Debut
    Oct 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistani footballer Muhammad Adil signs for Kyrgyz club Dordoi Bishkek

Once a fruit wonder as a schoolboy now following his dream of playing professional football.

Umad Wasim: Dawn

LAHORE: For Mohammad Adil, it’s a step towards achieving his dream; a step towards playing in the AFC Champions League. The Khan Research Laboratories (KRL) winger has signed a professional contract with Kyrgyzstan champions FC Dordoi, becoming the first export from the Pakistan Premier Football League (PPFL).

Adil, 21, has been the star performer for the club and country over the last two years.
    A part of the KRL squad which won back-to-back PPFL titles in 2011-2012 and 2012-13 — and seemingly heading towards their third successive crown — the nifty player shot to fame for his exploits in the AFC President’s Cup during KRL’s run to the final last season.
    Impressive in their first outing against Dordoi in the preliminary stage of Asia’s third-tier club competition which ended in a 1-1 draw, Adil made the decisive assist in their second game against the Kyrgz side which helped the KRL to a 1-0 victory in the final group stage.

He showed his tenacity at ripping apart defences in the very next match when he went past three defenders to score in a 2-0 victory for the KRL against Palestenian side Hilal-Al Quds which put them in the final where they lost to Balkan FC.
    Those performances — which followed his good showing for Pakistan against Kyrgyzstan in their qualifier for the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup — convinced Dordoi that Adil was the man they wanted.
    “This is a great move for Pakistan football,” Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) secretary Col Ahmed Yar Khan Lodhi told Dawn on Thursday. “It will give him [Adil] a chance to rub his shoulders with the best and hopefully pave the way for other players from the country to go abroad as well.”
    KRL head coach Tariq Lutfi echoed Lodhi’s views.
    “It is an unprecedented transfer,” Lutfi told Dawn on Thursday. “This will hopefully help Pakistan football get noticed in Asia and it shows that the players we are producing are attracting interest of bigger clubs in the continent.”

Another factor which contributed to the move was Pakistan’s former head coach Zavisa Milosavljevic of Serbia joining the eight-time Kyrgyz champions earlier this month.
    “Milosavljevic liked my playing style when he was Pakistan coach,” Adil, who leaves for Kyrgyzstan on Friday, told Dawn on Thursday. “There had been initial contact by Dordoi but after Milosavljevic’s appointment, the negotiations were done quickly.”

The transfer represents a fairytale story for Adil, who used to sell fruits on his cart during his school days in Bahawalpur. “It’s difficult for me to describe my feelings in words,” he said. “I’ve come a long way from my very humble beginnings but my passion for football — and to be one of Pakistan’s top players — kept me going.

“I used to go to school, with my cart and my books,” he recalled. “Those were difficult days but I always found time to play football and the turning point came when Pakistan Elektron Limited (PEL) signed me up.”
    PEL were relegated from the PPFL in Adil’s first season with the club in 2009-10 but his eye-catching displays meant KRL came calling a year later.
    Since then, his stock has risen further. “Now I have the chance to play professional football and play at the highest level in Asia,” Adil said. “I hope to prove myself at Dordoi.”

Prove, he will have to. Adil joins the two-time AFC President’s Cup winners as a replacement for attacking forward Mirlan Murzaev, top-scorer in last season’s President’s Cup with nine goals, who has left for Turkish second division side Denizlspor.

“I’ll have to perform consistently as there are a lot of expectations from me,” said Adil, who might also be joined by fellow Pakistan team-mate Hassan Bashir at Dordoi.
    Milosavljevic has shown an interest in the Denmark-based Pakistan international striker, according to sources within the Pakistan Football Federation (PFF).
    With Dordoi having finished second in the Kyrgyzstan League to Alay Osh last season, they will miss out on Asian competition in Adil’s first season with the club.

With Kyrgyzstan being allotted a spot in the AFC Cup — Asia’s second-tier club competition — after Asian Football Confederation’s revamp of its events last, Alay Osh will represent their country at the continental level.

Adil, however, his hopeful he will help restore Dordoi’s position as Kyrgyzstan’s best side and fulfil his dream of one day playing in Asia’s elite club tournament — the AFC Champions League.

“I’ll try my best to win the domestic title with Dordoi this season,” he said. “Hopefully, that will provide me with the opportunity to test myself further in the AFC Cup and give me a chance of playing in the Champions League one day.”
    Adil’s transfer comes almost three years after Wapda duo of Naveed Akram and Mehmood Ali were signed by Nepal’s Saroswati FC on a two-month loan deal in May 2011.

However, what makes Adil’s switch stand out is that he’s been offered a one-year professional contract.“It will be difficult for us to lose such a star player who has performed well internationally,” KRL manager Ayaz Butt told Dawn on Thursday.

“Nonetheless it is a big honour for us that a player from our team has been taken by a club abroad. That will only enhance the profile of the club and it reflects the work that we’ve been doing in recent years.”

Some highlights of Adil in action for KRL and Pakistan over recent years.

http://vimeo.com/84788651

can the mods embed the video? thanks
    Last edited by Faisalabad; 1st February 2014 at 11:50.

Debut
    Oct 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://tribune.com.pk/story/667857/s...football-club/

KARACHI: Footballer Mohammad Adil is set to complete a remarkable journey and fulfil his dream of playing for a foreign club, after an impoverished beginning selling sugarcane on the streets.
    The 21-year-old has signed a one-year contract with Kyrgyzstan champions FC Dordoi to cap a fairytale rise that has seen him touted as one of the best players ever produced by the Pakistan Premier League.
    “It hasn’t sunk in yet,” the winger told AFP by telephone from Lahore before his departure. “I am over the moon and very excited that my hard work has paid off.”
    Even top-flight football in cricket-mad Pakistan is of a low standard and it is extremely unusual for a player produced by its leagues to move abroad.

Adil hails from a small town near the agricultural city of Bahawalpur in Punjab, where his father used to sell sugarcane.
    As a boy, he would wheel a sugarcane cart to school, carrying his books and a tattered football.“Those were very difficult days,” remembered Adil. “I wanted to study and play but I had to take the cart to sell sugarcane after school and then in the little time I used to play football.”

Noticing his interest in football, his father encouraged him and Adil took big strides from small clubs to Khan Research Laboratories (KRL) – one of Pakistan’s top teams.
    KRL coach Tariq Lutfi said Adil was a natural talent.
    “Adil came to us as an exciting player, willing to achieve his football dreams,” Lutfi said.
    “For the last three years he has been an integral part of KRL and we are now close to achieving a hat-trick of league titles and Adil has a major hand in it.”
    Adil’s main asset is his speed which he uses to make marauding runs at the opposition and set up team-mates.

He was KRL’s best player as the club finished runners-up in the Asian Football Confederation President Cup last year.
    He helped KRL draw 1-1 against Dordoi, then scored a scintillating goal in the 2-0 win over Palestinian club Hilal-Al Quds before they lost the final.

That, plus another fine show in a AFC Challenge Cup qualifier against Kyrgyzstan, caught the eye of the Dordoi hierarchy.
    “Luckily for me, Pakistan’s former coach Zavisa Milosavljevic (from Serbia) has taken over Dordoi club and since he liked my style he completed my signing and it would be great to play under him,” said Adil, who idolises Argentinian star Carlos Tevez.
    “I like the way Tevez plays and once a Dutch coach told me that I play like him which is the biggest compliment I have received, but I have a long way to reach his standards.”
    A stint with Dordoi will help Adil improve his stature as well as his living standard.

The selfless star says he wants to use some of his new pay packet to send his father on pilgrimage to Mecca.
    “I am sure this contract will help me send my father to Haj and help my brother who also loves playing football,” said Adil.
    “It will also help boost our football and the Asian clubs will get to know that we are also progressing well.”

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    WOW awesome....Hope we can see more of this in the future. Im sure there is a lot of footballing talent in Pakistan

Interested in talking about your own game? Click on My Cricket

Follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4755 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Brilliant! I hope he performs and can eventually play in Europe.

Would be great for Pakistani football and youngsters to have someone to look up to.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Didn't some Pakistani or Pakistani born defender sign for Fulham a few years back?

I remember something like that.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Didn't some Pakistani or Pakistani born defender sign for Fulham a few years back?

I remember something like that.
    Zesh Rehman came through Fulham's youth system. Now he plays in some rubbish league in East Asia.

Debut
    Oct 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zesh was british born and came through fulham set up.. still not doing too bad in asia.. playing in malaysian league.. played vs aimar today... here in uk he was going down the leagu.. over there hes winning trophies and earning championship level wages.. not a bad choice he made few years ago.

Debut
    Oct 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another write up on Express Tribune blog by a colleague... not the best of headlines decided by Tribune i must say..

What does sugarcane have in common with football? Answer: Mohammad Adil

Swift pace. Check.

Speed. Check.

Stocky build. Check.

No, I am not talking about Carlos Tevez; this is Mohammad Adil, the star winger of the Pakistan national football team and the new signing of the Kyrgyzstan league giants, Dordoi Bishkek.

Adil, a blistering winger with bags of pace and skill, who lit up the SAFF Championship 2013, reached the final of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Presidents Cup with KRL FC and attracted attention from several clubs in Nepal and Palestine in 2013.

Belonging to a country where the domestic structure for football provides very little for player development and talent polishing, Adil and his achievements are a testament of his struggles. However, he has clearly proven that hard work and a desire to succeed is a perfect recipe for success.

Kecik (L) shoots after dodging Pakistan’s Ansar Abbas (C), Muhammad Adil (R) and Mohammad Touseef. Photo: AFP
    There were many hardships along the way for this talented 21-year-old. During his school days, he used to sell fruits and sugarcanes, going around the streets of Bahawalpur with his cart, to financially support his family. However, whenever he found the time, he would play football to feed his passion.

His talent was scouted early when he got selected for the regional team in the National U-14 Championships in 2006. He eventually impressed the coaches to secure a call-up for the Pakistan U-14 side that took part in AFC Festival of Football in Bangladesh.

International exposure, coupled with Adil’s burgeoning talents, meant that he was on his way to quickly graduating onto the senior levels – the U-16, U-19 and U-21 sides – where eventually, his abilities caught the eye of PEL FC. The football club provided the youngster with a substantial salary and a chance to mould himself into a professional.

Adil, excited to see such promising prospects offered to him, jumped at the chance and joined the Lahore-based Pakistan Premier League side in the 2009/10 campaign. The impact was instant as he played in nearly 30 games during the course of the season and was eventually drafted into the 2010 Asian Games squad.

Mohamad Fandi Othman of Malaysia fights for the ball with Pakistan’s Muhammad Adil. Photo: Reuters
    Playing alongside senior lads and impressing everyone with his speed, the Bahawalpur native was once again on the move in 2010. He joined the reigning champions, KRL FC, as they launched an assault on the Pakistan Premier Football League (PPFL) title.

That move changed everything for Adil. He was called up by the Pakistan national team in 2011 and made his debut against Turkmenistan in the AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers in March. He later played in the FIFA World Cup qualifiers and the SAFF Championship as well, but his moment of glory on the International stage came when he performed exceptionally well in KRL’s AFC Presidents Cup tie, against Erchim FC of Mongolia in 2012.

The game, hosted in Lahore, proved to a major turning point for Adil as he ran riot on the flank and showcased an abundance of vision, power, speed and his hallmark move, the ‘step over’.

Just like Portuguese star Cristiano Ronaldo, Adil’s quick burst of speed and change in direction became a nightmare for full-backs and the diminutive star continued to make new in-roads.

Whenever Pakistan played, Adil was on the team sheet. Whenever KRL played, Adil was there to give defenders a run for their money. And through consistent performances, the attacker started gaining attention from clubs outside the country.

Footballer Mohammad Adil. PHOTO: AFP
    This wasn’t the first time a Pakistani player had been scouted from foreign clubs. Current captain Samar Ishaq was offered a contract by a Syrian club in 2006, while goalkeeper Jaffar Khan was scouted by a Korean second division club, only to be denied by his superiors at the Army Football Club in 2001. The likes of Kaleemullah and Muhammad Rasool have also gathered interest from Nepal and Iran recently; however, these players have turned them down in favour of their current jobs.

Adil, unlike the rest, was determined not to let obstacles block his move and worked tirelessly to secure his transfer.

Many sides were chasing his signature and Nepal’s Macchindra FC even offered a contract, but the winger was determined to get a more lucrative deal. Finally, it was when Dordoi Bishkek offered their agreement that this talented winger signed away his game and his future to the Kyrgyzstani football club.

Players in Pakistan are usually content with a domestic sport job for life and don’t wish to get out of their comfort zone or play in a competitive environment. Sometimes, they don’t have the vision to understand what a stint abroad can do for their careers.

Adil stands as an example for youngsters, who constantly watch European football and only dream of making it as a professional. Adil has proven that not only does our country have talent, but that one can make a career out of the beautiful game in Pakistan if one works hard enough.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like Dordoi Bishkek have earned themself a new fan