Instagram

SportsFever360

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    Sir Richard Hadlee ATG Thread [undergoes surgery for cancer, Update Post #22]

    Outstanding test stats- 431 wickets in 86 matches, with a SR of 51 and an average of 22.
    Last edited by Haroon786; 21st September 2013 at 10:39.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    4,350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think few similar threads already exist . merge or delete .

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Nope, I dont think so, anyway deserves far more recogintion on this forum.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,903
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for letting me know Sir Richard Hadlee is an ATG.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Thanks for letting me know Sir Richard Hadlee is an ATG.
    Refer to my last comment on the Escapist thread.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    9,704
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Discussed on plenty threads already.


    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Probably the best bowler from the ANGLO-AUS-NZ axis.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bump.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    3,478
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Probably the best bowler from the ANGLO-AUS-NZ axis.
    I think Lillee, Trueman are also there at top.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,746
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Probably the best bowler from the ANGLO-AUS-NZ axis.
    I'd put him a bit behind Lillee for reasons already discussed, and behind Lindwall, McGrath and Trueman.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amax View Post
    I think Lillee, Trueman are also there at top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I'd put him a bit behind Lillee for reasons already discussed, and behind Lindwall, McGrath and Trueman.
    Personally I think the only.contender or two are Trueman and Lilee, Robert could you ela orate on Lindwall please?


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    3,478
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Personally I think the only.contender or two are Trueman and Lilee, Robert could you ela orate on Lindwall please?
    I agree, Mcgrath and Hadlee were almost same type of bowlers, but hadlee edges out because he was more destructive. Lindwall was great but his strike rate over 55 keeps him out of contention for top spot.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amax View Post
    I agree, Mcgrath and Hadlee were almost same type of bowlers, but hadlee edges out because he was more destructive. Lindwall was great but his strike rate over 55 keeps him out of contention for top spot.
    Trueman then probably.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  14. #14
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,746
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amax View Post
    I agree, Mcgrath and Hadlee were almost same type of bowlers, but hadlee edges out because he was more destructive. Lindwall was great but his strike rate over 55 keeps him out of contention for top spot.
    You have to compare them with who was around at the same time. Some people consider him better than Trueman - the Englishman's strike rate was a lot better, but he didn't travel well, while Ray put in big performances in England, WI and SA, IIRC.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    16,052
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    You have to compare them with who was around at the same time. Some people consider him better than Trueman - the Englishman's strike rate was a lot better, but he didn't travel well, while Ray put in big performances in England, WI and SA, IIRC.
    Hadlee was better than most of his contemporaries barring a couple of Windies, Lilee and Imran potentially.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    7,740
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Thread needs a bump
    Malcolm>Hadlee/Imran>Garner/Holding in the 80s.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    86,733
    Mentioned
    863 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    MaGrath was better than haddle.

    Haddle was lethal on seaming wickets no doubt , but other than That , MaGrath has edge.


    Fear the Creator ..... not the created.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,746
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    One curious thing about Sir Richard was that he didn't start to perform at a consistently high level until he was 29 or 30.

    He suffered a nervous breakdown in 1982 and worked with a psychologist to recover. He cut his run-up down and got more accurate. He was deeply into goal-setting and self-hypnosis. He would have a goal for every game - runs scored and wickets taken, depending on conditions. A lot of people thought he was a bit autistic because he was so single-minded. He carried a card around in his kit bag with a list of self-affirmations on it, and read them while he was changing into his whites.

    If only the far more inately talented Botham could have been a bit more like him in terms of preparation....

  19. #19
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    11,953
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    One curious thing about Sir Richard was that he didn't start to perform at a consistently high level until he was 29 or 30.

    He suffered a nervous breakdown in 1982 and worked with a psychologist to recover. He cut his run-up down and got more accurate. He was deeply into goal-setting and self-hypnosis. He would have a goal for every game - runs scored and wickets taken, depending on conditions. A lot of people thought he was a bit autistic because he was so single-minded. He carried a card around in his kit bag with a list of self-affirmations on it, and read them while he was changing into his whites.

    If only the far more inately talented Botham could have been a bit more like him in terms of preparation....
    Wow didn't know about the nervous breakdown. He seems like a meticulous kinda person who was far ahead of his times. But many do not rate him as high as Lillee,Marshall,Imran etc. because he wasn't as aggressive as they were. Is it true?

  20. #20
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,746
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Wow didn't know about the nervous breakdown. He seems like a meticulous kinda person who was far ahead of his times. But many do not rate him as high as Lillee,Marshall,Imran etc. because he wasn't as aggressive as they were. Is it true?
    He was aggressive with bat and ball, but there was a suggestion that his bottle could go under fire. I saw this in 1986, when Botham returned from a two-test ban with a point to prove, coming in against Hadlee armed with the second new ball. As Botham hit him to all parts, the world #1 started bowling line and length with all nine fielders on the boundary.

    Didn't happen often, though. Usually he ruled. Imran reckoned that he was the best green-wicket bowler in history but he was good on any surface in all conditions. Operating at a sharp FM, he swung and cut it both ways, and had a nasty and well disguised quicker ball aimed at the throat.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    11,953
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    He was aggressive with bat and ball, but there was a suggestion that his bottle could go under fire. I saw this in 1986, when Botham returned from a two-test ban with a point to prove, coming in against Hadlee armed with the second new ball. As Botham hit him to all parts, the world #1 started bowling line and length with all nine fielders on the boundary.

    Didn't happen often, though. Usually he ruled. Imran reckoned that he was the best green-wicket bowler in history but he was good on any surface in all conditions. Operating at a sharp FM, he swung and cut it both ways, and had a nasty and well disguised quicker ball aimed at the throat.
    It is always good to have the opinion of someone who has watched a cricketer play. Thank you for your input.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    91,236
    Mentioned
    1642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Sad news but thankfully he seems to be recovering now:

    Below from NZC:

    Last month, Richard had a routine, 3-year colonoscopy, and we discovered that he has bowel cancer.

    “He has since had an operation to remove the tumour. This operation went extremely well and he has made an excellent recovery from surgery.

    “As a safeguard, further treatment in the form of chemotherapy will commence shortly and last for a few months.

    “It is expected that, in time, he will have a full recovery.

    “Our reasons for making this statement are a desire to be transparent, and to prevent the inevitable speculation and incorrect rumours.

    “I would also request people's understanding and acceptance of our request for privacy while we go through the next few months, both for ourselves and for the extended Hadlee family.”


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    47,903
    Mentioned
    258 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ome of the greatest fast bowlers ever. Arguably the greatest.

    Get well soon Sir Hadlee.

    Bhaijaan.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    10,233
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear he is recovering.Hopefully he is back up to 100% soon.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    20,389
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sad news . Hopefully he makes a recovery.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    13,497
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery


    If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    5,541
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope he makes a full recovery. New Zealand's finest without a doubt and a proper gentleman. Not at all arrogant or full of himself like his Aussie neighbours are. Would like to see him play a more active par in NZ Cricket after he gets better.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    6,059
    Mentioned
    1256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Get well soon Sir. One of the best bowlers to have every played the game. Hope he makes a full recovery.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    23,746
    Mentioned
    687 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Postitive vibes to old Paddles.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    3,931
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir Richard Hadlee

    Please find below a media statement issued on behalf of Lady Dianne Hadlee:


    "This week, Richard will undergo further surgery after secondary cancer was discovered in his liver.

    "Medical advice is that it's still at a very early stage and is operable.

    "Once he has recovered from the operation, Richard will undergo further chemotherapy treatment.

    "As with the first statement released on this matter, we disclose these details solely in the interests of transparency, and to avoid speculation and gossip.

    “We would again ask that people respect our request for privacy.”
    Last edited by hadi123; 16th July 2018 at 10:41.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Don't see us ascending from 7th/6th in the near future. 5-0 in England and South Africa awaits us, we will be lucky to even draw one match.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •