Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imran Khan's views on Richards,Abbas, and Gavaskar

An interesting read

1.Richards

Where batsmen are concerned, Vivian Richards stands head and shoulders above everyone else. His greatness lies not only in his talent, but also in his determination. He has immense pride in himself and in his team. He has the best reflexes of any batsmen I have come across. When I first played against him, in the West Indies, I was not a genuine fast bowler, but I did vary my pace a bit. He played me almost as if I were a spinner; to block my inswing, he would put his front foot down and across the wicket. I would
    continue at medium pace and then try to surprise him with a bouncer; although he was on the front foot he would merely lean back and hit the ball over mid wicket. I had a recurring nightmare on that West Indies tour, that Viv and I were two Wild West gunslingers, and had to draw against each other. In dreams you are slow anyway, and it is not hard to imagine how I felt trying to outdraw Viv Richards. Richards has had a great deal to do with the West Indian supremacy over the years. He has gone out against fast bowlers like Lillee and Thomson, and has not just tried to stay there but has gone for them and knocked them about as though he was playing in a school match. This attitude makes it easier for the following batsmen, who realise that the bowlers are only human; and the bowlers confidence is shattered when their best deliveries are carted about. I remember an innings Richards played against England in Manchester in 1984. He came in when Greenidge was 4 or 5; not long afterwards, Richards was out for 64, by which time
    Greenidge had moved on to 6 or 7. I asked Richards afterwards if he had got something against Bob Willis,
    because he had been especially hard on Willis's bowling. Richards replied that he was younger, Willis had come out to the Caribbean with England. He had hooked him once, but was out the second time he tried it, and called Richards a black *******' as he walked off; Richards was always keen for revenge. Richards has great pride in his race and colour. He is capable of rising to the big occasion, think of all those runs he has scored in big finals at Lord's, or the huge crowds at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Australia. I was amazed when Somerset sacked Richards, because he had always tried his utmost for his county. Somerset were struggling because they had a poor team, with no one to back up Richards and Garner. They did all right in one-day matches, but in the championship you need good back-up bowlers. Take Hampshire for example; Malcolm Marshall has done consistently well for them in recent years, but because their other bowlers are not penetrative enough they've never won the championship in that time.

2.Zaheer Abbas

Statistically one of Pakistan's all time greats, Zaheer Abbas, was certainly the best timer of the ball I have ever seen. There may have been harder hitters, but no one could match his timing. At Karachi in 1982-3, during his 186, he went to drive a ball from Kapil Dev and found that it was not quite up to him. He checked his shot and played defensively, and his innate timing sent the ball away for four past cover. The cricket commentators kept replaying this shot on television, pointing out that Zaheer had'nt even followed through. His exquisite timing meant that he was a great player of spin bowling, which he could take
    apart on any wickets. Zaheer could play off either foot, and through either side of the wicket, but his main problem was one of temperament. As soon as he was under pressure, he found it hard going, and often fell into a bad patch. Once in a poor run of form, he often found it difficult to break out again. He also had a problem with pace bowling. It didn't seem to worry him early in his career, but in the early 1980s he
    suffered a form of shellshock. He was never the same after Sylvester Clarke had hit him on the head during the West Indies tour of Pakistan in 1980-1, often making excuses or taking the easy option by hitting out wildly against the slower bowlers. He was also very conscious of his average, which counts against him in my view. I can't really rate him in the top flight of batsmen.

