Instagram



Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 63 of 63
  1. #1
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,913
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Thread to teach English (Teacher's Thread)

    First of all my request to mods not to please shift this thread to language section as lot of us hardly visit there.

    Okay I am impressed and jealous. There are many users on PP whose English is very impressive. Come on friends teach English Give us topic to write a short note and then point out our mistakes. This will enable some of us to improve our English

    :


    Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    68,311
    Mentioned
    3520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    I see where this thread is going.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Thank you thank you thank you!

    I feel I can breath now.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hopefully BL will provide some prompts, I'm having trouble coming up with a decent topic to write about myself these days.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Lesson 1: Make up your mind to learn and STICK to the topic, for God's sake.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    68,311
    Mentioned
    3520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Lesson 1: Make up your mind to learn and STICK to the topic, for God's sake.
    That defeats the purpose.

  7. #7
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    10,093
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good thread.

    These are some common mistakes in English that I have observed.

    1.You're and Your. You're means something you are .For instance,You are clever.

    Your means something that belongs to you. For example, Your pen.

    2. Advice and Advise are different. Advise is a verb. For example, he advised me to take a rest.

    On the other hand,advice is a noun. For example, John gave me a lot of advice. Note that advice does not have a plural.
    Last edited by saeedhk; 22nd May 2014 at 15:34.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    What purpose? :/

    I don't know about you guys, but I'm using this thread.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    "Their, they're and there" usage is also important.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    68,311
    Mentioned
    3520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    What purpose? :/

    I don't know about you guys, but I'm using this thread.
    Nothing.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    68,311
    Mentioned
    3520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Important to differentiate between affect and effect.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    17,189
    Mentioned
    768 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    'Tis a shameless way to increase thy post count.


    2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Good thread.

    These are some common mistakes in English that I have observed.

    1.You're and Your. You're means something you are .For instance,You are clever.

    Your means something that belongs to you. For example, Your pen.

    2. Advice and advise are different. Advise is a verb. For example, he advised me to take a rest.

    On the other hand,advice is a noun. For example, John gave me a lot of advice. Note that advice does not have a plural.
    The British have some problem with advice/advise, I think.

    Can any British poster please tell me about it?


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,913
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have just realized I made a mistake that too in the title. Point out


    Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

  15. #15
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,913
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    'Tis a shameless way to increase thy post count.
    This is a shameless way to increase the post count

    Corrected


    Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

  16. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Nothing.
    You said you'd avoid this. :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Important to differentiate between affect and effect.
    THIS. It annoys the hell out of me.

    Affect: To have an impact. This is a verb.

    Effect: Impact. This is a noun.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,913
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By the way how about writing a note with some mistakes asking others to find out and correct?


    Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

  18. #18
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner Up View Post
    By the way how about writing a note with some mistakes asking others to find out and correct?
    Sure, go ahead.

    Will you be one of the students? Or no?


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    17,189
    Mentioned
    768 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner Up View Post
    This is a shameless way to increase the post count

    Corrected
    This is what you call inmates running the asylum.


    2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,913
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Sure, go ahead.

    Will you be one of the students? Or no?
    I am here to learn. Remember


    Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    16,321
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    The British have some problem with advice/advise, I think.

    Can any British poster please tell me about it?
    Advice is a noun (suggestion). Eg. I advice you to do so and so.,

    and advise is a verb (to give advice) Eg. He advised them to do something.


    "Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting.”

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner Up View Post
    I am here to learn. Remember
    Okay, sure.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTheGreenKnightRises View Post
    Advice is a noun (suggestion). Eg. I advice you to do so and so.,

    and advise is a verb (to give advice) Eg. He advised them to do something.
    Yes, but if I recall correctly, the British don't use one of these. I think they don't accept the word "advice". Maybe, not 100% certain.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,913
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I thought both Advise and Advice had the same meaning?


    Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

  25. #25
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTheGreenKnightRises View Post
    Advice is a noun (suggestion). Eg. I advice you to do so and so.,

    and advise is a verb (to give advice) Eg. He advised them to do something.
    Wrong. You are using it as a verb there. A better example would be: It was a good advice.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Wrong. You are using it as a verb there. A better example would be: It was a good advice.
    Yeah

    He advised me to work hard.

    He denied to follow my advice.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  27. #27
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    Yeah

    He advised me to work hard.

    He denied to follow my advice.
    Yes.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    16,321
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Wrong. You are using it as a verb there. A better example would be: It was a good advice.
    Thanks for the correction. I din't notice it.


    "Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting.”

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I wish I was young.(Incorrect)

    I wish I were young(correct)


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  30. #30
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The word is anyway. It does not have an "s" at the end.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My shirt is superior than yours(Incorrect)

    My shirt is superior to yours(Correct)


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  32. #32
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    The word is anyway. It does not have an "s" at the end.
    Thanks a lot for this. I was doubtful over this and I have used this word at times.

    By the way, the word "anyways" is considered as correct on my laptop. It doesn't show a red line under it.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Thanks a lot for this. I was doubtful over this and I have used this word at times.

    By the way, the word "anyways" is considered as correct on my laptop. It doesn't show a red line under it.
    Same here, but I guess because the word is so widely used... :/


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Same here, but I guess because the word is so widely used... :/
    Aha.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    I wish I was young.(Incorrect)

    I wish I were young(correct)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    My shirt is superior than yours(Incorrect)

    My shirt is superior to yours(Correct)
    Good additions. Can someone actually throw some light on the last example? What is its usage? How can we differentiate between the two?

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Good additions. Can someone actually throw some light on the last example? What is its usage? How can we differentiate between the two?
    What differentiation?The first one is incorrect.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  37. #37
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    IT'S and ITS

    There is a difference between the two. It's is short for it is or it has. For example, it's a hot day.

    Its is a possessive pronoun. It is used like his/her. For example, the dog wagged its tail.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    What differentiation?The first one is incorrect.
    What is the difference between 'to' and 'than'?

  39. #39
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    What is the difference between 'to' and 'than'?
    I don't know the exact difference but I think superior itself is a comparative adjective while than is used to compare two things.
    Last edited by cricket083; 23rd May 2014 at 11:47.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  40. #40
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket083 View Post
    I don't know the exact difference but I think superior itself is a comparative adjective and than is used to compare two things.
    Thanks.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Could've, would've and should've do not have "of" at the end. If you are not using the contraction, write "have" after the word could/would/should.

    You say "I would have done that if I had the time", but would you say, "I would of done that if I had the time"?
    Last edited by 96NotOut; 24th May 2014 at 05:31.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Could've, would've and should've do not have "of" at the end. If you are not using the contraction, write "have" after the word could/would/should.

    You say "I would have done that if I had the time", but would you say, "I would of done that if I had the time"?
    Exactly.

    The naye bachche use it a lot.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    15,759
    Mentioned
    698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Need any help ?

  44. #44
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Need any help ?
    You can correct anything. You can choose a topic and elaborate on it.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Exactly.

    The naye bachche use it a lot.
    Actually, a lot of people who are fluent in English use it too.

    Where are the people who were going to learn English?


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Actually, a lot of people who are fluent in English use it too.

    Where are the people who were going to learn English?
    Yeah.

    They ran away and left the learning for us.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    15,759
    Mentioned
    698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    You can correct anything. You can choose a topic and elaborate on it.
    I'm not a teacher, but I can explain.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  48. #48
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    I'm not a teacher, but I can explain.
    Do it, then.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    15,759
    Mentioned
    698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Need a question.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  50. #50
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Just pick out anything, any common grammar mistake or something.

    Pointless though, the students ditched us.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My hair are brown(Incoreect)

    My hair is brown(Correct)


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  52. #52
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me what is correct, I was or I were?

    "I was" is used a lot and sounds better but it seems wrong because we use plural forms of auxiliary verbs, like "have", "am", etc.

    @96NotOut, @cricket083, @Mamoon, @blinding light, @Munna:- Can you enlighten me?

  53. #53
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Can anyone tell me what is correct, I was or I were?

    "I was" is used a lot and sounds better but it seems wrong because we use plural forms of auxiliary verbs, like "have", "am", etc.

    @96NotOut, @cricket083, @Mamoon, @blinding light, @Munna:- Can you enlighten me?
    I were. You're talking about things like "I wish I were a bird" or something, right?

    Well, I've used and heard "I were" all my life anyway. Not quite sure, TBH.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    I were. You're talking about things like "I wish I were a bird" or something, right?

    Well, I've used and heard "I were" all my life anyway. Not quite sure, TBH.
    Yeah, I could see this coming.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    11,117
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistani_Legend View Post
    Can anyone tell me what is correct, I was or I were?

    "I was" is used a lot and sounds better but it seems wrong because we use plural forms of auxiliary verbs, like "have", "am", etc.

    @96NotOut, @cricket083, @Mamoon, @blinding light, @Munna:- Can you enlighten me?
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    I were. You're talking about things like "I wish I were a bird" or something, right?

    Well, I've used and heard "I were" all my life anyway. Not quite sure, TBH.
    I usually avoid using "I were" unless I'm talking about a condition as in "If I were you". That's usually the rule I apply otherwise I always prefer "I was"

  56. #56
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Munna View Post
    I usually avoid using "I were" unless I'm talking about a condition as in "If I were you". That's usually the rule I apply otherwise I always prefer "I was"
    Basically, this is what I am asking.

    Is it the correct way?

  57. #57
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    11,117
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The only time "I were" is correct is if it is preceded by "if" that is, "if I were you, I'd do so and so."

    Otherwise, it's "I was" as both words are singular

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan.
    Runs
    12,853
    Mentioned
    2164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I was is definitely more used that I were.


    He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.
    — Michel De Montaigne

  59. #59
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    68,311
    Mentioned
    3520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    " I were " is correct if it is preceded by " if ". For example,

    If I were a girl, I would be a supermodel. Otherwise, " I was " is correct.
    Last edited by Mamoon; 21st July 2014 at 04:53.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,229
    Mentioned
    3404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yeah @Pakistani_Legend, Mamoon and Munna are right.


    Just because my team doesn't win doesn't mean they aren't the best in the world.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    6,586
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 96NotOut View Post
    Yeah @Pakistani_Legend, Mamoon and Munna are right.
    @Pakistani_Legend you've got your answer.


    Kyun Ziyaan Kaar Banun, Sood Framosh Rahun
    Fikr-e-Farda Na Karun, Mahw-e-Ghum-e-Dosh Rahun

  62. #62
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    The Outlawz
    Runs
    8,169
    Mentioned
    1293 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answers!

  63. #63
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,913
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Always confused where to put "a" and where to put "the" in the sentences. Can anyone please explain.


    Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •