On This Day September 22, 1986: A Test Match between India and Australia was Tied

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

On This Day September 22, 1986: A Test Match between India and Australia was Tied

It had to happen: eventually Test cricket was going to produce another tie, to go with the historic Brisbane match of 1960-61. The first tie came in the 498th Test of all; the 1052nd Test provided tie number two. Like the Brisbane match, this Test ended with one possible ball left to be bowled.

India were fortunate to be in any sort of winning position, Australia having declared their first innings at 574 early on the third day, while a generous second declaration left the home side 348 to win on the final day, in front of a large, excited crowd of over 30,000.

India's chase began safely, with Gavaskar, playing his 100th consecutive Test, steering them to 94 by lunch for the loss of Srikkanth. Offspinner Matthews, who bowled unchanged after the eighth over, had removed the dashing opener for 39. The vastly experienced pair of Gavaskar and Amarnath added 103, and by tea India were 193 for 2, needing a further 155 from 30 overs for a famous victory. With the score 251 Gavaskar fell for an invaluable 90, and two runs later Kapil Dev went for a single. Azharuddin and Pandit played responsibly for 42 and 39 respectively, while Shastri hit sensibly, taking two sixes off Matthews. When Pandit was bowled the score was 331 for 6, with 17 needed. Bright then took a hand, having the hard-hitting Chetan Sharma caught on the boundary, trapping wicketkeeper More lbw for a duck and bowling the lunging Yadav. This brought in Maninder Singh, no batsman, with four needed from the final over.

Shastri managed a two, followed by a single to level the scores. Maninder had three balls from which to conjure the winning run, but he fatally played back to the second and was out lbw. The Australian spinners had shared all 10 wickets, with Matthews taking five in each innings. The Australian side, later to be roundly criticised in the Indian Press for 'gamesmanship and intimidation', were ecstatic: at Brisbane no-one had been sure of the result, but they all knew this time.

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63438.html

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A rare feat... just goes to show you that tests can go to wire also.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That story about Greg Matthews asking for a long sleeved jumper on day 5, just to send a message to the Indian team, is amazing.

It sounds horrible though, the way the players suffered in the heat.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Probably the greatest ever test match.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Amazing test match. I was lucky to watch it on telly for all 5 days.
    Few things from what i remember about this match.
    It was a tie though unlike the first tied test match. Australia declared twice.
    Dean Jones epic effort to score Double century.
    i give credit to 2 players for the tie.
    Firstly Border for courageous and sporting decision to give India a full day to bat.
    Secondly Shastri who went for the win while most batsman would have played for draw.
    Personally i think Maninder Singh got a bad decision because the umpire wanted his name in history book.
    Also I think it was the first test match where Kapil Dev went wicket less.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Brilliant picture.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4822 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    A tied test match is a rare feat. I hope to see one, one day.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One point I want to note here is, an Indian umpire (Dotiwala) gave a dubious LBW decision to send Maninder Singh on his way as the last Indian wicket to fall with the scores level.

It's so rare for an home umpire to rule against the home team on such a defining moment of the game. Maninder complained, but it didn't matter in the end. Look at the pic showing Maninder complaining.. may be of an inside-edge.. Australians didn't care..

Also, Maninder used to be the last man out in epic India-Australia encounters of 86-87. In WC 1987, he was the one who got bowled giving Australia a 1-run victory.
    Last edited by tempus123; 23rd September 2013 at 10:25.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shastri talks in detail about his dilemma of going for two or scoring a single of the last ball he faced. Ahh.. cricket used to be so much played in the heart those days. You will find players more professional today and get over a close loss/tie much better now.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Test match. Remember it vividly. Great batting by Dean Jones earlier in the Test. India's chase on the last day was incredible. Sunny Gavaskar showed why he's rated the best opener in the game's history.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Awesome Test match. Remember it vividly. Great batting by Dean Jones earlier in the Test. India's chase on the last day was incredible. Sunny Gavaskar showed why he's rated the best opener in the game's history.
    Also a point in praise of Kapil Dev, with team at 220-6, and 7-240.. to take them to 397, and avoiding the follow-on.. great gutsy counter attacking hundred. His SR was 86
    Last edited by tempus123; 23rd September 2013 at 10:28.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tempus123 View Post
    Also a point in praise of Kapil Dev, with team at 220-6, and 7-240.. to take them to 397, and avoiding the follow-on.. great gutsy counter attacking hundred. His SR was 86
    Kapil paaji was a born legend. The only thing that prevented him from becoming the best ever allrounder was that he achieved so much so early. At 23, he won the WC and became the most famous Asian sportsperson, that meant from there on, for him, what next was the key.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pungi View Post
    Kapil paaji was a born legend. The only thing that prevented him from becoming the best ever allrounder was that he achieved so much so early. At 23, he won the WC and became the most famous Asian sportsperson, that meant from there on, for him, what next was the key.
    Hmm.. great cricketer who could have achieved more.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    That story about Greg Matthews asking for a long sleeved jumper on day 5, just to send a message to the Indian team, is amazing.
    It sounds horrible though, the way the players suffered in the heat.
    I read somewhere that it was to send a message to his own teammates who complained of heat.

I've read only though,might be wrong.Was the heat really that intense for even Indians to start complaining?

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    I read somewhere that it was to send a message to his own teammates who complained of heat.

I've read only though,might be wrong.Was the heat really that intense for even Indians to start complaining?
    From what I can remember, I don't think the Indians complained at all. It was typical Chennai heat, but not unbearable for those used to that kind of weather.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That match could be seen as part of the Australian resurgence from the mid-eighties nadir. Dean Jones was suffering from flu and wanted to stay in the dressing room, but Border shamed him onto the field and, batting in batting in a daze, constantly on the point of throwing up, he scored 200. One of the most remarkable innings ever!

And look at 21-year-old Tugga batting down at #7.
    Last edited by Robert; 24th September 2013 at 11:37.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Venue
    Sydney
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post

It was 42 and very humid throughout the test, which would be extremely taxing. Australia is a hot country, so temperatures of 42 wouldn't have been completely alien to the Aussies (except maybe David Boon), but the humidity probably would have been.

Apparently Matthews wore the jumper to get in the heads of the Indian team:

He actually asked for a long-sleeved jumper on the last day, which blew everyone away. Then he parked himself on the boundary in front of the Indian team and told them, "It's not hot, we love it like this", and started to yabber away at them.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantani View Post
    It was 42 and very humid throughout the test, which would be extremely taxing. Australia is a hot country, so temperatures of 42 wouldn't have been completely alien to the Aussies (except maybe David Boon), but the humidity probably would have been.

Apparently Matthews wore the jumper to get in the heads of the Indian team:
    Did he assume that Indians would care about this gimmick ? Most probably they didn't even pay attention to it apart from saying "crazy guy"...

He assumed it would send a message to Indians and gain psychological advantage.. lol.
    Last edited by tempus123; 24th September 2013 at 13:22.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember following this match on radio. Vividly remember the plaudits that the local news papers gave for Dean Jones' epic innings. India was staring at a follow on and that is when my fav. Kapil took us to safety. I even remember that his scoring shot to get to a hundred was a two that took him from 99 to 101 .

On the penultimate day, I was thinking that this match is going to be a draw. It was a pleasant surprise that AB declared and gave a stiff target for India to chase. What was a comfortable position for India slowly turned into a whirl pool with wickets falling at regular intervals - classic test match drama!

The tension of the last over was too much even if I was only hearing the commentary and not watching it live...when Maninder got out I didnt know what the result was. The confusion lasted till I tuned into a news bulletin later that night when I heard the word 'Tie' for the first time (can't blame a 13 year old rookie cricket fan)..Good old memories!

Win or lose - it is Team INDIA I choose...

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dani2k View Post
    I remember following this match on radio. Vividly remember the plaudits that the local news papers gave for Dean Jones' epic innings. India was staring at a follow on and that is when my fav. Kapil took us to safety. I even remember that his scoring shot to get to a hundred was a two that took him from 99 to 101 .

On the penultimate day, I was thinking that this match is going to be a draw. It was a pleasant surprise that AB declared and gave a stiff target for India to chase. What was a comfortable position for India slowly turned into a whirl pool with wickets falling at regular intervals - classic test match drama!

The tension of the last over was too much even if I was only hearing the commentary and not watching it live...when Maninder got out I didnt know what the result was. The confusion lasted till I tuned into a news bulletin later that night when I heard the word 'Tie' for the first time (can't blame a 13 year old rookie cricket fan)..Good old memories!
    you are 50 year old?

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Bad at maths...Do your calculation again

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dani2k View Post
    ^^Bad at maths...Do your calculation again
    40.still older than I thought

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good...I still have a little more time to reach Sachin's age ...I am young at heart though