Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    2,865
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    India v Pakistan Test memories

    We don't get many India v Pak test matches. Its an absolute crime against cricket that we get 1 series a decade. How can you grow cricket when 2 heavyweights don't play against each other.

    What are your best memories?

    This has to be my favorite series. That lineup, Saqi, Waqar, Wasim, Anwar, Ijaz, Inzamam, Afridi


  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    19,603
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Chennai Test the ultimate memory

    Bitter memories Dehli Test of that series #JayaPrakash


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    5,774
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For me its Mohali Test and Karachi test Stand out, "The Epic Recovery" and "The Mission Impossible"


    We Have Good Players Just Need to Find Good Selectors

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Delhi,Bharat
    Runs
    6,684
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    2004 series,as we won :sehwag

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    545
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Chennai test match was my most memorable memory although almost snatched it from us.

    With the turn of millennium and with the arrival of Sehwag, everything changed

    Phainty of Multan is hard to forget

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    9,672
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    All of the above.

    How has Bangalore 2005 not been mentioned????


    Without Pakistan we have nothing....

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chennai or b'lore 1999, b'lore 2005, karachi 2005 or 06 i guess.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    5,503
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kianig89 View Post
    Chennai Test the ultimate memory

    Bitter memories Dehli Test of that series #JayaPrakash

    Review all the wickets carefully, and you'll find that jayprakash only gave afridi's decision that was wrong. And there was one more debatable (could have gone either way). The rest were clearly out

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    5,503
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multan 2004

  10. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    545
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Review all the wickets carefully, and you'll find that jayprakash only gave afridi's decision that was wrong. And there was one more debatable (could have gone either way). The rest were clearly out
    No need to review...we have a knack of crying foul

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    92,874
    Mentioned
    7263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Chennai 99 - my favorite Test match of all time - Afridi's brilliance, Tendulkar's masterclass and Saqlain was just magical with the ball.

    Bangalore 2005 - YK turning his career around with a brilliant 267 and 84* and we had to dismiss India on day 5 after Kumble had given them a 1-0 lead in Kolkata.

    Sehwag and Gambhir had frustrated in the first session, before Razzaq ran Sehwag out and Sami produced a ripper to get rid of Gambhir.

    Afridi knocked out Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly in quick succession before Sami produced a terrific yorker to get rid of Karthik. The last half hour was amazing though, Kaneria bowled his heart out and the fielders would appeal for everything and we had like 8 slips or something.

    The final dismissal was a classic though, Kaneria knocking off Balaji's cap.

    Karachi 2006 - Irfan Pathan's magnificent hattrick, Kamran's legendary innings from 39/6 to a respectable total and the brilliance of Asif with the ball.

    Pakistan vs India Tests have always produced magical moments, but I don't think the spirit will be there in the UAE. We need a series either in India or Pakistan.

    Nothing like a Pakistan India Test match. Nothing comes close.

    Mohali 2005

    We were leading by 40 odd runs with 4 wickets in hand at the end of day 4 with a long day ahead of us with Kumble at his peak bowling on a day 5 Indian pitch. Not the most exciting prospect.

    I was in 7th grade and we were all looking glum in the morning and didn't have phones back then so we couldn't check the score during class. However during the break, we went straight to the canteen and were astonished to see Kamran and Razzaq still batting. What a magnificent partnership it was and late in the day, Rana Naved game them a phainta as well to add salt to wounds.

    One of the best rearguard efforts in Test cricket you'll ever see.
    Last edited by Mamoon; 29th October 2014 at 14:19.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be the Karachi Test, was watching it live from the stands.
    Memorable comeback and pure annhilation in the 2nd innings

  13. #13
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    3,408
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chennai Test, Multan and Dravids 270 where he got out trying a reverse sweep Was it Rawalpindi?

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    14,515
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kumble's 10 wicket haul.. Always in awe whenever I watch it on Youtube!

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    14,515
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Somehow I never enjoyed India-Pakistan tests even when India were winning. Always felt ODIs were tailor made for IndoPak battles!

  16. #16
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    17,816
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Surprised nobody mentioned the 07 series where jumble ripped through Pakistan and had them 7 down but we couldn't win because of bad light.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    13,111
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohali 2005, Bangalore 2005, Karachi 2006.

    They were my personal favourites but I enjoy every Test match between the countries.

    Cricket has become too commercialised, many fans just don't value the Test game like they once did.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Hyderabad
    Runs
    14,515
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Surprised nobody mentioned the 07 series where jumble ripped through Pakistan and had them 7 down but we couldn't win because of bad light.
    I just remember the final scoreline of that series. Pakistan were woeful and India were looking at the Australian tour that season. We probably assembled our best ever team against Australia, still lost 2-1 :bucknor

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Where there is no war!
    Runs
    2,216
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Miandad last ball 6 ending Chetan Sharma's career.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jun 2014
    Venue
    Apna Karachi aik sau saath
    Runs
    2,036
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmeetkumar View Post
    Has to be the Karachi Test, was watching it live from the stands.
    Memorable comeback and pure annhilation in the 2nd innings
    High Five!

    I was there too for the last 2 days.

    It was a very overcast day I remember.

    My fave test ever!!


  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    54
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarachiKing View Post
    High Five!

    I was there too for the last 2 days.

    It was a very overcast day I remember.

    My fave test ever!!
    Felt like an ODI on day 3. Runs everywhere

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad those days are gone, Pakistan's test fortress has been deprived of the cricket it derserves for a long while now.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jun 2014
    Venue
    Apna Karachi aik sau saath
    Runs
    2,036
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmeetkumar View Post
    Felt like an ODI on day 3. Runs everywhere
    Even Faysal Iqbal made runs

    He is still going on about that century

    btw nice to see another Karachiite

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    562
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karachi 1978 - The only memory I have is of Imran Khan and Javed Mianded running back to the dressing room after hitting the winning runs. It was like a T20 at the end. Pakistan chased 160 or so in less than a session after tea.

    Karachi 1982 - This series I clearly remember. It was a long one, perhaps going on for four months in the winter. Pretty much all six test matches were memorable, but Imran Khan was truly devastating in this Karachi test. What a bowling spell it was in the second innings. I can't forget the way Vishwanath was bowled on an in-dipper.

    Bangalore 1987 - Incredibly tense game from day one till the end. Setting 220 or so as the target for India thanks to some help from the tail-enders, and then Iqbal Qasim and Tauseef piling up the pressure, in addition to that great innings from Gavaskar on a very difficult pitch - a perfect test match.

    Karachi 2006 - Winning a test match with 300+ runs after scoring 30 odd runs for six down, is an incredible achievement. Awesome test match.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,809
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be chennai 99.
    Cant forgot those two deliveries Akram bowled to Dravid. The first was plumb lbw not given by the umpire and the second probably one of Akram's best deliveries; pitching just outside the leg stump and hitting top of off stump.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    2,865
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by menace2society; 31st October 2014 at 05:12.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    1,831
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    99 Chennai is obviously a classic.

    2004 Lahore is one of my all time favorites and I surprised no one has mentioned it. I was up late night watching our new fast bowling sensation rip through the great Indian batting line up and it was such a treat. This test was the moment Umar Gul truly arrived with a great show of seam bowling.

    2005 Bangalore - The partnership between Inzi and Younis was brilliant after Pakistan was 14-2 on day 1. But the best bit of cricket in that test was played on day 5. Aggressive bowling from Afridi and Sami got Pakistan an unlikely win. Afridi's delivery to Ganguly was sensational but the moment Tendulkar got out was when we won that test.

    2006 Karachi - Mohammad Asif came of age in this test match. Kamran Akmal was brilliant but if we are honest then we can admit that Asif's wicket-taking deliveries were just as crucial to winning that match. It was a great test even though it became a little bit one sided eventually.

    Obviously, out of the tests I've listed none of them were as heart-stopping as the Chennai one simply because either team could have won that game. Oddly enough, in my lifetime at least I don't recall many test matches that weren't draws or one-sided.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    19,150
    Mentioned
    1509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyG View Post
    99 Chennai is obviously a classic.

    2004 Lahore is one of my all time favorites and I surprised no one has mentioned it. I was up late night watching our new fast bowling sensation rip through the great Indian batting line up and it was such a treat. This test was the moment Umar Gul truly arrived with a great show of seam bowling.

    2005 Bangalore - The partnership between Inzi and Younis was brilliant after Pakistan was 14-2 on day 1. But the best bit of cricket in that test was played on day 5. Aggressive bowling from Afridi and Sami got Pakistan an unlikely win. Afridi's delivery to Ganguly was sensational but the moment Tendulkar got out was when we won that test.

    2006 Karachi - Mohammad Asif came of age in this test match. Kamran Akmal was brilliant but if we are honest then we can admit that Asif's wicket-taking deliveries were just as crucial to winning that match. It was a great test even though it became a little bit one sided eventually.

    Obviously, out of the tests I've listed none of them were as heart-stopping as the Chennai one simply because either team could have won that game. Oddly enough, in my lifetime at least I don't recall many test matches that weren't draws or one-sided.
    I remember reading (on PP I believe) that flat wickets used to get prepared because they couldn't risk the national reaction to either side getting beaten heavily by the other.

    And that is why so many historical series are draws when compared to the Ashes

  29. #29
    Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    uk
    Runs
    3,597
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Channei test and Karachi


    The boyes play well the boyes do as i tell

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised no one mentioned Kolkata 1999. Pakistan recovering from 26-6 to 185 all out in 1st innings. Shoaib Akhtar getting Tendu and Dravid out bowled in successive balls. Pakistan collapsing from 264-3 to 316 all out in the 2nd innings. Tendu getting out which was the most unlucky dismissal I have ever seen in my life. India needing 60 odd runs with 4 wickets remaining on the last day with Ganguly still on the crease.

    Sadly, it ended on a bad note as the whole Indian crowd had come in to watch India chase down the remaining 60 odd runs but Wasim Akram and Shoaib Akhtar got the rest of the 4 wickets in no time, which started all the crowd trouble.

  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,846
    Mentioned
    688 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starchild View Post
    Surprised no one mentioned Kolkata 1999. Pakistan recovering from 26-6 to 185 all out in 1st innings. Shoaib Akhtar getting Tendu and Dravid out bowled in successive balls. Pakistan collapsing from 264-3 to 316 all out in the 2nd innings. Tendu getting out which was the most unlucky dismissal I have ever seen in my life. India needing 60 odd runs with 4 wickets remaining on the last day with Ganguly still on the crease.

    Sadly, it ended on a bad note as the whole Indian crowd had come in to watch India chase down the remaining 60 odd runs but Wasim Akram and Shoaib Akhtar got the rest of the 4 wickets in no time, which started all the crowd trouble.
    Kolkata probably the most unsporting crowd in India.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Kolkata probably the most unsporting crowd in India.
    I think they were just really ****** off about Tendu's freak dismissal, which until now I still can't decide if Wasim Akram should have called him back or not.

  33. #33
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,846
    Mentioned
    688 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by starchild View Post
    I think they were just really ****** off about Tendu's freak dismissal, which until now I still can't decide if Wasim Akram should have called him back or not.
    It was the worst dismissal but it happened and technically it was out. Sachin was in prime form in 90's i don't think any captain would had called him back.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    3,550
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NA View Post
    Karachi 1978 - The only memory I have is of Imran Khan and Javed Mianded running back to the dressing room after hitting the winning runs. It was like a T20 at the end. Pakistan chased 160 or so in less than a session after tea.

    Karachi 1982 - This series I clearly remember. It was a long one, perhaps going on for four months in the winter. Pretty much all six test matches were memorable, but Imran Khan was truly devastating in this Karachi test. What a bowling spell it was in the second innings. I can't forget the way Vishwanath was bowled on an in-dipper.

    Bangalore 1987 - Incredibly tense game from day one till the end. Setting 220 or so as the target for India thanks to some help from the tail-enders, and then Iqbal Qasim and Tauseef piling up the pressure, in addition to that great innings from Gavaskar on a very difficult pitch - a perfect test match.

    Karachi 2006 - Winning a test match with 300+ runs after scoring 30 odd runs for six down, is an incredible achievement. Awesome test match.
    Yeah Bangalore inning was his last test inning & indeed one of his best

  35. #35
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    2,865
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians trying to sledge Yousuf


  36. #36
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    4,563
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post
    Somehow I never enjoyed India-Pakistan tests even when India were winning. Always felt ODIs were tailor made for IndoPak battles!
    This 1000% times. I don't even remember a single memory from Multan Test or the Kumble 10 wicket. I know what happened in those matches, but I don't remember a thing.

    I do remember the famous comeback in the 96 Quarter-final, Anwar and Sohail slaughtering us and the match turning as Sohail lost his cool, Mohali in 2011, Misbah's infamous scoop-shot that led to IPL, the epic Pakistan tour and Balaji hitting sixes and becoming a legend in Pakistan, and even the recent Asia Cup and Nasir Jamshed destroying us in India.

    For me India vs Pakistan will always be Blue vs Green.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    167
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Bangalore 87 test match

    Just seeing the posts over the past 24 hours and listening to Sunny G talking about this test match whilst on commentary yesterday. What a scorecard- https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

    Now this is a real turner, do any of our older posters remember this match? Was also Pakistanís first ever series win in India!

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,244
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  39. #39
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    715
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's already been more than 13 years since the last test was played between both nations & I don't think both teams will play any other test match in this decade as well.

    From the test matches I've seen, I'd rate Mohali, Banglore & Karachi in no particular order.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    7,011
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasn't been a Test between the 2 most cricket-mad nations for nearly 14 years. Wonder how long this will go on for.


    Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    822
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan vs India test cricket was the best. Always highly competitive. We've been robbed for 14 years not being able to witness India vs Pakistan.
    Kohli may never play a test against Pakistan which is just sad.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    96,847
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikky47 View Post
    Just seeing the posts over the past 24 hours and listening to Sunny G talking about this test match whilst on commentary yesterday. What a scorecard- https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

    Now this is a real turner, do any of our older posters remember this match? Was also Pakistan’s first ever series win in India!
    That was probably the best innings of Gavaskar

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    1,318
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve been reminiscing about this a lot. What a shame that itís been 14 years, depriving cricket fans of what would undoubtedly be top class cricket. Iím lucky enough to say that I had the privilege of watching that 2004-2007 period where the two nations played consistently.

    For me, Karachi 2006 and Mohali 2005 are the ones that I always go back to. What a batting lineup we had, and same with the Indians. Respect to both sides.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    29,985
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Karachi 2006. What a time to be Alive and young

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    1,589
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best Indo-Pak tests have to be Chennai and Feroz Kotla 99, top players in both sides and great competitive cricket.


    John 3:16

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,567
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really glad I was old enough to watch and follow classics like Mohali 05, Bangalore 05, Karachi 06. A bit of an unpopular opinion here but a test series between these two teams, though I'd pick India to win the series, I personally wouldn't be that surprised if Pakistan would steal a game. Something about Pak-Ind test cricket brings out the magic, euphoria, and heart from the players on the field.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two favourites:

    Bangalore 2005 and Karachi 2006.

    Bangalore because it was a win that came from spirit and determination and Karachi simply because we were 39 for 6 batting first on day 1 and still somehow won the game by 300 odd runs.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    81,836
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Chennai. That Test

    How Pakistan won that match is still beyond me.

    Such a shame that these great encounters are no longer played. The world of cricket is poorer without the 2 nations playing against each other.



  49. #49
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    96,847
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Chennai. That Test

    How Pakistan won that match is still beyond me.

    Such a shame that these great encounters are no longer played. The world of cricket is poorer without the 2 nations playing against each other.
    Saqlain was at peak of his powers, good off spinners tend to do well in India.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    106,682
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Chennai and kolkotta 99 were both excellent tests between two good tests teams at the time.

    In particular chennai seeing shoaib akthar silence the whole of india with those thunder bolt deliveries.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •