Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"We have the players to win the 2015 World Cup" : Kane Williamson

Kane Williamson made an ordinary start to his international career as he made a nine ball duck against India in a one day international at Dambulla in August 2010. All that appears to be a mere footnote in history now as Williamson has established himself as an integral part of the New Zealand team in all formats of the game.

He has so far played 34 Test matches where he has scored 2377 runs, including an impressive tally of 7 centuries and 13 fifties. His contribution in ODIs are equally impressive where he has represented New Zealand on 54 occasions scoring 1699 runs with 3 centuries and 11 fifties to his name. His nascent T20I career is also showing signs of promise where he has played 19 games and scored 408 runs. Whilst his main strength is his batting, Williamson has also made contributions with his off-break bowling, collecting 24 Test, 23 ODI and 3 T20I wickets.

Despite his success as a rising star in the New Zealand team, 24 year old Williamson has recently made headlines for the wrong reasons as he was reported and subsequently banned for having a suspect bowling action. He is currently playing county cricket for Yorkshire and in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, the young batsman spoke about his recent performances in the West Indies, his views on captaincy for the national team, New Zealand's impressive bowling resources, answered questions about his bowling action, as well as looking forward to the series against Pakistan in the UAE as well as the 2015 World Cup.

PakPassion.net: An excellent Test series win in the Caribbean recently in which you played a key role?

Kane Williamson: Yes it was a great step for our team. We’d played a lot of cricket at home and gained some momentum at home so it was nice for what is a young side to go away and win in foreign conditions.

PakPassion.net: And a personal milestone reached by you during that series with your highest Test score of 161 not out?

Kane Williamson: Yes it was really pleasing, it’s always nice to get big scores. I feel we are playing a very good brand of cricket which is enjoyable to be a part of and you just want to be contributing towards it, whether that’s with a small score or a big score such as my 161 not out.

PakPassion.net: New Zealand seem to also be playing an exciting brand of cricket with a group of players who are maturing as a unit?

Kane Williamson: Yes that’s true, we are a young side and that’s what was so pleasing about the win in the Caribbean as a lot of the guys hadn’t played there before and conditions were so different to back home. To adapt as quickly as we did was a very good step for us.

PakPassion.net: One of those youngsters is Trent Boult who just seems to be getting better with each match that he plays?

Kane Williamson: Trent is an outstanding bowler who has performed well in all conditions. He’s a major asset for our team along with Tim Southee who has with Trent Boult formed an outstanding new ball attack. In addition Neil Wagner has provided excellent back-up to Southee and Boult and he has bowled a lot of overs too.

PakPassion.net: You recently captained New Zealand in a T20 international. That must be a huge boost for your confidence that you are being earmarked as a future captain of your country?

Kane Williamson: There’s a little bit of chat from certain quarters that I may be a future captain. From my perspective that would be great but I don’t have it on my radar. At the moment it’s all about playing and trying to win games of cricket rather than thinking about captaincy. If things head into that direction then that’s fine but if they don’t then that’s not a problem for me at all.

PakPassion.net: New Zealand could be playing a Day/Night Test match against Australia next year. What are your thoughts on day/night Test cricket?

Kane Williamson: Yes I’ve heard about the idea. I think it’s a pretty odd idea.

PakPassion.net: Given what’s happened with your bowling action recently, are you confident that you will be permitted to bowl again?

Kane Williamson: Yes I’m confident that my action will be cleared. I’ve been putting in a lot of work regarding my bowling action and that will continue. I want to be back bowling but I appreciate that it could be a slow process. Having said that, my role with the ball for New Zealand has never been a big one and I’m not some amazing spinner, rather a part-time bowler whose there to perform a role which I want to perform as soon as possible.

PakPassion.net: You face Pakistan and possibly Saeed Ajmal later this year in the UAE. Any specific plans for Ajmal?

Kane Williamson: He’s a fantastic bowler and will be a handful. We’ll need to come up with some plans for him no doubt about that and I’m sure closer to the time we’ll work on some specific plans for him.

