Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American Accent- How to imitate one?

How to imitate a standard American accent if you are not living in the USA.

How many hours should one devote per day?

Any tips/tricks or suggestions/resources.

Regards,

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Watch Hollywood movies man

Quote Originally Posted by La Haine movie
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien. L'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    over-stress on the Rs.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saqib S View Post
    Watch Hollywood movies man
    I am sure people do watch them but don't you think some deliberate exercise is also required.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    over-stress on the Rs.
    Ok. I believe that is not a feature of a British accent. I also notice Americans pronounce Ts as ds. Better as bedder...water wadder...international as innernational .... them as 'em etc

I still believe I need to get intonation down. Such stuff is not enough per se.

Should I copy a particular hollywoord actor's accent? For example, buy dvds of a particluar actor...watch all movies along with subtitles and then copy his pronunciation/style out loud many times?

or do you think I should forget about it unless or until I spend years after years in the USA itself?

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you want an American accent?

Surely if you have hours to devote you are better off learning another language

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Ahmed View Post
    Why do you want an American accent?

Surely if you have hours to devote you are better off learning another language
    Lots of call center jobs in Pakistan which have to deal with clients from North America. The pre-requisite of having such a job is being fluent in the language with a pleasant accent. Hollywood movies are dirt cheap in Pakistan and coupled with cable channels so was my inclination towards it.

I have traveled to other countries quite a bit. I'd say that apart from English learning another language is a total waste of time and money since English is used as a lingua franca all over the world. That's not going to be changed any time sooner.

I do not have many hours but can definitely squeeze in a couple of hours for devoting to either imitating an accent or probably learning a new exotic language. I was particularly interested in the former.
    Last edited by rockers2012; 17th December 2012 at 17:35.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockers2012 View Post
    Ok. I believe that is not a feature of a British accent. I also notice Americans pronounce Ts as ds. Better as bedder...water wadder...international as innernational .... them as 'em etc

I still believe I need to get intonation down. Such stuff is not enough per se.

Should I copy a particular hollywoord actor's accent? For example, buy dvds of a particluar actor...watch all movies along with subtitles and then copy his pronunciation/style out loud many times?

or do you think I should forget about it unless or until I spend years after years in the USA itself?
    Yeap

If you want an African American accent listen to a whole lot of Hip Hop. Don't copy their vocabulary though.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saqib S View Post
    Yeap

If you want an African American accent listen to a whole lot of Hip Hop. Don't copy their vocabulary though.
    That's Ebonics, total different dialect altogther.

There is not much vocabulary to learn in the first place.

Their vocab starts from

1. Mother

and ends in

2. ****er

lol
    Last edited by DHONI183; 19th December 2012 at 08:09. Reason: Four letter word replaced with asterisks

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    St James' Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of call center jobs in Pakistan which have to deal with clients from North America. The pre-requisite of having such a job is being fluent in the language with a pleasant accent. Hollywood movies are dirt cheap in Pakistan and coupled with cable channels so was my inclination towards it.

I have traveled to other countries quite a bit. I'd say that apart from English learning another language is a total waste of time and money since English is used as a lingua franca all over the world. That's not going to be changed any time sooner.

I do not have many hours but can definitely squeeze in a couple of hours for devoting to either imitating an accent or probably learning a new exotic language. I was particularly interested in the former.
    Fair enough BUT I have found in my limited experience that those from the sub-continent that try to adopt an American/British accent just end up sounding well weird, yes moreso than their regular accent

Though the Pakistani-English accent imo is a lot better than the Indian/Bengali/Chinese-English accent

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    start using cursing words a lot
    Last edited by HaMmy FinE LeG StriKeR; 17th December 2012 at 19:52.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    England/ Mirpur AJK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistanis with American accents sound so funny lol
    No offence intended

A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

Malcolm X

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanalltheway View Post
    No offence intended
    Pakistanis with thick asian accent will sound more comedians ....lol

Imagine Americans speaking Urdu.....that sort of thing.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    DEVILs BASEMENT
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends on whatcha talkin' bout......you know.....we have many different akcents heer...you know

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    England/ Mirpur AJK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalSami View Post
    it depends on whatcha talkin' bout......you know.....we have many different akcents heer...you know
    NY accent is the best
    It reminds me of the mafia

A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything.

Malcolm X

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have an American accent. Have been to USA a few times. Maybe I picked it up going there & having conversations with random people (airport, stores, etc). And I have a lot off international friends here in Norway, where a couple of them also have an American accent, so I guess I maintain it that way.

I don't think you can realle devout time & learn it properly without actually living there for some time.

I still have some flaws that is typical for Norwegians. Best of luck

Pakistan Zindabad!

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anakwalajinn View Post
    I have an American accent. Have been to USA a few times. Maybe I picked it up going there & having conversations with random people (airport, stores, etc). And I have a lot off international friends here in Norway, where a couple of them also have an American accent, so I guess I maintain it that way.

I don't think you can realle devout time & learn it properly without actually living there for some time.

I read that Dutch and Scandinavians speak English so well because they start to watch original English movies at a tender age.
    Thats's probably the main reason you have picked up on the American accent without knowing it. I do not think so one can pick up the accent just by talking to foreigners for a few hours such as having a casual convo at malls and stores etc.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    over-stress on the Rs.
    Not the Italian / Spanish way though

Rrrrrrricarrthough mai frrraynd .

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's Ebonics, total different dialect altogther.

There is not much vocabulary to learn in the first place.

Their vocab starts from

1. Mother

and ends in

2. ****er

lol
    Last edited by DHONI183; 19th December 2012 at 08:10. Reason: Quoted post edited

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    DEVILs BASEMENT
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanalltheway View Post
    NY accent is the best
    It reminds me of the mafia
    dis ain't what i'm talkin' bout bra...

dat's how v talk in da south 2

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looney View Post
    Nope. That's not racist. African Americans are equally educated and talented. Obama, Condeeleza Rice and the list goes on.

I meant, that's how they were projected in the Hollywood movies.

As thugs, homeless and illeterate etc...speaking swear words etc

You should not see "sense of humor" under the umberalla of "Racism".

There you have it.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Karachi for life!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been in the US a lot lately so sometimes start using american pronunciation of words subconsciously but why would anyone waant to have an american accent purposely is beyond me. nothing 'sexy' about it honestly. I love the aussie accent though

I usually speak with Pakistani accent with Pakistani pronunciations and intend to do that for the rest of my life. some people are beyond me really with a ll their fake americanism and whatnot. I know a few people who went to US for uni and when they came back for hols a few months later, they had 'more American' accents than Americans themselves

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask SwingNSeam, he has an American accent

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPrince View Post
    Ive been in the US a lot lately so sometimes start using american pronunciation of words subconsciously but why would anyone waant to have an american accent purposely is beyond me. nothing 'sexy' about it honestly. I love the aussie accent though

I usually speak with Pakistani accent with Pakistani pronunciations and intend to do that for the rest of my life. some people are beyond me really with a ll their fake americanism and whatnot. I know a few people who went to US for uni and when they came back for hols a few months later, they had 'more American' accents than Americans themselves
    First of all, Americans are not exposed to a variety of accents from around the world so they might have a hard time understanding that is non-American. So if you are catering to the needs of American based clients then American accent is prefered by the employer. In addition to this, you can find a plethora of resources on the American English since Hollywood is in America. That's one more reason and probably imitating an American accent is a bit easier since they pronounce their Rs etc

Being fake or not is all in your head. Language is just a tool for having a smooth communication.
    For you, it imight be fake to speak a langauge with the American accent but it is not fake to watch English movies , eat burgers and drink cokes, dress like them etc....Come on....these days American culture has taken all over the world even our lovely country Pakistan.

It is a free world and everyone can like anything just like you do. You love an aussie accent, good for you. If I were try to emulate a particular aussie accent it would be doubly hard for me to find out decent resources for free. That's my reason of not doing it.

It is broad or narrow thinking that determines your success as well. Some never learn a word of their host's language even after living there for years and some have gone to a greath length in order to learn it so that they can climb the ladder and never wash cars or sell cookies all their lives. Different strokes for different folks.

I have no issues with it if you detest or don't like American accents.
    Last edited by rockers2012; 19th December 2012 at 09:22.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I read that Dutch and Scandinavians speak English so well because they start to watch original English movies at a tender age.
    Thats's probably the main reason you have picked up on the American accent without knowing it. I do not think so one can pick up the accent just by talking to foreigners for a few hours such as having a casual convo at malls and stores etc.
    The part about movies & serials is true, however I would say that my English is good mostly because of my exposure by speaking a lot of English as well as listening to it.

Most ethnic Norwegians listen, but don't talk that much English, hence they have a very bad pronounciation and vocabulary.

My English is very different from a random person in Norway.

Pakistan Zindabad!

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    Down To Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The part about movies & serials is true, however I would say that my English is good mostly because of my exposure by speaking a lot of English as well as listening to it.

Most ethnic Norwegians listen, but don't talk that much English, hence they have a very bad pronounciation and vocabulary.

My English is very different from a random person in Norway.
    I agree.

People here are generally very poor in English.

I myself started to watch movies and serials without subtitles and spoke English with cousins, uncles etc regulary.

People here tend to listen, but not speak.

And many dont really listen either as they instead read the translated norwegian subtitles.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Durban, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=pakistanalltheway;5375587]Pakistanis with American accents sound so funny lol

Real burgers..(if u know what i mean)

especially when you stay in defence (like me when i go to karachi) ull find lots of them..they pretend they cant speak urdu....especialyy when they find out ke aap 'bahar se ay hain"

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Durban, South Africa
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPrince View Post

:rofl

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I don't think you can learn unless you surround yourself with people who talk like that. Plus, which one would you like? Back home, we've got all sorts, the Southern accent, New Yorker, Californian. It varies from region to region, like I'm from Illinois and sound nothing like my family in Georgia or Texas. You'd better pick ONE though, and work on it, or you'll sound completely out of place.

Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket-o-Saurus View Post

Real burgers..(if u know what i mean)

especially when you stay in defence (like me when i go to karachi) ull find lots of them..they pretend they cant speak urdu....especialyy when they find out ke aap 'bahar se ay hain"
    Tell me about it. Once these kids from my school's branches in Defence and Clifton, plus a few other City School kids visited the us, the less fortunate ones, and acted like they couldn't understand a word in Urdu. Best thing is to go start talking to them in English "agar aap bahar se aai hain". They just couldn't keep up, it was hilarious!

Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Re: American Accent- How to imitate one?

Still one of the strangest threads going around.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting a chocolate will do the trick for accent. AND look as if you dont care.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    American :twinkle twinkle little star how I wonder what you are.
    Punjabi :teenda teenda aam da achar
    Khao roti Tey maaro dakar.

sent from dil se

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Re: American Accent- How to imitate one?

This is such a strange thread.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Boston MA (from Sydney Aus)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How to imitate a standard American accent if you are not living in the USA.

How many hours should one devote per day?

Any tips/tricks or suggestions/resources.

Regards,
    Just keep watching TV and repeat what they say.