Instagram

Sohail Speaks Ponty''s Blog Fountain's Pen

User Tag List

Thread: Why the Shahzaib v Fawad comparisons?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the Shahzaib v Fawad comparisons?

There are quite a few posters here who support Shahzaib Hasan to a rather unbelievable extent (the guy is a natural, they say and will be one of the best in the upcoming decade), but seem to have a lot of hatred for Fawad Alam (can't get it off the square, they chant, taking one or two scratchy innings out of a decent career to support their point). I personally have nothing against either of these guys, but here's my perspective.

Shahzaib is not hugely talented by a long shot. He's a hefty hitter who can win the occasional L/O match. That said, he isn't the mindless, talentless swatter his critics make him out to be either. He's played a couple of innings that show that, while not a world-beater yet, he has potential to be a genuinely attacking opener.

That said, I believe Fawad is a far, far better prospect. Before King Leonidos jumps me for saying this let me say why: Fawad may not win matches on his own, but he can anchor a successful run much as other unusual, gritty players like Younus and Miandad (I know, big boots and unfair comparison, but I mean he should try to look up to these types of players) do. With abundant strokeplayers in our side a second-fiddle is necessary.

Technique-wise, Fawad has a rather ugly-looking stance where he shuffles around far too much to try and nudge the ball into gaps. He used to be a pretty decent striker as well early on, but recently has seemed uncomfortable going for big hits. Shahzaib is in many ways the opposite. Where Fawad shuffles unnecessarily, Shahzaib has zilch footwork and prefers to stand and drub from the crease.

Results wise, both have had their ups and downs. So far Fawad has started out a decent career, with several hard-knuckled back-to-the-wall fifties when they've been needed. What has impressed me is that even though he was in terrible form against RSA he still managed to score useful runs at a passable clip (59 off 69, in fact, is very brisk). That says quite a bit about his mental strength. And considering he's our only Test centurion away from home, he deserves a run. Shahzaib started out decently in Twenty20s, but had a slump in England. If he continues to pillage domestic runs as he has though, he also deserves a spot.

Domestic results wise: This is a rare similarity between these two. Shahzaib has mauled runs aplenty in domestic one-days. Fawad has accumulated plenty of domestic runs as well for years.

The bottom line is, at the moment both deserve their place. Cricket is a diverse game that allows for different types of batsmen, and at the moment both Fawad and Shahzaib have started off well

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny !

after the initial mock, you've compared the two in the remaining posts.

Hammad Azam - Remember the name !

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mohalla
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    S. Hasan is good enough for domestic matches. He was played in lots of opportunities.
    His average after 10 2020 internationals is pathetic 11.6 ,

His technique is not good. Against real fast bowlers he will always struggle.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Wardown Park - Luton
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people who put competition between the two saying that, Shahzaib should be in the team instead of Fawad are complete idiots Im sorry to say.

As mentioned before, ones a hard hitting opener making use of power play, ones a middle order accumulator. Both can be accomodated in good time, if they continue scoring runs when giving the chance.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farazaidi View Post
    Funny !

HAHAHHA!!!! Lol.....that was funny

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1137moiz View Post
    There are quite a few posters here who support Shahzaib Hasan to a rather unbelievable extent (the guy is a natural, they say and will be one of the best in the upcoming decade), but seem to have a lot of hatred for Fawad Alam (can't get it off the square, they chant, taking one or two scratchy innings out of a decent career to support their point). I personally have nothing against either of these guys, but here's my perspective.

Shahzaib is not hugely talented by a long shot. He's a hefty hitter who can win the occasional L/O match. That said, he isn't the mindless, talentless swatter his critics make him out to be either. He's played a couple of innings that show that, while not a world-beater yet, he has potential to be a genuinely attacking opener.

That said, I believe Fawad is a far, far better prospect. Before King Leonidos jumps me for saying this let me say why: Fawad may not win matches on his own, but he can anchor a successful run much as other unusual, gritty players like Younus and Miandad (I know, big boots and unfair comparison, but I mean he should try to look up to these types of players) do. With abundant strokeplayers in our side a second-fiddle is necessary.

Technique-wise, Fawad has a rather ugly-looking stance where he shuffles around far too much to try and nudge the ball into gaps. He used to be a pretty decent striker as well early on, but recently has seemed uncomfortable going for big hits. Shahzaib is in many ways the opposite. Where Fawad shuffles unnecessarily, Shahzaib has zilch footwork and prefers to stand and drub from the crease.

Results wise, both have had their ups and downs. So far Fawad has started out a decent career, with several hard-knuckled back-to-the-wall fifties when they've been needed. What has impressed me is that even though he was in terrible form against RSA he still managed to score useful runs at a passable clip (59 off 69, in fact, is very brisk). That says quite a bit about his mental strength. And considering he's our only Test centurion away from home, he deserves a run. Shahzaib started out decently in Twenty20s, but had a slump in England. If he continues to pillage domestic runs as he has though, he also deserves a spot.

Domestic results wise: This is a rare similarity between these two. Shahzaib has mauled runs aplenty in domestic one-days. Fawad has accumulated plenty of domestic runs as well for years.
    The bottom line is, at the moment both deserve their place. Cricket is a diverse game that allows for different types of batsmen, and at the moment both Fawad and Shahzaib have started off well
    In first class, there's a 22 run difference between their respective averages (34.53 and 56.87), not similar by any stretch of the imagination. Pretty close in list A though, 41.7(Shahzaib) and 43.1(Fawad).

Can you look around this world and believe in the goodness of the god who rules it?

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Delhi,India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with so many hitter .....Fawad is more suitable then Shahzaib in the playing XI

People fight for Religion
    People die for Religion
    But
    People do not follow the Religion

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would highly appreciate if both of them are kept out of thick of things atleast till the WC.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no comparison between the two! Coz every thing is different between the two!

Different position, different style, different role and different technique! etc etc!

#1 FAN AND DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF SHAHZAIB HASSAN

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanzeel View Post
    In first class, there's a 22 run difference between their respective averages (34.53 and 56.87), not similar by any stretch of the imagination. Pretty close in list A though, 41.7(Shahzaib) and 43.1(Fawad).
    That's because shahzaib is more suited to LOIs and fawad for tests!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassam Nasarullah View Post
    I would highly appreciate if both of them are kept out of thick of things atleast till the WC.
    Your replacement for them??

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both of them don't belong in our team.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    Sharjah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhussain33 View Post
    the people who put competition between the two saying that, shahzaib should be in the team instead of fawad are complete idiots im sorry to say.

as mentioned before, ones a hard hitting opener making use of power play, ones a middle order accumulator. Both can be accomodated in good time, if they continue scoring runs when giving the chance.

You only get one shot.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnykhan View Post
    Ahmed Shahzed for Shahzaib. Or maybe Kamran if he comes back. Or even Imran Nazir.

For Fawad. Shafiq? Not sure you can fit both in, and U Akmal with Younis returning.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnykhan View Post
    Malik (if available) for Fawad Alam.

Regarding Shahzaib, I personally would want Kami to open with Hafeez along with Azhar Ali playing in the middle order.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Ahmed Shahzed for Shahzaib. Or maybe Kamran if he comes back. Or even Imran Nazir.

For Fawad. Shafiq? Not sure you can fit both in, and U Akmal with Younis returning.
    Yes that is a good option as well.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Delhi,India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kami should always be the 1st option for opening in LO cricket ...he is a regular contributor

People fight for Religion
    People die for Religion
    But
    People do not follow the Religion

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahmed still not tested yet! So he isn't a repalcement yet! And imran got more thanl enough oppurtunities he deserve! so he is out of contention!

Kami is accepted!

and fawad has out performed shafiq and umar akmal in this year?? so how can u replace him with the guyss who have performed less than him??

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassam Nasarullah View Post
    Malik (if available) for Fawad Alam.

Regarding Shahzaib, I personally would want Kami to open with Hafeez along with Azhar Ali playing in the middle order.
    Malik is outdone by fawad many times! And on the recent performances of fawad in ODIs, fawad should stay ahead of malik, shafiq, umar akmal!

There are many contenders in the middle order! Azhar ali is the least acceptable!

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Milwaukee
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool, a thread to the most overrated cricketers on this forum

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by farazaidi View Post
    Funny !

oops, I mean why the "Shahzaib-Fawad exclusive comparisons"

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vous a le point, mate, but both have performed decently enough

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    Oslo, Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't really compare them, one plays an anchor role to the inning, and one plays his shots and attacks the opposition

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing Fawad and Shahzaib? lol it's like comparing Laptop with blonde.

Shahzaib vs Afridi would be a better comparison.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassan0987 View Post
    Can't really compare them, one plays an anchor role to the inning, and one plays his shots and attacks the opposition
    all other countries anchors on the planet know how to hit when it is required but one spciall anchor

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shahzaib played aggressively against NZ bowlers because we had to win with a better NRR.He played a very good inning against Sri lanka and showed solid temperament which resulted in Pakistan's WC win over lankans,don't underestimate him

Fawad is no way near Shahzaib.Shahzaib is a better LOI cricketer and Fawad is more suited for test cricket but somehow he manages to find his way to the ODIs and T20 team.

Shahzaib is 10000000000x times better player than him

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Nadeem View Post
    Shahzaib played aggressively against NZ bowlers because we had to win with a better NRR.He played a very good inning against Sri lanka and showed solid temperament which resulted in Pakistan's WC win over lankans,don't underestimate him

Fawad is no way near Shahzaib.Shahzaib is a better LOI cricketer and Fawad is more suited for test cricket but somehow he manages to find his way to the ODIs and T20 team.

Shahzaib is 10000000000x times better player than him
    well technically Fawad's Twenty20 average and S/R are better than Hasan's

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1137moiz View Post
    well technically Fawad's Twenty20 average and S/R are better than Hasan's
    I have explained in great details in that thread,why it is so