Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Beating Sri Lanka: The definition of false hope

False hope for the captain, false hope for the coach, false hope for the fans as usual, and false hope for Karthik and the "form" he's showed in this game.

South Africa will tear us apart, anybody with half a brain can see that.
    Last edited by aukhan; 13th November 2014 at 17:16.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Varun, you are one of the only few Indian fans I have seen with such pessimistic (and probably realistic) comments.

'I fear the day when technology will surpass human interaction'
    - Albert Einstein

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well said!first we need to get rid of hacks like vijay and the '********' boy wonder ***** sharma.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have already said that I will not get excited about this win.

The pitch has deflated the celebration. India would have probably chased down 350 too.

Terrible warm up if you ask me.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HamzaSaeen View Post
    Varun, you are one of the only few Indian fans I have seen with such pessimistic (and probably realistic) comments.
    glad as long as it makes our neighbors happy :-)

fully agree with OP anyway

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India can beat Sri Lanka in their sleep.

I don't think India will win this tourney due to all IPL off-field drama and fatigue.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A half prepared Gambhir is any day better than the gfn Veejay.
    I keep thinking even I could have been in the team everytime I see him there :@

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After all, this was Lanka we beat today! I wouldn't read too much into this game

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adit_sh View Post
    glad as long as it makes our neighbors happy :-)

fully agree with OP anyway
    nope, doesn't make me happy by any means. TBH I like the Indian side, obviously until and unless they are not playing us

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And the bowling was at its atrocious best... Zaheer void cannot be filled

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep99 View Post
    And the bowling was at its atrocious best... Zaheer void cannot be filled
    oh Zaheer... the guy who was even better than Akram

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    We've learnt it the hard way, what with our 54438463282 games yearly against the Lankans.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    oh Zaheer... the guy who was even better than Akram
    Stop trolling everywhere you go son.. He was atleast the best we had.. Wasim is a legend

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    We've learnt it the hard way, what with our 54438463282 games yearly against the Lankans.
    seems many of the indian fans still haven't learnt, on facebook countless fans are going crazy and many are going overconfident because of this win.
    Last edited by HamzaSaeen; 1st June 2013 at 23:29.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep99 View Post
    Stop trolling everywhere you go son.. He was atleast the best we had.. Wasim is a legend
    okay Zaheer was very good... at least at some point in his career.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    besides it was just a warm up match, but indias batting is strong, we shall c how they perform when the real thing starts, hopefully our bowlers will perform well agasint them

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rona dhona bandh karo ... give credit where it's due. Karthik showed why he is picked. I want Karthik to open with Dhawan. With new Odi rules, all he needs a proper time in the middle, with technique like him, he can really score some runs.

If we would have lost people would have cried about 'tiredness' of IPL and what not.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India has a chance against South Africa, but it will depend on the type of pitch.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hopes are still intact. I hope we tank all the three group matches and come home. It's a meaningless ICC tournament with zero prestige, so India should do everything it can to make it less attractive for the sponsors. The weaker the ICC becomes, the better it is for Indian cricket.

C'mon boys - come home and get some rest!

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Chennai, Tamilnadu
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bull's eye by Varun.

With our non-existent potent bowling Attack(can it be called like that?) and domestic bully top order (vijay/*****) It will be an herculean task for us to play competitively (let alone winning) against the strong Saffers who seems to be having no apparent weakness at the moment, and excelling in all departments.

I shudder the thought of facing Steyn/Morkel and even Tsotsobe on a seaming track by our batsmen.

Hope its a dry deck with no overcast conditions on June 6th with us batting second (only way we can win against SA if there is a possibility)

Baali Soda - INFJ-T

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avidlearner View Post
    I shudder the thought of facing Steyn/Morkel and even Tsotsobe on a seaming track by our batsmen.
    I shudder even more, at the thought of Amla and deViliers facing our 'help yourself' junk at 130kph. 333? Try 390, more like!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since when did Indian fans turned into mentality of Pakistani fans? Change of souls have happened or what!! #amankiasha

Chillax brothers and sisters. Let's all complain about MI winning IPL and Rohit and DK are not being able to enjoy the victory properly and had to fly instantly for the national duty. This DD and CSK fans are sourgrapes.

3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I shudder even more, at the thought of Amla and deViliers facing our 'help yourself' junk at 130kph. 333? Try 390, more like!
    Lol! The pitch was terrible to be honest which is why even the Lankans were bowling filth.

Atleast the Indians have had a warm-up game so far, our match was rained out.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cant be sure the same kind of pancakes in CT, but you never know, i have a gutt feeling this final CT we will see more roads and high scores in spite of the early english summer.

“My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”

― Rumi

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    South Africa will tear you apart. Just like they did in the world cup. And then won't be in the final as they lost in the semis . So SA won't be a problem.

You can win ODIs very much on batting. After all 7 out of 11 are batters. And the rest even still expected to chip in a bit. India won the WC mostly on batting, even though Zaheer bowled well, bowling as a whole was poor. Much easier for bowlers if they've got 300 (or 300 potentially to defend). Dhoni's a smart captain which helps a lot in that too, some good field placings and tight (even if not special) bowling can restrict runs well enough to win.

India just set out in the best way possible, looking ominous again with the bat when people weren't fearing their batting again after the recent series (including the Pakistan one).

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    Batman Space/Gotham City
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Fully agree with OP, I didnt want to go onto this!

On Thursday (#Matchday) doodh ka doodh aur Paani ka paani ho jaye ga

O man! surely you must strive (to attain) to your Lord,
    A hard striving until you meet Him.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Lol! The pitch was terrible to be honest which is why even the Lankans were bowling filth.

Atleast the Indians have had a warm-up game so far, our match was rained out.
    We could not even bowl wicket to wicket! Sri Lanka had rested their premier bowler too (irrespective of how he could have fared). South Africans will be laughing their ***** off after watching this match

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give credit where its due. It may be a warmup match, so what? should they loose it on purpose?

This is not an indication of the performances in real matches in the tournament, but win is win and it makes the players and fans happy and confident which is the whole purpose of the warmup matches!!

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We shall see on Match day. I'd say both sides have a good chance, with SA holding obvious edge. Comes down really to the turf which will be there on Thursday.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sticky_wkt View Post
    Give credit where its due. It may be a warmup match, so what? should they loose it on purpose?

This is not an indication of the performances in real matches in the tournament, but win is win and it makes the players and fans happy and confident which is the whole purpose of the warmup matches!!
    sorry but the whole purpose of warmup matches is to make the team comfortable with foreign conditions and all, and this match was played under anything but english summer conditions.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)

Beating Lanka: The Definition of False Hope

Oh c'mon, it was a great win. Chasing 330 on any wicket against any opposition is a massive achievement. It was a warmup but both teams showed 100% commitment and that's how it should be.

I believe India can definitely beat SA. Steyn is no threat in ODIs and the likes of Morkel and Tsotsobe will get hammered by the Indian top order.
    It would be close though. Like always, India is one of the heavy favorites and they are world champions too.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i keep here steyn is no threat in odis then i keep seeing him be a beast in every global tournament. He barely plays odi series and when he does he doesnt seem to extert himself. Every world tournament i have seen in him though he is among the best

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon_Ghaffar View Post
    Oh c'mon, it was a great win. Chasing 330 on any wicket against any opposition is a massive achievement. It was a warmup but both teams showed 100% commitment and that's how it should be.

I believe India can definitely beat SA. Steyn is no threat in ODIs and the likes of Morkel and Tsotsobe will get hammered by the Indian top order.
    It would be close though. Like always, India is one of the heavy favorites and they are world champions too.
    pretty much this. we will struggle to chase 250 on this wicket, and they chased 330.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

This, pretty much. One false shot from Amla or ABD and the whole Saffer batting line-up becomes ordinary. The bowling attack isn't too strong either.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You are adding unnecessary pressure on us

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mithun_minhas View Post
    I don't think you will walk out on the field on thursday to play vs South Africa the team that will, probably does not have any idea of PP, so I don't know how they will get 'unnecessarily' pressurized

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry but the whole purpose of warmup matches is to make the team comfortable with foreign conditions and all, and this match was played under anything but english summer conditions.
    So what should they do? since its not foreign conditions, should they loose it?

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a good wicket for batting, India will be very tough to beat. Make no mistake about that. But in typical English conditions, they will be tested.

Most of the batsmen actually dont have much experience in those conditions and will struggle to adjust. South Africa will have an upper hand over them in those conditions. It will be a good test for them and hopefully, they will learn something from this.
    Last edited by gabbarsingh; 2nd June 2013 at 00:12.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sticky_wkt View Post
    So what should they do? since its not foreign conditions, should they loose it?
    LOL definitely not lose it. just try out new players and practice and try their best to win. I have said before it was a great win regardless, specially great batting by Kohli and Karthik.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Pressure? You guys are the World Champs, you're batting line-up is great and your bowlers are decent. The Champions Trophy is as good as yours.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India showed their batting strength, even though the Lanka bowling was poor.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL definitely not lose it. just try out new players and practice and try their best to win. I have said before it was a great win regardless, specially great batting by Kohli and Karthik.
    Thats exactly what they did. Kohli and Karthik played well according to the conditions what they received. I dont think anyone who understands cricket would be in false confidence as suggested in OP.

For me, its a good start to the campaign after all the fixing scandals off late. Hope the team will get confidence from this win and get few more wins in the tournament. Even if they fail all the remaining matches, it has got nothing to do with this warmup match win.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Pressure? You guys are the World Champs, you're batting line-up is great and your bowlers are decent. The Champions Trophy is as good as yours.
    In subcontinent.

We lost ODI series in England, got eliminated in Aus, lost to Pak at home too.

Outside of subcontinent, we are as good as Bangladesh. Even in India, we lost to Pak at our own game.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In subcontinent.

Outside of subcontinent, we are as good as Bangladesh. Even in India, we lost to Pak at our own game.
    expect nothing different in England.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    expect nothing different in England.
    You wish

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You wish
    well, all I can say is good luck for the game, but still you can't beat us.

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Apr 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the pitches remain as they are India will be up amongst the favourites, as these pitches take bowling out of the equation.

Any time that happens, and it becomes a straight shoot-out between batting sides, the Indian batting line-up is as good as anyone's in ODIs.

Big Cats...The Pride of PPCL.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOSami View Post
    If the pitches remain as they are India will be up amongst the favourites, as these pitches take bowling out of the equation.

Any time that happens, and it becomes a straight shoot-out between batting sides, the Indian batting line-up is as good as anyone's in ODIs.
    100% Agreed.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, all I can say is good luck for the game, but still you can't beat us.
    Junaid Khan was smashed by Ed Joyce of Ireland. Its ridiculous to see you guys hyping him like the second coming of Marshall.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbarsingh View Post
    Junaid Khan was smashed by Ed Joyce of Ireland. Its ridiculous to see you guys hyping him like the second coming of Marshall.
    bowled better than his figures suggest. lot of edges flew. Junaid Khan IS good. owned kohli earlier this year.

but i think Junaid VS Kohli will be a mouthwatering dual. guy like kohli will want to fire back

“My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”

― Rumi

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing amazing. Had Pakistan chased down 334 against any opposition on any sort of wicket it would have made the fans delirious with joy and on the contrary even if Pak had defended 220 odd against even the saffas it would have been a so so achievement. Such a contrast in style, thinking and it would remain the same for the two neighbours

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All I know is,

No way we are winning the Champions Trophy with a batting line up that cant chase more than 220 or score more than 240 on a batting wicket.....

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dr_Bassim;5808014]All I know is,

No way we are winning the Champions Trophy with a batting line up that cant chase more than 220 or score more than 240 on a batting wicket.....[/QUO

But thats our achilles heel. Barring Misbah and to some extent Malik the rest of the lot is not reliable at all

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    False hope for the captain, false hope for the coach, false hope for the fans as usual, and false hope for Karthik and the "form" he's showed in this game.

South Africa will tear us apart, anybody with half a brain can see that.
    That was a good win really, from behind. South Africa looks a good team on paper, but as a ODI team they are only half good as their test side. Even New Zealand wiped the floor with them, not long ago.

"This one doesn't take the cake, it takes the bakery" - Gavaskar

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)

In subcontinent.

Who cares. You lifted the World Cup while no other team could.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)

It isn't unnecessary pressure mate, just the reality. Matter of fact is India can chase down 400 at will on batting wickets and English pitches are very flat these days in limited overs.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares. You lifted the World Cup while no other team could.
    That's because WC is worth winning -- so the team put in some effort. Who cares about this tournament? In today's game, Indian bowling and fielding, which is sloppy at the best of times, was sloppier than usual.

Right now, in Indian cricket, the real drama is being played out outside the field. That's what people are focused on. India will crash out of this stupid tournament in the first round, and no one will care.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Be Positive bro, South Africa without Kallis and Smith doesn't look that strong, and trust me only Amla and ABD are real threats and if you guys play out Steyn the remaining bowlers can be handled with ease. what a brilliant innings, i was saying in the thread from the beginning that India will chase down the total. Any big totals and goes full ....

Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both Pakistan abd South africa will tear India apart. The indians stand no chance against Steyn and the likes of Morkel and Tsotsobe. Not to mention an aggresive Junaid and Irfan who will destroy the Indian batting.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    My favorite Indian poster, he sees thing for what they really are

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianWillow View Post
    That was a good win really, from behind. South Africa looks a good team on paper, but as a ODI team they are only half good as their test side. Even New Zealand wiped the floor with them, not long ago.
    2 set SL batsmen retired out and if you think England will have more pitches like the ones day, you're set for a surprise once the tournament starts.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India can beat this lankan team even with many state sides under such conditions forget the National team was a depressing match and yes false hopes,those fans in FB and all must be cissies who also do the same for IPL teams,they don't deserve real cricket

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and according to me this AIN'T a stupid tournament,after a long time we are able to see some real cricket ,I for once is v happy but know for a fact that our team is gonna struggle

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why din't Umesh Yadav bowl/play?

And to be honest India didn't see this match as warm-up but a match they had to win, and that was showed when Kohli didn't retired out even after making a century and Dhoni's excuese was lame.

The result doesn't matter because you would never know how many SL would have made if their openers didn't retire out.

But having said all this it was still a good show by India. Making 330+ even on a flat wicket is no joke so good on them for that.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Offenbach am Main, Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Beating Sri Lanka: The Definition of False Hope

India versus Sri Lanka:
    India´s victory over them should never be taken too seriously, particularly following the World Cup final 2011 - before that, they used to compete well. Mind you, I am not degrading the individual performances here by the Indian players, but what I am pointing is the "hold" that the former have got over the latter. It was pretty much routine work yesterday for both the teams, particularly if India happen to bat second.

My take on warm-up matches:
    I don´t take them seriously. I wish I could hold myself from even taking a look at the scorecards. I am not in favour of them being televised either. It spoils the build up a little bit for the fans sitting at home as they tend to take it a little too seriously. Of the yesterday´s match, I only watched the last 45 minutes or so I think.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    2 set SL batsmen retired out and if you think England will have more pitches like the ones day, you're set for a surprise once the tournament starts.
    Chasing down 334 is never easy against any opponent, especially from 4 down for 110. That India took the practice match seriously and did not give up after the early stutter shows that they have come here to win, and have left behind IPL scars.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianWillow View Post
    Chasing down 334 is never easy against any opponent, especially from 4 down for 110. That India took the practice match seriously and did not give up after the early stutter shows that they have come here to win, and have left behind IPL scars.
    After one warm up game you can say that
    You can't say anything till the actual games start..

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The OP reads like a bit of an attempt to curry favour. Unsure.

I don't know why, in relation to a Champions Trophy taking place in England, South Africa's ODI side gets so hyped on this website; its recent record in England isn't that great at all. 6 losses, 2 no results and a mere 2 wins in the last five years.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The OP reads like a bit of an attempt to curry favour. Unsure.

I don't know why, in relation to a Champions Trophy taking place in England, South Africa's ODI side gets so hyped up on this website; its recent record in England isn't that great at all. 6 losses, 1 no result and a mere 2 wins in the last five years.
    AB and Amla are special players, I wouldn't count SA out as long as those two are still there.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbarsingh View Post
    pretty sure you did not watch the match... more edges went to the boundary than being actually hit off the meat of the bat... was really unlucky! he is not the second coming of marshall, but definitely very good, and owned your team at their own den, jealous much? on a side note, isn't Yadav the second coming of Marshall?

- Albert Einstein

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6585 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    AB and Amla are special players, I wouldn't count SA out as long as those two are still there.

Both of them choke in ICC events.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Both of them choke in ICC events.
    The AB's have choked in plenty of WC's as well but they eventually won one

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Interesting to note that the thread title was modded to include 'Sri' ahead of 'Lanka'. Is it impolite to refer to the average Sri Lankan (their team, in this case) as a Lankan?

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    Johannesburg, SA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating Sri Lanka: The Definition of False Hope

Interesting to note that the thread title was modded to include 'Sri' ahead of 'Lanka'. Is it impolite to refer to the average Sri Lankan (their team, in this case) as a Lankan?
    Just common courtesy I suppose. Lanka is not the country's name.

Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo_Don View Post
    Just common courtesy I suppose. Lanka is not the country's name.
    America is not USA's name either but widely used. Lanka is the name given to that island in ancient literature and many here just say lanka. lanka is a sanskrit word, deriving from the root 'lak' and means "to enjoy" or "to reach/attain".

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd never count any team out in a tournament format, but I do think their ODI side is undeservedly overrated.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i sed whoever was to win yesterday's practice match will be the unlucky one, cuz scoring all them runs may just make that team a little layed back, cuz trust me neither team had gud bowling, SL may take that loss to improve their bowling, while India may try to improve butthe win wud make them a little less worried, when they shud b very worried, AB De villiers will eat through their bowling, he almost destroyed pakistan in the recent series, india wud be no big deal for him.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Denmark
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well india will beat Pakistan with a good match, and South Africa will beat india...

so the question is can Pak beat south africa ??? Wi will be beaten by most teams..

DON - "Don Ko Team Se Nikalna Mushkil Hi Nahin, Namumkin Hai!":Kami

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Just like how India buying the WC and then claiming to be world champs .... definition of a false premise

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Thankfully rain stayed away. Not a bad warm-up for both sides I would say even though the conditions weren't ideal. Good confidence booster for the batsmen.