Instagram



Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 320 of 566
  1. #241
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. My focus in learning here is for conversation purposes and informal writing so as you have done above, do mention it if the words being discussed are too formal or literary/poetic in nature.

    Btw, excellent translation done above!

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 27th May 2012 at 02:48.

  2. #242
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. shaareaam

    This is the way it is written in Nagari but I suspect the real form is shaar - e - aam. Can anyone confirm this?

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 27th May 2012 at 11:37.

  3. #243
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. shaaz
    2. naayaab
    3. naadir

    All three words seem to have meanings related to rare/precious. Can anyone highlight the differences between the words?

    Thanks!

  4. #244
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. shaareaam

    This is the way it is written in Nagari but I suspect the real form is shaar - e - aam. Can anyone confirm this?

    Thanks!
    It's SAR-E-AAM which means openly, overtly in English I.e in front of everyone(all & sundry)

  5. #245
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. shaaz
    2. naayaab
    3. naadir

    All three words seem to have meanings related to rare/precious. Can anyone highlight the differences between the words?

    Thanks!
    All have same meanings except that they like most of the words asked by you they too are bookish / formal nature.

    However some slight differences could be :

    Saaz is actually SHAAZ & is mostly used in a combination with Nadir I.e. wuh shaz-o-nadir hi wahan jata tha I.e he visited there rarely

    2- Nayab is different in the sense that it's mostly used for something that is rare but might not be always precious value wise.

    3-Naadir could be both rare as well as precious

    P.s you would be much better off using the word 'qeemti ' instead when you're talking about the preciousness of something as it is easy to understand & popular as well

  6. #246
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    It's SAR-E-AAM which means openly, overtly in English I.e in front of everyone(all & sundry)
    Hi,

    Can you read Nagari?

    Eg. शार-ए-आम पर गोली मार देने की रज़ा दी जाए. वक़्त पे जो ना मिला उस मुकाम के लिए, चलने वाले को उसकी पूरी क़ज़ा दी जाए

    It says 'shaar e aam par golii maar dene kii dii jaae. waqt pe jo naa milaa us mukaam ke liye chalne vaale ko uskii puurii qazaa jaaye.

    It has been written as 'shaar' rather than 'sar' here. Is this the same word?

    Also Urdu to English from above:

    1. mukaam
    2.qazaa

    Thanks!

    PS: Unfortunately I can't read Urdu

  7. #247
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah

    in this case it is sharayaam which means road/highway not sarayaam which means openly

    maqaam means place
    Last edited by TAK; 29th May 2012 at 08:07.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  8. #248
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post



    maqaam means place
    So, can I take this as synonymous with 'jagah'?

    Thanks!

  9. #249
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. shiiraanaa

    Thanks!

  10. #250
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. shiiraanaa

    Thanks!
    Must be shairana which means poetic !

    & yes you can use jagah for maqaam.

  11. #251
    Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    Can you read Nagari?

    Eg. शार-ए-आम पर गोली मार देने की रज़ा दी जाए. वक़्त पे जो ना मिला उस मुकाम के लिए, चलने वाले को उसकी पूरी क़ज़ा दी जाए

    It says 'shaar e aam par golii maar dene kii dii jaae. waqt pe jo naa milaa us mukaam ke liye chalne vaale ko uskii puurii qazaa jaaye.

    It has been written as 'shaar' rather than 'sar' here. Is this the same word?

    Also Urdu to English from above:

    1. mukaam
    2.qazaa

    Thanks!

    PS: Unfortunately I can't read Urdu

    the literal meaning of the word mukaam is place, but here according to the context mukaam means 'status'
    and qazaa means 'an overdue Namaz (Muslim prayer)'

  12. #252
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. qahat - famine?
    Eg. is mulk mein do saalon ke pehle se, qahat ho raha hai. This is supposed to mean 'From 2 years ago, there is a famine happening in this country.'

    2. shohrat - fame? To be translated using 'shohrat': 'Fame will surely come to righteous people.'

    3. shohrat ki chamak - limelight?

    Do correct my grammer for the sample sentence as well.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 31st May 2012 at 09:06.

  13. #253
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aly View Post
    Must be shairana which means poetic !

    & yes you can use jagah for maqaam.
    I see... I romanised the word as per the way it was written in Hindi.

  14. #254
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post

    is mulk mein do saalon ke pehle se, qahat ho raha hai.

    From 2 years ago, there is a famine happening in this country
    urdu: pichlay/guzashta do saal saal say is mulk mein qaht ho rahee hai

    english: there has been famine in this county for the past 2 years



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  15. #255
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    urdu: pichlay/guzashta do saal saal say is mulk mein qaht ho rahee hai

    english: there has been famine in this county for the past 2 years
    Please highlight the difference between 'guahusta' asked in a previous entry 'GUZISHTA : previous' and 'guzhashta' used here.

    Thanks!

  16. #256
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Please highlight the difference between 'guahusta' asked in a previous entry 'GUZISHTA : previous' and 'guzhashta' used here.

    Thanks!
    same word, just different romanised transliteration



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  17. #257
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. qahat - famine?
    Eg. is mulk mein do saalon ke pehle se, qahat ho raha hai. This is supposed to mean 'From 2 years ago, there is a famine happening in this country.'

    2. shohrat - fame? To be translated using 'shohrat': 'Fame will surely come to righteous people.'

    3. shohrat ki chamak - limelight?

    Do correct my grammer for the sample sentence as well.

    Thanks!
    Also,

    4. shutur

    5. shuture bemuhaar

    Thanks!

  18. #258
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Aiwan-e-Ishq
    Runs
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    need the meanings of following urdu words in English:

    ziyaarat
    tauheed
    tadbeer
    fizaa

  19. #259
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Aiwan-e-Ishq
    Runs
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    mohazzab......."mohazzab" alfaaz
    khurrez....."khurrez" jang
    tamheed
    mugallizaad......"mugallizaad" baqnaa

  20. #260
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohazzab = appropriate
    Ziyarat = to visit / to go on a pilgrimage
    Fiza - atmosphere


    If you do not mind me asking , where are you getting these words from ? A lot of them are not used in modern Urdu so you will look and sound weird speaking them .
    Last edited by Looney; 7th June 2012 at 05:14.

  21. #261
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Also,

    4. shutur

    5. shuture bemuhaar

    Thanks!
    In addition,

    1. satar
    2. adaa(karna)

    For the first one, does it mean line/row? If so, in what contexts is it normally used in everyday speaking...

    For the second one do extend the explanation to 'adaa karna' as well. Again, a common usage will be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  22. #262
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    I found the words below from the first few posts of this thread and had some doubts about them. Also, I tried my hand in making sentences with them. Kindly correct the mistakes in them.

    tasdeeq - certify/verify ( Eg. ab tasdeeq karo ki woh hamaare daftar mein kaam karta hai! Verify now that he works in our office!

    israar - insistance Eg. is baat par tumhare israar ki vajah mujhe pata nahi hai. I don't know the reason for your insistence in this matter.

    tabka - group. Would it be more like rank/class?

    reject - thukrana Eg. ve mere khyaalon ko hamesha thukrate hain. They always reject my ideas.

    unity or to unite - ittehaad, mutahid karna Eg. mulk mein peshraft hone ke lie sabhi logon ko ittehad/mutahid karna hai. For the country to progress, all the people must/have to unite.

    shawaahid - plural of shaahid ( witness ) , it means witnesses. Can it also mean evidence?

    muntakhib - selected/elected Eg. yeh sadr logon se muntakhib hua hai. This leader has been elected by the people.

    taqarrur - appointed Eg. yeh sadr hakumat se taqarrur hua hai. This leader has been appointed by the government.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 7th June 2012 at 14:15.

  23. #263
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Aiwan-e-Ishq
    Runs
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    muttanaazam

  24. #264
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Aiwan-e-Ishq
    Runs
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    Mohazzab = appropriate
    Ziyarat = to visit / to go on a pilgrimage
    Fiza - atmosphere


    If you do not mind me asking , where are you getting these words from ? A lot of them are not used in modern Urdu so you will look and sound weird speaking them .
    you get to hear these words on youtube....... spoken by news anchors and analysts on Pakistani news channels

  25. #265
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Hi,

    I found the words below from the first few posts of this thread and had some doubts about them. Also, I tried my hand in making sentences with them. Kindly correct the mistakes in them.

    tasdeeq - certify/verify ( Eg. ab tasdeeq karo ki woh hamaare daftar mein kaam karta hai! Verify now that he works in our office!

    abhi(foran) tasdeeq karo keh wuh hamaray duftar main kaam karta hay

    israar - insistance Eg. is baat par tumhare israar ki vajah mujhe pata nahi hai. I don't know the reason for your insistence in this matter.
    bulls eye
    tabka - group. Would it be more like rank/class?

    yes tabqa is group/ a certain class of people but is mostly used in socio-ecnomic terms

    reject - thukrana Eg. wuh mere khyaalon ko hamesha thukrate hain. They always reject my ideas.

    wuh mere khayalaat (khyaloon is taken more as random thoughts, khyalat is taken as "ideas" ) ko humesha thukratay hain

    unity or to unite - ittehaad, mutahid karna Eg. mulk mein peshraft hone ke lie sabhi logon ko ittehad/mutahid karna hai. For the country to progress, all the people must/have to unite.

    mulk mai taraqi honay k liyay, sab logoon ko mutahid karna hay(ittahad is wrong as it's a noun, not a verb, and actually means "unity" )

    shawaahid - plural of shaahid ( witness ) , it means witnesses. Can it also mean evidence?

    yes shawahid only means evidences (not witness), shahadat is it's singular not shahid *which actually means witness)

    you're better off using saboot for evidence & gawah for witness, shahid & shawahid are too confusing


    muntakhib - selected/elected Eg. yeh sadr logon se muntakhib hua hai. This leader has been elected by the people.
    bingo however you can also say .."yeh sadar logoon nay muntakhib kiya hay" ..also, leader is rehnuma, quaid...sadar means president only

    taqarrur - appointed Eg. yeh sadr hakumat se taqarrur hua hai. This leader has been appointed by the government.
    Is rehnuma ka taqarrur hakoomat ne kiya hay
    Last edited by Aly; 8th June 2012 at 19:53.

  26. #266
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. satar
    2. adaa(karna)

    For the first one, does it mean line/row? If so, in what contexts is it normally used in everyday speaking...

    For the second one do extend the explanation to 'adaa karna' as well. Again, a common usage will be appreciated.

    Thanks!

  27. #267
    Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Aiwan-e-Ishq
    Runs
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    baayas......waqt ki kami ke "baayas"
    mafruzey......saazish-e-mafruzey

  28. #268
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. satar
    2. adaa(karna)

    For the first one, does it mean line/row? If so, in what contexts is it normally used in everyday speaking...

    For the second one do extend the explanation to 'adaa karna' as well. Again, a common usage will be appreciated.

    Thanks!
    In addition,

    3. sarf
    4. sarvar

    Thanks!

    PS: Do drop a line if you guys are unsure of the words because I am not sure if that is the reason for the lack of responses recently
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 13th June 2012 at 08:20.

  29. #269
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    In addition,

    sarf

    sarvar
    sarf صرف

    consuming/spending

    e.g. sarfeen are consumers


    sarvar سرور

    i think this is used cheifly in religous terms to describe god , it means leader/master

    e.g. sarvar-e-qainaat is master of the universe



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  30. #270
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    sarf صرف

    consuming/spending

    e.g. sarfeen are consumers


    sarvar سرور

    i think this is used cheifly in religous terms to describe god , it means leader/master

    e.g. sarvar-e-qainaat is master of the universe
    So, 'sarf' is equivalent 'kharch' or 'istemaal/upayog' ie 'expenses' or 'use'?

    And 'sarf karna' is synonymous to 'khariidnaa' or 'istemaal karna' in the appropriate contexts?

    Also, give a simple example usage for 'sarf hona'.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 14th June 2012 at 09:47.

  31. #271
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    So, 'sarf' is equivalent 'kharch' or 'istemaal/upayog' ie 'expenses' or 'use'?

    And 'sarf karna' is synonymous to 'khariidnaa' or 'istemaal karna' in the appropriate contexts?

    Also, give a simple example usage for 'sarf hona'.

    Thanks!
    Ok, I will try my hand at some examples...

    1. bacpan mein zaruuri se zyada sarf karna acchi aadat nahin hai. Spending more than necessary in childhood is not a good habit.

    2. yeh meri aashaa hai ki in vaakyon mein is lafz ka sarf sahi hai/maine sahi tarah se is lafz ko sarf kiya hai.
    It is my hope that I have used this word in a correct manner in these sentences.

    Do point out my mistakes in the above usages.

    Thanks!

  32. #272
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. sahvan/sahavan
    2. saabir

    Thanks!

  33. #273
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    468
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. sahvan/sahavan
    2. saabir

    Thanks!
    An Arabic word/Name meaning a Patient person, someone who deals well with difficult times and hardship.

  34. #274
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,175
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. sahvan/sahavan
    2. saabir

    Thanks!
    An Arabic word/Name meaning a Patient person, someone who deals well with difficult times and hardship.
    Yeah, comes from "Sabr" ('patience') which is used in Arabic as well as Urdu.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  35. #275
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaddy View Post
    An Arabic word/Name meaning a Patient person, someone who deals well with difficult times and hardship.
    Then I presume it is a noun rather than an adjective. It would be 'woh ek saabir hai' rather than 'woh ek saabir shakhs hai'.
    Am I right?

    Thanks!

  36. #276
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    1. saalim

    I have come across meanings like

    1.Complete, Intact, In One Piece; itne logon ke istemaal ke baad meri kitab abhi bhii saalim hai! After this many people have used this book, it is still in one piece!

    2.Perfect; Is aalam mein saalim shakhs naheen hota hai. There is no perfect person person in this world.

    3.Safe, Sound,' for this. bacchon ko saalim tarah se aa jaanaa paRda hai. The children have to come and go safely.

    Do comment on which of the usages are wrong.
    Which of the meanings is most commonly used in everyday contexts?

    Thanks!

  37. #277
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. saalim

    I have come across meanings like

    1.Complete, Intact, In One Piece; itne logon ke istemaal ke baad meri kitab abhi bhii saalim hai! After this many people have used this book, it is still in one piece!

    2.Perfect; Is aalam mein saalim shakhs naheen hota hai. There is no perfect person person in this world.

    3.Safe, Sound,' for this. bacchon ko saalim tarah se aa jaanaa paRda hai. The children have to come and go safely.

    Do comment on which of the usages are wrong.
    Which of the meanings is most commonly used in everyday contexts?

    Thanks!
    More help needed... Urdu to English:

    1. haqiirjaii
    2. hadbandii
    3. harfii

    Thanks!

  38. #278
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More words for translation...

    1. bulaandiyon (from bulaandiya?)
    2. nigaah e karam (do give the meanings of both the words in this izaafat construction)
    3. navaaznaa
    4. chaupaal
    5. aajiz

    The above 5 words are from this sentence: 'xushii hu'ii kih aap ne bulandiyoN par se hamaarii is 3aajiz chaupaal ko apnii nigaah-e-karam se navaazne kaa vaqt nikaal hii liyaa hai.'

    6. izhar -> izhar karna

    Thanks!
    Last edited by lafz_puchnevala; 12th July 2012 at 04:06.

  39. #279
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello friends,

    Can someone explain what are the word-e-word combinations?

    e.g. Hasb-e-Haal
    Surat-e-Haal

    What are the rules around it?

    Where can I learn more of these combinations? They are awesome!

    Lastly, any good online URDU to english dictionary?

    thanks all!

  40. #280
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In khabarnaak one of the comedians - whenever he acts like Meera and always teases the host as if he is his Boyfriend and calls him "haafi" (I hope I am making sense! lol)- does that mean darling?

  41. #281
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english:

    muqaddam
    quwwat
    akhuwwat
    azm
    peham
    baham
    Hamiyyat
    Nabi
    Mohsin
    tehreer

    english to urdu:

    loss.....my company is suffering a huge "loss"

  42. #282
    Debut
    Aug 2008
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    4,656
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    In khabarnaak one of the comedians - whenever he acts like Meera and always teases the host as if he is his Boyfriend and calls him "haafi" (I hope I am making sense! lol)- does that mean darling?
    lol he calls him aafi, that is the short form of Aftab(the host's name is Aftab)
    Last edited by Legend Killer; 23rd August 2012 at 17:43.

  43. #283
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    Hello friends,

    Can someone explain what are the word-e-word combinations?

    e.g. Hasb-e-Haal
    Surat-e-Haal

    What are the rules around it?

    Where can I learn more of these combinations? They are awesome!

    Lastly, any good online URDU to english dictionary?

    thanks all!
    In addition to top I heard another one today

    Haalaat -E Haazra

    wats Haazra?

    ----

    Also what do the following words mean:

    Qurbat

    Gurbat

    maazi -> used in a lot of different contexts...
    Last edited by Cricketismylife; 26th August 2012 at 01:36.

  44. #284
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    2,121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post
    In addition to top I heard another one today

    Haalaat -E Haazra

    wats Haazra?

    ----

    Also what do the following words mean:

    Qurbat

    Gurbat

    maazi -> used in a lot of different contexts...
    Haalat-e-haazra = Current Affairs

    Haazra is related to Haazir, which means being present or being in attendance.

    Qurbat = Closeness

    Gurbat = Poverty

    Maazi = Past

    The words, as you'd imagine, could be used for related terms when used in different contexts.


    I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

  45. #285
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome_Username View Post
    Haalat-e-haazra = Current Affairs

    Haazra is related to Haazir, which means being present or being in attendance.

    Qurbat = Closeness

    Gurbat = Poverty

    Maazi = Past

    The words, as you'd imagine, could be used for related terms when used in different contexts.
    Thanks bro. Appreciate it heaps

  46. #286
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    2,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haazrat

    Amadan

    Daaneshwar

    Harf e aakhir

    Tehkeed as in Tehkeed ki nigaah se dekha

    Tafarka as in tafarke ki taarikh

    Takhrikh

    Tafseel

    Ikhtilaaf

    Aleel
    Last edited by Cricketismylife; 30th August 2012 at 22:12.

  47. #287
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    1,333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketismylife View Post

    Haazrat Gentlemen

    Amadan salary

    Daaneshwar intellectual

    Harf e aakhir the last word (say)

    Tehkeed as in Tehkeed ki nigaah se dekha ..if it's tehkeer ..then it means insult (to look down upon some one ) though if it's tanqeed then it's criticism

    Tafarka as in tafarke ki taarikh

    Takhrikh

    Tafseel details

    Ikhtilaaf opposition

    Aleel ill..sick
    The rest of the words are confusing as you didn't get the pronunciations right !

  48. #288
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Aiwan_e_Mohabbat
    Runs
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    baqaa
    sabaat
    jehaat

  49. #289
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    inqaam
    aqidat
    sapoon
    tashriq

    English to Urdu:

    Decimal Point......for example 5.7

  50. #290
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    Mushaavarat

  51. #291
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agha_Mohammad View Post

    Mushaavarat
    مشاورت

    consultation is the closest english word that comes to mind



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  52. #292
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agha_Mohammad View Post
    Urdu to English:
    inqaam
    aqidat
    sapoon


    tashriq تشریق

    had to get my old ferozeson's out for this one:

    1) used with the word ayaam ايام, (plural of يوم yaum day) to describe the 3 days of eid

    2) Going East

    3) Turning to face East

    4) Performing Eid prayers

    tashrik تشریک

    partnersip

    Quote Originally Posted by Agha_Mohammad View Post
    English to Urdu:

    Decimal Point......for example 5.7
    i think the word ishariyah is used, i.e. paanch ishariyah saat
    Last edited by TAK; 2nd November 2012 at 18:03.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  53. #293
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    82,784
    Mentioned
    833 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is a very helpful and informative thread mates.


    Fear the Creator ..... not the created.

  54. #294
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,175
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    This is a very helpful and informative thread mates.
    Our pleasure.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  55. #295
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys just need English of the following words.
    1. Chhaba(jis k me roti khai jati hai)
    2. Kaleja
    3. Kaleji
    4. Badnaseeb

  56. #296
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winsome View Post
    Guys just need English of the following words.
    1. Chhaba(jis k me roti khai jati hai)
    2. Kaleja
    3. Kaleji
    4. Badnaseeb
    i doubt you will find a direct english word for chaaba, (p.s. in jhelum we call it a changair)

    the traditional material used to make a chaaba/changair is known as wicker in english

    so you could perhaps call it a wicker plate


    liver is the english for kaleja/kaleji

    unfortunate or perhaps ill fated for badnaseeb
    Last edited by TAK; 14th December 2012 at 22:56.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  57. #297
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    mcboom is right then

    shai-rag
    Correct spellings are
    SHAH RUG

  58. #298
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    i doubt you will find a direct english word for chaaba, (p.s. in jhelum we call it a changair)

    the traditional material used to make a chaaba/changair is known as wicker in english

    so you could perhaps call it a wicker plate


    liver is the english for kaleja/kaleji

    unfortunate or perhaps ill fated for badnaseeb
    Actually Changair is bigger than Chabba,
    Anyhow thanks
    Last edited by Winsome; 15th December 2012 at 11:17.

  59. #299
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need English of some tough Urdu sentences.

    1. Barish hotay hotay reh gayi
    2. Uski bv ghar se bhag gayi hai
    3. Uska kaleja munh ko aa gya

  60. #300
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winsome View Post
    I need English of some tough Urdu sentences.

    1. Barish hotay hotay reh gayi
    2. Uski bv ghar se bhag gayi hai
    3. Uska kaleja munh ko aa gya
    1) because of the persistent rain we were unable to go

    2) his wife has fled the marital home

    3) his/her heart was in his/her mouth
    (although kaleja is liver it is not appropriate here, this expression conveys exactly the same meaning as the urdu expression)
    Last edited by TAK; 16th December 2012 at 15:42.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  61. #301
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    1) because of the persistent rain we were unable to go

    2) his wife has fled the marital home

    3) his/her heart was in his/her mouth
    (although kaleja is liver it is not appropriate here, this expression conveys exactly the same meaning as the urdu expression)
    I think you couldn't understand sentence 2.
    Barish hotay hotay reh gyi (It means that Barish honay wali thi mgr hui nh)

  62. #302
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    9,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some interesting choice of sentences here Winsome

  63. #303
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winsome View Post
    I think you couldn't understand sentence 2.
    Barish hotay hotay reh gyi (It means that Barish honay wali thi mgr hui nh)
    i misunderstood it

    that's always a problem when you write urdu with english letters

    anyway

    it was threatening to rain but it never came
    Last edited by TAK; 17th December 2012 at 16:47.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  64. #304
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistaniboy View Post
    Some interesting choice of sentences here Winsome
    Oye boy u r here?

  65. #305
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    9,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winsome View Post
    Oye boy u r here?
    Yep.

  66. #306
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    Mushaavarat
    Jahaabaak......10 log violence mein "Jahaabaak" ho gaye
    Mustahekam
    Khaavo
    Paindabad

  67. #307
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaan bahaq = killed
    Mustehkam = secure
    Paindabad is same as Zindabad but used for non living things .
    Mushawarat - to debate

  68. #308
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    5,680
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    urdu to english, or meaning

    purkaif
    meekday / mikday (not sure of spelling) - میکدے saw it written somewhere

  69. #309
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Ishq Mahal
    Runs
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urdu to English:

    bashmur
    takbeer
    tanaazur
    tehlil
    tahaffuz
    tanzeem
    itehaad
    imaan
    tauheed
    ijtehaad
    iltijaa
    walwalaa
    dard-e-binhaan
    Sabat
    Mashal-e-Wafaa
    Farogh-e-Shash
    baqaa
    qaraar
    manfi

  70. #310
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farooq_Fazal View Post
    Urdu to English:

    bashmur
    takbeer
    tanaazur
    tehlil
    tahaffuz
    tanzeem
    itehaad
    imaan
    tauheed
    ijtehaad
    iltijaa
    walwalaa
    dard-e-binhaan
    Sabat
    Mashal-e-Wafaa
    Farogh-e-Shash
    baqaa
    qaraar
    manfi
    lot of words there, what is the source may i ask ?

    have you been listening to a speech or something like?



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  71. #311
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Ishq Mahal
    Runs
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    lot of words there, what is the source may i ask ?

    have you been listening to a speech or something like?
    I got to know about these words while watching youtube videos....just wrote it down and posted in here....wanna know the meaning in English

  72. #312
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farooq_Fazal View Post
    Urdu to English:

    bashmur = bayshmaar ? multiple/limitless
    takbeer = glorification
    tanaazur = point of view/perspective
    tehlil = absorb
    tahaffuz = protection/security
    tanzeem = organistaion
    itehaad = unity, (as in the name of the manchester city stadium)
    imaan = belief
    tauheed = oneness of god (monotheism)

    ijtehaad = literally meaning is effort/though but used more in a religous sense meaning reform/interpretation of religious law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijtihad

    iltijaa = request
    walwalaa -passion
    dard-e-binhaan not sure, without pain maybe ?
    Sabat = whole or to prove
    Mashal-e-Wafaa = misaal is example and wafa is faithfullness
    Farogh-e-Shash ? not sure but farogh means illuminate or promote and shash is 6 in farsi
    baqaa = remainder
    qaraar = order/ruling, resoloution
    manfi = negative



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  73. #313
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    urdu to english, or meaning

    purkaif
    meekday / mikday (not sure of spelling) - میکدے saw it written somewhere
    lol 2nd word is maikada as in




    sharabkhana
    Last edited by Looney; 9th February 2013 at 02:18.

  74. #314
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    urdu to english, or meaning

    mikday
    mikiday = give it to me in pottohaari



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

  75. #315
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bhai jaan urdu main pooch rahe thay

  76. #316
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,175
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yesterday, my mother offered the most outrageous Urdu/Punjabi translation for 'romantic' - "tharki".

    Amazing!!!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  77. #317
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    18,669
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  78. #318
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,175
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Yesterday, my mother offered the most outrageous Urdu/Punjabi translation for 'romantic' - "tharki".

    Amazing!!!
    Worst part is, I will never say to my wife "Sweetheart, I am very romantic" if my mother is around, because she will most probably translate it as "Jan-e-man, mei´n bohatt tharki hoo´n."



    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  79. #319
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Ishq Mahal
    Runs
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tak....here are some more words.....Please translate them


    Urdu to English:


    musbat
    puroman......"puroman" tarikey se karenge
    Khachchaat.....isme kuch "Khachchaat" hai
    ijaaraadaari
    maddamshumaari
    saahil
    shiqwaa
    Gilaa


    English to Urdu:


    Similarity
    Positive

  80. #320
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    5,445
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .


    musbat = positive

    puroman......"puroman" tarikey se karenge = puraman pur is full in farsi, aman means peace, hence peaceful

    Khachchaat.....isme kuch "Khachchaat" hai = hichkachahat ?? hesitation

    ijaaraadaari = ??

    maddamshumaari = mardam shamaari = census

    saahil = coast

    shiqwaa = shikvaa = complaint

    Gilaa = complaint


    English to Urdu:


    Similarity = yaksaaneeat
    Positive = sabat qadam / masbat
    Last edited by TAK; 14th February 2013 at 22:48.



    کجھ شہر دے لوک وی ظالم سن
    کجھ مینوں مرن دا شوق وی سی

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •