PDA

View Full Version : Learning Urdu

Howzat
4th April 2010, 22:42
I wish to learn Urdu. I have good command over Hindi and therefore I am quite familiar with spoken urdu (not hardcore though). I want to learn the writing. Can someone suggest a good free online tutorial for that? Remember, those cursive lines look very difficult to me. So suggest one that would be easy for me to start from scratch. Also, as I learn, I want to be perfect with the pronunciations.

So, suggest a good free online tutorial.

DW44
4th April 2010, 23:19
This will get you started:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/guide/urdu/steps.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/guide/urdu/key_phrases.shtml
http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/learn/Urdu.asp

A couple of things you might want to keep in mind are that while Urdu and Hindi seem very similar to the untrained ear, there's a lot of very subtle differences you'll have to take into account e.g teray ko/meray ko is commonly used in hindi whereas tumhain/mujhay is used in urdu even though both are correct in both languages. If you can understand the differences, you've completed half the job. Best of luck.
PS. For the accent/pronunciation, watch Pakistani channels on TV/youtube, there's not much else that you can do.

Zaz
4th April 2010, 23:28
I wish to learn Urdu. I have good command over Hindi and therefore I am quite familiar with spoken urdu (not hardcore though). I want to learn the writing. Can someone suggest a good free online tutorial for that? Remember, those cursive lines look very difficult to me. So suggest one that would be easy for me to start from scratch. Also, as I learn, I want to be perfect with the pronunciations.

So, suggest a good free online tutorial.

Try watching some pakistani channels, news, dramas etc, ull pick up the differences

Its very similar to hindi (not to damn hindi), but urdu you can say has more tehzeeb

Howzat
4th April 2010, 23:31
Thanks very much Tanzeel and Zaz. I have a fair idea of Urdu pronunciation. What I implied in my post is that i want to learn to be able to pronounce right by reading. What I mean is that if I read a new Urdu word in Urdu script, I should be able to pronounce it right just from the writing.

DW44
5th April 2010, 01:40
For that you'll have to learn the alphabet. The first link in my previous post has a section for that where they teach the alphabet. It'll be a bit hard given that there's 34 different alphabets and there's a different way of using them for every word.

Looney
5th April 2010, 02:48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnlIggMGA6s

this is a video which will help you learn how to say each alphabet . If you want to get the pronunciation spot on , try saying arabic alphabets . arabic is a bit different because correct me if i am wrong but pakistanis pronounce their alphabets the iranian way. for example , arabs say "ba" we say "beh"

this is just to help you pronounce each alphabet correctly because in urdu, you are supposed to say "kahf" and "qowf" but most people don't do that .or maybe you can do that later once you learn it because i do not want to make it more complicated for you

after you learn your alphabets , we can move on to words and then sentences :)

afzaal1988
5th April 2010, 04:54
and in urdu its larka(boy) instead of ladka.
i have noticed indians dont use "ar" and use "d" like ladki,(larki) ****,(choar)hadipa,(haripa) etc. etc.

Howzat
5th April 2010, 14:07
Thanks guys.

@Looney: Actually I wanted to learn Arabic, but I was told it instead of trying Hindi to Arabic or English to Arabic, it would be easier for me to learn Urdu first and then try Arabic. And of course I would end up learning two wonderful languages. Is that right advice?

Looney
6th April 2010, 00:42
that is great if you want to learn Arabic . i was only telling you (not to learn it if you do not want to but at least say the alphabets so you can pronounce each alphabet more clearly) that so it can help you with pronunciation . arabic is very complicated and difficult to learn because people say they have different words for everything and each one is used according to the context or something . urdu , in comparison , is much easier

Howzat
6th April 2010, 15:06
I learned about the letter Alif. I see that where it looks like a straight line, it's not really one. In some places its a little slanted or tilted and in some other places they show it like a curve. Also the width of the line changes from top to bottom. I am a little confused what is correct. Help?

d0gers
6th April 2010, 21:44
Alif by itself is pretty much a straight line. The width changing thing is just a stylized way of writing it in formal script. When your average schoolboy writes alif in his notebook, it's like writing 1 or a capital I without the bars.

This is Alif:
ا

There's also the Alif with a little tilde on top, called Alif Madda:
آ

This is for when the Alif's sound is stretched at the beginning of the word. For example, aasmaan (sky) will begin with an Alif Madda, but andar (inside) will begin with a regular Alif.

The other differences might be because of Alif being joined with other letters. For example, Laam and Alif separately will be written like this:
ل ا

but when they're joined together in a word they're written like this:
لا