PDA

View Full Version : Pakistani is Britains Brightest Student (24 A-level Passes)[Merged]

dblock
31st January 2009, 00:25
Britain's brightest student really is in a class of his own after passing a record 23 A-Levels in a single year - 22 at A grade.

Ali Moeen Nawazish sat 22 A-Levels and two AS-Levels - the equivalent of another A-Level - in just 12 months in a bid to gain a place at Cambridge University.

The 18-year-old, who says he has a 'thirst for knowledge', netted 22 As, one B and a C after studying for up to 10 hours-a-day.
Moeen Nawazish,

Cambridge University student Ali Moeen Nawazish took a record breaking 23 'A' Levels

Subjects included traditional qualifications like physics, chemistry and maths, and more modern additions such as Thinking Skills and Critical Thinking.

But rather than struggle under his massive workload, Ali claims he enjoyed the experience.

He even found time to play guitar, hold the role of president of his music club, edit his school newspaper and attend a leadership conference at Harvard University, America.

His incredible achievements won him a place on a computer science degree at Trinity College Cambridge - where he is currently coasting through his first year.
Ali Moeen Nawazish

The 18 year-old boy genius took the long list of exams within 12-months netting himself 22 A grades, one B and one C

Ali, whose family live in Pakistan, said: 'I didn't find it particularly stressful. I enjoyed it. I've a thirst for knowledge.

'Some of subjects were tricker than others - such as psychology.

'I only began studying for the subject three days before the exam so there was a lot to get in. I was pleased to get an A.

'Physics, math and computing are my real strong point.'

Ali sat all the exams with accredited boards Ed-Excel and CIE (Cambridge International Examinations) at the Roots High School in Rawalpindi, Pakistan.

He sat the first seven in June 2007, a further three in November 2007 and the remainder in June 2008.

His school scholarship paid the £2,500 registration fees.

Incredibly Ali, who is single and speaks three languages - Urdu, English and Punjabi - only started studying for some of the exams three days beforehand.

But the remarkable results won him offers from five leading UK universities including Cambridge, Imperial College London and Bristol University.

He chose to study computer science to 'indulge a passion' and hopes to go on to study medicine at Cambridge when he completes his first degree.

Ali said: 'I'm doing my current degree because I love it. But want to do for the rest of my life is be a doctor so I hope to go on to study medicine.'

The high achiever's sister Hina Mehwish, 23, is a doctor in Pakistan where his mother Nisar Malik, 48, and father Zaka Ullah, 51, are medical doctors.

Ali is the first member of his family to study in the UK.

He is coping well at Cambridge but has not felt the need to supplement his course with additional learning

He said: 'It's all under control but at Cambridge you simply can't run out of work to do, they always find you so much more.'

Dr Nick Bampos, senior tutor at Trinity Hall, responsible for admissions, said the first time he and his colleagues saw Ali Moeen's application they found it hard to believe.

Dr Bampos said: 'When we first interviewed him we thought "this can't be right".

'But not only is he really bright, he is really charming. He might be a computer scientist but he shatters all the stereotypes.

'He does so much at Cambridge and is fitting in well. He clearly loves being here. We're delighted to have him here.

'We've never heard of any applicant with anywhere near as many A-Levels. It's enormously impressive.

'However, it isn't necessary to get that many A-Levels to get into Cambridge.'

A spokeswoman for Ed-Excel, with which he took six subjects, said: 'We would like to congratulate Ali Moeen on this incredible achievement. He has done incredibly well.'

1. Physics - A
2. Chemistry - B
3. Biology - A
4. Mathematics - A
5. Computing - A
6. Marine Sciences - A
7. Applied ICT - A
8. Thinking Skills - A
9. Urdu Literature - A
10. GP (International) - A
11. Geography - A
12. Applied Geography - A
13. General Further Mathematics - C
14. Human Biology - A
15. Pure Mathematics - A
16. Further Mathematics - A
17. Sociology - A
18. Psychology - A
19. General Studies (UK AS level) - A
20. English Language (UK AS level) - A
21. Thinking Skills - A
22. Urdu Language - A
23. Business Studies - A
24. Critical Thinking - A

24 A-level Passes, genius.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...evels-year.html

:14:

Atif
31st January 2009, 00:27
mashallah

Geordie Ahmed
31st January 2009, 00:29
Congrats to the lad - thats some achievement

Also nice of the Daily Mail to show a brown skinned fella in a positive light

Vegitto1
31st January 2009, 00:29
Good on him!

Wazeeri
31st January 2009, 00:30
Good going

31st January 2009, 00:31
very nice .. btw .. what the heck is an "A Level"

Shadow
31st January 2009, 00:35
omdzz dass crazy, i was gettin happy wen i got 5 a-levels, but 24 ! wow. dass amazing. not only that, there A's and B's.

12thMan
31st January 2009, 00:36
great achievement.

very nice .. btw .. what the heck is an "A Level"O Level will be highschool in USA. A Level will be the 2 year college. I wouldn't say community college as they are mostly that but first 2 years of college because after you transfer from community college you get credits. But difference will be that one exam for 1-2 years of studies but college in USA is semester/quarter

Gujar
31st January 2009, 01:08
I'm better than him at Chemistry.

Mercenary
31st January 2009, 01:17
That's totally nuts. Most colleges only do A levels as 2 year courses and it's advised you only do a maximum of 4 over 2 years.

23 in 1 year is just crazy but I'm disappointed.

One B and One C? Disgraceful.

Pak_NM
31st January 2009, 01:29
mashallah.

To think that I was happy with 4 A levels in two years...

lahori
31st January 2009, 01:41
I took 4 A level subjects and here were my grades:

Mathematics - B
Urdu - B
Physics - C
Economics - E

BBCE ! woohoo!

Incredibly Ali, who is single and speaks three languages - Urdu, English and Punjabi - only started studying for some of the exams three days beforehand.

failed in what mattered :)

Vegitto1
31st January 2009, 01:50
I took 4 A level subjects and here were my grades:

Mathematics - B
Urdu - B
Physics - C
Economics - E

BBCE ! woohoo!

failed in what mattered :)

He is 18, probably 20 so I doubt he has failed yet. If anything once he gets his degree and nails a top job in his industry of choice he will be so rich that it would be hard for him to stay single.

lahori
31st January 2009, 02:15
He is 18, probably 20 so I doubt he has failed yet. If anything once he gets his degree and nails a top job in his industry of choice he will be so rich that it would be hard for him to stay single.

Depends on whether he can continue the same work ethic in college (which is what really matters).

I have known people who got straight A's in their A levels and totally flunked college because they strayed from their objectives.

Vegitto1
31st January 2009, 02:23
Depends on whether he can continue the same work ethic in college (which is what really matters).

I have known people who got straight A's in their A levels and totally flunked college because they strayed from their objectives.

He is in Cambrige, and apparently breezing through his course!

dblock
31st January 2009, 02:29

I think with the scrutiny of having done so well, with the press attention and no doubt of many others - it will be hard to stray.

It's easier if you have 4/5 A's - because essentially a lot is expected of you if you get those results but it doesn't make you overly distinguishable because a few people get that every year.

12thMan
31st January 2009, 02:49
He is in Cambrige, and apparently breezing through his course!I feel bad for the young people whose parents know him. Look at him he is getting A's and you only got B's

hussein
31st January 2009, 03:04
I feel bad for the young people whose parents know him. Look at him he is getting A's and you only got B's

told my parents about this , and they have been already saying ur only doing 3 this year and getting b's and c's

McBoom
31st January 2009, 03:49
told my parents about this , and they have been already saying ur only doing 3 this year and getting b's and c'sNot a bright idea.

kingusama92
31st January 2009, 03:57
Not a bright idea.

lol I was going to tell my parents but then I held off thinking of the consequences...

Hussain
31st January 2009, 04:12
mashallah , may that kid have a bright future

McBoom
31st January 2009, 04:14
lol I was going to tell my parents but then I held off thinking of the consequences...A good decision indeed.

The Blazer
31st January 2009, 04:27
That's totally nuts. Most colleges only do A levels as 2 year courses and it's advised you only do a maximum of 4 over 2 years.

No. A lot of people do 5 or 6.

Poison
31st January 2009, 08:08
Hey thanks people, I worked really hard for the 24, wasn't very hard though, I just bribed the markers. :asif

AZ
31st January 2009, 16:08
that is just simply stunning....24 A Levels! WOW@!

Savak
31st January 2009, 16:39
I have never ever gotten a single A in my entire life in anything and here is a kid who has gotten 24 A's in a single year. Amazing stuff.

Boi
31st January 2009, 16:58
Mashallah!!

What a guy!!
Absolutely amazing!

Well Done!

MIG
31st January 2009, 17:09
Fantastic but I fear an early burn out for this guy.

Also good to see Pakistan being mentioned in a good light in press !

Pak_Pace
31st January 2009, 20:39
hmm...hes done "Thinking Skills" twice, guess this 24 A-Level thing is a load of ** then....:) (the smiley face is to tell ppl that I was being sarcastic)

mmkextreme_1
31st January 2009, 20:40
Mashallah!

DM
31st January 2009, 20:43
24 A levels??? Someone please empty his room from any lengths of rope or razor blades NOW.

No sour grapes or anything..

Mohsin
31st January 2009, 22:53
Wow! Mash'Allah amzaing stuff

Amir
1st February 2009, 00:23
C in Maths??? He is hopeless!

Karchie19
1st February 2009, 01:47
hold on he did these in pindi right ..... i wonder how much he paid ?

the true passionist
1st February 2009, 11:06
very nice .. btw .. what the heck is an "A Level"

It is the British equivalent of grades 11 and 12 of high school in the US, only with a better standard of education, i believe.

O' Level precedes it which would probably be grades 9 and 10.

Lightning
1st February 2009, 21:11
A level? Fricking British. I got 5 A's in my senior year of high school. Is that 5 A levels?

I must collect more A levels!

kingusama92
1st February 2009, 21:11
C in Maths??? He is hopeless!

now don't go around picking on the kid :)))

Kean0
1st February 2009, 22:59
What a let down, got a C. I hope his parents slapped him for that C.

Mohsin
2nd February 2009, 00:57
What a let down, got a C. I hope his parents slapped him for that C.

vFL0w1ruiCM

dblock
2nd February 2009, 01:02
This article has a bit more detail in how he achieved them, still mightily impressive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/it-was-all-easy-ndash-teenage-genius-takes-23-alevels-in-a-single-year-1521680.html

Plenty of uppity Oxbridge undergraduates like to boast about their academic records but none can match that of one particular new student.

Ali Moeen Nawazish, a charming 18-year-old from Pakistan with delicately accented English, is in the first year of his degree in computer science at the University of Cambridge.

To get there he undertook 23 A-levels in a single year, shattering the previous world record of a mere 13.

And his massive workload did not mean Mr Nawazish could barely scrape through his 24 chosen subjects. He received A grades in physics, biology, human biology, mathematics, pure mathematics, further mathematics, computing, marine sciences, applied information and communication technology, thinking skills, Urdu language, Urdu literature, general paper (international), geography, applied geography, sociology, psychology, business studies, travel and tourism, and critical thinking. He also secured A grades in two AS-levels, general studies and English language, which equal one A-level.

He did however suffer the indignity of obtaining only a B in chemistry and a C in general further mathematics.

"I feel bad about those two," he said. "Then again, I was feeling a bit tired when I took them. I'd been up since 8am and I think I finished that maths exam at 1am the next morning."

Mr Nawazish, who attended Roots High School in Rawalpindi, sat his first exams in June 2007, took three more in November 2007, and completed the rest in June last year. He would regularly work 10 hours a day, and only started revising for some of the exams three days in advance. "Most kids at my school did five or six, but I started off with seven," said Mr Nawazish, whose teachers advised against doing too many. "But I just wanted to see how far I could take it. So I moved on to 10, then 14, knowing that broke the record, then 16. Then I just thought 'Why don't I do a few more?' and I ended on 23. It was all easy, except for chemistry – that wasn't so fun."

Just two years ago, he was still considered an average student. "But then my computing O-level came back and it was a world record mark. Suddenly I thought should aim higher." Mr Nawazish, who speaks English, Urdu and Punjabi, describes himself as "a balanced rather than devout Muslim". His sister, Hisha Mehwish, 23; mother Nisar Malik, 48, and father Zaka Ullah, 51, are all doctors in Rawalpindi.

He says he has settled well into undergraduate life at Trinity Hall College, Cambridge. "I don't drink but that doesn't stop me going to cocktail parties," he said. "I'm also quite fond of going to the college bop or house parties or Cindy's [a local club]."

Academics were dumbfounded by his application. "When we first interviewed him we thought 'This can't be right'," said Dr Nick Bampos, senior tutor at Trinity Hall. "But not only is he really bright, he is really charming. He might be a computer scientist but he shatters all the stereotypes."

The demands of computer science require him to be in the laboratory by 9am every day, and he rarely leaves before 5pm. "That still feels pretty light compared to what I was doing before," he said. "I'm planning to do CompSci for three years and then train in medicine for four."

In what remains of his spare time, Mr Nawazish is setting up a website – itorch.com – through which he hopes to provide learning aids for children struggling with schoolwork. "People have been very supportive of me, and I wanted to give something back," he said. "It's not like I go around talking about my record, or sticking it in people's faces. It just got out somehow. The last thing I'd want is for people to be intimidated. I mean, look at me."

dblock
2nd February 2009, 01:05
^^

He plans to study medicine after his Computer Science degree from Cambridge.

JammydodgA
2nd February 2009, 02:02
Wow I used to think people that did 5 A Levels were really clever but this guy is something else!

It's also great to see a Pakistani portrayed in a positive light :)

the true passionist
2nd February 2009, 03:35
A level? Fricking British. I got 5 A's in my senior year of high school. Is that 5 A levels?

I must collect more A levels!

i am afraid that wont be the same.

12thMan
2nd February 2009, 03:40

I must collect more A levels!No that will be 'O' Levels, I think. With A Levels you can get credit for some college classes (you may have to argue with school???). But remember it is not semester/quarter system but an exam on whatever you studied for a subject in last one or two years (I guess 2-4 semesters for USA)

dblock
2nd February 2009, 04:53
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7863473.stm

Guy was interviewed on BBC, he's got a very posh American accent for a Pakistani.

mmkextreme_1
10th February 2009, 11:35
18-Year-Old Pakistan Boy Bags 22 A’s In A-Level
Posted on 02/02/2009, 08:29, by admin, under Uncategorized.

Oh my God, he is 18 years old only? Doesn’t look like……

One ambition was fixed in Ali Moeen Nawazish’s mind as he made his way through school in Pakistan. He wanted to win a place at Cambridge.

Sitting seven A-levels might easily have done the trick, even though he had started to study some of the subjects only three days before the exam.

But he was determined to get some good grades. So he sat another three, and three more. Then another nine. Just in case, he took a couple of AS levels along the way.

The result? The remarkable young student, who modestly explains he has ‘quite a thirst for knowledge’, secured 22 A grades, one B and a C.

When he filled out his university application forms at home in Rawalpindi there was barely enough space to list his qualifications.

His Cambridge dream came true four months ago when he embarked on a computer science degree course at Trinity Hall. Now he is due to win another place - in the Guinness Book of Records.

http://www.jialat.com/2009/02/02/18-year-old-pakistan-boy-bags-22-as-in-a-level/

That is some achievement, Mashallah! Heard about this on the news as well! May he excel further in his quest Inshallah!

mmkextreme_1
10th February 2009, 11:38
Ali Moeen Nawazish - An 18-year old wiz-kid from Rawalpindi wanted to get into Cambridge, so he sat in seven A-Levels exams in just one year - and secured 22 A-grades, one B grade and a C!

The Urdu, English and Punjabi speaking wiz-kid is due to win another place - in the Guinness Book of Records. His Cambridge dream came true four months ago when he embarked on a computer science degree course at Trinity Hall. Ali also achieved a top score in the U.S. admissions test and was accepted by most Ivy League institutions, including Harvard and Yale.

When he filled out his university application forms at home in Rawalpindi there was barely enough space to list his qualifications. Ali finished all the exams within 12 months at Rawalpindi’s Roots College International. His entry was organized through accredited boards Ed-Excel and Cambridge International Examinations.

Apart from core science subjects he is almost entirely self taught. He studied for up to 12 hours a day, using energy drinks to help concentrate. He said: ‘Then one day it all clicked. I needed to prove to myself, and to others, that I could do it.’

http://www.propakistani.com/2009/02/03/ali-moeen-nawazish-sets-a-levels-world-record/

Guys this might be a stupid question, I don't know much about Pakistan's education system, what is A levels? Reading this it is some great achievement! Still kudos to the guy Mashallah!

Riff
10th February 2009, 17:47
this brother looks 30 odd to be honest, but any who well done :19:

Hash
11th February 2009, 03:13
An Indian called Umesh Pandeh is brighter.