Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cricket Ball Making in Pakistan

    Just saw this video on Youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rzm1...eature=related

    Anyone know what company is it? :rana

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    1,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Slazenger logos on the wall.


    "Oh, lovely, lovely. Well, look, I'd love to stop and chat but I'd rather have type 2 diabetes."

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is one of the best maker of the balls indeed.

    It could be Grays and there balls are very very good but the good quality ones are sent to UK and none of those good ones are sold to localist in Pakistan.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SempreSami View Post
    I see Slazenger logos on the wall.
    Nahh there was MB Malik on the wall too!

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    90
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compare that with this ...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEUK...eature=related

    Anyone else think those poor guys making balls by hand are under-appreciated?

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    1,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Beautiful


    "Oh, lovely, lovely. Well, look, I'd love to stop and chat but I'd rather have type 2 diabetes."

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hand stitched balls last longer and are better - just cost more and that's why companies like Kooka have switched to machines and are pretending as if machine made is better - It simply aint!

    v labour intensive...ball making.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Chi-Town
    Runs
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While on the subject of cricket balls, I have always wondered about the debate of 2 piece ball vs 4 piece balls?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 piece- stays in shape longer, is better, generally longer lasting(ball breakage wise) as well.

    2 piece- always swings more, cheaper than 4 pc and thus used in practice nets etc. can lose shape sometimes - goes egg shaped

    some people think 2 piece are bat breakers or 4 piece do that- nothing of the sort. A ball can be bad for the bat depending on the composition of the ball NOT the piecing (2 or 4) applied.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    153
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    4 piece- stays in shape longer, is better, generally longer lasting(ball breakage wise) as well.

    2 piece- always swings more, cheaper than 4 pc and thus used in practice nets etc. can lose shape sometimes - goes egg shaped

    some people think 2 piece are bat breakers or 4 piece do that- nothing of the sort. A ball can be bad for the bat depending on the composition of the ball NOT the piecing (2 or 4) applied.
    all i know is that slazenger balls break bats. NEVER use balls made by slaz

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    1,804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about that, we used one in a match the other week and it was fine.


    "Oh, lovely, lovely. Well, look, I'd love to stop and chat but I'd rather have type 2 diabetes."

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with JN1301 on this one.

    The slazenger balls (or Gray Nics ones) I have seen are rock hard and sound dodgy when they hit bats.

    I used to keep a cheaper bat for nets- another for better times!

  13. #13
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricketismylife bro as far I knew aren't two piece balls harder and stiffer compare to four piece hence they are known as 'bat breaker'?

    So going by that a two piece ball would be safe for bats?

    I will also add SG balls to that list, have seen that ball damaging many bats lol.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Chi-Town
    Runs
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has to be more to it than this. Isn't it true that in test matches 2 piece balls are used?

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adill420 View Post
    There has to be more to it than this. Isn't it true that in test matches 2 piece balls are used?
    nope- 4 piece balls in all domestic, county or international level leagues.

    2 piece is cheaper to manufacture (half the stitching labour) and hence used for club trainings etc.

    Even decent level club games use 4 piece.

    all international games (ODI or T20) are using Kookaburra balls and soon all test balls will be kookas as well.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    nope- 4 piece balls in all domestic, county or international level leagues.

    2 piece is cheaper to manufacture (half the stitching labour) and hence used for club trainings etc.

    Even decent level club games use 4 piece.

    all international games (ODI or T20) are using Kookaburra balls and soon all test balls will be kookas as well.
    Aren't the test matches red ball Kookaburra already? (excluding UK where Dukes is used)

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Drive View Post
    Cricketismylife bro as far I knew aren't two piece balls harder and stiffer compare to four piece hence they are known as 'bat breaker'?

    So going by that a two piece ball would be safe for bats?

    I will also add SG balls to that list, have seen that ball damaging many bats lol.
    CD dost:
    Again, it depends on the composition and the grade the balls are meant to be.

    e.g. Kooka 2 piece balls (like kooka Practice or kooka Zenith or kooka reader) will not damage bats.

    whereas even Slaz 4 piece might be bat damaging.

    Cost gives a fairly good indicator of the ball.

