Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"MS Dhoni will be a big player in this World Cup" : Ravi Shastri

Virat Kohli: "Playing really good cricket has been our focus and hence the results. All the world cup-bound players were in great form during the IPL and we expect ourselves to play the best cricket we can. The emphasis will be on the process."

Kohli: "Handling pressure is more important than the conditions, all bowlers have been preparing with the 50 over World Cup in mind. Even during the IPL, if you see none of our bowlers looked fatigued as they have been in the 50 over zone. The key is to not let the fitness levels come down and that was communicated to them before the tournament."

Kohli: "Kuldeep is one of the pillars along with Chahal for our bowling. The same applies for Kedar Jadhav; he wasn't playing in the best of pitches and T20 is such a format where if you aren't among runs, then it tends to continue for a few games. I'm sure they are in a good headspace."

Ravi Shastri: "The World Cup is a great opportunity, our team has played great cricket for the past five years. We need to enjoy the tournament. If we play to our potential then the Cup can be ours. Format is also challenging, the gap between team is also very close. It's a very strong competition. It will be fantastic. The plus side is you have nine games."

Shastri: "Our mantra is to be flexible in the last 10 overs. The pitches are going to be flat but overcast conditions will also have to be taken into consideration. It will vary from venue to venue, so you have to be prepared for that."

Shastri: " M.S. Dhoni's communication with Virat has been great. The way he was moving in the IPL was great. As a keeper, he has shown that there's no one better than him. He will be a big player in this World Cup."

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le27193790.ece

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If the wickets stay like we have seen recently, then good luck to bowlers for dismissing Dhoni, if he ever get’s opportunity to bat after the top order.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    According to experts here, dhoni is a burden on Team India.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    NYC, NY
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dhoni is always a big player. But in the context of this WC, India's middle order is heavily dependent on Dhoni.

The top 3 are bound to fail at some point, and in the absence of player like Yuvraj and Raina, Dhoni's is role all the more crucial.

"I score a lot of runs (playing selfishly) and my team loses, what good are those runs? ."
    Inzi

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he is talking about "commercial" point of view yes he is a big player. He is there to do the captaincy for Kohli and do a couple of fancy, stylish stumpings so that his fans can go gaga over all over the internet Whatever he scores is a bonus.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    According to experts here, dhoni is a burden on Team India.
    You do know he is the king of dot balls right? He can protect his wicket. But other than that occasionally hits a few sixes after 48th over. Helps orchestrate chase with asking rate of about 5.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So old is now called Big

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    You do know he is the king of dot balls right? He can protect his wicket. But other than that occasionally hits a few sixes after 48th over. Helps orchestrate chase with asking rate of about 5.
    Every team knows that Dhoni is no threat to them. Once Top 3 are out, opposition knows that India are done. Shastri trying to big up his pathetic selections.

Nasser Hussain was commenting about it during the 5th ODI between Eng vs Pak. He said that India has the longest tail of all teams. He is too polite to not take out the names in the tail.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    Every team knows that Dhoni is no threat to them. Once Top 3 are out, opposition knows that India are done. Shastri trying to big up his pathetic selections.

Nasser Hussain was commenting about it during the 5th ODI between Eng vs Pak. He said that India has the longest tail of all teams. He is too polite to not take out the names in the tail.
    He will come and say "Ball was not coming on to the bat, ball was stopping on the pitch" lol

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dhoni's form was still questionable during 2011 WC, now we are at 2019. He is seriously out of date at this point.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad to be missing on useless players like yuvraj & raina

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he literally won india 2 games in australia first with kohli & then with kedhar. His IPL form was amazing averaging over 70.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India captain Virat Kohli in confident mood ahead of Cricket World Cup

India captain Virat Kohli has insisted that his team are feeling confident ahead of the Cricket World Cup.

Kohli is confident of his India team's ability heading into this summer's tournament in England and Wales starting next week, live on Sky Sports.

The 30-year-old batsman, who will captain his team at the World Cup for the first time, admitted that this would be the most challenging World Cup that he has played in.

Kohli said: "Personally, I think this is probably the most challenging World Cup of all the three that I've been part of, because of the format."

The new format of the tournament will decide the semi-finalists through a round-robin system, with all teams playing each other once.

He added: "We go into the World Cup feeling very balanced and confident. All our players have been in great form in the IPL.''

India coach Ravi Shastri added that the tournament will be very competitive and any team could be crowned champions on at Lord's on July 14.

Shastri said: "Any team can beat any team...The gap is much closer now between teams."

The India squad travel to England on Wednesday and will begin their World Cup campaign against South Africa in Southampton on June 5, following a warm-up match against Bangladesh on May 28.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...cket-world-cup

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he is talking about "commercial" point of view yes he is a big player. He is there to do the captaincy for Kohli and do a couple of fancy, stylish stumpings so that his fans can go gaga over all over the internet Whatever he scores is a bonus.
    The actual big players are busy doing FANCY and STYLISH pimple cream ads after getting rejected in the WC squad.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    The actual big players are busy doing FANCY and STYLISH pimple cream ads after getting rejected in the WC squad.
    Kaptaan is out of wc squad!!!!?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Last WC, on these English pitches and with excellent weather to boot, good luck to the bowlers

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Kaptaan is out of wc squad!!!!?
    The future kaptaan/finisher/opener/No.4/saviour & the big player Pant!

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    The future kaptaan/finisher/opener/No.4/saviour & the big player Pant!
    Oh. The 21 year and 5 match old kid who looks up to Dhoni? That one?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Oh. The 21 year and 5 match old kid who looks up to Dhoni? That one?
    Pimple Pant ka time aayega.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yezir View Post
    he literally won india 2 games in australia first with kohli & then with kedhar. His IPL form was amazing averaging over 70.
    IPL has rejuvenated Dhoni. I expect him to deliver

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mp812 View Post
    IPL has rejuvenated Dhoni. I expect him to deliver
    He is way more focused in IPL. If he shows even 50% of his IPL determination India will reach the final. But he doesn't have the same passion for India anymore.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling he is going to play a Test match during a knockout stage and screw us over. He was mostly bullying local bowlers in IPL. Flat pitches will help, but the English condition is still a worry.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he will play epic test match inning
    and crowd will boo him just like last tour.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an indian i always get the heebie jeebies when Shastri does the bombastic motor mouth...oh how i wish our guys kept quiet and leave all the actoin on the field to speak for itself....
    this is it-make or break for msd...hopefully he pulls the rabbits out of the hat...cheers and amen to that...

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is way more focused in IPL. If he shows even 50% of his IPL determination India will reach the final. But he doesn't have the same passion for India anymore.
    If I had said the same thing about Pandya you people would have jumped on me lol. How do you know he doesn't have the passion for India anymore?

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Realromeo View Post
    I have a feeling he is going to play a Test match during a knockout stage and screw us over. He was mostly bullying local bowlers in IPL. Flat pitches will help, but the English condition is still a worry.
    Don't they all bully local bowlers in IPL and get popular like Pandya?

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What dhoni brings on the table?

Right now, the only thing I can think of is, how he sucks the run dry in the middle overs with spinners and then forces the opposition to make a mistake.

Is this worth having a liability batsman in the team. Not sure.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post

Right now, the only thing I can think of is, how he sucks the run dry in the middle overs with spinners and then forces the opposition to make a mistake.

So who should have been selected instead of Dhoni? Lets see what you bring on to the table.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So who should have been selected instead of Dhoni? Lets see what you bring on to the table.
    I don't have problem with MS Dhoni as long as he bats at No.7 or No.8. Right now, he is pretending like he is a middle order batsman and some kind of God like finisher which he is not. That is where he is throwing the team off balance.

I would pick someone like a Pant who does not waste too many balls coming in at around 35-40th over. MSD takes his own royal time, dries up all the momentum and finally hits a couple of big ones in the 49th over. Not good enough in this day and age. His type of batting used to work about 20 years ago.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why the confronting tone? I just said I am not sure. Means I still have my doubts going either way.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There has never been any doubt on what Dhoni 'can' do.

People have just been irritated with his leave everything till the very end attitude in last 4-5 years. In his prime days, Dhoni maintained a good SR right from the word go. Now he plays like Misbah used to. Tuk tuk tuk and go berserk in the end/fail 8/10 times.

There were games that were lost simply because MSD refused to rotate strike in last 5 overs, took it all on himself and then simply failed to hit the big hits when needed,

If you are 6/7 down, one can understand taking it down to the 50th over. I remember a game in West Indies against Sri Lanka when he did exactly that while playing with the tail. He took the game till the 50th over and ensured it became a one on one contest of 2 hits/6 balls and he ended the match in first 2-3 deliveries itself with 6s. It makes sense doing it with the tail. Nowadays even if we are 4 down MSD tries to use the same approach and messes our chase up, gets his partners out under pressure etc.

Also when batting first, he seems to have simply lost the ability to hit 100s/even 80s.

When we used to be 100/4 in 2010s, Yuvi/Dhoni/Raina - one of them would hit a run a ball ton, or two 80s. Dhoni comes in such scenarios now and hits irritating 36 (59) kind of useless scores.

Rohit Sharma can totally afford to be 30 (60) as an opener if he hits the next 70 in 40 which he totally does. Even if he fails one of the top 4 will make up for that.

Dhoni coming in the crucial middle order overs and refusing to strike at a rate needed in modern day cricket doesn't serve Indian team. Because if he is unable to make up for that slow start there ios no batting left after him which can make up for it.

He can but he simply, refuses.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having said that Dhoni is a hero and a big match player.

Him coming in to bat at any moment in a big match would still worry opposition camp fans and give goosebumps to Indians.

His ability to absorb pressure and continue fighting is unmatched. Easily among the greatest batsmen in ODIs.

He's an absolute asset and while a lot of Indians have question marks on his deliverables, many teams would give anything to have a player like him in their world cup team.

He is literally priceless.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the elite level, Cricket is just not about putting bat to the ball or taking wickets. Strategy and calculations are very important and there is no one better at this today than MS. The calmness he brings to a chase along with tactics while defending alone is enough. I dont give a fig about his strike rate because his value to the side is whilst we are bowling. Batting is just a bonus.

Haters are going to hate! Go Dhoni!!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dhoni is invaluable to the team..those who think otherwise do not know much about cricket..

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I had said the same thing about Pandya you people would have jumped on me lol. How do you know he doesn't have the passion for India anymore?
    Never seen him tuk tuking deliberately for CSK. When it comes to India he just push himself.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He is there for proxy captaincy and fancy stumpings. Don't say he is totally useless. He can guide small chases when someone gives him company and scores quickly. Rohit is equally a good captain if not better. Infact if Rohit were captain i guarantee India would reach the final. He reads the game way better than Kohli.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pandya has actually been crap in the IPL for most parts until this season. This was his best season lol.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Pandya has actually been crap in the IPL for most parts until this season. This was his best season lol.
    These people fail to understand that IPL has actually given them the platform (for more than 50 players) to learn how to play at big stage, tough situations! It is not necessary that they have to perform brilliantly and have great statistics in these matches! Most of our new players (and even players who were in-and-out of the team OR not yet cemented their position in the national side) were behaving like putting straight into the pool without knowing to swim! IPL has given them a chance to at least practice with a swim ring It is left to them after that how they carry themselves... But one thing is sure Indian pacers were not bowling this good (even in tests), advent of proper wrist spinners (at least in Indian Cricket), fielding & running between the wicket, pressure-handling were not this good before IPL....

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    Melbourne(Dilli)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS will be a big factor in later stages of the tournament. Absorbing pressure, field placements....Kohli will learn a lot.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All top players will be big players for their teams. Shastri again talking nonsense!

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamLakhan View Post
    These people fail to understand that IPL has actually given them the platform (for more than 50 players) to learn how to play at big stage, tough situations! It is not necessary that they have to perform brilliantly and have great statistics in these matches! Most of our new players (and even players who were in-and-out of the team OR not yet cemented their position in the national side) were behaving like putting straight into the pool without knowing to swim! IPL has given them a chance to at least practice with a swim ring It is left to them after that how they carry themselves... But one thing is sure Indian pacers were not bowling this good (even in tests), advent of proper wrist spinners (at least in Indian Cricket), fielding & running between the wicket, pressure-handling were not this good before IPL....
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...-players-grave

IPL Will Help WI Players – Grave

Published:Wednesday | May 22, 2019 | 12:19 AM
    Grave
    File
    Grave
    BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):

Cricket West Indies (CWI) says it does not anticipate any disruption to the squad’s preparation for the ICC World Cup due to the scheduled late arrival of key players from the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Seven players, led by talismanic vice-captain Chris Gayle, only joined up with the West Indies squad last Saturday for the pre-tournament camp at the Rose Bowl in Southampton, after completing their IPL stints.

This meant that Gayle, along with all-rounders Andre Russell and Carlos Brathwaite, batsmen Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer and Nicholas Pooran, along with fast-bowler Oshane Thomas, all missed the just-concluded Tri-Nations Series in Ireland – West Indies’ last one-day assignment before the World Cup bowls off on May 30.

But unlike several other cricket boards which opted to recall its players early from the IPL, CWI Chief Executive Johnny Grave said the Caribbean body believed the high-profile Twenty20 tournament served as adequate preparation for the World Cup.

“Playing in the IPL and playing in front of millions of people watching on TV, thousands of people in packed stands in big stadiums, many people will say that in terms of preparing for World Cup – where the eyes of the world are watching you and the stadiums in England, from my understanding will have capacity crowds for all games – some people will argue the IPL is better preparation than just sort of warming up or playing games where maybe the context and the pressure isn’t quite the same,” Grave said in a radio interview here.

“We also took the view that it was important that rather than disrupt what was happening in Ireland, we would leave that squad with real clarity that they were playing in all the games.”

The 15-man World Cup squad gathered in Southampton last weekend to begin their final preparation for the one-day showpiece, which runs until July 14.

West Indies will climax the camp with a warm-up match against defending World Cup champions Australia, before heading to Bristol where they take on South Africa on May 26 and New Zealand two days later in official warm-ups.

Grave said CWI had factored rest for the IPL players into their planning, and had also added the fixture against Australia to the schedule, to ensure that these arriving players had sufficient ODI practice in the buildup to the World Cup.

“We’ve also said to the players, ‘You’ve been in India for almost two months. We’ll let you come back into the Caribbean, come and spend a week with your family and friends and recharge’, because, again, the World Cup is no short tournament – it’s not a couple of weeks,” Grave explained.

FAIRLY CONFIDENT
    “It’s almost two months in the UK and nine internationals plus these three friendlies that we’ve got, so we’re fairly confident. One of the reasons why we lined up the extra warm-up game against Australia was to just ensure that the IPL players themselves had enough match preparation.

“Hopefully, they will be adequate for our players and, hopefully, we can sort of manage the workload and make sure everyone is in top nick, in top form, when it comes to the first game at Trent Bridge.”

There had been concern in certain quarters about the West Indies IPL players being allowed to arrive just two weeks before the side’s first game against Pakistan on May 31 in Nottingham.

Players like Russell and Lewis have not played a competitive ODI in nearly a year, while Brathwaite, who featured in the home series against England in March, played in just two matches in the IPL for Kolkata Knight Riders.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For someone who "claims" to not watch IPL, you sure have knowledge of who bowled which over to whom? Incredible skill to see it but not see it at same time

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is why performance in IPL is hard to rate. But the local standards have improved since they started. Our local bowlers used to have very little chance, now they are alright.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ms Dhoni is legend and still very good at chasing totals

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    India is at a huge disadvantage now that they have not selected Pant who makes the team 100% over Dhoni. India has a very strong top order and Pant along with Pandya was the perfect batsmen to play the hitter role. He scored brilliant 100s on his debut test tours to England and Australia. These flat wickets would have been perfect for him.

Dhoni on the other hand has very little to offer at this point. He consumes too many balls initially regardless of the batting conditions. He can be only useful if India loses top order cheaply then Dhoni can bat at snail's pace and take his team to a respectable total which in most cases will still not be defendable. Considering how flat pitches are in England, I do not see a collective top order failure happening frequently.

Kohli and Shastri have no choice left but to show their support for Dhoni who except one world cup final knock has not been a great World cup player anyways.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...-players-grave

Published:Wednesday | May 22, 2019 | 12:19 AM
    Grave
    File
    Grave
    BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC):

Cricket West Indies (CWI) says it does not anticipate any disruption to the squad’s preparation for the ICC World Cup due to the scheduled late arrival of key players from the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Seven players, led by talismanic vice-captain Chris Gayle, only joined up with the West Indies squad last Saturday for the pre-tournament camp at the Rose Bowl in Southampton, after completing their IPL stints.

This meant that Gayle, along with all-rounders Andre Russell and Carlos Brathwaite, batsmen Evin Lewis, Shimron Hetmyer and Nicholas Pooran, along with fast-bowler Oshane Thomas, all missed the just-concluded Tri-Nations Series in Ireland – West Indies’ last one-day assignment before the World Cup bowls off on May 30.

But unlike several other cricket boards which opted to recall its players early from the IPL, CWI Chief Executive Johnny Grave said the Caribbean body believed the high-profile Twenty20 tournament served as adequate preparation for the World Cup.

“Playing in the IPL and playing in front of millions of people watching on TV, thousands of people in packed stands in big stadiums, many people will say that in terms of preparing for World Cup – where the eyes of the world are watching you and the stadiums in England, from my understanding will have capacity crowds for all games – some people will argue the IPL is better preparation than just sort of warming up or playing games where maybe the context and the pressure isn’t quite the same,” Grave said in a radio interview here.

“We also took the view that it was important that rather than disrupt what was happening in Ireland, we would leave that squad with real clarity that they were playing in all the games.”

The 15-man World Cup squad gathered in Southampton last weekend to begin their final preparation for the one-day showpiece, which runs until July 14.

West Indies will climax the camp with a warm-up match against defending World Cup champions Australia, before heading to Bristol where they take on South Africa on May 26 and New Zealand two days later in official warm-ups.

Grave said CWI had factored rest for the IPL players into their planning, and had also added the fixture against Australia to the schedule, to ensure that these arriving players had sufficient ODI practice in the buildup to the World Cup.

“We’ve also said to the players, ‘You’ve been in India for almost two months. We’ll let you come back into the Caribbean, come and spend a week with your family and friends and recharge’, because, again, the World Cup is no short tournament – it’s not a couple of weeks,” Grave explained.

FAIRLY CONFIDENT
    “It’s almost two months in the UK and nine internationals plus these three friendlies that we’ve got, so we’re fairly confident. One of the reasons why we lined up the extra warm-up game against Australia was to just ensure that the IPL players themselves had enough match preparation.

“Hopefully, they will be adequate for our players and, hopefully, we can sort of manage the workload and make sure everyone is in top nick, in top form, when it comes to the first game at Trent Bridge.”

There had been concern in certain quarters about the West Indies IPL players being allowed to arrive just two weeks before the side’s first game against Pakistan on May 31 in Nottingham.

Players like Russell and Lewis have not played a competitive ODI in nearly a year, while Brathwaite, who featured in the home series against England in March, played in just two matches in the IPL for Kolkata Knight Riders.
    I am sure most teams would follow this in future... Sri Lanka desperately need something like this to resurrect their dip in quality...

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Afhan Ali View Post
    Ms Dhoni is legend and still very good at chasing totals
    We will see