3.Gavaskar

Moving over the border to India, it will come as no great surprise if the first name I select is that of Sunil Gavaskar. His record is such that he must remain one of the all time greats. Gavaskar has had a great influence on Indian cricket, matched in recent years only by Kapil Dev,
    whose main significance was that he was the first bowler of any pace that India has produced for many years. But Gavaskar has made the greater contribution in my opinion. In the 1950s and 1960s, Indian batsmen had a reputation for avoiding fast bowling, and some of them were even known to back away towards square leg if a quick bowler came on. Gavaskar changed all this. He played pace with relative
    ease: he could hook if he wanted to, but more often, he would leave the bouncer alone and watch it sail by. His defence is well organised, and he is a very intelligent batsman who performs well under pressure. Indeed he has played some of his best innings under intense pressure: twice India has made a good fist of chasing over 400 runs to win a Test, and on both occasions, Gavaskar was the major factor. Agains the West Indies in Port of Spain in 1975-6, Gavaskar scored 102 to set his side on the way to 406-4, the
    highest score ever made to win a test. And at the Oval in 1979 he hit a magnificent 221 as India chased 438. They fell a few runs short of improving their record, but drew the match. The best innings I ever saw him play was his 96 at Bangalore, in what turned out to be his final test. It was one of the most difficult pitches I have ever seen - the ball was turning square, bouncing awkwardly and sometimes keeping low. Pakistan were bowled out for 116 in their first innings, after which India made 145. Thanks to gritty play
    by our tail enders, we set India 221 to win, and Gavaskar
    played an incredible innings. Both teams knew that the match would be over if Gavaskar was out, which was what eventually happened: Iqbal Qasim had him caught, just four short of what would have been his thirty-fifth Test century. He is the master of an unusual shot: a type of late flick which he plays with great control between square leg and midwicket, I have never seen any other batsman play this shot with such precision. It brings him a lot of runs, which is one reason why he can keep the scoreboard ticking over.
    Although he has had to cut out a lot of his more risky shots in the team's interest, he can be brilliant when he lets himself go, and I have seen him outscore stroke makers like
    Srikkanth on occasions. I batted with him for a long time during the MCC bicentennial match at Lord's in 1987. He scored 188, I made 82, and we put on 180 for the fifth wicket. I found it a revelation to see how he tackled certain bowlers, and how he understood the game. He is a master, and I am afraid that
    Indian cricket will struggle to replace him adequately.
    Last edited by vishy_the king64; 4th October 2010 at 12:30.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be an old article...may be at the time when Gavaskar retired

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this from All Round View? Saw Richards take Willis apart on a number of occasions. Really poor show from Bob Dylan....
    Last edited by Amoeba; 4th October 2010 at 13:00.

Bad Boys, Bad Boys....What you gonna do when the ICC come for you

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Is this from All Round View? Saw Richards take Willis apart on a number of occasions. Really poor show from Bob Dylan....
    Certainly is from "All Round View", remember RGD Willis denying calling Viv a "Black *******". Don't know if he followed up with any legal action.....

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember reading it at the time - but that was well over 20 years ago! How time flies!
    I guess the really shocking part now looking back was Imran's dismissal of a fellow team mate Zaheer - but it came as no real surprise at the time.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little bit surprised at Bob as he was quite friendly with Botham who of course was massive mates with Viv in particular, and also Garner.

However such phrases, were I'm afraid, rather common in British sport at the time

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember reading it at the time - but that was well over 20 years ago! How time flies!
    I guess the really shocking part now looking back was Imran's dismissal of a fellow team mate Zaheer - but it came as no real surprise at the time.
    Imran also rated Zaheer poorly, because he believed that Zaheer was desperate to skipper Pakistan. IK was of the view that the Captaincy wasn't something to be sought in that manner...
    I'm a little bit surprised at Bob as he was quite friendly with Botham who of course was massive mates with Viv in particular, and also Garner.

However such phrases, were I'm afraid, rather common in British sport at the time
    True. In football, think Ron Atkinson, he was a big champion of black players in the 70s and 80s and then fast forward to his Desailly moment....

Fair play to Botham, he (along with other English notables such as Gower and Edmonds) never went to apartheid South Africa, because of his friendship with Viv - when so many did - including Bob and Boycs.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep very true, & how times have changed now with any player who has played 10 jamodis staking his claim to be skipper

At least in the past, even before Imran's time we didn't have the Captaincy merry go round we have had since 92.

To be fair to the likes of Willis and Boycs they were coming to end of their careers whilst Botham and Gower were at their peaks. But there was no excuse for going to SA.
    Last edited by Amoeba; 4th October 2010 at 13:37.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree mate. It was bad enough getting knicked by NOTW, but to wear that leather jacket afterwards....

We've had more Chiefs than Indians in our teams recently. Until we get somebody with the authority and character of IK running the PCB, the farce will carry on.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair to the likes of Willis and Boycs they were coming to end of their careers whilst Botham and Gower were at their peaks. But there was no excuse for going to SA.
    Willis went on one of the earlier ones didn't he?

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    ATL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he write anything about Miandad? Would love to hear about that.

You think the honey badger cares? It don't care. It doesn't give a $#!%.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan is a once in a generation type of character. I fear that maybe that kind of person with those kind of values may no longer even exist. A person old enough to know very clearly the sacrifices that his parents had to make during partition, and therefore a pride to serve the nation. The famous Kennedy address of ask not what your country can do for you............. comes to mind. However I'm aware it is rich of me to say that sat many miles away from Pakistan - my family having left first to go to Kenya and then onto Britain.

But he also in a way symbolised what was worst about Pakistani or Indian cricket at the time as well - elitist and western facing - a throwback to the colonial days of the British Raj. The WC wins by the subcontinent teams in 83, 92 & 96 opened the game up to people of more average means and poorer backgrounds. The result is a more inclusive game but also individuals who require a much greater level of help to cope with the intrusive demands of the celebrity world that they now move in.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farsiddiqui View Post
    Like Amoeba said, the book was out about 20 years ago.

There was some stuff about Miandad, can't remember it so it can't have been contentious. I read the passages about Viv and Zaheer and they did comeback - esp about Viv and Bob Willis.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    Sidanay
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent post Moe, sums up the issue facing Pakistani youngsters from a different angle.

He is fundamentally aware of his aura within the team. His exhilaration infects them.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan is a once in a generation type of character. I fear that maybe that kind of person with those kind of values may no longer even exist. A person old enough to know very clearly the sacrifices that his parents had to make during partition, and therefore a pride to serve the nation. The famous Kennedy address of ask not what your country can do for you............. comes to mind. However I'm aware it is rich of me to say that sat many miles away from Pakistan - my family having left first to go to Kenya and then onto Britain.

But he also in a way symbolised what was worst about Pakistani or Indian cricket at the time as well - elitist and western facing - a throwback to the colonial days of the British Raj. The WC wins by the subcontinent teams in 83, 92 & 96 opened the game up to people of more average means and poorer backgrounds. The result is a more inclusive game but also individuals who require a much greater level of help to cope with the intrusive demands of the celebrity world that they now move in.
    Great post mate

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I don't recall Willis going to SA. In fact I'm sure because wasn't the first tour in 82 and Willis obviously captained in the series against Pakistan later in the year.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol yep, I was thinking where I had read this before.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He didn't really like Miandad personally but he had a lot of respect for him as a cricketer, far more than he seemed to have for Zaheer Abbas. I read his autobiography years ago and have to agree that under pressure Abbas tended to get panicky. Unlike Miandad who would dig in then make the bowler pay big time.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I don't recall Willis going to SA. In fact I'm sure because wasn't the first tour in 82 and Willis obviously captained in the series against Pakistan later in the year.
    My apologies, you maybe right:

"Willis, however, withdrew after he got back and found he had been offered a more beneficial contract by Warwickshire."
    http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/con...ry/434386.html

I do vaguely recall, Imran mentioning that Willis had some sort of ban after he had played in South Africa during the Apartheid years. But looking at Wiki/Google, he certainly doesn't appear on any Rebel lists.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree that people of Imran's values are rare these days and while you might be correct that he symbolised the elitism of the colonial days, I would say that he did it in a good way, in that this feeling of self importance allowed him to compete with the best in the world and usually come out on top.

Contrast that with self-important bullies like Ijaz Butt who throw their weight around at home but end up handing out grovelling apologies abroad after showing lack of class and judgement.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdMan View Post
    Fair play to Botham, he (along with other English notables such as Gower and Edmonds) never went to apartheid South Africa, because of his friendship with Viv - when so many did - including Bob and Boycs.
    Willis did not go a rebel tour of SA.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I would agree that people of Imran's values are rare these days and while you might be correct that he symbolised the elitism of the colonial days, I would say that he did it in a good way, in that this feeling of self importance allowed him to compete with the best in the world and usually come out on top.

Contrast that with self-important bullies like Ijaz Butt who throw their weight around at home but end up handing out grovelling apologies abroad after showing lack of class and judgement.
    I agree that Imran's superiority complex was a positive - that for once we had a player who didn't back down, who didn't settle for second best - when he was told to forget bowling fast and concentrate instead on line and length by his Worcs coach - he came back more determined to prove everyone wrong. He could have quite easily have been a playboy - instead he had a burning ambition to be a winner.

Butt illustrates all that is worst about a non-meritocratic corrupt brown sahib culture. Not even worth comparing to someone of the stature of Imran.
    Last edited by Amoeba; 4th October 2010 at 16:16.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    ATL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that Imran's superiority complex was a positive - that for once we had a player who didn't back down, who didn't settle for second best - when he was told to forget bowling fast and concentrate instead on length and line by his Worcs coach - he came back more determined to prove everyone wrong. He could have quite easily have been a playboy - instead he had a burning ambition to be a winner.

Butt illustrates all that is worst about a non-meritocratic corrupt brown sahib culture. Not even worth comparing to someone of the stature of Imran.
    Don't forget Miandad's position in all this. The reason Pakistan was so potent during the Imran-Miandad reign was because both of them refused to back down against any competition or slight. Imran, because of his background, felt comfortable in their company and knew that he belonged. Javed, had the biggest chip on his shoulder, because of his humbler background, and was hell bent on proving that he wasn't going to take a back seat against anyone, be it Imran, England or Australia. Cricket was the greatest equalizer for him.

Between them, we had two fearless and gifted people that were able to take Pakistan cricket to the top.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there was a bit of a bitter relationship b/w Imran and Zaheer. Zaheer always wanted to become captain, and once Imran took over, that was gone.

Zaheer probably thought he should've been made captain after Asif Iqbal, instead Miandad got it somehow.

Did I not charge you, O ye sons of Adam, that ye worship not the devil - Lo! he is your open foe!

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robert View Post
    willis did not go a rebel tour of sa.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdman View Post
    my apologies, you maybe right:

"willis, however, withdrew after he got back and found he had been offered a more beneficial contract by warwickshire."
    http://www.cricinfo.com/magazine/con...ry/434386.html

i do vaguely recall, imran mentioning that willis had some sort of ban after he had played in south africa during the apartheid years. But looking at wiki/google, he certainly doesn't appear on any rebel lists.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget Miandad's position in all this. The reason Pakistan was so potent during the Imran-Miandad reign was because both of them refused to back down against any competition or slight. Imran, because of his background, felt comfortable in their company and knew that he belonged. Javed, had the biggest chip on his shoulder, because of his humbler background, and was hell bent on proving that he wasn't going to take a back seat against anyone, be it Imran, England or Australia. Cricket was the greatest equalizer for him.

Between them, we had two fearless and gifted people that were able to take Pakistan cricket to the top.
    spot on

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    richard was an amazing cricketer, I want to hear him as a commentator isntead of bogus people like rameez

number 1 fan of Hammad Azam the Attock Assassin

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spot on - Miandad represented the new generation of Pakistani cricketers coming from more humble backgrounds who had a point to prove. Together with Imran they were a lethal combination. As I've said a number of times the best captain we ever had was Javed Khan! (not only because it is my name)

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Bahrain
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zaheer has the clout because of his 100 FC centuries, the Asian Bradman label and some of his double centuries and other big test innings. Understandably, with the immature band of 'experts' from Pakistan, we found him at number 3 on the all-time Pakistani XI as well.

I still cannot get over that though!

To me, the best number 3 in the history of Pakistan cricket is Younis Khan - regardless of how ungainly he may be. He is a consistent performer, scoring runs everywhere and in all conditions.

Critically, he averages over 50 in the 4th innings of tests with three hundreds (2 against good South African attacks and 1 against India, in India on a crumbling wicket).

Younis is a courageous player, very unlike Zaheer; the latter would chicken out against the West Indians and did so even against the Kiwis when they promised to get back at him through Hadlee in 1985; Zaheer responded by resigning the captaincy and staying back.

He was

Here are some figures for you:

Player Averages

Overseas Home Overall
    Zaheer 37 58 44
    Younis 46 59 50

Runs per test
    Overseas Home Overall
    Zaheer 62 68 64
    Younis 76 100 83

Averages in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th innings of the match

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
    Zaheer 56 56 27 23
    Younis 50 55 45 52

Note how consistent Younis is regardless of the conditions or the situation.

Zaheer scored a hundred after every 6.5 tests. Younis does so after 3.9.
    4th innings record - Zaheer averages 23 with just one fifty. Younis averages 52 with 3 hundreds.
    Both featured in 22 wins over their career - Zaheer averaged 59 with 5 hundreds.Younis averages 68 with 7.
    Last edited by kamranwasti; 5th October 2010 at 04:47.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    San Francisco, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pot shot about caring for average was unnecessary, I guess whatever it takes to sell a book.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    San Francisco, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamranwasti View Post
    Zaheer has the clout because of his 100 FC centuries, the Asian Bradman label and some of his double centuries and other big test innings. Understandably, with the immature band of 'experts' from Pakistan, we found him at number 3 on the all-time Pakistani XI as well.

I still cannot get over that though!

To me, the best number 3 in the history of Pakistan cricket is Younis Khan - regardless of how ungainly he may be. He is a consistent performer, scoring runs everywhere and in all conditions.

Critically, he averages over 50 in the 4th innings of tests with three hundreds (2 against good South African attacks and 1 against India, in India on a crumbling wicket).

Younis is a courageous player, very unlike Zaheer; the latter would chicken out against the West Indians and did so even against the Kiwis when they promised to get back at him through Hadlee in 1985; Zaheer responded by resigning the captaincy and staying back.

He was

Here are some figures for you:

Player Averages

Overseas Home Overall
    Zaheer 37 58 44
    Younis 46 59 50

Runs per test
    Overseas Home Overall
    Zaheer 62 68 64
    Younis 76 100 83

Averages in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th innings of the match

1st 2nd 3rd 4th
    Zaheer 56 56 27 23
    Younis 50 55 45 52

Note how consistent Younis is regardless of the conditions or the situation.

Zaheer scored a hundred after every 6.5 tests. Younis does so after 3.9.
    4th innings record - Zaheer averages 23 with just one fifty. Younis averages 52 with 3 hundreds.
    Both featured in 22 wins over their career - Zaheer averaged 59 with 5 hundreds.Younis averages 68 with 7.
    YK is definitely better than Zaheer in productivity. But Zaheer was definitely more stylish.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Bahrain
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richards' biggest impact was psychological. If you go through the texts in the 1980s, you'll realise that by far the most valuable player in by far the best team of the world at the time was Richards.

You can imagine the impact of Richards coming in without a helmet and then hammering Lillee and Thomson on Brisbane and Perth - you may say that Gavaskar too played without a helmet but again, he never played the hook shot.

There was a one-day game against Pakistan in Gujranwala in 1985 and the match was effectively lost - enter Richards - two overs, one from Tauseef and one from Qadir went for 23 and 22 and he ended up with 80 from 39 balls in THAT era and the match was over within minutes.

Similarly, his unbelievable 61 to win a test against India - the match was headed for a draw when Andy Roberts produced the last of his great spells and India lost the last 4/5 wickets in a jiffy. West Indians needed some quick scoring and Richards scored 60 of 30 odd balls and the match was over.

Even in 1989, he played an unbelievable innings in the WSC final (last one). His only problem was that he could not motivate himself when there was no challenge. Sehwag may hit 300 on a dead track in a drawn test. Richards wouldn't have done that.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Bahrain
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farooq_pzb View Post
    YK is definitely better than Zaheer in productivity. But Zaheer was definitely more stylish.
    You play guys who deliver, not those who can do a catwalk for five minutes and disappear.

Whom would you want to bat for your life on an erratic track against a strong pace attack on the last day of a test match? Younis or Zaheer? Zaheer would probably chicken out at the very thought of it.

That is why Imran had him dumped while he kept playing Saleem Malik even though he never liked him. Saleem Malik (before he was corrupted) made crucial contributions in two of the landmark wins in Pakistani history - Bangalore (33 in each innings of a very low scoring test) and Leeds (99 when he finally of age as a batsman, scored on a seamer's paradise).

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Younis as rightly stated has been out best number 3 and the best test batsman we have had since Miandad.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richards' biggest impact was psychological. If you go through the texts in the 1980s, you'll realise that by far the most valuable player in by far the best team of the world at the time was Richards.

You can imagine the impact of Richards coming in without a helmet and then hammering Lillee and Thomson on Brisbane and Perth - you may say that Gavaskar too played without a helmet but again, he never played the hook shot.

There was a one-day game against Pakistan in Gujranwala in 1985 and the match was effectively lost - enter Richards - two overs, one from Tauseef and one from Qadir went for 23 and 22 and he ended up with 80 from 39 balls in THAT era and the match was over within minutes.

Similarly, his unbelievable 61 to win a test against India - the match was headed for a draw when Andy Roberts produced the last of his great spells and India lost the last 4/5 wickets in a jiffy. West Indians needed some quick scoring and Richards scored 60 of 30 odd balls and the match was over.

Even in 1989, he played an unbelievable innings in the WSC final (last one). His only problem was that he could not motivate himself when there was no challenge. Sehwag may hit 300 on a dead track in a drawn test. Richards wouldn't have done that.
    you make some very valid points bro but I wouldnt agree Viv's aura & psychological was his biggest weapon...at the end of day he was a destroyer of all bowling and bowlers knew it and we often cowed

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Bahrain
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Im Suds View Post
    you make some very valid points bro but I wouldnt agree Viv's aura & psychological was his biggest weapon...at the end of day he was a destroyer of all bowling and bowlers knew it and we often cowed
    Agreed 100%. What I wanted to say there could be no bigger compliment for him than the fact that he was the standout player by a distance in the best team of the era.

Some of his astonishing assaults, like getting 145 in 159 balls in a test in 1980 (mind you ... 1980), or his 56-ball 100 - meant that the West Indies did have something in them that they never lost a test for almost 4 years and 26 matches.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed 100%. What I wanted to say there could be no bigger compliment for him than the fact that he was the standout player by a distance in the best team of the era.

Some of his astonishing assaults, like getting 145 in 159 balls in a test in 1980 (mind you ... 1980), or his 56-ball 100 - meant that the West Indies did have something in them that they never lost a test for almost 4 years and 26 matches.
    Agreed-the best test team ever for me.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sunny Gavaskar wrote a book "Idols" where he was very complimentary of Imran. It was written in 80's. Here is excerpt from his last line about Imran. "It would be a pity if his shin stress fracture were to stop him from bowling , because Imran running in to bowl is a sight for Gods."

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was lucky enough to see Viv Richards at the back end of his career. When you talk about hard-hitting batsmen Pakistan's Umar Akmal and Shahid Afridi look like minor league sloggers in comparison. The West Indies team of that era was remarkable. I'll never forget Willis dismissing their achievements as a bunch of fast scoring batsmen backed up by a long battery line of fast bowlers. I wonder if he's ever said that to Mike Holding's face in the sky commentary box?
    Last edited by Cpt. Rishwat; 5th October 2010 at 11:59.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Bahrain
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    Sunny Gavaskar wrote a book "Idols" where he was very complimentary of Imran. It was written in 80's. Here is excerpt from his last line about Imran. "It would be a pity if his shin stress fracture were to stop him from bowling , because Imran running in to bowl is a sight for Gods."
    Thankfully, Imran did return and took a further 130 more wickets from 39 tests at 22.63 (he did not bowl at all in 7 of them) besides scoring 1954 runs at 50.10.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spot on - Miandad represented the new generation of Pakistani cricketers coming from more humble backgrounds who had a point to prove. Together with Imran they were a lethal combination. As I've said a number of times the best captain we ever had was Javed Khan! (not only because it is my name)
    Just out of curiosity what's up with your username and avatar pic?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Bahrain
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was lucky enough to see Viv Richards at the back end of his career. When you talk about hard-hitting batsmen Pakistan's Umar Akmal and Shahid Afridi look like minor league sloggers in comparison. The West Indies team of that era was remarkable. I'll never forget Willis dismissing their achievements as a bunch of fast scoring batsmen backed up by a long battery line of fast bowlers. I wonder if he's ever said that to Mike Holding's face in the sky commentary box?
    Richards gave Willis the beating of his life in 1980. In one of the tests, he went for 100 in 14 overs. That's test match cricket in 1980.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khalil1986 View Post
    Just out of curiosity what's up with your username and avatar pic?
    Username goes years back to school - it was one of the teacher's favourite put downs. Never said it to me and he was bit of a geek - but remained stuck in the memory. Gosh it would be 25 years now.

As for the pic - well I stole it from dear old Monsee bhai. Nothing to it really but Sarfraz has always been bit of a joke to us in our family. A few of my family members both in England and Pakistan knew Imran and Majid pretty well. Anyway Sarfarz was just a standing joke hence coined the name Sarfraz Bakwaas.

Somehow have never got round to changing it.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    ATL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Username goes years back to school - it was one of the teacher's favourite put downs. Never said it to me and he was bit of a geek - but remained stuck in the memory. Gosh it would be 25 years now.

As for the pic - well I stole it from dear old Monsee bhai. Nothing to it really but Sarfraz has always been bit of a joke to us in our family. A few of my family members both in England and Pakistan knew Imran and Majid pretty well. Anyway Sarfarz was just a standing joke hence coined the name Sarfraz Bakwaas.

I've said this to you before also, but I love your avatar picture of Sarfaraz. It always cracks me up.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't compare Richards to Akmal or Afridi even in the hard -hitting stakes. That is a joke.
    For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of seeing him I would say he had the sheer power of Klusener at his peak, mixed with the technique of Tendulkar with the brooding menance of Marvin Haggler or Smokin Joe Frasier.

He was a seriously scary person to bowl at. Stood there 22 yards away, chewing gum, bare-headed and all rippling biceps and pectorals. It was the fast bowlers, not him, who feared for their lives in case he smashed the ball back towards them.

Desmond Haynes may have had the biggest forearms I have ever seen on a cricketer but he was jovial and all smiles. Viv rarely smiled on the field. I'm sure Willis and Pringle amongst others still have nightmares about him after this mauling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj2PCictIL8
    Last edited by Amoeba; 5th October 2010 at 12:54.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said this to you before also, but I love your avatar picture of Sarfaraz. It always cracks me up.
    Ah thanks - have to thank Monsee bhai for that................
    Last edited by Amoeba; 5th October 2010 at 12:55.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LOL believe it or not I thought that was some Indian Actor in the pic, that explains it.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't compare Richards to Akmal or Afridi even in the hard -hitting stakes. That is a joke.
    For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure of seeing him I would say he had the sheer power of Klusener at his peak, mixed with the technique of Tendulkar with the brooding menance of Marvin Haggler or Smokin Joe Frasier.

He was a seriously scary person to bowl at. Stood there 22 yards away, chewing gum, bare-headed and all rippling biceps and pectorals. It was the fast bowlers, not him, who feared for their lives in case he smashed the ball back towards them.

Desmond Haynes may have had the biggest forearms I have ever seen on a cricketer but he was jovial and all smiles. Viv rarely smiled on the field. I'm sure Willis and Pringle amongst others still have nightmares about him after this mauling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj2PCictIL8
    That is one helluva description and right on the money. Love the boxer references. It wasn't just the power, which he had more than most, but the timing and beauty of his stroke play. He was almost a classic batsman with Terminator strength. I can't think of anyone comparable, Sachin is better as a run machine, but for sheer dominance I haven't seen anyone of his like.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one helluva description and right on the money. Love the boxer references. It wasn't just the power, which he had more than most, but the timing and beauty of his stroke play. He was almost a classic batsman with Terminator strength. I can't think of anyone comparable, Sachin is better as a run machine, but for sheer dominance I haven't seen anyone of his like.
    Very true! I was just watching clips of his 189 again I had forgotten he dominated the scoreboard so much. The next highest score was 26! It wasn't just a masterclass in hitting but also in shepherding the tail. Really can't think of a modern batsman who could do that now. Really puts the knock into context, & remember all this at a time when 5 an over was a very good scoring rate in England especially.

Simply amazing.
    Last edited by Amoeba; 5th October 2010 at 13:13.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gavaskar was just awesome