    Also, companies like Gray Nics and Slaz dont make their balls- they get them done for cheap from india or pak. Even for India and Pak standards they buy the cheapest middle range so one can imagine the quality of the ball.

    Depends mostly on the core of the ball- if its hard goli inside - it will damage bats. leather makes a difference as well but more on the durability rather than the damage caused.



    With SG as well- the lower grade balls are bat damaging rocks e.g.SG Seamer and bouncer are terrible balls- rock hard POS. whereas the higher grade balls are good enough for international level cricket.

    In fact the SG test ball was the actual ball being used in tests in India. I used to have one ( was a hand me down from a senior player) and that ball didnt get destroyed even after 110-120 overs that we could ball in the nets!! Not sure what the quality is like these days but they will surely not be bat breakers.
    pic of that ball below:

    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

    Used to be 500-700 indian rupees which used to be a big deal when I used to play. Cheaper balls used to cost Rs 50-60.

    Watch out for cheap fakes as well.

    The real SG test that I had was soft leather even after it was worn out.

    SG Seam was hand stitched (nice thick thread) and was real easy to grip as a spinner. No wonder Harbhajan singh was having problems once he came to Australia- in Australia they were using Kookaburra for tests and kookas have machine stitching which is not as easy to grip.

    Now a days even kids in India/Pak have seen kooka balls! For the last generation it was a distant dream ....(even Ranji spinners struggled once they came on international stage)

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we use SG balls in our league. SG Test White for Div 1, SG Test for Div 2 and SG Tournament Special for all other divisions. i must say the balls are really good. they don't have a lot of lacquer. so you have to work hard to maintain the shine. but the ball retains its shape really well. and on another note, none of them are bat breakers. have not used lower quality SG balls yet.

    i believe that there are a lot of fakes out there which can be bat breakers. these can be of any make from kook, gray nics, sg, bdm etc

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Drive View Post
    Aren't the test matches red ball Kookaburra already? (excluding UK where Dukes is used)
    used to be like this:

    Tests in England- Dukes
    Tests in India - SG TEST
    Tests in Anywhere else - Kookaburra

    Lately even in India kookaburra is being used even for Test games (Not sure if they have started already or doing that soon).

    In fact lot of "imp people" want kookaburras to be used for every game in india. In a way it makes sense coz players have to use kookas eventually anyways. and now they have too muchmoney anyways so who cares. lol.

    Kookaburra is nice ball to swing once new and also nice seam movement if you can hit the seam initially

    But once its a few overs old the seam dies completely- so batting is dead easy - especially in the subcontinent.

    On the other hand Dukes and SG have nice thick seam- thus sometimes even after a few overs there is still seam movement.

    lately it has all been about using the new ball and then waiting/hoping for reverse swing - thats because the bowlers are adapting due to kooka balls everywhere.

    In England partly due to the weather and partly due to the ball being used- there's always a bit happening.

    They might start using Kookaburras in england Tests as well soon....

    A bit sad coz All these variations (even cricket ball) make this lovely game even more interesting.
    Last edited by Cricketismylife; 20th May 2011 at 05:49.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the leather is very different on Dukes/Kooka/SG.

    Dukes is tougher leather than kooka or SG and helps even more with the swing/movement.

    because of tougher nature Dukes are being used in some Pakistan domestic tournaments as well.

    SG starts getting the reverse swing the earliest amongst the three.
    Last edited by Cricketismylife; 20th May 2011 at 05:50.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    CD dost:
    Again, it depends on the composition and the grade the balls are meant to be.

    e.g. Kooka 2 piece balls (like kooka Practice or kooka Zenith or kooka reader) will not damage bats.

    whereas even Slaz 4 piece might be bat damaging.

    Cost gives a fairly good indicator of the ball.

    Also, companies like Gray Nics and Slaz dont make their balls- they get them done for cheap from india or pak. Even for India and Pak standards they buy the cheapest middle range so one can imagine the quality of the ball.

    Depends mostly on the core of the ball- if its hard goli inside - it will damage bats. leather makes a difference as well but more on the durability rather than the damage caused.



    With SG as well- the lower grade balls are bat damaging rocks e.g.SG Seamer and bouncer are terrible balls- rock hard POS. whereas the higher grade balls are good enough for international level cricket.

    In fact the SG test ball was the actual ball being used in tests in India. I used to have one ( was a hand me down from a senior player) and that ball didnt get destroyed even after 110-120 overs that we could ball in the nets!! Not sure what the quality is like these days but they will surely not be bat breakers.
    pic of that ball below:

    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

    Used to be 500-700 indian rupees which used to be a big deal when I used to play. Cheaper balls used to cost Rs 50-60.

    Watch out for cheap fakes as well.

    The real SG test that I had was soft leather even after it was worn out.

    SG Seam was hand stitched (nice thick thread) and was real easy to grip as a spinner. No wonder Harbhajan singh was having problems once he came to Australia- in Australia they were using Kookaburra for tests and kookas have machine stitching which is not as easy to grip.

    Now a days even kids in India/Pak have seen kooka balls! For the last generation it was a distant dream ....(even Ranji spinners struggled once they came on international stage)
    I am going to Pakistan and will try to buy few different balls (cheap and most expensive oneS) and then cut them into pieces and see what a good ball and a bad ball looks like from inside. It would be interesting to see that I would reckon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    used to be like this:

    Tests in England- Dukes
    Tests in India - SG TEST
    Tests in Anywhere else - Kookaburra

    Lately even in India kookaburra is being used even for Test games.

    Then in a few tests the Kookas didnt last as long and they were considering whether to go back to SG. But didnt.

    In fact lot of "imp people" want kookaburras to be used for every game in india. In a way it makes sense coz players have to use kookas eventually anyways. and now they have too muchmoney anyways so who cares. lol.

    Kookaburra is nice ball to swing once new and also nice seam movement if you can hit the seam initially

    But once its a few overs old the seam dies completely- so batting is dead easy - especially in the subcontinent.

    On the other hand Dukes and SG have nice thick seam- thus sometimes even after a few overs there is still seam movement.

    lately it has all been about using the new ball and then waiting/hoping for reverse swing - thats because the bowlers are adapting due to kooka balls everywhere.

    In England partly due to the weather and partly due to the ball being used- there's always a bit happening.

    They might start using Kookaburras in england Tests as well soon....

    A bit sad coz All these variations (even cricket ball) make this lovely game even more interesting.
    Ah man you're a star seriously! thanks for writing all this I appreciate it!

    You have pretty much summed up everything, don't have any question(s)

    Personally I would say Dukes should be used everywhere so bowlers get an advantage because if you look in subcontinent it is all batsman game, bowler can't do anything when a ball gets old so assuming Dukes last longer ("newness") so that should help the bowlers too!

    I have a Dukes ball not sure which one it is but I must say it is brilliant!

    HAve played with Kookaburra balls and after aounrd 28ish overs they get soft and seam is widen and cracks are visibly.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    Also, the leather is very different on Dukes/Kooka/SG.

    Dukes is tougher leather than kooka or SG and helps even more with the swing/movement.

    because of tougher nature Dukes are being used in some Pakistan domestic tournaments as well.

    SG starts getting the reverse swing the earliest amongst the three.
    REally ?! Dukes are used in Pakistan's domestic tournament?! I thought it was only Grays balls used in Pakistani domestic circuit.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    used to be like this:

    Tests in England- Dukes
    Tests in India - SG TEST
    Tests in Anywhere else - Kookaburra

    Lately even in India kookaburra is being used even for Test games (Not sure if they have started already or doing that soon).
    it is still the same.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Drive View Post
    REally ?! Dukes are used in Pakistan's domestic tournament?! I thought it was only Grays balls used in Pakistani domestic circuit.
    yeah, one of those surprising things. Not all of them but some of the domestics are using those - or at least were using those till late last year. Dont know whats happening with Pak cricket this year!

    One thing that favours kooka the most is that being such a big company, their quality control is pretty good.

    Balls like SG are harder to QC coz you can imagine the nightmare of controlling the quality of leather in the subcontinent.

    Think it like this :Quite possible that the cow/buffalo down the street will end up becoming the cricket ball that Zaheer (or any other Phaast bowler! lol) opens his bowling with!!

    SG favours spinners a lot as well - BIG thick seam gets easily stuck in the fingers for extra spin.

    I am pretty sure that Readers ball was being used for some international games as well- but now they might be a part of Kooka as well. Readers (Kooka firm) are still the biggest in indoor though....
    Last edited by Cricketismylife; 20th May 2011 at 06:30.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    yeah, one of those surprising things. Not all of them but some of the domestics are using those - or at least were using those.

    One thing that favours kooka the most is that being such a big company, their quality control is pretty good.

    Balls like SG are harder to QC coz you can imagine the nightmare of controlling the quality of leather in the subcontinent.

    Think it like this :Quite possible that the cow/buffalo down the street will end up becoming the cricket ball that Zaheer (or any other Phaast bowler! lol) opens his bowling with!!

    SG favours spinners a lot as well - BIG thick seam gets easily stuck in the fingers for extra spin.

    I am pretty sure that Readers ball was being used for some international games as well- but now they might be a part of Kooka as well. Readers (Kooka firm) are still the biggest in indoor though....
    Do you exactly know which domestic tournaments in Pakistan use/used Dukes balls?

    True, I would say samething is with Dukes. I heard that all rejected test level Dukes balls go into County circuit.

    It is quite obvious to control the quality in Asia and we all know why is that.

    My old club got these Readers ball and I believe they were low end (actually I'm sure) and they were truly rubbish balls. They didn't look like a good ball after few delieveries.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    remember reading about it a while back - They were saying Aamer and Asif felt right at home using Duke coz they have used the same in pak

    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2010/0...66P1VW20100726

    "The English pitches remain soft and have moisture because of the weather and the Duke ball has a more prominent seam and hard leather which makes it easier for our bowlers to swing and seam the ball around," former fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz said.

    Nawaz said the Pakistani bowlers were more comfortable using the Duke ball because similar brands were used in domestic cricket.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover Drive View Post
    Personally I would say Dukes should be used everywhere so bowlers get an advantage because if you look in subcontinent it is all batsman game, bowler can't do anything when a ball gets old so assuming Dukes last longer ("newness") so that should help the bowlers too!
    Yeah, Dukes would make for more competitive cricket.

    You know what would be even better- in Pak they should use Pak made cricket ball!

    A lot of companies like CA or Malik would kill for something like that.
    And Pak make balls for some of the biggest brands- surely some sort of control can be put.

    Even Kookas arent 100% trouble proof!

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From another article:

    Cricket experts have put the success of the Pakistani pace bowlers in England to the fact that they also use the Duke and Gray's cricket balls in domestic cricket and are more comfortable bowling with it than the Kookaburra ball normally used in many countries.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Chaht keh nechay :)
    Runs
    23,304
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    remember reading about it a while back - They were saying Aamer and Asif felt right at home using Duke coz they have used the same in pak

    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2010/0...66P1VW20100726

    "The English pitches remain soft and have moisture because of the weather and the Duke ball has a more prominent seam and hard leather which makes it easier for our bowlers to swing and seam the ball around," former fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz said.

    Nawaz said the Pakistani bowlers were more comfortable using the Duke ball because similar brands were used in domestic cricket.
    Ahh okay, I know top of the range Dukes balls are made in England but maybe the second best ones are made in Pakistan. A lot of companies get balls made from Pakistan too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    Yeah, Dukes would make for more competitive cricket.

    You know what would be even better- in Pak they should use Pak made cricket ball!

    A lot of companies like CA or Malik would kill for something like that.
    And Pak make balls for some of the biggest brands- surely some sort of control can be put.

    Even Kookas arent 100% trouble proof!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    From another article:

    Cricket experts have put the success of the Pakistani pace bowlers in England to the fact that they also use the Duke and Gray's cricket balls in domestic cricket and are more comfortable bowling with it than the Kookaburra ball normally used in many countries.
    These Gray's balls are very very good in Pakistan. Unfortunately they are soo strict that they are only available for imports, localist can't have access to those good top end Gray's balls.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    526
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why doesn't Pakistan use SG in UAE because it has a fatter seam and easier to grip for Spinners?

    Indian Spinners have an advantage in Indian conditions due to the ball being used.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •