Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is Iranian food so bland?

I like Iranian food, their (kebabs) however most of the Items have no spice in it, and you can't really taste much flavor. Arab food in comparison has more flavor, Afghan food is more spicy and obviously Pakistani/indian food is really spicy and flavorful

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I doubt anyone knows why..

He who fears he will suffer, already suffers because he fears.
    Michel De Montaigne

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Isn't Biryani an Iranian food?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol. Arab food better than Iranian food, are you kidding me. Arab food is literally boiled meat. Iranian food is not overdone with spices, which can hide the quality of meat and ingredients. Spicy food, despite being tasty, can be a real copout for any chef as you can literally load anything with spices and they will all taste good if one likes spicy food. But what about the subtle hint of herbs, the freshness of the ingredients, the taste of actual meat, the interplay between pulses and vegetables. If you can't appreciate non spicy quality food, it's not the food, you just have an undeveloped palate.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadibaba View Post
    Lol. Arab food better than Iranian food, are you kidding me. Arab food is literally boiled meat. Iranian food is not overdone with spices, which can hide the quality of meat and ingredients. Spicy food, despite being tasty, can be a real copout for any chef as you can literally load anything with spices and they will all taste good if one likes spicy food. But what about the subtle hint of herbs, the freshness of the ingredients, the taste of actual meat, the interplay between pulses and vegetables. If you can't appreciate non spicy quality food, it's not the food, you just have an undeveloped palate.

I agree Iranian food is very classy, it almost looks like French food. Iranians as a people are also very classy. However we are talking about flavors here. I didn't find the food too flavorful, despite being very elegant/classy

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mithun_minhas View Post
    Isn't Biryani an Iranian food?
    Yes originally, however Pakistani/indian biryani uses local ingredients

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lack of spices is one of the best things about Iranian food.

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iranian food

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iranian kofta kebabs are my favourite and their saffron rice. My worst dish was also iranian, I don't remember what it's called but it was meat based but there was more fat than there was meat. Apparently it's a delicacy but wasn't my cup of tea

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Iranian food looks great but it's too dry and boring for my liking. I rarely have Iranian or Arab food.

Debut
    Jun 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Point View Post
    Iranian food looks great but it's too dry and boring for my liking. I rarely have Iranian or Arab food.
    that's why it always comes with a grilled tomato, adds some juice to the otherwise dry dish. Give it another shot, you may like it.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Personally I quite like it. Look at how they use Zafran (Saffron) to flavour food, it's ingenious. Nice clean flavours and fresh ingredients makes a decent change from other cuisines. Good Lebanese restaurants are similar.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's like asking why is Indian/Pakistani food so spicy?
    Last edited by in_cutter; 29th June 2014 at 01:24. Reason: error

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Indian food is an over kill of spices, they just put WAY TOO MUCH into it. The food itself loses its taste in a plethora of heart burning junk.

Pakistani food is perhaps the best to blend in spices and keeping the flavor intact; however, Pakistani food at restaurants sometimes gets over spicey.

Recently I have been a great fan of Afghani food. I think it's the best of them all.
    Their rice with chicken tikka, chicken Kabab, lamb tikka and lamb Kabab is simply superb.

Arab, irani and even Turkish food is perhaps good once in a while (like once in a year) and that's about it.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    OP is not having Iranian food from the right places, it may not be spicy like our desi food but still has a lot of flavor.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
    I think Indian food is an over kill of spices, they just put WAY TOO MUCH into it. The food itself loses its taste in a plethora of heart burning junk.

Pakistani food is perhaps the best to blend in spices and keeping the flavor intact; however, Pakistani food at restaurants sometimes gets over spicey.

Recently I have been a great fan of Afghani food. I think it's the best of them all.
    Their rice with chicken tikka, chicken Kabab, lamb tikka and lamb Kabab is simply superb.

Arab, irani and even Turkish food is perhaps good once in a while (like once in a year) and that's about it.
    Yeah I agree, Afghan food is really good. Since their country is in the middle of everything(central asia, south asia and Middle east) they have influences from everywhere. I think their spice level is also very good, not over spicy and not too little

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    OP is not having Iranian food from the right places, it may not be spicy like our desi food but still has a lot of flavor.
    I have tried from several different places, but I yeah I haven't tried everything

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post

Err...swims in oil, except karach bhirryani...
    not really sure what indian food is

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The OP does have a point.
    Forget South Asian food, even if you consider Turkish and Levantine Kababs / mezze, they invariably have a better taste than Iranian ones. I have had Kababs at popular hole in the walls and at posh places like Nayeb in Tehran and they invariably taste considerably blander than even average places in Istanbul or Ankara.
    As for Afghab Kababs, the best Kababs I had in my life has to be at one of the Afghan run places in Fremont, California. They are neither too spicy nor too bland.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like Arab food because it doesn't look appealing nor does it taste any good. Iranian dishes are better and the kebabs taste quite nice . But because we Asians are more curry based kebab type food is occasionally nice.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrankhannsu View Post
    I don't like Arab food because it doesn't look appealing nor does it taste any good. Iranian dishes are better and the kebabs taste quite nice . But because we Asians are more curry based kebab type food is occasionally nice.
    Depends which arab food?? Lebenese, Gulf, Yemeni??? they are all different. Gulf people actually eat a bit spicier food, since they are effected by subcontinent to a degree

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Irani food is awesome. Here in U.S the best I've had is at DC.

but to be honest, there are plenty of cuisines I like better

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jang View Post
    Depends which arab food?? Lebenese, Gulf, Yemeni??? they are all different. Gulf people actually eat a bit spicier food, since they are effected by subcontinent to a degree
    Lebanese!! Fasting right now

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We must have food threads in Ramadan

'I fear the day when technology will surpass human interaction'
    - Albert Einstein

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I totally agree with OP Iranian food for the most part is very bland. My favorite from Central Asia is Afghan food just too delicious.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imrankhannsu View Post
    Ever tried the Lebanese desert muhallabia?

It is exquisite, but be careful, some restaurants don't make it nice.

I can't think of anything else but this machine. I sell here, Sir, what all the world desires to have - POWER

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I love Iranian chelow kebab.And yes its not as spicy but it tatstes great.

aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Always have that when I visit Peter Cat on Park Street.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Random
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistani Taste buds = Destroyed by chilli.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if there is no spice in food.. it aint food for me.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Ahmed84 View Post
    Pakistani Taste buds = Destroyed by chilli.
    South Asia is a land of spices, south indians even eat spicy food for breakfast, their spice level is epic.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because a food is not spicy does not mean it lacks flavour. Iranian food has many herbs and distinct flavours. Some Pakistanis just don't have the taste for it but it doesn't mean it's not good. The kebabs are OK but my favourites are quorma sabzi (like palak gosht with a zesty flavour), fisin joon (kind of has a sweet taste, the curry is made from a paste of pomegranate) and my ultimate fav is their bhindi gosht.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Its really in my opinion. Prefer Turkish and Lebanese though.

I'm pretty sick of Pakistani/Indian and the pseudo Italian food, never liked the Pakistani Chinese nor the original. Same goes for Thai and Japanese.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    God's Own Country.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't love any food without spices. Infact most of us(South Indians) cannot live without spices and coconut.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Tend to find that they don't really eat much either.

I recall a few years back being invited to a friend's house and eating a very mild seekh kebab with a bit of salad. I then sat patiently waiting for the main course........but we'd already eaten the one and only course

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

I recall a few years back being invited to a friend's house and eating a very mild seekh kebab with a bit of salad. I then sat patiently waiting for the main course........but we'd already eaten the one and only course
    They are healthy eaters for sure. Most Iranians are very fit

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    After having eaten and being used to Pakistani and Indian dishes all my life, it is pretty hard to adjust to non spicy dishes.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1410 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

No rice served with Kebab?Did you get takeaway while coming back?

aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saffron rice, kubideh and chicken jojeh are delicious. Not spicy but are still very tasty

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not think Persian food is being criticized just for the lack of spices.

Look at how less popular Persian food is in the West in spite of there being so many migrants from Iran

Greek/turkish/Lebanese food are all much more popular than iranian food even though they are no more spicier.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Chelo Kabab Barg is the best, many places serve the cheaper Chelo Kabab Kubideh, but Barg is the one that tastes the best if made right

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Random
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    After having eaten and being used to Pakistani and Indian dishes all my life, it is pretty hard to adjust to non spicy dishes.
    I agree with this

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Where there is no war!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    They need a visit from Gordon Ramsay! He'll sort them out, no probs!

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Just had a quick glance at the Iftari thread and Nostalgic mentioned something about the amount of ghee and oil in Pakistani food in the morning. This is all well and good in the right time and place, but one thing I've never really got my head around is eating spicy food early in the day. Must be my feeble European constitution, but mirch and masala for breakfast just seems plain wrong.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Just had a quick glance at the Iftari thread and Nostalgic mentioned something about the amount of ghee and oil in Pakistani food in the morning. This is all well and good in the right time and place, but one thing I've never really got my head around is eating spicy food early in the day. Must be my feeble European constitution, but mirch and masala for breakfast just seems plain wrong.
    The amount of Oil/Ghee and Salt in our desi food is horrible for the health, no wonder most desi's are in such bad shape/health, especially after a certain age. Compare desi diet to Iranian, Greek, Turkish, Japanese etc... you will now why those people are healthy in general and fit. Desi's need to cut on Bad oil, salt and sugar. South Indians use coconut oil, which is much healthier, I think Pakistanis should start using that

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    For several years we cooked Pakistani food in olive oil. I can't taste the difference, possibly due to taste buds being destroyed by years of smoking, but my wife and parents said it tasted burnt. Something to do with the temperatures at which our food is cooked vs the optimum temperature to cook with olive oil.

As much as oil, I think simple carbs are an equally big culprit in our food. We've made some replacements on that front, like making roti with whole grain flour and using whole grain rice, giving up desserts in favor of fruit, poaching instead of frying eggs etc. We are used to it all now, but the first time our guests had to taste whole wheat roti or a whole grain rice biryani, they made disgusted faces. I guess it takes a while to get used to.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    For several years we cooked Pakistani food in olive oil. I can't taste the difference, possibly due to taste buds being destroyed by years of smoking, but my wife and parents said it tasted burnt. Something to do with the temperatures at which our food is cooked vs the optimum temperature to cook with olive oil.

As much as oil, I think simple carbs are an equally big culprit in our food. We've made some replacements on that front, like making roti with whole grain flour and using whole grain rice, giving up desserts in favor of fruit, poaching instead of frying eggs etc. We are used to it all now, but the first time our guests had to taste whole wheat roti or a whole grain rice biryani, they made disgusted faces. I guess it takes a while to get used to.

Olive oil is good, however if you over cook it, like most desi's do, it becomes bad. The only oil that remains (better) even after cooking is cocunut oil. Again desi diet is really bad regardless, we need to make serious changes

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I am a massive fan of greasy, oily food in general, and Pakistani street food was like it was my birthday every day. I used to get told off constantly by my uncle not to eat that crap, but really it was preferable to eating the crap that his wife cooked. That's okay when you are a teenager, and in fact I encourage all young guns to go for it. But there comes a point in your life when you think, there's only so much of that you can get away with without losing the trim figure, so the diet is slightly less suicidal these days. But even at the height of gluttony, I never really took to eating mirch early in the morning. A piece of toast or cornflakes people. What's wrong with that?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I am a massive fan of greasy, oily food in general, and Pakistani street food was like it was my birthday every day. I used to get told off constantly by my uncle not to eat that crap, but really it was preferable to eating the crap that his wife cooked. That's okay when you are a teenager, and in fact I encourage all young guns to go for it. But there comes a point in your life when you think, there's only so much of that you can get away with without losing the trim figure, so the diet is slightly less suicidal these days. But even at the height of gluttony, I never really took to eating mirch early in the morning. A piece of toast or cornflakes people. What's wrong with that?
    My thoughts exactly.

Except the breakfast part. A piece of toast, plus an omelette brimming with chopped Serrano peppers and red chili powder.

And a cup of chai. There's something about chai that goes great with spicy food. Shami kababs go great with evening chai too.
    Last edited by Nostalgic; 6th July 2014 at 02:44. Reason: .

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm more of an oatmeal guy. Yeah, once in a while an omelette or fried egg would do. I can't imagine eating spicy food at breakfast though in theory it might work as spicy food always makes me alert and wakes up all my senses. Sometimes when I'm really tired at work and already had exhausted the coffee option, I get a bag of flaming hot Cheetos from
    the wending machine, does the job.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    I'm more of an oatmeal guy. Yeah, once in a while an omelette or fried egg would do. I can't imagine eating spicy food at breakfast though in theory it might work as spicy food always makes me alert and wakes up all my senses. Sometimes when I'm really tired at work and already had exhausted the coffee option, I get a bag of flaming hot Cheetos from
    Wending? It's a vending machine, lol.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    South Indian food being extra spicy is a bit of a modern thing. Also it is only recently that food in places like Kerala have become so meat heavy.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    Wending? It's a vending machine, lol.
    Lol, yeah thanks for the correction.

“I am not young enough to know everything.”

― Oscar Wilde

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Lol, yeah thanks for the correction.
    Koi nahi.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Steel cut oats? Or instant? I get the maple syrup-flavored instant ones from time to time, and make them in the microwave with skim milk. Very filling.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I am an oatmeal guy too. I microwave it in plain water, no salt. While eating I imagine myself to be a cow feasting on the most tasty food. It is so gooey and tasteless, but so filling.

A friend of mine chastises me for having oatmeal without milk. He says God gave us a tongue so that we can eat only tasty food. It disgusted him so much that he would buy milk for me.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I was about to say the same. How can anyone have oatlmeal without milk. SOunds weird to me even though a lot of people do it

Ghareeb saray mar gaye
    Kiun kai, zinda hai bhutto zinda hai

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
    Steel cut oats? Or instant? I get the maple syrup-flavored instant ones from time to time, and make them in the microwave with skim milk. Very filling.
    Instant, cooking steel cut is just not possible for me when I can hardly devote 2 mins of my time for breakfast. I used to get the instant maple syrup flavored ones myself but the sugar level in them seemed too high making them less appealing health wise. I get the original, no added flavors and heat them up in the microwave with low fat soy milk (unflavored) and add little bit of Agave Nectar (it has a low glycemic index) along with small cut pieces of almonds, raisins and topped off with grounded flax seed, rich in healthy fats and good for the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    I am an oatmeal guy too. I microwave it in plain water, no salt. While eating I imagine myself to be a cow feasting on the most tasty food. It is so gooey and tasteless, but so filling.

A friend of mine chastises me for having oatmeal without milk. He says God gave us a tongue so that we can eat only tasty food. It disgusted him so much that he would buy milk for me.
    That's commendable. Having it with water is the most purest way of having them and healthiest too. I just can't do that. Taste buds won't allow it.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar_ahmad View Post
    ^ I was about to say the same. How can anyone have oatlmeal without milk. SOunds weird to me even though a lot of people do it
    All about mental conditioning. I just imagine that it is very tasty. I use this make believe a lot. For example, while entering a room full of people, I imagine myself to be hulk, towering over everyone, and that gives me confidence to face people. Even while debating with posters here, I imagine them to be physically weaker than me. It gives me the confidence to dominate them. (Except Badsha, who I believe is 240 pounds and 6'2'').

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^

Good techniques! Quite a few people use them. Especially for getting over mental hurdles and gaining confidence.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    647 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I was 240 lbs too once. Trouble is, I'm a mere 5'11".

Since I couldn't grow to 6'4" (without pumps, stilts, step ladders etc) I had to cut down on the weight. It would've been nice to stay at 240 and grow vertically instead.