PakPassion.net: Do you think New Zealand can deal with the tough conditions that they will encounter in UAE against Pakistan?

Kane Williamson: As a team we need to grow and series such as the one against Pakistan in UAE promises to be a tough one. We’ll have some good days and tough days as we grow as a team. Sometimes we’ll learn some harsh lessons but the performance in the Caribbean this year gives us heart and we can feel really positive about the way we adapted to the conditions in the West Indies and hopefully we can adapt the same way in UAE. It’s an exciting challenge to face a very strong Pakistan side in UAE.

PakPassion.net: The World Cup next year in New Zealand and Australia promises to be an exciting and open tournament. Do you think New Zealand can be ranked amongst the favourites especially with the tournament being played in home conditions?

Kane Williamson: We’ve got a lot of one day cricket coming up so that should be good preparation. I believe we have the players to win the World Cup and our home form in the fifty over format has been fantastic so we fancy our chances. Having said that one day cricket is such that a match can change very quickly so the tournament is wide open with a number of teams who could win it.
    Last edited by dhump; 31st August 2014 at 11:32.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If only Umar Akmal had tenth of the sense and brains he has.

this kid is very good.

Proximity to power deludes some into thinking they wield it.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Big fan of him and his attitude.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good player and a very good team under the tutelage of Brendan McCullum.

New Zealand, Australia and South Africa are surely favourites for the title.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Great interview, looking forward to seeing how we go in the UAE.

It will be a big test for all our players.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great in interview, and a sensible player. A lot will depend on him against Pakistan in the UAE. I reckon he's future ATG material, one of my favorites!

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    Great interview, looking forward to seeing how we go in the UAE.

It will be a big test for all our players.
    Don't worry, you said you'd win the series since we are no match for you.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Don't worry, you said you'd win the series since we are no match for you.
    The conditions are the worry, not Pakistan

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Back-tracking already?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Nope, I think we'll win 2-1.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    We'll be killed in the first, come back in the second and snatch the third.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been a fan of the New Zealand teams of the past however this current unit are playing some enthralling cricket. McCullum, Williamson, Taylor and Anderson are all wonderful batsmen to watch and they have a good batch of young fast bowlers in Southee, Boult and Wagner. They haven't made any progress with spin-bowling however since Vettori went into semi-retirement and that is their biggest weakness and why they struggle in Asian conditions. Nathan McCullum is an ok holding bowler in ODIs and T20s but that's about it.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Marked.You have no chance.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The current group of New Zealand players are amongst the best team(s) they've ever had.

Boult is a wonderful talent and in Williamson, McCullum and Taylor they have a solid middle order.

As for Williamson, he's always a pleasure to interview. Such a level-headed guy who is a real asset to New Zealand cricket.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Marked for future bashing.

Anyhow, the willamson lad is really good. He is the only guy who knows how to bat against spin. If anyone wants to see how kiwis play like school cricketers against spin, they just need to watch t20 WC match against Sri Lanka.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Marked for future bashing.

Anyhow, the willamson lad is really good. He is the only guy who knows how to bat against spin. If anyone wants to see how kiwis play like school cricketers against spin, they just need to watch t20 WC match against Sri Lanka.
    Maybe some of our batsmen should take some tips from your batsmen. How did you go in SL again?

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe some of our batsmen should take some tips from your batsmen. How did you go in SL again?
    I agree that our batsman are the same hacks but the problemo for you is that we have top spinners. You got nothing.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kane,
    What's the biggie? we have them too.

We have Misbah, the greatest fighter of all time. A captain who is better than Imran Khan.

Then we have Hafeez, a planner, a think tank, an adviser, the sage of the team who crafts some of the most intelligent winning strategies on the spot.
    And not to mention his batting skills and solid technique that leaves bowlers like Steyn in dust.

We also have Afridi, who is way past his retirement but we want to keep him for the X-factor to cast fear in the heart of oppositions just by his presence alone. And then he will also make the hearts of Indian female fans run faster.

We also have Umer Akmal, who is a "mature cricketers now" and just for fun sake who can't add 2+2 if we expand it to 1+1+1+1=?

Then we have fast bowlers who are a blend of Dennis Lille, Holding, Akram, and Waqar all combined in one.

All these players are in the class of super elite club of fielders who are more agile and run faster than a cheetah.

It's quite likely that teams like SA, Australia, and England just not show up on the match day to give Pakistan a walk over. So think about looking into this option if you don't wanna get mawled !!
    Last edited by FreeBird; 31st August 2014 at 16:40.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Where there is no war!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    A great fielding side. Decent at batting and bowling but won't win it despite having home advantage. We'll shut the door on them again.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laparwah View Post
    A great fielding side. Decent at batting and bowling but won't win it despite having home advantage. We'll shut the door on them again.

Sri Lanka are our World Cup bogey team now to be honest.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    NZ although haven't passed semi-final stage, I do actually believe are a good ODI side in home conditions. I think people are writing them off but they have a big chance, considering the World Cup will be held in New Zealand/AUS.

I see some quality young New-Zealand cricketers coming through the rankings showing NZ school/domestic cricket is high. I've seen videos of cricketers in NZ training(U17's) and they go through such a great process which is wonderful to see, if only our board could provide such facilities etc.

Anyways, I hope they pick Jesse Ryder for the World Cup. Been watching him for Essex this year and the ease in which he plays the ball is astonishing to see, not many like him in World cricket. We need all the superstars we can get and I believe Jesse is one of them. Super fielder too and adds something with the ball. He's a must in my view. Can open the innings.

I'm also a fan of Hamish Rutherford but since that debut test knock I don't know what's happened to him. Sad to see really as he's even struggling in domestic cricket nowadays. I hope he comes back into form because he's a quality act and beautiful to watch when he gets going.

I'd of course have Guptill opening the batting. A solid consistent opener averaging close to 40 with 5 hundreds. He's one of the cleanest hitters in the game and his recent CPL form was super. So Guptill would open with Ryder, providing the left/right combo which is needed at the top of the order. Followed by Kane Williamson.

My team would look like this:

Ryder
    Guptill
    Kane
    Taylor
    McCullum (c)
    Neesham
    Ronchi (wk)
    N.McCullum
    Boult
    Southee
    Mcleanaghan.

M.Henry
    Rutherford
    Anderson
    Mills

And I could include quite a few more players who I believe would be up to the task. I'd even take in Adam Milne with his express pace which would be so handy on those bouncy wickets. Hamish Bennet another one. Definitely Vettori if he's fit(?) & Ish Sodhi, I believe a leg spinner will be very useful. We saw how well PAK's leggies did in 1992.

Good luck to NZ, will be fun watching them compete. They are lucky to have such a well balanced all-round team.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Beijing, China
    Runs
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    NZ although haven't passed semi-final stage, I do actually believe are a good ODI side in home conditions. I think people are writing them off but they have a big chance, considering the World Cup will be held in New Zealand/AUS.

I see some quality young New-Zealand cricketers coming through the rankings showing NZ school/domestic cricket is high. I've seen videos of cricketers in NZ training(U17's) and they go through such a great process which is wonderful to see, if only our board could provide such facilities etc.

Anyways, I hope they pick Jesse Ryder for the World Cup. Been watching him for Essex this year and the ease in which he plays the ball is astonishing to see, not many like him in World cricket. We need all the superstars we can get and I believe Jesse is one of them. Super fielder too and adds something with the ball. He's a must in my view. Can open the innings.

I'm also a fan of Hamish Rutherford but since that debut test knock I don't know what's happened to him. Sad to see really as he's even struggling in domestic cricket nowadays. I hope he comes back into form because he's a quality act and beautiful to watch when he gets going.

I'd of course have Guptill opening the batting. A solid consistent opener averaging close to 40 with 5 hundreds. He's one of the cleanest hitters in the game and his recent CPL form was super. So Guptill would open with Ryder, providing the left/right combo which is needed at the top of the order. Followed by Kane Williamson.

My team would look like this:

Ryder
    Guptill
    Kane
    Taylor
    McCullum (c)
    Neesham
    Ronchi (wk)
    N.McCullum
    Boult
    Southee
    Mcleanaghan.

M.Henry
    Rutherford
    Anderson
    Mills

And I could include quite a few more players who I believe would be up to the task. I'd even take in Adam Milne with his express pace which would be so handy on those bouncy wickets. Hamish Bennet another one. Definitely Vettori if he's fit(?) & Ish Sodhi, I believe a leg spinner will be very useful. We saw how well PAK's leggies did in 1992.

Good luck to NZ, will be fun watching them compete. They are lucky to have such a well balanced all-round team.
    Are you Bullet Drive?

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Are you Bullet Drive?
    He wrote that post without green shades and lipstick.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    621 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I fancy the kiwis to get to the semi-finals of the world cup atleast, playing at home will be massive advantage + the fact they have one of the most talent teams they have had in a long time in short format of the game will mean they will be a match for most sides in the tourney. Their fast bowlers will cause problems and in taylor, mcullum and williamson they do have ODI match winners.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easily the top3 sides on paper along with Aus and India .
    Their batting is extremely dangerous with lot of firepower .

" you don't play for the crowd, you play for your country " - MSD

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Williamson working hard on spin technique
    Black Caps batsmen Kane Williamson is taking a steady approach to fixing his bowling action as he looks to overturn his ICC ban ahead of New Zealand's summer of cricket.

The 24 year old has been making incremental adjustments to his elbow extension.

"Rushing it I don't think helps. It's not something at the forefront of my mind but obviously I'd like to be bowling again so you can contribute to the team with the ball," Williamson said.

"Hard to know really how much progress is made without getting tested but it certainly feels and looks a bit different to what it used to so still a lot of work to do but hopefully I'm taking the right steps forward," Williamson said.

Former England international spinner Richard Dawson's helped the 24-year old fix his action while playing for Yorkshire in the off-season.

Williamson's currently in camp with the Northern Knights ahead of the Champions League T-20 tournament in India.

Read more:*http://www.3news.co.nz/sport/william...#ixzz3D333IRJL

Without Pakistan we have nothing....

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After Pakistan, New Zealand are my second favorite team so i will root for them in the world cup

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Williamson has been in superb form in the Champions League T20 so far.

Just goes to show that a good batsman can perform in all formats.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Williamson, Boult, Southee, Taylor, McCullum, McCleanaghan, I think I'm starting to believe Williamson here.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jusarrived View Post
    Top 3? LMAO. Sri Lanka is the top in terms of ODIS. Better than all you mentioned except maybe Australia. The hatred against Sri Lankans is immense in Indians, sadly.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Top 3? LMAO. Sri Lanka is the top in terms of ODIS. Better than all you mentioned except maybe Australia. The hatred against Sri Lankans is immense in Indians, sadly.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I used to like Nwzland but then i met some kiwi posters.

On topic, they will still not win the WC. Never.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1.Jesse Ryder
    2.Brendon McCullum* (wk)
    3.Martin Guptil
    4.Kane Williamson
    5.Ross Taylor
    6.Corey Anderson
    7.Nathan McCullum
    8.Tim Southee
    9.Trent Boult
    10.Mitchell McCleanagan
    11.Spinner

Looks Solid

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I used to like Nwzland but then i met some kiwi posters.

On topic, they will still not win the WC. Never.
    Replace Pakistan or India in your first line and kiwi with Pakistani or Indian and I will meet plenty of people agreeing with the statement as well.

If you think posters on PP represent the country for better or for worse, then you are mistaken.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leatherface58 View Post
    Replace Pakistan or India in your first line and kiwi with Pakistani or Indian and I will meet plenty of people agreeing with the statement as well.

If you think posters on PP represent the country for better or for worse, then you are mistaken.
    I like you leather uncle. You are cool. I feel my comment was a bit OTT. But yes some certain posters really make you not like a team anymore especially those who hijack every thread with their agenda and are not even original kiwis to begin with.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    549 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They are still not winning the WC.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3911 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Surely have a far, far better chance than us when it comes to going all the way.

Australia (clear favorites)
    India
    Sri Lanka
    South Africa/New Zealand

Pakistan
    England

South Africa would be right up there at number 2 alongside India if they stop bottling under pressure.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Guptill, Ryder, Williamson, Taylor & McCullum as main batsman.

Boult, Southee as main bowlers.

7 ASSURED places.

Top team.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Most Probably 'll get knocked out By Pakistan

"Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting.”

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like you leather uncle. You are cool. I feel my comment was a bit OTT. But yes some certain posters really make you not like a team anymore especially those who hijack every thread with their agenda and are not even original kiwis to begin with.
    Call us minnows? Expect us to counter

Born and bred Christchurch New Zealand
    Last edited by NZcricketfan; 19th September 2014 at 22:30.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    About time NZ win the ODI WC. I will be happy.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NZcricketfan View Post

I think he is talking about someone else.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Why do NZ always lose to Bangladesh though?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't mind NZ to make it past the semis for once. Would be good to see. I like their ODI team.

Quote Originally Posted by La Haine movie
    Jusqu'ici tout va bien. L'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    Why do NZ always lose to Bangladesh though?
    Why do we love our parents? Why is grass green? Why does India always whoop Pakistan in WC?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    No need to be so hurt.

Im a big fan of NZ cricket. Love watching them. Especially Williamson and Boult.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I'm not hurt. Just curious. Both events are equally puzzling. Why does India beat Pakistan in WC every time and why do we get whooped in BD of all places and manage to draw test series in Lanka?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    374 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I'm not hurt. Just curious. Both events are equally puzzling. Why does India beat Pakistan in WC every time and why do we get whooped in BD of all places and manage to draw test series in Lanka?
    India are a very good ODI team.

Bangladesh are not.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    1.Jesse Ryder
    2.Brendon McCullum* (wk)
    3.Martin Guptil
    4.Kane Williamson
    5.Ross Taylor
    6.Corey Anderson
    7.Nathan McCullum
    8.Tim Southee
    9.Trent Boult
    10.Mitchell McCleanagan
    11.Spinner

Looks Solid
    Would have Adam Milne instead of an extra spinner...

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Looking more and more likely that Ryder will be overlooked for the WC.

I guess we could always have Watling or McCullum open? @Space Cat @leatherface58 @NZcricketfan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I guess we could always have Watling or McCullum open? @Space Cat @leatherface58 @NZcricketfan
    Maybe we could get McCullum to open, creating room for Anderson and Neesham in one side. Something like this -

1.)Martin Guptill
    2.)Brendon McCullum
    3.)Kane Williamson
    4.)Ross Taylor
    5.)Corey Anderson
    6.)Jimmy Neesham
    7.)Luke Ronchi/BJ Watling (wk)
    8.)Nathan McCullum
    9.)Tim Southee
    10.)Trent Boult
    11.)Adam Milne

---------------------------------------
    Anton Devcich (or another opener)
    Kyle Mills
    Mitchell McClenaghan
    Middle Order Batsman
    Spinner (Craig or Sodhi?)

Still looks pretty solid without Ryder, there are so many more fast bowlers to choose from, the Blackcaps are spolit for choice. Wagner and Matt Henry are other honorable mentions. They don't have to worry too much about having a 5 and 6 who average in the 30s (List A) because they are both hard hitters, and if they fail, the NZ tail pretty much always wags. Guptill, Taylor and Williamson pretty much glue the innings together and give the solid platform

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    I'd go with Henry over Milne tbh, Milne is too susceptible to injury and could get taken to with his pace in NZ.

Ish has gone alright in LO's so far, I'd have him as the second spinning option.
    Last edited by Aman; 20th September 2014 at 04:39.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NZcricketfan View Post

This.

If the Aussies call us minnows, fair enough.

We can't say anything as they've been a quality side for years and we respect them and their accomplishments.
    Last edited by Aman; 20th September 2014 at 05:49.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Ryder should be a shock selection for the WC. Did you see the catch he took in the semis? A fat guy diving like Jonty Rhodes is an unusual phenomenon. Not to mention, the guy is good enough to get a game. He adds the X-Factor. I doubt chumps like Devcich would do much.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Confidence, they play fearless cricket against us. They fear teams like Aus, India and Pakistan because of their rich cricketing history, they don't see us as the same threat and play freely against us.
    Last edited by Aman; 20th September 2014 at 05:55.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Ryder should be a shock selection for the WC. Did you see the catch he took in the semis? A fat guy diving like Jonty Rhodes is an unusual phenomenon. Not to mention, the guy is good enough to get a game. He adds the X-Factor. I doubt chumps like Devcich would do much.
    Yeah, Ryder is quite the athlete, the man has swag as well

But nah, I don't see Ryder getting selected.. I think he'll be given another chance after the WC.

"We've made clear our expectations and he's well aware of them," New Zealand coach Mike Hesson said yesterday of Ryder.

Of the pair, banished from the national squad after an early-morning drinking session hours before the start of the first test against India in Auckland last February, Hesson said: "One player has run with it and made significant changes. The other less so."

"We haven't confirmed our whole squad yet, but players we will select would have to be seen to be putting the team first," Hesson said.
    Last edited by Aman; 20th September 2014 at 05:53.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Confidence, they play fearless cricket against us.
    We have to beat them in BD. We don't even have any rivalry with them, political, social or otherwise. Now is the best chance since they haven't won a game this season.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    We have to beat them in BD. We don't even have any rivalry with them, political, social or otherwise. Now is the best chance since they haven't won a game this season.
    Here's hoping, this is the rivalry now

Need to get some whitewashes back.

Debut
    Jul 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We don't hate lankans but it is hard to rate a team which is our bunny, we have been unbeaten against them in last 6 series , of course they won a t20 match against us recently which was nothing more than an aberration , we will bully them again when we get a chance

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'd go with Henry over Milne tbh, Milne is too susceptible to injury and could get taken to with his pace in NZ.

Ish has gone alright in LO's so far, I'd have him as the second spinning option.
    That's true and his stats say he isn't so economical, maybe he should be reintroduced after the World Cup, there is no doubt that he's talented though...

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    made a thread about this a few months ago, NZ are turning into an extremely good ODI side.

if the likes of McCullum and Anderson have a good WC, they can go all the way.

good balance of attacking pacers and a spinner to tie up the middle overs.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    made a thread about this a few months ago, NZ are turning into an extremely good ODI side.

if the likes of McCullum and Anderson have a good WC, they can go all the way.

good balance of attacking pacers and a spinner to tie up the middle overs.
    We have the players, but it's not always about that, you need to have the mental fortitude to get the job done in the KO stages.

That's where I think we may miss out, but with that being said, quite a few of the players haven't really been put in such a position before or have only been through it a few times. So who knows, they might just rise to the occasion.
    Last edited by Aman; 20th September 2014 at 06:27.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont rate the lankan side .
    the only new talent they have is Kaushal , they depend a lot on a ageing batsmen who re well past their best .
    Malinga is another start player for them whos past his peak .

on form and considering the conditions NZ> Aus > India >> the rest

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    the only new talent they have is Kaushal , they depend a lot on a ageing batsmen who re well past their best .

Having us as favorites, thanks for the compliment

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We have the players, but it's not always about that, you need to have the mental fortitude to get the job done in the KO stages.

That's where I think we may miss out, but with that being said, quite a few of the players haven't really been put in such a position before or have only been through it a few times. So who knows, they might just rise to the occasion.
    hmm, I think the 2003 team was very good but not the side they put out in the last 2 WCs, never felt like they could go all the way.

this side has quality right from top to bottom, look a very dangerous unit.

Proud Shehri of Misbah Ka Pakistan

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best filelding side .
    Arguably the best batting linup .
    The best opening bowling pair.
    Playing at home .

NZ will start as favs against every team team this WC .

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You cant really say that both are equally puzzling unless you are saying that Pakistan and India are at the same level and Bangladesh and Nwzland are at the same level as well.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Drive View Post
    We don't hate lankans but it is hard to rate a team which is our bunny, we have been unbeaten against them in last 6 series , of course they won a t20 match against us recently which was nothing more than an aberration , we will bully them again when we get a chance
    They have beaten you in the last three outings iirc.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This guy has india as the third favorites, i will take whatever he says with a pinch of salt.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You not rating them just shows your bias.

Debut
    Jul 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They have beaten you in the last three outings iirc.
    An aberration as I said before, we will restore the normalcy soon

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    797 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You cant really say that both are equally puzzling unless you are saying that Pakistan and India are at the same level and Bangladesh and Nwzland are at the same level as well.
    That won't be wrong cause in the late 2000s - 2012 we were a horrible side carried by Vettori. Kane, Ross and Southee hadn't developed yet. Even now, we cannot play spin that well though Kane plays it the best. BD also was playing some good ODI cricket at home. So you could say that we were more or less brought down to their level for a while.

It's puzzling cause Pakistan should atleast have beaten India in 99 since that team was far superior to India but still got thrashed. How is it that every WC, Pakistan bottles it? I mean Pakistan won against India in India but got thrashed in both the t20 WC matcues since then.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy has india as the third favorites, i will take whatever he says with a pinch of salt.
    Seriously stop talking and giggling .

India is not in top 3 ? Who is misbhas 11 ?

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That won't be wrong cause in the late 2000s - 2012 we were a horrible side carried by Vettori. Kane, Ross and Southee hadn't developed yet. Even now, we cannot play spin that well though Kane plays it the best. BD also was playing some good ODI cricket at home. So you could say that we were more or less brought down to their level for a while.

It's puzzling cause Pakistan should atleast have beaten India in 99 since that team was far superior to India but still got thrashed. How is it that every WC, Pakistan bottles it? I mean Pakistan won against India in India but got thrashed in both the t20 WC matcues since then.
    Gotta agree with you on that. I actually was watching Newzeland's match against Sri Lanka in recent WC that day. Only Kane was able to play spin, rest fell like a pack of cards. That is why i wont rate Kiwis much high unlike some of the other posters.

Mostly are basing it on the performance of the Northern Knights if you ask me. This place is filled with fickle fans.

Well, we are psychologically weaker than Indians on big stage. Thats a fact.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seriously stop talking and giggling .

India is not in top 3 ? Who is misbhas 11 ?
    Australia, Sri Lanka and South Africa.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Unsure about SL now, the cracks are starting to show.

Without a firing Malinga, what do they have to offer bowling wise? Herath?

And if Mathews or Sanga don't fire, who's going to score the runs for them?

A declining Mahela, aging Dilshan, unreliable Thrimane or the inconsistent Kusal?
    Last edited by Aman; 20th September 2014 at 15:54.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    1987 2011 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    They have the players who have been there and won it before. Why shouldn't they be among the favorites? SA are chokers and the cracks are slowly starting to appear for SL.
    Last edited by Aman; 20th September 2014 at 15:53.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    371 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They have the players who have been there and won it before. Why shouldn't they be among the favorites? SA are chokers and the cracks are slowly starting to appear for SL.
    Being chokers doesnt mean they wont reach the finals.

What cracks? They just recently won against Pakistan and England.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Where there is no war!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I feel NZ are always the dark horses. With explosive batsmen like Ross Taylor, Ryder if he plays and McCullum they can bat out any side. Great fielding side as well where as the bowling does not give much away.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    If they get Vettori back, that would be huge. They will be at home and due to the time of season in NZ (march), likely the pitches will be on the slower side. I think spin will be key in matches played in NZ.

They have a chance, and a lot of new young stars which don't have the hurt of previous campaigns. Don't know if we can qualify them as dark horses, they may enter as one of the favorites.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.