Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

PCB must deal with Sarfraz Nawaz malaise firmly

Whilst we may well have become desensitized to Sarfraz Nawaz’s constant ramblings to any media outlet craving for attention or ratings with his sensational rants, his latest attacks on the Pakistan Cricket Board cannot simply be discarded as eccentric behaviour and seem to reveal a rather more sinister aspect of the former Pakistan bowler’s personality.

For example, in his interview with two separate national English newspapers on Jan. 30, Sarfraz offered vehement criticism on a number of issues including the workings of the PCB and their handling of the Mohammad Amir case along with the Board of Governors member's alleged joyrides, while also targeting the PCB’s Chief Operating Officer Subhan Ahmad in general and unsubstantiated terms.

So, what is the driving force behind this vendetta against the PCB, apart from the now well established propensity for media attention?
    According to sources close to the PCB, the real reason for Sarfraz’s salvos aimed at the Board are centered on his demand for a pension from the Board which is being blocked at the highest levels – exactly in accordance with the rules.

What Sarfraz refuses to acknowledge despite being explained this in detail is that the rules dictate that anyone employed by the Board in any capacity cannot be paid a pension. Many former cricketers in the employ of the Board have been treated similarly. But Sarfraz feels that he must be treated in an exclusive manner – in absolute disregard of the rules.

The casual observer would be forgiven to show some sympathy to Sarfraz’s ‘plight’ until one considers the more than reasonable compensation he has been receiving from the PCB – indeed said to be nearly eight times his pension!

To be specific, his retainer is Rs 100,000 per month, while on the days he is on a coaching assignment with the players at the National Cricket Academy or elsewhere, he receives Rs 15,000 as daily allowance, in addition to the expense on his board and lodge. His overall yearly package comes to around Rs 2.5 million a year!

What is really mind boggling is that in a country where many ex-cricketers are struggling to make ends meet but choose to go about their daily lives without a whimper and with dignity, we have the ungrateful likes of Sarfraz making outlandish claims of impropriety, to further a cause which is downright improper in so many ways.

Why this situation has arisen also deserves some thought and one can only surmise that it’s perhaps the weakness in the top echelons of PCB to be able to deal with such cases in the firm manner befitting an organization of its stature.

In the past many former players and officials have used their contacts in the mainstream media to further their own causes and put pressure on the PCB without considering the proper methods and channels for such disputes. Mohsin Khan, Javed Miandad and Abdul Qadir have all raised issues to settle personal scores. Taking pot shots at the top management in the PCB has become a favourite pastime for some looking for a job or a favour to buy their silence. This practice needs to stop before the authority of the PCB is undermined to an extent that it will end up as a toothless organization.

It is a well-accepted fact that the PCB of today is far removed from the organization of yesteryears where decisions were based upon ad-hoc considerations and political expediency. The PCB of today has shown the ability to organize itself on professional lines and this is exactly why it is showing the resolve to challenge the behaviour of former players like Sarfraz Nawaz, which is essential to protect the reputation of the entity tasked with the safeguard and promotion of cricket in Pakistan.

The time has come to act without prejudice to take action on such individuals who are employed by the PCB and who waste no time in biting the hands that feed them, undermining Pakistan cricket in the bargain. The time is ripe to either terminate their positions or at least put them in the dock and insert penal clauses in their contracts, just as has been done with the centrally contracted players.

Sarfraz may feel that his service to the Pakistan cricket has earned him the carte blanche to wreak havoc with the PCB as and when he desires – for personal gain. Distasteful as it may seem, the PCB needs to take this behaviour head on with all the might of its institutional and legal clout and stop this nonsense before it becomes free-for-all amongst ex-cricketers it employs – not to mention the many coveting plum jobs.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent article. PCB must put a leash on this guy.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This loony makes 2.5 million bucks a year? Wow....

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It is a well-accepted fact that the PCB of today is far removed from the organization of yesteryears where decisions were based upon ad-hoc considerations and political expediency. The PCB of today has shown the ability to organize itself on professional lines and this is exactly why it is showing the resolve to challenge the behaviour of former players like Sarfraz Nawaz, which is essential to protect the reputation of the entity tasked with the safeguard and promotion of cricket in Pakistan."

absolute rubbish. it is a well accepted fact that along with the wicb, the pcb is the most ridiculed organisation in international cricket, including other chairmen pretty much saying so explicitly.

its not one or the other - both can be horrific for pakistan in different ways. if the pcb is so profeesionally run, why the hell do they have sarfraz nawaz on retainer???

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Do you realize how many people have passed lawsuits against Sarfaraz in Pakistani courts? When a country's judicial system is so corrupt to the core, is there really a reason to be surprised why people like Sarfaraz Nawaz believe they can get away with anything?

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sarfaraz, amir sohail, these sort of people are just attention seekers .
    Last edited by MenInG; 1st February 2015 at 04:08.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    618 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    PCB issues show cause notice to Sarfraz Nawaz

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Monday issued show cause notice former pacer Sarfraz Nawaz for his ‘malicious and defamatory’ statements. Nawaz, who is also a cricket consultant for Zone-4, was issued notices for criticising the board and its official in media statements. Holding his actions in the violation of the terms and conditions of his appointment as a consultant, the cricketing body claimed that the statements made by Nawaz are false, malicious and defamatory. The PCB further said that Nawaz had failed to seek permission from the board before speaking to the media. In the notice, the former pacer has been asked to submit a written explanation within seven days on why his contract should not be terminated and why the PCB should not resort to other legal recourse against him.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/sport/0...-sarfraz-nawaz

Interested in talking about your own game? Click on My Cricket

Follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Another show cause notice against sarfaraz. Nothing will happen

Debut
    Oct 2005
    Venue
    Manchester United-Kingdom
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzling Soul View Post
    sarfaraz, amir sohail, these sort of people are just attention seekers .
    They know a lot more then us armchair fans. If authorities had listened to Sarfraz and Sohail we would have Aamir opening the bowling today instead of Bhati.

we will not miss a 'never will be' like Malik. Drop Him For Good.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed-sohail View Post
    They know a lot more then us armchair fans. If authorities had listened to Sarfraz and Sohail we would have Aamir opening the bowling today instead of Bhati.
    sure they know,
    but they are creating a sort of blasphemy.
    giving international media to Laugh on Us.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Former Pak cricketer Sarfraz Nawaz serves legal notice on Shaharyar Khan

Former Pakistani pacer Sarfraz Nawaz has served a legal notice on Shaharyar Khan, asking the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman to withdraw a recent press note issued against him.

Last month, the cricket board in an official press release, had warned the media not to give space to Sarfraz, underlining that any move to do so maybe a contempt of court.

In the said press release, the cricket board had pleaded that even after injunctive order, the former fast bowler is continuing with his vitriolic campaign and leveling false allegations against the PCB.

However, Sarfraz on Tuesday, while speaking to Dawn, said he has legal notice on Shaharyar over the press release issued last month.

Instead of bringing improvement in the cricket structure, the PCB through the press release has attempted to ban my voice which is always raised for the betterment of cricket, he said.

At first they [PCB] blocked my pension, and then made attempts to silence my voice...this is ridiculous. They are trying to pin me down in an effort to protect the gambling mafia, he added.

The 68-year-old also claimed that the court, in its verdict early this year, had only refrained him from leveling allegations against Executive Committee head Najam Sethi but not against the PCB.

Sarfaraz insisted that he never leveled false allegations against anyone, including Sethi.

I believe in truth, which I will continue to speak, he said.

The ex-cricketer has, however, served a legal notice to the PCB chairman on grounds that the court clearly specified that no false statement will be issued by Sarfraz against Sethi in his personal capacity but the PCB has no concern whatsoever in the subject matter.

Sarfraz represented Pakistan in 55 Tests and 45 ODIs in which he took 177 and 63 wickets respectively.

Link
    Last edited by SL_Fan; 15th March 2017 at 10:30.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vandokkum View Post
    This loony makes 2.5 million bucks a year? Wow....
    not bucks , its rupees i think.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    not bucks , its rupees i think.
    Rupees for sure.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  197.5 KB

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he's an utter nut and loose cannon, but I'll always have a place in my heart for Sarfraz after he took down everyone's favorite Pakistani sports anchor

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz demands PCB chief’s apology

ISLAMABAD - Former Test pacer Sarfraz Nawaz gave 15 days time to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Shaharyar M Khan to tender unconditional apology or be ready for court battle.

Talking to The Nation, Sarfraz asked why Shaharyar Khan was defending Najam Sethi. “Shaharyar or the PCB had nothing to do with Sethi and mine issue. I have never issued false or fabricated statements against Sethi, if that was the case, he could have sent him contempt of court notice. It is purely professional issue between me and Sethi, and I, being a former Test player, can’t see cricket illiterate persons inflicting huge damages on Pakistan cricket, which is going down with each passing day and everyday a new scandal about green caps becomes breaking news for different channels, which provides international media an opportunity to play with the emotions and feelings of millions of Pakistanis.”

Sarfraz said he had no expectations with FIA findings or statement given by Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan regarding stern action against spot-fixers and all those, who brought Pakistan cricket into dispute. “I want a simple answer from Ch Nisar, when in 2015 World Cup played at Australia and New Zealand, Pakistan team performance was the worst ever, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had ordered him to conduct a detailed inquiry into the entire issue and submit detailed report to him, what happened to that inquiry? Where those findings have gone? How many players and actual culprits were given punishment? Who were held responsible in the report?

“Answer is simple that nothing in practical was done. The reason is simple that nobody wants to clean Pakistan cricket from these handful cheaters, who just have lust of money and want to play more with the sentiments of the millions of Pakistanis,” he added.

“I have always advocated tough action against all those involved in bringing the cricket into dispute and sold motherland for money. These people deserve no sympathy and must be dealt with iron hand. All those, who have a tainted role, must be given exemplary punishments and kept away from any role in the PCB, as it is the only way to save Pakistan cricket from further downfall,” he asserted.

Sarfraz said he had made it very clear well before the start of the second edition of Pakistan Super League that betting mafia had their agents in each and every team and they had hired the services of 3 to 4 players in every franchise, but no heed was paid in this regard. “Had the PCB and other security agencies taken timely action and precautionary measures, Pakistan cricket would have never fallen to new lows and the PSL reputation could have been sky high. I believe there is still time left, if Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, who is PCB patron-in-chief, take things into his own hands, conduct inquiry, formulate inquiry commission based on neat and clean people including former Test cricketers.

“I have never demanded any favour from the PCB or any other circle, because being an ambassador of Pakistan cricket, it is my national and moral responsibility to safeguard the rights of cricket and cricketers and ensure no one may inflict bad name on Pakistan and its team. Any further delay in action on part of the PM can spell disaster and Pakistan cricket will suffer badly.

He said: “All the players involved in the PSL spot-fixing as well as tainted persons and coaches should be immediately removed and must be banned for life. If they aren’t banned or barred from cricket, they will continue to play with national dignity for money. I request former greats to stand for the sake of Pakistan cricket, I am ready to fight the battle single-handedly in the best interest of the cricket in general and Pakistan in particular.”

“I am returning in the last week of this month, if Shahryar Khan fails to submit written apology, he should be prepared to face legal proceedings,” Sarfraz concluded.
    Source: http://nation.com.pk/sports/20-Mar-2...hief-s-apology

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How about Miandad who is parallel to Sarfraz if not worse.