Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Most Heartbreaking Pakistan Defeat?

Voters
190. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1996 WC Quarterfinal vs India

    18 9.47%
  • 1999 WC Final vs Australia

    31 16.32%
  • 2007 T20 WC Final vs India

    40 21.05%
  • 2007 WC vs Ireland

    33 17.37%
  • 2009-10 Sydney Test vs Australia

    21 11.05%
  • 2010 T20 WC Semifinal vs Australia

    26 13.68%
  • 2003 WC vs India

    10 5.26%
  • Other (pls mention)

    11 5.79%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 161 to 193 of 193
  1. #161
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    8,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Still 2011 WC Semi Final for me


    Pakistan Zindabad

  2. #162
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hando View Post
    It has to be Aus Pak Semi Final T20, You cannot get any closer to victory and just lose it. The reason why I chose this over others is because in Test losses you gradually build up towards the loss and in ODI's during collapsing stages you again build up towards the loss. The T20 one was all of sudden, like a shock , thats why it upset me the most.
    Yes it was a sudden shock heart breaker. But mohali 2011 for me was painful.

  3. #163
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    728
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All right, this thread should not have been started on an already painful defeat day. Reading all the posts is making me sad as hell.

  4. #164
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    15,191
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too many of them including this one

  5. #165
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    5,448
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    To this date the 1996 QF loss to India still hurts me. I was only a little kid back then though but the pain was real guys. I still remember that the TV presenter on PTV was in tears after the game, that is how bad things felt at the time.

    I still cant believe though that Miandad batted at number 6 in that game. Pakistan were chasing 288 and had a dream opening stand of 80 odd between Anwar and Sohail. This was the ideal platform for Miandad to come one down and ensure we dont loose more wickets. I know he was on his last legs but why was he in the team anyway if we did not need him at 3/4.

    I think Miandad would have won the game that day with a little help by big hitting Inzi/Ijaz lower the order. The biggest threat that day was Kumble and Miandad would have seen him out and mastered the best chase in the history of Pakistan cricket!
    Last edited by gazza619; 27th March 2020 at 19:35.

  6. #166
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    5,448
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShehryarK View Post
    Nothing compares to the 1987 WC semi-final loss to Australia.

    First and only time we were the overwhelming favourites for the WC tournament.

    Our performances before the tournie and during the pool games made it clear we were the in-form team and had the best chance. The second-best team in 87 was England and we thrashed them during the WC. The other SF spot was taken by host India, whom we had just thrashed 5-0 in India!

    Hence, we really were top dog. And from there to lose to a team which was almost a minnow in those days. That too in Lahore! And what was going to be Imran's last match.

    And all because of a stupid umpiring error.

    Nothing really compares to that. Imran has said many times that city of Lahore has never been collectively that down, that depressed, that deathly silent, as it was on 4 November 1987 after we lost by 18 runs. No one, I repeat no one in the whole of Pakistan was expecting it - that Pak team could turn impossible losing situations into wins as if by birthright, it simply did not lose the crunch games.
    I almost want to go back in time and relive that moment. It would have amazing being part of a generation where the Pak team was considered so invincible.

  7. #167
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    2,006
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Personally the one that stung the most which is 2012 Asia Cup loss to India. 329/6 on the board and you would think "Pakistan have a strong chance of victory"

    NOPE! Pakistan lost by 6 wickets by 183 from Virat Kohli, before he became the run machine. It hurt cause Pakistan's weakness delivered on the day yet there strength failed. Also would say the 2015 World Cup opening game hurt as well against India. Just pure decimation from India against Pakistanis, great performance nonetheless for India.

  8. #168
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    27,930
    Mentioned
    2363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I'll pick only ODIs here, because I think Test matches can't be won unexpectedly - you have to play well for considerable period to win it (or play poor, to lose it). If it was Test match - NOTHING takes the cake from Misbah's team losing a Test to Bobby Mughabe's ZIM, that too when they were just coming out of self isolation from Test cricket.

    Of the list, I have seen every game and the top will be 1996 QF by some distance. That was a great, great PAK team with most of the players at their peak (barring Javed, who forced his way to PAK team, then play XI, and now these days he criticizes players to undeservingly hang around, irony....), and despite Wasim missing that game (& WY going for a beating), PAK had every opportunity to win that game.

    SO many "wrong" was committed by PAK batsmen that day, that one could feel the PAK players were not in the game. 289 in 49 overs against IND, in IND in 1990s was always going to be tough, but PAK lost the game not from start, rather after 10 overs with 85/0 on board - needing 205 in 39 overs, with two set openers in, dew started to pour down and 10 of India's potent 30 overs gone. That day, IND was one bowler short, which had to be made by part-timers, then Ashish Kapoor was playing his 1st game of WC.

    I remember, Azhar taking at least 5 minutes to start the 11th over, as his three main bowlers including Kumble were taken to the cleaners - then he went for one last over of Srinath, his 6th; and Anwar playing so far majestically for 48 (31), decided to play the least percentage shot of cricket - a lofted on drive from out side off, against a fast bowler bringing ball into him at pace and there was a deep mid-on placed - my hunch is, 99 times out of 100, any batsmen will fail to clear the deep mid-on on that shot, Anwar didn't either. Sohail took charge of the proceedings and he was still winning it - 115/1, after 14'5, that's 175 of 34 with 9 wickets at hand and by now Srinath had bowled 6, Prashad 4'5 and Kumble 4 ... only 15 overs from them were left - then the Sohail thing happened.

    It was still on until, Izaj did exactly what Anwar did - this time to Prashad with almost identical result. ....It was still on - Azhar yet had to bail out 20 overs from Tendulkar, Jadeja & Kapoor and asking was less than 5.3, for a target around 170. Mongia dropped Inzamam, almost a dolly and the big mad was in tremendous form - he got out exactly to the same shot to cent percent precision - C Mongia, B Prashad, 3 balls later - 4 down.

    Now, Azhar started to screw run-rate with his part-timers and that obsolete man Javed started to consume dots, asking went to sky and Salim Malik lost his wicket trying to reduce it. Even then, some mighty blows by Latif gave enough indication that had PAK planned the chase a little methodically, it was a game that should have been won comfortably from 85/0.

    That WC, PAK top 4 were in tremendous form - each one scored plenty when they got the chance. As usual, PAK tank didn't think much, so against both Holland & UAE, after winning toss, on absolute belters, they decided to chase and casually won both games by 9 wickets inside 25 overs, ....... which didn't allow middle order any match practice - next game, against SAF, within few balls the two scorers against Holland, UAE (Saeed & Ijaz) got out, which cost PAK that game, because Amir, Inzi & others had their first outing in that WC, after 10 weeks from last competitive game - Amir did get a pain stacking hundred, but PAK fell short of posting a winning target. BUT, by the time QF started, each of the top 4 had enough time in middle, they were in great form - AND, each of them threw their wicket to fairly harmless balls, when there was absolutely no pressure to go after.

    That, 1996 QF loss will hunt PAK many, many decades because PAK lost to IND in a WC game with undoubtedly superior team - since then, the gap between PAK-IND started to reduce and by 2003 the hand switched, it's getting wider from there on. I am not sure when PAK is going to beat IND in an ICC WC game in future!!!!!!

    The Mohali one wasn't listed here because this thread was opened before that game, but that game wasn't a surprise to me to be honest - IND that time at home, batting first was always overwhelming favorites - Wahab's magic spell brought PAK into game some what, but fielders backed Indian batting that day to cover-up. NEVER in my mind was any doubt about who was going to win it after 1st innings.

