2015 World Cup | India v Pakistan to join the most watched sporting events in history

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

2015 World Cup | India v Pakistan to join the most watched sporting events in history

India v Pakistan to join the most watched sporting events in history

FORGET Ben Hur, Sunday’s World Cup clash between India and Pakistan is set to be 10 times bigger than the Super Bowl, putting it on the podium of the most-watched sporting events of all time.

More than a billion people are expected to be glued to TV sets around the globe when the two bitter rivals kick off their respective tournament campaigns in front of 50,000 fans at the Adelaide Oval.

Puts the US record of 114.4 million viewers that tuned into last week’s nail biter between New England and Seattle into perspective doesn’t it?

It also ranks it right alongside last year’s FIFA football World Cup final, when more than a billion viewers around the world watched Germany defeat Argentina, and above the 2010 final between Spain and the Netherlands, which drew an approximate TV audience of 909.6 million.

Should predictions of Sunday’s ratings bonanza prove on the money, it’ll also trump the previously most watched match in cricket; the 2011 World Cup semi-final between the same two cricket-mad nations which drew an estimated TV audience of 988 million.

Speaking ahead of the World Cup’s opening fixtures this weekend, tournament chief executive John Harnden was understandably enthusiastic about the pulling power of the subcontinental showdown.

“If you look at since the last Cricket World Cup and the work the ICC has done to expand its broadcast footprint around the globe, this could very well be the most watched game of cricket at that point in time in the history of cricket,” Harnden said.

“More than a billion TV viewers are expected to watch Sunday’s game which sold out in 20 minutes... (and) when we put some further tickets on sale in November, they were literally gone in seconds.

“Then when you look at the tourism profile of that match, about 75 per cent of fans that are going to be in that stadium on that day are from outside South Australia.

“So that passion, from all around the world … I actually think it’s going to be something that probably in this country we’ve never experienced before.”

The fixture is also set to reignite one of the most passionate rivalries in sport, which has tempered somewhat in recent years given bilateral cricketing ties between the two nations were put on the backburner after the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks.

The first series in five years between the two countries was a short ODI and T20 tour of India made by Pakistan in 2012/13, though the two sides are slated to clash in an Indian tour of the United Arab Emirates - comprising two Tests, five ODI’s and two T20’s - later in 2015.

India, still yet to record a win at Test or ODI level on Australian soil despite having been on tour for the past two months, will be desperate to get their World Cup defence off to a successful start and regain some much needed confidence in the international arena.

On the other side of the ledger Misbah ul-Haq’s Pakistani outfit will be out to reverse a worrying historical trend before the expected record audience, with India triumphant in the five previous clashes between the neighbouring countries at World Cup level.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/...-1227216796280

Interested in talking about your own game? Click on My Cricket

Follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    Ontario,Canada- Malak mala ,Chhachh ,Attock ,pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    its the biggest match in cricket without a shadow of a doubt .

For Breaking news on International and domestic sports follow @pakpassion on twitter

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Bay area, CA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do they know these figures? I can understand about the Superbowl but how for the cricket with so many countries watching?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Mirpur A.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Does it include internet streming watchers?

لاا اله الا الله استغفر الله سبحان الله وبحمده سبحان الله العظييم

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt that number but still it will be more than the super bowl for sure.

”PCB chairmen are complex. They are airdropped from Mars."
    Shoaib Akhtar

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3788 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    10 times bigger than the Super Bowl??! I doubt it.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Where there is no war!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I don't think over a billion will watch it at all. 600 millions tops methinks.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watsupdoc View Post
    10 times bigger than the Super Bowl??! I doubt it.
    The Superbowl is only of interest to Americans for the most part. India/Pakistan games reach across the globe due to ex-pats of both countries forming sizable populations in many developed nations right now. The fact that an Indian channel Zee TV bought the rights to broadcast the Pak home series against NZ in UAE is a prime indicator of the power of the ex-pat currency.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3788 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    The Superbowl is only of interest to Americans for the most part. India/Pakistan games reach across the globe due to ex-pats of both countries forming sizable populations in many developed nations right now. The fact that an Indian channel Zee TV bought the rights to broadcast the Pak home series against NZ in UAE is a prime indicator of the power of the ex-pat currency.
    Yes, but still 10 times bigger? It probably would be a bigger event, but I doubt it would be 10 times bigger.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Probably the least excited I have ever been about a match between the two.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watsupdoc View Post
    Yes, but still 10 times bigger? It probably would be a bigger event, but I doubt it would be 10 times bigger.
    Who's to say? Maybe there will be 5x as many people glued to each television set in desi households as there will be in those watching Superbowl? It's a journalistic piece not a national census.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3788 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Who's to say? Maybe there will be 5x as many people glued to each television set in desi households as there will be in those watching Superbowl? It's a journalistic piece not a national census.
    I know. I'm just surprised, because a lot of people in the UK also saw the Superbowl. Oh well, who cares, it's for sure going to be a great event.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only Football World Cup Can Match this Nothing else.

We Have Good Players Just Need to Find Good Selectors

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ever since star sports went from free to air to paid channel their viewership has gone down.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the match between India and China will be watched by more than 2 billion people

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they counted the population of Ind and Pak from their sofas

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so the adelaide stadium will smell like a curry that day if 75% are outsiders, which means mostly are from India and Pakistan

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Delhi,Bharat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    1 billion is too much,population of Pak is less then 200 million,and I don't think 800 million in India have access to TV sets(I assume expat population for both is less then 100 million)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desi_launda View Post
    1 billion is too much,population of Pak is less then 200 million,and I don't think 800 million in India have access to TV sets(I assume expat population for both is less then 100 million)
    Agree but alot of overseas pakistanis and indian esp in USA, ME , UK do add to the number as well. But yes billion is still too much

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    People need to stop criticism for the sake of it.

2011 encounter was watched by more than 900 million. I'm sure it can cross the billion mark this time.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigger than Mohali?

MS Dhoni - Greatest Captain ever

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comparing this match to something like superbowl is an insult to this gargantual deadlock. superbowl is a joke of a game with little value and it's a game held every year where bunch of fat americans get together. No one else cares about it outside america, even in Canada it's seldom you hear people watching that garbage.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Laparwah View Post
    I don't think over a billion will watch it at all. 600 millions tops methinks.
    If 988 million people watched the 2011 SF, I'm pretty sure they can at least match that, if not better it.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by desi_launda View Post
    Yeah because only Indians and Pakistanis are going to watch this match

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidcricfan View Post
    Bigger than Mohali?
    Its been 4 years, population would have gone up, we know we have no control over it in SC.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2042 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Clash Of Titans .

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ali2220 View Post
    Its been 4 years, population would have gone up, we know we have no control over it in SC.
    True.
    But that was a semi final, does not get much bigger than that. That was not pre planned like this one.

MS Dhoni - Greatest Captain ever

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest viewership may be as below (not in order)

1. World Cup foot ball finals
    2. Olympics
    3. India Pak world cup cricket match
    4. Euro Cup/UEFA cup??

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is Super bowl?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also dont forget cricket enthusiasts in every test playing nation if they are able too, will probably watch this match, which will add a lot of numbers to the viewership,
    You have a billion in India, 180 mill in Pak, 150 mill in Bangla, I think you could get nearly 800 million people watching the match from there alone!

Plus dont forget it will be one of the heaviest bet events of the year, so you will get all the millions and millions of gamblers watching the game also!!

So yes a Billion shouldnt be a problem.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Superbowl has nothing on this.

Debut
    Sep 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No one cares about brainless Amercian Football. Only the Americans watches that crap. Cimbined India's + pakistan and Bangladesh population and you got like 1.5 billion people market compare to Amercia's 300 million.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This article reporting 300 million.

Just the small difference of 700 million people lol.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1400056_1.html