Up your's
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guardiola to quit Barcelona

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Sports
    Sky Sports sources understand that Pep Guardiola has told Barcelona he will leave the club at the end of the season.

The Barcelona boss has guided the Catalan giants to two UEFA Champions League titles in his four seasons with the club as well as a host of other trophies.

But the former Barca star's future has been a source of constant speculation for months and the 41-year-old is understood to have finally confirmed he intends to bring his time at the club to an end.

A joint press conference will be held by Guardiola and Barcelona president Sandro Rosell on Friday morning at 11am.

The decision follows Barcelona's sensational exit from the Champions League at the hands of Chelseain Tuesday's semi-final.

Sky Sports' Spanish football expert Guillem Balague believes Guardiola could be planning to try his luck as a manager in the Premier League before long.

Balague told Sky Sports: "He has the urge to coach in another place. He wants to come to the Premier League.

"He couldn't make it here as a player. He was close to joining Wigan at one point I believe. Manchester United wanted him at some point, Liverpool and Spurs, but it didn't happen.

"And as a manager he wants to prove himself in the Premier League."

Guardiola's potential arrival in England would raise the possibility of some of Barcelona's famous players linking up with him in the Premier League.

Fresh voice

And while Balague does not rule out the prospect, he believes a fresh voice may be what his current players need.

Asked about the chance of Barca's superstars coming to England, Balague said: "It's a good point because they are very close to him; they've grown to be better players with him.

"But at the same time, four years with the same manager, seeing the same face, you wonder if that is one of the reasons Guardiola, if he decides to leave, will leave."

And Balague notes there has already been speculation as to who will replace Guardiola as Barcelona manager next season.

"We have got four names that have been mentioned," he added. "Four names that are very much liked by president Sandro Rosell and the director of football Andoni Zubizarreta."

The four managers that have been earmarked are believed to include Athletic Bilbao's maverick Argentine coach Marcelo Bielsa and ex-Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas.

The two names making up the list of candidates are both former Barcelona players - France boss Laurent Blanc and Ernesto Valverde, who quit as Olympiakos manager last week.

A further possibility could be another former team-mate of Guardiola's, Roma boss Luis Enrique.

The 41-year-old spent eight years with the club as a player and three years coaching the B team before leaving for Italy last summer.

The options are believed to have already been lined up as a contingency plan should Guardiola decide upon a sabbatical.

Exhaustion

Balague is also keen to rubbish suggestion this is a knee-jerk reaction to Barcelona's Champions League defeat to Chelsea in midweek.

He added: "Let me tell you a little story because I have been writing the biography of Guardiola. For six months he has been thinking of leaving.

"He had had it at the back of his mind and he uses it a bit as a mechanism because if he thinks he is going to stay another four years at Barcelona that would kill him because of the exhaustion of how he works; the amount of hours he puts in.

"This is not a decision just based on results or players that don't want him anymore or problems in the changing room. It just comes to the point where he tells the chairman he just cannot continue.

"The question is, would that blank cheque - the possibility to do anything he wanted at Barcelona - change his mind? I don't know. We will certainly know tomorrow (Friday's press conference)."

With Guardiola's spell in charge set to come to an end, thoughts turn to where he fits in among the pantheon of great coaches in Barcelona's history.

Balague believes Guardiola's achievements cannot be measured in terms of mere trophies, despite there being 13 of them during his time at the helm and the possibility of a 14th next month if Barca beat Athletic in the Copa del Rey final.

"He would say that Johan Cruyff was a bigger manager than him because not only has he won consecutive league titles, one European Cup and one final of another European Cup, It's just the fact that Johan Cruyff changed the mentality of the club.

"But it is certain that he has taken the club to another level - a coach beyond titles. The style in which he has done it, the way he has made Messi the player that he is.

"It's just now you can see, talk to Brendan Rodgers, talk to Roberto Martinez, the influence of Pep Guardiola goes well beyond Barcelona."
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...quit-Barcelona

19 Titles - There's only one United

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it isn't true BUT these reports/rumours have been going on for ages, almost every year since he joined so it does seem likely. It will be the end of a fascinating era

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Up your's
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's on BBC too.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fake story.

"Give me the cold steel of the European Cup over a warm smile any day." L6 Red

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ How is it fake? It came from Guillem who is normally spot on with news from Spain (Fabregas and Ronaldo).

I think Arsenal should make their move. Wenger upstairs and Pep to take over. Then again I think Mancini will get sacked if he wins the league or not and City will go for Pep.

When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Pep does leave then I would like Barca to go for Bielsa

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    For me to know and you to find out
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal can replace Wenger now!!!! please!!!!

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
    If Pep does leave then I would like Barca to go for Bielsa
    Exactly! Bielsa the only one I want if Pep quits...

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Here are some of the names being thrown around.

1) Luis Enrique
    2) Luis Milla
    3) Vincente Del Bosque
    4) Joachim Low
    5) Fabio Capello
    6) Andre Villas-Boas
    7) Marcelo Bielsa

Some very interesting names.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most probably he will head to Chelsea.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^Dont want him he wont suit our style of play

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marcelo Bielsa is whom I would prefer

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't be able to cope up with the team just like AVB failed to, Chelsea is a massive defensive team that loves to defend more than attacking and look back at some years they didn't lost at Bridge for more than 4 years, Pep works out on attacking style which is hard to remove from Chelsea hope Di Matteo stays.

Quote Originally Posted by PetroDollars View Post
    Most probably he will head to Chelsea.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guardiola will take a break from football methinks, the Barca job has taken a lot out of him.

Methinks it'll be a former Barcelona player that gets the job; Luis Enrique for his knowledge of the B team or Frank de Boer who's shown championship winning credentials as Ajax manager.

"Oh, lovely, lovely. Well, look, I'd love to stop and chat but I'd rather have type 2 diabetes."

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope Arsenal replace wenger with Pep! time for a new manager!

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now a fan of West Ham, -don't judge- I think that Pep will be going to Chelsea, they've got the money, and my brother will be happy, but one cannot deny what RDM has done to Chelsea.

Why am I even on this forum, I don't even watch cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mufassir View Post
    ^Dont want him he wont suit our style of play
    and what is your style of play?

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone sits down and listens to John Terry.

"Oh, lovely, lovely. Well, look, I'd love to stop and chat but I'd rather have type 2 diabetes."

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep would take a year free if he decide to leave, Bielsa and Enrique is the only one I would think can take over from Pep, but since Enrique is new, I would go for Bielsa who also is our top target

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a strong possibility this year but he also hinted that he would stay a week ago so lets see how it goes

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    A Hong Kong Pond
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Hope Arsenal replace wenger with Pep! time for a new manager!
    Pep is walking away to have a break so doubt he would go into a new job straight away. Expect him to take a 6 month break initially and see what interesting offers come up.

I suspect he wants to know whether he'll miss football management. He may well find that he enjoys life more when's he out of it. Either way doubt he will go to Arsenal for the start of next season.....but football is a funny old game.

Spurs is probably a bigger and better option for him.
    Last edited by Amoeba; 27th April 2012 at 05:04.

Bad Boys, Bad Boys....What you gonna do when the ICC come for you

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Up your's
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to United! Be SAF's assistant, then take over!

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Park the Bus and try and grab a lucky break!

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Pep is walking away to have a break so doubt he would go into a new job straight away. Expect him to take a 6 month break initially and see what interesting offers come up.

I suspect he wants to know whether he'll miss football management. He may well find that he enjoys life more when's he out of it. Either way doubt he will go to Arsenal for the start of next season.....but football is a funny old game.

Wenger contract runs out in next few seasons so Pep could quite easily step in.

Why he would join a small poxy club like spurs who will be playing europa league football at best is anyones guess

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its confirmed, he is going. Thank you for everything Guardiola and villanova is going to be the new coach
    Last edited by ecstatic_freak; 27th April 2012 at 12:25.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep leaves Vilanova the new coach, Pep will be missed, but Vilanova is a great replacement since he know Barca very well..

Thank You for Everything Pep!

Visca El Barca

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to see him go BUT it seems like he made his mind up a long time ago

Good luck to Tito, he certainly has huge shoes to fill

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to see him go BUT it seems like he made his mind up a long time ago

Good luck to Tito, he certainly has huge shoes to fill
    Ya he said that he already told the management a year ago, he just didn't tell his players that he'd be going for sure.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    Agree, I mean they are struggling so I completely understand where your coming from.

I'm back.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he'll probably wait till Fergie retire before looking for a new job

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resolute defence and quick counter attack

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Barca think they are getting Harry then they will be in for a shock.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was in school and came back from my mates house, sad to see him go

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guillem Balague, talking about Barcelona's new managerial appointment, was quoted as saying ' They are copying the Shankly, Paisley, Fagan promoting from within era at Liverpool.'

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Up your's
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pep Guardiola distances himself from Chelsea manager vacancy

Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    Pep Guardiola has distanced himself from the Chelsea manager's job after confirming he will leave Barcelona at the end of the season.
    The 41-year-old has always been Roman Abramovich's top choice to replace Andre Villas-Boas on permanent basis.
    But with Guardiola set to take a sabbatical, interim manager Roberto di Matteo is the leading candidate.
    Guardiola said: "I'm not interesting in coaching now. There are more things than football."
    Chelsea are still hopeful of persuading the Catalan to postpone his break.
    Abramovich has wanted to replicate Barcelona's playing style and youth development for several years.
    He had meetings with Txiki Begiristain, Barcelona's former director of football, about taking up a similar role at Stamford Bridge, only to see his offer rejected.
    Guardiola denied ever having had similar meetings with Abramovich. "I have never met with Roman Abramovich nor any Chelsea representative, I have always respected this club." Guardiola said on Friday.
    "I will rest and maybe one day I will say, now let's train. Maybe not. Let's see where life takes me. My desire is to do other things.
    "I don't have anything to prove. I'm not interested in proving myself abroad and will go away from football at the moment. I have nothing left and need to recharge my batteries.
    "I have to recover and the only way I can do that is by distancing myself."
    Guardiola, who has won 13 of the 16 trophies he has contested since taking charge at the Nou Camp in 2008, will be replaced by his assistant Tito Vilanova.
    Spain's tax system, which has a rate of just 20 per cent for sports stars, could hinder Chelsea's chances of getting their man. Britain's higher tax rate is now 45% and Abramovich would need to offer at least £10m a year to match the salary Guardiola was paid at Barcelona.
    Di Matteo, Chelsea's interim manager, paid tribute to Guardiola on Friday but warned against attempting to replicate what he had created at Barcelona.
    ''What a coach, what a manager. He's a great guy, a role model with many years as a coach ahead of him.
    "He's had such tremendous success and has decided what is probably best for himself, his career and probably his family.
    "I'm not sure anyone else can replicate [what he has achieved]. History tells us it's difficult to replicate the culture of a club into a different club.
    "He [Guardiola] might be the first one to do it. But if you look back at history, it seems as if it's been different."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17867243

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Villas-Boas predicted this.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articl...celona-2733641

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas is convinced Pep Guardiola will leave Barcelona.

Villas-Boas feels Guardiola has the desire to test himself away from the Nou Camp.

"He has the same first team players as Frank Rijkaard did, homegrown players who did not behave as they now behave. His ideas have a unique foundation and are unique," said AVB.

"Some of his ideas can work outside of Barcelona.

"I've spoken to him two or three times and feel he has that desire ..."

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mufassir View Post
    Resolute defence and quick counter attack
    I have a few questions if you don't mind

1) Do you think that is a unique style of play?
    2) Do you think it is a style of play that is difficult for another to implement/continue?
    3) Are you content with this style of play?

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barcelona style of play,

-DIVE
    -DIVE
    -PRETEND BROKEN LEG

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniyal99 View Post
    Barcelona style of play,

-DIVE
    -DIVE
    -PRETEND BROKEN LEG
    Kid dont waste ur time by this diving thing.. Every teams does it and YES some players in Barca do it too, but not everyone

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justarslan View Post
    Guillem Balague, talking about Barcelona's new managerial appointment, was quoted as saying ' They are copying the Shankly, Paisley, Fagan promoting from within era at Liverpool.'
    Did it work?

Dont know anything about Liverpool in their golden days...

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistaniboy View Post
    Kid dont waste ur time by this diving thing.. Every teams does it and YES some players in Barca do it too, but not everyone
    Lol, I know

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistaniboy View Post
    Did it work?

Dont know anything about Liverpool in their golden days...
    It worked wonderfully. All four Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, and Dalglish won league titles. Paisley and Fagan won European Cup as well while Shanks won UEFA Cup. Dalglish did not get the chance to manage us in Europe as we were banned from Europe. It all ended after Souness became Manager after board did not let Dalglish sign Alan Shearer and he resigned. Souness came with new ideas he learned in during his playing time at Sampdoria. Those were right ideas but Liverpool was not ready for them, but he tried his best. Liverpool have not won top flight title since Dalglish managed us to our 18th league title in 1990.

I think it can work at Barcelona. You guys have Barcelona system of playing football like Liverpool had our pass and move system of playing football in our glory days. Board will have to show faith in Barcelona system and stick with the manager if early results are bad or team go through a bad patch during the season. It is about having unity at club from top to bottom and working toward the same goal of winning trophies for the club.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More like the end of the backpass killed Liverpool's strategy.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep said he quit due to the fact he had to much to manage at Barcelona. Well it is the best team in the world man.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    Only supporters of organized crime like you would believe that.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justarslan View Post
    Only supporters of organized crime like you would believe that.
    Ain't most Liverpool supporters, supporters of organised crime, lol?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should have waited till the end of the season. Good manager who apart from his spells in italy and arabia, has been at barca for the last 20-30 years
    The building up of talent from the youth team right up to the b team and senior squad at barca along with it's catalonian spirit and community links is the real reason for its success with everyone involved insiders who are part of the family.

''....the sea would be exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted... ''(18:109)

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top top manager who has taken Barca to another level. 13 trophies in 4 years is a phenomenal achievement.

Personally I would love for him to take over from SAF as and when the big man retires.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Up your's
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - SAF wins the PL and CL double next season.
    - Retires 'on a high.'
    - Pep finishes 1 year break and manages United.

Perfect

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicharito14Hernandez View Post
    - Retires 'on a high.'

Perfect
    If not Barcelona, then its Italy for him, a huge huge fan of Brescia.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha...

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guardiola will be replaced by his assistant in barcelona as the head coach.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Retires 'on a high.'

Perfect
    hmmm

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    your best ever post on PP

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Up your's
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I think my version is more realistic.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ I think my version is more realistic.
    Except Pep will probably have retired by the time Fergie leaves.

Honetly speaking, I wouldn't want Pep. If he can't handle the media pressure after 4 years, he will just leave us too. And mind you, it is not like his team were doing badly, they won everything there was and then lost by one goal in both competitios while vastly dominating both match ups. At United, he won't have those calibre of players and he will be competing with one team who has a vast financial advantage and 2 or 3 more than are realistic title contenders. If he struggles, will he jump ship at the first chance?

United, like Barca have a history or "DNA" of the way the club operates and plays. Barca always been big on the technical side. United have always had that never say die attitude back from the Busby Days. I think we may need to look at home before looking at Jose and Pep because both will leave within 5 years of the job, they will get bored.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.