Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 337
  1. #1
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    15,908
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    What are your views on evolution?

    Simple enough question.

    Do you believe in evolution , the single celled, to mutli-celled Darwinism theory ?

    Do you believe, once the earth was a ball of gases too hot for any existence of life?

    Did life sprout spontaneously all at the same time?

    What do you think of dinosaurs? Did they ever exist?

    I think this could be an interesting discussion, provided everyone keeps their emotions in check and discussion is in a fruitful manner.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  2. #2
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    6,592
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Simple enough question.

    Do you believe in evolution , the single celled, to mutli-celled Darwinism theory ?

    Do you believe, once the earth was a ball of gases too hot for any existence of life?

    Did life sprout spontaneously all at the same time?

    What do you think of dinosaurs? Did they ever exist?

    I think this could be an interesting discussion, provided everyone keeps their emotions in check and discussion is in a fruitful manner.
    I understand that some of the questions asked are theories but dinosaurs, how could anyone doubt or dispute their existence.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    2,562
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I understand that some of the questions asked are theories but dinosaurs, how could anyone doubt or dispute their existence.
    Dinosaurs existing before humans is not plausible to some of the religious people, mainly Christians afaik.
    Last edited by GenericBrand; 9th August 2014 at 08:48.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    1,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericBrand View Post
    Dinosaurs existing before humans is not plausible to some of the religious people, mainly Christians afaik.
    Yeah they coexisted. Well known fact.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    6,592
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericBrand View Post
    Dinosaurs existing before humans is not plausible to some of the religious people, mainly Christians afaik.
    That was some nutjob in the US who thought the world was only 6000 years old, I don't think anyone took him seriously though.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    1,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    That was some nutjob in the US who thought the world was only 6000 years old, I don't think anyone took him seriously though.
    I'm really sorry to break it to you.... But a good chunk of Americans take this seriously...

  7. #7
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    6,592
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenkorma View Post
    I'm really sorry to break it to you.... But a good chunk of Americans take this seriously...
    Don't feel bad, I'm under no illusion that each country don't carry a fair chunk of nutjobs.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    38,772
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doubting that dinosaurs existed? Seriously?

  9. #9
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Lenapeistan
    Runs
    10,079
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also heard that moon landing was done in arizona.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    12,580
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dinosaurs must have existed. Even the quran states that there were monsters on earth before humans were created. Beasts before mankind
    Last edited by Down2Earth; 9th August 2014 at 11:25.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    17,912
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post
    Dinosaurs must have existed. Even the quran states that there were monsters on earth before humans were created. Beasts before mankind
    Actually mankind are the beasts before a superior species comes along.


    2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    12,580
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Actually mankind are the beasts before a superior species comes along.
    Humans are beasts, I agree

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    482
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever observations dictate is fundamentally true because that is foundational source of our knowledge ie we cannot differ regarding observed facts. Where people differ is explanations whereby these facts are explained. The quran explains things perfectly for those who have learned things to the level of understanding the quran.

    http://yopakistan.com/religion-forum...#axzz2vNFeOMSw

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    1,417
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mughal View Post
    Whatever observations dictate is fundamentally true because that is foundational source of our knowledge ie we cannot differ regarding observed facts. Where people differ is explanations whereby these facts are explained. The quran explains things perfectly for those who have learned things to the level of understanding the quran.

    http://yopakistan.com/religion-forum...#axzz2vNFeOMSw
    Can you please share the name of book?

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    19,209
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    That was some nutjob in the US who thought the world was only 6000 years old, I don't think anyone took him seriously though.
    Actually there are groups of people who still believe this. And say that carbon dating methods are wrong

    Of course there are also groups of people who believe earth is flat and it is a government conspiracy to hide this


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    2,562
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ There is forum called the Flat Earth Society, where the members actually do believe the Earth is flat

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Blackhole
    Runs
    3,505
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Do you believe in evolution , the single celled, to mutli-celled Darwinism theory ?
    Evolution is an observed phenomena. So there is no question of believing. Macro-evolution would just be an extension of the already observed micro-evolution like the Bing bang expansion theory is an extension of the observation that space is expanding in all directions (CBR).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Do you believe, once the earth was a ball of gases too hot for any existence of life?
    Gas and (dust) particles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Did life sprout spontaneously all at the same time?
    That is an interesting question and something I would love the scientists to research on. Is Abiogenis happenly constantly or was it a one-off phenomenon. It could be that the first organism came from outer-space. Apparently we are in the dark about how life started.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    What do you think of dinosaurs? Did they ever exist?
    That or someone strategically placed genetically engineered body-pieces throughout the world which fits the other such pieces to form a hierarchy of inheritance. I would take the former please.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    29,660
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericBrand View Post
    Dinosaurs existing before humans is not plausible to some of the religious people, mainly Christians afaik.
    Is there a mentioning of whether a creature existed or not before human or not in Bible,Quran etc?

  19. #19
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    2,562
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well apparently 'beasts' are mentioned in the Quran as roaming the Earth before Adam/Eve so it may allude to dinosaurs, not too sure about the Bible though, many Christians believe man was God's first creation, so the existence of dinosaurs contradicts that belief.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    1,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evolution is not some drawn up narrative by monks 2000 years ago. It's a solid theory done through the work and consensus of thousands and thousands of qualified scientists. It's a theory that continues to evolve and expand and can be used to explain natural phenomena, which proves its validity.

    It's not a "belief" thing - sure it's open to debate in the finer details as all scientific theories are, but the overall concept is pretty solid.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    90,668
    Mentioned
    7041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    I believe there is ample evidence in favor of evolution.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,992
    Mentioned
    901 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I believe there is ample evidence in favor of evolution.
    Do you believe Adam/Eve were the first humans?

    Or maybe not, as you believe in evolution?

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    90,668
    Mentioned
    7041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    I believe they were the first modern humans (Homo sapiens) evolved from Homo erectus and Archaic humans.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,992
    Mentioned
    901 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Okay

  25. #25
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    90,668
    Mentioned
    7041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    What are your views?

  26. #26
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    21,087
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I had an interesting debate with a group of A level students about evolution; I posed the question as to why animals instinctively protect their young?

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    90,668
    Mentioned
    7041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    I would say it's a natural instinct. What is your opinion?

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    18,992
    Mentioned
    901 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I too believe there is a lot of evidence for evolution.

    But Adam/Eve were definitely the modern humans.

    You don't necessarily go against religion if you believe in evolution, IMO.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    21,087
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I would say it's a natural instinct. What is your opinion?
    It is but why? The reason I posed the question was because animals put themselves at incredible risk to protect their young but gain no advantage for themselves because it is not as if when the young get older they will protect the parents. Each animals instincts are there to help it survive but this instinct puts the animal at risk of death with no apparent benefit so the question to all people who believe in pure evolution( Darwinism) is why.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    1,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    It is but why? The reason I posed the question was because animals put themselves at incredible risk to protect their young but gain no advantage for themselves because it is not as if when the young get older they will protect the parents. Each animals instincts are there to help it survive but this instinct puts the animal at risk of death with no apparent benefit so the question to all people who believe in pure evolution( Darwinism) is why.
    Evolution is not necessarily about animals at the individual level - look at the bigger picture. Not all animals have parental instincts. Those that do provide their offspring with advantages in surviving, and hence put them at an advantage. Parental instincts are clearly an evolutionary trait - it gives species an overwhelming advantage in survival.

  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    31,197
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I believe in both evolution and devolution. Whether we attribute this to gases, farts, science or poetry probably depends on the observer.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    21,087
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Why does it matter for an individual lion for example if the species survives? The question I am really asking is where does the instinct come from, if there is no benefit to the individual animal?
    Last edited by Bewal Express; 10th August 2014 at 06:01.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    2,155
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)


    That would be all before knives are out.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    6,592
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Why does it matter for an individual lion for example if the species survives? The question I am really asking is where does the instinct come from, if there is no benefit to the individual animal?
    There is a huge advantage for individual animals to firstly to breed as in a lot of cases they hunt in packs, lions are much more successful hunters when hunting in packs. Caring for newborns is also an advantage to the lions because resources are wasted when a cub dies, lions that breed successfully will also have stronger prides and a easier life, this is a huge benefit to breed and to protect its young.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    8,189
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across this interesting concept of Pan-deism recently.

    Per wiki:
    It's a belief that the universe is identical to God. It holds that God was a conscious and sentient force or entity that designed and created the universe, which operates by mechanisms set forth in the creation. God thus became an unconscious and nonresponsive being by becoming the universe. There is a possibility that the universe will one day return to the state of being God.

    Not sure if true but a tragically beautiful concept.
    Last edited by saadibaba; 10th August 2014 at 07:39.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    1,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Why does it matter for an individual lion for example if the species survives? The question I am really asking is where does the instinct come from, if there is no benefit to the individual animal?
    it doesn't matter to the lion - the lion has no ability to comprehend the future. the lion deals in desires - desire to eat, desire to reproduce, desire to care for it's young.

    Where do these desires arise from? The brain. Where does the brain arise from? The lion's genetic code. Now there will be random alterations in the genetic code - while the machinery for copying and replicating genetic code is miraculously accurate, there will be small deviations. Over vast periods of time these deviations have physical manifestations - horns, wings, eyes, etc etc, as well as giving rise to psychological traits. The traits that are beneficial will allow an animal to survive longer.

    So if a genetic deviation arises such that parental instincts develop, it will be beneficial to the species and it will be more likely to survive! Evolution is not a conscious entity - it's just a phenomena. It is not trying to make species more survivable - it does not have desires ... it's just a concept. We overwhelmingly observe the beneficial deviations in genetic code because those are the species that are more likely to survive - that's all there is to it.

    Btw this is a really simplistic view of evolution. I'm not too well versed in this type of science.
    Last edited by Chickenkorma; 10th August 2014 at 07:46.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    1,044
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadibaba View Post
    I came across this interesting concept of Pan-deism recently.

    Per wiki:
    It's a belief that the universe is identical to God. It holds that God was a conscious and sentient force or entity that designed and created the universe, which operates by mechanisms set forth in the creation. God thus became an unconscious and nonresponsive being by becoming the universe. There is a possibility that the universe will one day return to the state of being God.

    Not sure if true but a tragically beautiful concept.
    It's kind of like spinoza's god in a way?

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    8,189
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenkorma View Post
    It's kind of like spinoza's god in a way?
    Don't know about Spinoza's God but it's close to the concept of a higher power explained in the Sci-fi masterpiece "Solaris" by Stanislaw Lem. A decaying entity past it's glory with no direction or purpose but a child like curiosity and observation, with no regard or empathy for its subjects.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Runs
    9,472
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this sparks a lot of people, but my question is....who cares.

    Does it really matter if the world cam 6 billion years ago or 6,000 years ago
    Does it really matter if evolved from some other species or were created in the way we are now

    People argue about this stuff like their life depends on it, but it happened so long ago, that it serves no practical purpose to us anymore.

    Now abortion, stem cell research, etc. these are passionate topics as they impact our daily and future lives, but like how will it change the world in anyway, if its 6,000 years or 6 billion years.


    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
    Vince Lombardi

  40. #40
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    21,087
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenkorma View Post
    it doesn't matter to the lion - the lion has no ability to comprehend the future. the lion deals in desires - desire to eat, desire to reproduce, desire to care for it's young.

    Where do these desires arise from? The brain. Where does the brain arise from? The lion's genetic code. Now there will be random alterations in the genetic code - while the machinery for copying and replicating genetic code is miraculously accurate, there will be small deviations. Over vast periods of time these deviations have physical manifestations - horns, wings, eyes, etc etc, as well as giving rise to psychological traits. The traits that are beneficial will allow an animal to survive longer.

    So if a genetic deviation arises such that parental instincts develop, it will be beneficial to the species and it will be more likely to survive! Evolution is not a conscious entity - it's just a phenomena. It is not trying to make species more survivable - it does not have desires ... it's just a concept. We overwhelmingly observe the beneficial deviations in genetic code because those are the species that are more likely to survive - that's all there is to it.

