Instagram

Sohail Speaks Ponty''s Blog Fountain's Pen

User Tag List

Thread: How can Pakistan be accepted in world cricket?

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Debut
    May 2011
    Runs
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How can Pakistan be accepted in world cricket?

    Before I start, for full disclosure, I'm a person of Indian origin who has lived in the US for a very long time, and I love cricket with great passion.

    I have loved watching the Pakistan team of the past, including the one lead by Imran Khan when I was young, and wonder what the way out for Pakistan is to become a force to reckon with. Before you all jump at me, I realize that the team has done reasonably well the past two years, and that some of you wish that Pakistan gets to play the best teams again to prove it's ability.


    I can think of three reasons.

    1. It takes a lot to build trust and only a few things to break it.

    Incidents such as the attack on the Srilankan cricket team, match fixing, and other incidents that the country has suffered at large has led to a lack of trust in general.

    SO how does one build it again? Professional attitudes to mistakes of the past, and professional system for lesser mistakes in the future would be a good start. This is not enough though. What one needs is lots of patience to be accepted again, similar to what an infidel husband has to do, to prove to a suspecting wife.

    Hence, be patient for trust to be built.

    2. Sports helps channel our need for competition in a healthy way, politicizing it makes it unhealthy all over again

    One reason why the ancient romans watched gladiators go at each other, and why we watch rival teams go at each other --- is because of our innate sense of competition. Except team sports played with national identity, such as cricket, is a great way to channelize energy for the youth.

    However, once you bring political drama (whether team selection, management etc) to the game, then you bring the gladiators back, and then people are looking for blood to be shed instead of runs to be scored. So the more the team can be seen as independent of political activity, the better of it is. One might argue, then isnt this the case for the BCCI. Yes it is, infact that is one of the prime reasons why Indian cricket hasnt yet gained its respect despite the money, the glitz, the glamor and the great players.

    So de-politicize.

    3. A professional system is more important than a great professional leader

    Imran Khan was awesome at spotting talent, however, what one needs is a system that not only helps bring the best talent to the fore.....but also instills in them a great sense of professionalism, that will make 11 brand pakistan ambassadors out of talented individuals from rural areas.

    International cricket is a finishing school for talented individuals, to display talent and to build accolades for the national side. However, professional domestic cricket is the building block to get these individuals to become the Younis Khan kind of ambassadors, who smile when things are going bad....and display fair and good play. Not the biting the ball, kind of display that Shahid Afridi displayed, that beyond his talent, acted as a poor ambassador for pakistan cricket.

    So, build a professional domestic league.

    That's it folks three reasons is what I came up with -- be patient to build trust, de-politicize the current system, and build a professional domestic league.

    What other things can you come up with?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,972
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You've made valid points but I'd like for you to elaborate on why you feel Afridi was a poor ambassador for Pakistan Cricket because he was straightforward or complained about the attitude of the Indian media?


    #StayVicious

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    6,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the most important step needs to be -

    make a good reputation in international arena.

    bombing happens everywhere. But in case of pakistan, the punishment gets hasher and hasher. One must need to know the reason.

    Gov, courts will always intervene cricket when safety is concerned. A foreign board won't send players when they have the impression that it is not safe.

    All these didn't happen in one day. Pakistan was losing the image day by day and SL bus attack was just last hammer. It'l take years to again gain that trust.

    But as the media portrays the condition in pakistan, i don't think in near future it is possible. Only some drastic change can help.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,972
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    I believe the most important step needs to be -

    make a good reputation in international arena.

    bombing happens everywhere. But in case of pakistan, the punishment gets hasher and hasher. One must need to know the reason.

    Gov, courts will always intervene cricket when safety is concerned. A foreign board won't send players when they have the impression that it is not safe.

    All these didn't happen in one day. Pakistan was losing the image day by day and SL bus attack was just last hammer. It'l take years to again gain that trust.

    But as the media portrays the condition in pakistan, i don't think in near future it is possible. Only some drastic change can help.
    You managed to beat around the bush but I think you acknowledge the real problem.

    The media has exaggerated the security concerns to ridiculous proportions. It's the media which influences the people. Thats where the problem lies. Yes, Pakistan isn't the safest place on earth but it isn't nearly as dangerous as it is made out to be.


    #StayVicious

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    6,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canistani Hero View Post
    You managed to beat around the bush but I think you acknowledge the real problem.

    The media has exaggerated the security concerns to ridiculous proportions. It's the media which influences the people. Thats where the problem lies. Yes, Pakistan isn't the safest place on earth but it isn't nearly as dangerous as it is made out to be.
    ofcourse. SL wasn't safe in '96 world cup. Still matches were played. Its time pak foreign affairs ministry take some steps to repair the damage. It'l not only help cricket but over all. Correct me if i am wrong. Recently a very young woman is given foreign ministry in pak gov right? If yes, it can be a good step. She'l be full of energy, less expose to corruption with a good will.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    13,972
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    ofcourse. SL wasn't safe in '96 world cup. Still matches were played. Its time pak foreign affairs ministry take some steps to repair the damage. It'l not only help cricket but over all. Correct me if i am wrong. Recently a very young woman is given foreign ministry in pak gov right? If yes, it can be a good step. She'l be full of energy, less expose to corruption with a good will.
    Yes, Hina Rabbani Khar is Pakistan's new Foreign Minister. Who recently made a 'glamorous' visit to India. You have to understand Pakistani's are very passionate people, they were driven more by emotions than by rational thought. South Africa survived over 2 decades without cricket. Zaka Ashraf, I believe has shown himself to be a very competent individual, I'm sure he's out set these wrongs right but our people need to be a little more patient and not stop poking conspiracy theories because they only add fuel to the fire.


    #StayVicious

  7. #7
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    4,149
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    ofcourse. SL wasn't safe in '96 world cup. Still matches were played.
    Australia and West Indies did not play Sri Lanka in group matches for security issues in Sri Lanka and points were awarded to Sri Lanka for those matches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    ofcourse. SL wasn't safe in '96 world cup. Still matches were played. Its time pak foreign affairs ministry take some steps to repair the damage. It'l not only help cricket but over all. Correct me if i am wrong. Recently a very young woman is given foreign ministry in pak gov right? If yes, it can be a good step. She'l be full of energy, less expose to corruption with a good will.
    This reminds me of what General Tauqeer Zia said after General Musharaf made him PCB chairman. We will hire khatay pitay log to paraphrase Gen. Zia.


    "Give me the cold steel of the European Cup over a warm smile any day." L6 Red

  8. #8
    Debut
    May 2011
    Venue
    Melbourne, Australia
    Runs
    512
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by narayanjan View Post
    Before I start, for full disclosure, I'm a person of Indian origin who has lived in the US for a very long time, and I love cricket with great passion.

    I have loved watching the Pakistan team of the past, including the one lead by Imran Khan when I was young, and wonder what the way out for Pakistan is to become a force to reckon with. Before you all jump at me, I realize that the team has done reasonably well the past two years, and that some of you wish that Pakistan gets to play the best teams again to prove it's ability.


    I can think of three reasons.

    1. It takes a lot to build trust and only a few things to break it.

    Incidents such as the attack on the Srilankan cricket team, match fixing, and other incidents that the country has suffered at large has led to a lack of trust in general.

    SO how does one build it again? Professional attitudes to mistakes of the past, and professional system for lesser mistakes in the future would be a good start. This is not enough though. What one needs is lots of patience to be accepted again, similar to what an infidel husband has to do, to prove to a suspecting wife.

    Hence, be patient for trust to be built.

    2. Sports helps channel our need for competition in a healthy way, politicizing it makes it unhealthy all over again

    One reason why the ancient romans watched gladiators go at each other, and why we watch rival teams go at each other --- is because of our innate sense of competition. Except team sports played with national identity, such as cricket, is a great way to channelize energy for the youth.

    However, once you bring political drama (whether team selection, management etc) to the game, then you bring the gladiators back, and then people are looking for blood to be shed instead of runs to be scored. So the more the team can be seen as independent of political activity, the better of it is. One might argue, then isnt this the case for the BCCI. Yes it is, infact that is one of the prime reasons why Indian cricket hasnt yet gained its respect despite the money, the glitz, the glamor and the great players.

    So de-politicize.

    3. A professional system is more important than a great professional leader

    Imran Khan was awesome at spotting talent, however, what one needs is a system that not only helps bring the best talent to the fore.....but also instills in them a great sense of professionalism, that will make 11 brand pakistan ambassadors out of talented individuals from rural areas.

    International cricket is a finishing school for talented individuals, to display talent and to build accolades for the national side. However, professional domestic cricket is the building block to get these individuals to become the Younis Khan kind of ambassadors, who smile when things are going bad....and display fair and good play. Not the biting the ball, kind of display that Shahid Afridi displayed, that beyond his talent, acted as a poor ambassador for pakistan cricket.

    So, build a professional domestic league.

    That's it folks three reasons is what I came up with -- be patient to build trust, de-politicize the current system, and build a professional domestic league.

    What other things can you come up with?
    You have raised some very true points.

    Completely agree, cause these if worked on will only benefit Pakistan Cricket, Pakistan as a nation, nd the International world of cricket !

    Buthonestly i dont see how, with the current setup ? Well need a true passionate pakistani nd a cricket lover as a PCB chief who will dare to work on your Point no. 1 nd 3. Nd lets not evn discuss Point 2. The Govt itself wont want it !! SO really dnt see how ?? thats where i always get stuck

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

:: Cricket-Blog:: Saqlain Mushtaq Academy:: wasimakramlive.com:: Sri Lanka Cricket News:: Bouncer Sports:: Cricket Heroes::