Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Won two tests on his England debut including 1 on a completely flat pitch but was terrible in those 3 Australian tests, his record there is not glorified but Aswhin fans would have you believe their man won Tests for India down under Rank Turner Ravi is lethal when conditions are favourable though
    You still didn't answer my question....what were the averages?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd October 2017 at 01:42.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4652 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    You're too challenged like the rest of team blue to understand cricket beyond averages , that's why you value pitter patter mediocrity rather then impact quality which results in Test victories.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Shah won his team two test matches in a single series in England. Ashwin won't accomplish a feat like this over the course of his entire career. Shah > Ashwin

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    You're too challenged like the rest of team blue to understand cricket beyond averages , that's why you value pitter patter mediocrity rather then impact quality which results in Test victories.
    The only averages that don't matter are the ones that expose Kohli's horrendously poor record against the moving ball or the fact that Bradman is comfortably the best batsman of all time.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    He wasn't at the time.

Stop rewriting history

Also don't think even Jadeja's most ardent fan would claim that outside Asia Jadeja is comparable to Ashwin
    He was.He took a 6fer in SA before the England tour which is why he played in England.And indian ex cricketers believe Jadeja is as good as Ashwin.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    How much did Yasir Shah avg in county this year?

@AlizeeFan
    Moot point. No one is going around claiming that Yasir was spectacular in his county stint. He's won international games in England, Ashwin will never replicate that.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Money paid for your services most often than not reveal your competency.

Jadeja is the highest rank spinner in the world.Higher than Yasir or Herath.I am not counting Ajmal as we are talking about bowlers here.

Its not Ashwins fault that India has 3 world class spinners at present.Neither its his fault that other nations dont produce 2-3 world class spinners at a time.
    Yes, but the IPL does not pay cricketers based on their cricketing skill alone.

Jadeja's ranking is irrelevant. Him and Ashwin have feasted on tailor-made pitches in the longest home season in recent history, which is compounded by the fact that their only away tours have been to Sri Lanka and West Indies. Jadeja is a better overseas spinner than Ashwin, however. Ajmal, Yasir, Herath and Swann are/were all complete spinners and better than Jadeja and Ashwin.

Kuldeep has less than 10 games under his belt. If Ashwin cannot hold onto his place against the competition brought about by a rookie, then that shows you that he isn't world class. Shadab Khan is the most promising spinner in the world but Shah's spot as our leading spinner will never be in doubt until he regresses because he operates at such a high level.

In essence, Ashwin is nothing more than a Kumble or Harbhajjan. A great spinner in India and Asia but horrendous outside his comfort zone. Yasir, meanwhile, is a Warne-lite.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Ravichandran Ashwin: India spinner to rejoin Worcestershire for two games

India spinner Ravichandran Ashwin will rejoin Worcestershire for their final two County Championship matches.

The 31-year-old, who has played 58 Tests, will return to New Road for Division One games against Essex and Yorkshire in September.

He took 20 wickets in four games to help the Pears win promotion to the top flight last season.

"Ashwin is world class and he loved it at Worcestershire" head coach Kevin Sharp told the club website.

"Conversations have been ongoing about him coming back and I'm sure he will be a great fillip for us."

Ashwin is in the India squad for the forthcoming five-Test series against England, which starts at Edgbaston on 1 August. and is due to end on 11 September.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/44924217

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A proud day for Ashwin. 60/4 on day 1. It was without a doubt his most impressive spell till date outside the SC in a major nation.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely loved his seamup delivery. English batsmen didnt have a clue. He delivered it beautifully.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His delivery to get Cook was a beauty.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracker to get rid of Cook. Exceeded expectations today

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowled like a man possessed, probably still annoyed about being dropped from the ODI side.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Cracker to get rid of Cook. Exceeded expectations today
    Saw that in highlights. It was a good delivery specially so early in inning. I recon Indians missed a trick by not playing another spinner. I think Eng would have been in even bigger trouble.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is an improved Test bowler. He showed that improvement earlier this year in SA. Only due to Indian butterfingered fielders did he not get 5+ wickets in the second Test. He has started of well in this series as well. I just hope that our fielders take the catches and the fast bowlers take wickets with the new ball. Very important for the spinners to have good fast bowlers taking wickets at the top especially outside subcontinent.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the delivery to broad is a new delivery he has added into his armory,it looked like a seam up away swinging delivery to right hander floated in or swinging into lefty of air, so he has off spin, leg spin, carrom ball, skidder, slider, top spinner, undercut and now the seam up delivery plus now he is putting his body behind the body to get more revs and actually looking to flight the ball and vary his pace, he was deffo hurt from odi drop, but it was the threat of being dropped from test side that made him work hard on his bowling and add new variations.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Absolutely loved his seamup delivery. English batsmen didnt have a clue. He delivered it beautifully.
    Which is why I feel he will be handy even in overcast conditions, he will get turn because now he his putting a lot more revs on ball, but that seam up delivery will swing more in overcast conditions.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to see a finger spinner doing well. Ashwin has far more variations than any spinner. Sometimes it hurts him. But overall it will help him in good stead given that he is getting exposed a lot in the IPL.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful bowling by him yesterday. Bowled tight with no unnecessary variations.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Good to see a finger spinner doing well. Ashwin has far more variations than any spinner. Sometimes it hurts him. But overall it will help him in good stead given that he is getting exposed a lot in the IPL.
    I can count 9
    Off spin
    Legspin
    Carom ball
    Drifter
    Floater
    Slider
    Seam up
    Top spinner
    Arm ball
    Plus he is working on Flipper as well good knows how many deliveries he wants to add

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Plus the good thing is he is using his natural variation more frequently that is off spin while putting his body behind and bowling slower through the air with more revs that is enticing batsmen into false strokes with his variations and varying his pace in between.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Ashwin ends up taking say 20+ wickets in 5 tests at under 30, then without a doubt he ll be in the world cup squad..Whether that will be a good thing or bad, is open for discussion though

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    If Ashwin ends up taking say 20+ wickets in 5 tests at under 30, then without a doubt he ll be in the world cup squad..Whether that will be a good thing or bad, is open for discussion though
    His bowling revolves around confidence. But in limited overs he is struggling now since when batsmen take chances against him. Once they click Ashwin loses his confidence.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Your bhaijaan is not a fan of 2 wrist spinners s. Too aggressive. He prefers a leggie and Ashwin tk hold things tight.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    I think the delivery to broad is a new delivery he has added into his armory,it looked like a seam up away swinging delivery to right hander floated in or swinging into lefty of air, so he has off spin, leg spin, carrom ball, skidder, slider, top spinner, undercut and now the seam up delivery plus now he is putting his body behind the body to get more revs and actually looking to flight the ball and vary his pace, he was deffo hurt from odi drop, but it was the threat of being dropped from test side that made him work hard on his bowling and add new variations.
    It was the arm ball. But what was impressive about it was how it skidded on

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good start to the series. Always rated him higher than Jadeja. Happy for him that he finally performed overseas . Always had the ability.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am very intrigued by the outswinging delivery. How did he do it? Which other spinner does it. I have never seen a spinner bowl such a delivery...though I don't watch that much cricket to be honest...

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oligochaetes View Post
    I am very intrigued by the outswinging delivery. How did he do it? Which other spinner does it. I have never seen a spinner bowl such a delivery...though I don't watch that much cricket to be honest...
    He learnt it from Mujeeb during the IPL. Mujeeb bowls this delivery.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He learnt it from Mujeeb during the IPL. Mujeeb bowls this delivery.
    He is working on Flipper as well

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Has already started to redeem himself away from Asia and WI. Was above average in SA but showed some very good progress.

Can he pick a 5-er tomorrow and help us win the test? Some turn, some guile - all working well for him so far.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    Has already started to redeem himself away from Asia and WI. Was above average in SA but showed some very good progress.

Can he pick a 5-er tomorrow and help us win the test? Some turn, some guile - all working well for him so far.
    One more spinner would have helped him a lot here. Need to get rid of useless Pandya, believe in Ashwin's batting abilities and pick Kuldeep for the next test. Tighten the screws from both ends and watch them do a naagin dance all over the crease on indian spin bowling.

Or if shastri still loves Pandya he can kick Umesh out of the next test and bring Kuldeep as his replacement.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oligochaetes View Post
    He is a quick learner. I won't be surprised if he learns Reverse Swing too. Just need a session or two with waqar/wasim.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    His batting aside, so far, he's had a pathetic English tour.

Moeen Ali has bowled way better than him.

As it's been said countless time: both him and Jadeja have filled their boots thanks to 'doctored*' Indian tracks. As soon as he comes out: he is exposed.

*Just bowl a good line and doctored pitch does everything.

PS: What's up with skinny fat body. Must lose some kgs asap
    Last edited by WhenSultansBowled; 3rd September 2018 at 00:48.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    His batting aside, so far, he's had a pathetic English tour.

Moeen Ali has bowled way better than him.

As it's been said countless time: both him and Jadeja have filled their boots thanks to 'doctored*' Indian tracks. As soon as he comes out: he is exposed.

*Just bowl a good line and doctored pitch does everything.

PS: What's up with skinny fat body. Must lose some kgs asap
    Only Mamoon hypes this guy. Ashwin isn't even close to Yasir Shah as a bowler. Give Yasir the doctored Indian tracks and he does even better.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Outstanding spell by Ashwin today.

33 overs, 50 runs, 3 wickets.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rare to see a visiting spinner on Australian wickets creating pressure through dot balls. And he picked up three wickets aswell.

That said, I see Ashwin struggling as the series progresses. Adelaide is the most spin-friendly wicket in Australia. He will struggle to get assistance in Melbourne and Sydney.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having said that it still hurts that he is unable to cease the opportunity when on top like Moeen Ali and Yasir Shah do.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Kuldeep has been bowling well, but Ashwin is still the best: Muralitharan

There’s been an interesting debate that going around cricket circles. Who is India’s top Test spinner? Ravichandran Ashwin or Kuldeep Yadav. There was a time when Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja used to hunt in pairs. However, the duo lost their spots in the coloured jersey after wrist-spinners Kuldeep and Yuzvendra Chahal – fondly known KulCha – began dominating the spin contingent.

Head coach Ravi Shastri too revealed that as far as the think tank is concerned, Kuldeep is higher in the pecking order as compared to Ashwin, who has been left to battle plenty of injuries. The Chinaman bowler has played 6 Tests so far and picked up 24 wickets at 24.12. In Australia, he played just one Test and picked up his second five-wicket haul.

Sri Lankan spin great Muttiah Muralitharan goes against Shastri’s view and still feels that Ashwin is the best in ODI cricket.

“Kuldeep has been bowling really well, but it’s not for me to comment whether he should be India’s No. 1 spinner or Ashwin. When it comes to offspinners in the world, I still think Ashwin is the best,” Muralitharan was quoted as saying in the Times of India on Sunday.

Asked to justify his decision, Muralitharan, who has claimed 800 wickets in Tests, said: “You tell me why not? Who do you think is better than him, Nathan Lyon? Well, I will go by the number of wickets that Ashwin has taken. Yes, people may argue that Lyon is taking wickets in Australia, but he is supposed to take wickets there. Ashwin will take wickets where he plays, even I took more than 500 (of my 800) in the subcontinent.”

Shastri had made it clear that going forward, wrist-spinners will be in vogue in Test cricket and Kuldeep is the clear favourite in that regard. Muralitharan analyses Shastri’s decision.

“Wrist-spinners will always impart more revolutions on the ball and that’s why they get more turn, it’s basic science. Even though I was an off-spinner, I was probably the only one who used to bowl off spin using a lot of wrist. For now, wrist-spinners are doing very well, but I still think finger spinners are more accurate than wrist spinners when it comes to ODIs,” he said.

“Kuldeep and Chahal are good and batsmen outside the subcontinent don’t always know how to deal with wrist-spinners for the simple reason that they don’t play them much. Yes, they have been very successful, but don’t forget that they have hardly played teams from the subcontinent. It could be interesting to seem them perform against the subcontinent sides.”

Quizzed about India’s chances in the ICC World Cup 2019, he said: “Well, of course the way they are playing, they should be among the top two. England are the favourites just because the tournament is being played in their backyard and they have done well in the 50-over format of late. But India have been quite superb all around the world.”

Muralitharan has been one player who has played when Virat Kohli made his debut in August 2008 against Sri Lanka in Dambulla. “He was young back then and he is at the peak of his career now. From 25-28 is the peak of a cricketer’s career, but after 34-35, everyone will slow down. As far as records are concerned, nothing is impossible. It depends on how long he will play and how fit he is. It is also whether he can continue like this,” he said.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...itharan-801657

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is a thorough professional and is someone you know for sure will always give his 101% for the team.

It's just that even at his best Ashwin can never win a test match for India outside India like the way Yasir Shah can do for Pakistan.

In ODIs, he can keep the run rate tight but he's just not someone who looks like taking a wicket when you want it the most.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's just that even at his best Ashwin can never win a test match for India outside India like the way Yasir Shah can do for Pakistan.
    Ashwin took 6 wkts including those of 5 specialist batsmen in the first Test of the Australia series that India won. Definitely India's most valuable bowler in that game.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Ashwin took 6 wkts including those of 5 specialist batsmen in the first Test of the Australia series that India won. Definitely India's most valuable bowler in that game.
    You know he's been below average when you have to refer to his 6 wickets in a test match performance.

This bowler takes a 10fer literally every 2nd or 3rd test in India.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You know he's been below average when you have to refer to his 6 wickets in a test match performance.

This bowler takes a 10fer literally every 2nd or 3rd test in India.
    Below average by his standards. Still, taking 50% of the top 5 x 2 innings wkts is a major contribution to India's win.

Btw, a lot of my friends in my school days used to live in Lajpat Nagar, so I have many memories of that place

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Below average by his standards. Still, taking 50% of the top 5 x 2 innings wkts is a major contribution to India's win.
    I can understand your belief in Ashwin. Like i said he is Mr 101%. You'd always want people like Ashwin in your team. I am his fan too. But just to put it straight his numbers suggest he is at par with Shane Warne and Murali as a spinner but precisely due to his average-below average performances in SENA, he is never gonna be in that league.
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 11th February 2019 at 19:32.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a package Ashwin is an invaluable player. My only gripe is his unusual struggles in 4th innings of a test match overseas. You cannot forget Ashwin is one of the most over-exposed bowler in the world. Playing IPL for a decade. Playing every damn format for a long time. Also his hernia injury significantly caused an impact in his bowling. Combination of few things like Dhoni using him as a defensive option and other things he didn't realize his full potential overseas. He never had a consistent run. It was almost always horse for the course policy. In overseas you don't need experiments. You just need to bowl a steady line for long periods. Ashwin tried too many variations and lost the plot a few times. Still one of the all time great MVP for India winning 7 man of the series.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

R Ashwin: India Test offspinner confirmed for County Championship stint with Nottinghamshire

India Test specialist R Ashwin has been confirmed for a stint with Nottinghamshire for the second half of the ongoing County Championship season.

It was reported last week that the offspinner was primed for his second County stint – he played four matches for Worcestershire in 2017 – and on Thursday the club confirmed the news.

“We knew what we wanted to sign and that was a world-class bowler. Whether that was a fast or a slow bowler, we were prepared to look at all options,” said Nottinghamshire director of cricket Mike Newell. “As it happens, we’ve signed a very good spinner, a very experienced spinner and one we hope can contribute with the bat as well.

“We’ve seen world-class slow bowlers have a huge match-winning effect in county cricket over many years. Ravi certainly has that potential – and we’re very much looking forward to welcoming him to the squad and letting him loose on our opposition.”

Ashwin, 32, will replace Australian fast bowler James Pattinson as Nottinghamshire’s overseas player. He is expected to arrive Trent Bridge in late June.

“I’m really looking forward to joining up with Nottinghamshire, to playing cricket at an iconic venue like Trent Bridge and hopefully contributing to some County Championship victories,” he told the club’s website. “I enjoyed my previous stint in England with Worcestershire. It’s a good, competitive standard of cricket over there and I can’t wait to get started.”

Ashwin is India’s fourth-highest wicket-taker in Test cricket with 342 from 65 matches.

Rahane’s Test team-mate Ajinkya Rahane is the other active Indian cricket playing in the County Championship. On debut, Rahane scored 119 for Hampshire against Nottinghamshire.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...amshire-847161

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good move.

He did well on last england tour imo