Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Kashmiri language is pretty different

Real Kashmiri language (Kosher) is pretty different from northern subcontinental languages like Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi, Bengali etc....

Kashmir is indeed a separate culture from the plains of south asia. They are Dardic

can any punjabi, urdu, hindi speaker understand a word in this song?

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That sounds weird and nothing like Urdu or Punjabi.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2032 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Should be in the languages forum.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is not your daily conversational kashmiri. it is more poetic/ literary

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnanmir View Post
    this is not your daily conversational kashmiri. it is more poetic/ literary
    what does kashmiri sound like when in regular conversations?

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have heard interviews of people from jammu and kashmir they totaly speak different language. People of azad kashmir speak the same language as the people from muree. But the language spoken in jammu and kashmir is only spoken in jammu and kashmir.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because people always confuse Kashmiri nationality with Kashmiri ethnicity. Pakistanis need to learn to differentiate nationality, ethnicity and religion because you mix it all up.

All Kashmiris are Kashmiri, but not all Kashmiri are Kashmiris.

Kashmiris are native tribes and clans of Kashmir and they mainly belong to the Kashmir Valley in IOK (ie. Bhat, Dhar, Wani etc.)

Kashmiri are people who reside within the borders of Jammu & Kashmir. This includes native Kashmiri tribes/clans + non Kashmiri groups like Punjabis (south AJK), Hindkowans (north AJK), Ladakhis and Jammuites (who are Dogras I think).

And each of these people speak different languages.

Kashmiri tribes/clans speak Koshur, which resemble Dardic languages spoken in GB.
    Punjabis and Hindkowans of AJK speak either Punjabi, Potohari/Pahari or Hindko.
    Ladakhi people speak a language very similar to Balti language which is spoken in Skardu and both are derivatives of Tibetan language.

And then you have Jammu people who I don't even regard as actual Kashmiris (nobody really does to be honest). They're basically originally Hindi speakers who pretend they own Kashmir and desperately pretend to be Central Asian or something.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowqar View Post
    That's because people always confuse Kashmiri nationality with Kashmiri ethnicity. Pakistanis need to learn to differentiate nationality, ethnicity and religion because you mix it all up.

Kashmiris are native tribes and clans of Kashmir and they mainly belong to the Kashmir Valley in IOK (ie. Bhat, Dhar, Wani etc.)

Kashmiri are people who reside within the borders of Jammu & Kashmir. This includes native Kashmiri tribes/clans + non Kashmiri groups like Punjabis (south AJK), Hindkowans (north AJK), Ladakhis and Jammuites (who are Dogras I think).

And each of these people speak different languages.

Kashmiri tribes/clans speak Koshur, which resemble Dardic languages spoken in GB.
    Punjabis and Hindkowans of AJK speak either Punjabi, Potohari/Pahari or Hindko.
    Ladakhi people speak a language very similar to Balti language which is spoken in Skardu and both are derivatives of Tibetan language.

And then you have Jammu people who I don't even regard as actual Kashmiris (nobody really does to be honest). They're basically originally Hindi speakers who pretend they own Kashmir and desperately pretend to be Central Asian or something.
    I'm aware of that, I belong to one of the clans you named but all of the Kashmiri origin people settled in Punjab only speak Punjabi and Urdu now.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Rawalpindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    I'm aware of that, I belong to one of the clans you named but all of the Kashmiri origin people settled in Punjab only speak Punjabi and Urdu now.
    True...

But the Kashmiris that came over after 1947 (who mainly live in Pindi or Jhelum or Mirpur) still retain Kashmiri heritage, culture and language.

The Kashmiris that migrated to Punjab before that (during drought of 1800 especially) and settled in places like Wazirabad, Sialkot, Lahore etc adopted Punjabi culture and language over the successive generations.

BTW what clan are you?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True...

But the Kashmiris that came over after 1947 (who mainly live in Pindi or Jhelum or Mirpur) still retain Kashmiri heritage, culture and language.

The Kashmiris that migrated to Punjab before that (during drought of 1800 especially) and settled in places like Wazirabad, Sialkot, Lahore etc adopted Punjabi culture and language over the successive generations.

BTW what clan are you?
    The biggest one

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what does kashmiri sound like when in regular conversations?
    I am a native kashmiri speaker. I havent heard a single language yet which is similar to koshur. balti sounds similar but thats that. there is no mutual intelligibility with any other language

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And each of these people speak different lang

the people from jammu are not original hindi speakers their origin is punjabi. also they dont pretend to be central asian. their language dogri is more than 60% punjabi. I can tell you that on authority as I currently live in jammu

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True...

BTW what clan are you?
    I read somewhere that kashmiri language will be wiped off from pak occupied kashmir( less than 5% speak it there anyway) by 2025. I remember in
    childhood there used to be a kashmiri language news bulletin from ptv which we used catch using those old tv antennas. I wonder do they still do that

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that kashmiri language will be wiped off from pak occupied kashmir( less than 5% speak it there anyway) by 2025. I remember in
    childhood there used to be a kashmiri language news bulletin from ptv which we used catch using those old tv antennas. I wonder do they still do that
    Well Kashmiri language isn't native to Azad Kashmir, it's only spoken by refugees from Iok and some villages on the border, so it being wiped out is an exaggeration. I do find it interesting that almost none of Kashmiris that settled in Punjab ever retained the language and adopted Urdu and Punjabi, it's like they assimilated so seamlessly. I know for a fact my family didn't retained the language.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balti is a tibetan language though, Kashmiri belongs to the Dardic family but interestingly the people from gilgit I've spoke to say that they don't understand kashmiri at all. It's a pretty unique language.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geographically kashmir is located inside sub continent, but culturally it has resemblance to turkic states of central asia i think just like KPK etc

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kashmiri language is considered to be the oldest language in ASIA.... it is said to 5000 years old....and history also suggests so...
    I have never heard any language that is more sweeter than kashmiri language... perhaps it is the sweetest language...

SIR DONALD BRADMAN ------SORRY, BUT NO ONE LIKE HIM

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macho Mann View Post
    geographically kashmir is located inside sub continent, but culturally it has resemblance to turkic states of central asia i think just like KPK etc
    Yeah a bit like KPK and afg...

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Walla Uuuuuuuur

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by czar View Post
    Walla Uuuuuuuur
    kout chum yun... gobur osaa warey beye.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Balti is a tibetan language though, Kashmiri belongs to the Dardic family but interestingly the people from gilgit I've spoke to say that they don't understand kashmiri at all. It's a pretty unique language.
    as I said it just sounds similar.