Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[VIDEO] On This Day: September 19, 1998 - Shahid Afridi scores his first century against India

Afridi scored 109 and Inzi scored 78, Pakistan posted a total of 316 against India in 4th ODI of Sahara Cup. Saqlain Mushtaq got 3 wickets for 20, Pakistan won by 134 runs and regained the Sahara Cup. Wasim and Waqar were not playing in this series.

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66044.html

Last edited by WebGuru; 19th September 2013 at 10:16.

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a good photo. Afridi is criticised a lot but among all that, he played some gems which deserve recognition.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    871 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He comes of once in a while. But that is also rare these days. Pakistan batting is not that good to carry two ffez such inconsistent players.

Fear the Creator ..... not the created.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The team sheet is such a joy to see. Despite Wasim and Waqar not being there, there is quality from top to bottom. Even a second 11 of Pak wud have destroyed the current first 11

"Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    896 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wish he was forced to retire some years back..

Man is too political, creates a disastrous environment in the team..

and can go to any lengths to get captaincy again, like his recent media attention grabbing tactics..

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An Indian team without SRT ? He only played the 5th/last match, which also went to Pakistan (grabbed that Kannadian series 4-1 without the double Ws )
    Last edited by akheR; 20th September 2013 at 00:11.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    One of the gems of Afridi as his centuries were rare, very rare.

Interested in talking about your own game? Click on My Cricket

Follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by akheR View Post
    An Indian team without SRT ? He only played the 5th/last match, which also went to Pakistan (grabbed that Kannadian series 4-1 without the double Ws )
    Kannadian ?? A similar phrase is used to describe an Indian state's people/language, Kannadiga/Kannad. (Karnatka, whose capital is Bangalore)

BTW, SRT was sent to the CWG games and India sent it's other team to Sahara cup.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Favourite opposition

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes he came off one in a while back in those days Pakistan could afford such a player but not towards the end of his career. His only utility was his bowling which he improved towards the second half of his career.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Canada didn't really develop as an international venue which is surprising really.

Potential was there.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember this series quite clearly. I was about 8 years old. It feels like it happened yesterday.

Pakistan won the series 3-2 or 4-1 (if I remember correctly).

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    what was the logic of wearing whites in some ODIs in those days?

Like it had been 6 years since colored clothing and you would think in a venue like in Canada you would want color clothing even more to attract youngsters and make it seem exciting

#MPGA

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post

Like it had been 6 years since colored clothing and you would think in a venue like in Canada you would want color clothing even more to attract youngsters and make it seem exciting
    In those days, ODIs were played in both white clothes and colored clothes. I think they stopped using white clothes for ODI from 2001.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I miss when Afridi was a batsman ego could bowl a bit rather than the other way around

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    By Afridi standards it was a sedate innings - 109 off 94 balls.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afridi has 11 centuries and 51 half centuries in internationals, to go with 10 hauls of 5 Wickets or more per innings and 8 hauls of 4 wickets or more per innings.

However, this is over 508 innings.

He got into the team because there was serious quality elsewhere and he could be an impact player. Later, when the team became not so good, he offered better quality than some others.

Either way, a colorful career but could have been so much better. He seriously underperformed in both disciplines in my view.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pakistan team was stronger in those times. Indian team had poor bench strength.

pakistan's odi batting is so underrated in the 90s. it was better than India's easily.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Canada didn't really develop as an international venue which is surprising really.

Potential was there.
    It is still there , need more funding , issue is the cold..

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

13 years since color clothing, 1985 world Championship of cricket India vs Pakistan final if you see, you can see the color.

I despised it as well but all the Sahara Canada cups had it.
    Last edited by JaDed; 20th September 2020 at 01:14.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    13 years since color clothing, 1985 world Championship of cricket India vs Pakistan final if you see, you can see the color.

I despised it as well but all the Sahara Canada cups had it.
    It was a bit old fashioned but I quite liked it. Actually coloured clothing in ODI's had been in use since the 70's in Australia and around 1980 in NZ, 92 in SA, 95' ish in SL, 98 in England. The Sahara Cup was a bilateral series and both India and Pakistan used whites for home bilateral ODI's until the 2000/01 season. So maybe that's why they used white.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    It was a bit old fashioned but I quite liked it. Actually coloured clothing in ODI's had been in use since the 70's in Australia and around 1980 in NZ, 92 in SA, 95' ish in SL, 98 in England. The Sahara Cup was a bilateral series and both India and Pakistan used whites for home bilateral ODI's until the 2000/01 season. So maybe that's why they used white.
    Ah makes sense... but I remember in 1998 April we had India,Aus,Zim and everyone wore whites argh

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Those were the days India’s H2H against Pakistan used to get a hammering.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    Afridi has 11 centuries and 51 half centuries in internationals, to go with 10 hauls of 5 Wickets or more per innings and 8 hauls of 4 wickets or more per innings.

However, this is over 508 innings.

He got into the team because there was serious quality elsewhere and he could be an impact player. Later, when the team became not so good, he offered better quality than some others.

Either way, a colorful career but could have been so much better. He seriously underperformed in both disciplines in my view.
    Both Afridi and Shoaib Akhtar were a disappointment, considering their potential.

Afridi started his career with a legendary 100 and a 5fer against Aussies. He could become a genuine test all rounder.

Even a fat and old Akhtar was bowling 95mph in his last 2 games. He didn't even play 50 test games.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In day series white clothing and red ball was used and in night tournaments white ball.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    729 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Ah makes sense... but I remember in 1998 April we had India,Aus,Zim and everyone wore whites argh
    Yes that seems to have been an exception. I'm not sure why. Actually, come to think of it, there doesn't seem to have been a hard and fast rule either way. India-PAK bilateral series in 97 was in coloureds despite the fact Pakistan were still playing in whites generally and SA-India ODI's in 2000 was also in coloureds despite the fact that we played Zimbabwe 6 months later in whites. Must have been interesting though - to play ODI's with white kookaburra in coloureds, white Dukes at the World Cup, red SG in India ODI's , red Kooka in Pakistan etc. I had never really thought about that.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Yes that seems to have been an exception. I'm not sure why. Actually, come to think of it, there doesn't seem to have been a hard and fast rule either way. India-PAK bilateral series in 97 was in coloureds despite the fact Pakistan were still playing in whites generally and SA-India ODI's in 2000 was also in coloureds despite the fact that we played Zimbabwe 6 months later in whites. Must have been interesting though - to play ODI's with white kookaburra in coloureds, white Dukes at the World Cup, red SG in India ODI's , red Kooka in Pakistan etc. I had never really thought about that.
    Haha yeah, maybe its coz the color of the ball not sure if anyone else can shred light on that.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)