Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Simon Harmer performance watch

Two wickets on debut on a first day pitch in SA. That is quite an impressive start. Is he the spinner that SA have been so arching for all this while or will he be one of those who will fade away after one season? Thoughts?

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nearly got a 4th wicket there. Splendid spin bowling.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looks to me just a average spinner u see day in day out even if he gets a 5fer he's average

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PTI tsunami View Post
    He looks to me just a average spinner u see day in day out even if he gets a 5fer he's average
    Reminds me of Graeme swann for some reason.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Reminds me of Graeme swann for some reason.
    The only resemblance he has with swann is he is white

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Can't say anything because he is playing against West Indies of all teams.

Let's see how he does against Lanka or Australia on non-subcontinental pitches.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Can't say anything because he is playing against West Indies of all teams.

Let's see how he does against Lanka or Australia on non-subcontinental pitches.
    Lanka and non-subcontinental pitch, huh?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinFern View Post
    Lanka and non-subcontinental pitch, huh?
    as in whenever Lanka tour South Africa.

Probably worded that poorly.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Decent 1st day as a bowler but playing against a very poor west indies side is probably going to allow him to get quite a few easy wickets.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seeing this trio of South African spinners on show in India, it's a real shame that Harmer was forced to choose the kolpak route. He's comfortably better than all three. Based on his performances for Essex over the last couple of years, I'd rank him on par with Nathan Lyon.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    772 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Seeing this trio of South African spinners on show in India, it's a real shame that Harmer was forced to choose the kolpak route. He's comfortably better than all three. Based on his performances for Essex over the last couple of years, I'd rank him on par with Nathan Lyon.
    I saw him as the Saffers' equivalent of Lyon/Swann when I made this thread. He's definitely better than muthuswamy and Dane piedt. Him and Maharaj would have made a good spin duo here.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Piedt and Maharaj have looked utterly ordinary so far during this test. I agree that Harmer had the potential to be as good as Swann. File his name under one that got away from South Africa, along with the likes of Jonathan Trott and Kevin Pietersen.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maharaj is a brilliant spinner,I don't think Harmer is better than him. Indians particularly this bunch play left arm orthodox spin extremely well, even the great Herath has received severe punishment from our batsmen. Not a surprise to see Maharaj being handled easily, but his overall career has been impressive till now. Despite him not getting many chances on SA greentops.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Kolpak again.

Money talks, player walks.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Maharaj is a brilliant spinner,I don't think Harmer is better than him. Indians particularly this bunch play left arm orthodox spin extremely well, even the great Herath has received severe punishment from our batsmen. Not a surprise to see Maharaj being handled easily, but his overall career has been impressive till now. Despite him not getting many chances on SA greentops.
    I follow quite a bit of county cricket and I believe Harmer is one of the best spinners in the world today.

There's a significant element of truth to Indians being brilliant players of spin, but Maharaj has always looked a standard non-turning left-arm slow bowler. He is accurate but he doesn't possess a great degree of variety. Maybe that's sufficient to dismiss modern batsmen, but I'd class Maharaj along the likes of Ashley Giles, Nicky Boje, Abdul Rehman, and Zulfiqar Babar.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I follow quite a bit of county cricket and I believe Harmer is one of the best spinners in the world today.
    I will take your word since I don't follow CC closely.

There's a significant element of truth to Indians being brilliant players of spin, but Maharaj has always looked a standard non-turning left-arm slow bowler. He is accurate but he doesn't possess a great degree of variety. Maybe that's sufficient to dismiss modern batsmen, but I'd class Maharaj along the likes of Ashley Giles, Nicky Boje, Abdul Rehman, and Zulfiqar Babar.
    Current Indians aren't good against all types of spin bowling, but against SLA orthodox they are merciless. They may have a blip or two but overall they dominate that kind of bowling. Our Kohlis and Ches average in the 35-50 range against off spin and leggies, against LA spin it shoots up to over 100. That is why I think it is unfair to judge Maharaj based on his performance against India, even Herath averaged above 50 against us.

I think Maharaj is qualitatively on par with Vettori and similar style, obviously he won't play as many matches but qualitatively he may surpass the Kiwi great. He has done well in SENA and also Sri Lanka. It is only in India where his numbers are bad. Let us wait and watch how he does in UAE. A pity SA prepares so many greentops at home thus removing role of spin, otherwise in Maharaj they have a quality weapon. Not a big turner but subtle, accurate, good control over trajectory etc, his numbers are good as well.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's a shame Harmer in his current form isn't playing for SA. As spinners can play until 40, why not play International cricket and earn the money later.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    I think Maharaj is qualitatively on par with Vettori and similar style, obviously he won't play as many matches but qualitatively he may surpass the Kiwi great.
    Disagree about Maharaj being on par with Vettori. Vettori had the arm ball which was deceptively quick and he also used to give the ball a significant rip prior to suffering from several shoulder injuries. I've never seen Maharaj turn the ball sharply. I just don't see what he brings to South Africa which is different from the likes of Boje, Harris, and Peterson. He's a standard run of the mill slow left-armer. I fear batting standards against spin bowling have deteriorated outside India over the last five years, which accounts for his decent bowling average around 30.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    It's a shame Harmer in his current form isn't playing for SA. As spinners can play until 40, why not play International cricket and earn the money later.
    It wasn't just money, although that played a part, but he wanted job security. He had not been offered a contract by Cricket South Africa and he was struggling to break into the test side because of transformation targets. He chose the sensible route to secure his family's future.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Kolpak again.

Money talks, player walks.
    Actually having a job and playing cricket tends to talk a bit as well.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It wasn't just money, although that played a part, but he wanted job security. He had not been offered a contract by Cricket South Africa and he was struggling to break into the test side because of transformation targets. He chose the sensible route to secure his family's future.
    I see his point of view but money comes and goes but this chance will never come again.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I see his point of view but money comes and goes but this chance will never come again.
    He wasn't offered a domestic contract. If he hadn't made the move he would possibly have had to look for jobs outside of cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    678 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    He wasn't offered a domestic contract. If he hadn't made the move he would possibly have had to look for jobs outside of cricket.
    But lots off players aren't, he did the right at the time but Faf went back after a Kolpaks, he can also do that.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the chances of harmer playing for England ?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    9-80 today for Essex v Derbyshire.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2926 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    He is back in SA squad for series against New Zealand.

==

Thirty-two-year-old Simon Harmer, will return to the Proteas Test set-up for the outbound tour to New Zealand. The last time the right-hand, off-spinner appeared for the national team was against India in November 2015.
    Last edited by MenInG; 26th January 2022 at 14:50.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    571 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has been taking tons and tons of wickets in country circuit since he went the Kolpak route. At 32 years of age he has gathered 726 first class wickets at an average of 26.

He has been the 2nd highest wicket taker so for in the ongoing SA domestic season, Oliver was the highest.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NZ don't even play a spinner at home but good to see him in the squad again. Him and Maharaj could be deadly in Asia.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    only a matter of time, standards in county are pretty low but u cant ignore 700 wickets at 26. should be a good squad player in asia for the next 3 or 4 years.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a comeback in Test cricket for Simon Harmer!

Crucial lower order runs with an unbeaten knock to solidify SAs strong position with the bat, and then took all four wickets to fall in the BAN response.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    SA fans must be wondering what if he had been available during his kolpak years.

He is a match turning spinner.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Underrated cricketer.

He has missed alot of crucial years but he can still have a good career for South Africa. Definitely someone who should be in the team playing on a consistent basis. South Africa have a good spin attack now in him, Maharaj and Shamsi.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Harmer returning might mean the door for Rilee Rossow and some others might open.

'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maher96 View Post
    With Harmer returning might mean the door for Rilee Rossow and some others might open.
    Rossouw hasn't played LA or FC matches in a few years now.