Waqar Younis shows his availability to become head coach


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    30,542
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Waqar Younis shows his availability to become head coach

    Lahore: Pakistan former Yorker specialist Waqar Younis has sent the application to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for availability as head coach of Pakistan Cricket Team here on Saturday.

    The PCB gave advertise for searching the coaching staff on April 17 (Thursday).

    While talking to media, Waqar Younis said that it would be an honour for his if the PCB provided him a duty of head coach.

    Waqar further said that the contract of Bangal Cricket Association would not disturb with head coach post.

    “Earlier, board not gave me a duty but I have not complaint from the PCB,” he said.

    “I am ready every time for helping the Pakistan Cricket team,” he said.
    http://www.thenewstribe.com/2014/04/...me-head-coach/

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    96,073
    Mentioned
    7887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    He really wants the job. He was declined only a couple of months ago and other seniors would have been bitter about it but he has put his who aside.

    I liked the Pakistan team headed by Afridi and Waqar.

    But I don't want Afridi at helm again. His vibrant personality is refreshing for the short term but he isn't a long term solution.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    7,133
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Waqar Younis shows his availability to become head coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He really wants the job. He was declined only a couple of months ago and other seniors would have been bitter about it but he has put his who aside.

    I liked the Pakistan team headed by Afridi and Waqar.

    But I don't want Afridi at helm again. His vibrant personality is refreshing for the short term but he isn't a long term solution.

    Afridi as captain? Come on, are you kidding me...

    In last 10-15 years Pakistan has made investments in players who were test rejects (Afridi, Razaq,malik, Gul, Hafeez, Farhat etc). This list is long. You cannot develop a world class team build around players who cannot play test cricket.

    Look at Pakistan ODI bowling attack, Ajmal, Gul, Hafeez, Afridi. Three of them cannot bowl in test. This attack is tailor made for Asian conditions, yet we are the worst Asian team.

    These guys not only are defensive bowling options, but they weaken the batting as well. Hafeez has forever destroyed the top order, he is not a top order batsman, he just cannot play fast bowling, anything above 130 he struggles, if it is 140 plus, he might wet his pants.

    Afridi is very weak finisher, works only against spin, which they rarely give him. He plays short ball on the rise and at font foot, easy picking for any team. Couple of sixes here and there against spin and people think of him as the best thing ever.

    Gul is a brainless bowler that's why he does not play test, well brain is needed in every format. After his injury he is even worse. Rather than giving Junaid more chances they invested in gul.

    Now 2015 WC is in completely different conditions. If we are worst in Asia, what we will be in AUS? - this team is not built for green and bounce.

    Pakistani fans need to think about substance not Tulas and test rejects, another decade is wasted in junk players!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    If you want to do things that are certain to succeed, you are doing very obvious thing - E Musk

  4. #4
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,817
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So lala goes... Probably the only positive I can think of wiqy coming apart from the bowling improving. What's the role of Muhammad Akram then; marking bowlers' run up, keeping the cones, stop watch etc.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    13,536
    Mentioned
    1927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He might just solve our bowling problems!.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    413
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why did Waqar leave the last time?

  7. #7
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,817
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakZameen View Post
    Why did Waqar leave the last time?
    Mini revolt, courtesy lala.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,817
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is believed that during the wi tour in June 2011 afridi threw a match when the rain came by bowling a long hop to bravo to express his anger, animosity toward waqar.
    This is what happened....

    we are into the last 10. Rain is hovering around. Interesting, interesting situation. West Indies have the advantage of knowing what exactly they need to do. Afridi brings himself on
    29.1
    Shahid Afridi to DJ Bravo, no run, short legbreak, stays back and defends
    Sammy is animated in the players' balcony
    29.2
    Shahid Afridi to DJ Bravo, no run, another dot, quick legbreak, open face
    Sammy and Gibson gesture from the gallery. West Indies behind on D/L
    29.3
    Shahid Afridi to DJ Bravo, SIX, and now they are well ahead of D/L. Long hop, and Bravo pulls it over midwicket. What a well-timed six. Could be the match-winning six. Sammy and Gibson applaud, and then signal a forward defensive. "keep the wicket for the rest of the over."
    29.4
    Shahid Afridi to DJ Bravo, no run, forward defensive it is
    29.5
    Shahid Afridi to DJ Bravo, no run, full and straight, another defensive shot
    That's all we have for you. Hope you enjoyed the cricket. Cheers

  9. #9
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    8,484
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm so he brushes aside all the questions over his commitments with BCA and TV channels.


    #1 FAN AND DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF SHAHZAIB HASSAN

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    16,484
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respect !
    The only pak legend willing to help pak cricket.

    parosee lover wasim could learn from him.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    15,308
    Mentioned
    3409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Well, we might see some real bowling now.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    19,193
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope he becomes the head coach.

    The team was doing brilliant under him, did OKAY in World Cup, fast bowlers were also decent. We produced a gem in Amir. They used to bowl fuller and could swing the new ball.

    Hopefully our bowlers will be able to gain some skills and rhythm back with his input to bowling as well.

    Waqar will also control Afridi and his grouping/lobbying that is cancer to the team.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Garhwal Kingdom
    Runs
    10,600
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I usually don't rate coaching at this level, but he can only help. Good luck Juni.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    102,760
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He is desperate to become Head Coach .

    If he really wants to help the Team , why Not become Bowling coach and do things that he is good at ?

    Why he wants to make Tactical blunders and hurt the team even further?

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Venue
    united Kingdom
    Runs
    2,248
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The thing I like about Waqar is his willingness to coach the pakistani team. I mean considering the egos of our 'legends', none of them would have applied having been rejected a couple of months back. He's willing to leave aside his commentary stint to coach pakistan, great.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    4,077
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For God's sake, NO! NO! and NO!!!

    His total capability is to become a part time pace bowling consultant AND THAT'S IT !!

  17. #17
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    17,108
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnykhan View Post
    Hmm so he brushes aside all the questions over his commitments with BCA and TV channels.
    No he didnt. He said that the agreement is for him to be available for coaching in bengal for 40 days a year, and those 40 days can be split up. SO it wont be an issue.

    Waqar should be appointed as the head coach. He wasnt tactically the best, but he held the team together after spot fixing, and fast bowlers were doing well under him. Heck, even the useless Gul was a better bowler under Waqar. All he needs is a good batting coach to help him out.

    The guy clearly holds coaching pakistan over any other commitment, be it TV or coaching other teams. Compare that to other ex-pak players who can only give statements.
    Last edited by waqar_ahmad; 19th April 2014 at 22:38.


    Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

  18. #18
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,817
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
    For God's sake, NO! NO! and NO!!!

    His total capability is to become a part time pace bowling consultant AND THAT'S IT !!
    Still better than moin.

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    3,548
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope he gets the job....


    PRAY YOUR NAMAAZ BEFORE NAMAAZ (JANAZA) IS PRAYED OVER YOU

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    8,484
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar_ahmad View Post
    No he didnt. He said that the agreement is for him to be available for coaching in bengal for 40 days a year, and those 40 days can be split up. SO it wont be an issue.

    Waqar should be appointed as the head coach. He wasnt tactically the best, but he held the team together after spot fixing, and fast bowlers were doing well under him. Heck, even the useless Gul was a better bowler under Waqar. All he needs is a good batting coach to help him out.

    The guy clearly holds coaching pakistan over any other commitment, be it TV or coaching other teams. Compare that to other ex-pak players who can only give statements.
    Hmmm... Well, I think he shouldn't become the head coach.


    #1 FAN AND DIE HARD SUPPORTER OF SHAHZAIB HASSAN

  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    12,882
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Bowling coach would've been better but I'd still take this, in hopes that he can help restore our struggling pacemen before the WC

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    5,404
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not a fan of him being the head coach at all. he hardly has any experience for it. he ran with his tail between his legs for some mysterious reason last time, worryingly after the whole spot fixing debacle.

    and of course the whole fixing scandal happened under his watch.

    i think everyone is pretty much agreed that he was a superb bowling coach when that crook naseem ashraf was at the helm of the pcb, before a clash of egos and unprofessionalism on the chairmans part caused a break in the appointment.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    102,760
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Making a head coach is like trying to make sohail Tanvir a fielding coach.

    Its no rocket science , he is just not competent enough, we have to accept this , and He also has to accept.

    He will be a big step backwards

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please Nooooooooooo..........Waqar was an extremely ordinary coach who refused to learn from his mistakes & the guy is the biggest hypocrite..sitting from the commentary box he says that Umar Akmal should be tried up the order and said when he was coach Umar Akmal was given the chance to bat up the order which was definitely not the case.

    Furthermore, batting needs working and for that he cant do jack

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    1,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan needs to take the english approach..team director than specialist coaches for batting, bowling, and fielding

  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    30,542
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    According to Jang News, PCB has decided to appoint Waqar Younis as head coach, Moin Khan as chief selector, Mushtaq Ahmed as a spin consultant and Inzi as a batting coach.

  27. #27
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    19,529
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    According to Jang News, PCB has decided to appoint Waqar Younis as head coach, Moin Khan as chief selector, Mushtaq Ahmed as a spin consultant and Inzi as a batting coach.
    If true, then isn't this wonderful? Don't hire proper coaches because it's more important to continue the tradition of ex-players hopping on and off the gravy train as their mood dictates.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    15,308
    Mentioned
    3409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    What's this problem with Afridi?


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    14,947
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Why our players can not work under someone or work for junior team? Always they want superior job and better money. Australia and South Africa's former players or coaches always interested to work on junior teams for the development of cricket. So sad to see Aaqib left for UAE team for more money. He could get little bit lesser money in Pakistan and develop our cricket. Our senior players are a big hypocrite to show patriotism. Either they want to be boss or rather leave to help other countries. They just need to be humble.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    102,760
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Why our players can not work under someone or work for junior team? Always they want superior job and better money. Australia and South Africa's former players or coaches always interested to work on junior teams for the development of cricket. So sad to see Aaqib left for UAE team for more money. He could get little bit lesser money in Pakistan and develop our cricket. Our senior players are a big hypocrite to show patriotism. Either they want to be boss or rather leave to help other countries. They just need to be humble.
    great point.

    These former players are selfish to the core and have big egos.


    Fear the Creator ..... not the created.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    4,565
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    He is desperate to become Head Coach .

    If he really wants to help the Team , why Not become Bowling coach and do things that he is good at ?

    Why he wants to make Tactical blunders and hurt the team even further?
    Actually at the moment bowling coach post is not vacant. It will be good to see Waqar as head coach. And kicking TTFs etc out of team.

    Also only waqar has courage to end the grouping created by which is cancer for pak team.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    11,852
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yasir View Post
    Afridi as captain? Come on, are you kidding me...

    In last 10-15 years Pakistan has made investments in players who were test rejects (Afridi, Razaq,malik, Gul, Hafeez, Farhat etc). This list is long. You cannot develop a world class team build around players who cannot play test cricket.

    Look at Pakistan ODI bowling attack, Ajmal, Gul, Hafeez, Afridi. Three of them cannot bowl in test. This attack is tailor made for Asian conditions, yet we are the worst Asian team.

    These guys not only are defensive bowling options, but they weaken the batting as well. Hafeez has forever destroyed the top order, he is not a top order batsman, he just cannot play fast bowling, anything above 130 he struggles, if it is 140 plus, he might wet his pants.

    Afridi is very weak finisher, works only against spin, which they rarely give him. He plays short ball on the rise and at font foot, easy picking for any team. Couple of sixes here and there against spin and people think of him as the best thing ever.

    Gul is a brainless bowler that's why he does not play test, well brain is needed in every format. After his injury he is even worse. Rather than giving Junaid more chances they invested in gul.

    Now 2015 WC is in completely different conditions. If we are worst in Asia, what we will be in AUS? - this team is not built for green and bounce.

    Pakistani fans need to think about substance not Tulas and test rejects, another decade is wasted in junk players!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Well said!

  33. #33
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,701
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Waqar would be a good choice IMO.

    Then we need either U.Akmal or Shehzad as captain.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    11,852
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar would be the best coach imo.

    His analysis in during his commentary stint have always be encouraging.

    And he has been keeping an eye on all of the talent of this team.

    Best placed to be the coach. Because half the team he already worked with back during his coaching stint.

    Plus he probably has more knowledge abt the Pakistan team because he sees them first hand.

    Rather than some of the other ex cricketers like wasim shoaib akhtar Mohammad yousuf imran khan javed miandad. Who sit and comment abt the team while watching them on tv. Barely know abt any of the talent and the potential that some of the players have.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    11,852
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    Making a head coach is like trying to make sohail Tanvir a fielding coach.

    Its no rocket science , he is just not competent enough, we have to accept this , and He also has to accept.

    He will be a big step backwards
    Do you really think a coach needs to teach all the 11 players how to play?

    A coach only builds a strategy. Everything else is done by the captain.

    The strategies under waqar younis have been decent.

    3-2 series loss vs England in England in the Odis.

    3-1 test series lost. Where we won a test match with literally novices in our batting lineup.

    3-2 Series loss vs south Africa in uae. It was good aggressive cricket played by the team.

    Series victory vs newsealand in 2011. Test and Odis.

    We chased down a big 260 odd vs the nz bowling attack in NZ.

    In the test matches our bowling was decent even though it was our second string.

    Gul wahab and I don't remember the 3rd seamer.

    Overall his impact on the bowling attack was really positive.

    Afridi and misbahs captaincy must be credited. They worked with him well until things got bad.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    21,814
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    only god thing is that Waqar as coach is >> than Moin

    Moin was in same bracket like Mohsin Khan (God help us) atleast Waqar has some strategies n plan no matter how outdated or ridiculous they will be still better


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •