Instagram


The Cricket Paper

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 240 of 566
  1. #161
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barqi - electric from barq
    Qamqama - didn't know this but lightbulb according to my dictionary???
    bara - err big
    tabdeel - change



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  2. #162
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I guess the translation is an electric light bulb's big change that stops...

    Now, it makes alot more sense

    Thanks @TAK, hope I had a dictionary as good as yours, the online ones are pretty limited...

  3. #163
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    So, I guess the translation is an electric light bulb's big change that stops...

    Now, it makes alot more sense

    Thanks @TAK, hope I had a dictionary as good as yours, the online ones are pretty limited...
    online i use farsidic.com and urduseek.com

    you may find them useful but it's handier if you know the farsi/urdu script



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  4. #164
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, thanks for the references Problem is I can't read Urdu...

  5. #165
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Meaning needed for the word 'khulaastan'. Do give a sample sentence using the words to better explain its usage in everyday context.

    Thanks!

  6. #166
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you sure it isn't gulistaan, which is a rose garden and one of the gardens of paradise i believe??

    gul = rose
    staan = place of



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  7. #167
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    I found this for 'khulaastan' in the web: 'Ise main jara khulaastan likh rahaa hun.' It seems to mean 'I will be writing this in a little -----' Is the word then related to time or something like that? Can someone confirm?

    Anyway, words for today:

    naayaab (नायाब)
    naariyaa bail (नारिया बैल)

    Thanks!

  8. #168
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    naayaab (नायाब) - rare/unusual
    naariyaa bail (नारिया बैल) - cocunut ?? naaryal
    Last edited by TAK; 15th January 2012 at 11:43.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  9. #169
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Words for today:

    naavishtah (नाविश्तः)
    naahamavaar/naahamvaar (नाहमवार)

    Thanks!

  10. #170
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    Anyway, word for today:

    naayaab (नायाब)

    Thanks!
    naayaab (नायाब) - rare/unusual
    Another word for 'Unusual' is "Ghair maamooli".

    "England Cricket Team ka Asia mey´n haarna ghair maamooli baat nahi hai" ('England Cricket Team being defeated in Asia is not an unusual thing').

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    Words for today:

    naavishtah (नाविश्तः)
    naahamavaar/naahamvaar (नाहमवार)

    Thanks!
    Sorry, never heard them before.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  11. #171
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

    Words for today:

    nishaanaat (निशानात)
    nisbat (निस्बत)

    Thanks!

  12. #172
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    makhsus
    mustarat
    salab
    ehteraam
    aitmaad
    tarjumaani

  13. #173
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post


    Sorry, never heard them before.
    hamvaar = stable/even

    so na-hamvaar must be unstable/uneven??



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  14. #174
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makhsus - special/particular
    mustarat overrule (mustarad)
    salab - flood (sehlaab)
    ehteraam - respecr
    aitmaad - confidence
    tarjumaani - translateion



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  15. #175
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nishaanaat (निशानात) - plural of nishana, target/sign
    nisbat (निस्बत) - in relation/in proportion to



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  16. #176
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    I would like to make a few queries based on the subtle differences between the words I have learnt recently.

    1. alaamat vs nishaan - Both seem to mean signs or symbols.

    2. lihaaz vs izzat - Both seem to mean respect. So, if I want to say 'Respect your elders.', will it be 'tumhaare bare logon ko izzat karo OR lihaaz karo.'

    3. naadir vs naayaab vs ghair maamoolii - All seem to mean unusual or rare. Which refers to rare luxuries like gems etc. and which refers to unusual things or happenings like Canada winning the Cricket World Cup...(just jokin'

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 19th January 2012 at 02:45.

  17. #177
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    murtaqib
    alaahida
    kalma
    muntazmeen
    munazzam
    qalandar
    albatta


    english to urdu:

    immunity

  18. #178
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    nishaanaat (निशानात) - plural of nishana, target/sign
    It´s a plural of "Nishaan" which possibly means 'Sign' or 'Mark', 'Spot'.

    I don´t think it has got much to do with "Nishana" ('Target').


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  19. #179
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    I would like to make a few queries based on the subtle differences between the words I have learnt recently.

    1. alaamat vs nishaan - Both seem to mean signs or symbols.

    2. lihaaz vs izzat - Both seem to mean respect. So, if I want to say 'Respect your elders.', will it be 'tumhaare bare logon ko izzat karo OR lihaaz karo.'

    3. naadir vs naayaab vs ghair maamoolii - All seem to mean unusual or rare. Which refers to rare luxuries like gems etc. and which refers to unusual things or happenings like Canada winning the Cricket World Cup...(just jokin'

    Thanks!
    Hi,

    Also, what is the difference between 'nisbat' and 'nisabat'? Please provide sample sentences for its usage.

    Thanks!

  20. #180
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    I would like to make a few queries based on the subtle differences between the words I have learnt recently.

    1. alaamat vs nishaan - Both seem to mean signs or symbols.

    2. lihaaz vs izzat - Both seem to mean respect. So, if I want to say 'Respect your elders.', will it be 'tumhaare bare logon ko izzat karo OR lihaaz karo.'

    3. naadir vs naayaab vs ghair maamoolii - All seem to mean unusual or rare. Which refers to rare luxuries like gems etc. and which refers to unusual things or happenings like Canada winning the Cricket World Cup...(just jokin'

    Thanks!
    1. "Alaamat" is not used for 'Spot', 'Mark' etc. It is mostly used in phrases such as "Mustaqbil ki alaamat" ('Sign of the future').

    2. "Izzat" should be used in this context.

    3. Have never heard "Naadir" so can hardly comment on it. "Nayaab heera" means 'Rare diamond', and "Ghair maamooli jeet" means 'Unusual victory'.

    I hope it helps.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  21. #181
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Thanks for the explanation @DHONI183! So, I guess 'alamat' means more of indication of something while 'nishaan' means physical marks on something. But which do we to describe symptoms/signs of diseases. Is it 'alamat'?

    When do we use 'lihaaz' which means respect or regard?

    Also, do clarify 'nisbat' and 'nisabat' usage.
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 20th January 2012 at 15:28.

  22. #182
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for the explanation @DHONI183! So, I guess 'alamat' means more of indication of something while 'nishaan' means physical marks on something. But which do we to describe symptoms/signs of diseases. Is it 'alamat'?
    Yes, to describe the symptoms/signs of a disease the word "Alaamat" should be used.

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    When do we use 'lihaaz' which means respect or regard?
    It is very tough to translate this word literally. Still, I would like to post a few examples.....

    "Kisi ki umr ka lihaaz karna."

    A situation......

    If a person older than you is very indecent etc. and ends up slaping you in an incident, you would surely not respect such a person but still would keep the "Lihaaz" of his age.

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Also, do clarify 'nisbat' and 'nisabat' usage.
    Sorry, can´t help much......


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  23. #183
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Some more words...

    nisbal (निस्बल)
    niiz (नीज़)
    niilguun (नीलगूं)
    nuks/nukhs (नुक्स/नुख्स)

    Not sure of the pronunciation of the last one... Do write out sample sentences for them if possible to enhance understanding.

    Thanks!

  24. #184
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    It is very tough to translate this word literally. Still, I would like to post a few examples.....

    "Kisi ki umr ka lihaaz karna."

    A situation......

    If a person older than you is very indecent etc. and ends up slaping you in an incident, you would surely not respect such a person but still would keep the "Lihaaz" of his age.
    Another way to use this word.......

    "Awaam ke lihaaz se Asif Ali Zardari eik achcha sadr nahi hai.

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    Some more words...

    nisbal (निस्बल)
    niiz (नीज़)
    niilguun (नीलगूं)
    nuks/nukhs (नुक्स/नुख्स)

    Not sure of the pronunciation of the last one... Do write out sample sentences for them if possible to enhance understanding.

    Thanks!
    Sorry,...... Not sure what they mean...


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  25. #185
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please somebody respond to post no.177 and also to this post

    urdu to english:

    maskharaa
    ehtejaaj
    aar
    varbalaa

  26. #186
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    @DHONI183 my appreciation for your effort anyway ;) I learnt 2 more new words from your example. 'Awaam' and 'sadr'. The former means 'nation' while the latter means 'leader'

    So, words for today:

    paaydaar (पायदार)
    pukhtaa (पुख्ता)

    Thanks!

  27. #187
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

    More words:

    purgosht (पुरगोश्त)
    pusht (पुश्त)

    Thanks!

  28. #188
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    @DHONI183 my appreciation for your effort anyway ;) I learnt 2 more new words from your example. 'Awaam' and 'sadr'. The former means 'nation' while the latter means 'leader'
    A slight correction here: "Sadr" means 'President' and "Awaam" means 'Public.

    'Nation' - "Qoum" or "Qaum".

    'Leader' - Rehnuma´h.

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    So, words for today:

    paaydaar (पायदार)
    That had kept me busy the last two days or so! The translator has it as 'Sustainable' but I am not too sure about it.

    However, I can give an example here (without translation).......

    "Aapne barra paaydaar joota pehna hai" (I hope it´s correct and makes sense).

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    pukhtaa (पुख्ता)

    Thanks!
    'Firm' and/or 'Solid'. "Pukhta saboot" means 'Solid evidence'. Another word for 'Solid' is "Mazboot" but that cannot be used in a sentence like the aforementioned one (I think). "Mazboot deewaar" means 'Solid wall'.

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi All,

    More words:

    pusht (पुश्त)

    Thanks!
    It means 'Back-side'. "Sachch ki taraff pusht-pnahi akhteyaar karna" ('To turn your back-side towards the truth'.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  29. #189
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    It means 'Back-side'. "Sachch ki taraff pusht-pnahi akhteyaar karna" ('To turn your back-side towards the truth'.
    I got this bit terribly wrong! Will post its correction via my PC tomorrow (am typing this from my mobile).


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  30. #190
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    pusht (पुश्त)


    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    It means 'Back-side'. "Sachch ki taraff pusht-pnahi akhteyaar karna" ('To turn your back-side towards the truth'.
    I got this bit terribly wrong! Will post its correction via my PC tomorrow (am typing this from my mobile).
    Well right, here´s a correction.

    "Pusht-pnaahi" means 'To support someone from behind'.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  31. #191
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Thanks for all your effort @DHONI183!


    Now, words for today:

    peshekhemaa
    paraagandamii

    Thanks!

  32. #192
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for all your effort @DHONI183!


    Now, words for today:

    peshekhemaa
    paraagandagii

    Thanks!
    Please note the word is 'paraagandagii', not 'paraagandamii'.

  33. #193
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for all your effort @DHONI183!


    Now, words for today:

    peshekhemaa
    paraagandamii

    Thanks!
    Please note the word is 'paraagandagii', not 'paraagandamii'.
    I am sorry. I haven´t heard these words before.....


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  34. #194
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    muftalaa......woh khauf mein "muftalaa" hai
    kashidgi
    Zeenat
    hoor

  35. #195
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    mubasareen
    faaraag.....usko "faaraag" kar diya
    taqseen

  36. #196
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    multavi
    intekhaab
    naat
    naahil

    english to urdu:

    except

  37. #197
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    except - ke sivaay
    intikhaab - selection
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 19th February 2012 at 15:06.

  38. #198
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    multavi- cancel
    intekhaab- selection
    naat- words written in the praise of Prophet Muhammad SAW
    naahil-?

  39. #199
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manjdhar Saraa

  40. #200
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    except - ke sivaay
    intikhaab - selection
    or nah sivaah for except



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  41. #201
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mah sivaah



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  42. #202
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pukhtana View Post
    naahil-?
    could this word be na-ahl?

    this means incompetent/incapable



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  43. #203
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    muttabaatil
    astaghfirullah


    english to urdu:

    live....I mean "live" transmission

  44. #204
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulqarnain_Mohammad View Post
    urdu to english:

    muttabaatil
    'Replacement' or 'Alternative'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zulqarnain_Mohammad View Post
    astaghfirullah
    'I seek forgiveness from God'.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Istighfar

    It is from Arabic and not Urdu.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zulqarnain_Mohammad View Post
    english to urdu:

    live....I mean "live" transmission
    "Braah-e-raast" which also means 'Direct'.

    I hope it helped.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  45. #205
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulqarnain_Mohammad View Post
    urdu to english:

    muttabaatil
    astaghfirullah


    english to urdu:

    live....I mean "live" transmission

    muttabaadil - alternative/replacement



    barahe raast nasahreaat



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  46. #206
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    khair makhdam

    english to urdu:

    temperature

  47. #207
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mutaalba - demand

  48. #208
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. vaseeh
    2. vaaqiyaa (not 'vaakya' to mean sentence)

    Thanks!

  49. #209
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    84,969
    Mentioned
    1433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vaseeh = vast

    vaaqiya = event


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  50. #210
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosa_Zulqarnain View Post
    urdu to english:

    khair makhdam
    One hears this word on thousands of occasions on Pakistan news channels, and I understand this, but cannot translate to English.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moosa_Zulqarnain View Post
    english to urdu:

    temperature
    "Darja´h hraratt."


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  51. #211
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

    vaaqiya = event
    Would the above be equivalent to 'taqreeb' and 'prasang' to mean auspicious occasions/ceremonies or is it more like 'ghaTnaa' to mean an incident?

    Thanks!

  52. #212
    Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Would the above be equivalent to 'taqreeb' and 'prasang' to mean auspicious occasions/ceremonies or is it more like 'ghaTnaa' to mean an incident?

    Thanks!
    i think "incident" is a better word for vaaqiya than "event"

  53. #213
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosa_Zulqarnain View Post
    urdu to english:

    khair makhdam


    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosa_Zulqarnain View Post
    urdu to english:

    khair makhdam
    One hears this word on thousands of occasions on Pakistan news channels, and I understand this, but cannot translate to English.
    Right, have thought out something.

    "Khair maqdam" means 'To welcome' like in a decision or a happening.

    "Wazeer-e-Azam ney faisley ka khair maqdam kiya" should be translated as 'Prime Minister has welcomed the decision'.

    "Hum iss ka khair maqdam kartey hai´n ke Sialkot ab Champions League mey´n shirkatt karey gaa" should roughly be translated as 'We welcome it that Sialkot will now participate in the Champions League'.

    Note: Not to be confused with 'welcoming' of someone or someone´s visit, which in Urdu is "Khush aamdeed".

    I hope I am right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moosa_Zulqarnain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Would the above be equivalent to 'taqreeb' and 'prasang' to mean auspicious occasions/ceremonies or is it more like 'ghaTnaa' to mean an incident?

    Thanks!
    i think "incident" is a better word for vaaqiya than "event"
    Yeah, that´s perfect.
    Last edited by DHONI183; 20th May 2012 at 10:14.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  54. #214
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Right, have thought out something.

    "Khair maqdam" means 'To welcome' like in a decision or a happening.

    [I]"Wazeer-e-Azam ney faisley ka [U]khair maqdam kiya
    A small point about grammer here... Can I use 'ko' in your eg above instead of 'ka'?

    Thanks!

  55. #215
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. sharkan/sharakan (pronunciation to be corrected)
    2. shaaistagii

    Thanks!

  56. #216
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    vaseeh = vast
    I would like to enquire how exactly this word differs from 'kushaadaa' and 'faraakh' which I think carry some similar meanings.

    Do bring out the differences between the latter 2 words if possible too.

    Thanks!

  57. #217
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. sharkan/sharakan (pronunciation to be corrected)
    2. shaaistagii

    Thanks!
    is the first word sharakat ?

    if so this means partnership

    shaistagi is well mannered/politeness



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  58. #218
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    A small point about grammer here... Can I use 'ko' in your eg above instead of 'ka'?

    Thanks!
    ka



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  59. #219
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    I would like to enquire how exactly this word differs from 'kushaadaa' and 'faraakh' which I think carry some similar meanings.

    Do bring out the differences between the latter 2 words if possible too.

    Thanks!
    vaseeh and khushaada are very similar

    not come across faraakh before, thanks



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  60. #220
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    vaseeh and khushaada are very similar

    not come across faraakh before, thanks
    From Platts HU Dictionary:

    P فراخ farāḵẖ [v.n. of farāḵẖtan = afrāḵẖtan; Zend aiwi or aibi+rt. rag; S. अभि+लङ्क], adj. Open; wide, spacious, capacious, extensive, large, broad; ample, abundant, plentiful; cheap:—farāḵẖ-peshānī, adj. Having an open brow; having a broad forehead:—farāḵẖ-ḥauṣila, adj. Large-minded; high-minded:—farāḵẖ karnā, v.t. To widen, to expand, &c.

  61. #221
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post

    shaistagi is well mannered/politeness
    Is this synonymous with 'tahzeeb'?

    Thanks!

  62. #222
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. shaakir

  63. #223
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tehzeeb means culture

  64. #224
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. shaakir
    http://www.behindthename.com/name/shakir

    Means 'Thankful' in Arabic and comes from "Shukriya" which means 'Thanks'. Both the words are used in Urdu as well.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  65. #225
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Is this synonymous with 'tahzeeb'?

    Thanks!
    more synynonmous with muhazib which comes from tehzeeb



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  66. #226
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    is the first word sharakat ?

    if so this means partnership

    shaistagi is well mannered/politeness
    So, to say 'Speak to him politely!', is 'usko shaaistagii ke saath/se kaho!' correct?

    Should it be 'ke saath' or 'se' or neither?

    Thanks!

  67. #227
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    So, to say 'Speak to him politely!', is 'usko shaaistagii ke saath/se kaho!' correct?

    Should it be 'ke saath' or 'se' or neither?

    Thanks!

    i would say us day naal tameez naal gall kar


    in urdu: us kay saath tameez say baat karo



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  68. #228
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    English to Urdu:

    1. Helpless

    I have come across three words for this. They are bechaar, aajiz, majbuurii. Can the fine differences between the three words be explained (if any)?

    Thanks!

  69. #229
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    i would say us day naal tameez naal gall kar


    in urdu: us kay saath tameez say baat karo
    Oh, I see... Why can't 'shaaistagii' be used here? Also, can you explain why I can't use 'usko' instead of 'us ke saath' in your sentence?

    And out of curiosity, what language was your first sentence in?

    Thanks!

  70. #230
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,178
    Mentioned
    1012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    English to Urdu:

    1. Helpless

    I have come across three words for this. They are bechaar, aajiz, majbuurii. Can the fine differences between the three words be explained (if any)?

    Thanks!
    "Majboori" means 'Compulsion'.

    "Aajiz" means 'Humble' and "Aajzi" means 'humility'/'Humbleness'.

    "Majboor" means 'Helpless'. Other words which can be used in this context are "La-chaar" or "Beychaara" - "Beychaari" for females.

    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    And out of curiosity, what language was your first sentence in?

    Thanks!
    It was Punjabi.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  71. #231
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. Raahat

    Some possible meanings are 'quiet, Rest, Repose, Respite, Relief, tranquility'. I would like to know how 'raahat' differs from 'aaraam'?

    Eg. Can I substitute 'aaraam' in 'Din bhar kaam karne ke baad main aaraam kar rahaa hun.' with 'raahat'?

    Thanks!

  72. #232
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. Raahat

    Some possible meanings are 'quiet, Rest, Repose, Respite, Relief, tranquility'. I would like to know how 'raahat' differs from 'aaraam'?

    Eg. Can I substitute 'aaraam' in 'Din bhar kaam karne ke baad main aaraam kar rahaa hun.' with 'raahat'?

    Thanks!
    No you can't replace aaram with raahat

    For one, you don't do 'rahat", you can only "get it!"
    secondly, the word raahat mainly refers to "comfort" in english language.

    So think of aaraam as rest and raahat as comfort/relaxation and use them just as you would use their english meanings. 9 out of ten times you won't sound weird .
    Last edited by Aly; 25th May 2012 at 22:23.

  73. #233
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Oh, I see... Why can't 'shaaistagii' be used here? Also, can you explain why I can't use 'usko' instead of 'us ke saath' in your sentence?

    And out of curiosity, what language was your first sentence in?

    Thanks!
    1-you can use shaistagi but again it is a formal word, which the native speakers mostly use in formal writings etc instead of day to day conversations. In day to day communication most people would use "tameez"

    2-No you can't use "us ko", however, instead of using "us ke saath", using "us se" is more accurate i.e "us se tameez se baat karo".

    Though, if you're insistent on using "us ko" then you can rephrase it like that "us ko tameez/shaistagi se mukhatib karo "

    * mukhatib = converse here
    Last edited by Aly; 25th May 2012 at 22:23.

  74. #234
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    No you can't replace aaram with raahat

    For one, you don't do 'rahat", you can only "get it!"
    secondly, the word raahat mainly refers to "comfort" in english language.

    So think of aaraam as rest and raahat as comfort/relaxation and use them just as you would use their english meanings. 9 out of ten times you won't sound weird .
    When you say 'comfort' are you referring to luxuries like car, house, entertainment etc.?

    Thus, I assume that 'raahat' cannot be used in my sentence above.

    Thanks!

  75. #235
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    When you say 'comfort' are you referring to luxuries like car, house, entertainment etc.?

    Thus, I assume that 'raahat' cannot be used in my sentence above.

    Thanks!
    Actually for material comforts like cars, big houses etc unlike English, Urdu has a different word called AASAISH

    Raahat is mostly used in abstract terms.

  76. #236
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you give a simple sentence using 'raahat'?

    What about 'aafiyat' then? Is it synonymous with 'aashaish'?

    Thanks!

  77. #237
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:


    Translation needed for the sentences below as I still can't fully understand them.

    1. woh use jagah-bejagah uthne-baithne, khane kii taraf betawajjahii bartane aur aisii hii mamuulii-mamuulii baaton par piit diyaa kartaa thaa.

    2. uska iztaraab shabnam ke us qatere kii tarah thaa jo paaraa kiraas ke bade(baRe) se patte par kabhii idhar kabhii udhar ludhktaa rehtaa hai.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 26th May 2012 at 12:37.

  78. #238
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Can you give a simple sentence using 'raahat'?

    What about 'aafiyat' then? Is it synonymous with 'aashaish'?

    Thanks!

    aafiyat is well being

    a perfect example is the salutaion

    khaireeat maujood aafiyat matloob

    aasaish can be better translated as luxury/luxurious
    Last edited by TAK; 26th May 2012 at 18:43.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  79. #239
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:


    Translation needed for the sentences below as I still can't fully understand them.

    1. woh use jagah-bejagah uthne-baithne, khane kii taraf betawajjahii bartane aur aisii hii mamuulii-mamuulii baaton par piit diyaa kartaa thaa.


    Without even caring about the surroundings he would beat her/him for things as trivial as her/his sitting-standing routine/style, her/his inattentiveness towards meals etc


    2. uska iztaraab shabnam ke us qatere kii tarah thaa jo paaraa kiraas ke bade(baRe) se patte par kabhii idhar kabhii udhar ludhktaa rehtaa hai.


    His/her anxiety was like that drop of dew which keeps rolling here and there on a big Paara Kiraas (name of a certain type of leaf in urdu) leaf.





    !

  80. #240
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Can you give a simple sentence using 'raahat'?

    What about 'aafiyat' then? Is it synonymous with 'aashaish'?

    Thanks!
    No aafiyat is a different word totally.


    rohaniyat se use raahat milti hay

    Spirituality provides him relief.

    See the problem is raahat is a highly abstract word in urdu and therefore have several meaning associated with it.

    Mostly this word too is majorly used in writings, books, novels and not in day to day communication.

    sakoon and aaram are substituted for it in simple conversations .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •