Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WC-Passion View Post
    POTW. Some disgusting posts here on this thread, not wanting to even think about helping despite clearly knowing that innocent people are continually being massacred.

Some PPers seem to have a grudge against anything Arab and will not even hesitate to be against a clear humane charity. Being Pakistani and having a couple of sour experiences with Palestinians shouldn't give you a childish outlook on the issue, some of these posters should be ashamed of themselves.

Not everyone human is the same and you cannot generalise about what they are like due to their ethnicity. Definitely have lost a lot of respect for some after reading this thread.

@shaz619 would be interested to know your thoughts on this can't believe what I've read here, shocking.
    I don't think we have a problem with regards to charitable efforts in Palestine and we all should be encouraged to help whoever is in need regardless, Palestine tends to be given more focus then anything else when it comes to British Pakistani's humanitarian efforts so we can't criticise people for ignoring them but we can criticise them for ignoring the people of their country, their origin, Africans, and all the other people who need help around the world.
    Last edited by shaz619; 23rd June 2017 at 20:24.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's all this "why should we help them out if we can't get anything back"? What ever happened to a bit of humanity, doing good deeds for the sake of being good, not expecting a reward.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    What's all this "why should we help them out if we can't get anything back"? What ever happened to a bit of humanity, doing good deeds for the sake of being good, not expecting a reward.
    Well spoken.

Those who can't help you are usually the ones who need the most help. Or am I missing something here?

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Macclesfield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @shaz619 would be interested to know your thoughts on this can't believe what I've read here, shocking.
    Last week he said he only cares about his West Indies Heritage, England and Pakistan. It was something along with those lines. Just saying because this time the reply is more diplomatic.
    Last edited by Muhammad10; 23rd June 2017 at 22:10.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    It can't have failed much if Israel has been pushing the UK government to halt this movement. BDS won the right for local councils to opt out pensions which invest in Israel. This was only a few days ago. Lawyers for Israel were working hard against this call.

Everyone knows this won't turn Israel into being shunned as South Africa was as Zionism influences/control western governments. But it sends a big statement to the world , what Israel it. An aparthied, occupying terorist state.
    sure, certain Israeli groups have tried to block it but at the end of the day it has very low repercussions on the State of Israel. Investment in Israel is not going to be stopped for the Palestinians...Israel is the center of innovation, research, and advanced studies. The only countries that are ahead of Israel in the technology space are the US and maybe the UK. We Muslims need to realize what Israel is and how much influence it has on the world...otherwise we will never be able to come up with something that sticks against it. At best BDS sheds light on the conflict but its not going to bring about a change in Palestine. That's my opinion.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    sure, certain Israeli groups have tried to block it but at the end of the day it has very low repercussions on the State of Israel. Investment in Israel is not going to be stopped for the Palestinians...Israel is the center of innovation, research, and advanced studies. The only countries that are ahead of Israel in the technology space are the US and maybe the UK. We Muslims need to realize what Israel is and how much influence it has on the world...otherwise we will never be able to come up with something that sticks against it. At best BDS sheds light on the conflict but its not going to bring about a change in Palestine. That's my opinion.
    It wont bring about a change in Palestine but nothing will until the balance of power in the region changes. Israel will not remain the most powerful military force in the region forever and America will not remain a superpower forever. Arabs, Palestinians and Muslims aren't going anywhere. Due to it's geographical location, Israel is nothing but a temporary outpost.

For now though many companies in Israel have been set back by this movement esp those who produce goods in occupied terrotoriy. The awareness has also helped many understand the nature of Israels oppression and aparthied.

If you can't kill a dragon, doesn't mean you should lay down and die.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Exactly. Not sure what their logic behind it is. People are only out for themselves these days and it's getting worse it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Saeed View Post
    Last week he said he only cares about his West Indies Heritage, England and Pakistan. It was something along with those lines. Just saying because this time the reply is more diplomatic.
    Not really, he said that he doesn't see why people should be criticised for not caring, which isn't what I'd call diplomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    I don't think we have a problem with regards to charitable efforts in Palestine and we all should be encouraged to help whoever is in need regardless, Palestine tends to be given more focus then anything else when it comes to British Pakistani's humanitarian efforts so we can't criticise people for ignoring them but we can criticise them for ignoring the people of their country, their origin, Africans, and all the other people who need help around the world.
    Why can't we criticise people for ignoring them? I guess not having a tiny bit of humanity doesn't matter anymore? Absurd stuff.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Exactly. Not sure what their logic behind it is. People are only out for themselves these days and it's getting worse it seems.

Not really, he said that he doesn't see why people should be criticised for not caring, which isn't what I'd call diplomatic.

Why can't we criticise people for ignoring them? I guess not having a tiny bit of humanity doesn't matter anymore? Absurd stuff.
    We can't criticise them for ignoring them because they do not ignore them, I think you never understood my post. The people who are ignored are all the non-Palestinians a shame that people lack that tiny bit of humanity really absurd indeed

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    @WC-Passion my charitable efforts are not limited to Gaza, I help people there but also those in my local community, the British people when we have floods, terrorist attacks or tragedies involving the unfortunate Glenfall Tower, those in need Pakistan for example when the terrorists attacked that school in peshawar and supporting AK foundation initiatives which involves building school's and homes in Gambia etc

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @WC-Passion my charitable efforts are not limited to Gaza, I help people there but also those in my local community, the British people when we have floods, terrorist attacks or tragedies involving the unfortunate Glenfall Tower, those in need Pakistan for example when the terrorists attacked that school in peshawar and supporting AK foundation initiatives which involves building school's and homes in Gambia etc
    We can't criticise them for ignoring them because they do not ignore them, I think you never understood my post. The people who are ignored are all the non-Palestinians a shame that people lack that tiny bit of humanity really absurd indeed
    I don't agree, I feel like the Gaza strip problems are brushed under the carpet by most people even though they know it's happening, they would much rather help their own country instead of both because they feel like they won't get anything out of helping Palestine.

Problems like the terrorist attacks and tragedies in places like Paris, Britain and Belgium get lots of headlines and social media even show options to support it. People donate to these causes without thinking twice which is nice but when it comes to other people, they either feel like not supporting them because they "are above that" or because they feel they get nothing out of it.

That is obviously a good thing if you're helping out your local community and the tragedies in the UK,the problems in Pakistan and what's happening in Africa. Not being limited to one effort (in the form of Gaza) is fantastic and I admire you for that. I just don't see other people following suit as much for whatever reason and it is definitely disheartening.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I don't agree, I feel like the Gaza strip problems are brushed under the carpet by most people even though they know it's happening, they would much rather help their own country instead of both because they feel like they won't get anything out of helping Palestine.

Problems like the terrorist attacks and tragedies in places like Paris, Britain and Belgium get lots of headlines and social media even show options to support it. People donate to these causes without thinking twice which is nice but when it comes to other people, they either feel like not supporting them because they "are above that" or because they feel they get nothing out of it.

That is obviously a good thing if you're helping out your local community and the tragedies in the UK,the problems in Pakistan and what's happening in Africa. Not being limited to one effort (in the form of Gaza) is fantastic and I admire you for that. I just don't see other people following suit as much for whatever reason and it is definitely disheartening.
    From experience with regards to the British Pakistani community here in the UK, I'd say they focus 90% of their charitable efforts on the Gaza strip; but I can't speak on behalf of other groups and one can defo come to the conclusion that media have played a big role in their lack of awareness. But what I have also noticed amongst British Pakistani community is that due to tribalistic mindset they refuse to help people of their country, their origin and others around the world.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    From experience with regards to the British Pakistani community here in the UK, I'd say they focus 90% of their charitable efforts on the Gaza strip; but I can't speak on behalf of other groups and one can defo come to the conclusion that media have played a big role in their lack of awareness. But what I have also noticed amongst British Pakistani community is that due to tribalistic mindset they refuse to help people of their country, their origin and others around the world.
    Agree with you here. British Pakistanis do have awareness and put a lot of efforts towards the Gaza strip but everyone else in the country has turned a blind eye towards it thanks to the media.

Even from other parts of the world, there isn't much awareness, however I do remember that Cristiano Ronaldo donated to help education in Palestine for young children.

The tribalistic mindset is worrying. People tend to refuse to help for some ridiculous reasons and I don't think it's getting any better. Not even for just Palestine, there are a lot of other problems such as the one in Kashmir that are not helped because of this tribalistic mindset.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Agree with you here. British Pakistanis do have awareness and put a lot of efforts towards the Gaza strip but everyone else in the country has turned a blind eye towards it thanks to the media.

Even from other parts of the world, there isn't much awareness, however I do remember that Cristiano Ronaldo donated to help education in Palestine for young children.

The tribalistic mindset is worrying. People tend to refuse to help for some ridiculous reasons and I don't think it's getting any better. Not even for just Palestine, there are a lot of other problems such as the one in Kashmir that are not helped because of this tribalistic mindset.
    I won't name who the poster because he is one of my favourites but someone on these forums pointed out how it's pointless helping say Pakistani's for example because they don't make best use of the donations and there's too much corruption etc, for me that logic is no different to that of IDF who kill babies and say oh x or y are using them as human shields so it is okay for us to resort to genocide. This is just an example, people have an inferior complex or some other weird tribalistic mindset which prevents them from helping.

Their awareness with regards to Palestine also stems from their knowledge of holy land and wanting to get extra reward by indulging in charity that could also be the inspiration for their big focus on Gaza strip which we can't criticise because any help is good but dissecting the source of their charitable efforts also goes a long way in explaining why they may not help others around the world as much, but there are genuine people like yourself and I who just want to help people and it's not because of x or y or z, it's due to humanity which as you said previously people lack sadly.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I won't name who the poster because he is one of my favourites but someone on these forums pointed out how it's pointless helping say Pakistani's for example because they don't make best use of the donations and there's too much corruption etc, for me that logic is no different to that of IDF who kill babies and say oh x or y are using them as human shields so it is okay for us to resort to genocide. This is just an example, people have an inferior complex or some other weird tribalistic mindset which prevents them from helping.

Their awareness with regards to Palestine also stems from their knowledge of holy land and wanting to get extra reward by indulging in charity that could also be the inspiration for their big focus on Gaza strip which we can't criticise because any help is good but dissecting the source of their charitable efforts also goes a long way in explaining why they may not help others around the world as much, but there are genuine people like yourself and I who just want to help people and it's not because of x or y or z, it's due to humanity which as you said previously people lack sadly.
    Exactly, I feel like you could use that logic of "oh there is no point in donating, too much corruption blah blah blah, how do you know if it will make it them, it won't actually do anything" to most charities and causes. The IDF have some quite frankly bewildering excuses for what they're doing and people still seem to believe them for it.

Like you said, the intention counts. People wanting to help for reward is just selfish and shows exactly why they couldn't careless about the other people around the world that are desperate for help. If only people weren't so mad about their own selfish desires and could see past it.

Agreed, there just isn't enough people with good intentions like yourself who want to help without any "secret or not so secret motive" behind it. I agree that you can't criticise them for it sometimes because in the end, they are donating but it still shows that people have a poor mentality and if they didn't have any religious connections to Palestine, they'd probably wouldn't help out.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Palestine Campaign won in the High Court last week

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Next week fight goes to Parliament

You can contact/lobby your MP here :-

http://palestinecampaign.iparlsetup....rliamentdebate

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi, I just sent an email to my MP calling on them to support Palestinian rights in next Wednesday's Parliamentary debate on Israel and Palestine.

It only took a minute or two using a model letter - please take the time to do the same.

All you have to do is visit http://palestinecampaign.iparlsetup....rliamentdebate and put in your postcode - easy as that

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    609 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Thought you'd approve @s28 - subjecting the Israelis to that racket! Like the US Army blasting Noriega with really loud Cher until he surrendered

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s28 View Post

Oh dear. It's a bit like those calling for an Israel boycott while on their iPhones or intel chip devices.

Ken Loach accused of exempting himself from cultural boycott of Israel.
    Films by the director, a vocal critic of artists who perform in Israel, have been widely shown in the country
    https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/...cott-of-israel

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Palestine is an international orphan.

If it was a stock on the exchanges, it'll be a dud trading perennially at the bottom of the barrel.

Just let it go.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What an incredible gesture. Good to see so many people of all faiths and none willing to step up in solidarity with their fellow citizens to stand up for justice and humanity.

http://mondoweiss.net/2017/07/mondow...ent-palestine/

This summer, we have been working to show Mondoweiss readers what it takes on the ground in Palestine—what reporters, photographers and activists face daily—to gather and publish the news you can’t find in mainstream media. We’ve shared stories from several brave journalists about the threats they face, including experiences with violence, legal barriers, detention and constant threats and intimidation.

One of Mondoweiss’s most dedicated readers has been moved by these stories and inspired by all he’s learned from Mondoweiss over the years. He’s asked us not to use his name, but wrote to us with this offer:

“I know how much effort and talent you all put into getting the news and spreading it to everyone who needs to know what’s going on in Palestine. I am constantly outraged and devastated by the abuses Palestinians confront, and I know that informing the widest possible audience is the best way to challenge the regime oppressing them. In fact, it’s the only way to ultimately bring that regime to its knees.

“I remember clearly how much of a difference it made in fighting apartheid in South Africa—and fighting for civil rights here in the U.S.—to have accurate, reliable and constant coverage of the atrocities.

“Because I believe in Mondoweiss, and I know there are people out there who can invest along with me, I’m issuing a challenge. I will match every gift you receive by the end of July, up to a total of $5,000.

“I believe that your community can meet this challenge. In fact, I fully expect that Mondoweiss readers will put me to shame by claiming the full $5,000 within a few days.

“I wish I could issue a larger challenge, but this is a stretch that I’m committing to because I believe in the cause so urgently. Would anyone else like to do as I’m doing? If another Mondoweiss supporter is able to commit $2,500 or more, we can mobilize hundreds of contributors and make possible excellence in journalism in a region that sorely needs it.”

We are touched by this vote of confidence from someone who has a long history in fighting for social justice. All we can do at this point is ask the thousands reading this message: can you step up and meet the challenge from our friend? Whatever you give by the end of July will have double the impact.

All funds from this campaign are going to pay talented freelance journalists on the ground in Palestine/Israel. With your help, we can continue publishing essential exposes of Israel’s behavior and vital reports on brave and effective resistance by Palestinians.

They fear the truth. We report it. Please give now to double your impact in investing in that truth

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I attended a Garden Party organised by the local Palestine Solidarity Campaign organisation today which was well attended and our local MP turned up as well. Heard about this 'Walt to Jerusalem' initiative which is an initiative to mark the 100th anniversary of the Balfour Declaration

http://www.amostrust.org/amos-palest...-to-jerusalem/

just walk to jerusalem: 2017
    It's very simple – we're asking for full equal rights for everybody who calls the Holy Land home. Just Walk to Jerusalem is a bold initiative to mark the centenary of the Balfour Declaration and 50 years of military occupation of the Palestinian Territories.

Our Just Walk to Jerusalem is a modern-day walking pilgrimage to the Holy Land to mark the centenary of the Balfour Declaration and the need for full equal rights for everyone who calls the Holy Land home.

Just Walk to Jerusalem: 2017
    Too often people feel that the issues are too complicated and they don’t know how to respond. We believe there’s a simple way to respond. If you believe that there should be full equal rights for everyone who calls the Holy Land home – then Just Walk to Jerusalem:

Solidarity

Walk as an act of solidarity with Palestinians who do not have freedom of movement.

Peace

Walk with Palestinian and Israeli peace activists on the long road to peace and justice.

Penance

Walk as an act of penance for Britain’s 100 year-long failure to ensure Palestinian rights.

Seeds of injustice

On 2nd November 1917, the United Kingdom’s Foreign Secretary, Arthur James Balfour, declared:

"His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine."

The seeds of today’s injustice, inequality and violence were sown by the Balfour Declaration in 1917. We want to mark the anniversary with a bold act of solidarity and a call for peace with justice.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Petition against the Occupying Forces closing Al Aqsa

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliame...sing-al-alaqsa

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So the Palestinians are throwing a hissy fit over Israel installing metal detectors outside this Al-Aqsa mosque. Do they have something to hide?

Even when one enters the Ka'aba in Mecca you need to go through such security checks, but hey it's godfather Saudi Arabia doing it so no complaints there.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    All the palistinians need to do is stop firing rockets into israel. Its no good crying because everytime you punch a bully he beats you up.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ex MI5 Intelligence Agent Annie Machon on why she thinks Diana was 'got rid of' by MI5 because she was about to start campaigning for the Palestinians

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @shaz619 go go power rangers

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Palestinian children are brutally mistreated in Israeli prisons. #nowaytotreatachild Sign the petition now!

http://palestinecampaign.iparlsetup....ytotreatachild

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://electronicintifada.net/conte...genocide/21176

When Israel’s friends in Labour advocated genocide

Asa Winstanley The Electronic Intifada 25 July 2017

Every so often Labour Friends of Israel pays tribute to Richard Crossman, an early activist with the British pressure group and one of the best known British politicians of the mid-20th century. The tributes to the late cabinet minister are not entirely informative.

One detail that tends to be omitted is that, when it came to Palestine, Crossman advocated genocide.

Crossman was probably the Zionist movement’s biggest supporter in the Labour Party from the 1940s onwards. He was later a minister in Harold Wilson’s 1960s government, becoming editor of the New Statesman magazine after his retirement from frontline politics.

In a 1959 lecture in Israel, Crossman discussed Zionism in the context of other settler-colonial episodes in history.

Referring to European settlers – which he collectively called “the white man” – in Africa and the Americas, he argued: “No one, until the 20th century, seriously challenged their right, or indeed their duty, to civilize these continents by physically occupying them, even at the cost of wiping out the aboriginal population.”

He lamented that “Jewish settlers” in Palestine had not “achieved their majority before 1914,” and that the Palestinians “regarded them as ‘white settlers,’ come to occupy the Middle East.”

The Zionist movement ultimately succeeded in violently gerrymandering a Jewish majority in Palestine, by physically removing the largest part of the “aboriginal population” in 1948.

Palestinians still mourn that mass expulsion every year as the Nakba – Arabic for catastrophe. More than 750,000 Palestinians were driven out by Zionist militias, and the refugees have still not been allowed to return.

Fans of genocide advocate
    Crossman preserved his comments for posterity in his 1960 book A Nation Reborn: The Israel of Weizmann, Bevin and Ben-Gurion. The book collected his 1959 lectures, conducted at the Weizmann Institute – named after Israel’s first president, Chaim Weizmann.

Despite Crossman’s history, the Labour Party’s modern day internal Israel lobby is still very much his fan.

As grassroots Labour members have increasingly come to question and challenge the party’s historical support for Israel, its defenders have sought to draw on the legacy of Zionist figures in Labour such as Crossman.

Tom Watson, the party’s deputy leader, made a groveling speech to Labour Friends of Israel at their 2016 annual lunch. As well as condemning Palestine solidarity efforts such as the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement, he sang “Am Yisrael Chai,” a sectarian song associated with Israel’s extreme right and popular with anti-Palestinian mobs in Jerusalem and on the streets of Europe.

Watson noted that he was speaking on the anniversary of a 1947 United Nations vote to “create a Jewish state.” Israel was founded the following year and, according to Watson, its “greatest friends” were found on the “Labour benches” in Westminster. He named Harold Wilson and Richard Crossman among a few of those “greatest friends.”

Crossman was also name-checked by Labour Friends of Israel’s current director Jennifer Gerber as recently as 2015.

Writing on the website of Progress – a right-wing Labour faction – Gerber lauded Crossman as one of the “many people on the British left” who staunchly supported the “young, embattled state of Israel.”

Crossman was one of the “early supporters of Labour Friends of Israel,” she wrote.

Gerber did not reply to an email from The Electronic Intifada asking if she wanted to distance herself from Crossman’s genocidal comments.

Labour Friends of Israel director Jennifer Gerber being consoled by anti-Corbyn Labour lawmaker Chuka Umunna. A January Al Jazeera documentary showed Gerber claiming to Umunna that their stall had been the victim of anti-Semitism by a Palestine supporter. But undercover footage of the incident proved otherwise.
    One account states that Crossman was Labour Friends of Israel president, although he may not have formally held that position.

According to a biography by fellow Labour lawmaker Tam Dalyell, Crossman once called Weizmann “my spiritual father.” When the first Israeli president died “it was one of the few occasions in his [Crossman’s] adult life when he dissolved in tears,” Dalyell added.

Treason
    Crossman’s dedication to the Zionist movement was so complete that it even involved outright treason against the British state – while he was an elected lawmaker.

During the postwar Labour government of Clement Attlee, Crossman worked hard to advance the Zionist movement’s takeover of Palestine.

Britain still occupied Palestine under a League of Nations mandate when Attlee became prime minister in 1945. Yet the once-warm relations between Britain and the Zionist movement had soured, and the latter’s militias were engaged in armed attacks against British personnel in Palestine, as well as against Palestinian civilians.

In a biography of John Strachey, then a member of the cabinet’s defense committee, it is recounted that Crossman aided Zionist militias in armed attacks on the British army.

This extraordinary passage, cited in former Labour minister Christopher Mayhew’s book Publish it Not, is worth quoting at length:

One day, Crossman, now in the House of Commons, came to see Strachey … [Crossman] had heard from his friends in the Jewish Agency that they were contemplating an act of sabotage … Should this be done, or should it not? Few would be killed … Crossman asked Strachey for his advice … The next day in the smoking room at the House of Commons, Strachey gave his approval to Crossman. The Haganah [Zionist militia] went ahead and blew up all the bridges over the [River] Jordan. No one was killed, but the British Army in Palestine were cut off from their lines of supply with Jordan.

Pro-Israel activists, therefore, have an old tradition of Labour Party support to draw on.

But Labour’s backing for the Zionist project is part of its insidious history of supporting, and at times directly administering, British colonialism and empire.

In 1944, the party’s national executive committee issued a report called “The International Post-War Settlement,” which outlined the leadership’s views on global issues, ahead of the 1945 election which resulted in a landslide Labour victory.

The document’s principal author was Hugh Dalton, who the following year would be finance minister in Attlee’s government.

It argued that there was a necessity in Palestine “for transfer of population. Let the Arabs be encouraged to move out, as the Jews move in.”

Hugh Dalton, Labour chancellor in 1945, called for “transfer” of the Palestinians. (Imperial War Museums)
    It even advocated “the possibility” of expanding the borders of the future Jewish state by annexing parts of Transjordan, Egypt or Syria – “by agreement,” the document claimed. In reality, Egypt and the future state of Jordan were then British puppet regimes.

According to Dalton’s biographer Ben Pimlott, this “Zionism plus plus” vision was short of an earlier Dalton draft, toned down in subcommittee, which had advocated “throwing open Libya or Eritrea to Jewish settlement, as satellites or colonies to Palestine.”

Neither was Dalton’s racism confined to Palestinians. He seems to have made a habit of privately referring to people of color as “diseased ****** communities” or as “wogs.”

Zionism is very much part of the colonial strain in the Labour Party.

But history does not stand still. The British empire is largely a thing of the past, even if former Labour leader Tony Blair once acted on the global stage as though it were not.

Labour under Jeremy Corbyn is transforming itself into a popular movement, with a membership now of more than half a million people. The colonialism of Labour’s past is rejected by most party members, who tend to be overwhelmingly antiwar. Polling of Labour voters shows that Blair is deeply unpopular, suggesting that a party led by him would cause a “voter exodus.”

In apologizing last year for the Labour Party’s role in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Corbyn made an important break with Blair’s warmongering legacy.

It is now time for him to make a deeper and more decisive break with the party’s colonial past, by apologizing for its role in the crimes of the British empire.

As part of that, it is time for Corbyn to break Labour’s link with Zionism.

Asa Winstanley is an associate editor with The Electronic Intifada.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great investigative report by Amnesty

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imagine what these cowards would do if they weren't being filmed

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imagine what these cowards would do if they weren't being filmed

They would do what religious Kings and uncivilized armies have done throughout the history.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A Jew Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi from Free Speech On Israel giving an impassioned speech at todays Labour Conference

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    #Balfour100

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://mondoweiss.net/2017/10/judais...y-declaration/

‘A blot on Judaism, Jewish history and ethics’ — British Jews regret the Balfour Declaration

Middle East

Philip Weiss on October 10, 2017

Independent Jewish Voices in Britain has produced a great new video explaining the Balfour Declaration, whose 100th anniversary we commemorate next month, and calling on Britain to reckon with the document at last so as to honor Palestinian rights.

It is an extremely thoughtful presentation about the problematic resolution featuring searing judgments from Jacqueline Rose, Avi Shlaim, Brian Klug, and Miri Weingarten.

Most of the video describes the history and consequences of the declaration: the higher status granted Jews over Palestinians in the document (Palestinians are cited as among “existing non-Jewish communities,” not by name, and possessing “civil and religious rights”; while Jews are named and given national rights), the dispossession of Palestinians (Shlaim mentions 730,000 refugees of the Nakba), the reification of the Jewish religion by Zionism as a set of beliefs attached to actual lands, and the disaster of the ’67 war and occupation.

The several voices join in a crescendo, condemning the declaration personally.

Klug says, even if your definition of Jewishness is national, one of peoplehood– “You should only wave the flag if you can hold it with the confidence that it stands for justice.”

Rabbi Howard Cooper emphasizes the division inside Judaism. “As we approach the 100th anniversary… it is really important that people realize that there is a passionate debate inside the Jewish world around Israel.”

Klug: “The worst phase of the Arab Jew confrontation in modern times begins with the Balfour declaration.”

Rose: “This is for me a tragedy. The Jews went through one of the worst traumas in history… The tragedy is that it has led to a historic injustice against another group of people.” Rose acknowledges the “existential crisis” that Jews faced in Europe and their legitimate desire for self-determination. But she says “the spirit of justice and righteousness which is also part of Jewish history” makes it imperative that Jews speak out now.

Shlaim: “Today Britain should do a reckoning about its failure to protect Palestinian rights. And Britain should come to terms with the fact that it enabled a Zionist minority to begin a systematic takeover of the entire country. I have nothing to celebrate.”

Klug: “We need a future that caters for everyone, and that’s not in the Balfour Declaration… What is being celebrated is a document that points in the wrong direction for any kind of viable future for all the people who are living in Palestine and Israel.”

Miri Weingarten, who served in the Israeli army and regrets doing so, says that nothing will change until the Declaration is “unlocked,” and Israelis are taught that Palestinians have rights. As it is, Balfour is taught in a triumphalist way in Israel; and Israelis fail to see other human beings as people with rights.

Antony Lerman: “This is a blot on Judaism, and on Jewish history and on Jewish ethics. What came out of Balfour is something which I think we Jews should be ashamed of. And we should be able to do something about it, to put things right, in terms of giving Palestinians the rights they deserve.”

While young Barnaby Raine says we are seeing a “sea change” in Jewish life, in which there’s a “rift” on generational lines. Young Jews see a “gaping exception” to the Jewish values of standing with the marginalized: the treatment of Palestinians.

My objection to the video’s historical content is my objection to the conference on Balfour at Princeton last May: it leaves out the belief on the part of imperial powers in the role of Jewish influence at a time of world war, the perceived need by imperial leaders to get Jews on their side as an asset. Rose offers three reasons for the declaration: colonial/imperial motivation to have a footprint in the Mid East, some anti-semitism (get rid of British Jews); and “also some respect for minority status.” There is no sense here of Jewish agency; no mention of the fact that the Germans and the British were in competition for Jewish support, no sense of the role Jewish financiers had played in liberating Jews, including my grandfathers, from eastern Europe. And as for the colonial impulse, Britain wanted out of Palestine by ’47. But Jewish support for Zionism, and western Jewish lobbying on its behalf, often involving big political donors, is with us to this day.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dear Friends,

The 100^th anniversary of the Balfour Declaration is fast approaching. As you know,
    the Government has made it clear that it has no intention of apologising for
    Balfour. Indeed, last month Sajid Javed, the Communities Secretary said “here in
    Britain we will not merely mark the centenary, we will celebrate it with pride.”

On October 7^th we held a national conference on Balfour, one of many conferences
    being organised by PSC and its branches this month. As our expert panels made clear,
    the Balfour Declaration was an act of imperialism in which Britain saw fit to
    disregard the rights of the Palestinian people. It was founded upon an assumption
    that the Palestinians did not matter, that their legitimate claims to their land
    could be ignored. It led the way to the establishment of Israel in 1948 as a state
    which, in its basic laws and, subsequently, in its policies regards the rights of
    the Jewish inhabitants of the land as superior to those of the Palestinian people.

In the week in which the centenary of the Balfour Declaration falls we expect
    Benjamin Netanyahu to visit the UK as a guest of the government. After 100 years of
    complicity the UK government is saying to the Palestinian people, "we do not need to
    accept our historical responsibilities, nor apologise for the mistakes we made."

At the Balfour Conference day, our final panel with Leanne Mohammed, Lowkey, Ken
    Loach, and many other focused on why we must march on November 4^th. Leanne, just
    16 and a British Palestinian, told us she will march because she refuses to be
    silenced in demanding that the rights of Palestinians be upheld.

Now more than ever we need you to take that message with us to the streets. Get
    your friends and your colleagues and the groups to which you belong onto the streets
    of London on November 4^th as we rally for Palestine.
    Be with us as we deliver two
    clear messages: to the Palestinians, your cause is not forgotten and we in the UK in
    this year of the centenary of Balfour know our responsibilities; we will keep
    fighting, keep marching, and keep lobbying until you enjoy equality, justice, and
    rights in your homeland. To the UK government - acknowledge Britain’s historic
    complicity but recognise also your responsibilities now to put pressure on Israel to
    abide by international law and cease its violations of human rights.

Join us on November 4^th in London, at 12noon. Let’s make this the biggest
    demonstration of support for Palestinian rights since we took to the streets in our
    hundreds of thousands in 2014 to protest Israel’s war on Gaza.

It’s time for justice. It’s time to make it right for Palestine.

Ben Jamal
    PSC Director

More information here
    (https://www.palestinecampaign.org/ev...entral-london/) .

Help us spread the word. Join the Thunderclap
    (https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/...-for-palestine) !

Follow developments before and during the demonstration using #Balfour100
    (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23balfour100&src=typd)

Join the Thunderclap
    (https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/...-for-palestine)
    https://www.palestinecampaign.org/ev...entral-london/

Donate to the PSC Fighting Fund: Every pound helps!
    (https://palestinecampaign.nationbuilder.com/donation)

Stay updated on our activities; the latest news from Palestine; and how you can
    support PSC campaigns

Become a PSC Member if you are not yet one!
    (https://www.palestinecampaign.org/ge...ew-membership/)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dear friend,

We need your help! We have three asks in this email (please read them all!):

1) On Wednesday 22nd November we want you to join us in Parliament to make sure that Palestine is firmly on the agenda of our elected politicians.
    JOIN THE LOBBY DAY: REQUEST A MEETING WITH YOUR MP

Join hundreds of people in Westminster and show your support for Palestine. Follow this link to send a letter to your MP requesting a meeting (please only do this if you are actually able to travel to London on the 22nd November). We will then register for you to join us in Parliament.

All participants will be briefed in advance of our key parliamentary asks and what to expect when meeting their MP. You will also be invited to join the PSC evening event in Parliament (from 18.00 -20.00) where you can hear from experts and politicians about what they are doing for Palestine.

The parliamentary lobby day will promote two of PSC's core campaigns: child prisoners and illegal settlements.

2) URGENT ACTION: Write to your MP about Balfour

This week, on Wednesday 25th October, parliamentarians will debate the legacy of Balfour.

We know that many MPs will be pushing for this anniversary to be celebrated. Please make sure that the Palestinian narrative on Balfour is heard by sending this message to your MP.

CONTACT YOUR MP AHEAD OF THE BALFOUR DEBATE :-
    https://palestinecampaign.iparlsetup.com/lobby/balfourdebate

3) Join the national rally on November 4th

Help us spread the word. Join the Thunderclap on FB, Twitter and Tumblr
    Join the Thunderclap :- https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/...-for-palestine
    What is a thunderclap?

Thunderclap is a tool that allows a single message to be mass-shared, flash mob-style, at the same moment so that it attracts attention and rises above the noise of social media networks.
    Thank you for undertaking the above actions and supporting Palestine. We look forward to joining you at the rally on November 4th and at the Parliamentary lobby on November 22nd, as together we take forward the campaign for justice for the Palestinians.

Donate to the PSC Fighting Fund: Every pound helps!
    https://palestinecampaign.nationbuilder.com/donation

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    National SJP is an all volunteer-run network, made for students, by students.
    ​Your support helps us to sustain our programming, including the annual conference and the Right to Education tour.
    PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

​​Donate to NSJP online through PayPal. To send a check, please email us.
    ​ All donations are tax deductible.
    ​Thank you for supporting the student movement!

http://www.nationalsjp.org/donate.html

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    s28 what do you see as the solution to Palestine/Israel conflict?.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One state democracy which treats all equally, not a racist apartheid State propped up by Western military-industrial complex or a two-state solution which enshrines historic oppression and discriminates against the Palestinians.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One state democracy which treats all equally, not a racist apartheid State propped up by Western military-industrial complex or a two-state solution which enshrines historic oppression and discriminates against the Palestinians.
    Do you think that this is achievable?.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Do you think that this is achievable?.
    No, why would a country like Israel give those who they see is inferior to them their own land, its like Australia giving Aborigines Northern Territory.

Things won't change until there is a huge international outcry from the big 3 powers: Russia, China, USA. And even then I don't think Israel will give it up gladly.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    good turnout on Saturday at the #Balfour100 #MakeItRight Rally

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    JOIN THE LOBBY OF PARLIAMENT FOR PALESTINE

Wednesday 22nd November
    12.00 - 18.00

On Wednesday 22 November, people from around the UK will arrange to meet with their
    MPs in Parliament to ask them to take action against Israel's illegal settlements
    (https://www.palestinecampaign.org/wp...et-2016-v6.pdf)
    and the abuse of Palestinian children under military detention
    (https://www.palestinecampaign.org/wp...-CORRECTED.pdf)

By doing this together, it shows MPs that there are huge numbers of people across
    the country who care about Palestine.

We need you to join the lobby! Please send a letter to your MP requesting a meeting
    (https://palestinecampaign.iparlsetup...parliament2017) (please only do this
    if you are actually able to travel to London on the 22nd November). We will then
    register for you to join us in Parliament.

All participants will be briefed in advance of our key parliamentary asks and what
    to expect when meeting their MP. You will also be invited to join the PSC evening
    event in Parliament (from 18.00 -20.00) where you can hear from experts and
    politicians about what they are doing for Palestine.

JOIN THE LOBBY DAY: REQUEST A MEETING WITH YOUR MP

(https://palestinecampaign.iparlsetup...parliament2017)