Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much Urdu do you speak at home?

I assume that most of the posters here are overwhelmingly Pakistanis. To them i ask,

How much proportions of your daily conversations with fellow Pakistanis are held in Urdu?

Personally, i have found myself (for unexplained reasons) increasingly speaking English in my everyday life since a couple of years now, ever since i joined college. So much so that even my Pakistani friends don't talk much Urdu with each other. We speak mostly English when we hang out, with some interspersed Urdu in between to add the desi spin.

Even when i visit back home, i have been observing that my siblings too chose to talk in mostly English with their friends, and even between ourselves we have switched from speaking only Urdu to now gradually speaking Urdish (English + Urdu).

I think i speak uninterrupted Urdu only with my parents now, which i feel is a shame because i grew up speaking only Urdu with everyone and hearing mostly Punjabi (from parents)

English has become a global language and to an extent, it is understandable that we inherit it living in multicultural societies but has that happened at the expense of our native language(s)?

Urdu is a beautiful language and the educated class of Paksitan seem to be getting increasingly distanced from it. I admit i have only started observing this within myself only recently and feel rather .... strange ... about it now in a way that i cannot explain.

Has this transition happened in your life? If you are unmarried, what language will you push for in your home when you have children? Do you care at all? Is it for the benefit of society at large if we all speak one language?

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I speak Punjagi..........and I love it

''Wasim can raise 100 bowlers like me from the dust of his shoes. That's his class!'' Shoaib Akhtar

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it's strange that British Pakistanis speak Punjabi better than English. I grew up listening Punjabi but it just never stuck to my tongue. I can speak but never fluently and i am accused of a sardarish Punjabi when i do try

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate sardarish Punjabi..........Pakistani Punjabi is the best though I lived for 14 years in Pakistan so its natural

''Wasim can raise 100 bowlers like me from the dust of his shoes. That's his class!'' Shoaib Akhtar

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly speak Urdu at home and whenever I meet another Pakistani I prefer speaking in Urdu as well

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Amreeka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I speak urdu alot but only with family members though.

God will take you thru hell, just to take you to heaven..

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Exclusively, even with my parents who usually switch back and forth between Hindko and Pushto amongst themselves.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Military and mullah
    *Redacted*

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't speak a word of Urdu, neither does anyone in my family. Punjabi through and thorough.

Yours Sincerely,
    Gujar
    (GUJAR)

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^Humayun Gujar My favourite film

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emclub View Post
    ^^^^Humayun Gujar My favourite film
    Baraa naa suneyaa ve es Humayun Gujar da. Chal oye Naaji, aj vekhiye te sahi, bataarichoo kira saap kad daa eh.

Yours Sincerely,
    Gujar
    (GUJAR)

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gujar View Post
    Baraa naa suneyaa ve es Humayun Gujar da. Chal oye Naaji, aj vekhiye te sahi, bataarichoo kira saap kad daa eh.
    Naaji Butt kad denda a vadyaan vadyaan de watt

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emclub View Post
    Naaji Butt kad denda a vadyaan vadyaan de watt
    Gujar loon de badle khoon dhendaa ee.

Yours Sincerely,
    Gujar
    (GUJAR)

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tanzeel View Post
    Exclusively, even with my parents who usually switch back and forth between Hindko and Pushto amongst themselves.
    Yar Join the "Hindko group" on FB or at least ask your dad to do so. There are a couple of other hindko groups on FB but they are mostly hazaara hindko.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100% urdu at home, 75% english outside.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Urdu the vast majority of the time, lekin baap se daant Angrezi mey parti hai.

and that's like daily, khana naheen hazzam hota mujhe daantey baghair

I'm trying to improve my truly woeful Punjabi though, but I'm all over the place.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu, with some Totipoti Punjabi

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I speak urdu and my mum responds in punjabi.. In office (where most of my time s spent), its 80/20 Urdu/English.

i OnLy StOp FoR rElOaD!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu with everyone everywhere!!! Except those who dont know it!!!!

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Venue
    Lala Land- COAS
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At home 100% Pashto. At office its English so no Urdu.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None whatsoever
    Mostly Mirpuri Punjabi (with parents) and english(with bro's).

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i speak pothwari(mirpuri) most.

Sehwag and Steyn are the Best.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I only speak Punjabi at home (with English and German occasionally).

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Uk Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From AJK speak mirpuri or whatever form of Punabi when some one like a guest is at home we tend to speak urdu but normally punjabi also we brothers english

“You can’t win unless you learn how to lose.” World cup is Ours (WE WILL , WE WILL WIN IT)

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Venue
    Durban (S.A)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post

I'm trying to improve my truly woeful Punjabi though, but I'm all over the place.
    i feel sorry for you ......but thats the same wid my mum, cant spend a day without scolding me .......but i dont really mind, i know she loves me at the end of the day anyways

as for me, i speak urdu with my parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, but if i argue then its english coz my english is better than my urdu and i can express myself better in it. with my sisters its english usually and at school its english and out of the house its english or afrikaans at times.

but one thing i know for sure is, when i have kids inshallah, i will speak to them in english if their daddy speaks in urdu, and if he is more comfortable with english then i will speak urdu, in this case kids wont be deprived of any language

Aik Tsunami Aik Toufaan! Imran Khan Imran Khan!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket_fever View Post
    but if i argue then its english
    Haha, same but my reason is different.
    If I'm arguing with my parents I do it in english because most of the time I speak so fast they have no clue what I'm saying lol, so I keep out of trouble

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With family and my elders who are Pakistan , it is Urdu but with friends , cousins , coworkers , strangers , it is English.

It is understandable if you have not lived a long time in Pakistan , and you are not fluent in Urdu or whatever your first language is . I get worried though when i talk to the " younger generation " of Pakistan that is fluent in neither Urdu nor English and cannot speak one without the other . Many of them are suffering from the Dhobi ka kutta syndrome .
    Last edited by Looney; 7th February 2011 at 17:37.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket_fever View Post
    i feel sorry for you ......but thats the same wid my mum, cant spend a day without scolding me .......but i dont really mind, i know she loves me at the end of the day anyways

lol indeed, just showing their 'pyaar'

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pashto 24/7

I am as good a batsman as Farhat, Doesn't Ilyas have another daughter?

Debut
    Oct 2005
    Venue
    Manchester United-Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asaan kar wich potohari bolne aan 60% and 40% English.
    At work its obviously English.

Lekin janab Urdu hai meri sab se pasandeeda zuban isliye moqay ki talaash main rehta hoon ke koi Urdu bolne wala mil jaaye toh kuch guft o shuneed Ho sake.

we will not miss a 'never will be' like Malik. Drop Him For Good.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu at home mixed with my Dad's punjabi. English outside.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    oh yeah, and English with my younger brothers.

kya kare, thoray mummy daddy se hain

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait a second, are you all guys Pakistani who have gone abroad?

I speak urdu and I live in Pakistan.
    English @ school only

Debut
    May 2007
    Venue
    NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu with my parents. Actually, they speak Punjabi and I respond in Urdu. With my brothers and cousins I always speak English. For some reason speaking Urdu with them seems a bit odd. Also mix in some Punjabi when we're having fun.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been born and brought up outside Pakistan and have never lived or went to a Pakistani school so at home, it is totally Urdu My parents speak Punjabi among them but with us (kids) they speak in Urdu. However, if I come across a Punjabi lad (Club-mates, friend etc) then it is Punjabi.

So English doesn't hold any room in our house.

I know a family or two and when they came from Karachi they strictly told there kids not to speak in Urdu and only speak in English and in result of that those kids are 'wannabees gorahs' and only speak English whether they are outside or in home.

Personally I'm proud of our native language (Urdu) and don't feel shy or ashamed speaking in it in university or among people who are Non-Asian.

Gotta Love Pakistan!
    Last edited by Cover Drive; 10th February 2011 at 17:05.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alhamdulilah I am proud to say I speak mostly Urdu in the house.

Even at college with my Pakistani dosts I speak Urdu.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeway View Post
    wait a second, are you all guys Pakistani who have gone abroad?

I speak urdu and I live in Pakistan.
    English @ school only
    .Do you go to one of those O levels school ? Even we had to speak English only in my school in Pakistan but we were all too dheet so we talked in Urdu with each other , except for with teachers

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Lala Land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by No_Username; 26th August 2011 at 23:52.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Lala Land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by No_Username; 26th August 2011 at 23:53.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Uk
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol we speak punjabi + urdu +English depends whatw e say I speak Punjabi most of the times brothers urdu and Mum,dad, sister urdu we are from kashmir so not really 100%english but my Dad and Mum teach my little brothers how to read and write URDU everyday, i learnt from my parents and doing A2 Urdu in college (got A* in AS which was quite easy but still its my 3rd language)

The wise does at once what the fool does at last

WC IS OURS

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would never speak urdu at home

punjabi all the way

کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i speak urdu to my parents, its good cos it reduces the risk of me accidently swearing in front of them especially when cricket is on.

speak mix of english and urdu to other family members. speak urdu to my pakistani mates about half the time. one or two mates i always talk in urdu to because they feel more comfortable.

somethings are better said in english or urdu, translating them makes it sound wierd.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punjabi Punjabi Punjabi

I know as a kid when I used to be attempting Hindi, everyone used to laugh (Just like you guys laugh on Pakistan politicians gulabi english), I said screw Hindi, why get laughed at trying to speak someone else's language when I can rather speak my own 'maa' boli. You try to speak their language (Hindi, Urdu, English) and you get laughed at.. pathetic. Now I stay 100% pure desi, sadly Punjabi is not treated with respect on both sides of border. In India Hindi is promoted, Urdu in Pakistan. Why relate language with religion? Consequence's of such behaviour are very dangerous for whole country n civilization itself.
    Last edited by Tera Gawaandi; 5th April 2011 at 07:49.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have lived all my life in Pakistan. I am a Punjabi, was born in Lahore. My parents moved to Karachi when I was 2 in 1985.

At home I speak Punjabi, with friends and colleagues it's Urdu, and sometimes English only when there is need to, mostly in meetings.

So mostly it's Urdu and Punjabi. . Just the way it should be IMHO.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    Punjabi Punjabi Punjabi

I know as a kid when I used to be attempting Hindi, everyone used to laugh (Just like you guys laugh on Pakistan politicians gulabi english), I said screw Hindi, why get laughed at trying to speak someone else's language when I can rather speak my own 'maa' boli. You try to speak their language (Hindi, Urdu, English) and you get laughed at.. pathetic. Now I stay 100% pure desi, sadly Punjabi is not treated with respect on both sides of border. In India Hindi is promoted, Urdu in Pakistan. Why relate language with religion? Consequence's of such behaviour are very dangerous for whole country n civilization itself.
    shabassh

good post that

کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Venue
    Apnay ghar mai - aur kahan ?
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But whats the problem in learning a new language? and shame on those who laugh at your hindi - people need to grow up.

To me URDU is a unifying force for Pakistan - but then Urdu speakers should also make an effort to understand and speak Punjabi or Sindhi or Baluch or Pushto etc

For answers to the Universe, Life and everything : TheSourceNews(TSN)

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    In your mind.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly Urdu at home.Rarely any English.

I converse with my friends in English and Urdu both, with words like "Kya ho-ingzz..Bhook lugging.." thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    But whats the problem in learning a new language? and shame on those who laugh at your hindi - people need to grow up.

To me URDU is a unifying force for Pakistan - but then Urdu speakers should also make an effort to understand and speak Punjabi or Sindhi or Baluch or Pushto etc
    I agree.
    I have Pathan and Punjabi friends and also from different cultures like Irani, Afghan, Somalian etc and its really fun to learn their language.

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always Urdu at home.

Outside home, have to talk in english because that is the only language people speak outside home

I occasionally say "Aray yaar" to my **** friends too when im disappointed with what they have said/done haha.. Teaching them some urdu too such as "whats up!" is "Oupar kya hai"

Fawad Alam's NO.1 FAN!!

Mohommad Hafeez is CLASS!

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    Punjabi Punjabi Punjabi

Khush kitta ee veeru. Assi vi taahnye bus Punjabi hi boldeyaan wai assi Punjabi haan te saanu vi maan aa apni maa boli te.

Yours Sincerely,
    Gujar
    (GUJAR)

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Venue
    Pluto!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kab sudhreingay AZ bhai?!

Agreed!

At times, I do get angry on my own self.. I don't understand Punjabi at all.. When I do come across this language, I say 'screw it..Mujhe toh samajh hi nahi aati' instead of making a real effort to try and learn it.. It is not even a problem for me as my mom is a VERY fluent Punjabi speaker as she spent her childhood in many different cities and towns of Punjab. In fact, almost everyone in my family understands Punjabi, except me and my brother. It is Greek to us.

#JusticeForFawad

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I am a die-hard fan of Punjabi, the language of real men!

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Karachi for life!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the person is Pakistani, its Urdu for me. Just love speaking my language.

even if some burger kids talk to me in English, I usually end up replying in Urdu

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont have a specific preference but if i spend a lot of time talking in urdu or english, i miss talking in the other.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i speak many languages like Punjabi, handkio but i speak urdu at home because i like urdu

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Lala Land- Minister of Foreign Affairs
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I normally speak English at home, only speak mirpuri when I am speaking to my mother or my grandparents. So hardly any urdu, but quite surprisingly I am very fluent in urdu, probably because I learn it in school.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Venue
    Land of Smiles
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speak in English with younger siblings but always use urdu with ammi abu. When in good mood, use Punjabi as well.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahsan88 View Post
    Speak in English with younger siblings but always use urdu with ammi abu. When in good mood, use Punjabi as well.
    So how often are you in a 'good mood'?

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Venue
    Land of Smiles
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    So how often are you in a 'good mood'?
    How often does Monsieur Dhoni lose his cool?

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    How often does Monsieur Dhoni lose his cool?
    Never!

Now your answer........

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Venue
    Land of Smiles
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Well i'm the exact opposite

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I speak Urdu when the person I am talking to also speaks in Urdu. If the person is speaking in English, then I also converse in English.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it is easier to express my anger in English. I can't seem to do it in Urdu lol just not as effective for me

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do , bro . In most schools , Sindhi is taught from grade 3 so you have to learn it .

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Urdu/English with friends

Urdu at home, English at school

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Karachi for life!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question to all Pakistani origin people living in the west:

1) How well can you speak Urdu? Fluently? If yes how often do you speak it?(qs of the thread)

2) Can you read Urdu?

3) If no, can you read the Holy Quran?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to all your questions.

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My urdu is very fluent, and I hope it remains that way. I can read and write urdu too

And obviously I can read the holy quran.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Karachi for life!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive always wondered how Muslims of non Pakistan and non-Arab descent learn to read the Quran. Basically how do they read it if they do not the Arabic script?

Lets say Muslims of Africa or Muslims of Albania, Kazakhstan etc whose native script is not Arabic.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    ^^ Well i'm the exact opposite
    I thought you would say "never".

Quote Originally Posted by PakPrince View Post

1) How well can you speak Urdu? Fluently? If yes how often do you speak it?(qs of the thread)

2) Can you read Urdu?

1) Yes, can speak very fluently, but prefer Punjabi at home but Urdu with guests etc.

2) Yes, but very slowly. Not at all as fluent as in speaking.

3) I first learnt reading the Holy Qur´an and then bit of Urdu.

I hope it helps.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Can you read Urdu?

1) Don't speak it at all.

2) Nope... I try - but fail epically :/

3) Yes.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Karachi for life!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amirfanforlife View Post
    1) Don't speak it at all.

2) Nope... I try - but fail epically :/

3) Yes.
    but if you can read Arabic doesnt tha tmean you should be able to read Urdu too? After all its the same script

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    does anyone speak Sindhi at home?

Debut
    May 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My home language is Urdu but i dont really know much of it now (forgot urdu ever since i learnt english)

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Can you read Urdu?

1) yes i can speak it fluently but in a Pashto accent , it's a common thing if your Pathan!

2)Yes, i can read it, as my mum made me read/write it ever since I was little, i keep practicing though!

3) Ofcourse!!!

You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again-Imran Khan

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njamal574 View Post
    At home 100% Pashto. At office its English so no Urdu.
    same,
    and in school it's english, or if I am having a laugh with my mates, or need to say something secretly, it's Urdu/punjabi as they are punjabis. I speak Urdu in the masjid or to Urdu speaking relatives.

You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again-Imran Khan

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by violet_may View Post
    But it is easier to express my anger in English. I can't seem to do it in Urdu lol just not as effective for me
    imo its impossible to express anger in urdu without using the bc word, at least that what ive found.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Lala Land- Minister of Foreign Affairs
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Can you read Urdu?

1. Very fluently, dont speak much at home though

2. Yes I can read and write in Urdu

3. Qur'aan is a must

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does anyone speak Sindhi at home?
    Only people in Interior Sindh , maybe some in the cities who really take pride in Sindhi culture

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pk-zindabaad View Post
    1) yes i can speak it fluently but in a Pashto accent , it's a common thing if your Pathan!

2)Yes, i can read it, as my mum made me read/write it ever since I was little, i keep practicing though!

3) Ofcourse!!!
    " Afridi baut e achi bowling karti ay " and " baaji tum kidhar jaata ? " waali ?

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Lala Land- The Prime Minister.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look like and sound like a Geek. If I try to speak Urdu anywhere. Punjabi totat are mast

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geek or Greek ?