Instagram

Pakistan vs New Zealand 2014 (UAE)

Sohail Speaks Ponty''s Blog Fountain's Pen

User Tag List

Thread: "I Feared for My Safety" : Minhaz Uddin Khan (Dhaka Gladiators Media Mgr)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

"I Feared for My Safety" : Minhaz Uddin Khan (Dhaka Gladiators Media Mgr)

The following is a press release sent to PakPassion.net by Minhaz Uddin Khan the media manager of the Dhaka Gladiators cricket team and the individual whom IndiaTv alleged had made allegations against several Pakistani cricketers recently.

A recent report broadcast on India TV alleging acts of corruption against some international umpires have caught my attention. Unfortunately the report has a portion where I have been shown to make 'objectionable' observations and remarks naming some Pakistani cricketers.
    Though I have not been implicated in any degree of corruption, the report has made every effort to string together the casual remarks and project that as proof of wrongdoings of the cricketers.
    I had visited India on invitation from the undercover reporters who had portrayed themselves as sports agents who wanted to offer endorsement, umpiring and playing opportunities for Bangladeshi players and officials in the Sri Lankan Premier League. Being a sports journalist myself and as an official of a Bangladesh Premier League team and someone with an interest in sports management, I decided to go to India after consulting some of my family members, colleagues and friends.
    I met the reporters in Delhi in August this year. In one meeting the people who came in the guise of sports agents wanted to get information out of me which had no relevance to the purpose of my visit. I became suspicious straight away but played along and responded spontaneously to their queries as I did not know whether they were criminals or not and I feared for my safety as I was all alone there.
    Once the meeting was over I immediately warned fellow Bangladeshis who have received similar approaches. I told them that I thought those people had dubious intentions and that they should not speak to them. They can testify to that.
    Let me make this clear that the 'information' about the Pakistani cricketers that the Indian private channel is claiming that I had revealed has no relevance to reality. It was all bogus and part of an act which I considered necessary at that moment for ensuring my security.
    I can say this with all honesty to the cricketers and their families that I never meant a word I said in relation to their conduct. I know most of these cricketers personally and maintain a healthy relationship with them. There is no way that these cricketers, some of whom are the heart of Pakistan cricket, can ever do things that tarnish the image of their country and family.
    I am suffering also. By using my name deliberately to strike made up controversy the channel has done massive damage to my image and left my family embarrassed and shocked. I do now know whether I will ever manage to overcome the sadness and shock from this episode. If the reporters had even bothered to study my background a little then I am sure they would not have found it ethically and morally right to try and trap me.
    I seek your understanding on this.
    Last edited by Saj; 13th October 2012 at 15:28.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The following is a press release sent to PakPassion.net by Minhaz Uddin Khan the media manager of the Dhaka Gladiators cricket team and the individual whom IndiaTv alleged had made allegations against several Pakistani cricketers recently.
    I met the reporters in Delhi in August this year. In one meeting the people who came in the guise of sports agents wanted to get information out of me which had no relevance to the purpose of my visit. I became suspicious straight away but played along and responded spontaneously to their queries as I did not know whether they were criminals or not and I feared for my safety as I was all alone there.......

Let me make this clear that the 'information' about the Pakistani cricketers that the Indian private channel is claiming that I had revealed has no relevance to reality. It was all bogus and part of an act which I considered necessary at that moment for ensuring my security.
    No offense but the part I have bolded does not make sense to me- based on current available information.

If he is saying that he was so scared he decided to part with 'information', he must elaborate on the reason for his feeling scared, what happened to make him feel that way. Not to speak of why someone would start accusing a country's national cricketers if scared.

I can even offer a reason- was he, as a foreigner, so scared in India, or people made him so scared, that he felt he had to speak thus of Pakistani cricketers? But, IMVHO, he needs to explain this, because his explanation does not make a lot of sense at this stage.
    Last edited by Cryin Out Loud; 13th October 2012 at 16:01.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have another question- he met the reporters in August by his own statement. This is October. Apart from warning 'fellow Bangladeshis who had received similar approaches', had he spoken to anyone in authority to complain about this incident? The Bangladesh Cricket Board, ICC etc?

It would be logical, no? I am an official, in this case a media manager, I am targeted by someone in a foreign country, I may have spoken some cr@p on video to escape, but then afterwards I would immediately get in touch with the powers that be to complain...BCB, ICC, etc?

Did this happen? If so, we need to bring it out. If not, why the silence?
    Last edited by Cryin Out Loud; 13th October 2012 at 16:03.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    Napier, NZ
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post
    I also have another question- he met the reporters in August by his own statement. This is October. Apart from warning 'fellow Bangladeshis who had received similar approaches', had he spoken to anyone in authority to complain about this incident? The Bangladesh Cricket Board, ICC etc?

It would be logical, no? I am an official, in this case a media manager, I am targeted by someone in a foreign country, I may have spoken some cr@p on video to escape, but then afterwards I would immediately get in touch with the powers that be to complain...BCB, ICC, etc?

Pretty much this.

The reporting to the ACSU to realize the situation is the bit that separates the wheat from the chaff, as they say.

Enzed.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would be proud

slightly of topic but i reckon he would make a great reporter for indiatv

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryin Out Loud View Post

This

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can all criticize the manager's acts, but the fact that he came out with the facts tells me that he has character.

May not be the best step, but not the worst (silence) either!

Nation of heroes!

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a rubbish load fo back tracking to me/ either he meant what he said and he thought it was true, but now its in the open hes concerned of the consequences, or he made things up and sensationalised things for attention. either way, if either of those two scenarios are correct, they would be indicative of an individual with no backbone, integrity, honour or dignity.

his explanation doesnt wash at all with me.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Vancouver
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I became suspicious straight away but played along and responded spontaneously to their queries as I did not know whether they were criminals or not and I feared for my safety as I was all alone there.

I can say this with all honesty to the cricketers and their families that I never meant a word I said in relation to their conduct. I know most of these cricketers personally and maintain a healthy relationship with them. There is no way that these cricketers, some of whom are the heart of Pakistan cricket, can ever do things that tarnish the image of their country and family.
    Sounds like backtracking tbh, and quite frankly doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe he is being pressurized into claiming that his earlier statements were bogus to protect certain cricketers.

Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined - Nas

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by violet_may View Post
    Sounds like backtracking tbh, and quite frankly doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe he is being pressurized into claiming that his earlier statements were bogus to protect certain cricketers.
    agree with this

there is probably some issues regarding this. he probably noticed something fishy and there was a third party who threatened him to not say anything.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^^^or maybe he`s telling the truth and the indians are lying??

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    ^^^or maybe he`s telling the truth and the indians are lying??
    to be honest i do see some sort of conspiracy by the indian media.

The headlines where SL,PAK,BD umpires...not anyone from India. and we all know indian media will try their best to take cheapshots at other countries and this is not new

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    to be honest i do see some sort of conspiracy by the indian media.

The headlines where SL,PAK,BD umpires...not anyone from India. and we all know indian media will try their best to take cheapshots at other countries and this is not new

didnt the same India tv did some sting operation on the Indian IPL cricketers??

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it could be true. He went there thinking they were legit sports agents. His a media manager his job is to build strong relationships with such people to further the brand.

On arriving he got spooked as things did not add up, he assumed they may be gangsters. In order to save his skin he pretended he believed they were still agents and fed them enough bogus info for them to see him as a valuable asset and not harm him.

This sounds pretty reasonable to me. If i was in similar scenario I would not confront them and say your gangsters and criminals, as I would not know how powerful these people are, instead I would make them believe I am still happy to work for them.