Instagram


Indoor Big Bash

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Thread: Urdu Idioms

Results 1 to 68 of 68
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    This thread is to learn Urdu idioms as it makes your conversation more rich in meaning..

    Here you can see some

    Aab-o-dana uth jana=Zindagi kay din pure ho jana.

    Aasmaan sar par utha lena=Bohat zada shor karna

    Apna ullo seedha karna=Apna matlab nikalna.

    Baat ka batangar banana=Barha charha kar byan karna.

    Baal baal bachna=Bari mushkil sa bachana.

    Bagh bagh homa=Boht khush hona.

    Share yours and I will share more later.
    Last edited by DHONI183; 28th May 2014 at 16:21. Reason: As requested by the user herself


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    18,189
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Adha teetar adha batair = When one tries to imitate somebody and loses his identity

    Sabz Badh dekhana = trying to deceive somebody

    Oont (Camel) k mo mai zeera = when something is not sufficient

    kuttey ki dum hamesha terhi hi rhe gi = when something cannot be corrected/altered


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kianig89 View Post
    Adha teetar adha batair = When one tries to imitate somebody and loses his identity

    Sabz Badh dekhana = trying to deceive somebody

    Oont (Camel) k mo mai zeera = when something is not sufficient

    kuttey ki dum hamesha terhi hi rhe gi = when something cannot be corrected/altered
    Good addition.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  4. #4
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    16,339
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Nice Thread

    I would like to hear more of those


    "Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting.”

  5. #5
    Debut
    Apr 2014
    Venue
    One State, Many Worlds!
    Runs
    29
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nau, do, gyaaraa honaa - to run away

    It is in Hindi but I'm sure must be on the list of Urdu speakers as well.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,249
    Mentioned
    3405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Can someone tell me what:

    1. Ghar ki murghi daal barabar hona,

    and,

    2. Dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghaat ka,

    mean?


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,261
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Can someone tell me what:

    1. Ghar ki murghi daal barabar hona,

    and,

    2. Dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghaat ka,

    mean?
    The first one means that the things a person possesses are always undermined and not valued, while the possessions of others always seem to be better. It is used in the same way as the English proverb "the grass is greener on the other side".

    The second one means that a person is stuck between two things; he is neither here nor there.
    Last edited by Pakistani_Legend; 24th May 2014 at 15:49.


    "Don't just raise the standard, be the standard."

  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,249
    Mentioned
    3405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    The first one means that the things a person possesses are always undermined and not valued, while the possessions of others always seem to be better. It is used in the same way as the English proverb "the grass is greener on the other side".

    The second one means that a person is stuck between two things; he is neither here nor there.
    Thanks, bro.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,261
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Thanks, bro.
    No problem, baaji. You can always ask for help in Urdu.


    "Don't just raise the standard, be the standard."

  10. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    18,189
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Gadhay (Donkey) k sar se seeng gaib hona - When all of a sudden something is missing

    Aik panth do kaaj - killing 2 birds with 1 stone

    Apne moo mian mithoo hona - Praising yourself

    haathi k daant dikhane k or khane k or - All that glitters is not gold


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  11. #11
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bakre ki jaan gayi kha ne wale ko swaad nahi aya

  12. #12
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Jiske ghar Daane unke kamle nhi siyaane

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    Jiske ghar Daane unke kamle nhi siyaane
    Bhi


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  14. #14
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,261
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Please provide the meanings of the idioms mentioned above.


    "Don't just raise the standard, be the standard."

  15. #15
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Please provide the meanings of the idioms mentioned above.
    Don't know about the first one,meaning of the other one is Those who are rich are considered right,no matter what they say,even rubbish


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,261
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    Don't know about the first one,meaning of the other one is Those who are rich are considered right,no matter what they say,even rubbish
    Thanks.


    "Don't just raise the standard, be the standard."

  17. #17
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Thanks.
    You're welcome.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  18. #18
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first idiom means that the life of a Goat is gone but still eaters didn't like the meat of it

  19. #19
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    The first idiom means that the life of a Goat is gone but still eaters didn't like the meat of it
    Please explain it.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    17,700
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Is Khasman nu Khao an idiom?


    Quote Originally Posted by La Haine movie
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien. L'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

  21. #21
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like if someone orders McDonald for you for 1000 rupees but you did not liked it

  22. #22
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,261
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs View Post
    Is Khasman nu Khao an idiom?
    Brilliant!


    "Don't just raise the standard, be the standard."

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebreaker View Post
    Like if someone orders McDonald for you for 1000 rupees but you did not liked it
    Okay thanks.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs View Post
    Is Khasman nu Khao an idiom?
    probably a punjabi idiom.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  25. #25
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    18,189
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    baigani Shaadi mai Andullah dewana - When somebody gets too excited on irrelevant stuff

    Koyloon ki dallali mai apna hi moo kaala - One would get in trouble while doing some tricky/dirty work

    Hatheli pe sarsoo jamana - Building castles in air


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs View Post
    Is Khasman nu Khao an idiom?
    "Eat your lover!"

    Another version is, "Khasmaa`n da sarr kha!", meaning, "Eat your lover's head!"


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    17,700
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This thread has provided hours of entertainment with the family.

    I'd encourage all the young posters here to sit with thread open and ask their parents about these.

    Guaranteed lols and a good time.


    Quote Originally Posted by La Haine movie
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien. L'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    It feels nice to see that I knew most of the ones mentioned here.

    "Bandar kya jaaney adrak ka sawaad (how would a monkey know the taste of ginger)?"

    Used to taunt a person not being in a position to judge the value of something.

    "How would @Saqs bhai know the value of MS Dhoni?"


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  29. #29
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    900 choohe kha ke billi hajj ko chali

  30. #30
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Naak par makhi na bethne dena: to be very proudy.

    Maindaki ko zukaam hona: to talk more than one's status.

    Ghoray baich kar sona: to be thoughtless.

    Kaan par jun tak na reengana: to have no effect in the least.

    Kitaabi kerra hona: to have a habit of studying all the time.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    17,700
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    It feels nice to see that I knew most of the ones mentioned here.

    "Bandar kya jaaney adrak ka sawaad (how would a monkey know the taste of ginger)?"

    Used to taunt a person not being in a position to judge the value of something.

    "How would @Saqs bhai know the value of MS Dhoni?"
    Lol I am going to use this one but change Bandar to something that sounds like Bandar but starts with a k


    Quote Originally Posted by La Haine movie
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien. L'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,261
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs View Post
    Lol I am going to use this one but change Bandar to something that sounds like Bandar but starts with a k


    Cracker.


    "Don't just raise the standard, be the standard."

  33. #33
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    18,189
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maan na maan mai tera mehman : getting free with others without any reason

    A Punjabi one Eidy peche tamba : doing something when the damage is done and its urdu is Ab pachtaye kia hoot jab chiyraan chug gai khait

    Piyaase aa katora labha te paani pee pee aaphareya : gets too excited after having something

    Andho mai kaana Raja - A figure among cyphers


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mods can you please make two changes in the OP?I have written YOU instead of YOUR and in the last line LATTER insted of LATER..I have just noticed


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  35. #35
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    4,715
    Mentioned
    1279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A simple one - Daal mein kuch kaala hai


    They call me Harvey Specter.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    Mods can you please make two changes in the OP?I have written YOU instead of YOUR and in the last line LATTER insted of LATER..I have just noticed
    Done (yesterday itself)! Don´t thank me; I will get a 'disturbery' notification.

    Quote Originally Posted by Afridi96 View Post
    A simple one - Daal mein kuch kaala hai
    "There´s something black in the lentils."


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    4,715
    Mentioned
    1279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Done (yesterday itself)! Don´t thank me; I will get a 'disturbery' notification.



    "There´s something black in the lentils."
    There's a picture of daal with an aadmi (kaala) inside it, not sure if i'm allowed to post that picture?


    They call me Harvey Specter.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Afridi96 View Post
    There's a picture of daal with an aadmi (kaala) inside it, not sure if i'm allowed to post that picture?
    Let´s tread the safe path and let it be.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    4,715
    Mentioned
    1279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Let´s tread the safe path and let it be.
    Fair enough


    They call me Harvey Specter.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Done (yesterday itself)! Don´t thank me; I will get a 'disturbery' notification.
    Okay I won't thank you but you must have got the notification..


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  41. #41
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    18,189
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A couple of more from Hassan Nisar's urdu column today

    jis ki taig us ki daig - Might is right

    Tola bhar ki roti kia patli or moti - Something is better than nothing


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kianig89 View Post
    A couple of more from Hassan Nisar's urdu column today

    jis ki taig us ki daig - Might is right

    Tola bhar ki roti kia patli or moti - Something is better than nothing
    Good addition from you bro


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  43. #43
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    "Baghal mey´n chhurri, moonh mey´n "Raam Raam."

    Used for backstabber etc., but not that easy: this is exclusively used for Hindus, which is the reason why I dislike this to the extremes. I really dislike it!


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  44. #44
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aik inaar so bemaar

  45. #45
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Asmaan se gira khajoor Mai atka
    Jis se Allah rake use kon chakhe
    Kabab Mai haddi ban na

  46. #46
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Magarmuch ke aansoo

  47. #47
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pagri uchaal na
    Chor ki daari Mai tinka

  48. #48
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chaar chand lagana
    Zakhm pe namak chirakhna

  49. #49
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    9,131
    Mentioned
    1110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apne pair par kulhari maar na
    Jinni chadar go tune pair philana

  50. #50
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    11,122
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Jiski laathi uski bhains
    Meaning.. he who wields the stick, his is the buffalo

    To explain this further.. u dont mess with the boss

  51. #51
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    Choosing the right time to use them is very important, I have learnt.



    @RWAC @Afridi96 @blinding light @cricket083


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    4,715
    Mentioned
    1279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Choosing the right time to use them is very important, I have learnt.



    @RWAC @Afridi96 @blinding light @cricket083
    What's the meaning of the phrase?


    They call me Harvey Specter.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Afridi96 View Post
    What's the meaning of the phrase?
    O´ man that´s tough! I hope someone will step in to explain.

    @Pakistani_Legend bhai, can you?


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,261
    Mentioned
    1294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    O´ man that´s tough! I hope someone will step in to explain.

    @Pakistani_Legend bhai, can you?
    I haven't heard it before.


    "Don't just raise the standard, be the standard."

  55. #55
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    I haven't heard it before.
    Hmmmm.....

    Let me call @Nostalgic and @Munna for help.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    11,122
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Depends on the context it is used in. Generally if any person who who is dependent upon me orders me to do something, then I can use this idiom for him.

    A distant cousin of this idiom may be "aasteen ka saanp"

  57. #57
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Choosing the right time to use them is very important, I have learnt.



    @RWAC @Afridi96 @blinding light @cricket083
    Ummm,It doesn't make sense to me.the guy doesn't know the meaning and he has used it just for the hell of it,I guess.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  58. #58
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    4,715
    Mentioned
    1279 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Hmmmm.....

    Let me call @Nostalgic and @Munna for help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post
    Depends on the context it is used in. Generally if any person who who is dependent upon me orders me to do something, then I can use this idiom for him.

    A distant cousin of this idiom may be "aasteen ka saanp"
    Ohhhhhh I get it now and thanks


    They call me Harvey Specter.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan.
    Runs
    12,853
    Mentioned
    2164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    Choosing the right time to use them is very important, I have learnt.



    @RWAC @Afridi96 @blinding light @cricket083


    He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.
    — Michel De Montaigne

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    12,784
    Mentioned
    2982 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post

    A distant cousin of this idiom may be "aasteen ka saanp"
    Asteen ka saanp won't even be phupphi k nandoi k behnoi ki khala ki dewrani ka cousin of this idiom

  61. #61
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Let me clear the difference between Idioms(Muhaawaraat) and Aphonices(Zarb-ul-misl).

    An Idiom can't be used without a sentence, it is mandatory to put it into the sentence to make a sense.

    For instance, Bagh Bagh hona, we need to put it into a sentence in order to make sense, it doesn't make any sense alone.

    While zarb-ul-misl make sense without being put into a sentence.For example Aasmaan se gira khajoor main atka, Qaazi ke ghar ke chohay bhi sayanay etc.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  62. #62
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    6,345
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    A few that contain references to the Humsaaya Mulk, where, lest we forget, Urdu first flourished:

    Ultay Baans Bareilly Ko
    Ulti Ganga Bahaana
    Hunooz Dilli Duur Ast (this one is actually what the Iranians disparagingly call Subk-e-Hindi, i.e. faux-Persian Urdu)

    The boy or girl who can explain these gets a kudos.


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

  63. #63
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    6,345
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Another few I really like:

    "Larka baghal mein dhandora shehr mein." Used, for instance, when I place my glasses on top of my head, and then search for them throughout the house.

    "Boorhi ghorri, laal lagaam." Picture an auntie who is past her prime, yet insists on dressing in the latest fashions. I would find her quite becoming, but hey, that's just me.

    "Baasi karhi mein ubaal aana." That's me trying to start weight-training, or guitar playing, or writing, after months away, only to give up again, for another few months.

    "Kawwa chala hans ki chaal, apni chaal bhi bhool gaya." That's me trying to be something I'm not. Like a Norwegian or something.

    And finally, a Punjabi one:

    "Jithey di khoti, uthay aan khaloti." I'll leave this to you to decipher.


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    3,463
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    A few that contain references to the Humsaaya Mulk, where, lest we forget, Urdu first flourished:

    Ultay Baans Bareilly Ko
    Ulti Ganga Bahaana
    Hunooz Dilli Duur Ast (this one is actually what the Iranians disparagingly call Subk-e-Hindi, i.e. faux-Persian Urdu)

    The boy or girl who can explain these gets a kudos.
    Ultay Baans Bareilly Ko - This is a relic from the time when Bareilley had a big bamboo industry, and used to export bamboo to rest of India. So, to bring (back)/ship bamboo to Bareilley would be a pointless thing, akin to someone shipping oil to Saudi Arabia.

    Ulti Ganga Bahaana - This one's self-explanatory - to go against the tide/take an opposing stance.

    Hunooz Dilli Duur Ast - IIRC, this comes from the legend where a king, while in Bengal, threatened to kill a Sufi (can't recall names), upon the king's arrival in Delhi. That's when the Sufi quipped that "Delhi is far away for now". Generally, used to convey that there's a the final destination/goal is still far away (and a person needs to keep working towards that).

  65. #65
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    6,345
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWAC View Post
    Ultay Baans Bareilly Ko - This is a relic from the time when Bareilley had a big bamboo industry, and used to export bamboo to rest of India. So, to bring (back)/ship bamboo to Bareilley would be a pointless thing, akin to someone shipping oil to Saudi Arabia.

    Ulti Ganga Bahaana - This one's self-explanatory - to go against the tide/take an opposing stance.

    Hunooz Dilli Duur Ast - IIRC, this comes from the legend where a king, while in Bengal, threatened to kill a Sufi (can't recall names), upon the king's arrival in Delhi. That's when the Sufi quipped that "Delhi is far away for now". Generally, used to convey that there's a the final destination/goal is still far away (and a person needs to keep working towards that).
    Excellent! Very impressive.


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

  66. #66
    Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    others´ hearts
    Runs
    23,176
    Mentioned
    1011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

    Urdu Idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    A few that contain references to the Humsaaya Mulk, where, lest we forget, Urdu first flourished:

    Ultay Baans Bareilly Ko
    Ulti Ganga Bahaana
    Hunooz Dilli Duur Ast (this one is actually what the Iranians disparagingly call Subk-e-Hindi, i.e. faux-Persian Urdu)

    The boy or girl who can explain these gets a kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Another few I really like:

    "Larka baghal mein dhandora shehr mein." Used, for instance, when I place my glasses on top of my head, and then search for them throughout the house.

    "Boorhi ghorri, laal lagaam." Picture an auntie who is past her prime, yet insists on dressing in the latest fashions. I would find her quite becoming, but hey, that's just me.

    "Baasi karhi mein ubaal aana." That's me trying to start weight-training, or guitar playing, or writing, after months away, only to give up again, for another few months.

    "Kawwa chala hans ki chaal, apni chaal bhi bhool gaya." That's me trying to be something I'm not. Like a Norwegian or something.

    And finally, a Punjabi one:

    "Jithey di khoti, uthay aan khaloti." I'll leave this to you to decipher.
    I have highlighted in bold the ones that I had known about, basically all except one in the second post and all in the first post.

    Regarding the Punjabi one. It´s hard to explain for me at least. Could it be something along the lines of "Making a mistake which makes you return to your erstwhile state"?

    Geo News´ anchor Hamid Mir famously tweeted this when Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif turned to the army to solve the issues with the PTI and the PAT.


    "It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    A few that contain references to the Humsaaya Mulk, where, lest we forget, Urdu first flourished:

    Ultay Baans Bareilly Ko
    Ulti Ganga Bahaana
    Hunooz Dilli Duur Ast (this one is actually what the Iranians disparagingly call Subk-e-Hindi, i.e. faux-Persian Urdu)

    The boy or girl who can explain these gets a kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Another few I really like:

    "Larka baghal mein dhandora shehr mein." Used, for instance, when I place my glasses on top of my head, and then search for them throughout the house.

    "Boorhi ghorri, laal lagaam." Picture an auntie who is past her prime, yet insists on dressing in the latest fashions. I would find her quite becoming, but hey, that's just me.

    "Baasi karhi mein ubaal aana." That's me trying to start weight-training, or guitar playing, or writing, after months away, only to give up again, for another few months.

    "Kawwa chala hans ki chaal, apni chaal bhi bhool gaya." That's me trying to be something I'm not. Like a Norwegian or something.

    And finally, a Punjabi one:

    "Jithey di khoti, uthay aan khaloti." I'll leave this to you to decipher.
    Knew the highlighted ones.

    Jithon di khoti, uthay aan khaloti: It is said that pet animals never forget the place they dwell in, there is a renowned jest about it that

    "aik aadmi ke pas billi thi jo usay boht tang karti thi, os ne osay kahin chor anay ka iraada kiya, iraaday ke mutabiq wo osay kahin le gaya or wahan chor diya, lekin jab wo ghar aya tou billi os se pehle hi pohanch chuki thi, agli dafa os ne socha ke isay bohat dur daraz illaqe me chor ata hun, iraday ke ain mutabiq wo osay bohat dur chor anay ki niyat se chala gaya or billi ko wahan phaink diya lekin jab wapis anay laga tou rasta bhool gaya, os ne ghar phone kiya ke billi pohanch gai kya? onho ne kaha han, pohanch gai. Admi bola osay kaho mujhe bhi aa ke le jae."

    This idiom means things eventually go back to where they belong, I think. Am I right?
    Last edited by cricket083; 8th October 2014 at 12:52.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    6,345
    Mentioned
    588 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    @DHONI183 and @cricket083

    You're both right about "Jithon di Khoti, uthay aan khaloti." I think the closest Urdu equivalent is "Laut ke buddhu ghar ko aye."

    Another few:

    "Yak naa shudd, do shudd:"

    Again, it is Subk-e-Hindi. The story found in our Matriculation Muraqqa-e-Urdu was that a black magic practitioner told his disciple how to resurrect the dead from their graves. Years later, the disciple tries it, only to find that the dead man starts chasing him, zombie-like. He frantically runs away but the dead guy keeps chasing him. He decides to consult his teacher. Alas, the teacher has died. So he goes to the teacher's grave and resurrects him. But that does him no good, since the teacher starts chasing him too. Hence the saying Yak naa shudd, do shudd, i.e. trying to solve one problem and ending up with two instead, or in other words inadvertently exacerbating the situation.

    "Hum Bhi Hein Paanchon Sawaaron Mein:"

    The story goes that four aristocratic horsemen set off for some far away place. On the way, a peasant on a donkey tags along. Whenever someone asks them where they are headed, the peasant answers, Us five riders are headed to such and such a place. Used whenever someone jumps on to the bandwagon, so to speak.

    "Andhon Mein Kaana Raaja:"

    In English, "In the Valley of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man in King."


    Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •