Instagram



Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 401 to 480 of 566
  1. #401
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Dallas, USA
    Runs
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lafz_puchnevala View Post
    Urdu to English:

    1. saalim

    I have come across meanings like

    1.Complete, Intact, In One Piece; itne logon ke istemaal ke baad meri kitab abhi bhii saalim hai! After this many people have used this book, it is still in one piece!

    2.Perfect; Is aalam mein saalim shakhs naheen hota hai. There is no perfect person person in this world.

    3.Safe, Sound,' for this. bacchon ko saalim tarah se aa jaanaa paRda hai. The children have to come and go safely.

    Do comment on which of the usages are wrong.
    Which of the meanings is most commonly used in everyday contexts?

    Thanks!
    Nice word to add to vocabulary.. Thanks

  2. #402
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashda View Post
    What is the meaning of
    1. Unwaan
    2. Danishwar
    3. Mushawarat
    4. Mubaiyyana taur par
    5. Sarmaaya
    6. Munjamid hona
    7. Matloob hai
    8. Imroz banana hai
    9. Isfefada
    1.Title
    2. Intellectual
    3. Consolation/Deliberation
    4. Allegedly
    5. Assets
    6. Frozen
    7. Wanted
    8.??
    9. Benefit/Advantage

  3. #403
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Dallas, USA
    Runs
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Found out Imroz means Today... I thought the sentence I heard in was Imroz banana hai

  4. #404
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Oh OK! I never heard this word before

  5. #405
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Dallas, USA
    Runs
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you judgemental or to judge in Urdu?
    As in judgemental person ya main kaun hoti huun aap ko judge karnewali

  6. #406
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Dallas, USA
    Runs
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Translation of picky or fussy
    As in fussy eater

  7. #407
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Germany
    Runs
    17,036
    Mentioned
    924 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashda View Post
    How do you judgemental or to judge in Urdu?
    As in judgemental person ya main kaun hoti huun aap ko judge karnewali
    for eg it will be like " Main kon hoti ho apka ehtesab karne wali" or Judgemental person be like " Mohtasib Insaan" (it can be both negative and positive though in urdu).


    Quote Originally Posted by Rashda View Post
    Translation of picky or fussy As in fussy eater
    It will be "Tunk Mizaaj" or "Chirchira" it also depends for eg when we talk of food we will say " woh apne khane ke mamlay main boht ehteyat pasand hay" (this is positive) " Wo khane ke mamlay main boht nakhrela hay" (this is negative).


    جاگن والیاں رجّ کے لٹیا اے،
    سوئے تسیں وی او، سوئے اسیں وی آں۔

  8. #408
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does one write adnaa, as in adnaa saa insaan in Urdu script?

  9. #409
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chhaatr View Post
    How does one write adnaa, as in adnaa saa insaan in Urdu script?
    Last edited by Red Devil; 23rd April 2014 at 06:39.

  10. #410
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot! The dictionary I consulted did not show humza so I was confused how adnii could be adnaa!

  11. #411
    Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    37
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,I need meaning of the following urdu words in English:

    -bashar
    -ikhlaaqi
    -payam
    -haq-e-khudraadiyat
    -surkhuru
    -akhraajaat
    -gulshan-e-tauheed
    -koh-e-nida
    -nida
    -masbat
    -saadat
    -ahl-e-watan
    -limgiraadis
    -arz-e-shaala
    -inqaam
    -inaayat
    -naghmaqaa


    English to urdu:

    united nations
    international
    germs
    Last edited by Shabbir_ul_Haq; 23rd September 2014 at 15:27.

  12. #412
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbir_ul_Haq View Post
    Hello,I need meaning of the following urdu words in English:

    -bashar
    -ikhlaaqi
    -payam
    -haq-e-khudraadiyat
    -surkhuru
    -akhraajaat
    -gulshan-e-tauheed
    -koh-e-nida
    -nida
    -masbat
    -saadat
    -ahl-e-watan
    -limgiraadis
    -arz-e-shaala
    -inqaam
    -inaayat
    -naghmaqaa


    English to urdu:

    united nations
    international
    germs
    -bashar - Human
    -ikhlaaqi - the word ikhlaq means morality and manners etc
    -payam - Message
    -haq-e-khudraadiyat - The right to make decisions for one's own self
    -surkhuru - Successful
    -akhraajaat - Expenses
    -gulshan-e-tauheed - The meaning of "Tauheed" is to believe in the oneness of God, and Gulshan means Garden.

    -koh-e-nida -
    -nida - Nida is a name, and it means Voice
    -masbat - Positive
    -saadat -
    -ahl-e-watan - Countrymen
    -limgiraadis
    -arz-e-shaala -
    -inqaam - If you mean Imqaan then it means Chances
    -inaayat - Favour
    -naghmaqaa -


    English to urdu:

    united nations - Aqwam-e-Muttahida
    international - Bain-ul-Aqwami
    germs - Jaraseem



    @Pakistani_Legend @Munna Verify

  13. #413
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil:- I don't know half of them.

  14. #414
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @DHONI183 and @Nostalgic can help, I am sure.

  15. #415
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    @Red Devil:- I don't know half of them.
    Lol I thought your Urdu was great

  16. #416
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,227
    Mentioned
    3399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil doesn't inaayat mean to present something? Ikhlaaqi is ethically, I guess.

    And I think saadat is "privilege".

  17. #417
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,227
    Mentioned
    3399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    @cricket083 will help too.

  18. #418
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    @Red Devil doesn't inaayat mean to present something? Ikhlaaqi is ethically, I guess.

    And I think saadat is "privilege".
    I think favor is more accurate


    Yeah you're right, saadat is privilege, definitely.
    Last edited by Red Devil; 23rd September 2014 at 17:16.

  19. #419
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Lol I thought your Urdu was great
    It is not that great but it isn't bad too.

    They don't stress too much on second language here. 5 lessons, 3 grammar topics and some creative writing.

  20. #420
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    It is not that great but it isn't bad too.

    They don't stress too much on second language here. 5 lessons, 3 grammar topics and some creative writing.
    limgiradees ka matlab batao chalo shabash

  21. #421
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Shabbir_ul_Haq:-

    Urdu to English:

    Human/mankind
    Morally
    Meaning
    The free will to make your own decisions
    Successful
    Expenses/cost
    I don't know but @Red Devil explained it.
    The beckoning mountain
    Beckoning
    Positive
    Honour/privilege
    Countrymen
    I didn't understand the word.
    Do you mean shalal? If so, it means a place from where water gushes out.
    Chances
    Solicitude/give something
    I haven't heard this word. If you mean naghma, it means song/melody

    English to Urdu:

    Aqwaam-e-Mutahida
    Bain-al-Aqwaami
    Jaraseem


    I asked for some help from my parents.
    Last edited by Pakistani_Legend; 23rd September 2014 at 17:46.

  22. #422
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    limgiradees ka matlab batao chalo shabash
    I have never heard of this word.

  23. #423
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    "Naghmaqaa"

    If you mean naghmaqaar, it could mean the person who sings/writes the song.

  24. #424
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbir_ul_Haq View Post
    Hello,I need meaning of the following urdu words in English:

    -bashar
    -ikhlaaqi
    -payam
    -haq-e-khudraadiyat
    -surkhuru
    -akhraajaat
    -gulshan-e-tauheed
    -koh-e-nida
    -nida
    -masbat
    -saadat
    -ahl-e-watan
    -limgiraadis
    -arz-e-shaala
    -inqaam
    -inaayat
    -naghmaqaa


    English to urdu:

    united nations
    international
    germs
    First of all, tell me bro from where did you find these highlighted words, I am really curious.

    Well, you've got the meanings from my fellow PPer's..I don't know what naghmaqaa and arz-e-shaala means.Arz means land though, I have heard the word shala in Punjabi and it means God willing, sorry but I am clueless about its meaning in English/Urdu.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  25. #425
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    @cricket083 will help too.
    Few words made me scratch my head.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  26. #426
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    11,118
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil, I've stopped offering this service for free now.

  27. #427
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post
    @Red Devil, I've stopped offering this service for free now.
    Acha choren, translate the following sentence, phir manoon ga

    Imroz, koh-e-nida se limgiraadis aur arz-e-shaala ka inqaam bohat hi naghmaqaa hai.

  28. #428
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    13,855
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Acha choren, translate the following sentence, phir manoon ga

    Imroz, koh-e-nida se limgiraadis aur arz-e-shaala ka inqaam bohat hi naghmaqaa hai.
    Is Imroz a name?

  29. #429
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingNSeam View Post
    Is Imroz a name?
    Idk, check the second post of this thread, apparently it means today.

  30. #430
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    13,855
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Idk, check the second post of this thread, apparently it means today.
    Then Wth u doing using it in a sentence if u don't know yourself

  31. #431
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingNSeam View Post
    Then Wth u doing using it in a sentence if u don't know yourself
    I don't know any of the words in that sentence basically took all those weird words and put them in a sentence

  32. #432
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    13,855
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    I don't know any of the words in that sentence basically took all those weird words and put them in a sentence
    Haha gonna copy and paste to other friends who claim to have better Urdu than mine

  33. #433
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Acha choren, translate the following sentence, phir manoon ga

    Imroz, koh-e-nida se limgiraadis aur arz-e-shaala ka inqaam bohat hi naghmaqaa hai.
    I see what you did there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Idk, check the second post of this thread, apparently it means today.
    Are you talking about "is roz"?

  34. #434
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingNSeam View Post
    Haha gonna copy and paste to other friends who claim to have better Urdu than mine
    Haha but that sentence probably doesn't make any sense whatsoever

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    I see what you did there.



    Are you talking about "is roz"?
    Is ka jawab to Rashda baji hi de sakti hain

  35. #435
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    13,855
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil is the second coming of Allama Iqbal with his knowledge of Urdu MA.

  36. #436
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    First of all, tell me bro from where did you find these highlighted words, I am really curious.

    Well, you've got the meanings from my fellow PPer's..I don't know what naghmaqaa and arz-e-shaala means.Arz means land though, I have heard the word shala in Punjabi and it means God willing, sorry but I am clueless about its meaning in English/Urdu.
    I think Shabbir sahib has fallen for a girl who writes him love letters in such high class Urdu, leaving him to scratch his head.

    He writes back, "Jaanu, shuruwaat meyīn "Assalam-o-Alaikum" aur ikhtetaam ke "Khuda Haafiz" ke darmiyaaīn kuchh khaas samajh nahiīn aaya.

    This reminds me of my affair with a Pakistani girl who belonged to a very, very strict family. I was new in Germany, but she could only write German though, being born and brought up here. She wrote me (an email) one day how her parents are forcing her to get engaged the next day and that, that we should elope tomorrow as she would wait for me at a certain bus stop.

    I replied, "Das ist aber kool (this is cool)!", having actually understood nothing. I slept through the early hours at home the next day and the poor girl returned home around in the afternoon. What makes me sad though is that she got engaged without getting much ready and without the make-up.

    @Indiafan Hasnīt my posting style got more and more like Nostalgic bhai, with most posts referring to my lifeīs past events with a "This reminds me.... "?


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  37. #437
    Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    37
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil...... @Pakistani_Legend.......Thank you guys for your help

  38. #438
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbir_ul_Haq View Post
    @Red Devil...... @Pakistani_Legend.......Thank you guys for your help
    No problem.

  39. #439
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbir_ul_Haq View Post
    @Red Devil...... @Pakistani_Legend.......Thank you guys for your help
    You're welcome, glad we could help. If you need any further help just let us know.

  40. #440
    Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    37
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here come more urdu words....meaning in english needed.....also please help with the pronunciation and spelling of these urdu words:

    -tanveer
    -shaamat
    -taaseer
    -taskheer
    -taavindaa
    -sannaah
    -iltejaa
    -paleed
    -laah-e-amal
    -zehmat
    -jabeen
    -irshaad
    -khudaadaad
    -tanzeem
    -jamaat
    -istiqlal
    -jasarat
    -intekhaab
    -rizq

  41. #441
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbir_ul_Haq View Post
    here come more urdu words....meaning in english needed.....also please help with the pronunciation and spelling of these urdu words:

    -tanveer
    -shaamat
    -taaseer
    -taskheer
    -taavindaa
    -sannaah
    -iltejaa
    -paleed
    -laah-e-amal
    -zehmat
    -jabeen
    -irshaad
    -khudaadaad
    -tanzeem
    -jamaat
    -istiqlal
    -jasarat
    -intekhaab
    -rizq


    Lol Shabbir bhai I wasn't serious lol jk.


    -tanveer - It's a name it means Light
    -shaamat - bad luck, trouble etc
    -taaseer - Effect
    -taskheer - Capture/Captivate
    -taavindaa - If you mean Taabindah it means Bright, Shining etc
    -sannaah - Occurrence, incident etc (often an unfortunate one)
    -iltejaa - Request
    -paleed - Filthy, Impure
    -laah-e-amal - Plan
    -zehmat - Disturbance I guess
    -jabeen - Forehead
    -irshaad - To say something
    -khudaadaad
    -tanzeem - Organisation
    -jamaat - Class, Party, Group etc
    -istiqlal -
    -jasarat - Courage, Boldness
    -intekhaab - Select, Choose
    -rizq - Provision

  42. #442
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The words unanswered by @Red Devil:

    khudaadaad - If you mean khuda zaat, it means God (Allah).
    istiqlal - independence

  43. #443
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    The words unanswered by @Red Devil:

    khudaadaad - If you mean khuda zaat, it means God (Allah).
    istiqlal - independence
    Good job cheetay

  44. #444
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    13,855
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    mA @Red Devil

  45. #445
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingNSeam View Post
    Second coming of Allama Iqbal lol

  46. #446
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    13,855
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Second coming of Allama Iqbal lol
    lol I posted that joke on the last page

  47. #447
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingNSeam View Post
    lol I posted that joke on the last page
    Joke?

  48. #448
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    13,855
    Mentioned
    1861 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Joke?
    I meant fact. ghalti tou insaan se he hoti hai
    Last edited by SwingNSeam; 25th September 2014 at 04:46.

  49. #449
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingNSeam View Post
    I meant fact.
    Yeah sounds better now

  50. #450
    Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    37
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil @pakistani legend...Thank you once again....now some more urdu words....meaning in english needed......

    -muhaafiz
    -munavvar
    -taqaddoos
    -mustafavi
    -bashaarat
    -mushtamil
    -islaahaat
    -tehseen
    -tehlil
    -pasmanzar
    -pasmaandagi
    -ikhlaas
    -ilhaam
    -koft
    -nashrihaat
    -taavir
    -zarb-e-azb

  51. #451
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbir_ul_Haq View Post
    @Red Devil @pakistani legend...Thank you once again....now some more urdu words....meaning in english needed......

    -muhaafiz
    -munavvar
    -taqaddoos
    -mustafavi
    -bashaarat
    -mushtamil
    -islaahaat
    -tehseen
    -tehlil
    -pasmanzar
    -pasmaandagi
    -ikhlaas
    -ilhaam
    -koft
    -nashrihaat
    -taavir
    -zarb-e-azb


    -muhaafiz - Protector
    -munavvar - Bright, luminous
    -taqaddoos - Holiness, purity etc
    -mustafavi
    -bashaarat - Good news
    -mushtamil - Consist of
    -islaahaat - Islahaat is a plural of the word Islah which means correction, amendment.
    -tehseen - Praise etc
    -tehlil - Dissolve
    -pasmanzar - Background
    -pasmaandagi - Poverty
    -ikhlaas - Sincerity
    -ilhaam - Divine inspiration
    -koft - Irritation, annoyance etc
    -nashrihaat - Broadcast
    -taavir -
    -zarb-e-azb - Sharp blow


    @Pakistani_Legend Verify pls

  52. #452
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The words that remained unanswered by @Red Devil:-

    mustafavi - If you mean mustaafi, it means resign.

    taavir - I think you mean taabir/taabeer, which means interpretation, result of one's actions or connotation.

  53. #453
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Shabbir_ul_Haq View Post
    @Red Devil @pakistani legend...Thank you once again....now some more urdu words....meaning in english needed......

    -muhaafiz
    -munavvar
    -taqaddoos
    -mustafavi
    -bashaarat
    -mushtamil
    -islaahaat
    -tehseen
    -tehlil
    -pasmanzar
    -pasmaandagi
    -ikhlaas
    -ilhaam
    -koft
    -nashrihaat
    -taavir
    -zarb-e-azb
    For "Zarb-e-Azb", I will suggest you to read the "Etymology" chapter of the Wikipedia page below:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operati...-Azb#Etymology

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    -muhaafiz - Protector
    -munavvar - Bright, luminous
    -taqaddoos - Holiness, purity etc
    -mustafavi
    -bashaarat - Good news
    -mushtamil - Consist of
    -islaahaat - Islahaat is a plural of the word Islah which means correction, amendment.
    -tehseen - Praise etc
    -tehlil - Dissolve
    -pasmanzar - Background
    -pasmaandagi - Poverty
    -ikhlaas - Sincerity
    -ilhaam - Divine inspiration
    -koft - Irritation, annoyance etc
    -nashrihaat - Broadcast
    -taavir -
    -zarb-e-azb - Sharp blow


    @Pakistani_Legend Verify pls
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    The words that remained unanswered by @Red Devil:-

    mustafavi - If you mean mustaafi, it means resign.

    taavir - I think you mean taabir/taabeer, which means interpretation, result of one's actions or connotation.
    Regarding "Mustafavi", it is used in the poetic sense. One of the names/attributes of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of God be upon him), in fact amongst the most famous ones, is Mustafa. It is used in the poetic sense by a Muslim to convey that he is a follower of Mustafa - that is, Mustafavi. Itīs more commonly used to describe a personīs deep affection and belief in the Islamic faith, whereas on the other hand the term Muslim is a standard term for any follower of the religion.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  54. #454
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Regarding "Mustafavi", it is used in the poetic sense. One of the names/attributes of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of God be upon him), in fact amongst the most famous ones, is Mustafa. It is used in the poetic sense by a Muslim to convey that he is a follower of Mustafa - that is, Mustafavi. Itīs more commonly used to describe a personīs deep affection and belief in the Islamic faith, whereas on the other hand the term Muslim is a standard term for any follower of the religion.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

  55. #455
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Red Devil, @DHONI183 and @Munna:- What is the muannas of ghulam (slave)?

  56. #456
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    11,118
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    @Red Devil, @DHONI183 and @Munna:- What is the muannas of ghulam (slave)?
    Didn't I mention I have stopped doing this service for free? And why have you tagged Gabbar for an Urdu query?

    But I don't there is any muannas word for ghulam... never heard of it either. And if there is, should be Ghulaama

  57. #457
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post
    Didn't I mention I have stopped doing this service for free? And why have you tagged Gabbar for an Urdu query?

    But I don't there is any muannas word for ghulam... never heard of it either. And if there is, should be Ghulaama
    Ghulaama.

    I had it in my Urdu exam today. I wrote ghulami even though I know it is completely different.

    My parents say it is "laundi" or something, but that should be the muannas of launda.

  58. #458
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post
    Didn't I mention I have stopped doing this service for free? And why have you tagged Gabbar for an Urdu query?

    But I don't there is any muannas word for ghulam... never heard of it either. And if there is, should be Ghulaama
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Ghulaama.

    I had it in my Urdu exam today. I wrote ghulami even though I know it is completely different.

    My parents say it is "laundi" or something, but that should be the muannas of launda.
    Lmao! Ghulaama


    Lol Yeah I can't seem to think of any words either. That being said, the word Bandhi (something like that) is pretty close, not sure if that's correct tho lol.

  59. #459
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    I think @Munna bhai just invented a new word

  60. #460
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    @Red Devil, @DHONI183 and @Munna:- What is the muannas of ghulam (slave)?
    Don't rely on those jaahil people. Always ask learned posters like @Nostalgic and @cricket083.

    As for the question, "kaneez" is the word I feel.

    If I indeed get it right, then shame on all of you as I have never learnt Urdu in life and have learnt to read on my own through tremendous hard work over the last two years, although I still struggle a great deal.

    *Self-obsessed post over!*


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  61. #461
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Don't rely on those jaahil people. Always ask learned posters like @Nostalgic and @cricket083.

    As for the question, "kaneez" is the word I feel.

    If I indeed get it right, then shame on all of you as I have never learnt Urdu in life and have learnt to read on my own through tremendous hard work over the last two years, although I still struggle a great deal.

    *Self-obsessed post over!*
    I will let you know in a week or two when the correction is done.

  62. #462
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    5,872
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Don't rely on those jaahil people. Always ask learned posters like @Nostalgic and @cricket083.

    As for the question, "kaneez" is the word I feel.

    If I indeed get it right, then shame on all of you as I have never learnt Urdu in life and have learnt to read on my own through tremendous hard work over the last two years, although I still struggle a great deal.

    *Self-obsessed post over!*
    "Kaneez" is correct, in my opinion. "Baandi" is an alternate, as in "laundi," but the latter has certain connotations I wouldn't want to discuss on a family forum.

    The etymology here is interesting though, because "ghulam" in Arabic actually means young man or boy. It doesn't take too much of a stretch of imagination to see how young man came to be synonymous with slave in Urdu. An actual slave in Arabic would be "Abd." That didn't make it into Urdu.

    However, the female slave in Arabic is "ama," and the only place I've seen it being used is in female names in Ahmadi families. They sometimes have names such as Amatul Fatima etc, which I guess is the same as Kaneez Fatima, which was once quite a popular (if not exactly fashionable) name.


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

  63. #463
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    "Kaneez" is correct, in my opinion. "Baandi" is an alternate, as in "laundi," but the latter has certain connotations I wouldn't want to discuss on a family forum.

    The etymology here is interesting though, because "ghulam" in Arabic actually means young man or boy. It doesn't take too much of a stretch of imagination to see how young man came to be synonymous with slave in Urdu. An actual slave in Arabic would be "Abd." That didn't make it into Urdu.

    However, the female slave in Arabic is "ama," and the only place I've seen it being used is in female names in Ahmadi families. They sometimes have names such as Amatul Fatima etc, which I guess is the same as Kaneez Fatima, which was once quite a popular (if not exactly fashionable) name.
    So I was right!


    Dekha @Pakistani_Legend

  64. #464
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    5,872
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Regarding "Mustafavi", it is used in the poetic sense. One of the names/attributes of Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of God be upon him), in fact amongst the most famous ones, is Mustafa. It is used in the poetic sense by a Muslim to convey that he is a follower of Mustafa - that is, Mustafavi. Itīs more commonly used to describe a personīs deep affection and belief in the Islamic faith, whereas on the other hand the term Muslim is a standard term for any follower of the religion.
    The most popular usage of Mustafavi occurs in Jameeluddin Aali's "Hum Mustafavi Hein," written for the OIC do in 1974.


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

  65. #465
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    "Kaneez" is correct, in my opinion. "Baandi" is an alternate, as in "laundi," but the latter has certain connotations I wouldn't want to discuss on a family forum.

    The etymology here is interesting though, because "ghulam" in Arabic actually means young man or boy. It doesn't take too much of a stretch of imagination to see how young man came to be synonymous with slave in Urdu. An actual slave in Arabic would be "Abd." That didn't make it into Urdu.

    However, the female slave in Arabic is "ama," and the only place I've seen it being used is in female names in Ahmadi families. They sometimes have names such as Amatul Fatima etc, which I guess is the same as Kaneez Fatima, which was once quite a popular (if not exactly fashionable) name.
    If the online translations are anything to go by, the word "ghulaam" means "lad" etc. as well in Persian (alongside "slave"). So yeah, I myself had always thought that the word has evolved into Urdu through that Arabic word.

    Interesting bit regarding Ahmadis. I have never heard this personally, but then again I am less likely to have much to do with people in comparison to others.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    The most popular usage of Mustafavi occurs in Jameeluddin Aali's "Hum Mustafavi Hein," written for the OIC do in 1974.
    That used to be very famous in Pakistan and was often played on PTV for as long as I was there.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  66. #466
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    I will let you know in a week or two when the correction is done.
    Donīt you dare forget this promise!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  67. #467
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post
    .... And if there is, should be Ghulaama
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    .... I wrote ghulami even though I know it is completely different.
    Hahahaha!

    "Ghulaami" and "ghulaama" makes as much sense as "baja" for "brother", taking from the word "baji".
    Last edited by DHONI183; 3rd October 2014 at 09:21.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  68. #468
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Hahahaha!

    "Ghulaami" and "ghulaama" makes as much sense as "baja" for "brother", taking from the word "baji".
    I know but I attempted it nevertheless.

    Who knows, she may give me the marks for trying?

  69. #469
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    I know but I attempted it nevertheless.

    Who knows, she may give me the marks for trying?
    Good luck, my boy! My parents were called upon when I "tried", even though I was "trying" something completely different with my female teacher.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  70. #470
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Good luck, my boy! My parents were called upon when I "tried", even though I was "trying" something completely different with my female teacher.
    Astaghfirullah.

  71. #471
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Don't rely on those jaahil people. Always ask learned posters like @Nostalgic and @cricket083.

    As for the question, "kaneez" is the word I feel.

    If I indeed get it right, then shame on all of you as I have never learnt Urdu in life and have learnt to read on my own through tremendous hard work over the last two years, although I still struggle a great deal.

    *Self-obsessed post over!*
    Nah, I am not learned at all.

    Well, kaneez and laundi both are valid so far as I know.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  72. #472
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Astaghfirullah.
    You misunderstood, you dirty mind! "Completely different" signified that whereas the task was to write the feminine versions, I wrote the plurals.

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    Nah, I am not learned at all.

    Well, kaneez and laundi both are valid so far as I know.
    Aajzi tou koi aapse seekhey,.... aur sharafat mujhse!

    Regarding what we are discussing, I once befriended an elderly man and he used to address me like, Aeyh loundey, idhar aa!" Now, was he trying to give the impression to others that I am his slave?


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  73. #473
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    You misunderstood, you dirty mind! "Completely different" signified that whereas the task was to write the feminine versions, I wrote the plurals.
    I liked my interpretation more.

  74. #474
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    5,872
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Launda is about the equivalent of the word "punk." Not in its current context, i.e. punk rock or spoilt brat, but in its original meaning. Hence a word to be avoided.


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

  75. #475
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Aajzi tou koi aapse seekhey,.... aur sharafat mujhse!

    Regarding what we are discussing, I once befriended an elderly man and he used to address me like, Aeyh loundey, idhar aa!" Now, was he trying to give the impression to others that I am his slave?
    Ye tou such kaha aap ne (mere nahi apne baray main ).

    I don't know its exact meaning, I always take it as 'boy'. Nostalgic gave the precise answer.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  76. #476
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    5,872
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Just now I was thinking of the 1991 PTV serial "Shab Deg." MB (Maula Baksh) Bajwa, played by Ali Ejaz, is a low-caste villager pretending to be an Oxford graduate, working as head clerk at an office. He lives with two roommates in a poor Lahore neighborhood. The neighborhood halwai requests him to teach his daughters English. One day, one of the girls asks him, "Sir, Angrezi mein ghairat ko kia kehtey hein?"

    He thinks long and hard and then says, "Angrezi mein ghairat ko kuch nahein kehtey, kyunke angrezon mein ghairat nahein hoti."

    Snide remarks apart, what is "ghairat" in English? Its not pride. Its not ego. Its not arrogance.


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

  77. #477
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    othersī hearts
    Runs
    22,979
    Mentioned
    997 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Words in Urdu - need meaning in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Just now I was thinking of the 1991 PTV serial "Shab Deg." MB (Maula Baksh) Bajwa, played by Ali Ejaz, is a low-caste villager pretending to be an Oxford graduate, working as head clerk at an office. He lives with two roommates in a poor Lahore neighborhood. The neighborhood halwai requests him to teach his daughters English. One day, one of the girls asks him, "Sir, Angrezi mein ghairat ko kia kehtey hein?"

    He thinks long and hard and then says, "Angrezi mein ghairat ko kuch nahein kehtey, kyunke angrezon mein ghairat nahein hoti."

    Snide remarks apart, what is "ghairat" in English? Its not pride. Its not ego. Its not arrogance.
    Ahī, this is one very famous joke. Never knew that this actually belongs to a PTV drama.

    I donīt think we can translate it exactly. Something like "Self-respect" would be the closest, or "honour" in some contexts, like in "Ye hammaarey khaandaan ki ghairat ka muaamla hai."


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  78. #478
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    23,302
    Mentioned
    6763 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    What about self-esteem or dignity?

  79. #479
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shame.

  80. #480
    Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    37
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you guys for your help so far.......here come more urdu words....meaning in english needed:

    -hurriyat
    -tayyabaa
    -peshqadmi
    -maqsood
    -manzil-e-maqsood
    -vasi
    -hamir
    -bazaat-e-khud
    -bashmool
    -gairjaanibdaar
    -rashq
    -haami
    -naasir

    english to urdu:

    -swearing-in ceremony
    -conspiracy theory

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •