Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England earn ICC pay-out after rain halts Dunedin Test

England earn ICC pay-out after rain halts Dunedin Test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/17332899

England are guaranteed to earn $175,000 (£111,666) from the International Cricket Council for being the number one Test side on 1 April - thanks to the weather in New Zealand.

Second-placed South Africa would have taken top spot if they had beaten the Kiwis 3-0 in their three-Test series.

But with New Zealand 137-2 chasing 401 to win the first Test, rain prevented any play on the final day in Dunedin.

England's players have just flown to Sri Lanka for a two-Test series.

They will hold their first training session on Monday, in preparation for two warm-up matches ahead of the Tests in Galle and Colombo.

But former England skipper Graham Gooch, newly installed as the team's full-time batting coach, insists they are focused on the series at hand rather than the number one ranking.

They reached the top of the table after whitewashing India 4-0 on home soil last summer, but has come under threat after they were whitewashed 3-0 themselves by Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates last month.

"Does being number one dominate team meetings now? No," Gooch explained.

"What does dominate team meetings is how we are going to beat Sri Lanka, how we are going to beat the West Indies in the next series, how we are going to beat South Africa after that.

"It was obviously a goal of the team and for English cricket to reach that position.

"Hanging on to it was always going to be the harder bit so I don't think you should always look at that bigger picture.

"You can only stay at that level if you keep winning series, keep winning individual matches. That's what we need to focus on."

The top team in the ICC rankings at the 1 April cut-off date receives prize money, while South Africa will retain second place and win $75,000 (£47,860) if they avoid defeat in both remaining Tests in New Zealand.
    Lucky!

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Your hearts <3
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afros were not gonna win 3-0 anyway, so that's well deserved for England. They have been the best test side for quite a while.

Duniya ki sochugi saade baare, Eh gal billo chhad de.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Libreville, Gabon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you get $175,000 for being the top test side, doesnt seem like a lot all things considered, thought it would be at least $300,000 to $400,000

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Your hearts <3
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Yea Swanny certainly can't buy a pink ferrari with that amount

*Hangs head in disbelief*
    Last edited by freelance_cricketer; 11th March 2012 at 20:40.

Duniya ki sochugi saade baare, Eh gal billo chhad de.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England are guaranteed to earn $175,000 (£111,666) from the International Cricket Council for being the number one Test side on 1 April - thanks to the weather in New Zealand.

So much for prioritizing Tests from ICC, joke of a reward compared to what some players earn individually playing three weeks of T20 domestic cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Question: After 1st April, will the rankings start all over again with each team having 0 points, or will it just continue from here?

"It's more important to try to do something for the crores of poor people of my country." - IK

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Libreville, Gabon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Leopard View Post

So much for prioritizing Tests from ICC, joke of a reward compared to what some players earn individually playing three weeks of T20 domestic cricket.
    its not so much about players as the majority of the money i assume goes to the boards, however if icc fiscally prioritiesed test cricket it would incentivise cricket boards to focus on test cricket to balance out individual players preference for t20 club cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No wonder u get so many fixers in the game , looks like ICC want to pay peanuts for being no1 team.

A Sports person is but a product of the environment they grow up in.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    Question: After 1st April, will the rankings start all over again with each team having 0 points, or will it just continue from here?
    I believe the majority of points carry over & continue, but the oldest year drops off.

For example your points won last for 3 years. As time passes, the oldest of those 3 years stops being counted and the 2nd oldest takes their place as new years begin.

Older series points are valued at half value, newer series at full value, so rankings stay current.

The system does not only use points won (which would favour teams who play more) but divides those points by number of games/series played to provide a RATING.

So no, it never starts at zero again, but newer performances take precedence.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOSRA95 View Post
    No wonder u get so many fixers in the game , looks like ICC want to pay peanuts for being no1 team.
    The home boards pay players because THEY receieve $$$$ for TV rights deals on series played, NOT the ICC. This is just a prizemoney.

The ICC only gets $$$ for ICC events (eg world cup, champions trophy), which is why we see more t20 WC's so often now.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    I believe the majority of points carry over & continue, but the oldest year drops off.

For example your points won last for 3 years. As time passes, the oldest of those 3 years stops being counted and the 2nd oldest takes their place as new years begin.

Older series points are valued at half value, newer series at full value, so rankings stay current.

The system does not only use points won (which would favour teams who play more) but divides those points by number of games/series played to provide a RATING.

So no, it never starts at zero again, but newer performances take precedence.
    Ohk, thanks.

"It's more important to try to do something for the crores of poor people of my country." - IK