Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The best spinners in the world now are Yasir, Ashwin, Lyon and Tahir.

Yasir- Very good test spinner. Performed well in UAE and considering the success of leg spinners in AUS over the years, should perform well in AUS and probably SA. Poor record in LOIs and is not even in the team even in UAE conditions. Best test bowler among all spinners.

Ashwin- Better than Yasir on turning pitches but is an average or just above average when conditions don't suit him. Matchwinner in LOIs in most conditions. Can open the bowling or bowl in death. Very canny and flexible. Best spinner when you consider all formats.

Lyon- Excellent spinner. Very intelligent. Will succeed in Asia as time goes on. Very poor LOI bowler

Tahir- Very good LOI bowler. Inconsistent in tests.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Yasir is the best test spinner in the world, Tahir is the best ODI spinner in the world and Ashwin is the best all-round spinner in the world.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'd have Ashwin ahead of Tahir in ODIS. Ashwin is a gun ODI bowler nowadays. Him n Yasir in Tests it's hard to tell until Yasir tours outside the SC.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Delhi,Bharat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    His floaters are lovely to watch.Ball swings in the air

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin will probably go down as a great all- round spinner ahead of Yasir, Tahir and Lyon.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5998 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    He is reaching the stage of his career where he is becoming untouchable. He has the experience now and has seen both the best and the worst international cricket has to offer.

The fact that he is only 29 and is about to enter his peak years is quite scary. He can easily play for another 7-8 years barring injuries.

500 Test and 400 ODI wickets are there for the taking.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Ashwin will probably go down as a great all- round spinner ahead of Yasir, Tahir and Lyon.
    Tahir and Lyon for sure but nor sure about Messi. Messi is the best of this generation.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This year will be a great test for Yasir

If he manages to average around 30 in England, NZ and Aus then he is for sure better than Ashwin. Right now it's a tie.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is reaching the stage of his career where he is becoming untouchable. He has the experience now and has seen both the best and the worst international cricket has to offer.

The fact that he is only 29 and is about to enter his peak years is quite scary. He can easily play for another 7-8 years barring injuries.

500 Test and 400 ODI wickets are there for the taking.
    So is yasir.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Terrific performance once again from Ash. Choked Bangla after that intial burst by Bumrah and Nehra. Best T20 spinner

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Tahir and Lyon for sure but nor sure about Messi. Messi is the best of this generation.
    Yasir isn't that good in odi.Ashwin wins there quite easily.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Yasir isn't that good in odi.Ashwin wins there quite easily.
    AGreed about that.

But i was only referring to test cricket where Messi is right now as good as Ashwin and has the definite potential to surpass him. I have seen dozens of leg spinners, he is special and when bhaijaan says special its special.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    How would you like to end the last leg of India’s long home season that culminates with the four-match Test series against Australia?

I’m going to look at the series as a 20-day programme. I will try to get through the 20 days. My injury concerns have been a bit of an issue. It was on the back of my mind in the last two series. Against New Zealand and England I could perform only 60-70 per cent of my potential. I’m trying to get better and put more strength on my body. Sports Hernia is something that can’t be managed easily. It’s been a big challenge for me. It takes a lot of time to warm up these days. For me, trying to phase out the 20 days is very important. I will get there in the most effective manner.
    http://www.deccanchronicle.com/sport...et-record.html

Not a good sign.

Been saying for a long time that he never bowled a spell comparable to the ones he did in WI.

Also he has been slow in the field. Maybe he always was that slow...dunno.

How bad is the Sports Hernia thing? Can it be cured completely or will it remain as always?

Also would it be better to take this year's IPL off?

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    I'd have Ashwin ahead of Tahir in ODIS. Ashwin is a gun ODI bowler nowadays. Him n Yasir in Tests it's hard to tell until Yasir tours outside the SC.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Ashwin the Test bowler is leagues ahead of Tahir the Test bowler. Tahir the LOI bowler is leagues ahead of Ashwin the LOI bowler.
    Ashwin has averaged below 29 once in the last six years.
    At home he averages 30, 45 away. That's nowhere near good enough.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    http://www.deccanchronicle.com/sport...et-record.html

Not a good sign.

Been saying for a long time that he never bowled a spell comparable to the ones he did in WI.

Also he has been slow in the field. Maybe he always was that slow...dunno.

How bad is the Sports Hernia thing? Can it be cured completely or will it remain as always?

Also would it be better to take this year's IPL off?
    Hmm, yeah not a good sign. I am not sure what a sports hernia is. Agreed, his spells against England at later stages, esp the chennai test and the one against Bangla are no where near what he bowled in SL or Bangla last year. I was certain that the flight and loop he was getting against SL and Ban in 2015 and WI, would make him a great prospect in eng and Aus. Not sure now I hope he recovers well. The next month or so is crucial.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With that injury Ashwin should skip the ipl and recover

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    Hmm, yeah not a good sign. I am not sure what a sports hernia is. Agreed, his spells against England at later stages, esp the chennai test and the one against Bangla are no where near what he bowled in SL or Bangla last year. I was certain that the flight and loop he was getting against SL and Ban in 2015 and WI, would make him a great prospect in eng and Aus. Not sure now I hope he recovers well. The next month or so is crucial.
    I can see where you are coming from.

There are 2 aspects here - accuracy and flight.

In the Bangladesh and SL tours, he exhibited of excellent accuracy with sufficient flight.

In the WI tours, he exhibited extreme mastery of flight with decent accuracy. He gave away quite a few runs but what he did there with the ball was way greater than what he did in SL and Bangladesh (from pure skills point of view).

That's why I guess he chose to mention NZ and Eng series and not before that. His flight is sufficient now but not as good as he could be.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 17th February 2017 at 21:35.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

R Ashwin confirmed to play for Worcestershire in county cricket

Four Indian players are set to feature in the county season after the Sri Lanka Test series is over. Off-spinner R Ashwin will lead the pack after he is confirmed to play for Worcestershire as he is rested for the limited-overs matches against Sri Lanka, an ESPNcricinfo report said on Monday.
    Apart from Ashwin, India fast bowler Ishant Sharma and batsman Cheteshwar Pujara are also confirmed to play the Championship. The fourth player is left-arm spinner Ravindra Jadeja but which team he will play for is yet to be confirmed. None of the four players are part of India’s squad for the ODI series and the one-off T20I match that was announced on Sunday.
    Ishant will play for Warwickshire while Pujara will continue his stint with Nottinghamshire for whom he played before the Sri Lanka series and scored a century as well. Both Ashwin and Pujara can be playing against each other when Worcestershire play Nottinghamshire beginning September 5.

http://indianexpress.com/article/spo...-4795953/lite/
    Last edited by LastManstanding; 14th August 2017 at 12:01.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Gurgaon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There were news of Kohli also playing county cricket but it is not confirmed yet whether his contract is confirmed yet.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    790 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would like to give in to my Pakistani Bias and say this first hand.....

I wish all of them fail horribly in these games !!

Regards
    Pakistani Fan

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastManstanding View Post
    There were news of Kohli also playing county cricket but it is not confirmed yet whether his contract is confirmed yet.
    He will be playing ODI'S and T20 against Srilanka, do he has no time for county cricket... Ashwin,Jadeja,Pujara and Ishant aren't playing limited overs cricket against SL.
    Aus series starts on 17 Sep.. so Kohli literally has no time to play county cricket

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post

Regards
    Pakistani Fan
    Thank you very much for the best wishes! Even if your wish comes true they would be richer experience wise by getting to play in alien conditions which would come in handy when we tour next summer..nothing to lose.

Win or lose - it is Team INDIA I choose...

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post

Regards
    Pakistani Fan
    The spin playing abilities of batsmen playing in English county is so bad that Ashwin will get wickets even if he does not want to. We have seen several English spinners getting selected to their national team based on their county cricket exploints only to be found out when they tour to the sub continent.

Pujara made runs last year too, so he will make them now to.

As for Ishant Sharma, Indian fans too would like him to fail miserably.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir shah was good but not brilliant this year in county..... will be interesting to see how Ashwin performs

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is expected to make his county debut in Division two on August 28 vs. Gloucestershire.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RHODES SWOOPS TO SIGN INDIAN STAR ASHWIN AS OVERSEAS REPLACEMENT

Worcestershire Director of Cricket Steve Rhodes has pulled off a major coup in signing top Indian spinner Ravi Ashwin for the climax of their Specsavers County Championship promotion-chasing campaign.

Ashwin, ranked the number three Test bowler in the world and number two all-rounder, will link up with the County as an overseas replacement for the injured John Hastings for the final four games.

Ashwin will be the first Indian player to play for Worcestershire since Zaheer Khan resurrected his international career after a superb season at New Road in 2006.

He has taken 286 wickets in 51 Tests, including five wickets in an innings on 26 occasions, 150 ODI wickets and 52 in T20I cricket.

Ashwin also is a force with the bat with 2,004 Test runs at an average of 32.85 with four centuries and 11 fifties and had been an opening batsman before turning to off-spin.

A delighted Rhodes said: "Ravi is a fantastic international cricketer who is currently in terrific form with his game."

"He is ranked in the top three as a bowler in Test cricket, is a wonderful all-rounder who can bat six and scores hundreds in Test cricket.

"It is unlucky for John Hastings with his injury but Ravi is a wonderful cricketer for us to have at a crucial point in our season.

"it is a really important last few games in the Championship and to have someone of his class is a huge boost for the Club.

"The good thing about Ravi is he has been successful on all types of pitches in all sorts of different countries. He is a class bowler who will bowl well here."

Ashwin also features regularly in the IPL and has played for Chennai Super Kings and Rising Pune Super Giants.

He made his Test debut against the West Indies in 2011 at Delhi and picked up nine wickets and became the fastest Indian player to 100 Test wickets.

Ashwin is currently part of the Indian team in action in Sri Lanka and in the last Test in Sri Lanka picked up 6 wickets.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    RHODES SWOOPS TO SIGN INDIAN STAR ASHWIN AS OVERSEAS REPLACEMENT

Worcestershire Director of Cricket Steve Rhodes has pulled off a major coup in signing top Indian spinner Ravi Ashwin for the climax of their Specsavers County Championship promotion-chasing campaign.

Ashwin, ranked the number three Test bowler in the world and number two all-rounder, will link up with the County as an overseas replacement for the injured John Hastings for the final four games.

Ashwin will be the first Indian player to play for Worcestershire since Zaheer Khan resurrected his international career after a superb season at New Road in 2006.

He has taken 286 wickets in 51 Tests, including five wickets in an innings on 26 occasions, 150 ODI wickets and 52 in T20I cricket.

Ashwin also is a force with the bat with 2,004 Test runs at an average of 32.85 with four centuries and 11 fifties and had been an opening batsman before turning to off-spin.

A delighted Rhodes said: "Ravi is a fantastic international cricketer who is currently in terrific form with his game."

"He is ranked in the top three as a bowler in Test cricket, is a wonderful all-rounder who can bat six and scores hundreds in Test cricket.

"It is unlucky for John Hastings with his injury but Ravi is a wonderful cricketer for us to have at a crucial point in our season.

"it is a really important last few games in the Championship and to have someone of his class is a huge boost for the Club.

"The good thing about Ravi is he has been successful on all types of pitches in all sorts of different countries. He is a class bowler who will bowl well here."

Ashwin also features regularly in the IPL and has played for Chennai Super Kings and Rising Pune Super Giants.

He made his Test debut against the West Indies in 2011 at Delhi and picked up nine wickets and became the fastest Indian player to 100 Test wickets.

Ashwin is currently part of the Indian team in action in Sri Lanka and in the last Test in Sri Lanka picked up 6 wickets.
    The beginning of the END for ASHWIN has begun... Just the way Saqlain's career went down, so will ASHWIN's for joining county cricket..

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand Zaheer Khan's career was resurrected after he joined this county team- as the news item mentions. Ashwin is not even halfway through his career. He is obviously a much better player than the one whom he replaces.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is going there to perform well for England tour. I think this stint will help him on the contrary.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    A strange player. Absolutely useless outside his comfort-zone but incredible when the battle is on his terms.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1547 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

‘Ravichandran Ashwin very much in frame for 2019 Cricket World Cup’

India declared the Sri Lanka One-day series was the start of a long tune-up for the 2019 Cricket World Cup, and their second string spinners shared seven wickets to rout the home team by nine wickets in the first match in Dambulla on Sunday.

While India continued their total domination in Sri Lanka, skipper Virat Kohli spoke about plans to try out players in different roles and all eyes were on former skipper MS Dhoni.

However, one question that had not been answered was what role the Indian team management saw for its main spinner, Ravichandran Ashwin, in the build-up to the premier tournament.

The 2019 Cricket World Cup will be played in England and Wales, where seamers would fancy their chances more. And though the 2013 and 2017 ICC Champions Trophy editions saw good batting surfaces, it still left many wondering where India’s premier bowler fitted in the scheme of things.

Key wicket-takers

The national selectors had not picked Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, who had together claimed 30 wickets in the 3-0 Test series sweep ahead of the ODI series -- four others shared 25 scalps. Ashwin packed his bags to play in the English County, and get used to conditions as India are due to play a Test series there next year.

In the current squad, the off-spin duties are being handled by Kedar Jadhav, the part-timer who is primarily in the squad for his power-hitting prowess.

India’s bowling coach, Bharat Arun, however, said Ashwin was very much part of the long-term plans as India prepare for the event. This, despite Ashwin making only sporadic appearances in the ODI squad.

It will be a major move if the Indian think-tank is looking beyond the spinner, but Ashwin played only three matches in the ICC Champions Trophy, and took just one wicket against South Africa. He played in the defeat against Pakistan in the final, but returned wicketless giving away 70 runs.

‘Extremely talented bowler’

Bharat Arun though chose to look at Ashwin’s last ODI game – 3/28 in the West Indies where he played in the first three matches.

“To be very honest, this is a question you should be asking the selector,” he said when asked about Ashwin’s infrequent ODIs.

“But yes, as a bowling coach, he is an extremely talented bowler. Even if you look at the last one-day which he played in the West Indies, he got 3/25. Ashwin is very, very skilful. That’s it, I’ve answered your question.”

But what about Ashwin not regularly featuring in ODIs?

“I don’t want to see what has happened so far. But what I would like to see is yes, Ashwin is also part of the team we are looking at. We are also looking at giving opportunities to other bowlers. And then we have a long-term plan in place, we would work accordingly.”

Record away from the sub-continent

Ashwin’s record away from the sub-continent, in Australia, England and South Africa has not been great. And from purely the team’s point of view, while it has wrist-spin options in leggie Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav, there is hardly any back-up off-spinner of quality at the moment.

Arun said: “Why only off-spinner, we will need to have back-up options for every bowler that we have. And there are enough bowlers in our country to provide that bench strength.”

The Indian team though is in search of a left-arm pace bowler to provide a crucial variation.

“Left-arm fast bowling, yes, we are looking. If we can get even one good left-arm fast bowler, it will go well for the side,” said Arun.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...b2EgxPDEP.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    A strange player. Absolutely useless outside his comfort-zone but incredible when the battle is on his terms.
    It is an inherent limitation of finger spin. Not anything unique to Ashwin.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashwin got 5-68 for Worcestershire.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8 wicket match haul in his county debut for worcs.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ashwin gets another fifer in County

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8...sion-Two-2017/

He also hit 82 in the first innings and helped Worcestershire win the Div 2 championship.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    He's playing for Moeen Ali's county? @shaz619? They probably did not get to play together, I'm sure.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    He's playing for Moeen Ali's county? @shaz619? They probably did not get to play together, I'm sure.
    Yeah it's the beard's county and no they've not played alongside each other at the moment, Mo has had a very busy summer. It's poetic that the two west midlands rivals swap places between division 1 and 2 my team is being relegated for the first time in a decade while Mo's team will gain promotion to division one for the first time since 2015, Worcester often spend most of their time in division 2 and even when they do get promoted it's usually short lived. Was looking forward to the west midlands derby but we've had a terrible season this year.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    214 runs at avg of 42.8 and 20 wickets at avg of 29.15 in 4 matches.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ashwin is million dollars in any format..

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    ashwin is million dollars in any format..
    Only if you're talking about Zimbabwean dollars. The guy has been in the team for 7 years and still is one of the most hopeless travelers outside Asia. An Asian track legend and that too in Tests only.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Proactive_ View Post
    Only if you're talking about Zimbabwean dollars. The guy has been in the team for 7 years and still is one of the most hopeless travelers outside Asia. An Asian track legend and that too in Tests only.
    he hasn,t played much outside asia n tests but he has reasonably well there...coming tours will decide where he stands,,

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Only if ICC rankings listened to you.Or may be the IPL teams who literally pay him more than a million dollars.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Only if ICC rankings listened to you.Or may be the IPL teams who literally pay him more than a million dollars.
    IPL teams also pay millions for someone like Tymal Mills so I don't know what's your point here. Also, Ashwin wasn't even in Top 10 in Tests when the last cycle of tough overseas series ended. Let's not even talk about ODIs where he was never a big name to begin with.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Average of 29? Hmm, nothing special.

Home matches. Let him bowl in South Africa and England again. Who cares about his IPL earnings?

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home matches. Let him bowl in South Africa and England again. Who cares about his IPL earnings?
    Yes, nothing special. Not too bad either with 2 5-fers in 4 matches. He should play more and hopefully use this experience in test matches in Eng, SA and Aus.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlizeeFan View Post
    Yes, nothing special. Not too bad either with 2 5-fers in 4 matches. He should play more and hopefully use this experience in test matches in Eng, SA and Aus.
    Yes. It's been a decent time for him with the ball but an average of 40+ with bat is quite good.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    IPL teams also pay millions for someone like Tymal Mills so I don't know what's your point here. Also, Ashwin wasn't even in Top 10 in Tests when the last cycle of tough overseas series ended. Let's not even talk about ODIs where he was never a big name to begin with.
    Tymal mills can bowl 150ks and is a good T20 bowler.

Ashwin didnot play much in overseas test.

Ashwin has close to 300 test wickets @ 25.He is still ranked among top 3 in tests.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

The world cares about IPL earnings thats why everyone lines up to play in it.

He will play in Eng or SA when India play there.He may not even play considering India has Jadeja and now Kuldeep.Tough selection choices you see.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The world cares about IPL earnings thats why everyone lines up to play in it.

He will play in Eng or SA when India play there.He may not even play considering India has Jadeja and now Kuldeep.Tough selection choices you see.
    Everyone? You mean the players. What does Ashwin's earnings have to do with you? Does he give you a single rupee from what he earns? Yeah, didn't think so.

I'm only considered about his cricketing performances and like you said, he's such a non-factor overseas that he's probably not going to play tests in England and South Africa.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Everyone? You mean the players. What does Ashwin's earnings have to do with you? Does he give you a single rupee from what he earns? Yeah, didn't think so.

I'm only considered about his cricketing performances and like you said, he's such a non-factor overseas that he's probably not going to play tests in England and South Africa.
    Well by gods grace even if i dont do anything i wont have to ask anyone for money to sustain myself.Why will i ask Ashwin?But ofcourse IPL money matters to the players around the world.

When did i say he is a non factor?When the team has 3 world class non chucking spinners its hard to select one.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Well by gods grace even if i dont do anything i wont have to ask anyone for money to sustain myself.Why will i ask Ashwin?But ofcourse IPL money matters to the players around the world.

When did i say he is a non factor?When the team has 3 world class non chucking spinners its hard to select one.
    Ashwin's money is important to Ashwin but has nothing to do with you. I don't see why you have to bring up the million dollars he earned in his own country's T20 league as if it is some sort of award. Talk about his cricket.

Jadeja and Kuldeep are hardly world class. Decent spinners and good all-rounders but If Ashwin cannot get into the team over these two, it's a sad state of affairs.

Yasir Shah, Saeed Ajmal, Graeme Swann and Rangana Herath never had their status as the #1 spinner in their respective teams questioned. If Ashwin isn't even the best from his own team, he's no match for Shah.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Ashwin's money is important to Ashwin but has nothing to do with you. I don't see why you have to bring up the million dollars he earned in his own country's T20 league as if it is some sort of award. Talk about his cricket.

Jadeja and Kuldeep are hardly world class. Decent spinners and good all-rounders but If Ashwin cannot get into the team over these two, it's a sad state of affairs.

Yasir Shah, Saeed Ajmal, Graeme Swann and Rangana Herath never had their status as the #1 spinner in their respective teams questioned. If Ashwin isn't even the best from his own team, he's no match for Shah.
    Money paid for your services most often than not reveal your competency.

Jadeja is the highest rank spinner in the world.Higher than Yasir or Herath.I am not counting Ajmal as we are talking about bowlers here.

Its not Ashwins fault that India has 3 world class spinners at present.Neither its his fault that other nations dont produce 2-3 world class spinners at a time.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This statement does not have any meaning. If two great bowlers are playing together it does not mean being second in your own team ensures you can not be better than players of other teams.
    Anyway ashwin is better than both and jadeja is decent only in your eyes whereas he has proved himself even in foreign conditions(nz and sa) decent in eng.
    Shah vs ashwin i feel will go down same way as sachin vs lara with no clear winner among neutrals while their supporters saying them to be better than other.
    Yasir has done well in eng only where the conditions suited him. In aus ashwin though poor was better than him with atleast doing good containing job.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is no match for Shah yet averages better than Shah in almost every country except WI.

Shah averaged 38 in county this year with the ball.

Only 2 posters in this forum will have such absurd logic.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is no match for Shah yet averages better than Shah in almost every country except WI.

Shah averaged 38 in county this year with the ball.

Only 2 posters in this forum will have such absurd logic.
    Two?

Can you post Shah's performance in county?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

How much did Yasir Shah avg in county this year?

@AlizeeFan

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Two?

Can you post Shah's performance in county?
    Others may rate those 2 spinners according to their own criteria but there are 2 posters who will keep spouting whatever they want to spout disregarding all facts, stats, context.

Yasir Shah's county performance can be seen in his cricinfo page - http://www.espncricinfo.com/India/co...yer/43685.html

It shows his recent game performances including before and after county. SO I am assuming he played only those 3 games this year.

14 wickets in 3 games at an average of 38. If you exclude the batting paradise game, he averages 36.

Scored runs at an average of 43 though. Saved a test for his side with his batting.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Obviously Shah's numbers are not going to look incredible because leggies tend to go for runs but it's moronic to look at his performances out of context because he's Pakistan's biggest match winner. Shah has won Tests matches for his country all around the world including England, West Indies and Lanka.

Ashwin averages 33 in England but he took 3 wickets. Shah on the other hand averages 40 but he took 19 wickets and helped his country win two tests in England. So numbers don't always tell the story when it comes to impact. I'd always pick Shah over Ashwin across all conditions because he's more likely to win a Test match for me. But obviously Indians will never look at it from that POV because stats are the be and end all when it comes to judging players.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And what exactly is world class acc. To you my friend, kuldeep has just started his career and for a wrist spinner has shown good control, also he isn't scared of getting hit and isn't afraid to toss the ball up.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much did Yasir Shah avg in county this year?

@AlizeeFan
    http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Pl...g_by_Team.html

It shows he has picked up 14 wickets for Kent at avg of 38.

He played 3 matches for them.

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Sc...3/1013727.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Sc...3/1013734.html

http://cricketarchive.com/Archive/Sc...3/1013741.html

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    India declared the Sri Lanka One-day series was the start of a long tune-up for the 2019 Cricket World Cup, and their second string spinners shared seven wickets to rout the home team by nine wickets in the first match in Dambulla on Sunday.

While India continued their total domination in Sri Lanka, skipper Virat Kohli spoke about plans to try out players in different roles and all eyes were on former skipper MS Dhoni.

However, one question that had not been answered was what role the Indian team management saw for its main spinner, Ravichandran Ashwin, in the build-up to the premier tournament.

The 2019 Cricket World Cup will be played in England and Wales, where seamers would fancy their chances more. And though the 2013 and 2017 ICC Champions Trophy editions saw good batting surfaces, it still left many wondering where India’s premier bowler fitted in the scheme of things.

Key wicket-takers

The national selectors had not picked Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja, who had together claimed 30 wickets in the 3-0 Test series sweep ahead of the ODI series -- four others shared 25 scalps. Ashwin packed his bags to play in the English County, and get used to conditions as India are due to play a Test series there next year.

In the current squad, the off-spin duties are being handled by Kedar Jadhav, the part-timer who is primarily in the squad for his power-hitting prowess.

India’s bowling coach, Bharat Arun, however, said Ashwin was very much part of the long-term plans as India prepare for the event. This, despite Ashwin making only sporadic appearances in the ODI squad.

It will be a major move if the Indian think-tank is looking beyond the spinner, but Ashwin played only three matches in the ICC Champions Trophy, and took just one wicket against South Africa. He played in the defeat against Pakistan in the final, but returned wicketless giving away 70 runs.

‘Extremely talented bowler’

Bharat Arun though chose to look at Ashwin’s last ODI game – 3/28 in the West Indies where he played in the first three matches.

“To be very honest, this is a question you should be asking the selector,” he said when asked about Ashwin’s infrequent ODIs.

“But yes, as a bowling coach, he is an extremely talented bowler. Even if you look at the last one-day which he played in the West Indies, he got 3/25. Ashwin is very, very skilful. That’s it, I’ve answered your question.”

But what about Ashwin not regularly featuring in ODIs?

“I don’t want to see what has happened so far. But what I would like to see is yes, Ashwin is also part of the team we are looking at. We are also looking at giving opportunities to other bowlers. And then we have a long-term plan in place, we would work accordingly.”

Record away from the sub-continent

Ashwin’s record away from the sub-continent, in Australia, England and South Africa has not been great. And from purely the team’s point of view, while it has wrist-spin options in leggie Yuzvendra Chahal and Kuldeep Yadav, there is hardly any back-up off-spinner of quality at the moment.

Arun said: “Why only off-spinner, we will need to have back-up options for every bowler that we have. And there are enough bowlers in our country to provide that bench strength.”

The Indian team though is in search of a left-arm pace bowler to provide a crucial variation.

“Left-arm fast bowling, yes, we are looking. If we can get even one good left-arm fast bowler, it will go well for the side,” said Arun.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...b2EgxPDEP.html
    I'll back Washington sundar to do well, he is tall and looks like a classical off spinner a very good bat as well more importantly very young and pretty good fielder as well.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Ashwin vs Shah

In AUS: Both have been terrible
    In Bangladesh: Great tour for Ashwin, average for Shah
    In NZ: Barely any sample for both bowlers
    In Lanka: Both have been excellent
    In West Indies: Both have been excellent
    In UAE/India: Both have been excellent on their respect 'home' turfs
    In South Africa: Not enough sample for either players
    In England: Ashwin was average, Shah's numbers not great on paper but he helped Pakistan win two tests.

So Shah has the edge for me because of his match winning performances in England outside the 2 tests where he did not fire, the thing with Shah is; doesn't matter where we are, if he fires Pakistan win. And am not sure but it has also been said that Ashwin has been dropped in the past for some key away games, that doesn't do his pedigree away as much justice but perhaps he will have an opportunity to prove us wrong in that regard soon enough.

Both are very good bowlers but I prefer Shah and believe he is better at the moment, but it's not by a lot because he still needs to prove himself moving forward.
    Last edited by shaz619; 30th September 2017 at 17:07.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Context means taking into account every factor. Not looking at it from the surface.

All indian fans said was Ashwin didnt play enough in england to judge accurately. He bowled in just 2 innings (first innings) and in one of them (where both played in the same ground) took 3 wickets as opposed to yasir going wicketless in the first innings.

If yasir is miles better then why is his performance vastly inferior to ash in county where both got fair chances?

Also in australia, ashwin averaged much better. In fact in the games he and lyon played, they both averaged the same. Only one small difference.... Lyon bowled alongside Starc
    , Hazlewood, Ryan harris and siddle who had india fighting for a draw in 2 games while ashwin bowled alongside sprayguns who were leaking runs at 4-6 rpo. Yet stats are similar.

In recent times, ashwin and lyon averaged same in india. Lyon was the better bowler but again one small difference. Ashwin was bowling with an injury that was so bad he had to miss ipl. Plus had announced about his problems well before the series which was published in aussie websites , pulled out of tn ranji game citing the same. And yet he was able to deliver 2 killer blows (2nd and 4th test) when it mattered to clinch india the series whereas Lyon had the perfect opportunity in bangalore 2nd innings but blew it.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 30th September 2017 at 17:11.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Context means taking into account every factor. Not looking at it from the surface.

All indian fans said was Ashwin didnt play enough in england to judge accurately. He bowled in just 2 innings (first innings) and in one of them (where both played in the same ground) took 3 wickets as opposed to yasir going wicketless in the first innings.

If yasir is miles better then why is his performance vastly inferior to ash in county where both got fair chances?

Also in australia, ashwin averaged much better. In fact in the games he and lyon played, they both averaged the same. Only one small difference.... Lyon bowled alongside Starc
    , Hazlewood, Ryan harris and siddle who had india fighting for a draw in 2 games while ashwin bowled alongside sprayguns who were leaking runs at 4-6 rpo. Yet stats are similar.

In recent times, ashwin and lyon averaged same in india. Lyon was the better bowler but again one small difference. Ashwin was bowling with an injury that was so bad he had to miss ipl. Plus had announced about his problems well before the series which was published in aussie websites , pulled out of tn ranji game citing the same. And yet he was able to deliver 2 killer blows (2nd and 4th test) when it mattered to clinch india the series whereas Lyon had the perfect opportunity in bangalore 2nd innings but blew it.
    The best thing is how people are ready to write off kohli performances saying when he has scored outside of india calling pitches flat but when yasir shah took 2 5fers on lords no one sees how much pitch supported him there.
    Ashwin can never be ahead than him just like kohli can not be the best batsmen.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    These Indians want to advocate Ashwins grestness in England based on some division 2 domestic games lmao Only a big fool would do so and overlook Yasir winning two Tests for pak in England
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 1st October 2017 at 21:02.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    They will now go to domestic games because Ashwin was average when he bowled in England and it must be Yasir Shahs fault that he is not trusted to bowl on unfavourable wickets more often

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is a rank turner bully, the most overly rated spinner in cricket history. He is not even on Monty Panesars level tbh a mentally weak cricketer who lacks heart when conditions are tough, that is ashwins legacy
    Last edited by shaz619; 1st October 2017 at 21:06.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    None of them have enough samples to call it one way or the other. Dhoni as a captain that had defensive mentality when he toured overseas. Kohli is a different kind of test captain. Ashwin is one of the most intelligent cricketer around. He will find a way when he gets a run. Wrist spinners always have better chances against teams like England unless you are a freak like Murali. But Ashwin has five different deliveries . He also has a proper leg spin in his armory.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    In regards to analysing Ashwin's performances in England so always find this logic - that Ashwin hasn't played enough games in England to be judged accurately - frankly stupid.

The reason why Ashwin hasn't played enough games in England for India in test cricket is purely because his own team management deemed him as not good enough to make an impact. In essence, his own coaches at the time and to be honest most followers of the game, didn't think that his game at the time was good enough to make a positive contribution on pitches which are not always conducive to his bowling

So in effect by saving him from these matches, the Indian team management likely saved him from phaintys esp when India did lose most of those games handsomely anyway.

So it's ludicrous to suggest that if Ashwin had 2-3 more Test matches in England he would have also had a few match winning spells like Yasir Shah did in 2016 tour.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    These Indians want to advocate Ashwins grestness in England based on some division 2 domestic games lmao Only a big fool would do so and overlook Yasir winning two Tests for pak in England
    Asides from the obvious fact that Ashwin is playing on pitches with 3-4 months of cricket already played on them. Obviously a pitch near the fag end of the county season WILL be more conducive to spinners as opposed to pitches early on.

Obv doesn't discount that fact Ashwin is probably learning a lot in this spell and may benefit him next year greatly. But a simple average to average comparison is laughable

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His test is these overseas tours. He has to perform better. He shown he can do on pitches that don't favour him but that was in India.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    In regards to analysing Ashwin's performances in England so always find this logic - that Ashwin hasn't played enough games in England to be judged accurately - frankly stupid.

The reason why Ashwin hasn't played enough games in England for India in test cricket is purely because his own team management deemed him as not good enough to make an impact. In essence, his own coaches at the time and to be honest most followers of the game, didn't think that his game at the time was good enough to make a positive contribution on pitches which are not always conducive to his bowling

So in effect by saving him from these matches, the Indian team management likely saved him from phaintys esp when India did lose most of those games handsomely anyway.

So it's ludicrous to suggest that if Ashwin had 2-3 more Test matches in England he would have also had a few match winning spells like Yasir Shah did in 2016 tour.
    You do realise that his competitor in the Indian team is also a top 3 ranked test spinner.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    You do realise that his competitor in the Indian team is also a top 3 ranked test spinner.
    He wasn't at the time.

Stop rewriting history

Also don't think even Jadeja's most ardent fan would claim that outside Asia Jadeja is comparable to Ashwin

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    People are going round and round instead of looking at the simple point.

It's fair to say Ashwin wasn't all that great in the last overseas cycle. The discussion isn't about whether Ashwin would have got a lot of wickets in the overseas cycle. No one says yes.

The recent discussion was about comparison of these 2 spinners.

Question 1 - Ashwin who was SO hopeless that he had to be dropped by India for England tour...why did he outperform Yasir in the innings BOTH played in the same grounds in England? Ashwin bowled only in first innings in Oval and he bowled in manchester. Check yasir's numbers in both grounds. I would ignore Manchester even though it makes Yasir look worse cos the tracks were different.

Question 2 - Why did he outperform Yasir in Aus?

As for county, if we look deep into the fact that Ashwin played at the fag end of the season, it's only fair that we look into the pitches both Yasir and Ash bowled outside Asia.

Just go to statsguru and see Yasir's average if he was put in the SAME spot as Ashwin.

Test series in Aus.
    Played in Oval and Manchester in England.

Calculate his average and strike rate.

You know what's the number?

Ashwin's average is 52 with 93 SR (economy is 3.33)
    Yasir's average is 76 with 109 SR (economy is 4.17)

One small problem here: Ashwin has played 6 tests in Aus while Yasir played only 3. If Yasir played 6, who knows what his averages would be? It could be better or it could be a LOT worse.

Both are good spinners with strengths and weaknesses but the whole Yasir has done a lot more than Ash is a half truth. Also the fact that Yasir's numbers in pitches with bounce and little to no movement makes him unselectable. He is better than Ash in some pitches for sure but not better in a whole lot of other pitches.

Context is a double edged sword.

With that I close out this topic from my end.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 2nd October 2017 at 00:31.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Asides from the obvious fact that Ashwin is playing on pitches with 3-4 months of cricket already played on them. Obviously a pitch near the fag end of the county season WILL be more conducive to spinners as opposed to pitches early on.

Obv doesn't discount that fact Ashwin is probably learning a lot in this spell and may benefit him next year greatly. But a simple average to average comparison is laughable
    And the new drainage systems for those wickets is also more conductive for spin bowling here in England in addition to the scrapping off a toss with regards to away games, teams are not quick to prepare green tops these days either and spinners are generally encouraged a lot more. Anyway, I find it amusing that domestic games are going to be used as a metric now; it's basically Ashwin fans desperately clutching at straws to sugar coat his average performance the last time he was here, his performance was not awful but folk are going on like he made the best out the opportunities that were given to him whilst winning Tests for his country on flat surfaces, it's not like Yasir had decades of experience bowling in England prior to the first Test during the 2016 series.

And stats do not always tell the whole story but here is one for the Indians, in 132 years of Test cricket at Lord’s, only two leg-spinners have claimed a ten-wicket haul. First was Doug Wright’s 10/175 vs SA in 1947, second is Shah against England in 2016 on a completely flat wicket. In addition, Yasir Shah’s 10 wickets are the most by an Asian bowler at Lord’s in a single Test match.

Then he'd help his team at the Oval as well to square the series, fact is; his numbers may not look spectacular but when Yasir fires, Pakistan win. And I'd take him as it stands over Ashwin any part of the world even Australia due to his impact quality despite the fact that Ashwin's 54 average down under is often talked up as a monumental feat of unforeseen greatness in the history of cricket
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd October 2017 at 01:40.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    And the new drainage systems for those wickets is also more conductive for spin bowling here in England in addition to the scrapping off a toss with regards to away games, teams are not quick to prepare green tops these days either and spinners are generally encouraged a lot more. Anyway, I find it amusing that domestic games are going to be used as a metric now; it's basically Ashwin fans desperately clutching at straws to sugar coat his average performance the last time he was here, his performance was not awful but folk are going on like he made the best out the opportunities that were given to him whilst winning Tests for his country on flat surfaces, it's not like Yasir had decades of experience bowling in England prior to the first Test during the 2016 series.

And stats do not always tell the whole story but here is one for the Indians, in 132 years of Test cricket at Lord’s, only two leg-spinners have claimed a ten-wicket haul. First was Doug Wright’s 10/175 vs SA in 1947, second is Shah against England in 2016 on a completely flat wicket. In addition, Yasir Shah’s 10 wickets are the most by an Asian bowler at Lord’s in a single Test match.

Then he'd help his team at the Oval as well to square the series, fact is; his numbers may not look spectacular but when Yasir fires, Pakistan win. And I'd take him as it stands over Ashwin any part of the world even Australia due to his impact quality despite the fact that Ashwin's 54 average down under is often talked up as a monumental feat of unforeseen greatness in the history of cricket
    54.71*

Apologies @Red Devil
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd October 2017 at 01:41.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    54.71*

Apologies @Red Devil
    Pray, what is Yasir's average in Australia and England?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    People are going round and round instead of looking at the simple point.

It's fair to say Ashwin wasn't all that great in the last overseas cycle. The discussion isn't about whether Ashwin would have got a lot of wickets in the overseas cycle. No one says yes.

The recent discussion was about comparison of these 2 spinners.

Question 1 - Ashwin who was SO hopeless that he had to be dropped by India for England tour...why did he outperform Yasir in the innings BOTH played in the same grounds in England? Ashwin bowled only in first innings in Oval and he bowled in manchester. Check yasir's numbers in both grounds. I would ignore Manchester even though it makes Yasir look worse cos the tracks were different.

Question 2 - Why did he outperform Yasir in Aus?

As for county, if we look deep into the fact that Ashwin played at the fag end of the season, it's only fair that we look into the pitches both Yasir and Ash bowled outside Asia.

Just go to statsguru and see Yasir's average if he was put in the SAME spot as Ashwin.

Test series in Aus.
    Played in Oval and Manchester in England.

Calculate his average and strike rate.

You know what's the number?

Ashwin's average is 52 with 93 SR (economy is 3.33)
    Yasir's average is 76 with 109 SR (economy is 4.17)

One small problem here: Ashwin has played 6 tests in Aus while Yasir played only 3. If Yasir played 6, who knows what his averages would be? It could be better or it could be a LOT worse.

Both are good spinners with strengths and weaknesses but the whole Yasir has done a lot more than Ash is a half truth. Also the fact that Yasir's numbers in pitches with bounce and little to no movement makes him unselectable. He is better than Ash in some pitches for sure but not better in a whole lot of other pitches.

Context is a double edged sword.

With that I close out this topic from my end.
    Just a point I missed out adding.

I am sure most fans would see the crazy impact Yasir had in England with 2 5fers and 1 4fer. It is a BIG deal and one can't say Ashwin would replicate the same. So one can see where the difference of view arises.

Point is when comparing, we have to look at everything and judge based on that. Not take a single fact where both didn't get chances and decide based on that.

Also Ashwin's exclusion from team in 2014 was because of a lot more "OTHER" factors going on. I don't think that is relevant to this discussion but it's the truth nonetheless. If people think that Ashwin wouldn't have bowled us to victory in Lord's 2014 on a turner against lefties in the England lineup, then they really aren't looking at the situation for what it really is.

That is why we let things play out the full course and judge.

The way Jaddu is bowling these days...who knows he may be better than both.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Pray, what is Yasir's average in Australia and England?
    Won two tests on his England debut including 1 on a completely flat pitch but was terrible in those 3 Australian tests, his record there is not glorified but Aswhin fans would have you believe their man won Tests for India down under Rank Turner Ravi is lethal when conditions are favourable though
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd October 2017 at 01:41.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I seriously can't believe the hype behind this guy. Jadeja is miles better than him on any surface that isn't a mud pit. Nobody ever rated him as an ODI bowler to begin with, at which the likes of Tahir and even Narine are miles better. Just how did the Indian propaganda machine get behind this guy? He's the epitome of mediocrity.