how differently they are treated
The title at the main gate of juvenile jail says, "Institution for Youthful Offenders."

Well, I don't think that the children from the well-off families would be in jail. Because they don't have to steal and their parents can bribe the police etc.

But, I'll try to find it...

Your suggestions and views would be helpful to me.

moiz
31st January 2009, 21:37
nice try .. but social change or change of any sort isn't gonna come to pakistan until we get a real secular education system in place ... obama are you listening ?
"'It'll never happen' is the phrase invernted by those who don't want change."

“We are not what we know but what we are willing to learn.” – Mary Catherine Bateson

“Learning isn’t about being smart enough; it is about being motivated enough.” – Marilyn Ferguson

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it is possible.” - Richard M. DeVos

“Change your thoughts and you change your world.” – Norman Vincent Peale

“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

"Impossible is nothing."

DHONI183
31st January 2009, 22:20
"'It'll never happen' is the phrase invernted by those who don't want change."

“We are not what we know but what we are willing to learn.” – Mary Catherine Bateson

“Learning isn’t about being smart enough; it is about being motivated enough.” – Marilyn Ferguson

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“The only thing that stands between a man and what he wants from life is often merely the will to try it and the faith to believe that it is possible.” - Richard M. DeVos

“Change your thoughts and you change your world.” – Norman Vincent Peale

“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase. Just take the first step.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

"Impossible is nothing."

Fantastic post mate:19:!!!