    Out side the list, four other games I can recall, which, I will always remember that got away from PAK -

    1. WC SF 1987 - PAK probably could have lost on an odd day and that was one such day. But, bad luck also stuck PAK that day - WK Yousuf got injured and Javed had to keep, not only he made a mess of keeping, but PAK pacers also had to bowl within Javed's limit.... then the batsman in form Salim Malik got run-out comically!!!! Still, it took an umpiring howler for AUS to win it. I don't think Imran was out to Border and had he stayed there, still PAK should have won that game.

    2. This one I watched live, about 50 metres away from players dressing room - the Independence Cup 1998, at Dhaka, against IND and, it took a the then World Record to beat PAK. I have seen most of Saeed's hundreds, but that 140 that day was probably his best - absolute master class, Ijaz also hit a hundred and PAK posted a World Record chasing target for 314. Untimely rain didn't help the cause and the game was played under drizzle and under light - Ganguly and Robin Singh of all people put a match winning partnership to our surprise.

    BUT, that game was lost in dressing room more than on field. Once rain started to fall, there was always a chance of match being washed out or end prematurely and IND had been behind the numbers in such case till like 48th over. PM Hasina was at the ground and it was certain that they would carry the game as long as possible for a direct result. In January, it doesn't rain heavy in Dhaka and it was just a steady drizzle, annoying but it allowed the game to continue. I saw Indian dressing room extremely active - with BCB people, match referee and I am sure they had put enough pressure to carry on the game under that condition - fortunately for them, it got a bit better as well for last hour of the game. And, they were calculating by ball - almost after every over, 12th man will head to the middle to have a chat with the batsmen in middle.

    PAK camp was enjoying the hospitality - Haroon Rashid was the Coach and that guy was smiling, joking all through, when inch by inch IND closed the game. I never found him thinking out - what if? And, their foolishness was exposed in the post-match conference - Haroon Rashid was damn upset that the game continued till end under such circumstances as "they were expecting" Umpires to take action and called the game off after 20 overs!!!!!!! Instead of expecting, that guy should have got informed about it from the Match Referee's office, by the next door!!!!! Had PAK believed that the game will continue till end, I am sure still they would have won that game - in last 10-12 overs, finally in last hour or so, rain got better (reduced) and players at middle realized that it will be a full game, and they did took it to last ball with 7 down.

    3. The ICC KO SF against WIN in 2004 (or 05?) at Southampton - I still don't know how could that PAK side lose to that WIN in a game like SF in UK!!!!!!! And, it was a horrible way to lose - bundled out probably inside 35 overs (of a 50 over game), then got WIN 5/6 down defending a minuscule target.

    4. The ICC KO QF against NZ at Niroby (2000?) - Anwar got a hundred there, but PAK still managed to lose a game to a Kiwi left-arm seemer I can't recall now!!!!! I was watching that game with friends and each one was convinced that, whatever PAK will defend the total, I wasn't sure though - PAK managed to score 200+ on a 275 per track, batting first with their best batsman hitting a hundred!!!

    Interestingly both WIN & NZ went on to win respective tournaments, which suggests had PAK won these two games, at least once they would have won the tournament. Those were quite solid PAK squads with multiple match winners.

  9. #169
    Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    882
    Mentioned
    370 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hussey's phainta to Ajmal, I can never ever forget it

  10. #170
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    127,090
    Mentioned
    2396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Misbah scoop shot ...Oh why why did he do that!?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  11. #171
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,715
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hobart 1999
    Parker. How on earth he didn't hear that nick? Later Langer was asked whether he nicked it or not? And he said he smashed it

  12. #172
    Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    2,736
    Mentioned
    592 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inaugural T20 WC
    Final against India
    You need 6 runs from 4 balls.
    And then you play THAT shot

    I was only 8 years old but boy did I cry that day.

    Mohali 2011 hurt quite a bit as well. Dropped Tendulkar FOUR times. FOUR
    P.S. Hafeez played the worst ramp shot of his life.

  13. #173
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    851
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2007 Ireland

    But hypothetically if I was following cricket at the time 96 loss to India would have hurt more.

  14. #174
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,926
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hobart 99 for me too, went into deep despair for a couple of weeks after that.

  15. #175
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    106
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 WC loss to India was just pathetic. I had high expectations that day from Amir, Babar and Fakhar but none of them could do it. It was simply boys against men. I cried for a long time and didn't even eat the dinner. I was in a state of shock for a few days but still supported Pakistan in the next game.

    Closely followed by that game is the entire 2016 World T20. Seeing my national captain cry in the country of arch rivals and then apologize to the entire nation, broke my heart into pieces.

  16. #176
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    6,887
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    1996 and Mohali. Nothing upsets more.

  17. #177
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    5,036
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2011 WC Semi-Final in Mohali

    Never been as frustrated with a cricketer as I was with Misbah in that match

  18. #178
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    7,621
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohali.

    In recent times: Pakistan vs West-Indies during WC 2019.

  19. #179
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    524
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any defeats against India.It is ok to lose to Zimbabwe but not India.

  20. #180
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    3,574
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2011 vs India
    2007 vs India
    The test vs NZ in which we lost by 4 runs was also immensely painful to me. And so many of those that Pakistan has messed up despite being in the best position to win it.

  21. #181
    Debut
    Apr 2004
    Runs
    5,478
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1999 final . 99 WC was when I really truly started following cricket . It was a dream run for Pakistan too . We felt that our bowling attack could defend any total . Maaaaaan was I crushed when we lost so damn bad .


    you really can't beat the game. If you earn anything, it's minus taxes. If you buy anything it's plus taxes.

  22. #182
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    512
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2011 WC semi final in mohali. Watched it on the big screen with whole mohalla.

  23. #183
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me 2007 t20 final lost to india was the most painful to watch

  24. #184
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    15,185
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1999 World Cup final, players were drinking and partying the night before

  25. #185
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    3,757
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if I were a Pakistani then I would say 2012 Asia cup loss to india. That was devastating. Brutal knock by a young pre prime kohli. That was the weakest form of kohli and he swatted them aside really bad.

  26. #186
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,502
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohali

  27. #187
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    82
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In tests.
    1. Sydney 2010, biggest disappointment, it was the last time in my life when I saw whole test match live ball by ball.
    2. Hobart 1999, beating that all time great Australian side in Australia would have been big achievement.
    In Odis.
    1. Banglore 1996
    2. Mohali 2011
    Pakistan should've won both the matches but in 96 inzi & ijaz were disappointments and in 2011 our legends 'MisYou' choked as usual.
    IMO this should have been the last ODI of younis khan but the guy played even after 2015 WC.
    Some annoying defeats.
    Tests
    1. Faisalabad 1997 vs South Africa
    ODIs
    1. 5th ODI in Lahore 2007.
    At one stage Pakistan need 34 run with 6 wickets and lot of overs in hand. Still lost by 14 runs.
    2. Abu Dhabi 2014 vs Australia
    I think we needed 2 runs in the last over of maxwell and we lost by 1 run.

  28. #188
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    82
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I'll pick only ODIs here, because I think Test matches can't be won unexpectedly - you have to play well for considerable period to win it (or play poor, to lose it). If it was Test match - NOTHING takes the cake from Misbah's team losing a Test to Bobby Mughabe's ZIM, that too when they were just coming out of self isolation from Test cricket.

    Of the list, I have seen every game and the top will be 1996 QF by some distance. That was a great, great PAK team with most of the players at their peak (barring Javed, who forced his way to PAK team, then play XI, and now these days he criticizes players to undeservingly hang around, irony....), and despite Wasim missing that game (& WY going for a beating), PAK had every opportunity to win that game.

    SO many "wrong" was committed by PAK batsmen that day, that one could feel the PAK players were not in the game. 289 in 49 overs against IND, in IND in 1990s was always going to be tough, but PAK lost the game not from start, rather after 10 overs with 85/0 on board - needing 205 in 39 overs, with two set openers in, dew started to pour down and 10 of India's potent 30 overs gone. That day, IND was one bowler short, which had to be made by part-timers, then Ashish Kapoor was playing his 1st game of WC.

    I remember, Azhar taking at least 5 minutes to start the 11th over, as his three main bowlers including Kumble were taken to the cleaners - then he went for one last over of Srinath, his 6th; and Anwar playing so far majestically for 48 (31), decided to play the least percentage shot of cricket - a lofted on drive from out side off, against a fast bowler bringing ball into him at pace and there was a deep mid-on placed - my hunch is, 99 times out of 100, any batsmen will fail to clear the deep mid-on on that shot, Anwar didn't either. Sohail took charge of the proceedings and he was still winning it - 115/1, after 14'5, that's 175 of 34 with 9 wickets at hand and by now Srinath had bowled 6, Prashad 4'5 and Kumble 4 ... only 15 overs from them were left - then the Sohail thing happened.

    It was still on until, Izaj did exactly what Anwar did - this time to Prashad with almost identical result. ....It was still on - Azhar yet had to bail out 20 overs from Tendulkar, Jadeja & Kapoor and asking was less than 5.3, for a target around 170. Mongia dropped Inzamam, almost a dolly and the big mad was in tremendous form - he got out exactly to the same shot to cent percent precision - C Mongia, B Prashad, 3 balls later - 4 down.

    Now, Azhar started to screw run-rate with his part-timers and that obsolete man Javed started to consume dots, asking went to sky and Salim Malik lost his wicket trying to reduce it. Even then, some mighty blows by Latif gave enough indication that had PAK planned the chase a little methodically, it was a game that should have been won comfortably from 85/0.

    That WC, PAK top 4 were in tremendous form - each one scored plenty when they got the chance. As usual, PAK tank didn't think much, so against both Holland & UAE, after winning toss, on absolute belters, they decided to chase and casually won both games by 9 wickets inside 25 overs, ....... which didn't allow middle order any match practice - next game, against SAF, within few balls the two scorers against Holland, UAE (Saeed & Ijaz) got out, which cost PAK that game, because Amir, Inzi & others had their first outing in that WC, after 10 weeks from last competitive game - Amir did get a pain stacking hundred, but PAK fell short of posting a winning target. BUT, by the time QF started, each of the top 4 had enough time in middle, they were in great form - AND, each of them threw their wicket to fairly harmless balls, when there was absolutely no pressure to go after.

    That, 1996 QF loss will hunt PAK many, many decades because PAK lost to IND in a WC game with undoubtedly superior team - since then, the gap between PAK-IND started to reduce and by 2003 the hand switched, it's getting wider from there on. I am not sure when PAK is going to beat IND in an ICC WC game in future!!!!!!

    The Mohali one wasn't listed here because this thread was opened before that game, but that game wasn't a surprise to me to be honest - IND that time at home, batting first was always overwhelming favorites - Wahab's magic spell brought PAK into game some what, but fielders backed Indian batting that day to cover-up. NEVER in my mind was any doubt about who was going to win it after 1st innings.

    Out side the list, four other games I can recall, which, I will always remember that got away from PAK -

    1. WC SF 1987 - PAK probably could have lost on an odd day and that was one such day. But, bad luck also stuck PAK that day - WK Yousuf got injured and Javed had to keep, not only he made a mess of keeping, but PAK pacers also had to bowl within Javed's limit.... then the batsman in form Salim Malik got run-out comically!!!! Still, it took an umpiring howler for AUS to win it. I don't think Imran was out to Border and had he stayed there, still PAK should have won that game.

    2. This one I watched live, about 50 metres away from players dressing room - the Independence Cup 1998, at Dhaka, against IND and, it took a the then World Record to beat PAK. I have seen most of Saeed's hundreds, but that 140 that day was probably his best - absolute master class, Ijaz also hit a hundred and PAK posted a World Record chasing target for 314. Untimely rain didn't help the cause and the game was played under drizzle and under light - Ganguly and Robin Singh of all people put a match winning partnership to our surprise.

    BUT, that game was lost in dressing room more than on field. Once rain started to fall, there was always a chance of match being washed out or end prematurely and IND had been behind the numbers in such case till like 48th over. PM Hasina was at the ground and it was certain that they would carry the game as long as possible for a direct result. In January, it doesn't rain heavy in Dhaka and it was just a steady drizzle, annoying but it allowed the game to continue. I saw Indian dressing room extremely active - with BCB people, match referee and I am sure they had put enough pressure to carry on the game under that condition - fortunately for them, it got a bit better as well for last hour of the game. And, they were calculating by ball - almost after every over, 12th man will head to the middle to have a chat with the batsmen in middle.

    PAK camp was enjoying the hospitality - Haroon Rashid was the Coach and that guy was smiling, joking all through, when inch by inch IND closed the game. I never found him thinking out - what if? And, their foolishness was exposed in the post-match conference - Haroon Rashid was damn upset that the game continued till end under such circumstances as "they were expecting" Umpires to take action and called the game off after 20 overs!!!!!!! Instead of expecting, that guy should have got informed about it from the Match Referee's office, by the next door!!!!! Had PAK believed that the game will continue till end, I am sure still they would have won that game - in last 10-12 overs, finally in last hour or so, rain got better (reduced) and players at middle realized that it will be a full game, and they did took it to last ball with 7 down.

    3. The ICC KO SF against WIN in 2004 (or 05?) at Southampton - I still don't know how could that PAK side lose to that WIN in a game like SF in UK!!!!!!! And, it was a horrible way to lose - bundled out probably inside 35 overs (of a 50 over game), then got WIN 5/6 down defending a minuscule target.

    4. The ICC KO QF against NZ at Niroby (2000?) - Anwar got a hundred there, but PAK still managed to lose a game to a Kiwi left-arm seemer I can't recall now!!!!! I was watching that game with friends and each one was convinced that, whatever PAK will defend the total, I wasn't sure though - PAK managed to score 200+ on a 275 per track, batting first with their best batsman hitting a hundred!!!

    Interestingly both WIN & NZ went on to win respective tournaments, which suggests had PAK won these two games, at least once they would have won the tournament. Those were quite solid PAK squads with multiple match winners.
    It was very well written about banglore and dhaka defeats, where Pakistani think tank proved to be dumb, but I just want to add little bit more.
    Before Pakistan vs UAE match in Gujranwala, there was heavy rain overnight so outfield was wet. Helicopter was called to dry the outfield.
    The match was reduced to 33 overs for each side. Pakistan won the toss and decided to bowl.
    In the second match, Netherlands won the toss and elected to bat first.
    After quarter finals loss, people in Pakistan were mad at wasim akram. So, Ptv (Pakistan television) conducted a special interview of wasim akram. During the interview, he was specifically asked about his decision of batting second against UAE and replied that the number of overs were reduced so team management was afraid of any upset.

    Moreover, i think you will not find any Pakistani poster here calling Pakistan's defeat against Zimbabwe in 2013 as the most painful apart from any kid who started watching cricket after 2012.
    Even if you go to any street of Pakistan and ask people about a test defeat which made them most upset. I am sure only 1% will mention this.

    Yes losing to that Zimbabwe side was a bit embarrassing but not that painful. That Zimbabwe side had some decent players like Brendan Taylor, infact they defeated much better Bangladesh side just few months ago despite losing the toss and the margin of victory was 335 runs.
    But even if i were a Bangladeshi, i wouldn't have called that the most painful defeat. For Bangladesh, in tests, i think it should be the one against Afghanistan ( Actually I was supporting Bangladesh in that match and wanted them to thrash Afghanistan)

  29. #189
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    27,930
    Mentioned
    2363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaddy View Post
    It was very well written about banglore and dhaka defeats, where Pakistani think tank proved to be dumb, but I just want to add little bit more.
    Before Pakistan vs UAE match in Gujranwala, there was heavy rain overnight so outfield was wet. Helicopter was called to dry the outfield.
    The match was reduced to 33 overs for each side. Pakistan won the toss and decided to bowl.
    In the second match, Netherlands won the toss and elected to bat first.
    After quarter finals loss, people in Pakistan were mad at wasim akram. So, Ptv (Pakistan television) conducted a special interview of wasim akram. During the interview, he was specifically asked about his decision of batting second against UAE and replied that the number of overs were reduced so team management was afraid of any upset.

    Moreover, i think you will not find any Pakistani poster here calling Pakistan's defeat against Zimbabwe in 2013 as the most painful apart from any kid who started watching cricket after 2012.
    Even if you go to any street of Pakistan and ask people about a test defeat which made them most upset. I am sure only 1% will mention this.

    Yes losing to that Zimbabwe side was a bit embarrassing but not that painful. That Zimbabwe side had some decent players like Brendan Taylor, infact they defeated much better Bangladesh side just few months ago despite losing the toss and the margin of victory was 335 runs.
    But even if i were a Bangladeshi, i wouldn't have called that the most painful defeat. For Bangladesh, in tests, i think it should be the one against Afghanistan ( Actually I was supporting Bangladesh in that match and wanted them to thrash Afghanistan)
    Test cricket is totally different thing - a better team has three more bites to fix one innings. In that regard, nothing comes close to that Test defeat when it comes to upset; but yes, no comparison with ICC ODI events in that regard. I tend to keep ODI/T20 separate from Test cricket for such discussions.

    Now I can recall the WC games in 1996 - still, if that PAK side was scared about an upset to Holland, I guess something wasn't right in Think Tank's mind.

  30. #190
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    2,318
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    World Cup semi final 2011 because we should have had that game in the bag but really bad shot selection cost us and India fielding was good that day but we should have won we restricted them to decent total for us to chase

    Also the 2019 World Cup match we just looked all over the place and could not take wickets and batting was doing okay but bad shot selection and good bowling cost us same like in 2015 like we didn't learn from our mistakes and plus we won the toss and we decided to field first as well made no sense

  31. #191
    Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    2,634
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently the loss to WI in the World Cup was upsetting. That was a game Pakistan should have won but nobody stood up. The way Amir bowled that game, if Pakistan had gotten above 200, we would have had a chance. Also the margin that we lost by really hurt our chances at entering the semis due to NRR.

    Mohali was also upsetting, I couldn't watch it live because I was at a school camp, but from what I heard is that Pakistan were well on track to win, my parents went to sleep cause it was late night here, they woke up to Misbah playing test cricket and Pakistan were in big trouble. And that's not the only knockout Misbah lost for us against India.

  32. #192
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    5,448
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danyaalr01 View Post
    Recently the loss to WI in the World Cup was upsetting. That was a game Pakistan should have won but nobody stood up. The way Amir bowled that game, if Pakistan had gotten above 200, we would have had a chance. Also the margin that we lost by really hurt our chances at entering the semis due to NRR.

    Mohali was also upsetting, I couldn't watch it live because I was at a school camp, but from what I heard is that Pakistan were well on track to win, my parents went to sleep cause it was late night here, they woke up to Misbah playing test cricket and Pakistan were in big trouble. And that's not the only knockout Misbah lost for us against India.
    For some strange reason Pakistanís record against WI in ICC tournaments is not that great.

  33. #193
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    HK/Sydney/KL/Monaco..Home is Attock Distt, Pakistan
    Runs
    908
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1999 final hurts to this day because we were the best side in the tournament (along with S.A), but as alwaysm the aussie mental toughness shone through and the way we just collapsed from the get go hurt like hell.

    Just as bad was the semi that happened on this day in 2011. Was so clearly fixed and it hurt that'd we sold out, hurt so much that i stopped watching cricket since then. Stopped following cricket properly since then i mean.


    Alone we are Pathan, Punjabi, Sindhi and Balochi...together we are Pakistan


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •