Instagram

An evening with Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 89
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    1,863
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    India - The moral winners of the 1st Test at Adelaide?

    Today at Adelaide more than Australia winning or India losing test test cricket won a moral victory.It proved that test cricket is the ultimate form of the game with more fluctuating change of fortunes than any form of cricket.

    Today chasing a stiff target of 363 runs India made one of test cricket's bravest attempts or most spited challenges reminding you of a brave military batallion coming to the doorsteps of victory against all the odds.Infact at one stage with Murli Vijay on 99 India seemed to be coasting home to a famous win and again when Jayanta Saha struck some big blows to take India within 64 runs of the target.I would rank the Murli Vijay-Virat Kohli stan as one of the best ever in a 4th innings runchase if you evaluate the composure of the batsmen and strokeplay.Virat Kohli's knock may rank amongst the best ever in a4th innings run chase and arguably amongst the top 5 ever in a run chase in a losing cause.I will never forget the range of strokes Virat executed all around the wicket which included some of the most audacious drives.It was one of the best batting exhibitions against the turning ball.Above all I give all the credit to Virat for playing for a victory throughout the day and never playing for a draw.Although India lost Kohli's approach won a victory for the game of test cricket.Today we witnessed the twists and turns of a Hollywood classic with a most unexpected climax .At one stage at tea only 2 results seemed possible-an Indian win or a draw.A sudden flurry of wickets brought Australia back but it was only after Kohli's dismissal that the Aussies come back well and truly in the game.What brought the reversal of fortunes for the Aussies who were almost dead and buried was their fighting mental never say die attitude.India truly missed Dhoni who would almost certainly have taken India to victory.Kohli simply ran out of partners with no batsmen apart from Muli Vijay playing a supporting role.Even with Ashwin batting India could have crossed the line.To me it was one of India's top 5 performances of all in a losing cause.Full credit to India for coming back so spectacularly after a disastrous tour of England against a team that is arguably the best in the world on fast,bouncy,tracks.It vanquished England last summer and beat South Africa 2-1 on their soil earlier this year.True,the conditions were conducive to India where there was turn and hardly sufficient pace and bounce for seamers.The spirit of Indian cricket ressurected itself in this game.If any team deserved to win it was India.

    Today I got memories of India's famous run chase of 493 runs on the very same ground in 1977-78 when by coincidence India again lost by a margin of 48 runs.It was the highest losing 4th innings total ever which stands as a record till today.At one stahe at 415-6 India looked like pulling off the impossible.At the Oval in 1979 India seemed coasting home to achieve a record 4th innings winning total of 438 runs before blunderous umpiring decisions cost India a famous victory.Had India won today it would have been one of India's greatest overseas wins ever if you ***** the conditions.9 out of 10 teams would not have achieved the victory target today and in the 1970's ,80's or 90's I doubt any team would have played for anything but a draw.The game today proved the evolution of test cricket.

    I will remember this game for the brilliant exhibition of spin bowling by Nathon Lyon and the batting of Warner and Kohli.However above all it ressurected the spirit of the game after the tragic death of Phillip Hughes which took the morale of the cricket world to the rock-bottom.The mental approcah of both India and Australia won the day for the game.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    19,063
    Mentioned
    1496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    No


    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    19,063
    Mentioned
    1496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    What is a moral victory anyway?

    Is a moral world cup as good as an actual world cup?


    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    17,581
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No. We're not Bangladesh to take little pleasures like that.

    The scoreline reads: 0-1.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    10,390
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    if just putting up a fight is good enough for parosses these days then India has surely lowered the bar for overseas test tours. Can't say that for certainty though since I think most Indian posters would never agree to the OP. For me at least, I would want my team to win no matter what and anything short of it is a faliure. There can be positive from a certain defeat but moral victory, whatever that may be, can constitute to zlich in cricketing terms.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    6,888
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all!

    As you say, it's victory for test cricket. But in no way it's a moral victory for India. India played with a good frame of mind etc but they were completely dominated by Australia in the match.

    One has to not forget, Australia just lost 12 wickets in the match, and some of them were when going for the declarations.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    10,946
    Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing like a moral victory exists. Australia deserved to win. They forced the pace, took 20 wickets and won. Credit to India for taking up the gauntlet. But they lost.


    Narendra Modi and Imran Khan Zindabad! NOT

  8. #8
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    12,654
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's get somemthings Into perspective.

    India fails to take 20 wickets.

    It was Australia that declared, not once but twice.

    It was Australia and Michael Clarke who dangled the carrot for India to chase 365 in 97 overs. The vast majority of teams around the world would never give another team a target like to chase on the final day under 4 runs an over.

    Australia could have completely shut up shop but I'm glad they didn't becuase it a fantastic Test match to watch. India deserve credit for going for the target, they played fearlessly and Kholi especially deserves credit for an aggressive approach.

    However Aus were the dominant team in the Test match and they deserved to win it.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    17,580
    Mentioned
    811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There are no moral winners. Just winners.


    2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    30,832
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    We cant take 12 wickets in a test and claim moral victories.


    I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    Gondor > The Shire
    Runs
    19,063
    Mentioned
    1496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    We cant take 12 wickets in a test and claim moral victories.
    Especially given Smith was 162* and 52* at both declarations


    Quote Originally Posted by Saqs on Steve Smith
    And who taught him to bat? Chris Martin? Is he the Australian equivalent of ....wait, I'm struggling to think of another useless player of his calibre.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    4,528
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All been covered pretty well, when the other team racks up 12/800 at 4.3 an over for the match you ain't claiming a moral victory.

    if it wasn't for the rapid pace the aussie scored and their dual declarations this game would have been a high scoring rain impacted draw.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    3,550
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good one sided articulation

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,503
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol moral victory? Australia declared twice, plus india should had atleast went for a draw. The loss doesnt look good now


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    13,624
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If anything india should be slated for playing so open in the 4th innings n failing to bat out 90 odd overs for the draw


    If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    499
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, an epoch for a different approach in the longer fomat henceforth, maybe, but not moral winners. We were in that position of being able to win the match only because Australia declared not once but twice, if nothing else then only to dangle a carrot.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,820
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Australia took 20 wickets for 750 runs.

    India took 12 wickets for 800 runs, and lost eight wickets in the last session of the Test.

    I thought that India's top-order batting was fine - it usually is.

    But the bowling is just useless at international level, and if you are selecting useless bowlers at least ensure that they can bat a session to save the game.

    India and Pakistan are reverting to type. The former can't bowl, and are returning to their traditional role as cannon fodder overseas. The latter can't bat, but will usually be competitive outside Asia (after Amir and Asif return) because they can take 20 wickets.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    FL
    Runs
    1,405
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TBH, what's up with these moral victory ** ?

    India managed to take only 13 wkts outta 20. Got hammered in both innings and it was a walk in the park for OZ batsmen.

    Then when it came to chase, only 2 Indian batsmen managed to get 50 . The other failed miserably on an absolutely belter of a track. They still had a great chance to draw it. BUT they lost 8wkts after the tea and LOST the match.

    All the credits must go to the Aussies. They fought bravely. they played to win and they eventually did.

    Moral victory my foot

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,820
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    It reminded me a lot of the end of the Monkeygate Test.

    I know that a lot of Indians have somehow convinced themselves that they were somehow the victims rather than the perpetrators, but the real story of that Test was a gutless tail falling over in the final session - final over even - to lose a Test which should have been drawn.

    Fast forward seven years and it's the same story. Gutless and inept lower (and lower-middle) order batsmen racing over the edge of the cliffs like lemmings.

    Kohli and Vijay were fine. But most of the Indian team was as cowardly as it was outclassed, with bat and ball.

    12 wickets for 800?

    They should be ashamed to lose eight wickets after Tea when they only managed to take 12-800 when they bowled, in the entire match.

    Shocking. Shameless. Gutless, Inept.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    8,279
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Grand delusion. India got 12 Australian wickets in all, and lost all 20 wickets and yet the Aussies scored more runs. There was much difference between the two sides save for the sporting declaration on the final day.


    "This one doesn't take the cake, it takes the bakery" - Gavaskar

  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    4,972
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People are forgetting that it was a typical subcontinent pitch but with extra bounce, lots of overs lost due to rain and Australia declaring very early otherwise margin of defeat would've been over 200. Sorry but that's the sad truth.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    14,689
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    It reminded me a lot of the end of the Monkeygate Test.

    I know that a lot of Indians have somehow convinced themselves that they were somehow the victims rather than the perpetrators, but the real story of that Test was a gutless tail falling over in the final session - final over even - to lose a Test which should have been drawn.

    Fast forward seven years and it's the same story. Gutless and inept lower (and lower-middle) order batsmen racing over the edge of the cliffs like lemmings.

    Kohli and Vijay were fine. But most of the Indian team was as cowardly as it was outclassed, with bat and ball.

    12 wickets for 800?

    They should be ashamed to lose eight wickets after Tea when they only managed to take 12-800 when they bowled, in the entire match.

    Shocking. Shameless. Gutless, Inept.
    I think not even any Indian poster is claiming the victory except the bot Harsh Thakor.

    So I don't know where you get the impression that Indian posters think they are victims.

    Yes, they fought bravely

    But a defeat is a defeat.

    And in the end they lost to a better team.

    End of story.

    By the way in test cricket Indian team unable to take 20 wickets outside their country has always been the case.

    Should they be more ashamed of it this time?

    No they should not.

    It's a common thing.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  23. #23
    Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    137
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, India have now moved to #1 in the ICC Moral Victories Ranking..

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    1,863
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dr_Bassim;7360837]I think not even any Indian poster is claiming the victory except the bot Harsh Thakor.

    So I don't know where you get the impression that Indian posters think they are victims.

    Yes, they fought bravely

    Why do you call me a BOT?

    I don't deny India has batting weaknesses and capitulated but did it not stage a heroic fightback?Did not India make a remarkable fightback to come within touching distance of a target of 363 runs against arguably the best team in those conditions?I agree Australia is overall better but how many teams in such dissaray have come back so spectacularly against one of the top sides in the world?Virat's knock was classic and till the fall of the 6th wicket India looked like acheiving an amazing win.What I parised was the fighting spirit of keeping the lame of test cricket alive.In that context India won the day.Not many taems have ever come back after such adefeat like Inda who were vanquished in England last summer.

    But a defeat is a defeat.

    And in the end they lost to a better team.

    End of story.

    By the way in test cricket Indian team unable to take 20 wickets outside their country has always been the case.

    Should they be more ashamed of it this time?

    No they should not.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    11,820
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I think not even any Indian poster is claiming the victory except the bot Harsh Thakor.

    So I don't know where you get the impression that Indian posters think they are victims.

    Yes, they fought bravely

    But a defeat is a defeat.

    And in the end they lost to a better team.

    End of story.

    By the way in test cricket Indian team unable to take 20 wickets outside their country has always been the case.

    Should they be more ashamed of it this time?

    No they should not.

    It's a common thing.
    Sorry Dr Bassim, you've misunderstood my point.

    India never took on board the collapse at Sydney in 07-08 (Monkeygate) because they were too busy playing the victim.

    The lesson was the need to ensure that you take into a Test a team whose lower order can hang around long enough to save the game.

    I thought that after Kohli the bottom seven batsmen were shockingly cowardly today.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    1,863
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I think not even any Indian poster is claiming the victory except the bot Harsh Thakor.

    So I don't know where you get the impression that Indian posters think they are victims.

    Yes, they fought bravely



    But a defeat is a defeat.

    And in the end they lost to a better team.

    End of story.

    By the way in test cricket Indian team unable to take 20 wickets outside their country has always been the case.

    Should they be more ashamed of it this time?

    No they should not.

    It's a common thing.
    Why do you call me a BOT?

    I don't deny India has batting weaknesses and capitulated but did it not stage a heroic fightback?Did not India make a remarkable fightback to come within touching distance of a target of 363 runs against arguably the best team in those conditions?I agree Australia is overall better but how many teams in such dissaray have come back so spectacularly against one of the top sides in the world?Virat's knock was classic and till the fall of the 6th wicket India looked like acheiving an amazing win.What I parised was the fighting spirit of keeping the lame of test cricket alive.In that context India won the day.Not many taems have ever come back after such a defeat like Inda who were vanquished in England last summer.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2010
    Runs
    8,279
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^ Could be because you rarely reply to any comments made on the threads you start?


    "This one doesn't take the cake, it takes the bakery" - Gavaskar

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    69,652
    Mentioned
    1469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Moral winners....what's the point of being a moral winner?



  29. #29
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    14,689
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Why do you call me a BOT?

    I don't deny India has batting weaknesses and capitulated but did it not stage a heroic fightback?Did not India make a remarkable fightback to come within touching distance of a target of 363 runs against arguably the best team in those conditions?I agree Australia is overall better but how many teams in such dissaray have come back so spectacularly against one of the top sides in the world?Virat's knock was classic and till the fall of the 6th wicket India looked like acheiving an amazing win.What I parised was the fighting spirit of keeping the lame of test cricket alive.In that context India won the day.Not many taems have ever come back after such a defeat like Inda who were vanquished in England last summer.
    That's the first time I've ever seen you respond to a post.

    I thought you were a bot.

    On topic, Yes they fought brilliantly and did higher than expected but only because of Clarke's declaration.

    In fact, Clarke made this game for India.

    Had he batted on, India would not have won or lost and the game could have finished as a draw.

    I think you need to factor that fact, that Australia were not bowled out for 290 and Indians were set 364 to win. It was a bold batting by Australia and a feisty declaration by Clarke that set into motion a good Indian day.

    Were they moral victors Because of Clarke?

    I know and you know.

    If India had won, yes a great win.

    A loss, and I think Australia ended on a higher note.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  30. #30
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    1,863
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dr Baasim I wonder why you call me a bot?I have answered on many an occassion and you can check.I wish to state that I agree that Australia declared,the Indian bowling attack fragile and the Indian batting tail surrendered submissively.Without rain and declaration it would have been a different story.I am just analyzing the last day and considering that India were a team in tatters after the England tour.To be at one stage coasting home or heading for a victory towards achieving a famous win was an achievement in itself against a team not so long ago rated the best in the world.

    Consider the inexperience of this Indian unit without Dhoni.His presence could have made a major difference.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    14,689
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Dr Baasim I wonder why you call me a bot?I have answered on many an occassion and you can check.I wish to state that I agree that Australia declared,the Indian bowling attack fragile and the Indian batting tail surrendered submissively.Without rain and declaration it would have been a different story.I am just analyzing the last day and considering that India were a team in tatters after the England tour.To be at one stage coasting home or heading for a victory towards achieving a famous win was an achievement in itself against a team not so long ago rated the best in the world.

    Consider the inexperience of this Indian unit without Dhoni.His presence could have made a major difference.
    Well after you acknowledge everything..

    then a better heading would be...

    Were India moral victors of a day 5 display in Adelaide test?

    And even then I don't thing you have a very strong case, considering India lost.

    Can India be proud of the way they went about on day 5 wearing pitch? That headline would have been less sensational and a lot of posters would have agreed including me.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    1,275
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cringe at the term "moral winner". India played well, but they were not able to cross the line and LOST. They are the LOSERS of the cricket match. Whether it was a 48 run loss, or a 1 run loss, the winner is the winner, and the loser is the loser.


    Aanay do!

  33. #33
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    19,424
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nope. Aus declared both times. Aus dominated this test. Kudos for Indians to make this test great but there was no moral victory here.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  34. #34
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    13,418
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Moral Victory?



    You can give them credit for fighting, well Kohli and Vijay anyway, but a moral victory is useless and just is to make the fans feel good about themselves.


    "When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

  35. #35
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    23,763
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I'd rather be the moral loser if it meant winning the actual game.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    NY
    Runs
    2,204
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    To be really honest, at one point I thought Team Australia will give up. So I think its the moral victory for Australia for believing in themselves, their gameplan was pretty clear they just wanted one wicket either Murli Vijay or Virat Kholi. If some how they managed they knew they have the game, its kinda embarrassing when some one steals the win from your mouth. And to be satisfied with this loss, I feel like India has lowered its bar. Good thing about this test match was Kohlis attitude and his captaincy, Kohli should be retained for the rest of the series.

    When Murli and Kholi were on the crease it felt like they could play whole day, they were timing the ball superbly and lyon wasnt that threatening to them, ***** sharma should be dropped asap.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    15,156
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobashir View Post
    Not at all!

    As you say, it's victory for test cricket. But in no way it's a moral victory for India. India played with a good frame of mind etc but they were completely dominated by Australia in the match.

    One has to not forget, Australia just lost 12 wickets in the match, and some of them were when going for the declarations.
    THIS !

    So much time lost on day 2 but AUS smashed IND bowlers so much they still forced a result.
    Parosees still didnt take20 wickets.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Venue
    Hawks Fortress
    Runs
    29,601
    Mentioned
    4755 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Why are some Indian fans satisfied by this performance?

    You needed 120 with 8 wickets left and you lost by 50 runs!! Vijay and Kohli can be proud of a couple of top class innings, the rest of the team should be ashamed. They crapped the bed when they had the chance for an historic win.

    Next game at the Gabba, good luck winning there.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90MPH View Post
    Let's get somemthings Into perspective.

    India fails to take 20 wickets.

    It was Australia that declared, not once but twice.

    It was Australia and Michael Clarke who dangled the carrot for India to chase 365 in 97 overs. The vast majority of teams around the world would never give another team a target like to chase on the final day under 4 runs an over.

    Australia could have completely shut up shop but I'm glad they didn't becuase it a fantastic Test match to watch. India deserve credit for going for the target, they played fearlessly and Kholi especially deserves credit for an aggressive approach.

    However Aus were the dominant team in the Test match and they deserved to win it.
    EXACTLY LOL It was Clarke's brilliant captaincy as he had faith in his bowlers. When a team declares twice and scores at 4-5 RPP, I don't see how even talk of a 'moral victory' comes into play

  40. #40
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    23,763
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asif81 View Post
    adding to this moral victory thing , india has got another moral victory against Pakistan in hockey today
    Woohoo!



  41. #41
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    22,321
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    No. Recently, there was a "Moral winning" debate after Dubai Test also. Guys, win is a win, loss is a loss. If anything, I 'll say IND 'll go to next Test with lot more mentally drained. Indians are not fool & I am sure Shastri is damn upset with Umpiring, with his Captain & his tail. Why?

    1. If IND had any chance of avoiding 4-0 without significant contribution from weather Gods - that was at Adelaide. With over 50 overs lost due to rain (& time wasting), on this absolute belter they failed to avoid defeat - one can understand their chances at Gabba, MCG & SCG

    2. MJ had a poor match - he 'll make up that in next 3 matches

    3. Kohli had one of the best ever performance in a single Test, still it wasn't good enough. If you loose even after this sort of individual performance, normally your moral goes down.

    4. As said, Indians are not fool - they picked the Adelaide Team for a draw in mind (otherwise would have gone with 5 bowlers on that track). They should be damn upset not to survive 10 more overs.

    5. OF ALL, IF AN OFF-SPINNER TAKES 12 WICKETS TO BEAT INDIA, NO INDIAN 'LL EVER BE MORALLY HIGH. Now they 'll have to face MJ, Harris & Strak at Gabba in 4 days time. Yah, Team India must be high on moral right now.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    24,282
    Mentioned
    742 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I'd rather be the moral loser if it meant winning the actual game.
    Yep.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    11,705
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Tbh I thought Indians would get around 220-240 in the 2nds innings so in that sense they have done better than they or I thought. Overall the batting of especially Kohli was great but the bowling still lacks any belief but not talent.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    1,275
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only small time Indiand can take delight in these moral victories.


    Aanay do!

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    1,275
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^typo delete
    Only small time *Indians can take delight in these moral victories.


    Aanay do!

  46. #46
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    2,588
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but it was pleasing to see Virat Kohli walk the talk, It was one of best knock ever played by Asian batsmen on Day 5 pitch outside Asia. A superstar was born, India found new leader. He plays with so much passion, its unreal. Indians are relieved that he will be at helm of Indian Cricket proceedings very soon. He will be 4th all time greatest cricketer produced by India across formats after Sachin, Gavaskar, Kapil.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    3,495
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOl at people calling Harsh Bot, he replies to posts and a very knowledgeable poster.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    2,687
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You either win or lose. We played great and lost, no shame in it and this "moral victory" thing is only a way for light hearted fans to cope with defeat.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Aap key Dil main
    Runs
    1,817
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OP is short
    "All iz well"?

  50. #50
    Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    2nd Room on the left
    Runs
    18,266
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol what is moral victory in cricket India absolutely bottled it you can call it a "CHOKE"


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    If Hafeez can get two hundreds in a game anyone can.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    2,696
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think we had lost the test when pujara, vijay, rahane, kohli got out after getting starts & failed to make it big in the first innings. A lead of 70+ was always going to be a decisive.

    In our 2nd innings we were always fighting a losing battle but kudos to vijay & kohli for doing what they did.

    We played better than the last three tests in england courtesy of kohli but we cant claim a moral victory.
    Last edited by aukhan; 14th December 2014 at 11:03.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,394
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How can a losing team become moral winners? If this test ended in a draw then you could have said something like that but even in that case australia had to declare it twice. So a big 'No'.

    .


    Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

  53. #53
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Canadian gone English
    Runs
    3,180
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like winning more so than getting the prize for participation and trying really, really hard.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    5,142
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Thakor View Post
    Today at Adelaide more than Australia winning or India losing test test cricket won a moral victory.It proved that test cricket is the ultimate form of the game with more fluctuating change of fortunes than any form of cricket.

    Today chasing a stiff target of 363 runs India made one of test cricket's bravest attempts or most spited challenges reminding you of a brave military batallion coming to the doorsteps of victory against all the odds.Infact at one stage with Murli Vijay on 99 India seemed to be coasting home to a famous win and again when Jayanta Saha struck some big blows to take India within 64 runs of the target.I would rank the Murli Vijay-Virat Kohli stan as one of the best ever in a 4th innings runchase if you evaluate the composure of the batsmen and strokeplay.Virat Kohli's knock may rank amongst the best ever in a4th innings run chase and arguably amongst the top 5 ever in a run chase in a losing cause.I will never forget the range of strokes Virat executed all around the wicket which included some of the most audacious drives.It was one of the best batting exhibitions against the turning ball.Above all I give all the credit to Virat for playing for a victory throughout the day and never playing for a draw.Although India lost Kohli's approach won a victory for the game of test cricket.Today we witnessed the twists and turns of a Hollywood classic with a most unexpected climax .At one stage at tea only 2 results seemed possible-an Indian win or a draw.A sudden flurry of wickets brought Australia back but it was only after Kohli's dismissal that the Aussies come back well and truly in the game.What brought the reversal of fortunes for the Aussies who were almost dead and buried was their fighting mental never say die attitude.India truly missed Dhoni who would almost certainly have taken India to victory.Kohli simply ran out of partners with no batsmen apart from Muli Vijay playing a supporting role.Even with Ashwin batting India could have crossed the line.To me it was one of India's top 5 performances of all in a losing cause.Full credit to India for coming back so spectacularly after a disastrous tour of England against a team that is arguably the best in the world on fast,bouncy,tracks.It vanquished England last summer and beat South Africa 2-1 on their soil earlier this year.True,the conditions were conducive to India where there was turn and hardly sufficient pace and bounce for seamers.The spirit of Indian cricket ressurected itself in this game.If any team deserved to win it was India.

    Today I got memories of India's famous run chase of 493 runs on the very same ground in 1977-78 when by coincidence India again lost by a margin of 48 runs.It was the highest losing 4th innings total ever which stands as a record till today.At one stahe at 415-6 India looked like pulling off the impossible.At the Oval in 1979 India seemed coasting home to achieve a record 4th innings winning total of 438 runs before blunderous umpiring decisions cost India a famous victory.Had India won today it would have been one of India's greatest overseas wins ever if you ***** the conditions.9 out of 10 teams would not have achieved the victory target today and in the 1970's ,80's or 90's I doubt any team would have played for anything but a draw.The game today proved the evolution of test cricket.

    I will remember this game for the brilliant exhibition of spin bowling by Nathon Lyon and the batting of Warner and Kohli.However above all it ressurected the spirit of the game after the tragic death of Phillip Hughes which took the morale of the cricket world to the rock-bottom.The mental approcah of both India and Australia won the day for the game.
    Congratulations on this "moral win" in chennai 1999 and Bangalore 1987 too. Rubbish!

  55. #55
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    6,973
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Moral victory? Whatever that means.

    We fought very well, but Australia were deserving winners. And on a pitch which gave us the best chance of at least coming out with a draw, Aus are now 1-0 ahead and most likely looking at 4-0 again.

    Our bowling took 12 wickets in total and huge question marks remain on their ability to take 20 wickets even on helpful pitches. Gabba will tell us more.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    486
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians are bad losers and have a pathetic overseas record. They can't win anything abroad and are just trying to console themselves by claiming a moral victory. Australia played brilliantly and outclassed India completely. My prediction is a complete whitewash for India in this series, they are not going to win even a single match.

  57. #57
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    19,050
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Such a sad thread really its like we are one of the associate teams and we are happy we reached the 5th day of a test match.Lets not troll ourselves.
    Pathetic performance from bowlers ,most batsmen and fielding wasn't that good either.The only reason we even came near was coz Kohli going for the win and he does well when he has chase in his mind. Vijay though was a positive.


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  58. #58
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    FL
    Runs
    1,405
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amax View Post
    LOl at people calling Harsh Bot, he replies to posts and a very knowledgeable poster.
    "very delusional" would be a proper adjective.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    4,240
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    india should be very disappointed. these conditions were very similar to the ones where pakistan smashed the aussies. india will get their next shot in the sydney test, i hope they play better than what they did here

  60. #60
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,394
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If players like hack-one and rohit had even shown 50% of the effort which they do while mocking players and arguing with the opposition players then india would have won this match.

    You have to walk the talk which most of the indian players aren't capable of doing. And they all look like jokers after the match result. Look at hack-one asking warner to go back to his crease. I hope he doesn't play the remaining test matches.


    Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

  61. #61
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So are India moral victors in the second and third tests as well? India on their way to a moral victory whitewash

  62. #62
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Boston MA (from Sydney Aus)
    Runs
    27,222
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    So are India moral victors in the second and third tests as well? India on their way to a moral victory whitewash
    First Test - India moral winners with a superb 5th day chase despite taking only 12 wickets for the match and Aus declaring both innings
    Second Test - India moral winners because of Vijay's 140+ at the Gabba, home of bounce
    Third Test - India moral winners because of Virat Kohli's press conference sticking it up to the gor@s and managing to draw the game

    What would be needed for an Indian moral victory in Sydney?


    Yes there are sports other than cricket. Keep track of what's happening at @SportsPakPassion on Twitter!

    Broaden your horizons. Talk about other sports that the world plays in our Sports Corner forum!

  63. #63
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OZGOD View Post
    First Test - India moral winners with a superb 5th day chase despite taking only 12 wickets for the match and Aus declaring both innings
    Second Test - India moral winners because of Vijay's 140+ at the Gabba, home of bounce
    Third Test - India moral winners because of Virat Kohli's press conference sticking it up to the gor@s and managing to draw the game

    What would be needed for an Indian moral victory in Sydney?
    Probably Pujara scoring 50 is enough for them to claim moral victory in the 4th test. Or perhaps not conceding 500 runs

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Boston MA (from Sydney Aus)
    Runs
    27,222
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    Probably Pujara scoring 50 is enough for them to claim moral victory in the 4th test. Or perhaps not conceding 500 runs
    I think they would prefer qualitative rather than quantitative things for the moral victory. Something showing aggression. Maybe a strategic Kohli sledge. Or a Sharma staredown?


    Yes there are sports other than cricket. Keep track of what's happening at @SportsPakPassion on Twitter!

    Broaden your horizons. Talk about other sports that the world plays in our Sports Corner forum!

  65. #65
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    206
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be fair india has competed well in this series unlike previous tour

  66. #66
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avicricket View Post
    to be fair india has competed well in this series unlike previous tour
    On flat tracks against an out of form Johnson, and a batting-line up solely dependant on Warner and Smith now that Clarke is gone.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avicricket View Post
    to be fair india has competed well in this series unlike previous tour
    And where Lyon out of all people picked up a 12 wicket haul

  68. #68
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Garhwal Kingdom
    Runs
    10,600
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OZGOD View Post
    First Test - India moral winners with a superb 5th day chase despite taking only 12 wickets for the match and Aus declaring both innings
    Second Test - India moral winners because of Vijay's 140+ at the Gabba, home of bounce
    Third Test - India moral winners because of Virat Kohli's press conference sticking it up to the gor@s and managing to draw the game

    What would be needed for an Indian moral victory in Sydney?
    How about you stopped taking the mickey out of Indians and actually express some gratitude to the almighty umpires.

    You know how your bunch picked 20 wickets, don't you?

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Garhwal Kingdom
    Runs
    10,600
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    On flat tracks against an out of form Johnson, and a batting-line up solely dependant on Warner and Smith now that Clarke is gone.
    You are such an India obsessed troll.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron View Post
    You are such an India obsessed troll.
    Did I not say to you to never reply/quote me ever again!

  71. #71
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Garhwal Kingdom
    Runs
    10,600
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    Did I not say to you to never reply/quote me ever again!
    As you can see, what you say or want doesn't concern me. Stop being a clown, and I won't quote.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    6,208
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    Did I not say to you to never reply/quote me ever again!
    stop being such a Sheila

  73. #73
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron View Post
    As you can see, what you say or want doesn't concern me. Stop being a clown, and I won't quote.
    This will be my reply everytime you quote me:

    Shafiq >> Pujara

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Boston MA (from Sydney Aus)
    Runs
    27,222
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron View Post
    How about you stopped taking the mickey out of Indians and actually express some gratitude to the almighty umpires.

    You know how your bunch picked 20 wickets, don't you?


    Yes there are sports other than cricket. Keep track of what's happening at @SportsPakPassion on Twitter!

    Broaden your horizons. Talk about other sports that the world plays in our Sports Corner forum!

  75. #75
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Boston MA (from Sydney Aus)
    Runs
    27,222
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I guess that pic was from a while ago. Dhoni's hair is still black


    Yes there are sports other than cricket. Keep track of what's happening at @SportsPakPassion on Twitter!

    Broaden your horizons. Talk about other sports that the world plays in our Sports Corner forum!

  76. #76
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    2,696
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    On flat tracks against an out of form Johnson, and a batting-line up solely dependant on Warner and Smith now that Clarke is gone.
    Out of form ? He did well vs saffers in odis before the series no ?

  77. #77
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    14,689
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    This will be my reply everytime you quote me:

    Shafiq >> Pujara



    And Junaid >> Malcom Marshall



    doesn't make it true....


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  78. #78
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    Out of form ? He did well vs saffers in odis before the series no ?
    The series before was against Pakistan or is your selective memory coming into play again

  79. #79
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Garhwal Kingdom
    Runs
    10,600
    Mentioned
    323 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket_Engineer View Post
    This will be my reply everytime you quote me:

    Shafiq >> Pujara
    Ok... I'll try.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    1,708
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron View Post
    Ok... I'll try.
    Shafiq>>FTB Pujara


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •