Instagram



Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 127
  1. #1
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Indians/Hindi-speakers: Why do you use "f" instead of "ph" used in Urdu?

    Online dictionaries suggest otherwise then why is it pronounced that way? An example possibly is the word "Phool" ('flower') from Urdu which is called "Fool" in Hindi. "Phir" becomes "Fir" and so on.

    Just thought that it was an interesting thing to ask about.........

    P.S.: Another interesting thing is the usage of "Z" and "J" absolutely contrary to Urdu. For example, "Darwaaza" ('door') as "Darwaaja" in Hindi, and "Jadojehadd" ('struggle'?) as "Zadozehadd".
    Last edited by DHONI183; 17th June 2011 at 17:07.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    begum becomes beGHum

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Dharti par
    Runs
    17,410
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    'Feer kuch kuch honay laga'

    Zaroor = Jaroor
    Zindabad = Jindabad
    Zaleel = Jaleel
    Zor = Jor
    Last edited by Khabri420; 17th June 2011 at 19:20.


    unkahi hi reh gayi woh baat, sab baaton ke baad

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jahil = Zahil :stylishexecutive

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So its zalebi and not Jalebi ?


  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    18,181
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IPL Jindabad!

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Dharti par
    Runs
    17,410
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Bangladeshis do the opposite. They would say Zalebi.

    It is , however, Jalebi


    unkahi hi reh gayi woh baat, sab baaton ke baad

  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Please send me Jalebis.......
    Last edited by DHONI183; 18th June 2011 at 10:28.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mere ko thooori si zalebi dene ka na

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spot on dhoni. def a pet peeve of mine when people mispronounce urdu words

    also commonly butchered- anything with a kh- like khan or khushi or khwaab..also ghalib becomes gaalib


    and jaheer khan...

  11. #11
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    mere ko thooori si zalebi dene ka na
    Meiney pehley maangi thi (I asked for it first) .

    Quote Originally Posted by dps2009 View Post
    spot on dhoni. def a pet peeve of mine when people mispronounce urdu words

    also commonly butchered- anything with a kh- like khan or khushi or khwaab..also ghalib becomes gaalib


    and jaheer khan...
    The ironical thing with the swapping of "Z" for "J" and vice versa is actually supported by the online dictionaries, as it says "Darwaaja" for 'door'. This is not the case with words such as "Phir" as the dictionary puts it right.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    In your imagination
    Runs
    2,032
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Online dictionaries suggest otherwise then why is it pronounced that way? An example possibly is the word "Phool" ('flower') from Urdu which is called "Fool" in Hindi. "Phir" becomes "Fir" and so on.

    Just thought that it was an interesting thing to ask about.........

    P.S.: Another interesting thing is the usage of "Z" and "J" absolutely contrary to Urdu. For example, "Darwaaza" ('door') as "Darwaaja" in Hindi, and "Jadojehadd" ('struggle'?) as "Zadozehadd".
    I really don't think any native Hindi speaker uses Fool or Darwaaja or Jadojehadd, although, I have seen multiple use of Fir.

    Most of the people in India learn Hindi as a second or third language and there is always some influence of their mother-tongue on they way they pronounce Hindi words. Hence, you get all these aberrations.


    My one regret in life is that I am not someone else.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    55,686
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko tere ko mere ko



    Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Schaden Freud View Post
    I really don't think any native Hindi speaker uses Fool or Darwaaja or Jadojehadd, although, I have seen multiple use of Fir.

    Most of the people in India learn Hindi as a second or third language and there is always some influence of their mother-tongue on they way they pronounce Hindi words. Hence, you get all these aberrations.
    Sunil Shetty is the biggest culprit on earth for this!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh i have seen plenty of people in the north say fool for phool, gajal for ghazal etc. and the worst part is when bollywood actors butcher these words( and even singers ).
    part of the reason is the decline of urdu as a language in india since independence. entire generations have grown up thinking that their misprounciation is the correct way to say the word.

    as to the mere ko tere ko, tune ( instead of tumne), that is pretty much delhi lingo, i used to use it growing up ( cringes), punjabi influence on hindi i think.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well what can I say, We Indians like 'f' a lot

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khabri420 View Post
    'Feer kuch kuch honay laga'

    Zaroor = Jaroor
    Zindabad = Jindabad
    Zaleel = Jaleel
    Zor = Jor
    Quote Originally Posted by Khabri420 View Post
    I think Bangladeshis do the opposite. They would say Zalebi.

    It is , however, Jalebi

    How, then, about Ramij Raza in this case!
    Last edited by DHONI183; 20th June 2011 at 09:46.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    55,686
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gavaskar always called Ijaaj


    Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

  19. #19
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Gavaskar always called Ijaaj
    Well, Gavaskar messes up VVS name too, whenever he choses to say the full name that is

  20. #20
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Bump!!!

    It was needed considering a few recent posts by Indian PPers.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe they do not have phay in Hindi so they use fay



    you know how Arabs do not have pay so they call us Bakistanis

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    maybe they do not have phay in Hindi so they use fay
    No, it does exist. It just that they pronounce it wrongly.

    The word "Phool" ('flower') is written like this in their script:

    फूल

    The word "Phir" ('then') is written like this in their script:

    फिर

    Don´t know whether it is a combination of two letters or it is only one. An Indian can confirm that I hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    you know how Arabs do not have pay so they call us Bakistanis
    I find it so funny!
    Last edited by DHONI183; 11th July 2011 at 11:42.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you put a bindi under the hindi Fa it should be Ph sound

    http://www.rizahmad.com/Docs/Urdu%20in%20Devanagari.pdf

  24. #24
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dps2009 View Post
    if you put a bindi under the hindi Fa it should be Ph sound

    http://www.rizahmad.com/Docs/Urdu%20in%20Devanagari.pdf
    Thanks for sharing this.

    By the way, does a "Bindi" exist in those words that I posted above (post # 22) ?
    Last edited by DHONI183; 11th July 2011 at 18:33.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    58,939
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two most annoying language related things are as follows

    The replacing Z with J

    and the Arabs replacing P with B


  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Thanks for sharing this.

    By the way, does a "Bindi" exist in those words that I posted above (post # 22) ?
    if i wrote phool in hindi i would put the bindi below the fa, so yes it does exist for the knowledgeable

    but if people think fool is the way to say phool then they would'nt bother with the bindi now will they

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
    The two most annoying language related things are as follows

    The replacing Z with J

    and the Arabs replacing P with B

    also replacing Q sound with k ( muqadmma as mukkadma etc)


    and butchering easy words like khan

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dps2009 View Post
    if you put a bindi under the hindi Fa it should be Ph sound

    http://www.rizahmad.com/Docs/Urdu%20in%20Devanagari.pdf
    bindi under the hindi - lol cool



    we call it a nuqta

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe they try to say everything like gore

    i mean we still call places in India the same old way , bombay , dilli , calcutta but they changed it to mumbaaaaaaaaaye , delli and kolkatta

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    1,620
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khabri420 View Post
    I think Bangladeshis do the opposite. They would say Zalebi.

    It is , however, Jalebi
    We actually call it jilapi.
    Last edited by Equinox; 15th July 2011 at 17:57.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    We actually call it jilapi.
    Interesting.......


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    urdu- Larka
    hindi-ladka
    english-boy

    i dont understand why they write it like ladka but say it like larka. also pakar liya(hindi)pakad liya

    doesnt make sense to me


    افضال محمود

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i absolutely hate it when they say main ne us ko c-h-o-d dia

    it is CHORR with an R people

  34. #34
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afzaal1988 View Post
    urdu- Larka
    hindi-ladka
    english-boy

    i dont understand why they write it like ladka but say it like larka. also pakar liya(hindi)pakad liya

    doesnt make sense to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    i absolutely hate it when they say main ne us ko c-h-o-d dia

    it is CHORR with an R people
    !

    The fact is that the alphabet ڑ doesn´t exist in English and thus they use either of "R" or "D".


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    1,014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    i absolutely hate it when they say main ne us ko c-h-o-d dia

    it is CHORR with an R people
    you have a point

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    434
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    !

    The fact is that the alphabet ڑ doesn´t exist in English and thus they use either of "R" or "D".
    well they dont use R in ladka do they? or even in choar(i m not gona write like they do because i might get in trouble by mods)


    افضال محمود

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they censored it anyway so you cannot use it

  38. #38
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, on the set of "Kaun Banega Crorepati" Season Five, Amitabh Bachchan used the word "Jilla´h" for 'district'.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,465
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again the same thing. Originally, Hindi did NOT have the sound of "Z" or "Ph". They had sounds of "J" and "F". So, literary scholars starting adding a bindi (dot) at the bottom of the alphabet J and F to denote the sound of "Z" and "Ph". Just like someone posted the pics above.

    However, most people who learn to read and write Hindi never bother with this distinction. We are taught it in school but it's not a big deal. And then also comes the influence from how you hear it around you. More often than not, when you hear it as "J" and "F", people tend to just forget the whole distinction between the "J" and the "J with the dot" and start using J and F.

    However, I have always been divided on the use of Phal/Fal. Can someone give me the origins of this word? When I read the Bhagavad Gita, the word for fruit in Sanskrit is actually Phal/Fal. So that means the word was present even before the Islamic invasion. And knowing there is not the "Ph" sound in Sanskrit (despite some people pronouncing it as Ph and most people writing it as Ph - a recent thing), I think it is correctly pronounced as Fal. I tried searching if Phal has a Persian origin to it, but couldn't find it. Or it could be that since Fal was present in Sanskirt, but it was adopted in Urdu with the "Ph" sound?
    Last edited by RWAC; 19th August 2011 at 21:05.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWAC View Post
    Again the same thing. Originally, Hindi did NOT have the sound of "Z" or "Ph". They had sounds of "J" and "F". So, literary scholars starting adding a bindi (dot) at the bottom of the alphabet J and F to denote the sound of "Z" and "Ph". Just like someone posted the pics above.

    However, most people who learn to read and write Hindi never bother with this distinction. We are taught it in school but it's not a big deal. And then also comes the influence from how you hear it around you. More often than not, when you hear it as "J" and "F", people tend to just forget the whole distinction between the "J" and the "J with the dot" and start using J and F.

    However, I have always been divided on the use of Phal/Fal. Can someone give me the origins of this word? When I read the Bhagavad Gita, the word for fruit in Sanskrit is actually Phal/Fal. So that means the word was present even before the Islamic invasion. And knowing there is not the "Ph" sound in Sanskrit (despite some people pronouncing it as Ph and most people writing it as Ph - a recent thing), I think it is correctly pronounced as Fal. I tried searching if Phal has a Persian origin to it, but couldn't find it. Or it could be that since Fal was present in Sanskirt, but it was adopted in Urdu with the "Ph" sound?
    A very good and informative post which contained a lot of unkown stuff.

    I think, since you said that "Fal" is a Sanskrit word, it probably is the case that it was adopted so in Urdu as well. The Arabic word for 'fruit' is totally a different one.

    Thanks once again!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWAC View Post
    Again the same thing. Originally, Hindi did NOT have the sound of "Z" or "Ph". They had sounds of "J" and "F". So, literary scholars starting adding a bindi (dot) at the bottom of the alphabet J and F to denote the sound of "Z" and "Ph". Just like someone posted the pics above.
    So basically it is Anna Hajare?


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Sep 2009
    Venue
    Durban (S.A)
    Runs
    7,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    So basically it is Anna Hajare?
    a bit off topic..................but i always though Anna Hazare was a woman until i saw his pic

    never understood how a man was name anna --- thought "she" would hv been a christian indian lady lol


    Aik Tsunami Aik Toufaan! Imran Khan Imran Khan!

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,465
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    So basically it is Anna Hajare?
    Nope it is Hazare still. There is no such (similar) word in Sanskrit. The word for thousand is different in Hindi/Sanskrit - Sahasra.

    This is most definitely a derivation of the Persian word - Hazaar.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,465
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket_fever View Post
    a bit off topic..................but i always though Anna Hazare was a woman until i saw his pic

    never understood how a man was name anna --- thought "she" would hv been a christian indian lady lol
    Lol I don't blame you. I used to call a Tamil friend of mine "Anna" and this Ethiopian guy thought I called him "Anne"

    Actually, it's not pronounced like the English "Anna" but "Ann-Na" (a protracted N sound after A). It means "brother".

  45. #45
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWAC View Post
    Nope it is Hazare still. There is no such (similar) word in Sanskrit. The word for thousand is different in Hindi/Sanskrit - Sahasra.

    This is most definitely a derivation of the Persian word - Hazaar.
    But the Wikipedia page says that in Marathi the pronunciation should read Anna Hajare.......

    Link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Hazare


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,465
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    But the Wikipedia page says that in Marathi the pronunciation should read Anna Hajare.......

    Link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Hazare
    Hmm..I looked into it. Most likely seems that mistake that people make. I know dead sure there is no word "Hajaar" in Hindi that is equivalent to Hazaar (thousand). I tried searching if "Hajare" is a caste/ethnic name. It didn't give me any results (all linked to "Hazare"). Most likely the person editing it wrote it the way Marathis would say it i.e. with a J and not a Z. Doesn't make it correct.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWAC View Post
    Hmm..I looked into it. Most likely seems that mistake that people make. I know dead sure there is no word "Hajaar" in Hindi that is equivalent to Hazaar (thousand). I tried searching if "Hajare" is a caste/ethnic name. It didn't give me any results (all linked to "Hazare"). Most likely the person editing it wrote it the way Marathis would say it i.e. with a J and not a Z. Doesn't make it correct.
    Thanks for your further help. It is probably a mistake.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    1,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by ITGuy; 24th September 2011 at 20:12.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ITGuy View Post
    Is there anything special in it which I might have missed out on?


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ITGuy View Post
    Is there anything special in it which I might have missed out on?
    Just re-checked video. It is awesome from 05:35 !


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    My latest 'Bakra' is our own PP-er Freelance_Cricketer (http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/member.php?u=65183).

    Posts:

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...21&postcount=8

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...8&postcount=13

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...6&postcount=82

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...&postcount=133

    I guess there are only three possibilities now on PP:

    1. I will leave PP for his sake.

    2. He will leave PP to avoid getting annoyed.

    3. He will learn it (less likely of course).........

    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Gavaskar always called Ijaaj
    Sunil Gavaskar referred to Aizaz Cheema as Aijaj Cheema. So many years and he hasn´t picked it......


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    5,298
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious about another thread title, what does Baisiti mean


    They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!!

  53. #53
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moumotta View Post
    Just curious about another thread title, what does Baisiti mean
    You are probably referring to the following thread......

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...d.php?t=150272

    To my knowledge the correct word should be "Bey-izzatee" ('Insult' or 'Non-respect to be exact literally) which is derived from the word "Izzat" ('Respect').

    So that I think isn´t correct either.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    404
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a bangladeshi player called Jahirul Islam.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    There's a bangladeshi player called Jahirul Islam.
    Yeah, they mess it up as well.......


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    You are probably referring to the following thread......

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...d.php?t=150272

    To my knowledge the correct word should be "Bey-izzatee" ('Insult' or 'Non-respect to be exact literally) which is derived from the word "Izzat" ('Respect').

    So that I think isn´t correct either.
    'Disrespect' is of course the better one but I used 'Non' to explain the "Bey" of Urdu.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The following deserves to be highlight here......

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...postcount=6168

    .....


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    5,298
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can add j and z to the list. Indians tend to mix the two with a bias towards j.

    It appears Pakistanis do the same but their bias tends towards z. Example, I see the word 'zaat' used frequently. The correct spelling (and pronunciation) should be jaat.


    They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!!

  59. #59
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moumotta View Post
    You can add j and z to the list. Indians tend to mix the two with a bias towards j.
    If you read the opening post carefully, it is also mentioned there.

    Quote Originally Posted by moumotta View Post
    It appears Pakistanis do the same but their bias tends towards z. Example, I see the word 'zaat' used frequently. The correct spelling (and pronunciation) should be jaat.
    Any sources? I am now interested in this because I myself use the word "Zaat".


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    5,298
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hindi word jaati often shortened to jaat, derived from the Sanskrit jāta, “born” or “brought into existence,” and indicates a form of existence determined by birth

    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/301596/jati


    They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!!

  61. #61
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moumotta View Post
    Hindi word jaati often shortened to jaat, derived from the Sanskrit jāta, “born” or “brought into existence,” and indicates a form of existence determined by birth

    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/301596/jati
    Very interesting....... Thanks but I don´t think I can adapt it that easily.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    5,298
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Very interesting....... Thanks but I don´t think I can adapt it that easily.
    No one needs to change. Words mean what the speaker and the hearer understand them to be. Phool or fool does not matter as long as the users know what they mean.


    They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!!

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How come Indians pronounce the english Z fine but always end up saying Jaheer Khan ?

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,465
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ Because he's our very own "Jaheer". No feeling of familiarity calling him Zaheer.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jyada much much nahi karne ka kia ?

  66. #66
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,465
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abbe tu kyun jabardasti shaana ban raha hai be?

  67. #67
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    5,682
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moumotta View Post
    Hindi word jaati often shortened to jaat, derived from the Sanskrit jāta, “born” or “brought into existence,” and indicates a form of existence determined by birth

    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/301596/jati
    i didnt know this, will pbly still say it zaat.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWAC View Post
    Abbe tu kyun jabardasti shaana ban raha hai be?
    bhai ki shanpati akkha mumbai maiN world famous hai bole tou

  69. #69
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    You are probably referring to the following thread......

    http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...d.php?t=150272

    To my knowledge the correct word should be "Bey-izzatee" ('Insult' or 'Non-respect to be exact literally) which is derived from the word "Izzat" ('Respect').

    So that I think isn´t correct either.
    In that case, what does 'be-lihaaz' mean?

    Thanks!

  70. #70
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,465
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    In that case, what does 'be-lihaaz' mean?

    Thanks!
    Lihaaz means "regard". So be-lihaaz would be disregard. Mostly used to describe a person.

    Ex. Someone who says things without giving a consideration to the setting/people around him - belihaaz.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very interesting conversation indeed. Am very surprised that the 'fa' sound is from Sanskrit. Had always thought that it is Perso-Arabic in origin.

    And to clear things up, adding the bindi below 'ja' and 'pha' makes them 'za' and 'fa'. This of course extends to other letters as well like 'ka' which becomes 'qa' with the dot below. But these are normally not emphasised in Hindi speech and in writing but writing or saying 'ja' instead of 'za' and 'pha' instead of 'fa' in incorrect situations would normally be considered wrong in Standard Hindi Speech and Writing.
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 10th May 2012 at 04:35.

  72. #72
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    7,004
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are different accents you see. Like Punjabis pronounce "prayas"(effort) as "paryas".




    MS Dhoni - Greatest Captain ever

  73. #73
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Just tweeted this thread to a friend who used the word "jaroor" over there.....
    Last edited by DHONI183; 19th December 2012 at 07:56. Reason: A ":" removed and few needless full-stops too


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians , how would you say this ? Faakhta phur se urr gayi

    Phakta fur se ud gayi ?

  75. #75
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    Indians , how would you say this ? Faakhta phur se urr gayi

    Phakta fur se ud gayi ?
    Wonderful, brilliant question for Indians!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Indians/Hindi-speakers: Why do you use "f" instead of "ph" used in Urdu:

    Yesterday, my brother showed me some Facebook message in which an Indian man was praising some lady's hair by saying "Haseen julfei`n"!

    Someone please kill me right now!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    2,732
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh kis jalim haseena ki julphoN ki baat ho rahi thi ? Jara tasveer tou dikhaiN


    Kaisa dia ☪

  78. #78
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Indians/Hindi-speakers: Why do you use "f" instead of "ph" used in Urdu:

    Quote Originally Posted by LooneyReturns View Post
    Yeh kis jalim haseena ki julphoN ki baat ho rahi thi ? Jara tasveer tou dikhaiN
    Be you cursed! After the 'J' that you have used above in place of 'Z', picture sharing is not happening!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Runs
    2,732
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh tou jiyadti hai


    Kaisa dia ☪

  80. #80
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,121
    Mentioned
    1006 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Indians/Hindi-speakers: Why do you use "f" instead of "ph" used in Urdu:

    Quote Originally Posted by LooneyReturns View Post
    Yeh tou jiyadti hai
    Get out! Immediately!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •