PDA

View Full Version : Languages you know [Merged]

haroonrasheed320
23rd November 2009, 13:01
Hi everyone, the title of the thread is self explanatory, so lets see what languages PPers know, here is mine:

English: Read, write & speak.
Urdu: Speak & little read.
Pashto: Only speak.
Arabic: Read and write, & little speak.
Persian: Read & learning to speak.

cricket_fever
23rd November 2009, 17:47
english: read , write, and speak
afrikaans: read write and try to speak
urdu: speak and read a bit
arabis: read and can write and understand a little
french: did it in primary school but forgot now
Sesotho(african language); can understand

DHONI183
23rd November 2009, 17:53
Thread already posted before in "Time Pass" section by myself.......

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=72924

haroonrasheed320
23rd November 2009, 18:07
Sorry Dhoni bhai, I checked it here in the language section & couldn't find a thread like this so I decided to open it, I wasn't expecting it to be time pass section, My Bad

asadee
25th December 2009, 08:13
Urdu, English, French, Arabic, Basic Spanish and spoken Hindi

Sohaib-789
22nd January 2010, 18:56
urdu.english,punjabi,mirpuri,german,french and bit of spanish

azfar wali
24th January 2010, 06:29
Arabic: Read only
Udru: Speak,Read and write a little
English: Read, Write and Speak
Hindi: Speak only

BoomBoomCricket
7th February 2010, 19:36
English, Urdu and German.

BoomBoomCricket
7th February 2010, 19:36
and of course Read Arabic

Looney
8th February 2010, 09:32
English,Urdu: read,write and understand
Arabic,Persian or any language written in nastaliq script: read only

Afridi_Fan
10th February 2010, 03:51
English, Urdu, Pashtoo, Punjabi, Hindko, Potohari.

Rizie
2nd March 2010, 02:36
Dutch, German, French, English, Spanish, Punjabi, Urdu

Pk-zindabaad
10th August 2010, 19:04
English: Read, write & speak.
Urdu: Speak, read and write.
Pashto: speak fluently but little read and write.
Arabic: Read and write, & little speak.
French: Read, Write and Speak
Hindi: Speak

vishy_the king64
23rd August 2010, 02:59
English-read,write,speak
Hindi-read,write,speak
Bengali-read,write,speak
Tamil-speak(btw its my mother tongue,a real shame i dont know to read and write in tamil)

PakiSamia
30th August 2010, 20:07
Dutch-Urdu-Punjabi-English-French-Germanyy

majiz
31st August 2010, 05:23
read write and speak english, urdu, punjabi, hindi and arabic

can understand a few others quite well

6xafridi
1st September 2010, 15:25
english, urdu, and german. a bit of french, spanish, and punjabi.

Desi_Joker
1st September 2010, 15:41
English, French and Urdu :)

NJamal
2nd September 2010, 02:58
Pashto Read Write Speak (My mother tongue)
Urdu Read Write Speak
English Read Write Speak
Arabic Read Write Speak
Persian Read Speak

AZ
2nd September 2010, 03:00
English
Urdu
French (have forgotten a lot, but can still manage)
Arabic (enough to get the job done)
Punjabi (toothi poothi)

Sir john
2nd September 2010, 13:36
50% english
100% hindi
50% punjabi
50%urdu
100%polish
100% lahulhi

:danish:danish:danish

PB
29th September 2010, 23:29
English - Read, Write, Speak
Hindi - Speak
Urdu - Speak, write and read Roman Urdu Only.
French - A little, of speak, and write.
Punjabi - Speak

d0gers
30th September 2010, 01:26
100%polish:13:
ai kithon?

Inswinger
30th September 2010, 02:38
English- Read, write, and speak
Punjabi- Speak
Urdu- Speak
Spanish- Speak a bit, write a bit, and read a bit (4 years of Spanish in High school)

Radiance Of Australis
30th September 2010, 02:49
English (duh)-Read,write and speak/understand
Urdu-Read write and speak/understand
Arabic-Read,write and understand a bit
Punjabi-I cant say I understand entirely but a bit ..Like the entire Bewafa song by Imran Khan :D

I'm tying to learn German. I know very few phrases in German.:(

moiz
7th October 2010, 03:32
I love languages and I tried to learn Farsi (Persian) in 2008 but left after 2 months then I started learning Arabic and once again, left after 2 months.

Dono main nakam raha but aaj kal I'm learning French and loving it! It's been 6 months now and it's going well.

So have you ever tried to learn any foreign language? If yes, were you successful or unsuccessful? What were the reasons? Any tips?

shaykh1985
7th October 2010, 04:06
I spent some time in Colombia and my Spanish was okayish when I left...I can pick up accents and vocabulary well so I understand easily and speak with a good accent...grammar I struggle with...

Plan to do Central America in its entirety in the next few years to perfect it...At the moment I'm learning Bahasa Indonesian...quite easy so far but I'll be tested properly when I'm there next year...for an oriental language though its pretty much the easiest around and its pretty much the same as Malay so gives you scope...

As for tips...nothings better than going to France...my Spanish was awful till I got to Colombia...ideally go to somewhere where there wont be tourists and go alone so you have no choice but to immerse yourself...learn technical sides of the language at home but in terms of understanding and speaking nothing develops it more than going to the actual place...

WhiteDudeFromTrinidad is right about movies...I found them hard but some dialects are better than others...Colombian Spanish for instance is slow and easier to pickup...maybe there is a French equivalent...you know your really at one with the language when you understand football commentary lol...

WhiteDudeFromTrinidad
7th October 2010, 04:13
I had to learn some French for work because I often make trips to France and Belgium

if you live in the UK like I do you can pick up several French radio stations on long wave. I have the frequencies stored on my car radio and I will often tune in to keep my ear in

there's also a French TV station TV5 on SKY channel 799 which I watch from time to time

the news shows are the best because the presenters speak in perfect French so it's easier for novices to understand

conversely French films are the worst because half of the dialogue is quickly spoken and littered with a lot of slang

try to avoid French Canadian shows/films. They have some weird accent and unique vocabulary. Even the French can't understand half of what they're saying! TV5 put subtitles in French when broadcasting French Canadian shows

Edit:
I just noticed from your profile that you live in Karachi so that's made most of my post redundant. You can still watch TV5 news bulletins on their website www.TV5.fr

moiz
7th October 2010, 06:00
I spent some time in Colombia and my Spanish was okayish when I left...I can pick up accents and vocabulary well so I understand easily and speak with a good accent...grammar I struggle with...

Plan to do Central America in its entirety in the next few years to perfect it...At the moment I'm learning Bahasa Indonesian...quite easy so far but I'll be tested properly when I'm there next year...for an oriental language though its pretty much the easiest around and its pretty much the same as Malay so gives you scope...

As for tips...nothings better than going to France...my Spanish was awful till I got to Colombia...ideally go to somewhere where there wont be tourists and go alone so you have no choice but to immerse yourself...learn technical sides of the language at home but in terms of understanding and speaking nothing develops it more than going to the actual place...

WhiteDudeFromTrinidad is right about movies...I found them hard but some dialects are better than others...Colombian Spanish for instance is slow and easier to pickup...maybe there is a French equivalent...you know your really at one with the language when you understand football commentary lol...

Spanish! Wow! All of my younger cousins are learning Spanish these days here in Karachi. They like, Shakira, Nadal, FC Barcelona, Messi, etc... :)

How different is Columbian Spanish from Mexican or Castilian or Argentinian? Can you speak them?

You are right about movies, not the best option for beginners, same goes for songs.

I have been to France in May-June (after learning French for a month) and surprisingly I could understand some of the most common talk. No doubt, the immersion is the best way to learn a language. :)

I had to learn some French for work because I often make trips to France and Belgium

if you live in the UK like I do you can pick up several French radio stations on long wave. I have the frequencies stored on my car radio and I will often tune in to keep my ear in

there's also a French TV station TV5 on SKY channel 799 which I watch from time to time

the news shows are the best because the presenters speak in perfect French so it's easier for novices to understand

conversely French films are the worst because half of the dialogue is quickly spoken and littered with a lot of slang

try to avoid French Canadian shows/films. They have some weird accent and unique vocabulary. Even the French can't understand half of what they're saying! TV5 put subtitles in French when broadcasting French Canadian shows

Edit:
I just noticed from your profile that you live in Karachi so that's made most of my post redundant. You can still watch TV5 news bulletins on their website www.TV5.fr
You are spot on about the movies and I didn't know about the French Canadian shows/films that they are so different. Eye-opener!

My teacher forbade me from reading Le Monde when in France because it's very difficult and I may lose my confidence. Are the news channels easier than the newspapers?

Thanks for the link! :)

WhiteDudeFromTrinidad
7th October 2010, 06:59
You are spot on about the movies and I didn't know about the French Canadian shows/films that they are so different. Eye-opener!

My teacher forbade me from reading Le Monde when in France because it's very difficult and I may lose my confidence. Are the news channels easier than the newspapers?

de rien :)

I would agree with your teacher about Le Monde as you need to learn a large vocabulary to understand most of their articles

France has a dedicated sports paper called l'equipe which is less taxing so I would go with that although it has little or no cricket coverage

but imo TV news bulletins are the best because you get to hear the actual language and accent, something that you can't really get from books and newspapers. I also find it easier when I'm watching the news presenter speak the actual words, a bit like lip reading, as opposed to listening to a news show on the radio. Another benefit of watching French news bulletins is that it helps you keep abreast of current affairs especially European :)

shaykh1985
7th October 2010, 07:08

I would agree with your teacher about Le Monde as you need to learn a large vocabulary to understand most of their articles

France has a dedicated sports paper called l'equipe which is less taxing so I would go with that although it has little or no cricket coverage

but imo TV news bulletins are the best because you get to hear the actual language and accent, something that you can't really get from books and newspapers. I also find it easier when I'm watching the news presenter speak the actual words, a bit like lip reading, as opposed to listening to a news show on the radio. Another benefit of watching French news bulletins is that it helps you keep abreast of current affairs especially European :)

Melissa Theuriau fan? ;-) ...

iHammad
7th October 2010, 07:11
Here in Canada we have to learn french at school

ShaazE
7th October 2010, 07:12
Yea. I learnt Urdu.

WhiteDudeFromTrinidad
7th October 2010, 07:12
Melissa Theuriau fan? ;-) ...

oh yes, very much so :D

shaykh1985
7th October 2010, 07:16
Spanish! Wow! All of my younger cousins are learning Spanish these days here in Karachi. They like, Shakira, Nadal, FC Barcelona, Messi, etc... :)

How different is Columbian Spanish from Mexican or Castilian or Argentinian? Can you speak them?

You are right about movies, not the best option for beginners, same goes for songs.

I have been to France in May-June (after learning French for a month) and surprisingly I could understand some of the most common talk. No doubt, the immersion is the best way to learn a language. :)

Spanish from Spain is a lot different from Latin American Spanish...words are substituted often...and nah I cant speak it...Spaniards can easily tell its Latin American spanish when I speak...I personally really dont like the Spanish accent...

One of the reasons I chose Colombia is because they don't cut words much like most of South America...coastal countries and some others in South America often speak in slang too...I picked up Colombian slang but havent explored South America in its entirety yet...

If you ever think of learning Spanish which will be easy once you got French down I recommend Colombia as a top country...not overpopulated by tourists and the accent is slow and clear which made learning it a lot easier...it also sounds really nice imo...and the country and the people are really interesting...

kkmix
7th October 2010, 07:23
i learned German for abt 3 months then i quit, it was hard as hell.

shaykh1985
7th October 2010, 08:28

I did it at school for GCSE...absolute nightmare...

UmarAkmals-fan
7th October 2010, 13:56
english
chinese
urdu
punjabi

Desire
7th October 2010, 13:58
urdu
english
punjabi
french
italian
german
norwegin
swedish
finnish
serbian
spanish

and i speak first 3 of them.

Sakss
7th October 2010, 14:10
urdu- read, write and speak
english- read, write and speak
punjabi- read wite and speak
arabic- read, write and speak a little

UmarAkmals-fan
7th October 2010, 14:11
urdu
english
punjabi
french
italian
german
norwegin
swedish
finnish
serbian
spanish

and i speak first 3 of them.

lmaooo :yk

asifp
7th October 2010, 15:19
Urdu/English

can understand, Sindhi, Gujrati and a bit of Kachi/Baluchi/Punjabi

sad part is my dad can speak all of the above languages plus Persian.

sanakazmi
7th October 2010, 19:16
I love languages and I tried to learn Farsi (Persian) in 2008 but left after 2 months then I started learning Arabic and once again, left after 2 months.

Dono main nakam raha but aaj kal I'm learning French and loving it! It's been 6 months now and it's going well.

So have you ever tried to learn any foreign language? If yes, were you successful or unsuccessful? What were the reasons? Any tips?

Hey Moiz, where did you learn Farsi in Karachi? I've been trying to find a good language school for it without much luck.

To attempt to answer your original question, I think the key is to find a group of people who speak the language you're learning and practice with them. I took Spanish for 3 terms in college but never hung out with anyone who spoke it so I got zero practice outside class so I never really got comfortable with it. Nothing like immersion though. Even when I was just visiting Spanish-speaking countries (and really only using the kind of language a tourist would need to) I felt like I got used to it pretty quickly.

moiz
8th October 2010, 00:27

Merci beacoup! C'est trés informatif. Vous-avez correct.

Spanish from Spain is a lot different from Latin American Spanish...words are substituted often...and nah I cant speak it...Spaniards can easily tell its Latin American spanish when I speak...I personally really dont like the Spanish accent...

One of the reasons I chose Colombia is because they don't cut words much like most of South America...coastal countries and some others in South America often speak in slang too...I picked up Colombian slang but havent explored South America in its entirety yet...

If you ever think of learning Spanish which will be easy once you got French down I recommend Colombia as a top country...not overpopulated by tourists and the accent is slow and clear which made learning it a lot easier...it also sounds really nice imo...and the country and the people are really interesting...
My Mexican friends tells me that Mexcian Spanish is the most popular Spanish in the two American continents because of the Mexican media. They say that everyone can understand it in Latin America. Most of the films gets dubbed and subtitled in Mexican Spanish for all the Spanish speaking countries. It is also the most spoken version of Spanish.

But the Spaniards say that their Castellano is the real Spanish. So I'm still confused.

I did it at school for GCSE...absolute nightmare...
Really? I have heard that it's very easy to learn for English speakers because of the same structure. English is actually a Germanic language.

Hey Moiz, where did you learn Farsi in Karachi? I've been trying to find a good language school for it without much luck.

To attempt to answer your original question, I think the key is to find a group of people who speak the language you're learning and practice with them. I took Spanish for 3 terms in college but never hung out with anyone who spoke it so I got zero practice outside class so I never really got comfortable with it. Nothing like immersion though. Even when I was just visiting Spanish-speaking countries (and really only using the kind of language a tourist would need to) I felt like I got used to it pretty quickly.
Hello, I know of two.

- Department of Persian, University of Karachi (where I studied).
- Iranian Culture Centre, Teen Talwar.

Apart from these two, you can learn it on your own using the audio-books. I have one, which is truly awesome! It's called Pimsleur.

I have to confess, Farsi and Italian are the two most beautiful languages in the world. Intehai meethi.

Not to mention the killer prose and poetry of Molana Rumi, Shaykh Saadi, Hafiz Sheerazi, Omar Khayyam etc... Ah! Kya yaad dila dia.

ShehryarK
8th October 2010, 00:34
Much better than learning foreign languages is teaching them foreigners one's own language. If they are too thick to learn, their loss, innit :D

Cover Drive
8th October 2010, 00:37

Till Grade 9 only.

Cover Drive
8th October 2010, 00:39
The only languages I can speak fluenty are English, Urdu and Punjabi.

I am not interested in learning any other language. English is spoken all over the world as its a "Universal Language" so it does the trick for me :).

moiz
8th October 2010, 00:51
The only languages I can speak fluenty are English, Urdu and Punjabi.

I am not interested in learning any other language. English is spoken all over the world as its a "Universal Language" so it does the trick for me :).
I use to think the same before travelling to Italy, France and Turkey. Not everyone speak English in the world.

shaykh1985
8th October 2010, 04:55
Merci beacoup! C'est trés informatif. Vous-avez correct.

My Mexican friends tells me that Mexcian Spanish is the most popular Spanish in the two American continents because of the Mexican media. They say that everyone can understand it in Latin America. Most of the films gets dubbed and subtitled in Mexican Spanish for all the Spanish speaking countries. It is also the most spoken version of Spanish.

But the Spaniards say that their Castellano is the real Spanish. So I'm still confused.

Really? I have heard that it's very easy to learn for English speakers because of the same structure. English is actually a Germanic language.

Hello, I know of two.

Apart from these two, you can learn it on your own using the audio-books. I have one, which is truly awesome! It's called Pimsleur.

I have to confess, Farsi and Italian are the two most beautiful languages in the world. Intehai meethi.

Not to mention the killer prose and poetry of Molana Rumi, Shaykh Saadi, Hafiz Sheerazi, Omar Khayyam etc... Ah! Kya yaad dila dia.

I struggled with languages academically when I was young...maybe I might find German a bit easier now...

As for the Mexican thing I can imagine thats true...but just because its the most popular Spanish doesnt make it the best...its like for Arabs most of their best shows are Egyptian so everyone tends to know that version of Arabic...that isnt neccesarily indicative of its quality...the best to my understanding is in Mauritania and Yemen...

When you learn Latin American Spanish then every Spaniard will believe you learned the inferior version of Spanish...its standard colonial mentality where they feel they have the original and best version of the language...for me I prefer Latin American Spanish simply because I think it sounds nicer and I'd rather have the 3rd world version of the language than the original in terms of access...learning a language helps me get by in the countries I visit so if I sound less chic than some dude whos learned Spanish in Madrid it doesnt worry me so much...

AZ
8th October 2010, 05:10
Vouz avez correct?!

lol.

d0gers
8th October 2010, 11:34

How different is Columbian Spanish from Mexican or Castilian or Argentinian? Can you speak them?Moiz you should give Spanish a go. It isn't hard to learn. It is pronounced almost exactly as its written and the pronunciation for native Urdu speakers isn't that difficult.

As for differences between the various forms of Spanish, it is mainly a difference in accents. Like the dude doing different English accents here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

the same way most native Spanish speakers have a good idea of where you're from/where you learned the language based on how you speak.

In general Spanish in Spain sounds pretty coarse. I would liken it to how Urdu sounds when spoken with a Punjabi accent. Whereas in Latin America they talk almost as if they're singing, in a sort of melodic way. So it doesn't hurt the ears as much.

Then there are a few broad differences in terms of word usage. Just as they are in English between British/American, like lift/elevator, jug/pitcher, etc.

Also in Latin American Spanish, they have the equivalent of 'aap' and 'tum' in Urdu.. 'usted' and 'tu'. So if you're addressing someone formally or with respect, you'd use 'usted'. In Spain, they generally don't use the 'usted' form, everything's 'tu', just like it's all 'you' in English.

But then in certain Latin countries like Argentina, Paraguay, they have a third form, which would be sort of like the 'tu' in Urdu/Punjabi, which is only reserved for people very familiar to you. This is the 'vos' form in Spanish, and not used that widely.

Anyway, subtle differences like this, but the main difference as I said is in accents. Formal language is the same everywhere.

A good way for me to keep in touch with it is to try and read Spanish newspapers online, especially for football news, and try and watch Spanish broadcasts of games. But yeah, nothing works like actually immersing yourself in a place where they only speak what you're trying to learn.

moiz
8th October 2010, 15:07
Vouz avez correct?!

lol.
Should it be 'vous êtes correct' then?:ibutt

How about 'vous avez raison' ?

WhiteDudeFromTrinidad
9th October 2010, 00:57

that's true, but over the centuries the language further evolved and without doubt the biggest impact was in 1066 (I think) when England was invaded and conquered by the French. Modern English is more French than German. I'm sure you're already aware of this but you might not have noticed the scale of the French influence. I would say that nearly half of the English language is derived from French.

for example, there are approximately 1,200 words in the English language that end in "tion" such as reservation, condition, situation and so on

all those "tion" words come from French, and they have the same meaning!

so anyone who speaks English and is thinking of learning French, well there's a 1,200 word vocabulary that you already know!

of course the pronunciation (<--another French word) is different (<--and another!) 'tion' is pronounced "zhion" but you probably already know that

Edit: sorry there is one exception to the above and ironically it's 'traduction' which means 'translation'

WhiteDudeFromTrinidad
9th October 2010, 01:10
Should it be 'vous êtes correct' then?:ibutt

How about 'vous avez raison' ?

vous avez raison imo :)

shaykh1985
9th October 2010, 02:46
Moiz you should give Spanish a go. It isn't hard to learn. It is pronounced almost exactly as its written and the pronunciation for native Urdu speakers isn't that difficult.

As for differences between the various forms of Spanish, it is mainly a difference in accents. Like the dude doing different English accents here:

the same way most native Spanish speakers have a good idea of where you're from/where you learned the language based on how you speak.

In general Spanish in Spain sounds pretty coarse. I would liken it to how Urdu sounds when spoken with a Punjabi accent. Whereas in Latin America they talk almost as if they're singing, in a sort of melodic way. So it doesn't hurt the ears as much.

Then there are a few broad differences in terms of word usage. Just as they are in English between British/American, like lift/elevator, jug/pitcher, etc.

Also in Latin American Spanish, they have the equivalent of 'aap' and 'tum' in Urdu.. 'usted' and 'tu'. So if you're addressing someone formally or with respect, you'd use 'usted'. In Spain, they generally don't use the 'usted' form, everything's 'tu', just like it's all 'you' in English.

But then in certain Latin countries like Argentina, Paraguay, they have a third form, which would be sort of like the 'tu' in Urdu/Punjabi, which is only reserved for people very familiar to you. This is the 'vos' form in Spanish, and not used that widely.

Anyway, subtle differences like this, but the main difference as I said is in accents. Formal language is the same everywhere.

A good way for me to keep in touch with it is to try and read Spanish newspapers online, especially for football news, and try and watch Spanish broadcasts of games. But yeah, nothing works like actually immersing yourself in a place where they only speak what you're trying to learn.

Which one did you learn bro?...

sanakazmi
9th October 2010, 12:08
Hello, I know of two.

Thanks for the info! Can anybody take the course at KU or do you have to be enrolled in one of their degree programs?

You're right about Farsi and Italian - definitely two languages I'd love to master.

d0gers
9th October 2010, 15:23
Which one did you learn bro?...Both. I started learning the language in the US, where the influence is heavily Latin, in terms of accents and word usage. Then I lived in Spain for around 4 months so got exposed to that side of things as well.

Although the part of Spain I was in (southern Spain) the accent there while a lot different has some similarities to the Latin accent. The majority of the colonizers came from the southern lands, so it's their tendency to drop certain letters (like "esta" becomes "eta" etc) that one can see in certain places, especially Central America and the Caribbean. Also the accent in the south is less lispy than in the rest of the country.

moiz
12th October 2010, 10:41

Till Grade 9 only.
Canadian French? Do they tell you about the difference of the Parisian French? Which dictionary do you use?

moiz
12th October 2010, 10:46
I struggled with languages academically when I was young...maybe I might find German a bit easier now...

As for the Mexican thing I can imagine thats true...but just because its the most popular Spanish doesnt make it the best...its like for Arabs most of their best shows are Egyptian so everyone tends to know that version of Arabic...that isnt neccesarily indicative of its quality...the best to my understanding is in Mauritania and Yemen...

When you learn Latin American Spanish then every Spaniard will believe you learned the inferior version of Spanish...its standard colonial mentality where they feel they have the original and best version of the language...for me I prefer Latin American Spanish simply because I think it sounds nicer and I'd rather have the 3rd world version of the language than the original in terms of access...learning a language helps me get by in the countries I visit so if I sound less chic than some dude whos learned Spanish in Madrid it doesnt worry me so much...
Fair enough! Which Spanish do they teach in US, the second most popular/widely spoken language there?

moiz
12th October 2010, 10:49
Moiz you should give Spanish a go. It isn't hard to learn. It is pronounced almost exactly as its written and the pronunciation for native Urdu speakers isn't that difficult.

Wow! Thanks for the explanation :)

I have heard that the Spanish spoken in Argentina, sounds pretty much like Italian. Why is it so?

moiz
12th October 2010, 10:53
that's true, but over the centuries the language further evolved and without doubt the biggest impact was in 1066 (I think) when England was invaded and conquered by the French. Modern English is more French than German. I'm sure you're already aware of this but you might not have noticed the scale of the French influence. I would say that nearly half of the English language is derived from French.

for example, there are approximately 1,200 words in the English language that end in "tion" such as reservation, condition, situation and so on

all those "tion" words come from French, and they have the same meaning!

so anyone who speaks English and is thinking of learning French, well there's a 1,200 word vocabulary that you already know!

of course the pronunciation (<--another French word) is different (<--and another!) 'tion' is pronounced "zhion" but you probably already know that

Edit: sorry there is one exception to the above and ironically it's 'traduction' which means 'translation'
Yeah. Could you please also write about the influence of English on French? I have heard that English is a Germanic language with French influence and French is a Latin language with English influence.

moiz
12th October 2010, 10:56
Both. I started learning the language in the US, where the influence is heavily Latin, in terms of accents and word usage. Then I lived in Spain for around 4 months so got exposed to that side of things as well.

Although the part of Spain I was in (southern Spain) the accent there while a lot different has some similarities to the Latin accent. The majority of the colonizers came from the southern lands, so it's their tendency to drop certain letters (like "esta" becomes "eta" etc) that one can see in certain places, especially Central America and the Caribbean. Also the accent in the south is less lispy than in the rest of the country.
So in the US they teach Latin American Spanish? Is there any board or authority of Latin American Spanish? Dictionary?

moiz
12th October 2010, 11:00
Thanks for the info! Can anybody take the course at KU or do you have to be enrolled in one of their degree programs?

You're right about Farsi and Italian - definitely two languages I'd love to master.
Sana, anybody can take the language courses at KU. The admissions will start in the first week of January.

Italian is also available at KU, with the support of the Italian consulate. May be you can take both. :afridi

d0gers
12th October 2010, 23:45
Wow! Thanks for the explanation :)

I have heard that the Spanish spoken in Argentina, sounds pretty much like Italian. Why is it so?Well, Argentinians are essentially immigrants from Italy, so maybe that's why! It's just the accent I guess.
So in the US they teach Latin American Spanish? Is there any board or authority of Latin American Spanish? Dictionary?No, it's the same formal language everywhere. Just like the written English in England is the same as the English in Australia or the US.

Most of my teachers were from Latin America so that's the accent I got exposed to. In the formal language there is no difference

moiz
13th October 2010, 02:59
No, it's the same formal language everywhere. Just like the written English in England is the same as the English in Australia or the US.

Most of my teachers were from Latin America so that's the accent I got exposed to. In the formal language there is no difference
Formal Spanish means the one from Madrid?

d0gers
13th October 2010, 03:08
Formal Spanish means the one from Madrid?No, by formal Spanish I mean the language you read in books and newspapers and what you study in the classroom.

moiz
13th October 2010, 03:16
No, by formal Spanish I mean the language you read in books and newspapers and what you study in the classroom.
OK, got it.

Which version of spoken Spanish is closest to the formal Spanish?
The spoken English of London is closest to the formal English.

sanakazmi
16th October 2010, 09:31
Sana, anybody can take the language courses at KU. The admissions will start in the first week of January.

Italian is also available at KU, with the support of the Italian consulate. May be you can take both. :afridi

I had an Italian roommate once, it's such a fun language!

Thanks again for the info - January is so far away!

I like the Afridi smiley btw. If he had to be any other nationality, he would definitely be Italian.

moiz
17th October 2010, 04:03
I had an Italian roommate once, it's such a fun language!

Thanks again for the info - January is so far away!

I like the Afridi smiley btw. If he had to be any other nationality, he would definitely be Italian.
Italian roommate! Wow! I had many Italian hostel-mates when I was in Italy last year. They are cool people. Beautiful people. Beautiful language. Delicious food.

Yes, January is far. You can take French in November at Alliance Francais. One problem with KU courses; they are 12 months long. Jan to Dec.

AfghanCricketFan
16th November 2010, 23:44
Dari - read- write- speak
Pashto- read-write-speak
urdu- read write(50 %)-speak
English- read- write-speak
Russian read-write-speak ( so far i am the first one in here who knows Russian)
Some (arabic /turkish/spanish /punjabi )

saad1024
17th November 2010, 20:10
Urdu - Read, write, speak
Punjabi - Read, speak
English- Read, write, speak
French - Read and understand in bits

Quite impressive list some PPers have got...

Mariyam
2nd January 2011, 10:52
English-Read, Write & Speak
Hindi- Read, Write & Speak
Urdu- Read, Write & Speak
Marathi- Read, Write (same as Hindi) , Understand pretty well but can't speak much
Konkani - Can speak to an extent (Father's mothertongue)
Gujarati- Can only understand bits and pieces (mom's Bohri)
Talking nonsense regardless of the language: an expert in that :D

anakwalajinn
17th February 2011, 08:12
Salaam :D

Norwegian, Urdu & English
Very little French, Arabic & Tamil. VERY little :)

LethalSami
23rd February 2011, 11:52
Not many Punjabi speakers here??????

im Punjabi..............but like most punjabis..............punjabi is mostly spoken.........rarely written or read it......

English, Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi (speak)......read only's.....spanish and french and arabic and farsi :)

understand Hindko a bit........

No_Username
24th February 2011, 20:03
Me:
Urdu-read,write,speak
Punjabi(toti puji)
English-
French-learning
spanish-learning
latin-basics
read arabic
Can understand Hindi(all can)

and i can hear all languages.

avidlearner
24th February 2011, 21:35
Tamil-Read,Write,Speak (Mother tongue)
English-Read, Write, Speak
Hindi-Speak
Telugu-Speak
Malayalam-Speak

shaykh1985
1st March 2011, 05:49
Salaam :D

Norwegian, Urdu & English
Very little French, Arabic & Tamil. VERY little :)

If you wanted to I presume you could pick up Danish and Swedish quite easily if you wanted to?...

shaykh1985
1st March 2011, 05:51
Dari - read- write- speak
Pashto- read-write-speak
urdu- read write(50 %)-speak
English- read- write-speak
Russian read-write-speak ( so far i am the first one in here who knows Russian)
Some (arabic /turkish/spanish /punjabi )

That is seriously impressive...

How fluent is your Russian and how did you come to learn it if you dont mind me asking?...

amirfanforlife
1st March 2011, 15:44
English – Read, write and speak.
Urdu – Speak (Very little, but I'm getting there)
French – Read, write and speak.
Italian – Read, write and speak.
Punjabi – Speak.

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN
2nd March 2011, 06:02
English-speak, read and write
Urdu-speak, read and write
French-read and speak (a little bit)
Punjabi-speak
Arabic-speak (basic, still learning tho), read and write.
Mirpuri-speak

shahrukh619
2nd March 2011, 11:23
urdu and english. Whats funny is that i was born in pak but can barely read and write in urdu

saajidrox
2nd March 2011, 16:55
english read write and speak
tamil speak only
sinhala speak and read a bit ans also write a bit
arabic read Quraan

Pakistani93
3rd March 2011, 01:10
Arabic: Can read
]Urdu: Can speak and read
Punjabi: can understand but can't speak
English: can speak, read and write

Khan88
26th March 2011, 07:13
English - read, write, speak
Urdu - Speak/ read a little
Hindko - Speak (my favorite)
Arabic - read Quran

Taimur
20th April 2011, 18:37
Urdu: Speak and understand

English: Read, write, speak, understand

Spanish: Speak a fair bit, understand little, write a bit, read OK

Badly would do with Spanish lessions

Hola y bienvenido amigos de Pakpassion!

Abdullah22
5th July 2011, 04:46
Urdu: Excellent
Punjabi: Wadia
German: Good
English: Okay
French: Improving
Arabic: Learning: Understand quite a bit.
Turkish: Learning: Understand the topic of discussion
Uzbek: Some phrases
Pashto: two phrases
Vietnamese: want to learn

Languages are awesome.

Looney
5th July 2011, 06:17
koi zubaan nahi chori ^

DHONI183
5th July 2011, 20:04
Urdu: Excellent
Punjabi: Wadia
German: Good
English: Okay
French: Improving
Arabic: Learning: Understand quite a bit.
Turkish: Learning: Understand the topic of discussion
Uzbek: Some phrases
Pashto: two phrases
Vietnamese: want to learn

Languages are awesome.

You are right - languages really are a passion:).

koi zubaan nahi chori ^

Was thinking the same:)).

Abdullah22
5th July 2011, 22:33
koi zubaan nahi chori ^

Chinese:21:

I find it very sad that in Pakistan you don't have to learn Farsi and Arabic anymore.

I also think that since in Pakistan we have a lot of linguistic Groups it must be made necessary that you learn at least one other language beside your mother tongue.

Eg. If your mother tongue is Punjabi then you must at least learn one of Pashto/Sindhi/Balochi and vice versa.

Looney
6th July 2011, 01:43
Yes , up until my father's generation in my family , learning farsi was a requirement . if you wanted to be called eductaed , you had to know farsi .

hamare tak aate aate sirf jahilana traditions hi reh gayeeN :P thank God for Qur'an being in Arabic , at least we get to learn the basics of that and how to read and write it .

Phool
8th August 2011, 15:19
Arabic
German
Urdu
cannot speak Farsi, Italian, turkish and Punjabi fluently.

velu
8th August 2011, 21:44
English - Read , Write and Speak
Tamil - Read , Write ( with little errors ) and Speak
Hindi - Read only

USIND
8th August 2011, 22:21
You can read hindi,but can't speak...how is it possible?
(Isn't reading hindi much more difficult? )

DHONI183
8th August 2011, 23:54

Perhaps it is a similar case to what a lot of non-Arab Muslims are used to - they can read Arabic since they do it to be able to read the Qur´an but cannot understand the language in itself.

Let´s see what Velu has to say:13:......

Sabba
9th August 2011, 00:25
English, Urdu,Pothwari, Punjabi, French and can understand but can't speak Arabic fluently :)

Prince_Pathan
9th August 2011, 02:19
pashto fluent
english fluent
urdu fluent
punjabi
gaeilge (irish) fluent
french

USIND
9th August 2011, 05:34
Perhaps it is a similar case to what a lot of non-Arab Muslims are used to - they can read Arabic since they do it to be able to read the Qur´an but cannot understand the language in itself.

Let´s see what Velu has to say:13:......

You're right that might be the case. On to you,Velu.

velu
9th August 2011, 22:26

I studied hindi till my 8th std :(.
I am damn good in reading hindi :)
Compound letters in both tamil and hindi is almost similar ie ka ka ki ke and the representation of compound words is also similar.

But i dont know the meaning of most of the words unless the words are shared.
( In 3 idiots some ***** says balatkar without knowing its meaning , but in tamil its actually Palatkaram , Amir khan fooled all )
So cant speak :(

USIND
9th August 2011, 23:00
Lol....that 3 Idiots speech was funny though :))).

Cricfan4eva
11th August 2011, 23:18
English
Hindi
Punjabi and Tamil - not fluent
Sindhi

SAF
16th August 2011, 21:18
English
Urdu
Punjabi
Spanish-somewhat fluent

Itachi
27th August 2011, 16:56
English....

Hindi

bengali

assamese

russian

ukranian....

All speak, read and write.

Can speak and understand a little bit of french and spanish.... (not too much though)

Hot Spot
21st February 2012, 17:05
tunjho nalo chha aahay

TAK
9th March 2012, 14:19
I also think that since in Pakistan we have a lot of linguistic Groups it must be made necessary that you learn at least one other language beside your mother tongue.

urdu ?

and i'm not sure arabic was ever taught other than quranic arabic by rote

farsi however was taught bur replaced by english

Sidcricfan
31st October 2012, 22:05
Hindi
English
Sanskrit

DHONI183
1st November 2012, 13:56
Hindi
English
Sanskrit

Are you really good at Sanskrit:O? If so, well,.... then:14:!

adnanulhaq97
1st November 2012, 14:05
Urdu
English
And Partially French

Pakistaniboy
1st November 2012, 16:03
Norwegian

Punjabi

Urdu

English

Spanish

prayas
10th November 2013, 07:55
Marathi-speak,write,read
Telugu-understand
Kannada-understand
Hindi-speak,write,read
English-speak,write,read

truefan
10th November 2013, 08:34
Hindi:read write speak
English:read write speak
Bengali:read write speak
Urdu:Speak
Marathi:read write and understand
Telugu:50% understand
Assamese:read and understand
Oriya:understand
Punjabi:understand

Kianig89
10th November 2013, 17:01
English, Urdu: Read write Speak

Arabic : Read Write

Pothohari, Pahari, Saraiki :Speak (can read or write but bever did so far )

kaayal
10th November 2013, 21:07
1)Malayalam-read,write and speak
2)English-read,write and speak
3)Hindi-read,write and speak
4)Arabic-read and write.
5)Tamil-understand well.
6)Telugu-understand a little bit here and there.

Tamil and telugu were mainly learnt through watching films.and except for malayalam i have grammar problems with almost all other languages.

Nikhil_cric
10th November 2013, 21:12
Malayalam - speak,read
English - read,write,speak
Kannada - read,write,speak
Hindi - not much proficiency but i can manage