Instagram

Pakistan vs Australia 2014 (UAE)

Sohail Speaks Ponty''s Blog Fountain's Pen

User Tag List

Thread: Umar Gul- One of Pakistan's most undervalued cricketers.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umar Gul- One of Pakistan's most undervalued cricketers.

There have been many cricketers that have never gotten the respect that they deserve from the fans, Umar Gul is one of them.

Gul made his international debut in 2003 against Zimbabwe in and ODI, at the age of 18. He was in and out of the Pakistani side till 2007, he showed what he was capable of when he demolished the Star studded Indian top order in Lahore in 2004.
    It was his performances in the inaugural T20 WC and the T20 WC in 2009, which brought him to the limelight. Pakistan reached the final of the Inaugural T20, but they lost the final although Gul was very good throughout the tournament. The next T20 world cup was won by Pakistan and it would be fair to say that they would not have been able to accomplish that without Gul, he was outstanding throughout the tournament making full use of reverse swing, bowling Yorkers consistently at the death overs and also taking wickets while being economical, during that WC he took 5 wickets giving away only 6 runs in a high pressure match against New Zealand thus becoming the first player to take 5 wickets in a T20i match.

These performances resulted in Gul being acknowledged across the entire cricketing world. 2009 was a great year for Gul not only did he help Pakistan win the World Cup he also provided support to the new ball pair of Asif and Amir. 2010 proved to be a year that would effect Guls performances for the next couple of years, the spot fixing scandal resulted in Amir and Asif being banned and suddenly all the burden of carrying the attack in T20s, ODIs and Tests was put on the shoulders of Gul.
    Gul did not complain of being given this responsibility, he opened the bowling in this period with many different partners, including Akhtar, Razzaq, Tanvir, Hafeez and Tanvir Ahmed. Sometimes he was not given the new ball and was asked to take the old ball. In these 2 years it seemed that the management had given Gul the responsibility of leading the attack but the leader of the attack did not even know what his role was in the team, but Gul did not complain he was never the bowler they wanted him to be but he did his best without criticizing anyone even though his performance declined and he was dropped from the team he still did not complain.

The Decline in his performances resulted in huge criticism from the fans and critics, but Gul never complained and continued to do whatever was asked form him, he did the job that he couldn't have ever done only because Pakistan Cricket was facing a crisis and he himself knew that and his patience will pay off one day.

Gul's patience paid with the emergence of Junaid and Irfan, two excellent new ball bowlers,
    In the India series Irfan and Junaid opened the bowling and Gul was given the Old Ball even though he only managed 3 Wickets in 3 Matches his overall economy was under 5 and he did a decent job as the 3rd Seamer as the wickets were already taken by Junaid and Irfan, he even managed to take 2 very important wickets of Sehwag and Yuvraj when India were chasing a target of 275 and also kept things very tight his contribution were very handy as Pakistan won that match, in the 2nd T20i Match when Irfan and Junaid opened the bowling, Gul picked up 5 wickets giving away only 6 runs.

But after the India series Irfan and Junaid were not able to play 1 single Test Match together because of Irfan not being played in the only Test Junaid played due to his injure, Gul was asked to open the bowling in 2 Tests and his performance was not very good, although it should not be forgotten that Smith and Devilliers were dropped of Gul's bowling. In the 1st ODI Irfan was again not played and Gul was asked to open the bowling he started well but couldn't pick up a wicket and was taken for some runs in his next spell, he played the Next ODI and this time he was given the old ball as both Irfan and Junaid were playing but he was only given 5 overs.

One thing seems to be certain after the SA series and that is that Gul will not have to open the bowling in the coming years as Junaid and Irfan have established themselves as the opening bowlers, this will allow Gul to take back his old 3rd seamer role and hopefully he will not disappoint.
    No matter what the future holds for him Gul’s efforts in the past Couple of years cannot be ignored he did what was asked for him served Pakistan always gave his 100% and was not involved in any controversy, and also his contribution in the 2009 WC can not be ignored, that WC following the attack on the Srilankan team was very important to the entire nation.
    Last edited by ahmed778; 11th April 2013 at 08:01.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if he does not swing the bowl ,pace is useless,but he has performed on some important occasions.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    at ma crib
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respect to him for leading the attack with whatever little success he got after 2010 because that was a crisis situation.. But now as the things have settled down a bit, He is not the best option Pakistan has especially in the 2 longer formats of the game.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But now it wouldn't be fair to drop him when we have found a 2 good new Fast Bowlers, he at least needs to be given some more time to perform as the 3rd Seamer.
    If he doesn't than drop him but it wouldn't be fair to drop him after things have settled a bit.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "2010 proved to be a year that would effect Guls performances for the next couple of years, the spot fixing scandal resulted in Amir and Asif being banned and suddenly all the burden of carrying the attack in T20s, ODIs and Tests was put on the shoulders of Gul."
    LOL! You can only control your own performances.He is a professional cricketer not a baby.This is expected of him.In fact, he should have been leading the attack whem Aamir and Asif were playing.I can say Rao was an undervalued cricketer as he was one of our best ODI bowlers during 2003-2007.He always ran hard for the team.His consistent performances got unnoticed due to his other flamboyant team mates. Gul should just be happy having a place in the team.

Nasir Jamshed- best ODI and T20 batsman

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he is still the best bowler in pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    "2010 proved to be a year that would effect Guls performances for the next couple of years, the spot fixing scandal resulted in Amir and Asif being banned and suddenly all the burden of carrying the attack in T20s, ODIs and Tests was put on the shoulders of Gul."
    LOL! You can only control your own performances.He is a professional cricketer not a baby.This is expected of him.In fact, he should have been leading the attack whem Aamir and Asif were playing.I can say Rao was an undervalued cricketer as he was one of our best ODI bowlers during 2003-2007.He always ran hard for the team.His consistent performances got unnoticed due to his other flamboyant team mates. Gul should just be happy having a place in the team.
    Whatever you say, you are just a blind hater supporting a certain who loves giving away 100 runs in 10 overs, surely Gul can't do better, right?

'I fear the day when technology will surpass human interaction'
    - Albert Einstein

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    at ma crib
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed778 View Post
    But now it wouldn't be fair to drop him when we have found a 2 good new Fast Bowlers, he at least needs to be given some more time to perform as the 3rd Seamer.
    If he doesn't than drop him but it wouldn't be fair to drop him after things have settled a bit.
    If he doesnt play in CT due to injury and his replacement (asad ali, ehsan adil etc) perform well then gul is goner. He will be selected again but it would take one bad series for him to be replaced permanantly.. All the best to him..

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    at ma crib
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
    not anymore.. Junaid has performed better than any other fast bowler recently..

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But Gul is certainly better than Wahab Riaz.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    at ma crib
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^there are better bowlers in Pakistan than both gul and wahab.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP SPINNER View Post
    But Gul is certainly better than Wahab Riaz.
    Yes, he doesn't like giving away 100 runs in 10 overs like a certain , who by pure co-incidence, is loved by alberto.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gul is not even the best bowler in domestic cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Gul is not even the best bowler in domestic cricket.
    Still better than your favourite

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asad Ali is miles better bowler than Ehsan Aadil.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    not anymore.. Junaid has performed better than any other fast bowler recently..
    yes, "recently". gul's been around for almost a decade just getting on with his job. he's won countless matches for pakistan and will continue to do so in the future

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wahab should be 3rd seamer as he is contributuing with the bat and we have a weak top 6.We can't have our tail collapsing. Wahab is more of a wicket taking threat than Gul.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah I wouldn't call him that. Ajmal is the best bowler in Pak. If you're talking about fast bowlers then Junaid is the best fast bowler in the country by a mile.
    Having said that though, Gul is probably the best option for the 3rd pacer slot in LO cricket. I'm not sure about him in tests because he has a bowling average of 34 in that format. Still he looked our only decent pacer vs England in the UAE. I think with a little hard work he can improve his test performances too
    Bowls good yorkers in the death and gets reverse swing. (Ideal for 3rd pacer)
    Honest bowler who gives his 100% for the team.
    One thing he needs to improve on is consistency.
    One day he'll be lethal getting the ball to swing and the next day he'll be bowling rubbish.

Oh and he's miles better than Wahab the scattergun

"I'm jealous of my parents. I'll never have a kid as cool as theirs"-Chris Gayle

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yes, "recently". gul's been around for almost a decade just getting on with his job. he's won countless matches for pakistan and will continue to do so in the future
    I can count his good performances on my fingers after 10 years.That is simply not good enough!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP SPINNER View Post
    Asad Ali is miles better bowler than Ehsan Aadil.
    no he isn't, ehsan adil is a special talent. asad ali is just like rana but without the conventional swing

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wahab should be 3rd seamer as he is contributuing with the bat and we have a weak top 6.We can't have our tail collapsing. Wahab is more of a wicket taking threat than Gul.
    Yeah, giving away 100 runs in 10 overs, being a total spraygun is a better wicket taking threat than Gul . Plus bowling is his main job, he is not a proper batsman either. If your top 7 batsmen can't do anything, don't expect the bottom 4 to do it with the bat either.
    Last edited by HamzaSaeen; 11th April 2013 at 08:33.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can count his good performances on my fingers after 10 years.That is simply not good enough!
    i wouldn't want to guess how many limbs you have, you could be special too

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    at ma crib
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what? Being around for 10 years doesn't make him the best bowler in Pakistan "currently" .

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no he isn't, ehsan adil is a special talent. asad ali is just like rana but without the conventional swing
    how is he special?
    Last edited by Top Spinner; 11th April 2013 at 08:35.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    So what? Being around for 10 years doesn't make him the best bowler in Pakistan "currently" .
    what's your definition of "currently"? the last match? or at least a year?

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    At least you can count the number of good performances for Gul on your fingers, can you count even one good performance by a certain even after getting so many chances, barring that 5-wicket haul against India?

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Was a big fan of Gul but of late in test & ODI cricket he hasn't been threatening at all. His averages also reflect that and I can't believe people are calling Gul the best bowler in Pakistan. He's a decent bowler and I believe he's underrated by many and he's overrated by many. He's just a good decent bowler.

I think its time to give Gul a break for a few series and let him go back to domestic cricket and see if he regains his form. If not then it should be over for him and rightly so as Pakistan have sound some good quick young pacers. I think Ehsan Adil would be the man to fill the 3rd seamer role with Irfan & Junaid as the opening bowlers.

Shehzad, Jamshed, Haris, Fawad, U.Akmal & Maqsood - our future top 6 In Sha Allah.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    at ma crib
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what's your definition of "currently"? the last match? or at least a year?
    in last 2 years gul has played 13 tests with 38 wickets at 34.52 which is slightly worse than his career avg. of 34.06. He has played 28 ODIs in last 2 years with 28 wickets and an avg. of over 38.

Junaid has played 9 tests over the same period of time with 29 wickets at an Avg. of 28.17 and he is relatively a new player. In ODIs junaid has played 21 matches in last 2 years with 32 wickets at an avg. of 24.12 ..

Its clear who is ahead atm.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think both Umars are undervalued cricketers in Pakistan. Umar Akmal, even with limited brains, should be the first player in the pakistani ODI/Tests/T20 lineup, bcoz only he looks international class batsman in pakistani batting lineup.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have alwys liked gul , but he was never a test bowler and the 2 new ball rules has killed him off in odis. Strictly a t20 bowler now. Still better than spray gun riaz though

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was never an outstanding test bowler.
    and perhaps a little too polite for me.
    Even sami - with his 50 average - knows to glare
    needs to find his test mojo soon.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL , it was overdue. I still persist that hafeez , umar gul and sarfaraz ahmed are zero value to our test team. Lately , umar gul has been zero value to ODI team as well. If anything umar gul has been overrated and overvalued by the fans.

Privatize PCB

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hard working, honest, dedicated , honourable and a player with the highest integrity. I wish we had more like him and when he retires he will be remembered for a very long time. Already a legend after 2009. Ill never forget the overated laxmans face when his stumps went flying in lahore in 2004. "yes im a pakistani fast bowler biatch now back to the pavilion lol."

but some fans' brains are in their knees and will never appreciate the work this man has done for our cricket!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honesty , integrity and hardwork. Still mediocre at best.

His time is over anyway with the emergence of junaid , irfan and adil. Hopefully we dont see him in whites and greens again.

Privatize PCB

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replace Gul with Ehsan Adil?
    Are you joking?
    The guy couldn't even bowl 13 overs without getting injured and nor was his run up right.

Gul may not be the best bowler or pacer in Pakistan but the amount of criticism he gets is pathetic.
    He was there when Pakistan cricket was at an all time low, he didn't give up nor did he quit there, he could have just quit Test Cricket but he stayed with the team and now that we have found two decent bowlers we can not forget what Gul has done for Pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has been just decent

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Michigan, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Always been a fan of the Gulldozer. But I have to admit after the emergence of Junaid Khan I prefer him more right now.

Gull was always a decent bowler at best. And I believe if he got the right support early on his career he would have been able to achieve more.

I still believe Gull has it in him to change the views of people. And all it would take is one good performance and he'll be back.

Since 2011 World Cup I haven't really seen a good Gull performance. But hopefully Wasim Akram can help him and bring him back as a great bowler for Pakistan.

His Yorkers are just unplayable. I want to see more of those Again. So come on Gully show your stuff. Bring back your Vicious Yorkers! And Show people why your the leader of the pack.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bowler who always got on with things, no dramas or tantrums - he just bowled His career performances though have been up and down tho and he has never really became the quality bowler he shouldve been

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gul is one of those bowlers who could take multiple wickets in single bursts and win the match for Pakistan or he could end up achieving nothing in a whole series other than sending a few dozen deliveries down the pitch.

The fact that he performs so extraordinarily in enough matches creates an expectation from him to do a decent job every time. Thats an expectation he cannot live upto.

Also Test cricket is not for him. If he only played limited overs cricket he would face a lot less criticism.

[]Wazeeri aka Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Wazeeri[/]

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favourite memories of Gul are from the famous match against India.

My dad woke up in the morning and came down to the living room to see me all excited watching the India vs Pakistan test match. He saw Gul bowl and said "this new kid is no good, he won't take a single wicket". As soon as he said that the scorecard came up with Gul's name all over the 2nd column.

He doesn't look special but he gets results and for that he deserves a lot of credit.

[]Wazeeri aka Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Wazeeri[/]

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't bowled reverse swing in a long time now, probably because most of his overs are wasted when he opened the bowling.
    The best part about Gul was his ability to reverse swing the old ball and that has been missing for some time now.
    Hopefully he will regain his form.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't bowled reverse swing in a long time now, probably because most of his overs are wasted when he opened the bowling.
    The best part about Gul was his ability to reverse swing the old ball and that has been missing for some time now.
    Hopefully he will regain his form.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think Gul should be in the final 15 CT squad as he is in bad form and is recovering from an injury.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't think Gul should be in the final 15 CT squad as he is in bad form and is recovering from an injury.
    Definitely, but neither should he be replaced by the spraygun. I would have an out of form over him any day.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very poor Test bowler, specially by Pakistani standards.

The Excellence Of Execution .... the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is actually over rated along our bradman Akmal and younis in ODIs.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gul has been a good player for Pakistan and has won us quite a few matches but at this point in his career he should think about retiring from tests and ODIs, concentrating on the format in which he is still our best pacer, t20s.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, I like Gul, and many people will appreciate his efforts after 2010 when the fiasco happened and he was forced to take charge as far as bowling goes. However, that chaotic transition is coming to an end whereby we now have viable fast bowling options. Hence, his place in the side really comes into perspective.

I think he has been over used due to the fact that he has been played in all 3 formats. I would keep him away from Tests at all costs. He doesn't have the kind of consistency that a bowler needs in Test matches. Tbh, at the moment the only team I'd want him in is the T-20 squad. Even in the ODI outfit I would want a younger bowler to start inheriting the 3rd seamer role- and no, not Wahab Riaz, for God's sake.

However, all arguments aside, I do appreciate the good performances over the years. He really had to take the brunt of the fast bowling after 2010 and he did it without complaining; enjoyed success here and there.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a very good bowler but nothing special.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An Average bowler most of the days but below par on some days.
    He is actually overrated.
    Please dont start giving excuses of taking over the bowling in crisis etc. He actually didnt use that to his advantage and has consistently slipped down.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    hard working, honest, dedicated , honourable and a player with the highest integrity.
    +1

He's def undervalued amongst Pak fans in particular.

People won't appreciate his true worth until he's gone.

I reckon he'll end up with 6 or 700 wickets for his country across all formats of the game before he retires.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a beautiful writeup on a mediocre player!

You have all the makings of a good fiction writer!

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ehsan Adil right now is a much better option.

Shehzad, Jamshed, Haris, Fawad, U.Akmal & Maqsood - our future top 6 In Sha Allah.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverselap View Post

Not fiction brother, everything was true.
    We should thank Gul first and than Criticize him.

I will always remember Gul as the man who revived my passion for Paksitani cricket not once but twice,

The first one after the SL attacks when he helped us win the 2009 T20i World Cup.
    And then after the Spot Fixing Fiasco, Pakistan were down 2-0 in the ODI series and in the third match Gul produced a magical spell of bowling and took 6 wickets to help Pakistan win the match reviving our chances in the series.
    Just my opinion, i will and always will rate him higher than cheats like Asif.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Agreed

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Better have a decent/mediocre player like Gul than super talented fixers like Asif who will disgrace the country again and again.

He is excellent in t20. Plus, the guy picks up his game during World cups mostly. 5-6 against us comes to mind during an important game which Pak needed to win.
    Last edited by leatherface58; 13th April 2013 at 22:24.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Better have a decent/mediocre player like Gul than super talented fixers like Asif who will disgrace the country again and again.

He is excellent in t20. Plus, the guy picks up his game during World cups mostly. 5-6 against us comes to mind during an important game which Pak needed to win.
    Mohammed Asif is like Hafeez, blessed in all facets of the game.

He is "super talented" in batting, bowling, fielding and not to forget the most important of all...match-fixing.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would be a decent bowler by Indian standards, but by Pakistani pace bowling standards, he falls short.

"This one doesn't take the cake, it takes the bakery" - Gavaskar

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Undervalued?

He is in fact one of the most over-hyped and overrated cricketers in recent memory.

A decade in intl. cricket and still can't move the new ball, or bowl the ball at the same spot even if his life depended on it.

Has been woeful in Test cricket for a fair while but cannot even cut it in ODIs since the pasting he got at the hands of Sehwag in Mohali.

Only remains effective in T20 cricket now, should give up Test cricket entirely.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmed778 View Post
    Not fiction brother, everything was true.
    We should thank Gul first and than Criticize him.

I will always remember Gul as the man who revived my passion for Paksitani cricket not once but twice,

The first one after the SL attacks when he helped us win the 2009 T20i World Cup.
    And then after the Spot Fixing Fiasco, Pakistan were down 2-0 in the ODI series and in the third match Gul produced a magical spell of bowling and took 6 wickets to help Pakistan win the match reviving our chances in the series.
    Just my opinion, i will and always will rate him higher than cheats like Asif.
    Bits of magic sandwiched between large periods of mediocrity

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverselap View Post

QOTW! I can't believe it people have settled for 10 years of mediocrity from Umar Gul!

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    QOTW! I can't believe it people have settled for 10 years of mediocrity from Umar Gul!
    neither can I believe people love the spraygun who loves to have an economy of 10.00 at least and is an expert at giving 100 runs in 10 overs

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How is Riaz an expert of going for an economy of 10 when he has never achieved that feat?You just make yourself look ridiculous with your ignorance.Umar Gul has routinely gone over 6 runs an over on many occasions!

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 main reasons Gul is in the team:

1. Asif and Aamir were banned
    2. Selectors and managment are scared of playing young bowlers

Gul is a 3rd class bowler

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ehsan Adil
    Asad Ali

Both are better options than Gul.

He is more average than the England fast bowlers of the 90s.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How is Riaz an expert of going for an economy of 10 when he has never achieved that feat?You just make yourself look ridiculous with your ignorance.Umar Gul has routinely gone over 6 runs an over on many occasions!
    If I remember correctly, wasn't Riaz the one who gave 50 odd runs in 4 overs and 100 odd in 10 overs against India/South Africa in the respective tournaments? Can't remember the last time Gul did that.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    waqarahmed and menace2society are correct.We must not put up with mediocrity if we are to reach success!I would love to see Ehsan replace Gul in the squad!!!!!111

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    waqarahmed and menace2society are correct.We must not put up with mediocrity if we are to reach success!I would love to see Ehsan replace Gul in the squad!!!!!111
    Yeah, Ehsan would be the best replacement.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar_ahmad View Post
    The 2 main reasons Gul is in the team:

1. Asif and Aamir were banned
    2. Selectors and managment are scared of playing young bowlers

Gul is a 3rd class bowler
    If Umar Gul is a 3rd class bowler then what does the chart below tell you about Kapil Dev?

List of subcontinent pace bowlers in ODIs with 100 or more wickets...

Attached Images Attached Images  

An Open Letter to Misbah: Time to go sir. Click here

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    rochdale
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At least we agree on something,Hamza!!!!!!!
    Last edited by alberto; 16th April 2013 at 19:59.