Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abhilash93 View Post
    The pitch for the Test vs India was pretty flat as well.
    Since when is Bangladesh a metric for judging how good players are? Don't we remove performances against minnows when discussing players or is that only done when it is convenient?

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Has Herath the Destroyer retired? Cos he>>>Ashwin.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Aussie View Post
    Has Herath the Destroyer retired? Cos he>>>Ashwin.
    He's done and dusted. In his prime he was better than Ashwin, however.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Being untested overseas is a better position to be in than being a failure overseas. Yasir Shah trumps Ashwin in every single category imaginable; be it overall average+SR, aesthetics, appreciation from experts and past players or the ICC rankings.

What is the basis for calling him the best? Only stats in Asia, despite the fact that he is playing on pitches that are much better for spinners to bowl on?
    So Yasir is better than Ashwin because Yasir hasn't played overseas while Ashwin has failed there, but when looking at statistics you don't consider that Yasir hasn't played overseas so his statistics might be better?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    So Yasir is better than Ashwin because Yasir hasn't played overseas while Ashwin has failed there, but when looking at statistics you don't consider that Yasir hasn't played overseas so his statistics might be better?
    Yesterday, Bilal bhai said that 1st Day pitch and clouded conditions helped Ashwin and Jaddu in the Banglaore Test.. so don't expect too much sense brother.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianWillow View Post
    In the era of home bullies, some one has to be the best without doing well overseas.
    You are not wrong.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That's a shame, he was a bowler of real cricketing skill. Not much turn, no fancy deliveries, just guile and determination.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    You don't consider that Ashwin has played his home games in India and so his Asia-only records will be better? Surely it's better to balance things out by counting the harder games that Ashwin has played, along with the easier ones.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being untested overseas is a better position to be in than being a failure overseas. Yasir Shah trumps Ashwin in every single category imaginable; be it overall average+SR, aesthetics, appreciation from experts and past players or the ICC rankings.

What is the basis for calling him the best? Only stats in Asia, despite the fact that he is playing on pitches that are much better for spinners to bowl on?
    That is your imagination. Check out Ashwin's stats before he went outside Asia and how it got battered there. Let us compare Ashwin and Yasir on common wickets they have already played.

Ashwin averages 19 in Bangladesh. Yasir averages 34 in Bangladesh.
    Ashwin averages 18 in SL. Yasir averages 19 in SL.

The sample sizes are small, but that is all we have for strict comparison. If Yasir is better than Ashwin then why he didn't do better in Bangladesh and SL? So all this talk about Yasir being better on unhelpful wickets is speculation. If my intuition is right, Yasir will average 40-50 during the Australian tour and will have his stats ruined to some extent - this is what happened to Ashwin during his early tours outside Asia.

And we have not yet begun to talk about Ashwin the ODI bowler and T20 bowler. And Ashwin the test batsman averaging 32 with test fifties outside Asia. Ashwin the player is far ahead of Yasir the player across all formats at this point of time.

"This one doesn't take the cake, it takes the bakery" - Gavaskar

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's very unfair on Yasir's part to be compared with Ashwin. Yasir plays most of his matches on flat tracks offering little to spinners yet he picks up 5fers while Ashwin get to play on spin mumbas. I don't think it's a fair comparison at all.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3rd 12fer for Ashwin.

He is going down in history as a bowler of his era

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    12fer baby.

Come at me bro.

Ashwin dishing out the phainta to Proteas and the haters man.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    It's very unfair on Yasir's part to be compared with Ashwin. Yasir plays most of his matches on flat tracks offering little to spinners yet he picks up 5fers while Ashwin get to play on spin mumbas. I don't think it's a fair comparison at all.
    1. Yasir and Ash Asian stats can't be compared directly cos India is easier to bowl than UAE.
    2. But as of now, both have done similarly well in Bangladesh and SL.
    3. Overseas, Yasir hasn't played and Ashwin played 6 tests out of 9 in Aussie pattas.

Logically, posters shouldn't be comparing both in tests cos as of now it even stevens according to common venues. Neither is Yasir better cos he is bowling in UAE nor is Ashwin better cos he has better Asian average. Time will tell who stands where.

Ash has a bigger sample set though in Asia as of now.

The End.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Ashwin highest wicket taker this year.

54 wickets at 18 runs a piece.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    4th 10fer for Ash

He will soon correct his overseas records. His bowling is phenomenal to say the least.

Those who watched the match today will know.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    4th 10fer for Ash

He will soon correct his overseas records. His bowling is phenomenal to say the least.

Those who watched the match today will know.
    Ashwin has the potential to average 30 outside Asia and lows 20s in Asia. But what he will finally achieve remains to be seen.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is a damn good bowler but i wouldnt judge him based on this series. Only 4 fifties been scored in 2 test matches.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Ashwin has the potential to average 30 outside Asia and lows 20s in Asia. But what he will finally achieve remains to be seen.
    Yes...have to see whether this is a flicker peak or he is gonna achieve it.

Today, Jaddu didn't get a wicket.

Mishra was very impactful during his 2 wicket spell (turned the game around) but apart from that wasn't all that great.

Ishant was good but couldn't break through.

It was an Ashwin show all the way. Right from giving us initiative to maintaining pressure to closing the game.

What could have happened if instead of Ash, there was some other offie playing? Match would have been much closer imho.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    He is a damn good bowler but i wouldnt judge him based on this series. Only 4 fifties been scored in 2 test matches.
    He ain't judged bcos of this series.

He is judged cos he has been doing well.

Tests - Averaged 19 in Bangladesh, 18 in SL and now this.

In ODIs, averaged 25 in WC 2015, 19 in Bangladesh ODI series.

T20 - Troubled Saffers, got wickets but after his overs, others got smashed.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes...have to see whether this is a flicker peak or he is gonna achieve it.

Today, Jaddu didn't get a wicket.

Mishra was very impactful during his 2 wicket spell (turned the game around) but apart from that wasn't all that great.

Ishant was good but couldn't break through.

It was an Ashwin show all the way. Right from giving us initiative to maintaining pressure to closing the game.

What could have happened if instead of Ash, there was some other offie playing? Match would have been much closer imho.
    Yes, had some one like Bhajji played for Ashwin, considering India's batting I have a feeling SA would have at least drawn the series.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He ain't judged bcos of this series.

He is judged cos he has been doing well.

Tests - Averaged 19 in Bangladesh, 18 in SL and now this.

In ODIs, averaged 25 in WC 2015, 19 in Bangladesh ODI series.

T20 - Troubled Saffers, got wickets but after his overs, others got smashed.
    He is a good bowler but this series definitely has helped him a lot bagging 24 wickets basically for giving away nothing.He definitely is the best spinner at the moment.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So far this series ----
    Ashwin 24 wickets avg 10.75 S/R 25.5

Mitch Johnson vs England like performance.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    He is a good bowler but this series definitely has helped him a lot bagging 24 wickets basically for giving away nothing.He definitely is the best spinner at the moment.
    Yeah some bullying going around in this series. Has been fun from the Indian pov though.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    That is your imagination. Check out Ashwin's stats before he went outside Asia and how it got battered there. Let us compare Ashwin and Yasir on common wickets they have already played.

Ashwin averages 19 in Bangladesh. Yasir averages 34 in Bangladesh.
    Ashwin averages 18 in SL. Yasir averages 19 in SL.

The sample sizes are small, but that is all we have for strict comparison. If Yasir is better than Ashwin then why he didn't do better in Bangladesh and SL? So all this talk about Yasir being better on unhelpful wickets is speculation. If my intuition is right, Yasir will average 40-50 during the Australian tour and will have his stats ruined to some extent - this is what happened to Ashwin during his early tours outside Asia.

And we have not yet begun to talk about Ashwin the ODI bowler and T20 bowler. And Ashwin the test batsman averaging 32 with test fifties outside Asia. Ashwin the player is far ahead of Yasir the player across all formats at this point of time.
    You mean Ashwin's first 12 matches? He was nowhere near Yasir Shah is at this stage.

Performances against Bangladesh are removed when comparing players, I think this was an established procedure. Sangakarra is dismissed as a minnow-basher but in Ashwin's case, Bangladesh is the standard for judging how good a player is? I don't think so.

In Sri Lanka, you can't pick one over the other. They were virtually equal, with Ashwin having slightly better stats but also a better supporting bowler. These were a total of five or six matches, with both bowlers in top form in Sri Lanka. Just because Ashwin was as good as Shah in Sri Lanka, doesn't mean that he'll keep this up for the future.

As far as neutral venues go, they have been equals. When you consider that Ashwin bowls on much easier pitches at home than Yasir Shah, you have to rate the bowler who is making things happen due to sheer skill, not because the pitch is taking the wickets for them.

Yasir may very well average 40 in Australia (which will still be much better than Ashwin's performance) but he's a leg-spinner and by definition, will get more turn on unhelpful tracks than an off-spinner will. Shane Warne has said that Shah has the best leg-spinner that he's ever seen. He's already getting the job done on the flat tracks in the UAE, with a little extra bounce he shouldn't be out of his depth, as Ashwin was. We shall see what happens.

It isn't like other spinners haven't been able to better Ashwin's performances out side the subcon; Ajmal was much better in England and South Africa and so was Swann. Yasir may or may not turn out to be as good as those two but it isn't impossible for a spinner to perform well in difficult conditions.

I have already said that Ashwin is the better LOI bowler and if I were to pick someone for my team, I would probably pick Ashwin due to his batting, although is seems like he's no better than Yasir, with the bat these days. Unlike some people here, I am not merely arguing for Shah because he is Pakistani or because I have a picture of him as my avatar but because I genuinely believe that he is the best test spinner on the planet, right now.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. Herath was like Hussey (Michael). Couldn't find a spot for years and when he finally did, he had years of experience and maturity to play the best his skills could offer.

Ashwin is younger and will better Kumble by the time he retires. He's still immature in regard to the way he inevitably bowls a carrom ball after 3 offspinners that beat the bat - the opposite of what someone like a Warne recommends.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Not really. Herath was like Hussey (Michael). Couldn't find a spot for years and when he finally did, he had years of experience and maturity to play the best his skills could offer.

Ashwin is younger and will better Kumble by the time he retires. He's still immature in regard to the way he inevitably bowls a carrom ball after 3 offspinners that beat the bat - the opposite of what someone like a Warne recommends.
    I said nothing about Ashwin's potential in the future. Herath was simply better before his decline, than Ashwin is now. If it makes you feel any better, I think that Herath was better than Shah as well. This is because he wasn't just bullying teams at home but also giving the goods overseas.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You mean Ashwin's first 12 matches? He was nowhere near Yasir Shah is at this stage.

Performances against Bangladesh are removed when comparing players, I think this was an established procedure. Sangakarra is dismissed as a minnow-basher but in Ashwin's case, Bangladesh is the standard for judging how good a player is? I don't think so.

In Sri Lanka, you can't pick one over the other. They were virtually equal, with Ashwin having slightly better stats but also a better supporting bowler. These were a total of five or six matches, with both bowlers in top form in Sri Lanka. Just because Ashwin was as good as Shah in Sri Lanka, doesn't mean that he'll keep this up for the future.

As far as neutral venues go, they have been equals. When you consider that Ashwin bowls on much easier pitches at home than Yasir Shah, you have to rate the bowler who is making things happen due to sheer skill, not because the pitch is taking the wickets for them.

Yasir may very well average 40 in Australia (which will still be much better than Ashwin's performance) but he's a leg-spinner and by definition, will get more turn on unhelpful tracks than an off-spinner will. Shane Warne has said that Shah has the best leg-spinner that he's ever seen. He's already getting the job done on the flat tracks in the UAE, with a little extra bounce he shouldn't be out of his depth, as Ashwin was. We shall see what happens.

It isn't like other spinners haven't been able to better Ashwin's performances out side the subcon; Ajmal was much better in England and South Africa and so was Swann. Yasir may or may not turn out to be as good as those two but it isn't impossible for a spinner to perform well in difficult conditions.

I have already said that Ashwin is the better LOI bowler and if I were to pick someone for my team, I would probably pick Ashwin due to his batting, although is seems like he's no better than Yasir, with the bat these days. Unlike some people here, I am not merely arguing for Shah because he is Pakistani or because I have a picture of him as my avatar but because I genuinely believe that he is the best test spinner on the planet, right now.
    Different bowlers take off at different times. In order to compare Yasir with Ashwin, he has to play at least two years, lest we make the same mistake we made in judging bowlers like Ajanta Mendis who was initially claimed the "successor of Murali". New spinners are some times very successful but as batsmen study their game, they are unable to maintain their lofty standards after a while. Which is why you need to give at least two years.

Ashwin's past is well besides him now. For about an year now, Ashwin has been astounding - this year he has bagged 54 wickets @ 17.81 at a S/R of 34.2. These are extraordinary bowling figures for any spinner bowling anywhere in the world. He is taking 5fer after 5fer inspite of very good home bowlers (Jadeja and Mishra) bowling alongside him.

Any discussion is open only after Yasir tours places like Australia or SA where Ashwin has already toured. The most successful recent spinner to Australia (Swann with 20 wickets) averages 50 there since 2010.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Different bowlers take off at different times. In order to compare Yasir with Ashwin, he has to play at least two years, lest we make the same mistake we made in judging bowlers like Ajanta Mendis who was initially claimed the "successor of Murali". New spinners are some times very successful but as batsmen study their game, they are unable to maintain their lofty standards after a while. Which is why you need to give at least two years.

Ashwin's past is well besides him now. For about an year now, Ashwin has been astounding - this year he has bagged 54 wickets @ 17.81 at a S/R of 34.2. These are extraordinary bowling figures for any spinner bowling anywhere in the world. He is taking 5fer after 5fer inspite of very good home bowlers (Jadeja and Mishra) bowling alongside him.

Any discussion is open only after Yasir tours places like Australia or SA where Ashwin has already toured. The most successful recent spinner to Australia (Swann with 20 wickets) averages 50 there since 2010.
    Yasir Shah taking to test cricket so quickly is part of his appeal. Neither of them have played for too long so a comparison between them is fitting. If you think that they shouldn't be compared then I don't see why you are doing so.

Ashwin cannot escape his past, he was terrible outside the subcontinent and just because he has improved now doesn't mean that those records will be wiped away. Who knows what happens when he tours Australia or England next? He could has lost this purple patch that he's in or perhaps bowling on pitches where all he needs to do, in order to be successful, is to pitch the ball in the right area and put some revs on it, will make him unable to deal with pitches where spin bowlers have to put in a lot of effort. You cannot claim that he'll suddenly do a lot better overseas.

The discussion is open. Ashwin has failed in those places, he doesn't get to be the best spin bowler in the world just for showing up and rolling his arm. Like I said before, Yasir Shah trumps Ashwin on a variety of fronts and when he does perform better than Ashwin overseas, it won't change anything because Shah is already the better test bowler.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said nothing about Ashwin's potential in the future. Herath was simply better before his decline, than Ashwin is now.
    In what way? You liked the way he bowled, his stats were better or his personality?

I liked Herath, by the way, if it is of any relevance.

If it makes you feel any better.
    Oh, I'm feel great today. Thank you.

This is because he wasn't just bullying teams at home but also giving the goods overseas.
    Where were these goods delivered, cos he averaged 42 away.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    In what way? You liked the way he bowled, his stats were better or his personality?

I liked Herath, by the way, if it is of any relevance.

Oh, I'm feel great today. Thank you.

Where were these goods delivered, cos he averaged 42 away.
    Herath was better because he performed admirably overseas, including places like South Africa and Australia. Ashwin failed and in his own words "was dropped for a year" after an especially bad showing in South Africa. Yasir Shah is untested and just like how we cannot presume that he'll fail overseas, we cannot presume that he'll succeed either.

This seems like a rehash of my earlier post so please do not keep going in circles.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herath was better because he performed admirably overseas, including places like South Africa and Australia. Ashwin failed and in his own words "was dropped for a year" after an especially bad showing in South Africa. Yasir Shah is untested and just like how we cannot presume that he'll fail overseas, we cannot presume that he'll succeed either.

This seems like a rehash of my earlier post so please do not keep going in circles.
    I honestly don't care about Yasir Shah in this context.

Herath bowled decently in SA, it seems (didn't see it). But I fail to see how he delivered the goods or bowled 'admirably' on the whole overseas.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I honestly don't care about Yasir Shah in this context.

Herath bowled decently in SA, it seems (didn't see it). But I fail to see how he delivered the goods or bowled 'admirably' on the whole overseas.
    Averages 33 in Australia, 27 in South Africa and bowled better than his records show in England. What can you not comprehend?

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as Ashwin plays in Asia, he will be lethal and always has been. His problem is when touring Aus/SA and England.

Same with Yasir Shah.

Until these 2 players can prove themselves outside of Asia, they will be just Asian bullies.

Indian phast bowlers can only bowl at 100k and they lose their radar striving for that extra 20k.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yasir Shah taking to test cricket so quickly is part of his appeal. Neither of them have played for too long so a comparison between them is fitting. If you think that they shouldn't be compared then I don't see why you are doing so.

Ashwin cannot escape his past, he was terrible outside the subcontinent and just because he has improved now doesn't mean that those records will be wiped away. Who knows what happens when he tours Australia or England next? He could has lost this purple patch that he's in or perhaps bowling on pitches where all he needs to do, in order to be successful, is to pitch the ball in the right area and put some revs on it, will make him unable to deal with pitches where spin bowlers have to put in a lot of effort. You cannot claim that he'll suddenly do a lot better overseas.

The discussion is open. Ashwin has failed in those places, he doesn't get to be the best spin bowler in the world just for showing up and rolling his arm. Like I said before, Yasir Shah trumps Ashwin on a variety of fronts and when he does perform better than Ashwin overseas, it won't change anything because Shah is already the better test bowler.
    I didn't start this thread. You have to ask the OP why this thread was created. I haven't seriously tried to compare them in this thread, other than comparing them in places they have both played. Because all other comparisons are speculations. I essentially think that this comparison does not make sense until Yasir plays outside his comfort zone - I have made it very clear earlier.

You have said many times that Kohli made all those hundreds on Australian phattas but somehow want to deride Ashwin for mediocre performances on the same phattas. You can't have the cake, and eat it too. FYI, Ashwin did not get to play on favourable surfaces on overseas tours - like Durban and Adelaide where Jadeja and an unknown Karan Sharma were played. Ashwin has made a complete turnaround this year whether you want to accept or not - it was clear to those who watched the WC - how he was among the best spinners during the WC on Australian roads where he averaged 25 and conceded 4.28 runs where 300 scores were common place. Since then he has not looked back, in both ODIs and tests. Yeah, he may have ups and downs in future - but Ashwin has already proved that he has the mental strength to come back from the lows. Ashwin has gone through a phase where he was even called a "quota player" and has emerged very strongly. Yasir is yet to prove that he can survive bad times and tough conditions which appear sooner or later to all players.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excited to see how Ashwin does in the Tri-series in Jan. He showed he's a much improved bowler on Aussie pitches. It'll be a while before we tour away for tests, could well be July-Sep (vs Pak in Eng) next year. Or 2017 tour to SA but if Ashwin's progress is anything to by, he'll be one of India's key player if we're to win a test/series away.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is the best spin in the world by an absolute mile. Yasir will struggle in England but that won't make him a bad bowler, he is good solid leg spinner but when I watch him I think he lacks the consistent big spinning leg break to take wickets consistently abroad.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Ashwin is the best spin in the world by an absolute mile. Yasir will struggle in England but that won't make him a bad bowler, he is good solid leg spinner but when I watch him I think he lacks the consistent big spinning leg break to take wickets consistently abroad.
    Can you elaborate your reasoning?

Even Ash hasn't taken that many wickets outside Asia yet . He is likely to imho (has improved lots) but yet to do it. So why is he better than Yasir by an absolute mile?

I mean what's the yardstick used to compare both?
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 28th November 2015 at 00:08.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    ^Or you talking about all formats? In that case, yeah agreed.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    Excited to see how Ashwin does in the Tri-series in Jan. He showed he's a much improved bowler on Aussie pitches. It'll be a while before we tour away for tests, could well be July-Sep (vs Pak in Eng) next year. Or 2017 tour to SA but if Ashwin's progress is anything to by, he'll be one of India's key player if we're to win a test/series away.
    Yeah i cant wait for that series to happen. should be a lot of fun.

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I agree Chuckwin is a great player!

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's only getting better.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Crucial runs with the bat as well in this match.

Such an asset.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another 5-fer for Ash. People like @Bilal7 can keep denying. But there's no doubt that Ashwin is the number one spinner in the world

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Best offspinner since Murali. Him and Swann of course

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spectacular performance on a UAE like FSK wicket. Ash is a born match winner, got his fifth MOS in only his fourth year of cricket. A bit early to say, but Ashwin will eclipse Kumble at this rate.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Very underrated cricketer. 176 Test wkts @ 25 and 1.2k Test runs @ 32. Not bad going after 30 odd Tests.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spectacular performance on a UAE like FSK wicket. Ash is a born match winner, got his fifth MOS in only his fourth year of cricket. A bit early to say, but Ashwin will eclipse Kumble at this rate.

Jumbo on these pitches would have been mayhem.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SL_Fan View Post
    Very underrated cricketer. 176 Test wkts @ 25 and 1.2k Test runs @ 32. Not bad going after 30 odd Tests.

Underrated what?

Probably the most priced all formats cricketer in the world today. Only someone who lives under a rock probably underrates Ashwin.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For my money, Ashwin is currently the #1 Cricketer in the world. I am to debate on this.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RA should end up with 450 test wickets at about 28 a piece with a batting avg of 30, he may well gone down as a great all rounder if all fall into place...

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    RA should end up with 450 test wickets at about 28 a piece with a batting avg of 30, he may well gone down as a great all rounder if all fall into place...
    Well...he has to suck super duper hyper duper bad outside Asia to end up with 28 average.

Dude averages 20.47 in Asia and 20.92 in India. Except for the 2012 England tour where he averaged 56, he has averaged 22 or below in pretty much every series in Asia.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...ng;view=series

His career should be interesting to watch.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    If he improves his performance outside Asia, and maintains his performance in Asia, and he does not play much past his sell date, he can average 25 with the ball. With the bat, his talent is never in question, but his performances have been a mixed bag - it could end up anywhere between 25-40.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If India continues to produce spinning pitches, RA will continuously have to face competition from young home spinners too. At some point, his off spins might lose the venom they have now and some budding left arm offie or a right arm offie/leggie might come along and seem more threatening. Kumble held his own when we played on flatter pitches.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    #1 ranked test bowler in the world.

871 points.

Congrats Ravi!

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best spinner in the world

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    #1 ranked test bowler in the world.

871 points.

Congrats Ravi!
    Wow, when did this happen..

Has dethroned Steyn after god knows how many years...

First Indian to become the no.1 Test bowler too apparently. Well done to him.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Steyn gun's been dethroned after 6 years.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Though Steyno getting injured has to an extent taken the sheen off this achievement. Ideally would have loved to see Ashwin surpassing a fit Sten but that's life. Long may this reign continue now.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post

Correction. Bedi has done this feat before. .

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup Bedi did it first. But this is special, occurred after many decades. He should be felicitated for this feat, honestly. WOuld be great encouragement for kids in India seeing a #1 bowler for a change We've given multiple #1 batsmen to world. Not many bowlers but.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post

Philander had taken the no.1 spot from Steyn for a while but yeah Steyn was the no.1 bowler for most of the last 8 years.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BCCI needs to pay Ashwin handsomely for his test credentials and give him break from useless Jamodis.
    Ashwin in fact should be banned now from T20 format so that he can concentrate on taking 400 test wickets by 2020

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best overall cricketer in the world.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The real question is, when's he going to put in some consistent notable performances outside of Asia.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    The real question is, when's he going to put in some consistent notable performances outside of Asia.
    Whenever he gets to play on a pitch that doesn't discriminate against off spin.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So he's only good when the pitch is in his favour?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Chennai, Tamilnadu
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This (bolded part) really made me chuckle hard, FC bro!

Baali Soda - INFJ-T

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Kashmiri Gate, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    312 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So he's only good when the pitch is in his favour?
    Yea obviously, dumbo. This is 2016, a spinner doesn't survive on a pitch that doesn't offer anything to him.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best overall cricketer in the world.

Alexis Sanchez. Theo Walcott. Azhar Ali. Haris Sohail. Fawad Alam. Orochimaru.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yea obviously, dumbo. This is 2016, a spinner doesn't survive on a pitch that doesn't offer anything to him.
    Resorting to insults when I've just clarified what you're saying, how mature of you.

I suppose Nathan Lyon has just build up that good test record mostly outside of Asia out of pure luck.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Resorting to insults when I've just clarified what you're saying, how mature of you.

I suppose Nathan Lyon has just build up that good test record mostly outside of Asia out of pure luck.
    What is Nathan lyon's credentials outside Australia?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    What is Nathan lyon's credentials outside Australia?

Better than his credentials in Australia with 86 wickets at a bowling average of 30.23.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chucks

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Better than his credentials in Australia with 86 wickets at a bowling average of 30.23.
    His performances in Asia is almost as bad as Ashwin's record in Australia. Ashwin's hasn't played too many tests outside Australia to judge him. He played one test in SA and 2 in England. We don't have too many finger spinners doing well in Australia anyways. Ashwin was okay in England.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    His performances in Asia is almost as bad as Ashwin's record in Australia. Ashwin's hasn't played too many tests outside Australia to judge him. He played one test in SA and 2 in England. We don't have too many finger spinners doing well in Australia anyways. Ashwin was okay in England.

Ok, not entirely sure that's the point though. Freelance was claiming Ashwin doesn't do well outside of Asia because the pitches don't favour him and that therefore no spinner succeeds. I've pointed out that Nathan Lyon does.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    He didn't get much chances outside Asia in tests anyways apart from Aus where he wasn't great clearly.

In ODIs, he is several notable performances outside Asia.

Performance in CT 2013 England plus the game changing spell in the finals.
    Good performance in ODI series win in England.
    Good performance in WC 2015.
    Good performance in tri series in WI (India-SL-WI) which we won.

Has had his flop moments too. SA bilaterals, NZ bilaterals and Aus in Aus though he does well against others in Aus.

So not a perfect record but nowhere close to outside Asia flop as he is portrayed to be. Every important tournament game, he has performed for India.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, not entirely sure that's the point though. Freelance was claiming Ashwin doesn't do well outside of Asia because the pitches don't favour him and that therefore no spinner succeeds. I've pointed out that Nathan Lyon does.
    Uh yes genius because lyon grew up on aussie pitches, so he knows and has plenty of experience bowling in Aussie conditions.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just love it when some people try to write off performances just because he is an Indian.
    The burn is just too much!

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best spinner EVER !! Blah blah

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    699 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is much better than what Chuckmal or chucknarine ever performed. And he's doing it all with a perfectly straight arm .