Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistan need only 2 consolidators in its T20 team

Currently Pakistan is playing 4 consolidators in its T20 team:
    1. Hafeez
    2. Asad
    3. Misbah
    4. Malik

Pakistan need only 2 consolidators in its T20 team. So they should drop 2 of the above consolidators and pick 2 hitters instead.

I suggest drop Asad and Misbah and select Ahmed Shehzad and another hitter.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we could just add another aggressive batsman in the top order in T20s (Shafiq should only be selected for Tests n ODIs), our t20 team will be good...I still say though we need Shehzad back for ODIs n T20s, and Jamshed should be recalled for T20 team as well...

PACK the T20 line up with BIG HITTERS, Malik + Misbah should be enough for nudgers...I loved the move of sending Lala at 4, it's another thing it didn't come off but it showed Misbah was FINALLY thinking today, hopefully it continues for remaining 2 T20 matches !!! and last but not the least, AWAIS ZIA was impressive in his brief stay, was looking to take the attack to England which is EXACTLY what we need in the top order, AGGRESSION !!!

this would be the ideal line up for T20s and the coming WC:

1) Hafeez
    2) Awais Zia
    3) Shehzad
    4) Lala
    5) Umar (wk)
    6) Misbah
    7) Malik
    8) Hammad/Razzaq
    9) Gul
    10) Ajmal
    11) Riaz/Cheema/Junai/any other young fast bowler

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lols when Pakistan lost 4 wickets quickly I was hoping for 6 consolidators. One partnership in one match doesn't change anything. We still need Misbah in the team.

Don't U C that the lion is silent and yet feared,while the dog barks constantly and is despised

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shafiq is a tremendous talent which people are failing to see. He can play in all formats just like Cook. He was batting well today untill Professor ran him out and he plays proper lovely shots. Let him bat at no.3 in both ODIs and T20.

Don't U C that the lion is silent and yet feared,while the dog barks constantly and is despised

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    Shafiq is a tremendous talent which people are failing to see. He can play in all formats just like Cook. He was batting well today untill Professor ran him out and he plays proper lovely shots. Let him bat at no.3 in both ODIs and T20.
    IAJ the kids brigade honestly do not understand cricket. If they do than I am afraid their agenda is something else......

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    Lala Land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    agreed...

id drop shafiq and malik and take kamran akmal and nasir jamshed instead

jamshed
    zia
    umar akmal
    hafeez
    misbah
    kamran akmal
    afridi
    hammad azam
    umar gul
    saeed ajmal
    junaid khan

if you are not attacking you are defending. And if you are defending you are losing.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez is not a consolidator.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Toronto/Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly after Misbah saved our butts AGAIN, do people not realize he has to play somewhat slow sometimes because of the crapiness of the top order.

Show a little bit of moderation, in both denouncement and praise.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People here calling other people kids need to understand the simple fact that its a 20 over match. 20 friggin overs. Not a test match.

There were times in this match where I was pulling my hair screaming at the team to hit out. We need more Awais Zia's in the lineup, Misbah and Malik/Asad etc. are enough consolidators.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan need 11 consolidators tbh.

So we don't get bowled out every time.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think people realize how much more shambolic we can be if Misbah or another 'consolidator' is not there.

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined - Nas

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Misbah should open in T20s. He is probably the only batter in our team who can change gears - albeit a clunky rather than smooth change. However better than nothing.

In Jamodis I think Azhar and Asad should open. With Umar and Misbah floating at 3 and 4. If we get a good start Umar comes in 1 down, if a bad start Misbah.

We need to start to have more flexible strategic thinking.

Bad Boys, Bad Boys....What you gonna do when the ICC come for you

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah used 26 balls and still scored just 26 runs at death. A Strike Rate of 100 at death is totally unacceptable in T20s.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hafeez and Shafiq can still play their strokes when in form. They have the ability to play to the game situation. Misbah and Malik won't ever score at a quick strike rate against a good bowling attack.

The key is to split up the batting line up so you have an aggressive player at one end. Imo apart from the openers of course the rest of the batting line up should be open to change depending on the match situation.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jy1970us View Post
    Misbah used 26 balls and still scored just 26 runs at death. A Strike Rate of 100 at death is totally unacceptable in T20s.
    Umar Akmal used 3 balls and scored 0 runs. Strike rate of -300. Kick him out.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whatever the circumstances dictate

u akmal should come at number 3 tho

''....the sea would be exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted... ''(18:109)

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah can hit big if he wants though, at the end.

I agree with Amoeba, we should go with a flexible approach.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by violet_may View Post
    Misbah can hit big if he wants though, at the end.

I agree with Amoeba, we should go with a flexible approach.
    why he did not hit big today then when it was needed? He is losing his big hit capability.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Birmingham, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goodness me...Do we really need more headless chickens like Afridi and Akmal...Zia...

Only person I would consider changing is perhaps Asad - in my opinion he should be limited to Tests and ODI only.

I would also choose Malik but can't say anything today lol.

There is a role for both tuk tuk and boom boom in T20's and if people can't see that after today's game then I suggest specsavers.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here's how the last 5 overs went (i.e. where you try to hit big I would assume):

Patel to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 run, Misbah steps away and cut out to deep cover

Patel to Misbah-ul-Haq, SIX, down the ground......six! Just over Swann at long off. It went high, high into the sky but just enough club to get it over the fielder. It was a swing from a full length on off stump with Misbah clearing the front leg

Patel to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 run, back foot punch to long on
    Pakistan 108/5 Misbah-ul-Haq 18* (19b 1x6)

Broad to Misbah-ul-Haq, no run, fine nut, swings away a touch and Misbah pokes at it and misses
    Pakistan 118/5 Misbah-ul-Haq 18* (20b 1x6)

Dernbach to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 run, slower ball deceives Misbah who drives on middle and leg and gets an edge to short long leg

Dernbach to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 run, but this is a little wrong, a full toss outside off, slapped to deep cover
    Pakistan 122/5 Misbah-ul-Haq 20* (22b 1x6)

Finn to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 run, short and wide and just angled into the off side, in the air through cover
    Pakistan 129/5 Misbah-ul-Haq 21* (23b 1x6)

Dernbach to Misbah-ul-Haq, no run, back of the hand slower ball and beats the Misbah heave outside off

Dernbach to Misbah-ul-Haq, FOUR, cut away and missed by Swann at short third man, that's a dreadful miss, away for four

Dernbach to Misbah-ul-Haq, 1 run, driven to extra cover and they run through
    He faced 10 deliveries, I don't see much wrong in there.

When did you want him to hit really big? Maybe he could've capitalized on that full toss, but not much wrong IMO.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here's how the last 5 overs went (i.e. where you try to hit big I would assume):

He faced 10 deliveries, I don't see much wrong in there.

When did you want him to hit really big? Maybe he could've capitalized on that full toss, but not much wrong IMO.
    so he scored 16 runs on his last 10 balls (4 of those runs where fluke because of misfielding) and you are happy with him? not to mention he eat up 16 first balls for just 10 runs

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yeah, but we had lost like 3-4 quick wickets in a matter of minutes.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still didn't answer the question. Which deliveries did you want him to go and hit big on, considering the field settings as well (in those last overs)?

There were one or two I thought he should've capitalized on, but you are making it seem as if he was horrendous out there.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You still didn't answer the question. Which deliveries did you want him to go and hit big on, considering the field settings as well (in those last overs)?

There were one or two I thought he should've capitalized on, but you are making it seem as if he was horrendous out there.
    all the ones on which he failed to score or score 1 run only. Its about time he give up on T20s.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, never mind. You honestly have nothing to say here.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, never mind. You honestly have nothing to say here.
    cannot defend 26 runs on 26 balls at death in T20s. sorry.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not defending it, there was room for improvement.

I am just saying it wasn't as horrendous as some are claiming, and that based on 26 from 26 balls today, he should be kicked out.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not defending it, there was room for improvement.

I am just saying it wasn't as horrendous as some are claiming, and that based on 26 from 26 balls today, he should be kicked out.
    there is no room for improvement. Misbah is already too old. This should be his last T20 series for Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently Pakistan is playing 4 consolidators in its T20 team:
    1. Hafeez
    2. Asad
    3. Misbah
    4. Malik

Pakistan need only 2 consolidators in its T20 team. So they should drop 2 of the above consolidators and pick 2 hitters instead.

I suggest drop Asad and Misbah and select Ahmed Shehzad and another hitter.
    Why you have come to the conclusion that Pakistan need 2 consolidators?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by youboy View Post
    Why you have come to the conclusion that Pakistan need 2 consolidators?
    because consolidators waste more balls to score runs than the hitters. And there are only 20 overs in a T20 match. 2 consolidators is just about right IMO.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because consolidators waste more balls to score runs than the hitters. And there are only 20 overs in a T20 match. 2 consolidators is just about right IMO.
    Consolidators who have SR as below is acceptable in a T20 game. You have bat 120 balls in a T20 game and you want batsman to play the full 20 over every match, to post a good total or chasing a good total.

Consolidators as per your list

1. Hafeez SR 116.21
    2. Asad SR 106.08
    3. Misbah SR 113.35
    4. Malik SR 113.13

Hitters

5. Afridi SR 143.42
    6. U Akmal SR 119.81

Debut
    Oct 2005
    Venue
    Manchester United-Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes fill the side with brainless sloggers. They were wonderful today weren't they. That Umar Akmal shot was a joy to watch.

we will not miss a 'never will be' like Malik. Drop Him For Good.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsalp View Post
    If we could just add another aggressive batsman in the top order in T20s (Shafiq should only be selected for Tests n ODIs), our t20 team will be good...I still say though we need Shehzad back for ODIs n T20s, and Jamshed should be recalled for T20 team as well...

PACK the T20 line up with BIG HITTERS, Malik + Misbah should be enough for nudgers...I loved the move of sending Lala at 4, it's another thing it didn't come off but it showed Misbah was FINALLY thinking today, hopefully it continues for remaining 2 T20 matches !!! and last but not the least, AWAIS ZIA was impressive in his brief stay, was looking to take the attack to England which is EXACTLY what we need in the top order, AGGRESSION !!!

this would be the ideal line up for T20s and the coming WC:

1) Hafeez
    2) Awais Zia
    3) Shehzad
    4) Lala
    5) Umar (wk)
    6) Misbah
    7) Malik
    8) Hammad/Razzaq
    9) Gul
    10) Ajmal
    11) Riaz/Cheema/Junai/any other young fast bowler
    afridi has generally been batting at 4 in t20's so it was not genius on misbah's part and plus that's the only position he's good at. Junaid khan was abysmal.It can't have been nerves as he played against england before. he can't swing the ball

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The side today was ok,

I would drop Malik, and play another bat in his place, maybe Abdul Razzaq

Also drop Junaid, he needs some time to grow I think.

Did I not charge you, O ye sons of Adam, that ye worship not the devil - Lo! he is your open foe!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ideal side for me

1. Hafeez
    2. Awais Zia (or someone else if he doesn't pan out)
    3. Umar Akmal
    4. Abdul Razzaq
    5. Hammad Azam
    6. Shahid Afridi - maybe swap with Hammad Azam, Afridi is a floater, play him according to situation
    7. Misbah - If there is a collapse, he is there to do damage control, if the hitters are working no need for him to come in and block balls
    8. Younis/ Asad Shafiq/Azhar Ali - someone who can stop the bleeding if it comes to it
    9. Gul
    10. Ajmal
    11. Junaid/Wahab/Cheema/Rotation fast bowler

My philosophy is simple, 'play to win' and not to 'not lose'. As such I have put the positive batsmen up in the order, where they can play freely and know that there is some batting behind them. If the top order collapses, then there are a couple of bats down the order who can get the team to a semi respectable 140 score.

So you have 8 batsmen, if two or three in the top order click, then you have the possiblity of a massive score.

Have a good strong bowling attack with enough options

Fast
    1 Gul
    2 New Fast bowler, Junaid, Cheema, Riaz, Talha, Rahat etc.
    3. Abdul Razzq
    4. Hammad, if needed

Spin
    1. Hafeez
    2. Ajmal
    3. Afridi

That is a pool of 7 bowlers, so if one is struggling, like Junaid was today, you have some options to go to.

Did I not charge you, O ye sons of Adam, that ye worship not the devil - Lo! he is your open foe!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Misbah is needed in the side + one more consolidator

stack the rest of the side up with legit big hitters

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone remember when India started using a pinch hitter as the third man in, first with Irfan Pathan, then with a new wicket keeper who could supposebly only bat in the slog overs, but was quite the hitter.....What was his name....that wicket keeper

Anyways why not shove Gul in that third over. He is as strong a hitter i have seen, and i am sure he is more then capable of hitting some rope clearing sixes with the fielders up

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    completely agree even in ODIs we have too many

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    misbah always plays like this no matter what the situation is . If the top order goes early then it becomes a good innings otherwise a crap innings.

Privatize PCB

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Birmingham, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mohimran View Post
    Does anyone remember when India started using a pinch hitter as the third man in, first with Irfan Pathan, then with a new wicket keeper who could supposebly only bat in the slog overs, but was quite the hitter.....What was his name....that wicket keeper

Anyways why not shove Gul in that third over. He is as strong a hitter i have seen, and i am sure he is more then capable of hitting some rope clearing sixes with the fielders up
    I don't agree - but I admit he does look fluent at times and perhaps continue to work harder on his batting.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be concluded now that the first consolidator to be out of this T20 team is Misbah. 13 runs on 24 ball at strike rate of 54.16 at #6 position in a T20 game is absolutely pathetic.
    Last edited by jy1970us; 27th February 2012 at 14:35.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez is not a consolidator, he is a walking wicket!

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And 2 consolidators should not be at the crease at the same time.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's a valid point the opening poster makes.

I think you need a balance of hitters and steady batsmen in your top 6 or 7. At the moment the Pakistani batting line up in T20 cricket is a bit too conservative for my liking.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many consolidators are hurting this team. They used up most of the deliveries and there are very few left for hitters to win the match.