    Btw this is a really simplistic view of evolution. I'm not too well versed in this type of science.
    I am no scientist either but from my point of view the instincts that animals have, are there to help it survive but putting yourself at great risk for the protection of the young means that your genes having programming which shows there is more at play than pure Darwinism. Take for example plants and their desire for their species to survive, why does it matter for an individual plant to make sure that plants carry on for future generations- for me their is a an intelligence there which cannot just be explained by Darwinism. There is no doubt that evolution is fact but only up to point.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Blackhole
    Runs
    3,505
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I am no scientist either but from my point of view the instincts that animals have, are there to help it survive but putting yourself at great risk for the protection of the young means that your genes having programming which shows there is more at play than pure Darwinism. Take for example plants and their desire for their species to survive, why does it matter for an individual plant to make sure that plants carry on for future generations- for me their is a an intelligence there which cannot just be explained by Darwinism. There is no doubt that evolution is fact but only up to point.
    You need to re-read the theory of evolution and Darwanian mechanics. "Natural selection" applies on a species level not on individuals. For e.g. Mosquitoes in my area in Karachi seem to have became resistant to mosquito spray perhaps because they evolved traits that makes them resistant to those toxins (Their short life-cycle may mean faster adoption)

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Blackhole
    Runs
    3,505
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    There is no doubt that evolution is fact but only up to point.
    Yes, there is epigenetics and Non-darwanian mechanics are involved in evolution as well. Then there is probability involved and race between sperms but that is part of evolutionary theory as well I think

  43. #43
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    4,972
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nobody really knows how life really started but 1 thing for certain is that water plays a large in this. Water is actually your best friend.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    19,209
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    It is but why? The reason I posed the question was because animals put themselves at incredible risk to protect their young but gain no advantage for themselves because it is not as if when the young get older they will protect the parents. Each animals instincts are there to help it survive but this instinct puts the animal at risk of death with no apparent benefit so the question to all people who believe in pure evolution( Darwinism) is why.
    One explanation I will put forward is that animals which did NOT have these instincts, had their species die out. Pandas are an example. It is not that nature suddenly decides trait A is necessary for an animal to survive. There are multiple traits present in inter as well as intra species. It is trial and error, some things work, some don't. When it doesn't species die out. When it does, species thrive and that trait becomes important. Clearly species which protect their young are more likely to survive going forward. In the past, few animals in one species, say lions, might have had the parental insticnts. So their young survived. Young ones of lions which did not have the instinct to protect their young didn't survive. So they couldn't pass the selfish genes. In the end the majority of the lions after few generations had this instinct in them. This ia a very simplistic view of course, it is much more complicated than this

    Also nature is all about accidents and luck. If there is an area thriving with plant life. A flood comes then the plants which will survive are those which thrive in water. If there is a drought the plants which will survive are ones which do not need water much. After some years when the place is normal again, you cannot walk to the plant and think, hey this area has enough water, why did nature choose to have plants which do not need much water
    Last edited by Indiafan; 11th August 2014 at 16:57.


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  45. #45
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,168
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Also nature is all about accidents and luck. If there is an area thriving with plant life. A flood comes then the plants which will survive are those which thrive in water. If there is a drought the plants which will survive are ones which do not need water much. After some years when the place is normal again, you cannot walk to the plant and think, hey this area has enough water, why did nature choose to have plants which do not need much water
    Nature is all about accidents and luck?

    How do you explain the alternate 90 degrees arrangement in phyllotaxy? Why is the Golden Ratio so prevalent in nature? Why rabbits breed by Fibonacci numbers? Why snail shells follow the logarithmic spiral equation?

  46. #46
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    30,071
    Mentioned
    1045 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Nature is all about accidents and luck?

    How do you explain the alternate 90 degrees arrangement in phyllotaxy? Why is the Golden Ratio so prevalent in nature? Why rabbits breed by Fibonacci numbers? Why snail shells follow the logarithmic spiral equation?
    I offer the thought that mathematics (and music too) exists in a meta-universe which we cannot touch, but which we can discover.

    Evolution can be considered an "accidentals and luck" process in that it is completely blind and without foresight. But the accumulation of genetic accidents produces creatures which can live in certain envonments. As the environments change over time, so do the creatures.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    19,209
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Nature is all about accidents and luck?

    How do you explain the alternate 90 degrees arrangement in phyllotaxy? Why is the Golden Ratio so prevalent in nature? Why rabbits breed by Fibonacci numbers? Why snail shells follow the logarithmic spiral equation?
    Actual many scientists believe the fact about golden ratio occuring in nature is fraud and/or exxagerated. But that is a different topic I won't touch on. Lets talk about my point

    All of these happened because they happened. Slightly difficult to explain, but out of a zillion things, if one is successful, it will be replicated again and again. Through trial and error these things were found to be most successful in an earth like environment.

    Our main problem at the moment is, we are looking at results first, millions of years of evolution and through it trying to deduce the process. So all these things seem extraordinary to use. The chances of winning the lottery are in millions, so one in million will win it. yet to the lottery winner it would seem amazing that his numbers came out and he will put it to divine intervention and plan. We are the lottery winners in this case. I will try to explain more succinctly when I have more time

    So from human point of view anything and everything will be amazing. Say instead of the golden ratio being so prevalent, it was pi which was. Wouldn't that be amazing? Or say a random ratio was prevalent which we give another name. Wouldn't that be amazing? In short some ratio, some proportion, some sequence will always be prevalent in life forms in an eco-system. And it will seem amazing when you look at the results. Just like you take any great artist or scientist and see his end results and not the years of practise, trial and error, wrong turns before he made his master piece


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  48. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,168
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    @Indiafan. I feel bad that you dignify my posts by giving such elaborate replies. I feel so wretched now.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    30,071
    Mentioned
    1045 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Simple enough question.

    Do you believe in evolution , the single celled, to mutli-celled Darwinism theory ?

    Do you believe, once the earth was a ball of gases too hot for any existence of life?

    Did life sprout spontaneously all at the same time?

    What do you think of dinosaurs? Did they ever exist?
    Yes.

    Yes

    This is interesting. The Earth cooled to the point where it could support life fome four billion years ago. The first bacterial fossils are 3.5 billion years old. This is not much time in terms of the age of the universe, suggestion that life will spontaneously arise wherever it can.

    Oh aye. Go and look in the museums for their skeletons. The current agreement is that they were taken out by a massive event about 60 million years ago when a comet struck the Yucatan Peninsula. This caused global cooling and most species died out with the dinosaurs. The smaller creatures survived and evolved into modern mammals and birds.

    Flowers are a comparatively recent invention. No dinosaur ever saw a flower. They were all dead 20 million years before plants evolved to produce flowers.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    19,209
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    @Indiafan. I feel bad that you dignify my posts by giving such elaborate replies. I feel so wretched now.
    Eh? Are you being sarcastic? BTW, took me a while to realize you are the same poster Gentleman. I enjoyed your posts then and I enjoy your posts now


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Garhwal Kingdom
    Runs
    10,600
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Are you guys all so awesome or do you google stuff for collecting evidence in favor of your arguments? I have been a lurker to this forum's debates, specially on religion and history.. and some of you guys could be Cambridge professors with all that authority over the subject

  52. #52
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    30,071
    Mentioned
    1045 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron View Post
    Are you guys all so awesome or do you google stuff for collecting evidence in favor of your arguments? I have been a lurker to this forum's debates, specially on religion and history.. and some of you guys could be Cambridge professors with all that authority over the subject
    Not really. You just have to read a bit.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    11,519
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole video series.

    It's short and informative. Fun listening to it.

    Barely 2 minutes each video. Discussing several questions that common people have.



























    3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

  54. #54
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    4,469
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    "The hypocrite seeks for faults, the believer seeks for excuses"-Imam al Ghazali (ra)

  55. #55
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    28,862
    Mentioned
    4735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Evolution is a mystery
    Full of change that no one sees
    Clock makes a fool of history
    Yesterday's so long ago, don't agree with what I know.
    Tomorrow got no place to be.

    I see the line in the sand
    Time to find out who I am
    Looking back to see where I stand
    Evolution
    Evolution

    See my reflection change
    Nothing ever stays the same
    But you know the name's The Game
    We all know what it means
    Nothing's ever what it seems
    Unforgiven, unforseen

    I see the line in the sand
    Time to find out who I am
    Looking back to see where I stand
    Evolution
    Evolution


    Ah, so this is what it feels like

  56. #56
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    35,960
    Mentioned
    1227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Ben Carson will have you believe evolution is "the work of the adversary".

    If people are still skeptical of evolution, please go read up on antibiotic resistance.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    4,448
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Point View Post


    That would be all before knives are out.
    Damn, atleast it was a human rib.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    7,705
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I don't believe in evolution when it comes to human beings, I do kinda believe in it for other animals such as giraffes

  59. #59
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    947
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Ben Carson will have you believe evolution is "the work of the adversary".

    If people are still skeptical of evolution, please go read up on antibiotic resistance.
    Ben Carson has so much in common with the hardcore conservative Muslims it's not even funny. Dude just doesn't want competition for his loony views.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,081
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speed View Post
    If I'm correct, you don't believe in polio vaccine either, isn't it?

  61. #61
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    947
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speed View Post
    But you will believe anything online written by some nobody lol

  62. #62
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,001
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadibaba View Post
    I came across this interesting concept of Pan-deism recently.

    Per wiki:
    It's a belief that the universe is identical to God. It holds that God was a conscious and sentient force or entity that designed and created the universe, which operates by mechanisms set forth in the creation. God thus became an unconscious and nonresponsive being by becoming the universe. There is a possibility that the universe will one day return to the state of being God.

    Not sure if true but a tragically beautiful concept.
    It is similar to the Advaita philosphy which basically claims that You and Brahman (simplistically, the Ultimate One/Reality) are one.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    761
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many questions and such little knowledge

    We will most likely never find out some of these questions ever

    It is better to believe in my opinion

    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

  64. #64
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    11,519
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahmood101 View Post
    So many questions and such little knowledge

    We will most likely never find out some of these questions ever

    It is better to believe in my opinion

    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Just compare scientific discoveries in 18th century with 19th century, see how much we know in a century, a lot! Gazillion things we know now that we didn't know before.

    We can't time travel but we put hypothesis and analyze things we see data, we discuss, we conclude. That's science way of doing it.

    And doing that we know a lot! A lot of information we have now more than ever. Imagine what we can know 100 years from now. We are finding the reasons for many many many diseases that we had no idea like few decades ago, isn't that awesome?


    3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

  65. #65
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    4,917
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some people accept it while others live in denial. This topic comes up a lot in religious debates because it leads to a live demonstration of religious brainwashing.

  66. #66
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,180
    Mentioned
    671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dayvancowboy View Post
    But you will believe anything online written by some nobody lol


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  67. #67
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,180
    Mentioned
    671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My mother tried to deny evolution once saying "how white people and black people can be evolved from one source" ,sad question.I guess the older you get religion gets ingrained in so much along with the belief that the world was made only for humans and we are an unique identity that we refuse to believe that humans are here only since 200 k years and the earth much before that.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  68. #68
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,081
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Actually mankind are the beasts before a superior species comes along.
    Lol

  69. #69
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    9,236
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fact of the matter is human evolution has passed several falsifiable tests and the evolutionary process has been observed in various scientific contexts including laboratory observation of change in genetic composition in mice and bacteria. Scientists have observed both micro and macro evolution.

    There is just too much evidence for evolution and none at all for creationism.




    Sua cuique voluptas.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    11,519
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope people watch the videos i have posted above, i could have posted just links and not made effort so it can be seen on pakpassion forum itself, but i wanted to do the hard work, so people watch them.

    They are fun. It doesn't make a fun of any beliefs or anything.


    3WCs, #1 Test #1 ODI team, Fab 9: Sachin, Dravid, Saurav, Kumble, VVS, Viru, Zak, MSD, Yuvi

  71. #71
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    4,469
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    If I'm correct, you don't believe in polio vaccine either, isn't it?
    No, but it is one method used to suppress fertility rates.


    "The hypocrite seeks for faults, the believer seeks for excuses"-Imam al Ghazali (ra)

  72. #72
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    30,071
    Mentioned
    1045 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    My mother tried to deny evolution once saying "how white people and black people can be evolved from one source" ,sad question
    I have often wondered how white Caucasian / European people evolved from the black Africans who originated in where Kenya is now.

    My best idea is that the black people were not able to make enough Vitamin D in the Northern climates, so started going down with rickets, cardiovascular diseases and cancers. A few albinos were born, able to make more Vitamin D from the weak sun, and these mutants were more likely to make it to breeding aging, so eventually became the majority.

  73. #73
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,180
    Mentioned
    671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have often wondered how white Caucasian / European people evolved from the black Africans who originated in where Kenya is now.

    My best idea is that the black people were not able to make enough Vitamin D in the Northern climates, so started going down with rickets, cardiovascular diseases and cancers. A few albinos were born, able to make more Vitamin D from the weak sun, and these mutants were more likely to make it to breeding aging, so eventually became the majority.
    Logically that makes sense but I'm not too sure about cancer although skin cancer is more common to white people now.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  74. #74
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Mountains
    Runs
    4,917
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have often wondered how white Caucasian / European people evolved from the black Africans who originated in where Kenya is now.

    My best idea is that the black people were not able to make enough Vitamin D in the Northern climates, so started going down with rickets, cardiovascular diseases and cancers. A few albinos were born, able to make more Vitamin D from the weak sun, and these mutants were more likely to make it to breeding aging, so eventually became the majority.
    More like the excess melanin wasn't needed, resulting in people getting whiter. Wouldn't that be a simpler explanation?

    Besides, evolutionary changes don't have to be practical. Look at Chinese..why do you think they evolved to have slanted eyes? What purpose does is serve?

  75. #75
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    9,236
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak_Fan View Post
    More like the excess melanin wasn't needed, resulting in people getting whiter. Wouldn't that be a simpler explanation?

    Besides, evolutionary changes don't have to be practical. Look at Chinese..why do you think they evolved to have slanted eyes? What purpose does is serve?
    I'm sure it serves a purpose and there are several explanations floating around.




    Sua cuique voluptas.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,590
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    They were the best without doubt. @shaz619

  77. #77
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    4,329
    Mentioned
    490 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketworm View Post
    Hope people watch the videos i have posted above, i could have posted just links and not made effort so it can be seen on pakpassion forum itself, but i wanted to do the hard work, so people watch them.

    They are fun. It doesn't make a fun of any beliefs or anything.
    I watched the videos - i don't know anything about evolution still but I am using DropBox now


    Does that count as something worth your effort?



    Azaadi. InshAllah.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,081
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have often wondered how white Caucasian / European people evolved from the black Africans who originated in where Kenya is now.

    My best idea is that the black people were not able to make enough Vitamin D in the Northern climates, so started going down with rickets, cardiovascular diseases and cancers. A few albinos were born, able to make more Vitamin D from the weak sun, and these mutants were more likely to make it to breeding aging, so eventually became the majority.
    Not necessarily albinos. Our skin colour is determined by a gene called SLC gene, which produces melanin. As the modern man ventured out of Africa into northern Europe, his dark skin meant that he would suffer the effects of rickets, osteomalacia and other diseases like you mentioned, which rendered the dark skin an undesirable trait there. The gene got mutated to produce light skin, which rendered him healthy. And the same gene got amplified due to natural selection.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    30,071
    Mentioned
    1045 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak_Fan View Post
    More like the excess melanin wasn't needed, resulting in people getting whiter. Wouldn't that be a simpler explanation?
    No, natural selection doesn't work that way, as I understand it.

    Offhand I cannot think of an advantage to having "slanted eyes" but that does not mean that none exists.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    30,071
    Mentioned
    1045 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Logically that makes sense but I'm not too sure about cancer although skin cancer is more common to white people now.
    Perhaps but the sun is stronger now as the Caucasians had to survive the Ice Ages so cancer would have been less prevalent. They would have been more likely to have been taken out by wound pathogens, food poisoning or a sabre-toothed cat.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •