Ravichandran Ashwin Discussion Thread - Page 14


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 1,041 to 1,094 of 1094
  1. #1041
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    12,091
    Mentioned
    3136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Would like to see somebody ask Ashwin on his twitter & YT channel is something going on BTW him and Kohli...

  2. #1042
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    18,739
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Too much being made of his omission in this series. Wont change our fortunes one bit.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  3. #1043
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    4,049
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Too much being made of his omission in this series. Wont change our fortunes one bit.
    Umesh has already justified his selection.
    Same goes for Thakur
    Siraj and Bumrah's place were never in doubt
    If Kohli wins this match then all these controversy theories will be put in their rightful place

  4. #1044
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Umesh has already justified his selection.
    Same goes for Thakur
    Siraj and Bumrah's place were never in doubt
    If Kohli wins this match then all these controversy theories will be put in their rightful place
    Nah it wont.

    The fact that India is still in the series after making so many errors with selection and application shows how poor England has been.

    Have you forgotten Bhuvi drop for test 2 in SA?

    Or Rahane drop during that series (when he wasnt this hopeless)?

    Guess who we played at that time?

    Dhawan.

    Lost 1-2 against super weak Saffers.

    This is like struggling to clear an easy exam.

  5. #1045
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    18,739
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Umesh has already justified his selection.
    Same goes for Thakur
    Siraj and Bumrah's place were never in doubt
    If Kohli wins this match then all these controversy theories will be put in their rightful place
    Agreed. I dont see any conspiracy in dropping Ashwin. These are seamer friendly wickets ad theres only place for the lone spinner if at all.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  6. Google Ad Manager-
  7. #1046
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    4,049
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Nah it wont.

    The fact that India is still in the series after making so many errors with selection and application shows how poor England has been.

    Have you forgotten Bhuvi drop for test 2 in SA?

    Or Rahane drop during that series (when he wasnt this hopeless)?

    Guess who we played at that time?

    Dhawan.

    Lost 1-2 against super weak Saffers.

    This is like struggling to clear an easy exam.
    Sorry but I don't see any scenario uptil now in this test series where presence of Ashwin could have changed anything. The pitches haven't been conducive to spin bowling , both Moeen(our biggest nemesis acc to you) and Jaddu looked worse than parttimers.

    As for the Bhuvi drop in second SA test, I will never ever admit that it was a mistake , Ishant replaced Bhuvi and performed brilliantly. Actually Bhuvi's style of bowling wouldn’t have helped there as that pitch had variable bounce but it did'nt provide any lateral movement off the pitch or in the air.

    Rahane should have been picked from first test but that's the lone selection mistake on that tour.

    If you think that this is a weak English side then I am definitely not on the same page as you, who are they actually missing? Just Ben Stokes.
    Their bowling actually is pretty strong, Robinson is definitely an upgrade over broad at this age, and Woakes obviously is a massive HTB. Root is in the form of his life.
    It would be a massive achievement to win a series here and as I have always explained all great victories happened while some player was missing(ashes 05, aus in ind 2004, pak in wi 1987).

  8. #1047
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,938
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    both Moeen(our biggest nemesis acc to you) and Jaddu looked worse than parttimers.
    Jadeja has looked like he has always done outside India. But the other stuff about Moeen is blatantly untrue. He's come in and taken critical wickets through the series.

    Surely even you don't think he's a better bowler than Ashwin who looked the best bowler just a month or so back in the WTC final.

  9. #1048
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Sorry but I don't see any scenario uptil now in this test series where presence of Ashwin could have changed anything. The pitches haven't been conducive to spin bowling , both Moeen(our biggest nemesis acc to you) and Jaddu looked worse than parttimers.

    As for the Bhuvi drop in second SA test, I will never ever admit that it was a mistake , Ishant replaced Bhuvi and performed brilliantly. Actually Bhuvi's style of bowling wouldnít have helped there as that pitch had variable bounce but it did'nt provide any lateral movement off the pitch or in the air.

    Rahane should have been picked from first test but that's the lone selection mistake on that tour.

