Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Mohammad Akram Appointed Pakistan Bowling Coach

Former Pakistan, Surrey, Sussex, Northamptonshire, Essex and Allied Bank pace bowler Mohammad Akram has been appointed the Pakistan bowling coach by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Rawalpindi born Akram played 32 matches for Pakistan between September 1995 and March 2001 and was generally regarded as one of Pakistan's fastest bowlers. The 37 year old took 36 wickets in those 32 international matches including a Test best 5 for 138. A wholehearted performer, his international chances were limited largely due to the world class talents of Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis who were automatic selections throughout their career.

In addition to his international experience, Akram has experience of Pakistan domestic cricket as well as county cricket with a number of high profile county teams in England. Akram has 415 wickets in 125 first class matches as well as 148 wickets in 129 List A matches.

Akram who has recently been coaching in the United Kingdom, was backed for the role by the likes of Rashid Latif and Azhar Mahmood both of whom felt that he was the right man for the job given his experience of Pakistan cricket, his experience of English County cricket and his ability to interact with the current group of international players and upcoming cricketers in Pakistan.

Speaking with PakPassion.net a source close to the Pakistan Cricket Board stated "After much debate and discussions the PCB has chosen Mohammad Akram as the Pakistan bowling coach. The PCB chose Akram as he has a good rapport with the current group of Pakistani cricketers, they know him and he has experience of Pakistan domestic cricket and also a lot of experience in County cricket."

The source added "Akram will not just work with the current group of international bowlers, he will also be expected to work with the upcoming bowlers at the National Cricket Academy as well as at grass roots levels with a particular emphasis on grooming and preparing the next generation of fast bowlers for Pakistan."

Akram was backed for the role by a number of former Pakistani first class cricketers including Rashid Latif and Azhar Mahmood and is expected to commence the role as early as next month.
    Last edited by MenInG; 19th August 2012 at 02:54.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Akram!

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    Matrix
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

"Vinay runs up to bowl like he is going to deliver a 170 mph scorcher"

Debut
    Dec 2004
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has Akram got any coaching experience at all?

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well done, i guess with him having good links to PP we should get some exclusives to what our bowling resources are really like.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Excellent news and good to see some home grown talent being utilized but does he have the technical depth?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to a fan of his in his playing days. Was hard done by politics in the team. Very talented bowler.

The only issue I have is that he wasnt good at reversing the ball, the traditional pakistani trait, that I think, should be part of any pak bowling coach's resume

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope he does good things for Pakistan but he was a very average bowler and controversial person

I only remember him for one thing only that is when Pakistan threatened to walk out of South Africa tour 1998 when Pakistan board accused Akram and Mushtaq being mugged outside the hotel. The rumours began to circulate that the injury they carried were due to a bar brawl. The bar was a local strip club.
    Last edited by shah_1; 19th August 2012 at 03:06.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    We have to remember that coaches dont need to be exceptional bowlers.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping for Mr. Pont.

Debut
    Aug 2008
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best of luck to him, hope he does well

Debut
    Aug 2008
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar_ahmad View Post
    I used to a fan of his in his playing days. Was hard done by politics in the team. Very talented bowler.

The only issue I have is that he wasnt good at reversing the ball, the traditional pakistani trait, that I think, should be part of any pak bowling coach's resume
    More than politics , i think he was unlucky cause he had to compete with Akthar, Wasim,Waqar and Zahid for a spot in the team. If he was playing today he will probably make our starting line-up.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
    More than politics , i think he was unlucky cause he had to compete with Akthar, Wasim,Waqar and Zahid for a spot in the team. If he was playing today he will probably make our starting line-up.
    In one of his interviews, he mentioned how Waqar and Wasim never let him settle. Wasim was the captain, and he would tell akram to bowl short, and set fields acordingly. As a result. akram would get spanked all over the ground.

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    Aug 2008
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar_ahmad View Post
    In one of his interviews, he mentioned how Waqar and Wasim never let him settle. Wasim was the captain, and he would tell akram to bowl short, and set fields acordingly. As a result. akram would get spanked all over the ground.
    Oh didn't know about that but iMO even if there wasn't any politics he still wouldn't have been able to hold a place in the team cause we had Wasim,Waqar, Akthar,Zahid and even Sami was good in the early 2000s

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Texas, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohd Akram was a lot like Sami. Had a problem with his radar. However, he is one of few bowlers from Wasim, Waqar & Aqib's era. This was the time that Pakistani bowlers were extreemly good with reverse swing and yokers. Let's hope he did learn from Wasim and he can bring back the same art in Pakistani team.

Pakistan really needed Wasim, Waqar or Aqib working with Junaid Khan and couple of youngsters to groom them into a world calss bolwers.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    BE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not the Akram we wanted

IIRC he has some proper coaching credentials? Well grats to him and hope he'll be positive addition to the team.

On a side note, I read Akthar made an offer too, imo controversial as a player but probably the best candidate around to inspire the youngsters (limited to cricketing ability ). Also can't deny he's really passionate about his cricket.

-

the Game is bugged

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Would have loved Pont but I hope Akram does well and fits in with the group nicely.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm well now that he's been appointed, I am going to wish him the best of luck.

"I tried to count the stars while in bed. To keep the thoughts of monsters from my head."

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Good to see Pakistan utilizing some of their own resources. Hope Akram co-ordinates well with Fountain and Whatmore

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Finallyy!!!!!

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its good that has been coaching in the UK. Does he have any professional coaching qualifications

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Surprising selection not really expected but now that he has got the job all the best to him.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't know much about how technically proficient he is as a bowling coach do we? What are his qualifications and experience.

Good luck to him, but he's got a lot to prove; until we hear why he was chosen, it seems like a very mediocre choice.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprising selection!

But IMO it's a good thing that a Pakistani bowling coach is chosen because the players are better acquainted with him and will adjust well with him.

Anyways, good luck to Mohammad Akram! Hope he proves to be a worthwhile choice and is able to really improve our indecent pace bowling ATM.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Well whatever at least now there is a bowling coach in there. I hope he does well , do not expect instant results, I hope that Pakistan bowlers improve with new ball because that would be crucial considering two new balls been used.

Fear the Creator ..... not the created.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    When i saw him in 96 i was very impressed. I watched him live at Edgebaston against Warwickshire and he was quick(probably the quickest out of the quartet on show). But what i noticed as his career went on was his poor run up. He seemed to lack rythm in his run up which meant that his bowling also lacked the rythm required to be at top pace.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done!very good decision

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am pretty happy with his appointment

#1 FAN AND DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF SHAHZAIB HASSAN

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Bangkok
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he have that Level 3 coaching thing that every coach needs?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good choice ............ Akram is a very hardworking bowler ..... i still remember him bowling in nets under extreme heat of june and july ...... a true passion for fast cricket ..... hope he will be able to guide our fast bowlers towards hard work and passion ........... he was quick and extremely quick bowler in his days ......... he was a rhythm bowler and it is always very difficult for such bowlers to gain form back quickly ......... he got good bowling mind ..............

Just one request to M Akram ........... please encourage bowlers to bowl fast and furious ....... aqib restricted them to line and length which reduced the speed of gul and others .........

I N S W I N G Y O R K E R

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    Birmingham, warwickshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to PCB have finally appointed! We don't know Akram's coaching ability as he hasn't ever worked taught any teams or Internationals so we cannot judge. He doesn't currently teach bowlers either. Insha'Allah he will be a good choice.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Akram is the same bowler who used to give the batsmen juicy wide deliveries, pathetic move by PCB.. The guy doesn't know a thing about reverse swing either

Anyways, good luck to him

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    , iss se acha shoaib akhtar hee thaa..

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?.????????

Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    , iss se acha shoaib akhtar hee thaa..
    R u sure about this, akthar is crazy

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some doubts about this appointment, but hope he proves me wrong.

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great choice IMO, every time I've seen him in commentary he's been quite knowledgeable about the game and with his international and county level experiance, he will support the new and the senior bowlers.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Good stuff. Best of luck to Akram, let's hope he improves our bowling.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    Rivindelle
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont Know.. whether he is a good selection or not, but hope that he would performs well in his role..

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wanted to see Wasim Akram

But that's just the ****** in me. He migh be a good coach. Who knows.

Debut
    Mar 2006
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm am not hopeful tbh...having said that....it has been quite common for players that haven't been so successful as international players to be successful coaches so....lets hope he's one of them

Debut
    May 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google as pakistan bowling coach n surprise to read that he hasn't appointed yet n more over its a surprising news for pcb media manager as well..!

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The best players don't make the best coaches, you only have to look at soccer

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Akram was part of one our standard 0-3 losing margin test tours to Australia in the 90's. His action was a little similar to michael holding's. Pakistan selected him for the last test at Perth where he picked up 5 wickets. Outbowled Akhtar in that match. Used to generate menacing bounce off a good length. Footage of that performance is on YouTube.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ]
    Last edited by HA123; 20th August 2012 at 05:03.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he will sustain for long as a bowling coach.
    But lets hope that it is a good news for team Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't really know what to make of it. How much coaching experience does Akram have?

Anyway, I am in a way glad that Ian Pont wasn't selected. I was rooting for Pont at one point until I came to know he was part of the whole Atul Sharma fiasco.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2654 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    EID Mubarrak.

He was a goodish fast bowler, probably could touch even 150km occasionally at his peak (when there was no speed gun) with a fantastic Holding like action; but very little in upper chamber.

As a bowling coach, my hunch is, PCB, as usual has picked the worst possible candidate. Don't understand what his FC record has to do with his credential as a bowling coach. Would love to know how he became a better candidate than Pont. 'll be surprised if he can survive a full year.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Chennai, Tamilnadu
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congrats to Md Akram

Baali Soda - INFJ-T

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zaka jus said they hanvt appointed anyone than what us this??

'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    We reported based on what we were told - looks like there is still some confusion.

Lets see how this pans out.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ian pont or Wasim Akram looked better options to me

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good on him but i wouldve opted for somone with more coaching experience and credentials

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Good on him but i wouldve opted for somone with more coaching experience and credentials
    He hasnt been selected it seems. There's been an error somewhere

"I tried to count the stars while in bed. To keep the thoughts of monsters from my head."

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Ian pont or Wasim Akram looked better options to me
    Wasim Akram was never in contention.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mohammad Akram named Pakistan bowling coach for one year - Offical

Former Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Akram has been named Pakistan's bowling coach for a period of one year. He will join the squad in the UAE for the series against Australia, Intikhab Alam, PCB director international announced today.
    More to follow
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan...ry/579223.html

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    So it took the rest of the world 6 days to confirm this after PP ;)
    Last edited by Saj; 25th August 2012 at 00:16.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    So it took the rest of the world 6 days to confirm this afte PP ;)
    Nice sources....

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done PP, great scoop and congrats to M.Akram.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaqib javed
    mohsin kamal
    sarfaraz nawaz

are far better choice then mohammad akram

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feelings2002 View Post
    aaqib javed
    mohsin kamal
    sarfaraz nawaz

are far better choice then mohammad akram
    Javed left the pcb in the first place to coach UAE, what makes you think he will come back

Don't know about kamal so can't comment

Sarfraz is too much of a loose cannon

IMO its a good choice, apperently akram has an ecb coaching certificate, don't know if that's true, maybe some one can confirm the validity

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Mo Akram who from what I remember of him as a pace bowler specialised in no balls, wides, indisciplined bowling, no line and length, and injuries.... Is now going to coach upcoming Pakistani pace bowlers how to overcome these same problems?

Well what you can you expect, after all this is a country where illiterates and fake degree holders end up running the education ministry.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Akram - Jury is out on his international career and he must be given a chance to prove himself at coaching level

However, it is a name that does not fill me with confidence but, bowling is an art-form and I hope he can our team overcome the bowling indiscipline we have had for the past two years

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    why do players think that you have to be a good player to be a good coach, its generally the opposite

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Cheltenham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    That's because the neurons in your brain are actually firing as opposed to the Pak management bro!

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Cheltenham, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    So Mo Akram who from what I remember of him as a pace bowler specialised in no balls, wides, indisciplined bowling, no line and length, and injuries.... Is now going to coach upcoming Pakistani pace bowlers how to overcome these same problems?

Well what you can you expect, after all this is a country where illiterates and fake degree holders end up running the education ministry.
    Bang on the money!!!

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The guy apparently didn't even meet the laid out criteria and they rejected Akhtar for that reason. Talk about double standards

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The guy apparently didn't even meet the laid out criteria and they rejected Akhtar for that reason. Talk about double standards

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Akhtar told by Zaka Ashraf to apply through the correct means for his application to be accepted?

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't he trying to be a commentator few months back?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some time Mediocre players do good job as Coach and good players don't

Don't know much about Mohammad Akram but now as he has been selected lets wait and watch.

Rlaely it desonít mttaer waht I wirte youíll sitll uanrtednsnd it

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol people are basing their analysis on his own cricketing performance..

Good sportsmen don't always make the best coaches, a couple of notable examples are Javed Maindad and Diego Maradona.. Look at Australia they always hire unknown players and professionals as their coaches.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Akhtar might have got injured while coaching. I don't see how a crock can become a bowling coach

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Akhtar told by Zaka Ashraf to apply through the correct means for his application to be accepted?
    I am not propogating for Akhtar to be appointed bowling coach, i am not in favor of it as he should focus on getting some coaching experience at the grass root level. But i am bewildered by the PCB going against its own laid down criteria i.e. must posses a 5 year coaching certificate etc when it chose to appoint Akram. Good luck to him, i hope he does a good job but these people like Inti really need to go its not surprising to see them settling scores with people. I would like to see fresh faces in the PCB for a change instead of the same tried and tested failures like Wasim Bari, Intikhab Alam, Yawar Saeed etc