21 Thread(s)

Talent Spotter : Irfanullah Shah

Full name Irfanullah Shah

Born May 5, 1995, Bannu

Major teams Pakistan Under-19s

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm medium-fast

Getting into cricket

In the area where I lived as a young child, everyone was really into cricket. After school all the boys would meet up and play in the local park or on the streets. Any wasteland or unused space would be occupied by a game of cricket.

The younger boys would play tennis ball matches and as you got older and better, youíd be ďpromotedĒ to compete in local matches where a hard ball was used. Iíve always enjoyed playing cricket and watching cricket right from an early age. The matches we played right from a young age were very competitive. Itís an environment that breeds tough cricket and isnít for the faint hearted.

School Cricket

I was asked by a friend to attend trials for my school team. Initially I wasnít sure whether I should attend as I wasnít too confident about being selected. I wasnít picked but was put on the reserves list. However one of the boys who was scheduled to play picked up an injury and I was called in at the last minute. I did well in my first match for the school and that was really the starting point of my cricket career. After playing regularly for my school team I then progressed to district cricket and college cricket.

Bannu

Bannu is the city I was born in. It has no proper cricketing facilities so we just make use of what we can. There is no cricket stadium in Bannu and a lot of the cricketing talent from this area is spotted in district Twenty20 tournaments which are held at the local football stadium.

There are two or three such tournaments held each year and all of the districtís cricketing talent are divided up amongst the teams taking part. Usually there are representatives from departmental teams present at these tournaments as they look to sign up some of the best players. There are also district and regional coaches present overseeing proceedings and looking for young cricketers that they feel they can work with and develop. Bannu is now under FATA region and this region is really producing a lot of fast bowling talent.

District and Regional Cricket

After doing well in school cricket, I was picked for the District under 16 team after impressing at trials and then subsequently picked for the District Under 19 team. The natural progression then is to move up to regional cricket and I have played for Abbottabad Under 19s in the national Under 19 national competition.

ZTBL

Iíve signed up with one of Pakistanís top departmental teams ZTBL. As yet Iíve not played for their first team but have been representing their Under 19 team. Itís a very professional set up compared to what I have been used to. The coaching is very good, the training more intense and thereís a lot of good advice available on nutrition and on technical aspects of the game. In my first season in the departmental Under 19 competition I was the leading wicket taker with 63 wickets. Iím hoping that I can make my way into the ZTBL first team next season.

Height

The last time I was measured I was 6 foot 4Ē. I don't think I've grown since then.

Motorcycle Accident

I was involved in a motorcycle accident and injured my foot last year. It was shortly before Pakistan Under 19ís tour of England and unfortunately I had to miss that tour. It was a tour that I was really looking forward to but as luck would have it, I had to take medical advice and rest the injury.

Tri Series in the UAE

I was pleased with my efforts in the tri series against UAE and England. I felt I bowled quite well and the series really boosted my confidence ahead of the Under 19 World Cup. I wasnít part of the Asia Cup squad as the selectors decided beforehand that some players would be rested for the Asia Cup. Itís one of those things that you want to play all of the time but itís understandable that the selectors want to try out as many players as possible.

Favourite Bowler

Mohammad Asif. I know heís had some problems over the years, but he was a fantastic bowler. Asif was a real magician with the ball, a bowler who was so skilful with the new ball and the old ball. He really had that ability to work out batsmen and was quick to assess what the batsmenís weaknesses were. By watching videos of his bowling, you can learn so much about the art of bowling.

Bowling Style

Iím fortunate enough to have the height advantage and can extract bounce from most surfaces. Iím also able to seam and swing the ball and have been working with my coaches particularly on reverse swing. At my age there are still so many areas to work on and develop as a bowler but fortunately I feel that the basics are there and itís a question of developing myself and pushing myself to improve.

Under 19 World Cup

I feel we have a very good chance of lifting the World Cup. We have a very good all round squad and confidence is high. We have three matches against Afghanistan Under 19s coming up in the next few days in Lahore and that is good preparation.

The conditions in UAE will suit us and Iím confident that we can achieve our goal and win the prestigious World Cup. Pakistan has a rich tradition in this tournament and I hope that we can come back to Pakistan with the trophy.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good lad. Obviously has talent. Wish him all the best. Insha Allah he will continue to improve and represent Pakistan in the near future.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Venue
    The Eurasian Plate
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he can even develop half of the skills Asif had with the ball he could be a really good prospect. Wish him the best of luck!

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is a good bowler and is very accurate with his line and length. Gets bounce from good length.

#1 FAN AND DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF SHAHZAIB HASSAN

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I spoke with one of the Under 19 batsmen who face Irfanullah and the other bowlers on a regular basis. He stated that Zia ul Haq is the quickest of this group, then it's Irfanullah and Aftab.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great to hear he has a good height. Hope he work's hard and prove's to be an asset for Pakistan in the future. Good luck to him.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I spoke with one of the Under 19 batsmen who face Irfanullah and the other bowlers on a regular basis. He stated that Zia ul Haq is the quickest of this group, then it's Irfanullah and Aftab.
    Don't want to derail the thread, just wanted to know your opinion on Zia, and when you think he will be ready for Intl cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaudrySaab View Post
    Don't want to derail the thread, just wanted to know your opinion on Zia, and when you think he will be ready for Intl cricket.
    Difficult to predict really.

Zia looked good here in England last year. Quick and moving the ball around.

I think he'll play international cricket one day but at the moment there are plenty ahead of him.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds good.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    From what i saw in England tour

Zia's pace: 84-85 mph

Aftab's pace : 79-80 mph

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irfanullah Shah Before MotorCycle Accident Was Way better bowler

Anyway he still One of the best fast Bowler at Un-19 Level

Irfan Shah and Owais Munir both were in Pakistan UN-19 Squad for England Tour

but sadly Both get Injured

last Time at Trail,s Owais Munir was Fastest Bowler among all even Bowl fast than Zia ul haq from what i heard

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has te basics in good line and length according to a poster. If he adds some pace to his game and continues working on his swing, he will be a good bowler for us.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaudrySaab View Post
    Difficult to predict really.

Zia looked good here in England last year. Quick and moving the ball around.

I think he'll play international cricket one day but at the moment there are plenty ahead of him.
    Zia ul haq Will play For Pakistan team soon

i heard Zia ul haq has Developed Inswing for Right hand Batsman seen Video of his Bowling Recently he was Bowling few Inswinger,s

This is Great Great Sign

Zia ul haq will do Debut for Pakistan Next year Hopefully after WC-15

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HASHAM2 View Post
    Zia ul haq Will play For Pakistan team soon

i heard Zia ul haq has Developed Inswing for Right hand Batsman seen Video of his Bowling Recently he was Bowling few Inswinger,s

This is Great Great Sign

Zia ul haq will do Debut for Pakistan Next year Hopefully after WC-15
    would be great if you could share the videos.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like a slower and inaccurate version of Ehsan Fail , really depressing to see fast bowling dying in Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice guy and the opposite of Steyn when it comes to aggression.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be no where near the h19 side I would be surprise if he touched 125kph in his spell.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Should be no where near the h19 side I would be surprise if he touched 125kph in his spell.
    Pace will Come with Time

He was Faster before Injured

Me not seen him Bowl Today

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pace will Come with Time

He was Faster before Injured

Me not seen him Bowl Today
    He is bowling slightly quicker than Ganguly.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowled 88mph Bouncer from No where According to PTV Speed Gun

Overall 125-127kph Average Pace

Need to Bulk Up he is extremely Skinny

Irfan Shah is Strength is His accuracy and Swing (Which has Impressed me)

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowled 88mph Bouncer from No where According to PTV Speed Gun

Overall 125-127kph Average Pace

Need to Bulk Up he is extremely Skinny

Irfan Shah is Strength is His accuracy and Swing (Which has Impressed me)
    Not sure what u have seen he is not accurate at all.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what u have seen he is not accurate at all.
    i has Watched his 2nd Spell

not seen first one

he was Very Accurate with his Line and Length in 2nd Spell

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I have never seen him, but judging by the comments, although i was initially hopeful, I'm disappointed if he has <130kph pace. Simply not enough pace to trouble an international batsman. And if you think pace will come with time, it will not miraculously come to him. Some bowlers, regardless if fitness can not naturally bowl at high speeds. Otherwise all international bowlers would be fast, including the Indians.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by as-95 View Post
    Well, I have never seen him, but judging by the comments, although i was initially hopeful, I'm disappointed if he has <130kph pace. Simply not enough pace to trouble an international batsman. And if you think pace will come with time, it will not miraculously come to him. Some bowlers, regardless if fitness can not naturally bowl at high speeds. Otherwise all international bowlers would be fast, including the Indians.
    Philander Number-1 Test Bowler has 128-130kph pace

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philander Number-1 Test Bowler has 128-130kph pace
    Sa pitch advantage notwithstanding philander is an exception, his seam movement is consistent and he knows how to get top batsmen out. there are pbly 20 or 30 decent bowlers in county alone who get decent movement at around 80 mph but none has the success of philander.

you hardly get anything from most contemporary test pitches unless you bowl slowest 83, 84 mph (so that is min average of around 85, 86 mph).
    Last edited by ElRaja; 21st January 2014 at 16:45.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The way Afghani batsmen dancing down and hitting him for boundary was a terrible sight. Just no pace even to trouble minnow u19.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Another of the young hopefuls and definitely a quick bowler to watch out for at the u19 World Cup.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Another of the young hopefuls and definitely a quick bowler to watch out for at the u19 World Cup.
    Would be great if this tournament could be the basis of a successful career.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately too many trundlers coming through the ranks.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, too many Trundlers. In fact, our spinners look more promising than the pace bowlers in u19's. Although having good spinners is always a positive, lack of fast bowling talent in u19 Pak cricket is a sorry sight.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowled beautifully today.

#1 FAN AND DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF SHAHZAIB HASSAN

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    He looked the best of the Pakistani seamers today.

Also bowled some good Yorkers at the end of the Indian innings.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Looks the goods, he was definitely the most impressive seamer for Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowled very well. He is tall and stuck to good line and length.

At 19, he is bowling at 128k's which is a lot faster than Indian trundlers.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Unfortunately too many trundlers coming through the ranks.

Please give this poor Irfan some guidance to improve his Speed, Mr. Marshall.

"Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    The Picture of the day

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1024 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Why is he not in any of peshawar or abbotabad squad ? Is he unfit ? @HASHAM2

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he isnt that good he bowls at 118-120 pace and he plays for fata cheetas who havemt qualified