    If you think that this is a weak English side then I am definitely not on the same page as you, who are they actually missing? Just Ben Stokes.
    Their bowling actually is pretty strong, Robinson is definitely an upgrade over broad at this age, and Woakes obviously is a massive HTB. Root is in the form of his life.
    It would be a massive achievement to win a series here and as I have always explained all great victories happened while some player was missing(ashes 05, aus in ind 2004, pak in wi 1987).
    1. If you think Bhuvi drop wasn't a mistake in test 2, theres no way you will think Ashwin could have made any difference here.

    2. Bhuvi was amazing in test 1, dropped in test 2 and then came back in test 3 to win us the game.

    3. As for Ashwin, its all convenient conjecture but theres this pesky little fact that he played a pivotal role in Aus 2020 series and was pretty much our best bowler in WTC finals. Heck, he had NZ in the pump in the 2nd innings only to be taken off the attack anf never bowled again. A few more runs and it would have been a totally different ball game.

    4. Englands batting is weak as hell. The very fact that Indians think we have a way to come back into the game cos Umesh castled Root speaks volumes of English lineup. Remove Root and we would have been atleast 2-1 in this series.

    4. England didnt hav Stokes, Woakes in the first 2 tests. So we escaped with some awful batting.

  10. #1049
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jadeja has been the biggest disappointment in this series for India. All this talk of 50 average in last 5 years and he has barely done anything with bat or bowl in this series except one fifty. Ofcourse, send him to bat at no.9, he will stay not out and inflate his average to 60-70 and start competing with Steve Smith.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 3rd September 2021 at 00:41.

  11. #1050
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    4,049
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Jadeja has looked like he has always done outside India. But the other stuff about Moeen is blatantly untrue. He's come in and taken critical wickets through the series.

    Surely even you don't think he's a better bowler than Ashwin who looked the best bowler just a month or so back in the WTC final.
    I Don't agree with your point regarding Moeen , he has'nt done anything of note.
    His figures read 187 -4 and even if we ignore them , I don't see how his wickets had any significance (e3 of them came in the match we won, one of them being Shami)

  12. #1051
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Forget about all the arguments.

    It comes down to one thing:

    Accountability.

    You dont drop a bowler who has proven himself in these conditions under lame arguments and keep sticking to your plan regardless of the result.

    That shows Kohli can do whatever he wants which is the core issue.

    Defend him all you want.

    But lets come back to this thread say a year or two down the road and see the true impact of this dictatorial approach.

  13. #1052
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    4,049
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    1. If you think Bhuvi drop wasn't a mistake in test 2, theres no way you will think Ashwin could have made any difference here.

    2. Bhuvi was amazing in test 1, dropped in test 2 and then came back in test 3 to win us the game.

    3. As for Ashwin, its all convenient conjecture but theres this pesky little fact that he played a pivotal role in Aus 2020 series and was pretty much our best bowler in WTC finals. Heck, he had NZ in the pump in the 2nd innings only to be taken off the attack anf never bowled again. A few more runs and it would have been a totally different ball game.

    4. Englands batting is weak as hell. The very fact that Indians think we have a way to come back into the game cos Umesh castled Root speaks volumes of English lineup. Remove Root and we would have been atleast 2-1 in this series.

    4. England didnt hav Stokes, Woakes in the first 2 tests. So we escaped with some awful batting.
    Don't you believe in horses for courses? There's a definite reason why Bhuvi was'nt picked in second test and that’s bcoz he is a conditions dependent bowler and those particular conditions were'nt in his favour.
    Also please take a look at his replacement's performance in that match(Ishant).

    England's batting was weaker in 2018 where they had an out of form root who Kohli outscored by 200+ runs , an aging Cook and Keaton Jennings, not sure what has changed(except root's terrific form) Stokes is definitely a factor but that's one player and he is'nt a Smith or Warner level batsman who carries the whole lineup.

  14. #1053
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    4,049
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Forget about all the arguments.

    It comes down to one thing:

    Accountability.

    You dont drop a bowler who has proven himself in these conditions under lame arguments and keep sticking to your plan regardless of the result.

    That shows Kohli can do whatever he wants which is the core issue.

    Defend him all you want.

    But lets come back to this thread say a year or two down the road and see the true impact of this dictatorial approach.
    I was looking forward to Ashwin's performance in this series too, we wanted that ATG tag on him very badly (I think that's also pretty much the reason behind all your posts, to atleast give him a chance) but I can't really say that his non selection has been bcoz of any template or personal grudge, I can pretty much see the reasons .
    I would have played him to see how he does but can't raise a question about his non selection coz it's pretty much self explanatory

  15. #1054
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Jadeja has been the biggest disappointment in this series for India. All this talk of 50 average in last 5 years and he has barely done anything with bat or bowl in this series except one fifty. Ofcourse, send him to bat at no.9, he will stay not out and inflate his average to 60-70 and start competing with Steve Smith.
    hes scored 50,40,30 in this series and got out swinging because of tail.Didnt stay not out as you claim.He might have failed here but so did Pant.deserved his place till now.We can drop him for a batsman now.


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  16. #1055
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Don't you believe in horses for courses? There's a definite reason why Bhuvi was'nt picked in second test and thatís bcoz he is a conditions dependent bowler and those particular conditions were'nt in his favour.
    Also please take a look at his replacement's performance in that match(Ishant).

    England's batting was weaker in 2018 where they had an out of form root who Kohli outscored by 200+ runs , an aging Cook and Keaton Jennings, not sure what has changed(except root's terrific form) Stokes is definitely a factor but that's one player and he is'nt a Smith or Warner level batsman who carries the whole lineup.
    1. Horses for courses when its done in the smart way. Bhuvis example is how its NOT supposed to be done.

    So test 1 and 3 in SA, Bhuvi was good....but test 2 he wasnt?

    By the same token, will you say dropping Pujara for Rohit in SL 2015 was right?

    Or taking Saha over Pant in Aus 2020 right?

    There are a billion examples of similar boo boos by Kohli that either blew up in his face or someone played out of their skin to save him.

    2. England had depth in 2018. Atleast others could pitch in. Heck, they managed to outbat India in far more pace friendly conditions than this series.

    That itself proves how much inferior this batting lineup is.

    In this series, Root literally had to score 3 centuries for them to be 1-1.

  17. #1056
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    I was looking forward to Ashwin's performance in this series too, we wanted that ATG tag on him very badly (I think that's also pretty much the reason behind all your posts, to atleast give him a chance) but I can't really say that his non selection has been bcoz of any template or personal grudge, I can pretty much see the reasons .
    I would have played him to see how he does but can't raise a question about his non selection coz it's pretty much self explanatory
    Grudge is just a fan made theory.

    Fact is his non selection for 4 tests in a row is baffling.

    There is a reason why every foreign expert is baffled.

  18. #1057
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ashwin took a 6-fer for Surrey on this very ground only. Surely, he had to play going by that logic? The recent form is with him too and success on this venues as well.

    Shardul hitting an important fifty or Umesh getting Root's wicket shouldn't change that. I am sure if they can rest Shami and play Umesh or Ishant earlier, then they can find a place for a player of Ashwin stature.

    It has clearly been unfair on him to not even get one match in any of the first four matches in England. His SENA performances also over the last few years have been very good.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 3rd September 2021 at 01:29.

  19. #1058
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    hes scored 50,40,30 in this series and got out swinging because of tail.Didnt stay not out as you claim.He might have failed here but so did Pant.deserved his place till now.We can drop him for a batsman now.
    It is not about Pant. But this is Jadeja playing at its peak of his career and ahead of Ashwin. Surely, he has to prove his worth a lot more. Can't be just happy with 30, 40 and 50. He needs to make it count and win us something overseas with his all-round performance. All-rounders are the biggest match winners in any team.

  20. #1059
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    It is not about Pant. But this is Jadeja playing at its peak of his career and ahead of Ashwin. Surely, he has to prove his worth a lot more. Can't be just happy with 30, 40 and 50. He needs to make it count and win us something overseas with his all-round performance. All-rounders are the biggest match winners in any team.
    Jadeja isn't playing ahead of Ashwin. Hes no 7 while Ashwin is no. 8

    Jadeja is playing ahead of Vihari and had done enough to do so.Can be dropped now


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  21. #1060
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Grudge is just a fan made theory.

    Fact is his non selection for 4 tests in a row is baffling.

    There is a reason why every foreign expert is baffled.
    I have only seen Indian fans justifying it with 4 pacers logic.Everyone else is in favour of Ashwin


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton


  22. #1061
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    I have only seen Indian fans justifying it with 4 pacers logic.Everyone else is in favour of Ashwin
    Talking about social media and not this forum.

    Tho hard to not view this as somethung due to grudge.

    Incredible scenes.

    Kohli better win this game and series for all the comedies he is doing.

  23. #1062
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Talking about social media and not this forum.

    Tho hard to not view this as somethung due to grudge.

    Incredible scenes.

    Kohli better win this game and series for all the comedies he is doing.
    I am talking about social media and experts too

    Not seen one foreign one has said its okay to leave him.

    only Indian fans are


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  24. #1063
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    I am talking about social media and experts too

    Not seen one foreign one has said its okay to leave him.

    only Indian fans are
    Looks like you misinterpreted my post.

    I said foreign experts are baffled by kohlis selection choices.

  25. #1064
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    Jadeja isn't playing ahead of Ashwin. Hes no 7 while Ashwin is no. 8

    Jadeja is playing ahead of Vihari and had done enough to do so.Can be dropped now
    It is a good excuse but it is not as clear as it sounds that he is playing as a batsman only and whatever bowling he does is a bonus.

    He is playing because of the 4 fast bowlers + 1 spinner stubborn rule which means you want one of the pacers and one spinner to be able to bat at either of the two spots at 7 & 8. Furthermore, you also can't compromise with the batting at those position because half of our batsman are walking wickets vs lateral movement.

    But they have to be flexible enough with that rule and find a way to get in Ashwin who also is at the peak of his career and has got success recently. It makes complete sense to play 7 batsman, 3 pacers and Ashwin as a sole spinner in these conditions when all our batsman combined could just produce one test hundred in seven innings of this series till now and their struggle have been quite apparent.

    Jadeja's place as batting A/R was just on the hope that he would translate his home performance overseas too with bat. Vihari obviously never got to play at home, so he couldn't set any such hope or expectation in the eyes of the beholder.

  26. #1065
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    It is a good excuse but it is not as clear as it sounds that he is playing as a batsman only and whatever bowling he does is a bonus.

    He is playing because of the 4 fast bowlers + 1 spinner stubborn rule which means you want one of the pacers and one spinner to be able to bat at either of the two spots at 7 & 8. Furthermore, you also can't compromise with the batting at those position because half of our batsman are walking wickets vs lateral movement.

    But they have to be flexible enough with that rule and find a way to get in Ashwin who also is at the peak of his career and has got success recently. It makes complete sense to play 7 batsman, 3 pacers and Ashwin as a sole spinner in these conditions when all our batsman combined could just produce one test hundred in seven innings of this series till now and their struggle have been quite apparent.

    Jadeja's place as batting A/R was just on the hope that he would translate his home performance overseas too with bat. Vihari obviously never got to play at home, so he couldn't set any such hope or expectation in the eyes of the beholder.
    Jadeja batted better than Vihari overseas too,especially in Aus.

    I don't agree with 4 pacers and Ashwin should be playing.The rule is 4 pacers or 3+1.5th bowler wont fit in those calculations

    Ashwin isn't a no. 7 specially with our MO problems.

    Vihari should have replaced Rahane today,still should.Some other bat can replace Jadeja

    If they want spinner,the only decent option is Ashwin,but he'll have to come in for one of the 4 pacers.


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  27. #1066
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,938
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    I Don't agree with your point regarding Moeen , he has'nt done anything of note.
    His figures read 187 -4 and even if we ignore them , I don't see how his wickets had any significance (e3 of them came in the match we won, one of them being Shami)
    After a long partnership (Pujara-Rahane), he soon got rid of Rahane and Jadeja and the game was pretty much in England's pocket at that point. Then Shami-Bumrah happened.

  28. #1067
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,938
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Ganguly has been a massive letdown. Another self-serving careerist. Just like other Indian ex-cricketers and celebs he has proved to be spineless in more ways than one.

    Watching him grovel before that clown Jay Shah makes me wanna puke.
    I feel you

    But this photo should have prepared everyone.

    Name:  ganguly jay shah.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  16.0 KB

  29. #1068
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    Jadeja batted better than Vihari overseas too,especially in Aus.

    I don't agree with 4 pacers and Ashwin should be playing.The rule is 4 pacers or 3+1.5th bowler wont fit in those calculations

    Ashwin isn't a no. 7 specially with our MO problems.

    Vihari should have replaced Rahane today,still should.Some other bat can replace Jadeja

    If they want spinner,the only decent option is Ashwin,but he'll have to come in for one of the 4 pacers.
    I feel the selectors should have included Vijay Shankar for this series. He could have been handy with his all-round game for England and New Zealand conditions and can bat at 6 also, especially after Sundar's injury. Even if he hadn't taken wickets, we could have an option of playing Ashwin at 8 and three best pacers. The fourth pacer and Jadeja (with either bat or bowl) hasn't really done great to deserve a merit over Ashwin.

  30. #1069
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    Jadeja batted better than Vihari overseas too,especially in Aus.

    I don't agree with 4 pacers and Ashwin should be playing.The rule is 4 pacers or 3+1.5th bowler wont fit in those calculations

    Ashwin isn't a no. 7 specially with our MO problems.

    Vihari should have replaced Rahane today,still should.Some other bat can replace Jadeja

    If they want spinner,the only decent option is Ashwin,but he'll have to come in for one of the 4 pacers.
    Before my post just above, I must add that 5th bowler is certainly fitting in the calculation. Jadeja's role is not of a part timer here. He did bowled 31 overs at Headingley, so the fifth bowler option is clearly what they are looking to have. The only problem here is that they haven't selected a batsman with a seam bowling option in the squad because the expectation from 4th pacer is clearly not as same as the first three.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 3rd September 2021 at 12:45.

  31. #1070
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    4,049
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Umesh has already justified his selection.
    Same goes for Thakur
    Siraj and Bumrah's place were never in doubt
    If Kohli wins this match then all these controversy theories will be put in their rightful place
    Case closed.
    Brilliant tactical changes by the captain both of them worked wonders.

  32. #1071
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,938
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Case closed.
    Brilliant tactical changes by the captain both of them worked wonders.
    I donít know even anyone was arguing against them. The question is primarily Jadeja vs Ashwin.

  33. #1072
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,938
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Case closed.
    Brilliant tactical changes by the captain both of them worked wonders.
    And when he should pick Shardul, he doesn't pick him. Like during the WTC Final. Would have been the trophy-changer

  34. #1073
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I feel the selectors should have included Vijay Shankar for this series. He could have been handy with his all-round game for England and New Zealand conditions and can bat at 6 also, especially after Sundar's injury. Even if he hadn't taken wickets, we could have an option of playing Ashwin at 8 and three best pacers. The fourth pacer and Jadeja (with either bat or bowl) hasn't really done great to deserve a merit over Ashwin.
    totally agree.Shankar could have been selected ahead of one of batsmen too.

    Hopefully hes selected for SA tour as I dont think Pandya will be fit to bowl in tests anytime soon


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  35. #1074
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Before my post just above, I must add that 5th bowler is certainly fitting in the calculation. Jadeja's role is not of a part timer here. He did bowled 31 overs at Headingley, so the fifth bowler option is clearly what they are looking to have. The only problem here is that they haven't selected a batsman with a seam bowling option in the squad because the expectation from 4th pacer is clearly not as same as the first three.
    He bowled 31 overs because there was no other spinner and pacers were looking ineffective.Outbowled Ishant easily.

    I'm confident Ashwin would have done atleast equal or better than any 4th pacer we played so far.


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  36. #1075
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,938
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Why would India leave Ashwin out?
    Maybe it is because India have an already long tail and Ashwin cannot bat?

    Think again. He has five Test centuries, including one against England earlier this year. In fact, only two players in the England team - Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow - have scored more.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/58421641

  37. #1076
    Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    3,188
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is a better batsman than Pujara and Rahane atm.

  38. #1077
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    7,005
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People have been banging on about his omission through this test match, but it's hard to ignore it with the way conditions have panned out.

    The pitch isn't conducive to a spinner such as Jadeja bowling quickly around 57-58 mph. Ashwin would have used over-spin and drift to good effect even if the pitch wasn't turning. The way Moeen was ripping it from outside the right-hander's offstump suggests otherwise.

    He'd at least not have bowled as many full-tosses and long-hops as Jadeja.

  39. #1078
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    3,455
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If not for Jadeja's injury and Rahane taking over captaincy in the Australia tour, Ashwin would have warmed the benches there as well and India would probably have struggled to win that series.

    If pitches are the only consideration, then Australia is historically even more non-conducive to spin, especially for finger spinners.

  40. #1079
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,676
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    People have been banging on about his omission through this test match, but it's hard to ignore it with the way conditions have panned out.

    The pitch isn't conducive to a spinner such as Jadeja bowling quickly around 57-58 mph. Ashwin would have used over-spin and drift to good effect even if the pitch wasn't turning. The way Moeen was ripping it from outside the right-hander's offstump suggests otherwise.

    He'd at least not have bowled as many full-tosses and long-hops as Jadeja.
    Jadeja is 5th bowler.You can't expect him to do as well as Ashwin

    Dumb to leave Ashwin out


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  41. #1080
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    7,005
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some good news for Ashwin: he's been recalled to the T20 squad.

  42. #1081
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,408
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Some good news for Ashwin: he's been recalled to the T20 squad.
    Would be madness not to take him to the UAE!


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  43. #1082
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Tamil Nadu,india
    Runs
    40
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure he will mostly warm benches .... Kohli will take care of that

  44. #1083
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,407
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Nah it wont.

    The fact that India is still in the series after making so many errors with selection and application shows how poor England has been.

    Have you forgotten Bhuvi drop for test 2 in SA?

    Or Rahane drop during that series (when he wasnt this hopeless)?

    Guess who we played at that time?

    Dhawan.

    Lost 1-2 against super weak Saffers.

    This is like struggling to clear an easy exam.
    What was super weak about the SA side that india lost to? please enlighten.

    Elgar, Amla, Devilliers, Duplessis, Decock, Steyn, Rabada, Philander, Morne morkel

  45. #1084
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
    What was super weak about the SA side that india lost to? please enlighten.

    Elgar, Amla, Devilliers, Duplessis, Decock, Steyn, Rabada, Philander, Morne morkel
    There is a difference between a team with big names...and a team with big names who are in their prime.

    Did you watch that series live mate?

    That SA team was weak as hell.

    1. Bowling was good. Even great. Steyn was done. Didn't play after 1st test I believe.

    2. Batting was a joke. Amla, Duplessis were done.

    To put it in perspective, remove Devilliers knocks and we would have won that series 3-0.

    SL toured SA and won 2-0 after us.

    It's like Indian team in 2012.

    Big names. But the batting was a joke.


    Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

  46. #1085
    Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    124
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will warm the bench in UAE too

    Brainless selection for t20 WC

  47. #1086
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,408
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    India's ace spinner R Ashwin bagged his 250th T20 wicket on Saturday while playing for Delhi Capitals in their Indian Premier League (IPL) encounter against Rajasthan Royals here at Sheikh Zayed Stadium.

    Ashwin struck in his first over of the match as David Miller was stumped. It was poor cricket from the South Africa left-hander as he stepped out and attempted a slog but missed the ball by a mile.

    Earlier batting first, Shreyas Iyer fought a lone battle at the top before Shimron Hetmyer hit a quickfire 28 to help Delhi Capitals reach a respectable 154/6 in their 20 overs.

    Iyer hit a 32-ball 43 before he was dismissed against the run of play by Rahul Tewatia to get Rajasthan right back into the game. In fact, at one stage it looked like Delhi was aiming for a score in the range of 180 with skipper Rishabh Pant and Iyer looking good in the middle.

    But Mustafizur Rahman broke the 62-run stand when he sent back Pant for 24. And that saw the RR bowlers claw their way back into the game.

    For RR, while Mustafizur finished with figures of 2/22, Chetan Sakariya took two wickets and gave away 33 runs.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-wicket/816648


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  48. #1087
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,408
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    After 5 long years, Team India will host New Zealand in a Test series at home. The two teams have played one bilateral Test series and have squared off in only 3 Test matches since 2016. The two Test matches will be played in Kanpur and Mumbai, respectively.

    Barring Trent Boult, New Zealand have the rest of their first-choice players available for selection as Kane Williamson has returned to lead the side in the red-ball format. He took a rest for the three-match T20I series.

    India are without the services of many first-choice players, including skipper Virat Kohli and senior batsman Rohit Sharma, for the series. But India's spin department is stacked with regulars.

    The Test series will mark R Ashwin's comeback in the playing XI in the longest format as the senior spinner didn't get a game in the Test series against England. Ashwin, who will lead the spin attack with Ravindra Jadeja, will eye a major career milestone upon his comeback in the side. He is just 5 wickets short of eclipsing Harbhajan Singh on the elite list of Indian bowlers with most wickets.

    Ashwin has dismissed 413 batsmen in 70 Tests while Harbhajan has 417 scalps in 103 matches. Ashwin can very well go past his senior right in the first innings to become the third-highest wicket-taker for India.

    Former India skipper Anil Kumble tops this list with 619 wickets and is followed by Kapil Dev, who has 434 scalps. Ishant Sharma and Zaheer Khan share the 5th spot with 311 scalps each.

    Talking of the overall list, Muttiah Muralitharan sits at the top with 800 wickets alongside his name. Ashwin is currently ranked at the 14th spot and is just 2 wickets short of leapfrogging Pakistan legend Wasim Akram, who has 414 wickets. Given Ashwin's knack of taking wickets in home conditions, he can very well go past Shaun Pollock as well. Pollock has 421 wickets alongside his name.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...te-list/834999


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  49. #1088
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,150
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    After 5 long years, Team India will host New Zealand in a Test series at home. The two teams have played one bilateral Test series and have squared off in only 3 Test matches since 2016. The two Test matches will be played in Kanpur and Mumbai, respectively.

    Barring Trent Boult, New Zealand have the rest of their first-choice players available for selection as Kane Williamson has returned to lead the side in the red-ball format. He took a rest for the three-match T20I series.

    India are without the services of many first-choice players, including skipper Virat Kohli and senior batsman Rohit Sharma, for the series. But India's spin department is stacked with regulars.

    The Test series will mark R Ashwin's comeback in the playing XI in the longest format as the senior spinner didn't get a game in the Test series against England. Ashwin, who will lead the spin attack with Ravindra Jadeja, will eye a major career milestone upon his comeback in the side. He is just 5 wickets short of eclipsing Harbhajan Singh on the elite list of Indian bowlers with most wickets.

    Ashwin has dismissed 413 batsmen in 70 Tests while Harbhajan has 417 scalps in 103 matches. Ashwin can very well go past his senior right in the first innings to become the third-highest wicket-taker for India.

    Former India skipper Anil Kumble tops this list with 619 wickets and is followed by Kapil Dev, who has 434 scalps. Ishant Sharma and Zaheer Khan share the 5th spot with 311 scalps each.

    Talking of the overall list, Muttiah Muralitharan sits at the top with 800 wickets alongside his name. Ashwin is currently ranked at the 14th spot and is just 2 wickets short of leapfrogging Pakistan legend Wasim Akram, who has 414 wickets. Given Ashwin's knack of taking wickets in home conditions, he can very well go past Shaun Pollock as well. Pollock has 421 wickets alongside his name.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...te-list/834999
    What a poor decision it was not to play Ashwin in any of the 4 tests we played against England in England!

  50. #1089
    Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    What a poor decision it was not to play Ashwin in any of the 4 tests we played against England in England!
    We won two of them, so in hindsight can't say that it was a bad decision.
    Although, Jadeja totally flopped and now in SA Ashwin should be first choice.

  51. #1090
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,150
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeOfWisden View Post
    We won two of them, so in hindsight can't say that it was a bad decision.
    Although, Jadeja totally flopped and now in SA Ashwin should be first choice.
    Knowing Kohli, you may prove to be wrong.

  52. #1091
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,235
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Code View Post
    We won two of them, so in hindsight can't say that it was a bad decision.
    Although, Jadeja totally flopped and now in SA Ashwin should be first choice.
    In SA we should play both of them and four quicks with Shardul Thakur as 4th pacer. Jadeja in place of Rahane.
    Last edited by par; 26th November 2021 at 00:02.

  53. #1092
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,408
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ravichandran Ashwin's 2021 continues to go from good to better as he has become the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket in the calendar year. With 39 wickets to his name, Ashwin has overtaken Pakistan fast-bowler Shaheen Afridi on the list.

    Ashwin achieved the feat with the wicket of Will Young during the ongoing Test match between India and New Zealand in Kanpur. Young was dismissed for 89 after a marathon opening partnership.

    Ashwin's year had started with a heroic effort with the bat against Australia to save India a game at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) despite suffering from a back injury. However, he was forced to miss the final game of the series due to an injury.

    The off-spinner came into his own during the home series against England in which he won the Man of the Series award. Ashwin was the series' highest wicket-taker with 32 wickets in four games.

    He also chipped in with valuable runs with the bat all through the series. This included an incredible century with the bat at his home ground in Chennai during the second Test match of the series which helped Virat Kohli's men equalize the series.

    Ashwin was arguably India's best bowler during the World Test Championship (WTC) final in 2021 in which he took two wickets in both innings of the game despite India's defeat.

    However, Ashwin did not feature in any of the four games that India played during the away tour to England. Virat Kohli's preference for a four-man pace attack meant the off-spinner had to watch the series from the bench.

    Afridi is also in action at the moment in Bangladesh where Pakistan are playing a Test match as part of a two-match series. However, with India having three Test matches left in 2021 after this game, Ashwin is likely to finish as 2021's highest wicket-taker.

    After this game, the two teams will head to Mumbai for the final game of the series starting from December 3. After the conclusion of the series, India are set to travel to South Africa for a multi-format tour that starts with another Test series.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...aker-in/835703


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  54. #1093
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    17,775
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Ravichandran Ashwin's 2021 continues to go from good to better as he has become the highest wicket-taker in Test cricket in the calendar year. With 39 wickets to his name, Ashwin has overtaken Pakistan fast-bowler Shaheen Afridi on the list.

    Ashwin achieved the feat with the wicket of Will Young during the ongoing Test match between India and New Zealand in Kanpur. Young was dismissed for 89 after a marathon opening partnership.

    Ashwin's year had started with a heroic effort with the bat against Australia to save India a game at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) despite suffering from a back injury. However, he was forced to miss the final game of the series due to an injury.

    The off-spinner came into his own during the home series against England in which he won the Man of the Series award. Ashwin was the series' highest wicket-taker with 32 wickets in four games.

    He also chipped in with valuable runs with the bat all through the series. This included an incredible century with the bat at his home ground in Chennai during the second Test match of the series which helped Virat Kohli's men equalize the series.

    Ashwin was arguably India's best bowler during the World Test Championship (WTC) final in 2021 in which he took two wickets in both innings of the game despite India's defeat.

    However, Ashwin did not feature in any of the four games that India played during the away tour to England. Virat Kohli's preference for a four-man pace attack meant the off-spinner had to watch the series from the bench.

    Afridi is also in action at the moment in Bangladesh where Pakistan are playing a Test match as part of a two-match series. However, with India having three Test matches left in 2021 after this game, Ashwin is likely to finish as 2021's highest wicket-taker.

    After this game, the two teams will head to Mumbai for the final game of the series starting from December 3. After the conclusion of the series, India are set to travel to South Africa for a multi-format tour that starts with another Test series.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...aker-in/835703
    I believe Ashwin needs 1 more wicket to tie Wasim Akram's wicket tally... He needs 1 or 2 more to go past Harbhajan Singh, and then can easily break Kapil Dev's tally...

    Ash should end his career with about 650 wickets imo...
    Last edited by Romali_rotti; Yesterday at 20:08.


    "You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

  55. #1094
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is a legend of the game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •