26th July 2005, 22:54
how do you guys rate either and vs each other

Schiller
26th July 2005, 23:47
:37: to this thread :D

Gasherbrum
26th July 2005, 23:47
both a couple of italian pretty boys.
vieiri was an out and out striker though, different type of player than del piero. i'd take zola over both of them.

Schiller
26th July 2005, 23:48
i followed vieir more so than piero, sometimes vieri would miss the esiest of chancs waisay
how was piero's game?
zola? dont recall him

Gasherbrum
26th July 2005, 23:53
zola was more creative than the other two, played just behind the strikers i believe, somewhat like del pieiro. ask some chelsea fans. yeah, vieiri was one of those flash in the pan italian strikers along the lines of schillachi etc. del piero also more of a playmaker than the big tall aussie import vieiri. i believe he played a bit of cricket too.

Oxy
27th July 2005, 00:33
Zola was one of the greatest players to come out of Italy.

Del Piero was good for about 2 years but never seemed to do it when it mattered. Vierri - an OK striker who had one truly dominant season in Serie A and then was transfred a couple of times for massive transfer fees.

I can see Vierri ending up at a club like Bolton or Middlesbvorough when he is 38 years old.

I didnt rate either of them to tell you the truth ,

Schiller
27th July 2005, 00:41
so you wouldnt rate either oxy?
i cant seem to recall zola at all

Geordie Ahmed
27th July 2005, 00:42
Vieri = not your typical Italian striker - he is strong and was quite quick aswell! really lost it of late BUT a move to AC Milan may well sort him out!
He has played for a few clubs and he has scored goals - a few years ago he was one of the best strikers in the world BUT now he is just average!

Del Piero = a typical Italian player! loved his hair and whatnot - probably the guy that inroduced Pointy sideburns to the world!
A soft player who would fall ove if ppl spoke to him (which Italian doesnt?)
He was a really skilfull player BUT after his injury i dont think he was the same player - at the moment i think he is decent BUT not a world beater
He isnt a out and out striker so a omparison with Vieri isnt suitable! he is more of a withdrawn striker - plays on the left!

Gianfranco Zola = a genius and a true professional! imo the best foreign player to have played in the Premiership (for both on and off the fiedl reasons) He was at chelsea for 7 years and he didnt have the slightest of trouble!
He was a superb player who played in the playmaker role - just retired recently at the age of 38!
Comma if you can try to watch Zola videos - i think you will like him as a player cos he has that characteristic you love - INSTINCT

Oxy
27th July 2005, 00:44
Gian Franco Zola...one of the best! A true gentleman, unlike the EGOs around at the momemt.

I think he is still playing for his home club in Cagliari...about 37-38 years old.

Oxy
27th July 2005, 00:50
Good comparisons Geordie!

If Zola had been 6 years younger, he would be lifting the Premiership AND Champions Lg with Chelsea.

One of my all time players esp off the pitch.

Geordie Ahmed
27th July 2005, 00:53
Good comparisons Geordie!

If Zola had been 6 years younger, he would be lifting the Premiership AND Champions Lg with Chelsea.

One of my all time players esp off the pitch.

Mine too! the guy had the money and all BUT he never was in trouble - even on the pitch he was a true gentleman! footballers could learn a thing or two from him!

Oxy he retired a few weeks back (just before his 39th birthday :O:O ) - he was playing for Cagliari BUT he has called time even tho he played well

flipper
27th July 2005, 02:16
Overall, Zola was probably better than del piero, but I would put him behind Baggio when it comes to recent great Italian forwards.

Geordie Ahmed
27th July 2005, 02:32
I disagree Flipper - i think Zola had more tools than Baggio! the guy was special and imo does not get the recognition he deserves! Maybe he shud have kept a ponytail or had pointy sideburns :13:

z10
27th July 2005, 05:39
IMO del piero was the best player in europe in 1996-1999 but has faded away since....now hes not even first choice at juventus.....

is second in the champion league goals tally behind raul....tho ruud will probz overtake him

Toony™®
28th July 2005, 21:46
i disagree GA..i saw Roberto baggio in his prime and Zola too...Zola at the highest level ie.for Italy never was at his best..whereas Roberto Baggio was especially in 1990 and 1994 world cup.

Baggio was a genius.

Toony™®
28th July 2005, 21:47
to add..he was more prolific...

Stefano
28th July 2005, 23:24
I am Italian. So, I would like to discuss with you..

1) Vieri. Some years ago he was a tremendous player. Although he was powerful, he was also fast. Sadly, he was never healthy for a whole season. He missed at least 33% of the matches every year. Now, he is not in his prime anymore.

2) Del Piero (please not PIERO). Some years ago (1996-1998), he was really great. Sadly after that injury in 1998, he never reached his full potential again. He can still amaze you with his class, but very often he is useless. In Italy he is still blamed for those two errors against France in Euro 2000.

3) Roberto Baggio. I think he was the greatest italian player in the last 25 years. Actually, his career was rather troubled. He often complained with his coaches. But, when he was healthy, he was truly a beauty.

4) Gianfranco Zola. Great player. No doubt about it. But not in the same class of Baggio.

zushy_786
29th July 2005, 00:04
I am Italian. So, I would like to discuss with you..

1) Vieri. Some years ago he was a tremendous player. Although he was powerful, he was also fast. Sadly, he was never healthy for a whole season. He missed at least 33% of the matches every year. Now, he is not in his prime anymore.

2) Del Piero (please not PIERO). Some years ago (1996-1998), he was really great. Sadly after that injury in 1998, he never reached his full potential again. He can still amaze you with his class, but very often he is useless. In Italy he is still blamed for those two errors against France in Euro 2000.

3) Roberto Baggio. I think he was the greatest italian player in the last 25 years. Actually, his career was rather troubled. He often complained with his coaches. But, when he was healthy, he was truly a beauty.

4) Gianfranco Zola. Great player. No doubt about it. But not in the same class of Baggio.

Welcome to PP Stefano ! I hope you enjoy your stay here, and considering your posts regarding football you seem to know a lot about soccer, so your contribution will even be more valuable.....

Geordie Ahmed
29th July 2005, 00:28
i disagree GA..i saw Roberto baggio in his prime and Zola too...Zola at the highest level ie.for Italy never was at his best..whereas Roberto Baggio was especially in 1990 and 1994 world cup.

Baggio was a genius.

To be honest i didnt see lots of Baggio BUT maybe im allowing Zola the person to cloud my judgement - i have the urmost respect for Zola as a person, he was in England for 7/8 years and he didnt have a single negative incident be it on the field or off the field! also he had time for many fans which many of todays over pampered footballers dont

Fessal
8th August 2005, 03:57
what about the cantona? who rated him? i thought he was brilliant. i dont know much about the other chaps in this thread u lot are talking about.

Toony™®
8th August 2005, 04:14
what about the cantona? who rated him? i thought he was brilliant. i dont know much about the other chaps in this thread u lot are talking about.

was cantona italian?...:9:

Cantona was good at premiership level ..albeit it was a easier premiership back then! He didnt perform Champions league level too.

Big Mac
8th August 2005, 06:12
Del Piero was better than Zola back in the day but unfortunately he got utterly smoked by injury problems. Roberto Baggio was comfortably better than both of them though.

Vieri a few years back was one of the best strikers on the planet