Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

'Prince' Naseem Hamed

36 bouts, one loss. Retired at 28. The most unfulfilled boxing career? The guy had one heck of a punch! Loved his style and flamboyance.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Too cocky by half. Another one of those who had a weird hands down swaying style with little regard for defence. I think he came from the same gym as Herol Graham who also had the same approach.

Really talented fighters but I wonder if they'd have been better if they'd had more orthodox styles?

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disagree with the above...Naz's style worked for him...his whole style was built on his reflexes and once those reflexes faded so did he...his reflexes were his defence...

People will judge him by his loss to Barrera but he was at the height of indiscipline then and his reflexes had been deserting him for a while...

Orthodoxy would have possibly given him a longer shelf life but wouldn't necessarily have made him a better fighter in his prime...

Cost of Looting -100m, Cost of Libya War - 200m+, Cost of Bank Bailout - 850BILLION

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i missed his career but from what experts say theres little doubt that his career was fulfilled. it may have ended prematurely, but whilst he was boxing he was a force of nature.

away from the ring by most peoples accounts he was a cocky git, but i do not think you can doubt his integrity and dedication when it came to boxing.

i think there is something to be admired in a guy who so easily walked away from millions in fight money and endorsements when he realised he was not as good as he wanted to be anymore.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Too cocky by half. Another one of those who had a weird hands down swaying style with little regard for defence. I think he came from the same gym as Herol Graham who also had the same approach.

Really talented fighters but I wonder if they'd have been better if they'd had more orthodox styles?
    But he had the power and could take a punch... so defense wasn't exactly critical for him.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naz' defence was unique and it worked for him. Only problem was that it would make him look a bit silly at times and off balance esp in the eyes of the judges - fortunately for him the judges weren't required much.

Anyone who followed his career closely knows what the problem with Naz was - when his family took over managing him, sacking brendan ingle etc, he only went for the KO.

When he was with Brendan, he would still set his opponents up and throw combinations. After brendon he gradually reduced throwing combinations, planted his feet and generally just looked for the one punch KO.

Had he fought Barrera with Ingle in his corner, it would have been a completely different fight.

But I wouldn't say his career was particularly unfulfilled, he made his choice and good luck to him.

On a side not, I have been told by some people who met him personally say that after the Barrera fight and his subsequent lacklustre one fight comeback, he wasn't sure whether boxing was islamically justifiable which is why he stayed away. I don't know if that's true, but a few people have said that.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Yusuf View Post
    Naz' defence was unique and it worked for him. Only problem was that it would make him look a bit silly at times and off balance esp in the eyes of the judges - fortunately for him the judges weren't required much.

Anyone who followed his career closely knows what the problem with Naz was - when his family took over managing him, sacking brendan ingle etc, he only went for the KO.

When he was with Brendan, he would still set his opponents up and throw combinations. After brendon he gradually reduced throwing combinations, planted his feet and generally just looked for the one punch KO.

Had he fought Barrera with Ingle in his corner, it would have been a completely different fight.

But I wouldn't say his career was particularly unfulfilled, he made his choice and good luck to him.

On a side not, I have been told by some people who met him personally say that after the Barrera fight and his subsequent lacklustre one fight comeback, he wasn't sure whether boxing was islamically justifiable which is why he stayed away. I don't know if that's true, but a few people have said that.
    He was "Bloody Good"

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It all went downhill for Nas after the Tom Johnson fight. He didn't train as hard as he used to, became lazy and let the fame and monoey go to his head. And dumping Brendan Ingle was the final nail in the coffin and he was then just surrounded by 'yes men'.

Even against Kelly and McCullough Hamed looked really slow. Shame really as the 1995 version of Hamed was awesome and he had age on his side where he really should have improved - instead he regressed. An incredible entertainer though.

He was very very good but he could have been so much better.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It seems that he went from one extreme to the other then. I thought some of his efforts to wear his religion on his sleeve were quite crass actually. For example when he walked halfway up to the ring with the call to prayer in arabic blasting then all of a sudden the music changes to some hip hop tune.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    England/ Mirpur AJK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He brought something to the game that is stilling missing within British boxing .
    His entrances were legendary and he wasn't a bad fighter its disappointing the way it ended though .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXcgZ84ndk
    BTW why are some White British folk quick to downplay his achievements ?

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanalltheway View Post
    He brought something to the game that is stilling missing within British boxing .
    His entrances were legendary and he wasn't a bad fighter its disappointing the way it ended though .
    Isn't it obvious?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are the same guys that hype up 3 time paper champion Carl Froch as though he is an all time great.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    England/ Mirpur AJK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
    Isn't it obvious?
    No these same guys back Amir Khan so why should it be different with Nas ?
    Unless its because Nas wasn't afraid to show he's Muslim in the post fight interviews .

A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

Malcolm X

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quality fighter and fun to watch, one of the guys that got me into boxing and rated very highly by the pundits. Don't understand the racial comment lol, all of my mates loved Naseem and English experts did too.

Proper awks how fat he is now.

Last edited by James; 23rd December 2012 at 16:17.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No these same guys back Amir Khan so why should it be different with Nas ?
    Unless its because Nas wasn't afraid to show he's Muslim in the post fight interviews .
    Back Amir Khan? I guess you've never been to an Amir Khan fight in the UK. The level of vitriolic hatred towards him by BRITISH fans is a disgrace. Even if you visit most boxing forums around the world with people from various nationalities, yes some people are for and against him, but go to the BBC blogs and the comments are full of hatred and the majority of those people are british.

In fact with Naz you can even argue that he wound people up with his extraordinary self belief which could be seen as arrogance.

With Amir, although he's confident as any boxer is entitled to, there is no other reason for the hatred apart from the obvious.
    Last edited by Sultan Yusuf; 24th December 2012 at 22:15.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mani1 View Post
    He was "Bloody Good"
    That he was without a doubt. And that "bloody good" interview was quality!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back Amir Khan? I guess you've never been to an Amir Khan fight in the UK. The level of vitriolic hatred towards him by BRITISH fans is a disgrace. . . but go to the BBC blogs and the comments are full of hatred and the majority of those people are british.
    vitriolic hatred? come on man, seriously. the only reason amir has more vocal haters is because he is more famous than most other British boxers amongst the non-boxing public.

i just clicked on bbc boxings last article about khan, and tbh can only see a small handful of negative comments that could be racial motivated.

for every non-desi hater, there is some desi biggin up amir because he happens to be pakistani or muslim. it goes both ways.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The kinds of people who frequent BBC forums and columns are total mongs though, some of the opinions and comments take thick to new levels

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    vitriolic hatred? come on man, seriously. the only reason amir has more vocal haters is because he is more famous than most other British boxers amongst the non-boxing public.

i just clicked on bbc boxings last article about khan, and tbh can only see a small handful of negative comments that could be racial motivated.

for every non-desi hater, there is some desi biggin up amir because he happens to be pakistani or muslim. it goes both ways.
    Have u been to an amir khan fight?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post

How is that the same as racist abuse I have not seen any racist abuse regarding Audley Harrison or Derick Chisora.

How come "Glass jawed" Kevin Mitchell doesn't get any abuse or Kell I'll do Pacquio even though he hasn't beaten any one of note and has had almost 30 fights.

Carl Froch the vacant title King who openly states he wishes he was in the same era as Duran, Hagler, Hearns etc because he would batter them.

Yet needed a gift to get passed 15 fight novice Dirrell.

Yet is hailed as an ATG even though realistically he is a paper champion.

Andre Ward is the Champion.

In fact regarding Hamed only Lennox Lewis or Calzaghe could possibly rate higher than him in recent years.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    He has been like that for a long time now, daily mail running out of stories or something, probably just posting such pics when they got no dirt on this happy couple.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mani1 View Post
    How is that the same as racist abuse I have not seen any racist abuse regarding Audley Harrison or Derick Chisora.

How come "Glass jawed" Kevin Mitchell doesn't get any abuse or Kell I'll do Pacquio even though he hasn't beaten any one of note and has had almost 30 fights.

Carl Froch the vacant title King who openly states he wishes he was in the same era as Duran, Hagler, Hearns etc because he would batter them.

Yet needed a gift to get passed 15 fight novice Dirrell.

Yet is hailed as an ATG even though realistically he is a paper champion.

Andre Ward is the Champion.

In fact regarding Hamed only Lennox Lewis or Calzaghe could possibly rate higher than him in recent years.
    Agreed, but I have him as the best fighter to come out of Britain. It's just a shame he fell out of love with the sport towards the end of his career and he barely trained. But when it comes to pioneers of the sport he'd have to be up there for his showmanship and exciting style, he did so much to generate interest in the sport not just in Britain but around the world. Many guys cite Hamed as their inspiration including the likes of Paulie and Froch himself. Anyhow many guys stay in the sport a bit too long and it gets to a point where their health is severely effected in the long run, sure he's enjoying his food a bit too much now but it could have been worse.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Also @Those cussing Hamed and his love for Food, he is a prince for a reason got to live like one aha

Hamed and his wife after he received an MBE from the Queen:

Who did they get their fashion tips from and did Hamed borrow his dads suit or something lmao Am glad they are still together after all these years; with the amount of money he has some other chick would have screwed him over by now. Usually what happens these days.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was a big fan of his before he even had a televised bout. I'd seen him at a few shows that a friend boxed on too.

However, he made some derogatory comments regarding Pakistanis in the mid-90's and after that I found it hard to root for him.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miandadrules View Post
    I was a big fan of his before he even had a televised bout. I'd seen him at a few shows that a friend boxed on too.

However, he made some derogatory comments regarding Pakistanis in the mid-90's and after that I found it hard to root for him.
    He also never wrote back to Amir Khan Anyhow first time am hearing about these comments Nas may have made, it seems kinda out of character of him to do so tbh but if he did I doubt there was any malice behind them, It's kinda like when you drop an N bomb on your best mate like "let's go to fat burger ma Nikkah" etc etc Lets assume he meant what he said at that time, surely as he grew older must have mellowed down.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    He also never wrote back to Amir Khan Anyhow first time am hearing about these comments Nas may have made, it seems kinda out of character of him to do so tbh but if he did I doubt there was any malice behind them, It's kinda like when you drop an N bomb on your best mate like "let's go to fat burger ma Nikkah" etc etc Lets assume he meant what he said at that time, surely as he grew older must have mellowed down.
    He said he didn't want to be associated with Pakistanis. Something a long the lines that Pakistanis talk with an accent whereas he sounds like a "normal kid from Yorkshire".

It was in Boxing monthly.

He was very keen to emphasise that he was an Arab and far from anything Pakistani.
    Last edited by miandadrules; 15th September 2015 at 01:57.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    He said he didn't want to be associated with Pakistanis. Something a long the lines that Pakistanis talk with an accent whereas he sounds like a "normal kid from Yorkshire".

It was in Boxing monthly.

He was very keen to emphasise that he was an Arab and far from anything Pakistani.
    To an extent that is understandable bro, growing up 99% of people around me thought he was Pakistani. Majority of his fan-base was Pakistanis as well imo when it comes to the ethnic minorities if not overall.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    To an extent that is understandable bro, growing up 99% of people around me thought he was Pakistani. Majority of his fan-base was Pakistanis as well imo when it comes to the ethnic minorities if not overall.
    This is my point.

His initial elevation in public awareness was largely due to the British Pakistani community, who they saw as their "Muslim brother". For him to be so derisive towards the community which showed him such love was poor.

There were other incidents and rumours at that time but there was no way of verifying any of it. I was very young at the time and a massive boxing fan. I remember telling everyone to watch his television debut when he won the European title. And I used to constantly defend him after every faux pas but eventually I just came to the realisation that I had lost any affinity I had for him.

I've crossed paths with him a few times over the years and even though he was cordial, he's not someone I'd choose to spend much time with.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    This is my point.

His initial elevation in public awareness was largely due to the British Pakistani community, who they saw as their "Muslim brother". For him to be so derisive towards the community which showed him such love was poor.

There were other incidents and rumours at that time but there was no way of verifying any of it. I was very young at the time and a massive boxing fan. I remember telling everyone to watch his television debut when he won the European title. And I used to constantly defend him after every faux pas but eventually I just came to the realisation that I had lost any affinity I had for him.

I've crossed paths with him a few times over the years and even though he was cordial, he's not someone I'd choose to spend much time with.
    That's true as well and I was just about to make that point, he got so much love from the Brit Pakistani Community but if you're constantly identified as a Pakistani you ought to feel the need to emphasise who you really are. I probably wouldn't have much in common with him myself given how extroverted he is when it comes to drinking, clubbing etc that's not my thing but he seems like a really chilled out guy last few years and during interviews he always points out how his behaviour during his boxing career was all a part of his gimmick to promote the fight and how there was never any malice behind what he did or said.

Do you reckon he has a bit of serious dislike for Pakistanis? if so, has he changed now? Watching his interviews in the last decade he comes across as genuine and quiet likeable.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's true as well and I was just about to make that point, he got so much love from the Brit Pakistani Community but if you're constantly identified as a Pakistani you ought to feel the need to emphasise who you really are. I probably wouldn't have much in common with him myself given how extroverted he is when it comes to drinking, clubbing etc that's not my thing but he seems like a really chilled out guy last few years and during interviews he always points out how his behaviour during his boxing career was all a part of his gimmick to promote the fight and how there was never any malice behind what he did or said.

Do you reckon he has a bit of serious dislike for Pakistanis? if so, has he changed now? Watching his interviews in the last decade he comes across as genuine and quiet likeable.
    I have no idea.

I think in his younger days he may have done because I feel he may have got some grief of Pakistani lads growing up.

He cuts a lonely figure now. I don't think he has any close friends around, as he alienated a lot of those close to him.

He has never drunk in front of me nor have I heard he does.

Chilled out guys don't hit and run though.
    Last edited by miandadrules; 15th September 2015 at 02:59.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I have no idea.

I think in his younger days he may have done because I feel he may have got some grief of Pakistani lads growing up.

He cuts a lonely figure now. I don't think he has any close friends around, as he alienated a lot of those close to him.

He has never drunk in front of me nor have I heard he does.

Chilled out guys don't hit and run though.
    That's a mistake he made but generally he comes across as pretty chilled out, I can't really say much when it comes to issues he might have. His wife is still with him so family life can't be too bad, am surprised she is still with him knowing that girls tend to leave their celeb half eventually. Don't know if he has alienated people close to him but it's believable when it comes to certain folk that are wealthy.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's a mistake he made but generally he comes across as pretty chilled out, I can't really say much when it comes to issues he might have. His wife is still with him so family life can't be too bad, am surprised she is still with him knowing that girls tend to leave their celeb half eventually. Don't know if he has alienated people close to him but it's believable when it comes to certain folk that are wealthy.
    She is a hairdresser who married a millionaire. She won't be going anywhere soon.

A mistake that destroyed a man's life.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    She is a hairdresser who married a millionaire. She won't be going anywhere soon.

A mistake that destroyed a man's life.
    She could have screwed him over and taken some of his wealth via divorce or something. He only lost the MBE because of that and his reputation was damaged but not so much to put off his boxing fans, what else happened that ruined his life?

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    She could have screwed him over and taken some of his wealth via divorce or something. He only lost the MBE because of that and his reputation was damaged but not so much to put off his boxing fans, what else happened that ruined his life?
    UK divorce laws aren't like USA ones.

I'm not talking about Naz's life, I'm talking about the guy he hit and left for dead.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    UK divorce laws aren't like USA ones.

I'm not talking about Naz's life, I'm talking about the guy he hit and left for dead.
    Am not familiar with them, to what extent could his wife screw him if she decided to if they divorced?

He's probably loving it, got his million pounds I heard. Although that's nothing if he lost a limb or two

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Am not familiar with them, to what extent could his wife screw him if she decided to if they divorced?

He's probably loving it, got his million pounds I heard. Although that's nothing if he lost a limb or two
    Not an expert on UK divorce laws but I think she has to prove that she helped earn the money she wants. Basically if a couple get married and have nothing and together build a fortune than she is entitled to half or more. If you marry a millionaire, then you're not entitled to much. But I could be wrong. Having kids involved would make things more complicated.

I think it was reported that the victim fractured every major bone in his body in the accident.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Not an expert on UK divorce laws but I think she has to prove that she helped earn the money she wants. Basically if a couple get married and have nothing and together build a fortune than she is entitled to half or more. If you marry a millionaire, then you're not entitled to much. But I could be wrong. Having kids involved would make things more complicated.

I think it was reported that the victim fractured every major bone in his body in the accident.
    With the Kids they probably tend to get more but that would depend on custody I assume. That's messed up, hopefully he can still walk and stuff.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    With the Kids they probably tend to get more but that would depend on custody I assume. That's messed up, hopefully he can still walk and stuff.
    I think he tried taking revenge on the Hamed family.

Better luck next time

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Still remember the Hamed v Kevin kelley fight from all those years ago, one of the best fights ive ever seen still to this day, its a shame his career ended like it is, he was majorly unfit for the Barrera fight and even admitted himself he would have pulled out of the fight if it wasnt for the huge amounts of money he was getting for the fight.