Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafael Nadal - Discussion Thread

Shanghai (AFP) - Rafael Nadal was confirmed as the new world number one in the latest ATP tennis rankings published on Monday, pushing Novak Djokovic to second as Roger Federer drops to seventh.

Nadal has 11,160 points, just 40 ahead of Djokovic, who lost his grip on the top spot despite defeating the Mallorcan to win the China Open on Sunday.

Britain's Andy Murray, currently recuperating from back surgery, is third in the revised rankings but Swiss great Federer sinks one place from sixth to seventh.

Spain's David Ferrer remains at number four, just 185 points off Murray's tally, while Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro moves up two places to fifth after winning the Japan Open.

Since returning in February after seven months out with a left knee injury, Nadal, 27, has won 10 titles, including the French Open and US Open.

Until Sunday's loss to Djokovic, he had been unbeaten since Wimbledon, where he was a shock first-round loser to Belgium's Steve Darcis.

Nadal has previously had two stints at the summit of men’s tennis. He first became number one in August 2008 and stayed there for 46 weeks, regaining top spot in June 2010 and adding 56 weeks to his tally.

ATP world rankings

1 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) 11,160 (+1)

2 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) 11,120 (-1)

3 Murray, Andy (GBR) 6,895

4 Ferrer, David (ESP) 6,710

5 Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG) 4,925 (+2)

6 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) 4,610 (-1)

7 Federer, Roger (SUI) 4,515 (-1)

8 Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI) 3,150 (+1)

9 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) 3,115 (-1 0

10 Gasquet, Richard (FRA) 3,095

11 Raonic, Milos (CAN) 2,815

12 Haas, Tommy (GER) 2,355

13 Isner, John (USA) 2,115 (+3)

14 Simon, Gilles (FRA) 2,095

15 Janowicz, Jerzy (POL) 2,060

16 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP) 2,030 (+1)

17 Fognini, Fabio (ITA) 1,885 (+2)

18 Nishikori, Kei (JPN) 1,840 (-5)

19 Robredo, Tommy (ESP) 1,830 (-1)

20 Anderson, Kevin (RSA) 1,775 (+1)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nadal-r...9307--ten.html

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thing is can nadal hold onto these points gained from the hardcourt season in nxt yr?, remember last yr he missed 7months (all the hardcourt season he missed).

this yr he won all the hardcourts he entered this yr except Beijing - of the highlights i watched he miss hit so many shots, especially on his forehand - played like he was federer.

Del potro boosted his london hopes, as murray recovering from his back surgery i can easily see him playing in london.

supposedly federer will again be trying out a new racket (bigger headsize, rumoured 98sq inch) he briefly did this in the american hardcourts but he quickly changed back to a 90

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Venue
    DOHA-Rwp-London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    619 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The King is back to where he belongs. He has had a fantastic 2013 so far

Interested in talking about your own game? Click on My Cricket

Follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The King is Back. Both Swiss mates are finally together neck and neck for the 7th spot.

"Beware of this world, for it is sweet and tempting.”

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    federer lost to monfis - getting embarrassing now, make sure you retire end of this yr

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    del potro 5-1 up against nadal,

hes playing good, bur thrs something about nadal - looking weird

edit 1st set del 6-2

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    amazing game, potro breaks 2-1

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Del Potro has done it with ease. completes the win in two sets. another loss for Rafa in hard court

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    6-2 6-4 potro,too powerful for nadal,

hes got djokovic in final, havent seen djok play past 2weeks but i believe he will beat potro, djok backhand will contain potro power strokes, thus making the points too long for potro.

my prediction 6-4, 6-3 djok

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Djoko will be a difficult contender in the finals. But I expect Potro's powers stroke ahead of Djoko in hard courts

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's disappointing that Federer has dropped so low down the rankings, but hopefully he'll be back with a bang.

"And [remember] when your Lord proclaimed, 'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]; but if you deny, indeed, My punishment is severe" - Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTheGreenKnightRises View Post
    Djoko will be a difficult contender in the finals. But I expect Potro's powers stroke ahead of Djoko in hard courts
    i do hope so, but djok is very athletic, one of greatest returners ever

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1set del potro seemed he was lost, 2nd set potro came out with some real power- also his serve percentage increased dramatically, djok was complaining about something-looked like he was consistently loosing his balance.
    3rd set great dual, but djoko athleticism wins it - his backhand down the line is simply awesome- so close to the line.

O yeh federer - ranked 8th now 45points below fellow swiss wawrinka and only 200 points ahead of tsonga in 9th & 300 ahead of gasquet in 10th

*News federer parts way with annacone - was due/ surprised it wasn't announced after U.S open, you can't serve and volley in today's game- courts are too slow for it to be successful.

Time to go back to plan A- hire Peter Lungdren

Next match basel open, del potro previous champion
    Last edited by finalfantasy7; 13th October 2013 at 18:04.

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafael Nadal announces retirement from professional tennis

Shocking news that Rafael Nadal has retired from professional tennis.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/ra...ssional-tennis

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    What?!

"You come at the King. You best not miss."

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Lahore, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Saw the article. Had me scrambling to the tennis foruns and Sky Sports. Well played larkay!

"You come at the King. You best not miss."

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Saw the article. Had me scrambling to the tennis foruns and Sky Sports. Well played larkay!
    Thanks!

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Lol you scared me. I'm not even a Nadal fan but still I can't imagine tennis without him. I grew up watching him and Federer.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_KING View Post
    Lol you scared me. I'm not even a Nadal fan but still I can't imagine tennis without him. I grew up watching him and Federer.
    Yes, same here!

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafael Nadal defends himself after attending Atletico game and being presented with a shirt

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Rafael Nadal moved a step closer to setting an ATP record as he eased into the semi-finals of the Barcelona Open with a straight-set victory over Germany's Jan-Lennard Struff.

Nadal, 32, is bidding to become the first player to win the same event 12 times and breezed through this quarter-final match, winning 7-5 7-5.

The former world number one will next face 2017 finalist Dominic Thiem.

"I'm feeling better in my game," said the Spaniard.

"I hope to keep improving here at home," added Nadal, who last week suffered a shock semi-final defeat to Italian Fabio Fognini at the Monte Carlo Masters - an event he has also won 11 times.

Nadal also had a struggle in the early rounds in Barcelona, losing a set at the event for the first time in four years in his win over Leonardo Mayer on Wednesday.

Austrian Thiem also had a comfortable passage into the semi-finals, overcoming Argentine Guido Pella 7-5, 6-2.

Meanwhile, Japan's two-time champion Kei Nishikori beat Spain's Roberto Carballes Baena 6-4 7-5 to reach the semi-finals of the tournament for the fourth time.

Nishikori will take on Russian Daniil Medvedev on Saturday after the seventh seed defeated lucky loser Nicolas Jarry of Chile 6-3 6-4.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/48074076

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Would've been a Tennis legend (which he still is) with 25 Grand Slams if it wasn't for those injuries. One of the best ever athlete on the face of this earth!

If life on earth is temporary...what make you think that your problems are permanent?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    https://www.sport24.co.za/Tennis/ATP...semis-20190427

Barcelona - Dominic Thiem stunned Rafael Nadal 6-4, 6-4 on Saturday at the Barcelona Open to knock the Spaniard out in the semi-finals of his home event.

Thiem, beaten by Nadal in last year's French Open final as well as the 2017 final in Barcelona, will play on Sunday against Daniil Medvedev for the title. The Russian beat two-time champion Kei Nishikori 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 in their semi-final.

Nadal's defeat comes just a week after he was eliminated in the semi-finals of the Monte Carlo Masters where he is also an 11-time champion.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2037 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Rafael Nadal says winning his 12th French Open is extra special after a turbulent year where he considered taking an extended break because of injury problems.

Nadal, 33, played just three events in 2019 prior to the clay-court season.

But it ended with a 6-3 5-7 6-1 6-1 win over Austrian fourth seed Dominic Thiem in Sunday's final at Roland Garros.

"I've had too many issues. So that makes these last few weeks very, very special," he said.

"One possibility was to stop for a while and recover my body.

"And the other was to drastically change my attitude and my mentality.

"I was able to change and fight for every small improvement that I was able to make."

World number two Nadal has been hampered by injury problems over the past two seasons, pulling out of 10 tournaments last year because of a combination of hip, knee, stomach and ankle problems.

After retiring from his US Open semi-final against Argentina's Juan Martin del Potro in September with a knee problem, Nadal did not play for the rest of the year.

The Spaniard had ankle surgery in November, returning at the Australian Open in January when he lost in straight sets in the final to world number one Novak Djokovic.

He did not play again until March at Indian Wells, where he was forced to pull out before his semi-final against Roger Federer with another knee problem.

A five-week break leading up to the clay-court season followed, with Nadal reaching the semi-finals in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Madrid.

That meant he did not win a tour title in 2019 until the Italian Open - the final Masters 1,000 tournament before Roland Garros.

"After Indian Wells, as I said couple of times, mentally I was down," he said. "I lost a little bit of energy, because I had too many issues in a row.

"It is tough when you receive one and then another.

"Mentally I was not enjoying things. I was too worried about my health and, being honest, I was being too negative.

"After the first round in Barcelona, I was able to stay alone for a couple of hours in the room and think about what's going on, what I need to do. And since that first match in Barcelona, I think things have been improving every single day."

His coach Carlos Moya says his fellow Mallorcan has shown he is "mentally a genius" after battling through his injury troubles to triumph again at Roland Garros.

"It's been the toughest period for sure since I've been there. It was really hard. He really had to push himself to the limit to be back on the court, to practise, to be motivated," said Moya, who linked up with Nadal in 2017.

"He had an unbelievable attitude in those bad moments and that's what took him to victory today."

Nadal beats Thiem to win French open title
    Relive Nadal's French Open final win
    'You can't be frustrated if your neighbour has a bigger house'
    A table showing who has won the most men's Grand Slams: Federer 20, Nadal 18, Djokovic 15, Sampras 14, Emerson 12
    Rafael Nadal has closed to within two of Roger Federer in the tally of men's Grand Slam singles titles
    Nadal's victory over Thiem on the Paris clay is his 18th major title, moving him within two of long-time rival Roger Federer's all-time men's singles record.

But Nadal has again said catching the Swiss is not on his mind.

"If I catch Roger or not, I am not very worried about it," he said.

"You can't be frustrated all the time because the neighbour has a bigger house than you, or a bigger TV, or a better garden.

"That's not the way that I see the life.

"If, by the end of my career, I am able to win a couple of more Grand Slams and be closer to Roger, it will be unbelievable.

"I am going to try my best to keep enjoying tennis, giving myself chances to compete at the highest level and we will see what happens."

Thiem believes he is on the right path towards a Grand Slam title, despite again falling to Nadal in his second major final.

The 25-year-old Austrian lost in straight sets to the Spaniard in last year's Roland Garros showpiece.

He has been reaping the rewards of his partnership with new coach Nicolas Massu, who replaced his childhood coach Gunter Bresnik earlier this year.

Thiem won his first Masters 1,000 title in March - the tier of tournaments behind the Slams - by beating Roger Federer in the Indian Wells final, and then claimed the Barcelona Open title in April, having defeated Nadal in the semi-finals.

"Even though I didn't win this tournament, two finals in a row, it's nice," he said after his defeat on the Paris clay.

"I think that I have developed my game. I was also closer than last year in the final. So I'm on the right way.

"I failed today, but my goal and my dream is still to win this tournament or to win a Grand Slam tournament."

Thiem matched Nadal for large parts of an intense opening set, breaking for a 3-2 lead before the Spaniard fought back to win the final four games.

Thiem responded by winning the second set before Nadal took control.

"He played outstanding because especially in the first two sets I played very good tennis," the Austrian said.

"What he was performing I think is unbelievable.

"I played very good the first two sets, and then I had a little drop, which is against most of the players not that bad.

"But he took the chance and stepped right on me."

Thiem had 24 hours fewer than Nadal to prepare after his weather-delayed semi-final against Djokovic finished on Saturday afternoon.

He had also played on four consecutive days because his quarter-final against Russian 10th seed Karen Khachanov was pushed back to Thursday after rain led to play being cancelled on Wednesday.

"I didn't feel tired in the match," he said.

"But at the same time, a match like yesterday, beating Novak over two days with all the interruption, it leaves traces on the body and also on the mind. That's 100%."

Reaction to Nadal's 12th title
    Women's doubles champion and Thiem's girlfriend Kristina Mladenovic: "12th Roland Garros titles is absolutely unreal! Very proud to see Domi standing next to this legend of our sport! Your turn is coming soon..."

Fifteen-time golf major winner Tiger Woods: "The King of Clay does not like to share his wealth. Congrats Rafael Nadal on #12!"

Former world number one and two-time Grand Slam champion Lleyton Hewitt: "I see it but I don't believe it... someone can win 12 Roland Garros singles titles. Rafael Nadal what a performance!"

Eleven-time Grand Slam singles champion Rod Laver: "Simply magnificent Rafael Nadal. Winning a grand slam isn't easy. Winning 12 French titles is beyond belief. Congratulations King of Clay!"

Former world number one and 12-time Grand Slam singles champion Billie Jean King: "There will never be another Nadal. Congratulations to Rafael Nadal on an incredible 12th French Open win. A genius on clay, with a tremendous work ethic, he's a role model both on and off the court. Well done!"

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/48576056

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1614 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 Nitto ATP Finals
    Venue: O2 Arena, London Dates: 10-17 November
    Coverage: Watch live coverage of one match per day on BBC TV, BBC iPlayer and online; Listen on BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra; Live text on selected matches on the BBC Sport website and app. Click here for Live Guide.
    Rafael Nadal is "confident" of being fit to play - and battle Novak Djokovic for the number one ranking - when the ATP Finals start on Sunday.

Nadal, 33, pulled out of the Paris Masters last week with a stomach injury but has travelled to London.

The Spaniard overtook Djokovic at the top of the rankings this week but could lose his position as year-end number one to the Serb at the O2 Arena.

Nadal is confident of playing a "good level" in his first match on Monday.

"If we were thinking we would not be able to play, we would probably not be here," he told BBC Sport.

Nadal, who has never won the season-ending championships, meets defending champion Alexander Zverev on Monday but said he only started serving "very slowly" on Thursday following the injury.

"I am confident that I can be very competitive - but of course it's a tournament in which you will face the top guys from the beginning, so you need to be 100% ready," the 19-time Grand Slam champion said.

"But I really hope I will be able to serve every single day a little better and my hope is to be serving normally on Sunday."

Nadal did not play in last year's ATP Finals because of injury and pulled out of the 2017 event with a knee problem after one match.

If he wins the title, he is guaranteed to finish the year as number one - but otherwise, the door could be open for Djokovic.

The Serb will finish the year as number one if he wins the tournament and Nadal does not reach the semi-finals.

Alternatively, if the Spaniard does not play, or fails to win a round-robin match, Djokovic will overtake him if he wins two group-stage matches and reaches the final.

The Serb said ending the year as number one is among the "two biggest achievements" for a player, along with winning a Grand Slam.

"At this stage of my career, in terms of goals and achievements obviously that's right at the top," he said.

Djokovic, who could equal both Pete Sampras' record of six year-end number one finishes and Roger Federer's tally of six ATP Finals title wins, plays the first singles match on Sunday against Italian eighth seed Matteo Berrettini at 14:00 GMT.

The tournament features the top eight players of the year who are split into two groups, each playing a round-robin format. The top two in each group progress to the semi-finals.

Djokovic has been drawn in Bjorn Borg Group alongside Federer.

It means they will meet for the first time since Djokovic beat the 20-time Grand Slam winner in a tie-break in July in the longest Wimbledon singles final in history.
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/50348031.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rafael Nadal's bid to end the year as world number one faltered with a straight-set loss to defending champion Alexander Zverev at the ATP Finals.

The Spaniard, a fitness doubt before the season-ending event in London with an abdominal injury, was beaten 6-2 6-4 in their opening round-robin match.

Nadal, who has not completed a tournament since September's US Open, was out of sorts and error prone.

Earlier, sixth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas beat fellow debutant Daniil Medvedev.

The Greek 21-year-old beat the Russian 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 at the O2 Arena.

Novak Djokovic, who can overtake Nadal at the top of the world rankings this week, leads the other group after winning on Sunday.

The top two players in each group after the round-robin stage progress to the semi-finals on Saturday.

The men's season-ending event, which is taking place in London for the penultimate year, features the top eight players of the year.

Nadal had never lost to Zverev in five previous meetings but against the German on Monday he was comprehensively outplayed.

The Spaniard had not completed a tournament since September's US Open, withdrawing from Shanghai (left hand) and the Paris semi-finals (abdominal), and he had only started serving "very slowly" on Thursday.

He was broken in the fifth game of the first set, netting a routine forehand, and then lost the next five games as 22-year-old Zverev took charge with Nadal failing to carve out a single break point in the entire match.

The Spanish 19-time Grand Slam champion refused to blame injury for a below-par performance, where he managed 13 winners compared to 29 for Zverev, and said he had not been in any pain.

"The physical issue was not an excuse at all," he said. "The only excuse is I was not good enough tonight.

"What really matters is I need to play much better in two days. That's the only thing. We knew that it was going to be tough, because the period of time since the injury until today is very short, but we are here trying."

Nadal has never won the end-of-season showpiece, with injuries often plaguing his attempts. He did not play last year and pulled out after his first match in 2017, with the Spaniard having been unable to participate fully in seven editions of the event.

Djokovic will finish the year as world number one if he wins the tournament and Nadal does not reach the semi-finals.

Alternatively, if the Spaniard fails to win a round-robin match, the Serb will overtake him if he wins two group-stage matches and reaches the final.

Seventh seed Zverev has now beaten Roger Federer, Djokovic and Nadal in consecutive matches at the venue, where last year he claimed the biggest title of his career.

Since stunning Djokovic in last year's final, the German has won just one title and failed to make deep runs at the Grand Slams - with his best showing a French Open quarter-final.

"It is obviously great," he said. "Everyone knows how much I have struggled the whole season. It means so much to be playing here again where I won my biggest title last season. It means everything to me."

Tsitsipas, the youngest player in the tournament, had lost all five of his previous meetings with US Open runner-up Medvedev and the pair have had a difficult relationship since a row over a net cord in Miami last year.

Tsitsipas then called the Russian's playing style "boring" after a defeat at the Shanghai Masters last month.

The pair are two of the most highly-rated young players in the game - two of four singles players aged 24 or under at this year's championships - but Tsitsipas was rewarded for being the more aggressive of the two players in a match that featured just one break of serve.

Asked whether beating Medvedev meant extra to him, the Greek said: "It means more than extra.

"It's a victory that I've craved for a long time now and it's great that it came in this moment.

"Our chemistry definitely isn't the best that you can find on the tour. It just happens with people that it's not that you can just like everyone.

"It's not that I hate him. I guess, as he said, we will not go to dinner together."

There were no breaks in the first set but Tsitsipas played better in the tie-break, earning the crucial mini-break to move 6-5 ahead by winning a gruelling point at the net with a volley.

The second set was similarly tight but Tsitsipas remained immaculate on serve - he did not face a break point in the match - and eventually broke serve to go 5-4 in front, helped by the Russian choosing not to volley a return at 30-30 that landed in.

Tsitsipas served out the match in the following game, and celebrated enthusiastically after the final point as he moved top of the early group table.

Tsitsipas, who beat Federer en route to the semi-finals of this year's Australian Open, won the Next Gen event a year ago - the season-ending tournament for players aged 21 or under.

He said he had "goosebumps" when making his debut in London.

"I watched this event for the first time in 2010, I used to watch on TV dreaming of potentially playing on these courts," he said.
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/50378386.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stefanos Tsitsipas reached the semi-finals of the ATP Finals, while Rafael Nadal produced a stunning comeback to boost his hopes of joining him.

Tsitsipas, 21, making his debut at the event, dominated defending champion Alexander Zverev in a 6-3 6-2 win.

Earlier, Nadal fought back from 5-1 down in the deciding set and saved a match point to beat fourth seed Daniil Medvedev 6-7 (3-7) 6-3 7-6 (7-4).

The Spaniard must beat Tsitsipas on Friday to have a chance of advancing.

Nadal, who is also looking to keep hold of the world number one ranking, could have been eliminated on Wednesday had he lost and his fate is still not in his own hands as he also needs Medvedev to beat Zverev in their match on Friday.

Nadal, 33, admitted he got "super lucky" to beat the Russian.

"This match is one of those that one [time] out of 1,000 you win," Nadal said.

Nadal shows trademark fighting spirit

The last meeting between Nadal and 23-year-old Medvedev was September's US Open final, which the Spaniard won in five sets, and this match was almost as thrilling.

Both players looked beaten at times, Medvedev when he was distracted while he was losing the second set and Nadal when a double-break down in the decider.

Errors from Nadal and a resurgence by Medvedev at the start of the third set led to the Russian racing into a 4-0 lead.

He had two break points for 5-0, and match point two games later, but 19-time Grand Slam champion Nadal showed all of his trademark fighting spirit, roared on by the crowd at London's O2 Arena.

As Nadal clawed his way back, Medvedev lost focus again, sarcastically giving a thumbs-up to his box as games slipped away.

After losing five successive games, the Russian settled himself to force a tie-break and was on serve at 4-5 in the breaker before he dragged a short forehand wide to give Nadal a mini-break and match point.

Another gruelling rally followed but a Medvedev shot that was originally called in was ruled out by Hawk-Eye to hand Nadal victory after two hours 49 minutes.

Medvedev can still qualify for the last four if he beats Zverev in two sets on Friday and Tsitsipas beats Nadal.

Tsitsipas dominates Zverev

Tsitsipas is the youngest player at this year's ATP Finals, competing just a year after he won the NextGen tournament - the season-ending event for players aged 21 or under - but he produced a clinical, mature display to see off Zverev.

The pair were evenly matched in the first set until the Australian Open semi-finalist pounced when Zverev's level dropped at 4-3, breaking serve and then closing out the match with his third game in a row.

Tsitsipas' level increased further in the second set, hitting a backhand winner to bring up break point in the first game and then clinching it at the net after another well constructed point.

He broke again for 5-1 lead soon after with more immaculate tennis and even admitted afterwards he was "surprised" by his performance.

"I did everything right and once again it was not just me out there but a whole bunch of excited people who came to support me," he said, referencing the strong support he received at the O2 Arena.

Zverev, meanwhile, was unable to find the high level that helped him sweep aside Nadal 6-2 6-4 on Monday.

The German lost his way badly after being broken in the first set and displayed negative body language on court.

He will still progress at Nadal's expense if he beats Medvedev on Friday.

Who needs what to reach semi-finals?
    Nadal will progress if:

He beats Tsitsipas and Medvedev beats Zverev.
    Zverev will progress if:

He beats Medvedev.
    The German will also go through if he loses to Medvedev in three sets and Tsitsipas beats Nadal.
    Medvedev will progress if:

He beats Zverev in two sets and Tsitsipas beats Nadal.
    Number one ranking permutations
    Nadal's win means even if the Spaniard does not qualify for the semi-finals, Novak Djokovic will have to win the tournament to overtake him as year-end world number one.

Nadal can also secure the position at the top of the rankings if he wins his final group match and makes the final, regardless of Djokovic's results.

The Serb plays Roger Federer on Thursday in Group Bjorn Borg with the winner progressing to the last four and the loser eliminated.
    Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/50410791.