Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Imran Khan- WC 92 speech

For those who may not remember, he started by extending his commiserations to the English team and then he says “Winning this world cup I am sure will go a long way in helping complete one of my obsessions which is to build a cancer hospital” and then he concluded by saying “I am proud that in the twilight of my career I finally managed to win a World Cup”

Did not once mention his team-mates...especially two outstanding performances from Inzi/Wasim.

How selfish.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yaar, im 21 years old, not emotional at all, but when Wasim Akram said that he was expecting a few thousand fans at Lahore airport on their arrival back and instead there was 80 000........ I actually had tears in my eyes.

Imagine those days and those poor but loyal fans! so sad that it's come to a halt in pakistan.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's sad that that speech was how Imran ended his brilliant career.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Venue
    Connecticut USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He helped us win our only ODI world cup. let it go.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Lala Land- The Prime Minister.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or maybe he did not show off, if inzy had not spoken out about how imran boosted his confidence, then i dont know what people would have been saying about imran....

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran defined pakistan cricket. He made the team a force to reckon with.

So I dont care what he said in that speech. He will always be the greatest player the country has ever produced

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sure that someone was going to make a thread on this.
    But was the speech that we saw on Skysports comlete?

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imran has since said he regretted the speech.

I know a lot of the players were really upset about it. I think Atherton wrote a piece once where he mentioned that Wasim was not too pleased.

At that point there was a divide emerging between Imran and the team, due to Imran's fund raising commitments. I think Imran sensed this and decided to retire rather than lead the team one last time in England. Imran wasn't happy with his personal performance at the World Cup and wanted to finish on a high performance wise in England.

But time heal all wounds and I think the entire team bar one or two hold no animosity towards Imran and talk of him fondly and with admiration. Imran's era looks even better now, considering what followed.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add that it was a fortunate coincidence that Imran had the platform to himself while making that speech, rather than having a presenter there.

I felt it gave greater gravity to what he was saying with regards to the Hospital.

Debut
    May 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran had just said on Skysports right now that his only motivation to play cricket beyond the Australia tour of 1990 was to raise funds for the hospital

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't care if afridi says that winning the world cup will help him pay for his hair transplant when he loses his hair if it means we win the world cup.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Lala Land- The Prime Minister.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
    i don't care if afridi says that winning the world cup will help him pay for his hair transplant when he loses his hair if it means we win the world cup.
    you must be intelligible enough to not think that way

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    For those who may not remember, he started by extending his commiserations to the English team and then he says “Winning this world cup I am sure will go a long way in helping complete one of my obsessions which is to build a cancer hospital” and then he concluded by saying “I am proud that in the twilight of my career I finally managed to win a World Cup”
    Quote Originally Posted by *sallu* View Post
    Imran had just said on Skysports right now that his only motivation to play cricket beyond the Australia tour of 1990 was to raise funds for the hospital
    Did not once mention his team-mates...especially two outstanding performances from Inzi/Wasim.
    How selfish.
    Let's shoot him for being honest...that he did not do it for his personal glory.... but for the people (sick people) of Pakistan and to save 1000s for lives!

Has anybody ever criticized a few other captains who praised their team mates during their victory speech but never built a hospital like Imran's? Why people never criticized Younis Khan for not announcing a new hospital during his T20 World Cup victory speech.... just because he was curtious enough to praise his team mates? What is bigger..... praising your team mates or..... announcing a charity hospital in your victory speech?

It is such a shame on people's part that instead of praising the part he played in winning the WC and building a fabulous hospital (to save 1000s for live)...... they criticize him for not saying a sentence which he may have forgotten to say because of being emotional and awed by the moment.

Imagine yourself that you just won a World Cup, you are giving a speech in front of 80,000 fans and millions of viewer on TV... would be able to think straight?

I bet the only thing he was thing about was.... his mother who died of cancer and building a cancer hospital for the sick people of Pakistan. When you have such huge dreams in mind, saying a sentence or two about team performance becomes very minor thing.
    Last edited by W63L35; 30th January 2011 at 23:55.

Debut
    May 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, I'm not criticizing or praising him, just bringing something I just heard to everyones attention.

No need to get so emotional please

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan's speech was about his version of what he felt. He may have in the joy of it all thought about his personal feelings in the moment ahead of everything else.

Who said Wasim was ******? I recall Wasim saying many times that he was so excited he didn't even think about what was going on or who was talking. The boys were not even listening to the speech ... I recall him saying something to that context.

Sure Imran in hindsight should have thanked or credited the team's play, but again in the emotions of it all, he may have just not thought about that.
    Last edited by PakWC'11Champs; 30th January 2011 at 23:12.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    LOL, I'm not criticizing or praising him, just bringing something I just heard to everyones attention.

I know you were not criticizing Imran. I added your post as a reference that Imran did infact say that the hospital was his only motivation... and I am glad that it was!

As far as being emotional is concerned..... yes, I so become a little emotional about Imran's hospital because I know two people whose lives were saved at Imran's hospital!
    Last edited by W63L35; 30th January 2011 at 23:15.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was not pointing his post at you only...so stop taking his comments personal; he was pointing his remarks at everyone in general especially all those Pakistanis who have/still criticize Imran for that speech!

Brilliant post 'W63L35'...totally agreed on all your points

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1665 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

How selfish.
    Harsh.

I'm sure he apologised afterwards and said that he was very emotional after the victory.

But as you say, it caused a lot of resentment from some of the same players that were cheering his speech at the MCG.

Debut
    Jan 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think the speech in itself created tensions - they were alreday there in the background. Some players were aggrieved that money at official functions during the World Cup was going solely to Imran's hospital cause and none into the players pockets. This came to a head after the World Cup, with players drugged up by their success now wielding their inflated egos.

The materialism of the players disappointed Imran, and he stepped down as captain instead of leading them in England.

During the England tour, Imran held a party but Javed Miandad, Salim Malik and Ramiz Raja were pointedly not invited.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    California
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comment

How selfish.

I use to have a lot of respect for Imran. In 92, i was very young and did not realize the weight of Imran's words. However, i recently saw the whole speech again, and it was very disappointing to watch Imran talk about 'me', 'my hospital', 'my career'. Did not mention once about the country or team mates.

Maybe his mindset was not all there at that point, but it does reflects certain narcissistic view of Imran's personality.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Harsh.

I'm sure he apologised afterwards and said that he was very emotional after the victory.

But as you say, it caused a lot of resentment from some of the same players that were cheering his speech at the MCG.
    The resentment came from a few greedy players who attended the "victory" functions in Pakistan and saw some of the "prize/award/reward" money announced in those functions going to the hospital.... which they (those greedy players) wanted in their own pocket.

I some cases, Imran would announce his share of the award/reward/prize money to go to the hospital fund .... which would kind of "force" players to announce their share to the fund also... because if they did not, then they would look bad. So... the players started going to those functions without Imran Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Mirpur A.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    is anyone foorgetting about the millions of people getting free treatments?? so tell me which is more important?

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he just forgot, didn't do on purpose.....though I would have loved it if he praised right there

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Matrix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imran your are a perfect human being and we all look up to u so how dare you!

Unthankful nation...... No wonder we r in such a pathetic condition.

"Vinay runs up to bowl like he is going to deliver a 170 mph scorcher"

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizwan25 View Post

Another point somebody raised was........ that since "we" do not and can not good deeds therefore we criticize other poeple (who can do and actually do good deeds)..... so that "we" don't look as bad as we think.... we do!

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Honestly speaking, its a serious non issue. If people are seriously making it a big issue almost 20 years after it occurred than people seriously need to get a life. I will prefer Imran's imperfections any-day because he did win a world cup for Pakistan as opposed to the W's who took Pakistan down badly in 2003 WC due to their selfish immature infighting.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Birmingham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "In the darkest hours when things weren't going right, I said to my team, I want you to fight like cornered tigers like you've got nowhere to go."

I remember that from when I was 7: a truly good childhood memory. I loved Imran Khan's speech when I was 7- I always remember it :-)

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W63L35 View Post
    The resentment came from a few greedy players who attended the "victory" functions in Pakistan and saw some of the "prize/award/reward" money announced in those functions going to the hospital.... which they (those greedy players) wanted in their own pocket.

You think that's wrong?

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imran was a selfish person

we have seen that reflects also as politician .

Love for all hatred for none.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pathetic thread trying to taint the career of Pakistan's greatest cricketer. But then again, in_cutter........

Debut
    Oct 2003
    Venue
    Neptune
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a pretty pathetic speech. No doubt about it.

Remembering to extend his commiserations to England was the only thing he did right. Failed to thank the fans, failed to thank his team mates and failed to pay tribute to the country as a whole. Instead went on about what an amazing person he is by building a cancer hospital and saying how proud he was that HE (not anyone else) had won the world cup.

But when you have had a career like Imran Khan did....you can get away with certain things. And certain things can be forgiven. The world cup speech is not as important as winning the world cup nor as important as any of the other amazing things King Khan did in his career and life.

So give him a break. He was feeling emotional and couldn't say everything he would have wanted to say. I forgive him. I had forgotten too....until this thread reminded me.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBowler View Post
    You think that's wrong?
    I depends.... how greedy those players were.

If I was one of them.... I would tell myself than I would be part of the World Cup winning team if it was not for Imran Khan... and if I was going to get Rs. 500 for from these fucntions with no hospital in the picture.... then I'd be more than happy with Rs. 250.

All the players should have sat down with Imran and discussed the issue maturely... and decided on a % to be given to the hospital...... based on either indidvidual players or collective money. They did not (or could not) do that. Their fault, in my opinion.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizwan25 View Post

Don't say that, this thread was created by in_cutter and he's British, not Pakistani. Trying to taint Imran's career, maybe because Pakistan beat him in the final.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hash View Post
    It was a pretty pathetic speech. No doubt about it.

Remembering to extend his commiserations to England was the only thing he did right. Failed to thank the fans, failed to thank his team mates and failed to pay tribute to the country as a whole.
    I guess you don't believe in "action speak louder than words"? He fails to say a few words....... that counts... but builds the best hospital in 60 years history of the county to save 1000s of lives...which does not count at all?

You may want to talk to a person or two who got a life saving treatment at his hospital.

Instead went on about what an amazing person he is by building a cancer hospital and saying how proud he was that HE (not anyone else) had won the world cup.
    He had the biggest audiance of his life listening to him at that moment. He had to advetise his hospital. If he did not, collecting the funds may have been much harder. No sane person would have let that oppertunity go to waste.

But when you have had a career like Imran Khan did....you can get away with certain things. And certain things can be forgiven. The world cup speech is not as important as winning the world cup nor as important as any of the other amazing things King Khan did in his career and life.
    Then what's big deal about him not saying that he did not say?

So give him a break. He was feeling emotional and couldn't say everything he would have wanted to say. I forgive him. I had forgotten too....until this thread reminded me.
    Chalo .... I am sure, he would be glad to know that ..... aur sakoon say maar tu sakay ga!
    Last edited by W63L35; 31st January 2011 at 03:29.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I depends.... how greedy those players were.

If I was one of them.... I would tell myself than I would be part of the World Cup winning team if it was not for Imran Khan... and if I was going to get Rs. 500 for from these fucntions with no hospital in the picture.... then I'd be more than happy with Rs. 250.

All the players should have sat down with Imran and discussed the issue maturely... and decided on a % to be given to the hospital...... based on either indidvidual players or collective money. They did not (or could not) do that. Their fault, in my opinion.

Giving money to the hospital is a noble cause, but players want their earnings as well. I don't see it as greedy, if they did want their earnings, what's wrong with that? And what are you saying was their fault, not being happy at Imran's decision and wanting their money?

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you don't believe in "action speak louder than words"? He fails to say a few words....... that counts... but builds the best hospital in 60 years history of the county to save 1000s of lives...which does not count at all?

You may want to talk to a person or two who got a life saving treatment at his hospital.

He had the biggest audiance of his life listening to him at that moment. He had to advetise his hospital. If he did not, collecting the funds may have been much harder. No sane person would have let that oppertunity go to waste.

Chalo .... I am sure, he would be glad to know that ..... aur sakoon say maar tu sakay ga!

Good post. Stupid thread.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Giving money to the hospital is a noble cause, but players want their earnings as well. I don't see it as greedy, if they did want their earnings, what's wrong with that? And what are you saying was their fault, not being happy at Imran's decision and wanting their money?
    No. Imran never forced anybody to donate their money. I only read about the incidents..... where the winning team would be invited. When the organizers annouced prize money (lets say Rs one lakh) for each player. Imran would right away annouce (in the same function) that all of his share is going the hospital fund. On hearinf that, players would then would be feel obligated to announce some money for the hospital.... which they did not like.

Imran did the right thing to motivate the audiance to donate ..... but players did not have to annouce anything. They could have kept everything to themseleves but ....then players would have looked bad. So...it was catch-22 situation for the players. If they donated, they would "lose money" but if they did not.... "they would look bad". But from what I remember reading, Imran never forced or expected them to donate .... it is just Imran donating his 100% share made players uncomfortable.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Imran never forced anybody to donate their money. I only read about the incidents..... where the winning team would be invited. When the organizers annouced prize money (lets say Rs one lakh) for each player. Imran would right away annouce (in the same function) that all of his share is going the hospital fund. On hearinf that, players would then would be feel obligated to announce some money for the hospital.... which they did not like.

Imran did the right thing to motivate the audiance to donate ..... but players did not have to annouce anything. They could have kept everything to themseleves but ....then players would have looked bad. So...it was catch-22 situation for the players. If they donated, they would "lose money" but if they did not.... "they would look bad". But from what I remember reading, Imran never forced or expected them to donate .... it is just Imran donating his 100% share made players uncomfortable.

I didn't know of this. I thought that Imran declared all the money to go to the hospital.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His speech was brought up as an issue at that time, but realize that he was driven to no end to his cause and his mind just wasn't into cricket anymore.

His teammates got the control and leadership of the team right after that speech (and, of course, squandered the opportunity eventually), so I think it all worked out in the end.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I didn't know of this. I thought that Imran declared all the money to go to the hospital.
    Yes, Imran did declare that all of his own prize money will go to the hospital fund..... but it would have been extremely stupid, rude or ??? on his part to do that same for other player's money.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Aussieland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion to OP

Dont you have anything else to discuss rather an even that happend 20 years ago and have absolutely NO significance NOW,

Dont waste your own and people time here on this forum

i will end with two words

"Garbage Thread"
    Last edited by PerfectionPersonified; 31st January 2011 at 04:36.

Yesterday is the past.Tomorrow is the future.Today is a gift.That's why it's called the "present"

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    697 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lol at this thread.

It was the greatest speech ever.

He mentioned something far more important than cricket.

"“I am proud that in the twilight of my career I finally managed to win a World Cup”

He had the right to say this. Imran changed Pakistan cricket for the better and after all the hard work he put in he could have said more about himself and it wouldn't have been a problem.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na Shukray log

Gives you your first (and very likely the only one for a long time) WC, makes a cancer hospital, makes a university, the only honest politician left in Pakistan and the haters still pick on minor topics

Marro Jahalat Mei

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let's shoot him for being honest...that he did not do it for his personal glory.... but for the people (sick people) of Pakistan and to save 1000s for lives!

Has anybody ever criticized a few other captains who praised their team mates during their victory speech but never built a hospital like Imran's? Why people never criticized Younis Khan for not announcing a new hospital during his T20 World Cup victory speech.... just because he was curtious enough to praise his team mates? What is bigger..... praising your team mates or..... announcing a charity hospital in your victory speech?

It is such a shame on people's part that instead of praising the part he played in winning the WC and building a fabulous hospital (to save 1000s for live)...... they criticize him for not saying a sentence which he may have forgotten to say because of being emotional and awed by the moment.

Imagine yourself that you just won a World Cup, you are giving a speech in front of 80,000 fans and millions of viewer on TV... would be able to think straight?

I bet the only thing he was thing about was.... his mother who died of cancer and building a cancer hospital for the sick people of Pakistan. When you have such huge dreams in mind, saying a sentence or two about team performance becomes very minor thing.

Wrong...as this was not his own achievement...he got the chance to hold the WC cause of his team mates...it was his duty to acknowledge their support...
    it was not fundraising event!!!.

anyway, he regretted so it's over...

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It's quite absurd if his teammates felt angered by his speech.

The main point was to win the world cup and he guided us to it. The stuff that followed it (the infamous speech) was just the aftermath of what was just a huge euphoric moment for him. Under the spotlight, many individuals would have delivered a speech that was straight from their heart. Imran Khan had his mother's death from cancer and his impending hospital on mind and he poured it out in that speech. Nothing wrong with that.

Imran Khan has on numerous occasions later on in life praised the likes of Akram and co. for their invaluable performances.

Personally, I would never be offended by something of that sort - the world cup was won and that's all I would care about.

Plus, who wants the typical speech anyway?! Every skipper rambles on about the same stuff. The usual mandatory praising of the opponents, praising one's own team and then praising the supporters. I am glad he said something different. I suppose the attention his speech garnered was a positive result for Imran, he accumulated more money for his cause then he would have if the speech was forgotten.

Anyway, I am glad the hospital has become such a success. Good on him and his speech.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't say that, this thread was created by in_cutter and he's British, not Pakistani. Trying to taint Imran's career, maybe because Pakistan beat him in the final.
    Lol as if my views alone will taint his career. Why would I want to do that??

Watching today's documentary on Sky Sports..again it was I, I..me, me & me...selfish...fact. Im not denying the fact he has done a remarkable job with his hospital.

And yes I am British...what has this got to do with anything. I don't post here to argue with anyone, never do. It's just my personal opinion. If you don't like it..tough.

Debut
    May 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Imran made a mistake in his speech, he himself admits it so I don't know how any one else can doubt it

No one is doubting that he should not have mentioned his hospital, but yes, there should have been a mention of his team mates, the fans and the country.

But, is it really a big deal? We won the world cup, is the speech really all that important?

He regrets it, we know it, so just move on people !!!

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol as if my views alone will taint his career. Why would I want to do that??

Watching today's documentary on Sky Sports..again it was I, I..me, me & me...selfish...fact. Im not denying the fact he has done a remarkable job with his hospital.

And yes I am British...what has this got to do with anything. I don't posr here to argue with anyone, never do. It's just my personal opinion. If you don't like it..tough.

If you don't like his speech..tough. So stop whining just because he beat your team in the World Cup final.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If you don't like his speech..tough. So stop whining just because he beat your team in the World Cup final.
    My team?! Enlighten me

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    FastBowler..I dont want to get into arguments, so leave it yeah. You are twisting things by typing 'my team' etc etc

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How selfish.

This lil piece of bovine excrement of an argument was raised in 92 right after the world cup and well answered by Imran. I mean, even they players NEVER complained about.

Wake up and smell the coffee .sir.. u r what?... like 19 years late ??

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anwaar View Post
    Wrong...as this was not his own achievement...he got the chance to hold the WC cause of his team mates...it was his duty to acknowledge their support...
    If you want to disagree with me because of Malik then that is fine..... but otherwise..........Mr. Double Standard Anwaar...... you have one standard for Malik and a totally different standards for others. If Malik is the captain, and wins...... it is everything and anything to do with Malik.... but if Imran Khan wins the cup.... then nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Knowing your standards, why would you approve Imran's noble cause.... you never disapproved Malik's selection via PPP (sifarish)?

anyway, he regretted so it's over...
    I am sure you are 100% sure!
    Last edited by W63L35; 31st January 2011 at 08:44.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaalakawaa View Post
    Na Shukray log

Marro Jahalat Mei
    Sad part is.... they are already "dead" (morally) otherwise why would anybody not appreciate such a noble and great cause?

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I am sure that was his life long wish, for you to forgive him. Now he can finally achieve true greatness.

Some really idiotic comments on this thread

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really has to be one of the more pathetic threads I have seen here.

And believe you me, there is STRONG competition for that!

This issue was raised by some jealous and pathetic individuals 20 years ago. Imran acknowledged his slight oversight, and everyone sensible soon forgot about it. As oversights go, it was a VERY slight one.

He did the right thing by talking of the cancer hospital at that speech. Shame on those who believe he shouldn't have done so. Do these people have no morality? I pray to Allah they never have to suffer where one of their near and dear ones has a debilitating and life-threatening illness and they are unable to afford the treatment for it. Can't they even imagine how life-sapping and draining that is - to watch someone you love die, knowing that you could save them with Allah's will only if you had some more cash?

Forget morality. Do these people have no hearts?

Anyway, back to the speech. As has been pointed out clearly by W63 bhai above, mentioning the cancer hospital was a MUST.

Other than that, yes, a small sentence mentioning the players would have been a 'nice to have'. But no big deal. As I said, a slight oversight. Imran has said repeatedly that he was so emotional and so fraught at that moment, he simply didn't think about this.

It would have been presumptuous and arrogant to have a "pre-prepared" speech, so it was all very much off the cuff - such public speaking after games wasn't a norm in cricket in those days, in fact, it was a novelty and hardly ever happened! Hence, captains weren't drilled in it at all - it was not expected to happen. These days, it happens at toss and at the end, ie two times every game! So captains are all drilled in saying their standard politically correct PR-ish bakwaas - in those days, no captain would expect to do it.

And anyway, ask Imran's team mates that day how they feel about him. To a man, they all praise his role to high heavens. Wasim, Inzi, Ramiz, even Saleem Malik (!) cannot stop praising him - a certain left-handed rat being the only obvious exception.

Just watch Inzi's interview the other day, how Imran gave him confidence on the flight when he had none, how Imran praised him to high heavens and got him in the right mindset for that amazing SF knock. Listen to Ramiz's comments, how the players were in awe of Imran, how they would want to impress him and not annoy him. Read his Cornered Tigers speech again. How he motivated Inzi in the SF, how he got Wasim to focus on wickets and on attack alone, not on 'economy rates', on defence and on no-balls, despite what all the so-called experts were saying. Learn how Imran led from the front - the team was nervous batting on those Australian pitches, too much reliance being placed on Miandad and Malik was too scared - so he simply promoted himself up the order, and decided to lead by his example and lead from the front.

All of that is how you lead a team and truly motivate it - not by making inane and meaningless, well-rehearsed and oft-repeated 'ghissay pattay' statements about "Boys did well. Was a team effort" bla bla, that everyone ignores and no one pays much attention to.
    Last edited by ShehryarK; 31st January 2011 at 11:50.

... hor gunnay choopoo ...

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    ^^^

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am sure nearly all the players playing for Pakistan in the 1992 world cup ended up getting decent amount of money post the world cup and are leading a good enough life. So Imran not mentioning them in his speech hasn't had much of an impact on their life.

OTOH, Imran 'selfishly' talking about his dream project and the cancer hospital in that speech ensuredthat donations flowed easily for the noble cause which otherwise may not have happened. If the mention of the cancer hospital in Imran's speech is selfish and that selfishness has resulted in saving the lives of thousadns who couldn't have been able to afford the costly treatments, let there be more such 'selfish' speeches.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mentioning a cancer hospital or the last sentence isnt a bad thing. He is entitled to do both of that.

But cricket is a team game and he should have also mentioned the contribution of other players in the victory.

Kapil my hero, Sachin my god.
    BLEED BLUE!!

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShehryarK View Post

This issue was raised by some jealous and pathetic individuals 20 years ago. Imran acknowledged his slight oversight, and everyone sensible soon forgot about it. As oversights go, it was a VERY slight one.

He did the right thing by talking of the cancer hospital at that speech. Shame on those who believe he shouldn't have done so. Do these people have no morality? I pray to Allah they never have to suffer where one of their near and dear ones has a debilitating and life-threatening illness and they are unable to afford the treatment for it. Can't they even imagine how life-sapping and draining that is - to watch someone you love die, knowing that you could save them with Allah's will only if you had some more cash?

Anyway, back to the speech. As has been pointed out clearly by W63 bhai above, mentioning the cancer hospital was a MUST.

Other than that, yes, a small sentence mentioning the players would have been a 'nice to have'. But no big deal. As I said, a slight oversight. Imran has said repeatedly that he was so emotional and so fraught at that moment, he simply didn't think about this.

It would have been presumptuous and arrogant to have a "pre-prepared" speech, so it was all very much off the cuff - such public speaking after games wasn't a norm in cricket in those days, in fact, it was a novelty and hardly ever happened! Hence, captains weren't drilled in it at all - it was not expected to happen. These days, it happens at toss and at the end, ie two times every game! So captains are all drilled in saying their standard politically correct PR-ish bakwaas - in those days, no captain would expect to do it.

And anyway, ask Imran's team mates that day how they feel about him. To a man, they all praise his role to high heavens. Wasim, Inzi, Ramiz, even Saleem Malik (!) cannot stop praising him - a certain left-handed rat being the only obvious exception.

Just watch Inzi's interview the other day, how Imran gave him confidence on the flight when he had none, how Imran praised him to high heavens and got him in the right mindset for that amazing SF knock. Listen to Ramiz's comments, how the players were in awe of Imran, how they would want to impress him and not annoy him. Read his Cornered Tigers speech again. How he motivated Inzi in the SF, how he got Wasim to focus on wickets and on attack alone, not on 'economy rates', on defence and on no-balls, despite what all the so-called experts were saying. Learn how Imran led from the front - the team was nervous batting on those Australian pitches, too much reliance being placed on Miandad and Malik was too scared - so he simply promoted himself up the order, and decided to lead by his example and lead from the front.

All of that is how you lead a team and truly motivate it - not by making inane and meaningless, well-rehearsed and oft-repeated 'ghissay pattay' statements about "Boys did well. Was a team effort" bla bla, that everyone ignores and no one pays much attention to.
    Brilliant post! POTW!
    Reading it was as good as an Afridi innings!

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I've noticed some posters take criticism towards Imran very badly on this forum. Nobody is perfect, that includes Imran.

I wish I did not create this thread now.. I have been owned/blasted. FastBowler even had shots at my British nationality, which has nothing to do with the thread.

Anyway, sorry for creating this thread..I have already sent a PM to Saj to delete it.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed some posters take criticism towards Imran very badly on this forum. Nobody is perfect, that includes Imran.

I wish I did not create this thread now.. I have been owned/blasted. FastBowler even had shots at my British nationality, which has nothing to do with the thread.

Anyway, sorry for creating this thread..I have already sent a PM to Saj to delete it.

I got special mention

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Bangkok
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    649 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imran Khan knows that the speech was not his best by any means.

A quick word about the support and substituting the word 'I' with 'We' would have made it a much better speech.

It was an emotional time, and I am sure preparing for his speech was the last thing on his mind. Personally i think emotions took over and if he was given the chance to go back and change it, he would.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I gotta say it - epic post is epic.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    May 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imran recognizes it and regrets it, we won the world cup and his captaincy was a major reason for it, does a 10 second speech really warrant 65 replies

Move on people, I'm sure everyone has better things to do than discussing a 20 year old 10 second speech.

Imran Khan could be a rubbish personality for all I care, its not his job to win our hearts, its his job to win the world cup and he did it.
    Anything else is a bonus

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top post...

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget his speech. He won u a World Cup and left a generation of champion players to build upon ***. And that 10 second speech really matters. How about he loses that final and gives a politically correct statement like 'boys tried their best, but it was not our day'. I'm sure everyone will be happy.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    In the real World!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what he said was fine
    the only thing he shoud have added was that first of all I thank ALLAH

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Mirpur A.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Watch this and think about it what was more important?

speech or hospital

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    Naziristan + Junaidistan + Younustan + Gulistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you want him to mention 2 players and not mention the other 8-9 ? lol...think logically...if he mntioned 2 playrs and excluded the rest than what happens?

it was a brilliant speech...mentioning cancer hospital is more credible than mentioning wasim akram or inzamam ul haq
    Last edited by Prince_Pathan; 31st January 2011 at 20:29.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tahir_dj View Post
    Watch this and think about it what was more important?

speech or hospital

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ShehryarK You become emotional too easy

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    Naziristan + Junaidistan + Younustan + Gulistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

top post from the best mod on pakpassion...

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Pathan View Post
    top post from the best mod on pakpassion...

sharam nai aati hai khula khula aise makhan maarte huwe?

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's because you tried an EXTREMELY LAME effort to show that u found a 'diamond in the dust' kinda point after a careful analysis of an event that happened 20 years ago. I am almost sure you knew that this was discussed and the matter was already dealt with long time ago, u just thought that u would score some points and get acknowledgement from some kids here who were born after 1992 and would take this "intellectual Analysis" of yours as a jaw dropping news to defame Imran Khan..... I mean, unless you yourself were born after 1992 ?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Read last two paragraphs.

From Sriram Veeraragavan

www.thewicket.com

25th March 1992.The moon was up that night and far down below on the
    planet earth lakhs of moons were up and dancing; Caught in a flag or a
    T shirt, the crescent were being waved by thousands of Pakistani men,
    women and Children. Pakistan had just won the World Cup; a proud &
    happy Imran Khan was holding aloft the trophy and all heaven had
    broken loose. It was just early evening in Pakistan; Ramadan and
    iftari; yet thousands of moons were dancing everywhere; it was a
    culmination of one man's ambition and a dream of millions.

The ambition was that of Imran Khan, son of a strong and proud woman.
    Once when Imran at the age of 13 had bribed his way out of trouble
    with a police man, his mother confronted him as soon as she heard
    about it. She told him that bribing was a loss of his dignity and that
    he should have gone to goal instead. When Imran tried to defend
    himself by stating the obvious - that the other boys do the same- his
    mo! ther had just this brief thing to say - 'You are a Pathan'. The
    lips had uttered those words and her eyes had sparkled with pride and
    honesty.

Then on the young boy has lived his life with pride, and that March
    night was one of the highest point in a proud man's life. So how did
    he lead the team to lift the world cup?

It all started in his mind. As he was groping around for funds for his
    cancer hospital he realized that a World Cup triumph will pave way for
    his real dream- the cancer hospital. As he put it in his autobiography
    - 'I realized that for my hospital project the most important factor
    would be winning the world cup'

It was as simple as that, he had to win the cup.

So the mind, the heart was all keyed up for the event but his body
    nearly gave up on him. Just two days before the event during a
    practice session, he felt a pain in his left shoulder and soon he
    could not even move it. It was his most painful in! jury ever,
    physically and psychological as well. 'Without saying anything, I just
    left the nets, dropped the bat and walked back to the Melbourne
    Hilton. I locked myself in the room and told the operator to not to
    put through any more calls and just sat there in complete agony for
    the next few hours. It was one of those times when everything seemed
    hopeless.'

So it was in this hopeless state of mind that Imran fell to sleep 2
    nights before the world cup. Imagine the despair, the thought of the
    hospital dream shattered and the resulting agony; it would have been
    too much for lesser mortals. But Khan was no lesser mortal, he woke up
    next morning in even more pain but his dark moods had vanished, the
    despair had gone out of the window, the strong mind had taken over. He
    went to a surgeon and the next day, the morning of the match against
    West Indies, took a cortisone injection. But he felt that he was not
    still fit to play and also reckoned that Pakistan needed t! o win only
    5 of their 8 matches and they will be through to the semifinals.

But there were to be other hurdles thrown in front of him; it was just
    not his body. On the morning of the match, as soon as Imran announced
    that he won't be playing, Salim Malik opened the Pandora's Box and let
    out his ego flying at the others in the team. Reason?He wanted to be
    the Captain. He was the vice captain in the pre world cup tour but was
    replaced with Miandad by the selectors for the world cup. There was
    anger, hurt, bruised ego, a fight with the manager and as a result lot
    of confusion in the dressing room. Just imagine, a World Ccup match is
    about to be played and so much chaos!

I can now easily make that last sentence and put an exclamation mark
    for dramatic effects but what was Imran thinking at that time?

'What puzzled me was Malik's attitude. He was not concerned about how
    important this match was to the whole nation, which was in the mid! st
    of the world cup fever; all he was worried about was being captain. I
    am afraid I have always had very little respect for such
    individualistic players'

Hmmm, You can't argue with that, can you? In fact the question is why
    then did Imran not drop Malik? He answers that himself -'I would most
    definitely have dropped him from the team had we had a strong batting
    line up'

Hence it was no surprise that Pakistan were crushed by the West
    Indies; they won by 10 wickets. Imran watched all this from beyond the
    boundary. Next stop was Hobart, 27th feb and the match was against
    Zimbabwe. Imran had counted this as one of the five wins that he needs
    and felt that he had to take control of the team and hence play. He
    didn't bowl nor bat and saw Pakistan winning it comfortably by 53 run
    margin. But by playing, he aggravated his injury by bowling in the
    nets. That meant he was out of the next crucial match against England
    on March 1st 1992 at Adelaide oval.

More crisis on the match day as Miandad felt pain in his back and
    wanted to field in the outfield. Fielding closing in was causing him
    more pain and hence the desire to field in the outfield. He also felt
    that it would be better if Malik took over the captaincy. So Imran
    went and asked Salim but Malik declined it! He didn't want it now
    after being turned down initially. More drama and chaos in the camp.
    Whatever confidence that Zimbabwe win gave them had disappeared into
    that thick fog of bruised egos and utter confusion.

Finally it was Miandad who led the team onto the field of disaster;
    Pakistan batted first and immediately crumbled to 42 for the loss of 5
    wickets but the tail enders took the score to 74 runs; there were 10
    extras in that. Then Pakistan went in for lunch and prayed (?); they
    must have as clouds opened out their blessings and rain poured. A
    revised target of 64 runs was set for England in 16 overs and they
    were on 24 for 1 in 8! overs when rain gods had enough of this
    nonsense and intervened in to abandon the play. Points were shared and
    how crucial it was to prove later!

Next encounter was against India. There were no questions in Imran'
    mind, he had to play. Pain killers went in his body and he went out on
    to the field. Indian batsmen struggled; consider this, the
    swashbuckling batsman Srikkanth scored only 4 runs after being in
    there for 41 minutes for 40 balls. A Young Sachin (54 runs) played a
    very matured innings in the company of Kapil (35 runs) and took the
    score to a respectable 216 runs. Pakistan through Aamir sohail (62)
    looked well set on the victory path, reaching 105 for the loss of just
    two wickets. Then Sachin struck as Sohail swung his bat at the ball
    trying to hit past midwicket, but hit straight but low to Srikkanth at
    short-midwicket. He stooped low and picked up the catch. Malik and
    Miandad took the score to 127 when Prabhakar lured Malik into a loose
    drive outsi! de off, the edge going to More. 'Careless shot' was how
    Imran describes that shot in his book. That Malik wicket was the
    beginning of the fall of Pakistan. 3 runs later Imran was run out and
    Pakistan soon collapsed to 173 all out.

South Africa was their next opponent (8th March at Brisbane) and more
    disaster as Miandad didn't feel fit enough to play in that match.
    South Africans batted first and looked cruising as they reached 98 for
    the loss of one wicket. Then Imran struck and took successive wickets
    reducing SA to 110 for 3. Then 2 more wickets fell and SA were at 127
    for 5. But Cronje (47) and McMillan (33) helped along with some poor
    fielding, took the score ahead and SA ended up with 211 runs.

The wicket was a batting friendly one and Pakistan went along steadily
    to 70 for 2 when rain intervened. The target was revised; they had to
    score 194 runs off 36 overs. Also the batting friendly had become a
    rain affected. But Inzamam showed glimpse! of his talent and the storm
    that he was to unleash later as he batted really well for his 48 runs
    off 44 balls. Then Rhodes announced himself to the cricketing world
    and found an entry into million posters and conversations worldwide as
    he flew in the air to run Inzamam out. The score was then 135 and
    Pakistan could only take it to 173.

Now it looked that the Pakistan' cup of dreams was broken. From 23rd
    Feb to 8th Mar the players had tasted a solitary victory against
    Zimbabwe and rain had brought them another point. (and they had lost
    their practice matches against South Africa, Srilanka and even to
    Tasmania) Also they had lost to India, their arch rivals, the public
    back home was screaming in anger, the players must have been screaming
    in agony caused by disappointment. Of course when disappointment and
    agony are around, bickering and blaming others also creep in quickly.

They did; Malik went round telling to anybody who cared to listen that
    ! he should be batting at No3. Imran wrote later that it was Malik who
    had earlier wanted to bat at no 5 in these bouncy Australian tracks.
    More trouble in the form of a disgruntled Rameez Raja lay ahead for
    the captain. Imran writes in his autobiography 'Rameez Raja who had
    not played against India due to a shoulder injury went round telling
    people that he was really fit but I had not asked him. In fact in
    every team meeting all the players were asked to talk about their
    fitness and the last time I had spoken to him he had clearly stated
    that he had still little strength in his left shoulder. But this is
    typical of a team when it is doing badly.'

A losing team has always this unstable edge to it especially when
    there is so much pressure on these cricketers. They knew that the
    public back home would be getting very angry and that fear coupled
    with their own disappointment at failing would take them to the very
    edge. Men who are mentally strong can cope up with i! t, others will
    flutter, some would start throwing the blame at others, and as a
    result tempers get frayed, nerves weaken and chaos results. That was
    the state of the Pakistani camp post that defeat against South Africa.
    It was in disarray, it needed a jolt from somewhere; something
    miraculous had to happen, a 'karishma'.

What was Imran Khan thinking? Read his thoughts, 'The pressure on me
    was multiplied because I realized that if we lost the next match and
    were out of the World Cup I would not be able to do any fundraising
    for another six months, maybe a year. I was also aware that our
    newspapers had begun to write that the reason for the team' failure
    was that I was not concentrating on cricket but on giving publicity to
    my hospital. As a result our fund-raising campaign, which was in
    process in Pakistan, had completely collapsed'.

They were to face Australia in the next match and if they lost they
    would have to face a hostile public back home. Imr! an Khan knew he
    had to win; it was as simple as that. He had got into the world cup
    because he wanted to raise funds for his hospital, as he himself put
    it- 'to cash in on the euphoria of a possible world cup win'

The team had now huddled together for a meeting. Tensed and under
    severe pressure, they must have been a real disappointed lot. Not only
    their dream of a win looked gone but now they would have to confront
    the nightmares of public back home. That meeting room must not have
    been a place to be envied.

Enter Imran Khan.

He had decided to attack at their worst fears and nightmares and make
    them realize that they were not so bad at all. How? ' I tried to drive
    home to them that the worst that could happen was we could lose and
    they need not worry because the blame would come to me'. Also more pep
    talks on the lines of not being afraid to lose go out their fighting
    like tigers, there is no shame if we go down fighting etc followed.
    Im! ran also told them that he had every faith that they would still
    win.

Imran had had this gut feel all along that he would be lifting the
    cup. He had never felt this in the previous world cups. So this faith
    that he would win helped him and that feeling filtered down to the
    other players. Imran even quotes from Koran in his book and may be he
    invoked the same in the dressing room, 'For a Moslem, hopelessness is
    a sin'.

So now egged on by this faith of their skipper, the team
    subconsciously now felt that miracle could occur. Didn't the rain come
    and earn them a point against England? Also they were encouraged by
    his body language. Imran had this to say on captaincy later'Often it
    is not the sort of things a captain says in his team meetings that
    make a difference but what a captain believes and the way he carries
    himself. The players look more towards the body language rather than
    the rhetoric in speeches to the team'.

It of course ! depends on the culture of a society as well; the cues
    that a particular set of people look to for say deriving confidence
    can vary. Faith can move some as it did those Pakistani players.

So a under pressure Imran but urged on by his gut feel and powered by
    his ambition, he walked out to toss confidently. To his side was under
    pressure Border. Imran wrote 'His face bore the expression of a man
    who was worried about losing and did not necessarily believe that he
    could win. I felt that was a crucial difference between our two
    attitudes'.

Those attitudes were reflected in the results as well as Pakistan won
    by 48 runs. Sohail had top scored with 76 and Miandad (46) and Rameez
    (36) helped the team to post 220 runs. Aaqib Javed and Mushtaq Ahmad
    took three wickets each and Imran (dismissed Marsh & Steve Waugh) and
    Akram took two wickets each and shot out Australia for 172 runs. Salim
    Malik had gone in No 3 and was bowled for a duck. It paved way f! or
    Imran to go at No 3 in the later matches.

'The win against Australia was the turning point. I was able to tell
    the players that it was my belief that we were destined to win the
    World Cup'.

The next game was against Sri Lanka, a team already out of the world
    cup, so that should mean Imran must have been more relaxed, right?
    Wrong. Imran was really tensed, the reason- '...the Sri Lankans were
    already out of the World Cup and hence they had nothing to lose.
    Moreover after their game against Australia, the team did not look
    fired enough against Sri Lanka' In the end Pakistan won by 4 wickets
    and they moved to New Zealand for their final league match against the
    home team in Christchurch.

Even now it was not a straight equation; West Indies had to lose to
    Australia. So was Imran tense? - 'I was fairly relaxed. . West Indies
    would be under immense pressure as we were against Sri Lanka and the
    West Indies are known not to play well u! nder pressure.'

A over confident New Zealand team went down to the guile of the man of
    the match Mushtaq who suffocated them with figures of 18 runs in 10
    overs, taking 2 wickets and Akram claimed 4 victims and the Kiwis were
    bundled out for 166 runs. Rameez hit a fine century and took Pakistan
    home. As Imran had expected the Windies crumbled under pressure and
    their crumbling were watched with delight not only by fans of the team
    but by the team itself. They had post their match immediately headed
    for the hotel and watched the Aus-Win match in the television. And
    when Steve Waugh trapped Benjamin in front of the wicket, celebrations
    erupted inside the hotel. It was almost as if they had won the Cup!

Now to that semifinal against New Zealand. But before Imran could take
    the field there was to be more drama off field. On the morning of 21st
    March 1992, the morning of the match, Inzamam complained of food
    poisoning & giddiness and wanted to withdraw f! rom the match! Imran
    was adamant that he played and allowed Inzamam to bat lower down the
    order and finally persuaded him to play.

Meanwhile Imran was himself suffering from the severe shoulder pain,
    so much so that he could not pick up a glass to drink. More pain
    killers than the normal dose was taken and he walked in to the arena.
    Martin Crowe electing to bat led from the front with a brilliant
    innings of 91 off just 83 balls when he got run out. Rutherford had
    also scored a valuable half century. Pakistan was set a target of 263
    for a victory.

Now the onus was on the batsman to deliver. Imran and the team felt
    that since the New Zealand did not have a great bowling attack, if
    they could preserve wickets earlier on when the ball was moving
    around, they can go for the shots later. But who is to bell the cat?
    Who is to play the anchor?

Imran was not in great batting form and hence asked whether Inzamam
    would like to go in at no3.! Inzamam still had not recovered
    completely and felt more comfortable going down the order. So Imran
    walked in at the fall of Sohail and the score at 30. Imran was
    hopelessly out of any hitting form and was only able to stay out there
    and occupy the crease. The wickets were not falling but neither was
    the asking rate. Miandad joined Imran and he was trying to get
    acclimatized to the pitch, meanwhile the asking rate and the heart
    beat of millions of Pakistanis were going up.

Imran tried to hit out but couldn't, and finally got out scoring 44
    runs off 93 balls. Malik fell for just one run. The asking rate was
    over 8 runs an over and it looked now that the gut feel of Imran was
    all wrong. Surely an ailing and a weak Inzamam could not pull off any
    miracle and what can Miandad do alone out there?

Even Imran felt that for the first time during the tournament they
    were not going to make it. But miracles do happen and Inzamam under
    the guidance of that ! great Pakistani batsman Miandad enacted his own
    script out there in the middle. What a time to reveal one's genius,
    talent. A cricketer is not going to get a greater arena than the World
    Cup to declare himself and Inzamam went on to do exactly that as he
    went on to score 60 thrilling runs of just 37 balls with the help of 7
    fours and 1 six. His talent was on display for 48 minutes and every
    nano second of it was thrilling. The old pro, Miandad guiding, urging
    the young talent home, it was sensational stuff. Inzamam got run out
    but Miandad went on to score 57 not out. Pakistan had reached the
    final!

To add further fuel to the fire of faith engulfing Imran and his men,
    rain came down just half an hour after the completion of the game. 'I
    knew that God was on our side when it began to rain. Had the rain come
    an hour earlier it would have been goodbye to tour World Cup chances'.

Imran wanted one more favor from his god; he wanted the toss to come
    do! wn in his favor. The rain and the history of world cup where
    chasers have found it difficult (Sri Lanka was to rewrite this history
    in the next edition) meant Imran was convinced that half the battle
    would be won if the toss is won. Of course toss was his and he
    promptly decided to bat on the 25th march, 1992.

None of the Pakistani players could sleep on the night before the
    final, the excitement was too much for them, Sleeping pills were
    administered and only then did they sleep. So Imran did not have to
    create further excitement and tension in their mind trying to motivate
    them. He simply asked them to enjoy themselves as this could be their
    only final; it was Imran's solitary World Cup final in a career
    spanning 21 years.

One thing remained to be decided. Who is going to bat at no3? Imran
    had a miserable time in the semifinal almost ruining Pakistan's
    chances but then nobody else had fared any better in that vital
    position. Imran took the ext! remely bold move of putting himself at
    no3. It was a brave move from a proud man. Imran wrote later 'How
    could I ask anyone else to go in then if I was not prepared to do so
    myself?' The pressure must have been tremendous, he had just failed
    with the bat in the previous game and as he himself put it 'I knew
    that I would have been lynched had we lost the semi final because I
    would have been blamed for slow batting'.

And the captain courageous was required very quickly to go in on that
    evening. Sohail got out when the score was at 20 and Imran walked in.
    Four runs later, Rameez fell and Miandad walked in. The ball was
    moving around, pringle being the chief tormentor. Imran and Miandad
    knew that one more wicket and they could all be gone as the rest of
    the batsmen did not have the necessary skill or experience to tackle
    the moving ball. So they decided to stay put out there. Miandad
    survived a close lbw call off Pringle and by the end of the 15th over
    they were a! t 32/2. Soon Imran got a reprieve; Gooch dropped him when
    he was at 20. Captain and his deputy now started to accelerate and
    runs started to come by at faster rate. Both of them reached their
    half centuries and when the score was at 163, Miandad (58 off 98
    balls) fell trying to reverse sweep. He had called a runner to run for
    him when he was 53 and 5 runs later he was out.

'Javed got out at the right time as I knew he was tired and had
    started to become a liability' - Imran. Imran soon departed for a
    valuable 72 off 110 balls. Then Inzamam(42 off 35 balls, 4 fours) and
    Akram (33 off 19 balls, 4 fours) took over and exploded into the
    English attack. 51 runs came in the last six overs, Pakistan finished
    with 249.

England was reduced to 69 for 4 as Mushtaq took two quick wickets.
    Akram had earlier removed the potentially dangerous Botham for just
    one run. A partnership between Lamb and Fairbrother took the score to
    141 when Akram struck twice in an! over. That over of course part of
    folk lore all around the cricketing world. Pace, Swing and guile had
    removed Lamb and a bewildered Lewis. They were balls of fire, balls
    out of a dream, two screaming swingers and they were gone. The rest
    was inevitable; however Imran was to have one final moment of glory on
    field.

He bowled that last wicket taking delivery in that World Cup, he ran
    in for the last time in his international career and jumped into that
    final wonderful leap of his, a leap to stardom, to fame, to his dreams
    and what can Richard Illingworth do in front of all that? He was mere
    pawn, a part of a great ambition, of a dream of millions and he played
    his part. He sent the ball into the sky and Rameez accepted with glee
    as the ball and the Cup came down Pakistan' ways.

Pakistan had won the World Cup; Imran had achieved his ambition. He
    received with joy that crystal bowl, and lifted it to the skies. It
    was his cup of joy, Pakistan' cup ! of dreams and in that moment of
    ecstasy he made one slip. In his victory speech there were no words
    for his team, it was all about his dream, the hospital. Imran was to
    write later 'I know in an emotional state at the end of the final, I
    didn't thank the team for their tremendous performances but it was not
    because I didn't appreciate them. For a start I felt that the team and
    me were one and the same thing and thanking the team would have
    meant thanking myself'

Just one final image from that day and this is the image of the day
    and in fact, for the tournament for me. As Imran was walking back off
    the field, somebody tapped him on his back. Imran turned back to find
    his old colleague Javed Miandad. Four retinas widened in joy, two
    hearts were on fire; In the euphoria of a triumph, all old ill
    feelings (if any) had disappeared and they both hugged each other.
    Then Miandad draped a Pakistan flag around their shoulders and the two
    great cricketers walked off the ! field.

On that flag, the crescent moon was dancing.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FusedBulb View Post
    It's because you tried an EXTREMELY LAME effort to show that u found a 'diamond in the dust' kinda point after a careful analysis of an event that happened 20 years ago. I am almost sure you knew that this was discussed and the matter was already dealt with long time ago, u just thought that u would score some points and get acknowledgement from some kids here who were born after 1992 and would take this "intellectual Analysis" of yours as a jaw dropping news to defame Imran Khan..... I mean, unless you yourself were born after 1992 ?
    Nope, well before 1992. As I said, it was not an attempt to defame or score points. Just my opinion. Im allowed to express my views.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @W65L36........Thats way too long mate

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emclub View Post
    @W65L36........Thats way too long mate
    Nobody twisted your arm to read the whole thing........... and I did say in the post to read just the last two paragraphs. Didn't I?

Debut
    Oct 2003
    Venue
    Neptune
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you don't believe in "action speak louder than words"? He fails to say a few words....... that counts... but builds the best hospital in 60 years history of the county to save 1000s of lives...which does not count at all
    If you continue reading the rest of my post...I go on to state, and I quote:

'But when you have had a career like Imran Khan did....you can get away with certain things. And certain things can be forgiven. The world cup speech is not as important as winning the world cup nor as important as any of the other amazing things King Khan did in his career and life.'

So where did you get the idea that, and I quote 'He fails to say a few words....... that counts... but builds the best hospital in 60 years history of the county to save 1000s of lives...which does not count at all'

I clearly stated in the latter part of my, actually rather short, post that it does count and counts to an extent that his mistake in the speech could be forgiven. Do you read threads properly before replying to them?

You don't know whether I have or I haven't, so please don't jump to conclusions.

Sure. Some would argue that there is always a time and a place for everything. There is nothing in this world which doesn't have a line which shouldn't be crossed, even when raising money for a noble cause as his.

A victory for his nation in a world sporting event isn't crossing that line but that doesn't mean it was the appropriate occassion and I doubt it made much difference to him collecting funds.

Did I say it was a big deal? Have you even read my post? Have you understood my post?

Please read my post.

I have said it was a terrible speech, which it was...but I have said that in the bigger scheme of things it doesn't matter! And its not something I ever think about....as I said, and I quote...

'I had forgotten too....until this thread reminded me.'

...I wasn't ofcourse being serious about 'forgiving' him. What I meant was that good things will always overshadow the not so good things and therefore the not so good things are not important and not something we should hold against him.

It was nice talking to you W63. Brought back memories of the old days and the debates about your favourite ICL!

Let's bring our friendly loving debates back rana